SUPPER'S READY (GENESIS)

Various Genres

Various Artists (Tributes) Supper's Ready (Genesis) album cover

Buy VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1995

1. Watcher of the Skies - Robert Berry and Hush (6:50)
2. Firth of Fifth - Over the Garden Wall (9:25)
3. Undertow - David Hentschel with Jay Tausig (4:42)
4. Ripples - Annie Haslam (4:48)
5. Back in N.Y.C. - Kevin Gilbert (6:37)
6. For Absent Friends - Richard Sinclair (3:11)
7. Mama - Magellan (6:51)
8. Man of Our Times - Enchant (5:37)
9. Many Too Many - Pete Bardens "Mirage" (2:58)
10. Entangled - Shadow Gallery (6:18)
11. Squonk - Cairo (6:28)
12. I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) - Crack the Sky (4:04)
13. Carpet Crawlers - John Goodsall with Michael Zentner (5:24)
14. Keep It Dark - World Trade (4:06)

Search VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) Supper's Ready (Genesis) lyrics

- Susan Willett / backing vocals

Track 14:
- Billy Sherwood / vocals, bass, guitar, keyboards
- Jay Schellen / drums

CD Magna Carta MA-9004-2 (1995)

Thanks to progaeopteryx for the addition
and to lbdeyoung for the last updates

VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) Supper's Ready (Genesis) Music

More places to buy VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) music online Buy VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) Supper's Ready (Genesis) ratings distribution

VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) Supper's Ready (Genesis) reviews

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
3 stars Few days ago I reviewed "Top Musicians Play Genesis" and mentioned this one as far better of the two. Now looking at the previous reviews & ratings I'm surprised about 2,2 stars average. The main fault seems to be the performances being too close to the originals. That's quite true, but still I'd say this is above the average level of tribute albums (not that I've heard very many). Track selection is fairly good and balanced, spread pretty evenly over the Genesis dicography except that the newest song is 'Mama' (1983). Does someone miss Invisible Touch or We Can't Dance songs here? Me neither.

Faithful soundalike attempts surely aren't the ideal thing on tributes. However, I don't have big complaints about the openers, ROBERT BERRY's 'Watcher of the Skies' or OVER THE GARDEN WALL's 'Firth of Fifth'. The vocals in the latter are a bad Peter Gabriel clone which disturbs me. DAVID HENTSCHEL (the Genesis producer!) with JAY TAUSIG on vocals do a good, and again, quite faithful, version of 'Undertow'. Fantastic ANNIE HASLAM from Renaissance is a perfect performer for 'Ripples'.

And as in the aforementioned "Top Musicians" CD, 'Back in N.Y.C.' is just a bad song to me even though KEVIN GILBERT does a good job with it. RICHARD SINCLAIR (of Caravan fame) gives a charming version of 'For Absent Friends', backed only by David Rees-Williams on keyboards. MAGELLAN's carbon copy of 'Mama' clearly loses to the powerful original, especially for the vocals. Sadly one of the worst Duke songs is represented, 'Man of Our Times', and the vocals resemble of bands like Toto.

'Many Too Many' is a pleasing one, sung excellently by Nick D'Virgilio from Spock's Beard, and so is SHADOW GALLERY's 'Entangled' or 'Carpet Crawlers' by the Brand X guitarist JOHN GOODSALL with MICHAEL ZENTNER on vocals. Again, these stick close to the originals but are fairly good nevertheless. CAIRO have chosen 'Squonk' and manage to add some new things in it. Probably my least fave here is 'I Know What I Like' by CRACK THE SKY. For a closer, WORLD TRADE (ie. Billy Sherwood on vocals, bass, guitar and keyboards) have chosen a surprising track from Abacab album but 'Keep It Dark' turns out to be interesting.

The leaflet kindly lists all the musicians and the cover art is nice. On the long run this isn't as clearly better than "Top Musicians Play Genesis" as I first thought, because there's so little originality in the performances. Therefor there aren't many songs I want to save to myself. Good, but non-essential.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#1064402) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013

2 stars iv always been a big fan of tribute albums because you get a totally different perspective, different arrangement, and different styles(i.e. genre, vocals, musicianship). the first track "Watcher of the Skies" starts totally different than the original and at first you fear that this album will h ... (read more)

Report this review (#230099) | Posted by DASistGrantTeeL | Wednesday, August 05, 2009 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Recording a Genesis Tribute is probably one of the most difficult but honourable attempts for a progressive band. The result would depend on the intention of the band that participates and, of course on the subjective expectations of the listener. Personally, my expectations on a tribute like ... (read more)

Report this review (#156891) | Posted by razifa | Friday, December 28, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Only four tracks deserve attention in this tribute album : "Firth of Fifth" by Over the Garden Wall, "Many Too Many" by Pete Bardens and "Entangled" by Shadow Gallery are good covers although they are very close to the original songs. Kevin Gilbert's version of "Back in N.Y.C." is more adventuro ... (read more)

Report this review (#129045) | Posted by Pylo | Tuesday, July 17, 2007 | Review Permanlink

1 stars There is precisely one reason to get this album; Kevin Gilberts masterful version of Back in NYC. Everything else on here hews far too close to the original sources (Firth of Fifth, Entangled) or tries to experiment without having the musical or artistic chops to carry it off (I Know What I Li ... (read more)

Report this review (#64693) | Posted by Teaflax | Saturday, January 14, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of VARIOUS ARTISTS (TRIBUTES) "Supper's Ready (Genesis)"