LIVE AT THE OLYMPIA 96

Buy DEEP PURPLE Music
Live, released in 1997

CD1 (50:40)
1. Fireball (4:48)
2. Maybe I'm A Leo (5:18)
3. Ted The Mechanic (4:21)
4. Pictures Of Home (5:58)
5. Black Night (6:28)
6. Cascades: I'm Not Your Lover (10:08)
7. Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming (7:03)
8. Woman From Tokyo (5:34)
9. No One Came (6:03)
10. The Perpendicular Waltz (5:02)

CD2 (52:00)
1. Rosa's Cantina (5:53)
2. Smoke On The Water (9:00)
3. When A Blind Man Cries (6:54)
4. Speed King (9:22)
5. Perfect Strangers (6:11)
6. Hey Cisco (5:50)

- Ian Paice / drums
- Roger Glover / bass & backing vocals

With:
- Vincent Chavagnac, Eric Mula & Christian Fouquet / horns

2 CD EMI 7243 8 57982 2 1 (1997, UK)

Thanks to NELMOMEDELPROG for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

DEEP PURPLE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DEEP PURPLE Live At The Olympia 96 Music

Deluxe Edition · CD+DVD · Extra tracks
Eagle Rock Entertainment 2013
Graz 1974Graz 1974
Imports 2014
Deep Purple Slaves And Masters Tour Ticket (Hammersmith Odeon 15/03/1991) US $4.16 [3 bids]
35m 54s
DEEP PURPLE ~ MADE IN EUROPE ~ US ORIG vinyl lp SHRINK WRAP NM- TOP COPY! US $25.00 Buy It Now 39m 9s
NEW - DEEP PURPLE MACHINE HEAD 12" VINYL LP + BONUS 7" 45 WHEN A BLIND MAN CRIES US $31.89 Buy It Now 40m 23s
ROGER GLOVER (OF DEEP PURPLE) elements 2391 306 A1/B1 1st press uk LP PS EX+/VG+ US $16.24 [0 bids]
43m 26s
IAN GILLAN BAND Live At Budokhan VIRGIN RECORDS 1978 2lp Near Mint DEEP PURPLE US $24.95 Buy It Now 50m 39s
Roger Glover The Butterfly ball - 1986 Line Records / Deep Purple US $9.99 Buy It Now 51m 48s
4-2 DEEP PURPLE,1 JIMMY PAGE, &1 ROBERT PLANT VINYL ALBUMS 12" 1970 US $13.00 [0 bids]
58m 43s
GILLAN GLOVER (Deep Purple) - Dislocated - 7 inch vinyl in Picture Sleeve. US $9.73 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Mojo - Heavy Mod - Small Faces, Deep Purple, The Creation, The Yardbirds NEW CD US $8.10 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Deep Purple Dedicate... Rare Live 4 CD Tokyo Japan 2014 Lim.Digipack Japan US $193.27 Buy It Now 1h 27m
KEVIN HART LATIN JAZZ QUINTET: Corazon (SS/1996/USA/10 TRACKS/DEEP PURPLE!) US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Deep Purple Knocking at Your Backdoor CD US $3.49 Buy It Now 1h 29m
DEEP PURPLE SMOKE ON THE WATER LIVE ( CD ) US $19.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE in concert 2002 tour programme 32 pages INCLUDES jon lord US $4.86 [2 bids]
Deep Purple BURN UK LP PURPLE RECORDS ONE PLAY OUTSTANDING PLAY 100% MINT!! US $79.58 [11 bids]
WHITESNAKE / COME AND GET IT - Japan w/obi DEEP PURPLE US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 38m
Deep Purple - Live at Montreux 2006 (Live Recording, 2013) CD + DVD US $17.85 Buy It Now 1h 39m
CLASSIC ROCK MAGAZINE Nov 2004-Cat Stevens/Deep Purple/Velvet Revolver/Finn Bros US $17.85 Buy It Now 1h 43m
DEEP PURPLE -THE HOUSE OF BLUE LIGHT- PROMOTIONAL ALBUM- Vinyl Record LP US $9.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple Extended Versions CD US $3.96 Buy It Now 1h 48m
SUNSTORM SAME SPEC. RUSSIA EDITION VERY RARE JOE LYNN TURNER RAINBOW DEEP PURPLE US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
BLACKMORE'S NIGHT THE VILLAGE LANTERNE SPEC. RUSSIA EDITION DEEP PURPLE RAINBOW US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Listen Learn Read on by Deep Purple US $203.98 Buy It Now 1h 48m
DEEP PURPLE: The Best Of Deep Purple (rock & pop vinyl LP) US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Deep Purple Fireball 1971 WB 2564 LP US $10.00 [0 bids]
Deep Purple - Now What?! Gold Edition [CD New] US $21.78 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Deep Purple - Who Do We Think We Are 24 KT Gold CD US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 56m
Deep Purple - New Live & Rare Black Night (LIVE) 7" 1973 VG Purple PUR135 US $5.67 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Total Guitar CD no.238 Learn to play: Muse, Deep Purple, The Darkness [A22] US $4.04 [0 bids]
(2) "DEEP PURPLE" 1974 "LIVE IN SAN DIEGO" + "PROMO" KNOCKING AT YOUR BACK DOOR US $29.99 [0 bids]
THE FROST ? THROUGH THE EYES OF LOVE LP DEEP PURPLE NUGENT KISS ALICE COOPER MC5 US $19.99 [0 bids]
THE FROST ? FROST MUSIC LP DEEP PURPLE RAINBOW HENDRIX CREAM ACDC ALICE COOPER US $19.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - THE COLLECTION CD - IMPORT - BRAND NEW CD US $3.52 Buy It Now 2h 8m
VG++ Deep Purple The Book of Taliesyn Tetragrammaton T-107 LP Odd Label US $19.54 Buy It Now 2h 15m
DEEP PURPLE LOGO EMBROIDERED PATCH US $6.65 Buy It Now 2h 19m
DEEP PURPLE EMBROIDERED PATCH US $6.65 Buy It Now 2h 19m
NINO TEMPO & APRIL STEVENS Deep Purple 45 ATCO 6273 EX+ (45s-3011) US $6.49 Buy It Now 2h 20m
DEEP PURPLE JAPAN (SHM) MINI LP 8 TITLE (8 CD) "BURN" BOX SET BRAND NEW US $165.00 [14 bids]
Jon Lord ( Whitesnake Deep Purple ) West Germany 1987 CD Sarabande US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 26m
DEEP PURPLE"PERFECT STRANGER" RUSSIAN LP NEW UNPLAYED LUMINATED COVER US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 32m
