LOVELY TO SEE YOU LIVE

The Moody Blues Lovely To See You Live album cover

Buy THE MOODY BLUES Music
Live, released in 2005

DISC ONE
1. Lovely To See You (4:13)
2. Tuesday Afternoon (4:23)
3. Lean On Me (Tonight) (4:44)
4. The Actor (5:46)
5. Steppin' In A Slide Zone (4:51)
6. The Voice (4:17)
7. Talking Out Of Turn (5:43)
8. I Know You're Out There Somewhere (5:23)
9. The Story In Your Eyes (3:54)

DISC TWO
1. Forever Autumn (4:37)
2. Your Wildest Dreams (4:55)
3. Isn't Life Strange (7:48)
4. The Other Side Of Life (5:06)
5. December Snow (4:45)
6. Higher And Higher (5:07)
7. Are You Sitting Comfortably? (4:43)
8. I'm Just A Singer (In A Rock & Roll Band) (6:46)
9. Nights In White Satin (6:00)
10. Question (6:09)
11. Ride My See-Saw (5:12)

Search THE MOODY BLUES Lovely To See You Live lyrics

- Norda Mullen / flute, guitar, tambourine, vocals
- Gordon Marshall / drums, percussion, flute, keyboard
- Paul Bliss / keyboards, guitar
- Bernie Barlow / keyboards, vocals, tambourine

Image !D2851RQ, 2CD (USA)

Thanks to Joolz for the addition

THE MOODY BLUES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE MOODY BLUES Lovely To See You Live Music

