1967-1970

rock music collection

Buy THE BEATLES Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1973

Disc 1
1. Strawberry Fields Forever (4.08)
2. Penny Lane (3.02)
3. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (2.01)
4. With A Little Help From My Friends (2.44)
5. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (3.27)
6. A Day In The Life (5.06)
7. All You Need Is Love (3.49)
8. I Am The Walrus (4.35)
9. Hello, Goodbye (3.30)
10. The Fool On The Hill (3.00)
11. Magical Mystery Tour (2.49)
12. Lady Madonna (2.19)
13. Hey Jude (7.08)
14. Revolution (3.24)

Disc 2
1. Back In The USSR (2.46)
2. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (4.47)
3. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (3.11)
4. Get Back (3.13)
5. Don't Let Me Down (3.35)
6. The Ballad Of John And Yoko (3.00)
7. Old Brown Shoe (3.20)
8. Here Comes The Sun (3.07)
9. Come Together (4.19)
10. Something (3.03)
11. Octopus's Garden (2.52)
12. Let It Be (3.52)
13. Across The Universe (3.47)
14. The Long And Winding Road (3.37)

Search THE BEATLES 1967-1970 lyrics

Search THE BEATLES 1967-1970 tabs

- John Lennon / guitars, vocals
- Paul McCartney / bass, vocals
- George Harrison / guitar, vocals
- Ringo Starr / drums, vocals

LP Apple (1973)
CD Apple Corps CDPCSP718 (199

Thanks to PROGMAN for the addition
and to seyo for the last updates

THE BEATLES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE BEATLES 1967-1970 Music

