FAIRYTALES OF SLAVERY

Studio Album, released in 1994

1. Cut (5:01)
2. Fly (3:45)
3. Peep Show (3:55)
4. The Wooden Boat (6:29)
5. Havana Lied (2:13)
6. Cover My Face (3:59)
7. Transit (2:57)
8. Freezing (2:25)
9. Serial Angels (3:21)
10. Wheel (6:23)
11. Intermission (1:39)
12. The Monk Song (3:25)
13. A Fairytale About Slavery (8:48)

Search MIRANDA SEX GARDEN Fairytales of Slavery lyrics

1995 CD Mute 129
1994 CD Elektra/Asylum 61666
1994 CS Elektra/Asylum 6166

Thanks to ivan_2068 for the addition

MIRANDA SEX GARDEN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MIRANDA SEX GARDEN Fairytales of Slavery Music

Pony Canyon 1994
Gush Forth My TearsGush Forth My Tears
Elektra
Vinyl$5.99 (used)
Gush forth my tears (Dance Mix, 1991) / Vinyl Maxi Single [Vinyl 12'']Gush forth my tears (Dance Mix, 1991) / Vinyl Maxi Single [Vinyl 12'']
Vinyl$7.21 (used)
Iris by Miranda Sex Garden (Cassette) US $5.99 Buy It Now 8h 6m
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN rush forth my tears 12" 3 trk danny rampling mix b/w thrash US $8.14 Buy It Now 11h 58m
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN play 12" 3 trk b/w inferno version 2 and my funny valentine ( US $8.14 Buy It Now 11h 58m
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN gush forth my tears 12" 3 trk dance mix promo b/w ambient mix US $8.14 Buy It Now 11h 58m
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN gush forth my tears 12" 3 trk remix by danny rampling b/w rem US $8.14 Buy It Now 11h 58m
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN- Suspiria [269] US $6.00 Buy It Now 18h 57m
Suspiria by Miranda Sex Garden (CD, Mar-1993, Mute) US $5.00 Buy It Now 19h 4m
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN "Madra" CD 1991 Gush Forth My Tears US $9.99 Buy It Now 20h 26m
1992 Miranda Sex Garden E.P.:Lovely Joan, Falling, Fear, Blue Light, Iris-VGC US $2.99 [0 bids]
ANYONE CAN PLAY RADIOHEAD A Tribute CD 2001 album Miranda Sex Garden single US $1.61 [0 bids]
Miranda Sex Garden,CD,Madra US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN madra LP 25 track with inner sleeve (stumm91) uk mute 1991 US $18.40 Buy It Now 2 days
Miranda Sex Garden CD Madra sealed new Mute Records Goth US $3.99 [0 bids]
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN - FAIRYTALES OF SLAVERY (UK) NEW CD US $22.12 Buy It Now 2 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN sunshine 12" 4 track abrasion mix b/w muff diving size queen, US $11.78 Buy It Now 3 days
Miranda Sex Garden : Madra CD (1991) US $3.96 Buy It Now 3 days
Miranda Sex Garden - Fairytales Of Slavery [CD New] US $13.97 Buy It Now 3 days
Miranda Sex Garden Gush Forth My Tears (PS) 7" Vinyl Single US $8.55 Buy It Now 3 days
Miranda sex garden FORTRAN 5 Heart REMIXES PROMO DJ CD US $34.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN Sunshine w/ RARE EDIT 1993 PROMO Radio DJ CD Single USA MINT US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Gush Forth My Tears US CD maxi single Miranda Sex Garden goth downtempo 4 mixes US $7.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Miranda Sex Garden, Peep show 1994 CD Single US $5.45 Buy It Now 4 days