DEEP PURPLE California Jam April 6th 1974 TE-D007 LD AE5625 US $39.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Made in Europe P-10262W LP Af7287 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE The House of Blue Light 28MM0556 LP Af7273 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Shades of Deep Purple P-8367W LP Af7092 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Burn P-8419W LP Af7090 US $8.50 [2 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Deep Purple Live in Japan P-5506W OBI 2LP AF3138 US $13.50 [3 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Deep Purple and The Royal P-10331W OBI LP AF3131 US $8.49 [2 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Deep Purple and The Royal Philharonic BP-8962 LP AF3150 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Machine Head P-8224W OBI LP AF7088 US $8.50 [2 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Burn P-10104W LP Ad4379 US $7.99 [1 bids]
WAYNE KING True Love / Deep Purple 45 Decca 25700 VG (45s-3602) US $6.49 Buy It Now 2h 43m
DEEPEST PURPLE "NM WAX" The Very Best of Deep Purple P-10914W LP Ad2295 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Live in Japan P-5506W 2LP AE3705 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Power House P-10444W OBI LP Af3344 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEPEST PURPLE "NM WAX" The Very Best of Deep Purple P-10914W OBI LP Ac6952 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Machine Head P-10130W LP Z0658 US $8.50 [2 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Live in Japan P-5066W 2LP AF7101 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE In Rock P-8020W LP AF7089 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX / POSTER" Machine Head P-8224W LP AF7095 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PUPRLE "NM WAX" Deep Purple in Rock P-10108W LP I2315 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEPE PURPLE The Very Best of Deep Purple P-10914W OBI LP Ae3914 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Purple Passages P-5171W OBI 2LP AF4251 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "POSTER" Machine Head P-8224W LP AF3116 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Last Concert in Japan P-10370W OBI LP Af3149 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Deep Purple in Rock P-8020W LP AF3132 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX / POSTER" Machine Head P-10130W LP AD5258 US $8.50 [2 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "POSTER / NM WAX" Power House P-10444W OBI LP I6078 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Fireball P-8092W LP AF7091 US $8.50 [2 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Perfect Strangers 25MM0401 OBI LP i7545 US $7.99 [1 bids]
Deep Purple White Label Promo Promo 45 - Black Night / Into The Fire Warner Bros US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 46m
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Made in Europe P-10262W OBI LP z2695 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Made in Europe P-10262W OBI LP Af7086 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Last Concert in Japan P-10370W OBI LP Ad4377 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Burn P-10104W LP i5260 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Deep Purple Live in Japan P-5506W OBI 2LP AD1368 US $11.50 [3 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Made in Europe P-10262W OBI LP Ad3482 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "POSTER / NM WAX" Power House P-10444W OBI LP AC2593 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Deep Purple Live in Japan P-5506W 2LP I3861 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Deep Purple in Concert TRSH-3001 OBI 2LP I2545 US $15.50 [3 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Shades of Deep Purple P-8367W LP w5965 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEPEST PURPLE "NM WAX" The Very Best of Deep Purple P-10914W OBI LP q4976 US $7.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Deep Purple Live In Japan P-5506W OBI 2LP T0872 US $7.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "BLACK NIGHT BEST" IMPORT US $20.99 Buy It Now 2h 53m
DEEP PURPLE - DEEP PURPLE COLLECTION NEW DVD US $41.96 Buy It Now 2h 55m
Deep Purple Made in Japan 8 Track Tape TESTED US $6.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - PERFECT STRANGERS LP VINYL RECORD ALBUM US $12.99 [0 bids]
Ian Gillan Band - 2 x LPs - child in time + clear air turbulence - deep purple US $8.10 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE-WHO DO WE THINK WE ARE (OGV) VINYL LP NEW US $32.92 Buy It Now 3h 8m
DEEP PURPLE-COME TASTE THE BAND CD NEW US $15.70 Buy It Now 3h 8m
DEEP PURPLE-MADE IN EUROPE (LTD) (OGV) VINYL LP NEW US $32.20 Buy It Now 3h 8m
DEEP PURPLE-SLAVES AND MASTERS: THE DELUXE EDITIO... CD NEW US $17.22 Buy It Now 3h 8m
DEEP PURPLE-FIREBALL (LTD) (OGV) VINYL LP NEW US $32.88 Buy It Now 3h 8m
DEEP PURPLE-STORMBRINGER (LTD) (OGV) VINYL LP NEW US $32.24 Buy It Now 3h 8m