Abbey RoadAbbey Road
Remastered
EMI 2012
Vinyl$17.99
BEATLES - RUBBER SOUL (LTD) (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $24.46 Buy It Now 32m 30s
BEATLES - ABBEY ROAD (LTD) (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $24.46 Buy It Now 33m
COUNT BASIE - ON THE BEATLES (PHOENIX) CD NEW US $14.40 Buy It Now 37m 47s
WALTER LANG TRIO-ACROSS THE UNIVERSE BEATLES SONG BOOK-JAPAN MINI LP CD C75 US $20.50 Buy It Now 39m 19s
Yellow Submarine Songtrack, The Beatles, New US $17.45 Buy It Now 41m 16s
BEATLES - HELP (LTD) (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $24.46 Buy It Now 42m 48s
BEATLES - WITH THE BEATLES (LTD) (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $24.46 Buy It Now 42m 51s
BEATLES - BEATLES FOR SALE (LTD) (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $24.46 Buy It Now 42m 57s
THE BEATLES SECOND ALBUM-ST2080-Cover and Vinyl In Xlent Condition-Check it Out US $17.95 Buy It Now 43m 55s
BEATLES"Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band"-WITH CUTOUT-VG+ to EXCELLENT Cond. US $26.95 Buy It Now 43m 56s
BEATLES"MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR"-WITH COLORING BOOK-VG+ to EXCELLENT Cond. US $26.95 Buy It Now 43m 56s
BEATLES '65-ST2228-Apple Label-GREAT CONDITION Album Cover & Vinyl-CHECK IT OUT! US $22.45 Buy It Now 43m 56s
BEATLES Vl-ST2358-Cover and Vinyl In Xlent Condition-Check it Out US $17.95 Buy It Now 43m 56s
SOMETHING NEW_THE BEATLES- ST2108-Great Condition-APPLE Label-Check It Out US $17.99 Buy It Now 43m 56s
Lakeside RARE Japan 7 single PROMO I want to hold BEATLES funk VINYL soul US $9.50 Buy It Now 48m 2s
Hiltonaires - Beatles Hits In The Glenn Miller Sound US $9.41 Buy It Now 50m 35s
PEPPINO DI CAPRI BEATLES HIT RARE ISRAEL ISRAELI EP US $40.00 Buy It Now 53m 16s
The Beatles:Album sleeve Coaster Set - New & Official In Sealed Picture Box US $13.58 Buy It Now 54m 24s
1st press PAUL McCARTNEY & WINGS LONDON TOWN MINI LP RARE JAPAN CD BEATLES OOP US $109.99 [0 bids]
55m 46s
BEATLES The Complete ANTHOLOGY CD Series 1-2-3 Excellent+ Condition US $24.95 [0 bids]
1st pressing PAUL McCARTNEY TUG OF WAR MINI LP RARE JAPAN CD VHTF BEATLES JOHN ( US $149.99 [0 bids]
ROLLING STONES:LET IT BLEED.BLUE RAY PURE AUDIO.THE BEATLES.LED ZEPPELIN US $35.00 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES-YELLOW SUBMARINE-JAPAN LP EUROPIAN PRESS JAPAN VERSION + OBI I50 US $42.50 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Beatles Beatles greatest LP OMHS3001 VG/EX Netherlands US $27.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Beatles The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl LP EMTV4 VG/EX UK Gatefold US $26.12 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Beatles With the Beatles LP PMC1206 G/VG UK US $84.86 Buy It Now 1h 20m
THE BEATLES second album LP VG T-2080 Vinyl 1964 Record Mono USA Capitol US $60.00 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Beatles Abbey Road SO-383 no Her Majesty EX/VG+ US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
THE BEATLES - LET IT BE - 1ST PRESS VINYL LP ALBUM - APPLE AR-34001 VG+ US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Double rock lp~The Beatles~Love Songs~1977 Capital stereo NO.SKBL-11711 US $13.50 Buy It Now 1h 24m
The Beatles WHITE ALBUM SWBO 101, with Poster Capitol purple lable US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
The BEATLES - Magical Mystery Tour (1967 Vinyl LP) SMAL-2835 w/ BOOK apple VG/VG US $12.50 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Top Of The Poppe - Beatles Tribute-Long & Winding Road CD US $11.49 Buy It Now 1h 27m
THE BEATLES - Across The Universe Again - 15 CD EP BOX SET US $99.95 Buy It Now 1h 30m
THE BEATLES - Rockin' Movie Stars Vol.1 -Vol. 8 - 8CD BOX SET LIKE NEW US $79.94 Buy It Now 1h 30m
THE BEATLES a hard days night MONO MINI-LP CD (WITH OBI) NEW US $15.36 Buy It Now 1h 30m
THE BEATLES CHANSONS DU FILM 'HELP!" FLIPSIDE COVER MINI-LP CD NEW US $15.36 Buy It Now 1h 30m
THE BEATLES The Complete BBC Sessions, Vol 2 Youngblood MINI-LP CD NEW SEALED US $15.36 Buy It Now 1h 31m
THE BEATLES The Complete BBC Sessions, Vol. 1 Dream BABY MINI-LP CD NEW SEALED US $15.36 Buy It Now 1h 31m
THE BEATLES - 7" Platinum Disc with cover - LOVE ME DO US $144.28 Buy It Now 1h 31m
THE BEATLES The Complete BBC Sessions, Vol. 10 - I Feel Fine MINI-LP CD NEW US $15.36 Buy It Now 1h 31m
THE BEATLES The Complete BBC Sessions, Vol. 3 CAROL MINI-LP CD OBI NEW SEALED US $15.36 Buy It Now 1h 31m
THE BEATLES The Complete BBC Sessions, Vol. 4 I Got A WoMAN CD NEW SEALED US $15.36 Buy It Now 1h 31m
THE BEATLES The Complete BBC Sessions, Vol. 5 Glad ALL Over CD NEW SEALED US $15.36 Buy It Now 1h 31m
THE BEATLES The Complete BBC Sessions, Vol. 6 Lucille MINI-LP CD OBI NEW SEALED US $15.36 Buy It Now 1h 31m
THE BEATLES The Complete BBC Sessions, Vol. 7 SHAZAM MINI-LP CD OBI NEW SEALED US $15.36 Buy It Now 1h 32m
THE BEATLES The Complete BBC Sessions, Vol. 8 Sure To Fall MINI-LP CD NEW SEALED US $15.36 Buy It Now 1h 32m
THE BEATLES The Complete BBC Sessions, Vol. 9 BOYS MINI-LP CD OBI NEW SEALED US $15.36 Buy It Now 1h 32m
THE BEATLES UK Singles Collection Volume One MINI-LP CD (WITH OBI) NEW SEALED US $15.36 Buy It Now 1h 32m