Miranda Sex Garden, Suspiria Audio CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Suspiria Miranda Sex Garden US $0.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Miranda Sex Garden - Fairytales Of Slavery CD US $5.95 Buy It Now 4 days
Miranda Sex Garden - Fairytales Of Slavery CD US $19.11 Buy It Now 4 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN Iris ALCB-556 JAPAN CD w/OBI m508 US $12.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Miranda Sex Garden Gush Forth My Tears Uk 12" US $14.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Miranda Sex Garden Iris JAPAN PROMO CD ALCB-556 US $10.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Rain Tree Crow/Headswim/Miranda Sex Garden - 4 CD singles US $4.88 [0 bids]
Miranda Sex Garden - Iris Japan CD! OBI! ALCB-556 US $20.99 Buy It Now 6 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN "Gush Forth My Tears" (CD-Single 1991) 4-Tracks *GREAT SHAPE* US $9.88 Buy It Now 7 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN SUSPIRIA ULTRA RARE CASSETTE TAPE! MUTE RECORDS US $13.41 Buy It Now 7 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN - MADRA (CD 1991) US $3.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Miranda Sex Garden - Fairytales Of Slavery CD US $9.95 Buy It Now 8 days
Miranda Sex Garden - Fairytales Of Slavery (NEW CD) US $11.81 Buy It Now 8 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN gush forth my tears 12" Record 1991 VG US $14.98 Buy It Now 8 days
THE BALANESCU(string)QUARTET-Possessed/KRAFTWERK/Miranda Sex Garden/DAVID BYRNE US $9.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Madra, Miranda Sex Garden, New US $24.99 Buy It Now 8 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN / IRIS / CASSETTE TAPE / MUTE US $9.77 Buy It Now 9 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN - MADRA - 1991 MUTE AUSTRALIAN PRESSING CD US $22.35 Buy It Now 9 days
Miranda Sex Garden - Gush forth my tears UK 7" US $7.32 Buy It Now 10 days
Miranda Sex Garden(CD Single)Peep Show-Mute-CDMUTE163-UK-Very Good US $6.89 Buy It Now 10 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN Fairytales Of Slavery JAPAN CD OBI US $24.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Fairytales of Slavery - Miranda Sex Garden New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipp US $23.39 Buy It Now 10 days
Miranda Sex Garden Madra UK vinyl LP album record STUMM91 MUTE 1991 US $32.95 Buy It Now 12 days
Miranda Sex Garden/Iris/1992 CD Mini Album EP US $8.14 Buy It Now 12 days
Iris EP [EP] by Miranda Sex Garden (CD, Jun-1992, Mute) US $2.50 Buy It Now 12 days
Miranda Sex Garden cd -- Madra US $6.00 Buy It Now 12 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN- Iris CD (1992 Mute EP) Lovely Joan/Falling/Fear/Blue Light US $7.55 Buy It Now 13 days
Iris EP [EP] by Miranda Sex Garden (CD, Jun-1992, Mute) US $3.71 Buy It Now 13 days
Miranda Sex Garden Carnival Of Souls - US $14.99 Buy It Now 14 days
Miranda Sex Garden - Madra (1994) - Used - Compact Disc US $0.99 Buy It Now 16 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN - Gush Forth My Tears [270] US $6.00 Buy It Now 16 days
Miranda Sex Garden - Seven Brides Iris (1994) - Used - Compact Disc US $0.99 Buy It Now 16 days