More places to buy DEEP PURPLE music online Buy DEEP PURPLE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DEEP PURPLE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DEEP PURPLE Live At The Olympia 96 ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(29%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(35%)

DEEP PURPLE Live At The Olympia 96 reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars This double CD set is form their "Perpendicular" tour. It has been called an "official bootleg". It was issued short after the tour probably to by-pass the parallel market. Good idea.

It was recorded at the Olympia in Paris (mythical concert hall where Hendrix started his continental European career - November 1967 - amongst zillions of other great bands) This live set is absolutely no filler in your Purple collection. It really belongs to the best of their "offical" live repertoire. What's interesting to discover is :

1. Some tracks from "Perpendicular" which was really a good album.

2. The fact that they will play some very old tracks which were little performed at the time of their release.

The opener "Fireball" is one of them. It is one of the fastest number in the whole hard rock history. It ends with the riff from "Into the Fire"'s intro (from "In Rock"). Some words in French from Ian which is always nice to hear while playing in France. I guess that the Purple wanted to thank their older fan database by including less known number form their glorious Mark II era like "Maybe I'm A Leo" (from "Machine Head"). This song was my least preferred from the studio album but it is always nice to listen to it as a "souvenir" of my youth (I was eleven when I discovered the Deep (in 1970).

It is rather interesting to hear "Ted" just after this one because there are some similaraties although both numbers are separated by twenty-four years ! This one is also not my first choice on "Perpendicular". I would have liked them to play "Loosen My Strings" but this one will remain a hidden gem (like "Flying Of The Rat" and "Hard Lovin' Man").