THE BEATLES UK Singles Collection Volume TWO MINI-LP CD (WITH OBI) NEW SEALED US $15.36 Buy It Now 1h 32m
LA FRANCE ET LES BEATLES - VOL. 3-LA FRANCE ET LES BEATLES (IMPORT) NEW CD US $27.92 Buy It Now 1h 42m
THE BEATLES: 1 .RARE UK Official PROMO-ONLY Set of 5 x LITHOGRAPHS from 2000 US $371.83 Buy It Now 1h 43m
THE BEATLES laminated POSTER "ABBEY ROAD" LICENSED "BRAND NEW" LENNON, McCARTNEY US $20.71 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Wings / Paul McCartney (Beatles) At The Speed Of Sound Rare Australian Cassette US $37.64 Buy It Now 1h 43m
BILLBOARD TOP 10: BEATLES 2 / VARIOUS NEW CD US $20.20 Buy It Now 1h 43m
THE BEATLES MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR, CAPITOL RECORDS 12" LP US $37.10 Buy It Now 1h 43m
The Beatles - Youngblood - Audifon LP - Sealed US $75.31 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Beatles Regrooved (CD, Jun-2005) US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 46m
THE BEATLES IN LONDON laminated POSTER "LICENSED" BRAND NEW "LENNON, McCARTNEY, US $20.71 Buy It Now 1h 49m
THE BEATLES-WITH THE BEATLES-JAPAN LP EUROPIAN PRESS JAPAN VERSION + OBI I50 US $42.50 Buy It Now 1h 50m
The Beatles A Hard Day's Night CHINESE? LP Orange Vinyl RARE!!! US $112.50 Buy It Now 1h 50m
ELLA FITZGERALD best of BLUES JAZZ beatles VERVE RECORDS ISRAELI LP LITRATONE US $30.00 Buy It Now 1h 51m
BEATLES YELLOW SUBMARINE JAPAN 1982 LIMITED MONO RED COLOR VINYL with BLACK OBI US $189.99 Buy It Now 1h 59m
MFSL The Beatles - Abbey Road LP Vinyl MoFi Mobile Fidelity John Lennon MINT- US $99.95 Buy It Now 2h
BEATLES - REVOLVER (LTD) (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $24.46 Buy It Now 2h 2m
BEATLES - PLEASE PLEASE ME (LTD) (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $24.46 Buy It Now 2h 2m
RINGO STARR ringo LP VG+ SWAL-3413 Apple Beatles 1973 Record US $9.60 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Gary U.S. Bonds (Bruce Springsteen) RARE Israel Israeli NM LISTEN Beatles Dylan US $22.49 Buy It Now 2h 13m
The Beatles - Magical & Mystical Words - Late Sixties (CD 1997) US $16.92 Buy It Now 2h 13m
The Beatles Japan Box 5 CD SET NEW/MINT US $149.36 Buy It Now 2h 16m
BEATLES REVOLVER JAPAN 1982 LIMITED UK CUTTING MONO RED COLOR VINYL with OBI US $169.99 Buy It Now 2h 16m
philippines THE BEATLES I Want To Hold Your Hand 45rpm 7" This Boy US $129.99 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Falkner,Jason - Bedtime With The Beatles [CD New] US $12.22 Buy It Now 2h 21m
THE BEATLES 7" PS Japan STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER s0886 US $25.00 Buy It Now 2h 24m
The Beatles Mug And Saucer Set - Lennon and McArtney - A Hard Days Night Gift US $21.20 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Beatles Mug And Saucer Set - All You Need Is Love Lennon McCartney 60s Gift Icon US $21.20 Buy It Now 2h 32m
John Lennon/Beatles "Just Like Starting. Japan 7" vinyl US $18.65 Buy It Now 2h 36m
John Lennon Shaved Fish RARE DIFFERENT + Hebrew Sleeve Israel Israeli LP Beatles US $11.24 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Mary Hopkin Post Card LP Record APPLE SEALED THE BEATLES OLD WAREHOUSE STOCK SEE US $25.00 Buy It Now 2h 39m
WILSON PICKETT Hey Jude (Beatles) '68 GERMAN ATLANTIC PS 7" US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 41m
EARTH, WIND & FIRE - Got to get You into My Life (Beatles) - 1978 DUTCH PS 45 US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Deep Purple Burn Turkish Pressing Lp Turkey led zeppelin the doors beatles US $49.99 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Manfred Mann's Earth Band The Roaring Silence Turkish Pressing Lp Turkey Beatles US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Led Zeppelin Presence Turkish Pressing Lp Turkey Deep Purple Beatles US $39.99 Buy It Now 2h 41m
PAUL McCARTNEY - Greatest Hits vol. 1 . 2 CDs Digipack 2008 Beatles US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Past Masters [Digipak] by The Beatles (CD, Sep-2009, 2 Discs, Apple Corps) US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Anthology 1 by The Beatles (CD, Nov-1995, 2 Discs, Capitol/EMI Records) US $16.89 Buy It Now 2h 42m
BEATLES PAUL MCCARTNEY AND WINGS "WILD LIFE" APPLE RECORDS US $6.00 [0 bids]
BEATLES - HARD DAY'S NIGHT (LTD) (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $24.46 Buy It Now 2h 43m
BEATLES - BEATLES TAPES 5: THE 1965 HELP TOUR NEW CD US $20.61 Buy It Now 2h 43m
THE BEATLES JOHN LENNON GENUINE DAILY TELEGRAPH COMPLETE UK NEWSPAPER 10/12/1980 US $42.42 Buy It Now 2h 45m
Beatles US $0.99 [0 bids]
The Beatles LOVE SONGS mini LP Japan CD Sealed w/OBI John Lennon/Paul McCartney US $17.95 Buy It Now 2h 46m
BEATLES - SGT PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND (LTD) NEW CD US $24.46 Buy It Now 2h 52m
THE BEATLES GREATEST ODEON EMI PARLOPHONE DUTCH - GOLD VINYL ! EXCELLENT US $49.21 Buy It Now 2h 56m
BRAND NEW SEALED THE BEATLES ANTHOLOGY 1 2 DISCS CD SET US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 59m
Beatles Can't buy me love 7" R5114 VG/EX UK US $25.19 Buy It Now 3h
Beatles Lady Madonna 7" RP5675 VG/EX UK Pic Picture Disc US $43.86 Buy It Now 3h
The Beatles 'I Saw her Standing There' (New 2 Disc CD) US $21.88 Buy It Now 3h 3m
THE BEATLES Original Oz Music Book Magical Mystery Tour US $47.07 Buy It Now 3h 8m