Suspiria by Miranda Sex Garden (CD, Mar-1993, Mute) US $6.83 Buy It Now 16 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN Play 12" NEW WAVE GOTH US $4.88 Buy It Now 18 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN "GUSH FORTH MY TEARS" UK REMIX 12" DANNY RAMPLING US $4.55 Buy It Now 18 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN COLOUR Pin Up Poster US $9.77 Buy It Now 18 days
Miranda Sex Garden Play Rare UK CD Single CDMUTE139 US $12.06 Buy It Now 18 days
Miranda Sex Garden - Suspiria - US CD Album US $19.99 Buy It Now 19 days
Miranda Sex Garden Fairytales Of Slavery - US $18.99 Buy It Now 19 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN peep show CD 3 track b/w wooden boat and freezing (cdmute163) US $8.14 Buy It Now 19 days
Miranda Sex Garden - Madra LP US $7.72 Buy It Now 19 days
Miranda Sex Garden - Fairytales Of Slavery NEW CD US $9.26 Buy It Now 19 days
Miranda Sex Garden Iris cd US $15.99 Buy It Now 20 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN - SUSPIRIA [MIRANDA SEX GARDEN] - NEW CD US $10.62 Buy It Now 20 days
Miranda Sex Garden(CD Single)Peep Show-Mute-CDMUTE163-UK-Very Good US $5.86 Buy It Now 21 days
Miranda Sex Garden - Suspiria CD US $13.63 Buy It Now 21 days
Miranda Sex Garden - Peep Show - UK CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 22 days
Miranda Sex Garden Madra US $12.99 Buy It Now 22 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN SUSPIRIA 1993 JAPAN CD OBI 2500yen US $24.99 Buy It Now 22 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN Peep Show 3 track UK MUTE CD SINGLE NUDE COVER US $4.88 Buy It Now 22 days
Miranda Sex Garden Madra 25 Track Vinyl LP US $13.03 Buy It Now 23 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN / MADRA / CASSETTE TAPE / MUTE US $11.40 Buy It Now 24 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN 12" GUSH FORTH MY TEARS argentina ID# 26255 TEST PRESSING TOC US $44.00 Buy It Now 24 days
Miranda Sex Garden - Fairytales Of Slavery US $16.05 Buy It Now 25 days
Miranda Sex Garden : Fairytales of Slavery CD (1994) US $10.18 Buy It Now 25 days
Miranda Sex Garden- Fairytales Of - CDSTUMM129 US $11.83 Buy It Now 26 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN - Peep Show [AC] US $5.99 Buy It Now 27 days
Miranda Sex Garden - Fairytales Of Slavery - CDSTUMM129 - Orig. 1994 UK CD - NEW US $49.99 Buy It Now 28 days
Miranda Sex Garden - Suspiria - CDSTUMM112 - Orig 1993 UK CD - Mute Records RARE US $19.99 Buy It Now 28 days
Miranda Sex Garden Gush Forth My Tears 12" US $8.99 Buy It Now 28 days
Miranda Sex Garden - Madra CD US $6.95 Buy It Now 28 days
Miranda Sex Garden - Suspiria [CD New] US $9.98 Buy It Now 28 days
MIRANDA SEX GARDEN - SUSPIRIA NEW CD US $15.17 Buy It Now 28 days
CD Miranda Sex Garden Peep Show US $3.99 Buy It Now 29 days
Suspiria, Miranda Sex Garden, Good US $6.99 Buy It Now 29 days
Miranda Sex Garden - Madra 1991 JAPAN CD #36 US $2.40 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy MIRANDA SEX GARDEN music online Buy MIRANDA SEX GARDEN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MIRANDA SEX GARDEN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MIRANDA SEX GARDEN Fairytales of Slavery ratings distribution