Polydor / Umgd 2005
Question of BalanceQuestion of Balance
Seventh SojournSeventh Sojourn
Polydor / Umgd 2008
THE MOODY BLUES. STEPPIN IN THE SLIDE ZONE. 1978. EX CONDITION. US $3.23 [0 bids]
30m 48s
Vintage The Moody Blues Seventh Sojourn 8 Track Cassette Tape US $5.00 Buy It Now 42m 18s
CD ALBUM MOODY BLUES SUR LA MER 1980'S CD MADE IN WEST GERMANY US $4.06 [0 bids]
45m 18s
Rock Moody Blues Record Album A Question of Balance THS 3 Insert Gatefold 1970 US $9.99 Buy It Now 45m 31s
MOODY BLUES THREE RECORD DEAL VINYL LP'S US $21.00 Buy It Now 55m 4s
Wilshire Express 45 LOSE YOUR MONEY Moody Blues tune / CARLA inst. ~ VG++ Texas US $9.00 Buy It Now 57m 17s
VINYL 7" SINGLE - THE MOODY BLUES - GO NOW - 5N 9726 US $11.35 Buy It Now 58m 7s
CASSETTE: MOODY BLUES Days of future passed POP AUSTRALIA US $8.92 Buy It Now 1h
CASSETTE: MOODY BLUES greatest hits POP US $7.29 Buy It Now 1h
CASSETTE: MOODY BLUES Keys of the kingdom POP US $5.67 Buy It Now 1h
Moody Blues: Live At The BBC 1967-1970 -- Decca 2-Compact Disc Set- EU Import US $12.99 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES-IN SEARCH OF THE LOST CHORD Deram DES-18017 nrmt- US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
THE MOODY BLUES Caught Live +5 (Cassette) US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 53m
LP THE MOODY BLUES IN SEARCH OF THE LOST CHORD EX/EX US $16.23 Buy It Now 2h 5m
MOODY BLUES~GO NOW~MINT~UNPLAYED STORE STOCK~STARDUST~~ POP 45 US $10.99 Buy It Now 2h 5m
THE MOODY BLUES - THIS IS THE MOODY BLUES - DOUBLE LP US $4.06 [0 bids]
RAY THOMAS~HOPES, WISHES & DREAMS~ORIG 1976 LP~MOODY BLUES~THRESHOLD RECORDS US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Long Distance Voyager The Moody Blues US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 25m
THE MOODY BLUES "EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FAVOR" ALBUM US $4.99 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES "SEVENTH SOJOURN" ALBUM US $2.99 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES THRESHOLD OF A DREAM Rare MFSL Sealed 24 KARAT Gold AUDIOPHILE CD US $127.99 Buy It Now 2h 28m
Moody Blues - Keys Of The Kingdom [CD New] US $6.91 Buy It Now 2h 40m
LP MICHAEL PINDER The Promise (MOODY BLUES) NEAR MINT US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Moody Blues - Seventh Sojurn [Vinyl New] US $31.63 Buy It Now 2h 41m
The Moody Blues Caught Live +5 Vinyl Record LP US $6.64 Buy It Now 3h
Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn LP Record VG+ VG+ US $5.99 Buy It Now 3h 2m
MOODY BLUES: Tuesday Afternoon / Another Morning 45 (dj, few lite sleevemarks o US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 5m
THE MOODY BLUES - ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM -UK LP -DERAM SML.1035 -1969 ORIG. US $16.23 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues - Sur La Mer (CD 1988) US $3.23 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES "NM WAX" Seventh Sojourn 1973 JP Wings OBI LP G3283 US $6.50 [3 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES "NM WAX" In Search Of The Lost Chord Wings JP OBI LP g4698 US $15.50 [8 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES This is The Moody Blues 2THS12/13 2LP D8968 US $0.99 [1 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES "NM WAX" Long Distance Voyager Japan Wings OBI LP A4749 US $2.25 [2 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES "NM WAX" Days Of Future Passed 1973 JP LP e1033 US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES "NM WAX" The Present JP OBI LP A6458 US $6.50 [3 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES Days Of Future Passed 1973 JP Wings OBI LP a0767 US $2.00 [2 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES Days Of Future Passed 1973 JP Wings OBI LP a4466 US $6.50 [4 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES "NM WAX" Seventh Sojourn Japan Press Wings OBI LP P806 US $2.25 [2 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES - TO OUR CHILDRENS CHILDRENS CHILDREN - THRESHOLD LP US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 41m
MOODY BLUES ... DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED US $5.99 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES "NM WAX" Seventh Sojourn JP OBI LP A6454 US $0.99 [1 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES Caught Live +5 2PS 690~1 2LP E1036 US $0.99 [1 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES Every Good Boy Deserves Favour JP Wings OBI LP D8006 US $2.25 [2 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES Octave 1978 Japan Press OBI LP D8967 US $6.50 [4 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES "NM WAX" To Our Children's Children's Children JP OBI LP A9929 US $2.25 [2 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES "NM WAX" Every Good Boy Deserves Favour JP Wings OBI LP A6448 US $4.50 [4 bids]
The Moody Blues Tuesday Afternoon 1968 45rpm VG+ US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 44m