More places to buy THE BEATLES music online Buy THE BEATLES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE BEATLES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE BEATLES 1967-1970 ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(48%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(36%)

THE BEATLES 1967-1970 reviews

Review by Guillermo
4 stars I think that is not easy to choose the best songs from The Beatles and to release them in two albums separated by periods marked by specific years. But this is what the record labels (EMI / Apple) did in 1973, and more with the aim to fight some bootleg compilations done by "pirate record labels" in the early seventies.

This is not really a collection of only Hit Singles, because despite having some of them ("All You Need is Love", "Hello, Goodbye", "Lady Madonna", "Hey Jude", etc.), many songs were selected from the albums and put together in this compilation, and I think that it was hard to do it, because, how do you take songs from an album like "Sgt. Pepper`s...", which is a continuous piece of music with the songs edited to sound like a collage of music, the way it was designed by The Beatles and Producer George Martin? Anyway, it is a very good compilation, in my opinion, and they selected very good songs from their albums. So, for the casual listeners or for the new generations of Rock listeners I think that it is a very good choice if they want to have a good and representative selection of their songs from their most interesting period, in my opinon, which was the period of the so- called "The Studio Years" (1967-1970), their most influential years as musicians and their most matured period as a band.

I remember reading in 1973 about some rumours about a "Beatles`Reunion". Lennon and McCartney were talking about it (separatedly) to the newspapers in interviews, while Harrison didn`t say nothing, and Starr couldn`t see it happen. The main reason to talk about a Reunion, I think, was that Lennon, Harrison and Starr didn`t renew their Management Contracts with Allen Klein, and in fact Klein sued them in the same year, and that legal fight was finally resolved in 1977. By the same time Lennon himself finally recognized that hiring Klein as their manager was a mistake and that in fact McCartney was right about his lack of confidence in Klein as manager. In the end, that "Beatles `Reunion" never happened, but I also see the release of both compilations (the 1962-1996" compilation and this) as a coincidence, maybe to give a "double message" to the Fans: "yes, maybe the Reunion can Happen, but maybe not. In the meantime, buy these compilations to remember their best songs".