Another fabulous song is "Pictures Of Home". IMO, the second best on "Machine Head" (after "Highway Star" of course). These songs are pretty similar in their struture. "Pictures" being more melodious. This live version is SUPERB. Morse doing an excellent job during his solo. A highlight.

I have already said my meaning about the current format for "Black Night" and "Smoke" : the audience participation just bores me to hell (even when I attend). So, no variation here. Both tracks are great as long as the audience is not involved. Jon Lord will perfrom a very good keyboard solo during "Black Night". The last two minutes are absolutely not worth and dull (you'd better edit them), even if Gillan is saying "Magnifique" after the track... (referring to the audience's performance).

"Cascades" was a good number from Perpendicular. This live rendition is almost double in lenght. We have the first "weird" sounds which will accompany several tracks till the end of the concert. I refer to a trio of trumpets, trombone and saxophone. What the hell is the need for this ???

In this song, they are not so present so it is not as annoying as in others. Morse again is brilliant. The mid section is incredible : you would say that Howe and Wakeman are playing with the Purple ! This part truely belongs to the Yes repertoire (as incredible as it might sound). Quite interesting. We'll get back to the hard rock side after four minutes or so.

The intro for "Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming" is quite funny. Gillan describes this feeling as follows : "At times, you ordered something from the room service, and one hour later they still haven't delivered. So, there is only one cure for this : it is to go down at the bar, have a few glass of whatever it takes you fancy together with your friends and it's called "I Feel Like..."). This is not the first time that Purple's lyrics refer to the life of a band while touring. This rendition is at times harder than the studio one but the end of the song is quite emotional during Steve's solo. Wonderful.

"Woman from Tokyo" will finally been played in its full version ! It is only justice for this great number. During the supporting tour for "The Battle Rages On" they will shorten it to about ... two minutes. So, here we have the full version which is great.

Another very old one from "Fireball" : "No One Came". I liked (and still do) that song pretty much (as the whole album by the way - I rated it four star). The problem here (and it is more noticeable than on "Cascades") are the brass. Absolutely out of purpose. Are we at a Vegas show or what ???

"Rosas Cantina" was one of the weakest song from "Perpendicular" so I do not know why they included it in their tour. Useless. "When A Blind Man Cries" is a lost gem from their "Machine Head" period. It will be released as B-side for "Never Before" and "Lazy" (edited version). It is a fabulous rock ballad like the Purple will release very few (too few actually). I do not know if Steve Morse was involved in its inclusion in the set list for that tour, cause maybe it reminded him a bit of "Dust In The Wind" (although he was not yet with Kansas at that time). The Wakemanesque intro is a wonderful moment. The whole track is just splendid, but so different from the usual Purple catalogue (that' s probably why they did not release it on "Machine Head" although it deserved it with no doubt.

Next song will be introduced as : "A ballad for you, and it's called ...". We get some nice little classic notes from Jon and then the monster starts : "Speed King". No intro as is the European release of "In Rock" but we are turned immediately into this crazy Purple tune. This version is quite extended. It is quite jam oriented for about three minutes, then we get a good drum solo from the master for about 1'30", then back to the jam. It reminds me more of the early days of Mark II, when jam was a second nature during Purple's concerts. With "Speed King" this tendency will last quite a while : I attended one of their concert in September 1998 and it lasted at least for fifteen minutes. But, I'm not complaining. This was the last song of their show. Gillan will say : "You've been fantastic, even the cool ones".

The first encore will be "Perfect Strangers". It's a bit a pity that so few songs from their reunion album (already twelve years old, of course) will be featured. Actually, there was unfortunately never a promotional tour for this album (lack of confidence maybe) ?

When the band comes back on stage, he will mention that the Olympia is quite a special place for them. They came to Paris a few months before (in March 1996 at "Le Zenith") but were asked to come back and perform at the Olympia. And they said "Yes". Who can refuse to perform at the "Olympia" ? "Hey Cisco" as the second encore works pretty well. Hard rocking like hell. It is a marvelous song. Full of power and dynamics.

Before the last encore, Ian will start trying some French exercise but will leave the floor to Jon. Still, he wil start in English and after a few words he will switch to French to introduce the three French guests who where on stage (trompet, sax and trombone). You can realize he must know some good French since he will say in his speech : "A gauche, mais pas si gauche", which is a play on word to say : "On my left, but not as awkward".