THE MOODY BLUES "NM WAX" Seventh Sojourn Japan Press Wings LP D7422 US $0.99 [1 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES "NM WAX" Seventh Sojourn Japan Press Wings OBI LP L511 US $0.99 [1 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES "NM WAX" Long Distance Voyager JP LP A6457 US $0.99 [1 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES "NM WAX" Every Good Boy Deserves Favour Japan Press LP D7421 US $0.99 [1 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES Octave 1978 Japan Press OBI LP E1349 US $0.99 [1 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES Seventh Sojourn Japan Press Wings OBI LP U530 US $1.25 [2 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES A QUESTION OF BALANCE VINYL LP THRESHOLD THS-3 STERLING US $5.61 Buy It Now 3h 52m
THE MOODY BLUES A QUESTION OF BALANCE VINYL LP THRESHOLD THS3 UK IMPORT! US $8.46 Buy It Now 3h 52m
THE MOODY BLUES CAUGHT LIVE +5 VINYL 2LP RECORD ALBUM LONDON 2PS-690 US $7.23 Buy It Now 3h 52m
The Moody Blues Go Now Picture Disc Original Plastic Sleeve Very Good Condition US $12.99 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES A QUESTION OF BALANCE EXCELLENT! US $13.00 Buy It Now 3h 58m
STEVIE WONDER+BANGLES+ HOOTERS+ARETHA+PATTI+MOODY BLUES+BELINDA+MIAMI+JOHNSON+++ US $2.99 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues - Go Now - First Pressing Vinyl LP US $50.00 [0 bids]
4h
The Other Side of Life by The Moody Blues (Cassette, Jan-1989, Polydor) VG-EX US $16.99 Buy It Now 4h 4m
Prelude by The Moody Blues (CD, 1987, Polydor) US $19.99 [0 bids]
In Search of the Lost Chord/On the Threshold of a Dream by The Moody Blues... US $3.99 Buy It Now 4h 10m
Moody Blues- A Night at Red Rocks, CO Symphony Orchestra (PV VHS) US $8.88 Buy It Now 4h 13m
MOODY BLUES 10x8 inch photo F8_1573 US $6.50 Buy It Now 4h 23m
THE MOODY BLUES-NEVER COMES THE DAY-ORIGINAL DIFFERENT YUGOSLAV PS 45rpm 1969 US $40.00 Buy It Now 4h 27m
The Moody Blues Octave 8 Track Tape TESTED US $6.00 Buy It Now 4h 27m
THE MOODY BLUES NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN / CITIES 1968 45 DREAM 5N 85023 VG/VG+ US $3.99 Buy It Now 4h 35m
Moody Blues A Question of Balance 8-track cassette US $2.50 Buy It Now 4h 38m
Moody Blues Caught Live Plus Five 8-track cassette US $2.50 Buy It Now 4h 40m
MOODY BLUES THE STORY IN YOUR EYES 45 FREE COMBINED U.S. SHIPPING US $0.99 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES-LONG DISTANCE VOYAGER rock LP US $4.98 Buy It Now 4h 41m
Moody Blues Caught Live +5 8-track cassette US $2.50 Buy It Now 4h 42m
Moody Blues Octave 8-track cassette US $2.50 Buy It Now 4h 44m
MOODY BLUES - KEYS OF THE KINGDOM NEW CD US $9.42 Buy It Now 4h 44m
Moody Blues 45 Go Now! 1965 NM Billboard # 10 Canada London 9726 1st Single US $19.50 Buy It Now 4h 44m
Justin Hayward (Moody Blues) Night Flight - NEAR MINT Paper Label Cassette Tape US $16.16 Buy It Now 4h 47m
Moody Blues Seventh Sojourn 8-track cassette US $2.50 Buy It Now 4h 48m
Moody Blues Every Good Boy Deserves Favour 8-track cassette US $2.50 Buy It Now 4h 51m
The Moody Blues - The Present - NEAR MINT - Paper Label Audio Cassette Tape US $9.66 Buy It Now 5h 2m
3 X ELVIS LPs -MOODY BLUES-YOU,LL NEVER WALK ALONE-EASY COME EASY GO- US $1.26 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES In Search Of The Lost Chord RECORD LP Rock VG++ US $12.00 Buy It Now 5h 12m
moody blues lp days of future passed des 18012 US $19.99 Buy It Now 5h 21m
The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed (CD 2008) Remastered w/10 bonus tracks US $9.73 Buy It Now 5h 23m
New Long Distance Voyager CD Import Moody Blues From Japan US $39.99 Buy It Now 5h 28m
THE MOODY BLUES ( BRAND NEW CD ) THE VERY BEST OF / GREATEST HITS COLLECTION US $8.04 Buy It Now 5h 30m
MOODY BLUES - OTHER SIDE OF LIFE NEW CD US $19.09 Buy It Now 5h 34m
33 RPM RECORD/6) THE MOODY BLUES / THE OTHER SIDE OF LIFE US $3.99 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues-Long Distance Voyager-LP-Gatefold-Threshold-Vinyl Record-NM US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 42m
The Moody Blues-Octave-LP-Gatefold-London-Vinyl Record-VG+ US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 43m
The Moody Blues-Octave-LP-London-PS 708-Gatefold-OG Sleeve-Vinyl Record-VG+ US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 43m
MOODY BLUES QUESTION OF BALANCE RARE EXYUGO LP N/MINT US $28.69 Buy It Now 5h 50m
MOODY BLUES LONG DISTANCE VOYAGER EXYUGO LP N/MINT US $28.69 Buy It Now 5h 50m
MOODY BLUES OCTAVE 1978 EXYUGOSLAV PRESSING LP N/MINT US $28.69 Buy It Now 5h 50m
MOODY BLUES SUR LA MER W/INNER RARE EXYUGO LP N/MINT US $28.69 Buy It Now 5h 50m
MOODY BLUES THIS IS THE EXYUGOSLAV PRESSING 2LP N/MINT US $28.69 Buy It Now 5h 50m
Moody Blues - Time Is On My Side [CD New] US $5.98 Buy It Now 5h 54m
The Moody Blues In Search Of The Lost Chord LP First FL 1724 Taiwan Rare US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 54m
The Moody Blues "Seventh Sojourn" 1972 Rock LP, VG+, Threshold US $2.95 Buy It Now 6h 3m
MOODY BLUES GO NOW / LOSE YOUR MONEY 45 LON 9726 VG (45s-4046) US $6.49 Buy It Now 6h 9m