In conclusion, this is a very good compilation, not only of their Hits, but all the songs are very good, in my opinion. If you want to only listen to the Hit Singles, buy the "The Beatles 1" CD instead.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#163866) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 14, 2008

Review by progrules
2 stars I will do this second and last Beatles review immediately after the first so that I am relieved of my burden. Because it's impossible for me to review any Beatles release for my pleasure. I will do them anyway so that anyone can check my feelings for this band. And they are not very positive and never will be.

Slight advantage for this blue collection in comparison to the red one because on this one there are at least 1 or 2 two songs I like a bit, on the red compilation there was zero. And those 2 on this one are Revolution and (somewhat less) Back in the USSR. And the best song they ever made (Helter Skelter) is on neither so that's just to make matters worse for me. On the other hand: the worse song they ever made (Ob la di ob la da) is on this one so that's another setback.

Anyway it doesn't all really matter. Bottom line is: I don't like The Beatles (no worry, they don't exist anymore so I can't hurt them with the remark and second: they have enough fans, even on this website) and I feel I have said enough about it. This doubler is a bit better than the red one so then I'm enough of a good sport to give it 2 but it's the best I can do.

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#164502) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 21, 2008

Review by Chicapah
3 stars So let's say that you're a young, 21st century kind of person and a dedicated prog lover. To you The Beatles are so ancient that they might as well be named Beethoven, Mozart, Bach and Haydn but you can't help but acknowledge and recognize their enormous and obvious contributions to modern progressive rock music. Yet not all their stuff thrills you (especially their early recordings) and you have neither the funds nor the inclination to invest a fortune in collecting all their albums. If that's the case then this particular gathering of tunes is within most budgets and has more of their proto-prog songs than any other on the market. It's far from perfect but it'll do in a pinch.

Probably no one was as upset and distraught over the demise of the Fab Four than their record companies in the USA and Britain. Since '63 this group had been a constant cash cow for them and now that golden steer was as dead as chivalry. So they did what came naturally to them. Repackage, repackage, repackage. And "The Beatles 1967-1970" was the second half of a pricey, double-LP greatest hits conglomeration that hit the record racks in 1973.

The progressive angle is well represented here with no less than 12 numbers fitting comfortably in that category. "Strawberry Fields Forever" was one of the first songs to feature the versatile, ground- breaking sound of the Mellotron and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" helped bring psychedelia into the mainstream. The phenomenal "A Day in the Life" remains amazingly prog to this day (although they cut the beautiful, long piano fadeout down considerably here) and "I Am the Walrus" is still a wild trip to wrap your head around. "The Fool on the Hill" with its swirling recorders and the intriguing tempo variations of "Magical Mystery Tour" make them both a treat to hear. "Hey Jude" broke all the then- standard radio format molds with its over-seven-minute length and Harrison's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" creates a captivating, mesmerizing atmosphere with its eerie background vocals and crying guitar licks. "Don't Let Me Down" is a great example of how they boldly veered away from the norm in terms of musical arrangements and "Here Comes the Sun" has that delightfully tricky time signature that made it stand out from the herd. "Come Together" displays Lennon's amazing ability to manipulate words into abstract images and "Across the Universe" is so dreamlike that it defies description.

Good ol' sixties-style rock & roll is included with classics like "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," "Lady Madonna," "Revolution," "Back in the USSR," "Get Back," "The Ballad of John & Yoko" and "Old Brown Shoe." Of course, the pop side of the band shows up in the form of "Penny Lane," "With a Little Help from my Friends," "All You Need is Love," Hello Goodbye," "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La- Da," "Something," "Octopus's Garden," "Let It Be" and "The Long and Winding Road."