MIRANDA SEX GARDEN Fairytales of Slavery reviews

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
5 stars Since their debut with the exclusively vocal "Madra", MIRANDA SEX GARDEN kept making changes in the music and lineup, 1994 is not the exception, before the release of "Fairytales of Slavery" Kelly McCusker left the band and is replaced by the talented vocalist and keyboardist Hepzibah Sessa and the band recruits Kim Fahey to take care of the bass, leaving Trevor Sharpe only in charge of Drums and Percussion due to the complexity of the rhythm section of this album.

The first problem is how to describe this album, still we can listen the evident and main Gothic/Folk/Medieval influence but with a more aggressive edge that leaves them closer to Industrial and Post Rock with a touch of Symphonic, probably if we listen carefully we'll find some other genres but the main thing is that this is a clearly Progressive Rock album.

It's a pity that "so called" critics have lumped this band into the underground Goth genre keeping it hidden from the world, because it's not accurate, they are Gothic in the classical sense of the world because they are Medieval and as we know Gothic is the name that was given to the last two centuries of Middle Age music (For God's sake, their first album is only composed of Madrigals from the 1600's, how more classical and late Medieval can it get?). .

Of course is obscurantist because the Middle Ages were dark and obscure but this self proclaimed experts probably believe that the main genre is Goth (The black, vampire inspired rock sub-genre) and not just a commercial derivation of this classical epoch, in the case of MIRANDA SEX GARDEN they keep the Gothic sound intact but adding many different influences in a complex and perfectly elaborated way.

If you are searching for epics and abrupt changes maybe you'll be disappointed, but if you love atmospheric, dark and aggressive music, well this is a good choice, sounds like RENAISSANCE meets FANTOMAS, the result is absolutely scary but excellent, somehow like "The Director's Cut" sung by Annie Haslam.

But lets go to check the 13 tracks (Cabalistic number by the way):

The album starts with an unusual rock oriented track based in a strong guitar and the wonderful vocals that seem to float above this chaos of sounds, the violent violin by Donna McKevitt is simply delightful, frantic from start to end with perfect synchronicity between bass and drums, no time to breath, of course the usual strange sounds add the darkness required.

"Fly" starts with a mysterious guitar surrounded by low bass and keyboards absolutely dark and haunting, the vocals slowly blend with this phantasmagoric atmosphere until a sudden explosion shows us that they have enough power, but again they return to the softer and dark sound and again another explosion that marks the end of the track.

"Peep Show" starts so soft that is almost not audible for the first 30 seconds, but in a fraction of second and out of nowhere the band and vocalists attack us based mostly in drums, bass and guitar, the vocals sound as being in a second but different plane, by moments I feel some Oldfield like sections. But of course with Katharine distinctive vocals.

"The Wooden Boat" sounds much more Medieval, like a return to their early Madrigals album, but the soft instrumental arrangements and strange sounds reminds us they have a post rock edge, very experimental song even when not one of my favorites.

"Havana Lied" is a Cabaret song in German (Creating some sort of WWII atmosphere), Andrew Blick's trumpet (Guest musician) is simply perfect for an excellent recreation, this song prove once again that this band is really weird but imaginative and original. "Havana Lied" is a repetitive but interesting experimental track.

"Cover My Face" is brilliant, so strong, so violent and at the same time softened by the beautiful vocals that seem to hide behind all this aggression, some ancient maybe Egyptian influences that can be barely listened above the Industrial background, one of the best tracks by MIRANDA SEX GARDEN, no abrupt changes, but absolutely dramatic, the ending is an absolute chaos, simply love it.

"Transit" of course starts with the guitar drums and keyboards simulating the sounds you can listen in a traffic jam, honestly too weird for my taste, the instruments seem too fight one against the other and Katharine uses his voice only to hound like a police or ambulance siren.

"Freezing" starts almost like Overture from Tommy, the guitar reminds clearly of Pete Townsend, but the howling by Katharine and the other girls return us to a different reality we're before another strange track, short but effective.

"Serial Angels" is one really beautiful track, different to all the previous, the vocals are not so important, the problem is that the first half is recorded so low that you have to rise the volume to the max to barely listen it, but then a soft guitar and drums that go in crescendo mark the change, to a more rhythmic section where all the melody is provided by a soft chorus.

"Wheels" is like a time machine, from the late XX Century we return to the XIV or XV, this is almost like a cyclical song that describes perfectly a carrousel, seems absolutely repetitive but don't let this impression fool you, each repetition or cycle is different to the previous, as I said starts clearly medieval, but in the next round an instrument is added, first some chords, then bass, keyboards and at the end a beautiful and shocking chaos, almost the same procedure used by Mike Oldfield at the end of Tubular Bells side one, but more chaotic.

"Intermission" is just a collection of sounds like an Orchestra of bagpipes, but in the deepest part of this sounds there's a haunting melody, pretty scary but short.

Now if you want weirdness "The Monk Song" is your best choice starts with the strangest vocal arrangements, lots of howling and moaning perfectly synchronized by the three women who have an incredible vocal range, all this screams supported by the drummer playing the metals, interesting and advanced but absolutely out of this world.

