Mother Gong

from partners
Studio Album, released in 1979

Wassilissa (22:28)
1. Three Riders (2:55)
2. The Baba-Yaga's Cottage (4:06)
3. The Forbidden Room (2:38)
4. Time Machine (1:35)
5. Flying (4:26)
6. Wassilissa Returns Home (3:05)
7. Through the Machine Again (1:03)
8. The Baba Yaga (2:40)

The Three Tongues (12:41)
1. The Shoemaker's Son (2:13)
2. Land of Dogs (2:20)
3. The Frog (0:50)
4. An Irish Inn in Rome (1:32)
5. The Arena (0:56)

1. Hamelin (1:03)
2. Rats Amok (0:59)
3. An Angry Crowd (2:20)
4. Rat Rock (2:16)
5. A Thousand Guilders? (1:58)
6. Children! (2:33)

- Nik Turner / muzma, oboe
- Corrina / voices

LP Charly 5018 (1979)
CD Spalax 14813

Thanks to BaldJean for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

MOTHER GONG MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MOTHER GONG Fairy Tales Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Mother Gong Voiceprint Radio SessionsMother Gong Voiceprint Radio Sessions
Import · Remastered
Voiceprint UK 2004
Live in the Usa 1991Live in the Usa 1991
Voiceprint UK 2008

More places to buy MOTHER GONG music online Buy MOTHER GONG & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

MOTHER GONG Fairy Tales ratings distribution

MOTHER GONG Fairy Tales reviews

Review by hdfisch
5 stars Well, not much I could add to BaldJean's excellent review, just left to say: A very exceptional record! Three fairy tales with some nice educational messages accompanied with high-class Canterbury style music blending perfectly jazz, rock, folk and classical music. The music fits very well and emphasizes the told stories. Really just awesome and both the concept and the composition of the music to fit perfectly to the tales are really well-done. I've to agree that Didier Malherbe shines absolutely over the rest of musicians although those are definitely excellent as well. The only tiny critisism I'm able to put is in fact that the voice of evil Baba Yaga sounds a tap too much hilarious but that's really marginal.

A definite must-have for everybody loving this kind of music AND fairy tales, and suitable for BOTH kids and grown-ups! A real MASTERPIECE - and this did not happen often during the end of the seventies!

5 stars This album is unlike anything i've ever heard before in my life. Gilli Smyth from GONG and Harry Williamson have created something very special here.Three Fairy Tales are told with samples, affects and most importantly with some incredible music. Nik Turner (HAWKWIND) plays aboe, Didier Mahlerbe (GONG) adds woodwinds and reeds, Eduardo Niebla (ATILA) guitar plus there are many other guests. It's difficult to describe what's going on here because I won't do it justice. Gilli is simply perfect as the narrator for these three stories. And while I pretend to be an adult I am completely taken in by these stories. Who doesn't love hearing a good story right ? And as I mentioned the music is fantastic as we get guitars, drums, uilleann pipes, woodwinds, bass, harp and keyboards. Everything is done so extremely well i'm a little bit at a loss to know what to say here. I just wish I had this when my kids were younger, but you know what I still think they'd like this.

This is a one of kind album in my collection that is done perfectly.

Review by Warthur
3 stars Mother Gong - Gilli Smyth's own branch of the extended Gong family - started off humbly, offering up this triptych of fairy tales narrated by Gilli as a range of Gong and Hawkwind alumni jam away in the background in a broadly thematically and tonally appropriately manner. It's decent enough for what it is, though what it is is a collection of children's stories set to psychedelic music, and in some respects the formula trips itself up - the music distracts from the stories and at points overwhelms Gilli's narration, whilst Gilli's narration often obscures some of the more interesting things the band are doing.

2 stars This Lp was presumably meant to be played to our children whilst we lay around in a gong and bong induced coma. If there was no lyrics it might be a fairly ordinary LP as it is the spoken lyrics are not really bad but do not really fit in with the music. The moment the Witch arrives on the sce ... (read more)

Report this review (#92992) | Posted by burgersoft777 | Monday, October 2, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is mother gong`s first album, which is basicly gilly telling fairytales with incredible gong music over it, sounds refreshing, and could be a gong album if daevid allen had sung some on it, the first story is about Wassilissa who must enter the forest to get some wood, there she meets a w ... (read more)

Report this review (#84285) | Posted by zebehnn | Thursday, July 20, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Well, Im not really an expert in prog music, but I used to listen to some bands when I was younger. Nowadays I mainly listen to classical music (from Bach to Stockhausen), but I still love bands like the early Pink Floyd and Van der Graaf Generator. I think "Fairy tales" is a lovely album. So ... (read more)

Report this review (#70031) | Posted by | Monday, February 20, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is one of the very best albums of all time and in my personal top three. Vocalist Gilli Smyth, she of the space whisper from Gong, tells three fairy tales, and the band supplies the necessary moods to these tales with their music. Everything about it is just right - the way Gilly Smyth tells ... (read more)

Report this review (#69029) | Posted by BaldJean | Saturday, February 11, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MOTHER GONG "Fairy Tales"