Okay, so it's far from being an ideal medley. If I was asked to compile my own 28-tune "Prog Side of The Beatles" album it would kick the living daylights out of this assemblage but I think you and I both know that ain't gonna happen so this will have to do. If anything, the twelve cuts I highlighted certainly show how John, Paul, George & Ringo changed the world and corresponding industry of music and flung open the doors to hundreds of realms where progressive-thinking, creative sorts could wander freely and let their imaginations flourish and thrive. Arguably, prog rock was an inevitable musical evolution just waiting to happen but because of The Beatles it most likely came into being at least five years before it otherwise would have. Any progger worth his or her salt should have at least the dozen amazing songs included here as part of their music library.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#192869) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 13, 2008

Review by Finnforest
3 stars And the golden years

The "Blue" half of the Red/Blue compilation is the more enjoyable for prog fans no doubt, though as mentioned the two together offer the best overview of the band without buying the full catalog. Here we get the choice cuts from the psych-pop of Sgt. Pepper through the glorious Let It Be. For the most part the choices are understandable but when every one of these albums is as good as they are, selecting any compilation set is going to a pretty futile job. All of us can point to essential tracks that are missing. This is why I'd point anyone to the new box set unless you simply can't afford that much commitment. Not much to say here, check individual album reviews for commentary about the songs in context with their original releases. "Past Masters" is the collection that will pick up the singles not included on the original studio albums, and is the best supplement to those looking for those songs. One nice touch with the Red/Blue set was featuring the band in the same location with early and late shots.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#247519) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 31, 2009

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
5 stars This second part of the two-part compilation collection shows the Beatles completing their transition to the studio secluded outfit. With only a handful of tracks from each album, starting with Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and all the way to Abbey Road (or Let It Be), this definitely sounds like a recipe for disaster. After all, how dare they only pick 4 out of 30 tracks featured on The White Album? Still, it all seems to somehow work out in the end!

Just like its predecessor, this compilation offers many songs that were previously only released as singles and it actually works to an even greater effect this time around. I just love that both Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane and especially The Ballad Of John And Yoko/Old Brown Shoe made it to this collection in one piece since both these singles show that the Beatles could write both strong singles and even better B-sides.

Even thought I personally don't consider Don't Let Me Down to be one of the band's strongest moments, I do salute the decision of adding it to this compilation release. If I understand correctly, this was the first time audiences got to hear this tune after it was rejected from the final version of Let It Be which made it all the more exciting.

If I had to pick the most essential songs from all these classic albums there's just no way I could have done a better job than this. Most of the bare essentials are definitely here, even though some of my personal favorites haven't always made the cut. The only thing that I would have wanted improved is the lack of attention to The White Album. Less than 15 minutes out of more than 90 minutes worth of material just doesn't sound right to me! Even if I would rather prefer to recommend the original studio albums instead of a compilation, this is as close as you get to a perfect mix of songs from the Beatles for any fan of art rock, especially if you're not a big fan of this band.

***** star songs: Strawberry Fields Forever (4:08) Penny Lane (3:02) Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (2:01) With A Little Help From My Friends (2:44) A Day In The Life (5:06) All You Need Is Love (3:49) Back In The USSR (2:46) While My Guitar Gently Weeps (4:47) Here Comes The Sun (3:07 Come Together (4:19) Something (3:03) Let It Be (3:52) Across The Universe (3:47) The Long And Winding Road (3:37)

**** star songs: Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (3:27) I Am The Walrus (4:35 Hello, Goodbye (3:30) The Fool On The Hill (3:00) Magical Mystery Tour (2:49) Lady Madonna (2:19) Hey Jude (7:08) Revolution (3:24) Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (3:11) Get Back (3:13) Don't Let Me Down (3:35) The Ballad Of John And Yoko (3:00) Old Brown Shoe (3:20) Octopus's Garden (2:52)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#292874) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 31, 2010

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars I bought this treasure off the shelf in 1973 on vinyl and it was played often, introducing me at a young age to some of the indelible classics that epitomise the Beatles. It was on this album I was able to enjoy all time classics for the first time such as Strawberry Fields Forever, Penny Lane, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, With A Little Help From My Friends, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds and A Day In The Life. I was stunned at how brilliant these songs were. I did not buy the legendary Sgt Pepper album but this was a nice intro to the proggier Beatles era. I Am The Walrus, Hello, Goodbye, Magical Mystery Tour, Lady Madonna, While My Guitar Gently Weeps are hard to argue with.

There are some songs I would prefer not to return to such as Oh Bloody Oh Bloodah, Don't Let Me D - r - own, and Old Brown Pooh, but it is great that the Abbey Road album is well presented with Here Comes The Sun, Come Together, and Something. Across The Universe is an excellent song that captured my young imagination and what a way to end it with the quintessential The Long And Winding Road.