The album is closed with the best song "A Fairytale about Slavery" wonderful and magic track that starts absolutely Medieval with piccolo, drums and completely haunting vocals, creating a beautiful melody, the rest of the instruments especially keys and violins blend progressively creating a second tune in the background that slowly starts to take the lead and relegate the vocals to a second plane, until it reaches a point where the aggressive instrumentation and the vocals mix loudly with a very heavy and distorted guitar, creating as usual a dreamy mixture of the ancient and sacred with the modern and Pagan, a collision between two worlds and two conceptions of music, at the end the melody dissolves as if it was blending with the air and we can only listen the repetitive piccolo. 100% Progressive Rock, lovely and brilliant.

Hard to rate it, maybe some people will say this is subjective and too high, but something as adventurous, weird, dramatic and beautiful can't be rated with less than 5 stars, yes it's shocking for people used to melodic Symphonic, but Progressive Rock must also be innovative and dramatic.

If you never heard of this band, start with "Fairytales of Slavery" I'm sure that Symphonic, Post Rock, Folk and even Industrial fans will love it, probably is too weird and aggressive for Art Rock and Neo Prog fans because of it's extreme complexity, but not everybody has to love the same music.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#61291) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 22, 2005

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!

Down to a quartet, from the five-piece combo of the preceding Suspiria, Fairytales Of Slavery is a relatively provocative and ambiguous album, not just by its artwork and title , suggesting female submission, but also sex role interchangeability as the booklet picture might indicate with two female members portraying as butch and the male suspiciously effeminate-looking. Well sex does sell in music also; check out the women-catering music such as boys-band and teen stars like Britney. So MSG's third album is another building stone and probably their best album ever.

Compared to the previous Suspiria, this album is very synthetic, more electronic but not any less gothic/ from the previous rather acoustic, we now jump to influences ranging from Post Rock/Trip Hop soundscapes (get load of The Wooden Boat) or at times (mostly in the vocals) Bjork mixed with Kate Bush. This FoS album is a more difficult-to-grasp affair than its Suspiria predecessor. Les "folky" or acoustic-driven and much less classically influenced, it is a bit darker too.

Strangely enough, while MSG appears to be on top of their game (but who knows, they probably would've bettered some more), this was to be the last album for six years. Not really familiar with the band's history, I would suppose they had a big "baby break" and started families. But it is always a little sad to see artistes having to stop their career while they are at their peak. Well at least MSG did not overstay their welcome either as generally seems the rule. I would advise most progheads un-familiar with Gothic-influenced muysic to start with this album as it might just a revealming of your Goth aptitudes.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#93432) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 05, 2006

Review by The Truth
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
3 stars I could be looking at this from a not very progressive angle but nevertheless, I find it a good album.

Only Miranda Sex Garden album I have so I can't really compare it to their other releases, but as for this album the heavy use of goth-sounding violins is what draws me to it. The female vocals are some of the best I've ever heard and the variety of material really makes me glad to hear this album.

So many good things with one bad thing, I just can't get into the album. It always winds up background music somehow. It's probably my fault because I'll lose focus and then when I regain it, I feel "How did I miss that?!"

Good goth-prog-rock, I just got to focus on it more.

Send comments to The Truth (BETA) | Report this review (#293392) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Review by Warthur
4 stars Miranda Sex Garden present a confident and polished version of their trademark folky goth with progressive elements on Fairytales of Slavery. Combining curious medieval-influenced wind recorders with esoteric keyboard lines, along with mysterious and evocative vocals, the album adeptly evokes the atmosphere of claustrophobic entrapment in strange magical realms that the lyrics suggest. At times I am almost reminded of something on the border of post-rock, with the unusual instrumentation favoured by the band producing something which doesn't quite sound like any other gothic rock band - think, perhaps, a more avant-garde incarnation of All About Eve or Dead Can Dance, after listening to a lot of late-period Talk Talk and early Steeleye Span.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#1077590) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 16, 2013

Post a review of MIRANDA SEX GARDEN "Fairytales of Slavery"