Purple will close the show with the best song of the Purple's entire catalogue (together with "Child In Time" of course) : "Highway star". Is there a best way to close a Purple concert nowadays ? I do not think so.

The sound is great. The track list is great. The Purple was in a great shape. In terms of prog, there were about three minutes of it during "Cascades"and twenty seconds in the intro for "Speed King" and a minute or so during the intro for "When A Blind Man Cries". The whole rest of the album is 200% hard rock like Purple will always deliver in their live sets.

Four stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#107452) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 14, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars Balanced Setlist, Good Performance

It seems to me like Deep Purple Mark II without Ritchie Blackmore. And I like Steve Morse guitar playing. It's quite surprising that this official bootleg has a good quality of studio and enjoyable to spin the CD. The first impression you might get from this live album is the setlist that combines nicely the old tunes as well as the new ones. From the opening part "Fireball" you might guess that the band still have a drive to play it after decades of the first release. The opening dynamic drumming work makes this song energetic and uplifting. It reminds me to the old days when the 70s music was in its glory days. It flows to the next classic song "Maybe I'm A Leo" which caught into my attention because I did not really pay into attention the original version of this song. But this song rocks! Ian Gillan plays it excellently on vocal part.

"Ted The Mechanic" is probably the song style that you would never find in earlier albums of Deep Purple. This song does not sound like Deep Purple but it's good that they explore the new boundary with music using horn section.Some friends of mine call that this is one of prog music by Deep Purple. "Pictures of Home", for me, is the best song of any Deep Purple songs. It has great composition and structure. When I say structure is how the band fills each segment different with the other in varied ways.I have to give two thumbs up for Steve Morse' own interpretation of Pictures of Home different than what Ritchie played in original album version. Both are enjoyable but Steve's is quite unique in style. The bass and drum parts also give the contribution beautifully. I also regularly re-play this song whenever I spin the CD.

It's also interesting to enjoy "Black Night" which is sung in modern equipment and a bit adjustment of Gillan's singing. "The Perpendicular Waltz" creates another music nuance which is very interesting to observe and enjoy.

On rarities, I have never found any Deep Purple "Live" albums contained also "When A Blind Man Cries". It would have been one of the band members was quite tired of distorted equipment. "Perfect Strangers" is a nice song, performed excellently by the band.

Overall, I find that this official bootleg album interesting and may be not well recognized by many people. But I have never been disappointed with this good performance by the band. On live vibes, it's not as good as "Made In Japan" but it's enjoyable. Keep on rockin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#154573) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 07, 2007

4 stars This gig was recorded as part of their Purpendiculair Tour in 1996....Blackmore already left the band, again and so he was replaced by Steve Morse....as can be heard a we'll talented guitarist....but no matter how you turn it, Morse is no Blackmore and not a guitar icon and one of the last still ... (read more)

Report this review (#202260) | Posted by Daniel1974nl | Tuesday, February 10, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars well..a good live double album..the voice of ian is still good on this album,but not very good as before...the good thing about this one..is the guitar men in front..Steve morse..all the solos that he play are very good,in my opinion is better than blackmore,and he creates good solos along with ... (read more)

Report this review (#127478) | Posted by JgX 5 | Tuesday, July 03, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Very, very overated live album...compared to any other DP live album this lacks so much excitement and fire, only Woman From Tokyo is worthwhile because you hear the whole song live for the first time. ... (read more)

Report this review (#122795) | Posted by analogueaddict | Saturday, May 19, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Another in a long line of live outings from Deep Purple, this time featuring the Mk 5 version of the band (Mk 2 with Steve Morse on guitar instead of Ritchie Blackmore). It was recorded on the Purpendicular tour at the Olympia in Paris. There is a great mixture of the older classic songs wi ... (read more)

Report this review (#114255) | Posted by jimpetrie2000 | Monday, March 05, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars REALLY: 4,87 (ESSENTIAL!!! Masterpiece Of Prog Music!!! ESSENTIAL IN EVERY DISCOGRAPHY!!!) Here a live of today in a position of to fight with the sacred monsters of the 70's! "Live At The olympia 96" has all the cards in rule to be large. In fact: 1) Emotion really a lot; 2) There are all ... (read more)

Report this review (#69473) | Posted by | Wednesday, February 15, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DEEP PURPLE "Live At The Olympia 96"