So for me this is an indispensable album introducing the best Beatles songs of the time, and as a fan of Wings I was drawn to this album, though I did not own many Beatles albums in those days. This compilation managed to fill in the gaps for many newcomers to the group. I give it 4 stars for the excellent material contained therein.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#399492) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 12, 2011

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
3 stars These compilations (Red and Blue) were probably my introduction to The Beatles as a teenager. The early years didn't interest me at all but from here I must have taped several songs. Of course I soon listened to many of the albums too, but naturally both these kinds of compilations and the radio play shapes your Beatles knowledge, and the certain best known songs will be best known to you too.

I can tell you straight away that this tiny essay (not actually a review) won't be any use for anyone, not even myself. I just thought to see how big is the contradiction between The Beatles hit canon (against which it wouldn't make much sense to attack) and my own Beatles relationship today, when I have revisited their later catalogue. My favourite albums are - in this order - Abbey Road (miles ahead!), The Beatles,... Sgt Pepper... maybe I'd find some great stuff from albums like Revolver and Rubber Soul too, but this far my album list hesitatingly continues, and more or less ends, with Let It Be. This doesn't prevent me still enjoying some well known songs outside these mentioned albums, but my personal favourite selection would differ a lot from this compilation.

OK, let's first list the songs I dislike: 'All You Need Is Love' (aaarrgghh!!!!!), 'Ob-La-Di, Ob-La- Da', 'Hello, Goodbye' and 'Magical Mystery Tour' are the most obvious ones, and then there are some theoretically good songs I wouldn't include into my own CD in fear of an earworm effect: 'Penny Lane', 'Get Back', 'Back in the USSR' and 'Here Comes The Sun' (sorry George, still it's a great song really!).

Looking at the rest, I'm beginning to think that after all this is a pretty good treasury of famous Beatles songs. One couln't possibly escape classics like 'Strawberry Fields Forever', 'A Day in the Life', 'With a Little Help From My Friends', 'Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds', 'Hey Jude', 'Fool on the Hill', 'Across The Universe', 'I Am The Walrus' or the admittedly syrupy 'Long And Winding Road'. Great choices are also George Harrison's 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' and 'Something', 'Don't Let Me Down' and 'Come Together'.

Of course I'd replace many songs by others I like more, but finally: are there omitted songs that should be in the canon? I'd suggest 'I Want You (She's So Heavy'), at least 'You Never Give Me Youir Money' from Abbey Road Medley, and then some less played album tracks from Sgt Pepper and The Beatles to increase artistic impact and variety. But they never make compilations with that aspect in mind... Nevertheless, a fairly decent compilation in all its loyalty to the canon of the Fab Four's most played songs 1967-1970.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#602248) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 03, 2012

4 stars I guess The Beatles does not need any introduction. This band is the godfathers of pop music and to a large extent; progressive rock too. It is debatable if the Sgt. Peppers album is the first ever progressive rock album. For me; the most interesting The Beatles era is the 1966-70 era. The s ... (read more)

Report this review (#187613) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Saturday, November 01, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is probably the best compilation/best-of of all times. This is my favorite (and from far) Beatles period. I simply adore Magical Mystery Tour, The Fool On The Hill, A Day In The Life, Strawberry Fields Forever, Lady Madonna, The Ballad Of John And Yoko, Across The Universe, and I could quot ... (read more)

Report this review (#163818) | Posted by Zardoz | Thursday, March 13, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is good as far as Beatles compilations go (and God knows there are a LOT of them!) As the name suggests, this two disc set highlights some of The Beatles best works from the years of 1967-1970. It gives one a good picture of Beatles songwriting during this period, and is an excellent aid for ... (read more)

Report this review (#108608) | Posted by Scapler | Tuesday, January 23, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars The second part of The Beatles first compilation covers the years 1967-1970. IMHO their better era (One can count in 1966 too.) and for the Prog fan the more interesting on since this is when they made their 'proto-prog' music. Of course, this means it's better to buy the original albums instead ... (read more)

Report this review (#86342) | Posted by Frasse | Wednesday, August 09, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The best compilation ever released by The Fab Four and one of the first vinyls that I had in my childhood!! It has famous tunes from the psychedelic-experimental era and some tracks previously released as singles or EP songs. Some of my favorites are there: colored palette of sounds as 'Strawb ... (read more)

Report this review (#70326) | Posted by | Thursday, February 23, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE BEATLES "1967-1970"