More places to buy THE MOODY BLUES music online Buy THE MOODY BLUES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE MOODY BLUES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE MOODY BLUES Lovely To See You Live ratings distribution

THE MOODY BLUES Lovely To See You Live reviews

Review by Joolz
3 stars Another day, another Moody Blues live album. Ah, but this one has a twist - this time there is no orchestra! Instead, we get the core of founder-members Justin Hayward, John Lodge and Graeme Edge, together with additional drummer, 2 keyboard players and a flautist. And the music benefits.

It will soon be 40 years since Hayward and Lodge joined the Moodies, but on this evidence they sound younger and more invigorated than for many years. The lack of an orchestra seems to give the music room to breathe, and the musicians to stretch out more - the band are tight and full of energy, rocking out with vigour on the up tempo numbers yet equally at home on the gentler material where subtlety is required. Hayward's voice is just as silky smooth and expressive as it always has been, as indeed is his guitar work. Lodge's voice has sadly suffered a little from age as he can no longer reach those highs. Much of the time the female backing singers take care of that side of things, but even when singing normally he sounds to be straining a little. The other notable performance is by Norda Mullen the flautist who does a good job in filling the gap left by departed Ray Thomas.

It is hard to pick highlights, as nearly all the songs are performed well, but my personal favourites are Hayward's The Other Side Of Life, Lodge's Talking Out Of Turn, and most of all, hearing Graeme Edge recite Higher And Higher to a brilliant instrumental workout. Aside from the obvious standards, which all benefit from this new setting, it is nice to hear one or two oldies afresh: The Actor and Are You Sitting Comfortably stand up well after all these years, and Hayward's rendition of his solo hit Forever Autumn is a welcome addition. The only song which, for me, doesn't quite hit the spot is Ride My See-Saw which on this occasion seems like an anti-climax after a magnificent Question.

This album was recorded live at The Greek Theatre, Los Angeles in June 2005 with an appreciative and typically enthusiastic audience. They all sound as if they were enjoying the proceedings - band and audience alike - but, fortunately, the audience noise is balanced well enough not to interfere with the music. Any dialogue between band and audience is largely restricted to the "and the next track is ..." variety. The sound is excellent, being mostly crisp and clear, though there may be issues with the mix in some places: the backing vocals are sometimes too recessed; a couple of songs are devalued a little by over-prominent drums; and the bass is often indistinct. But these are only minor quibbles and do not detract from the listening experience.

I really love this album, and it has quickly become a favourite. It reminds me of their 'Caught Live + 5' (recorded in the 60s) - sure this is a lot more polished and professional in every way, but there is the same feeling of raw energy and excitement which I did not expect from guys that I had written off years ago (shame on me). In an ideal world I would rate it with a maximum score, but this is ProgArchives, and this album's relevance to Prog is questionable. I have therefore chosen to rate it 3: in it's relationship with Prog it is good, but not essential. However, I would wholeheartedly recommend it to all fans of the Moodies!

Send comments to Joolz (BETA) | Report this review (#75486) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars Over time, as the band moved from mega-popular art-poppers to (largely) over-the-hill old farts, certain things just became frozen solid in the band's live show. "Tuesday Afternoon" would be either the first or second song. Immediately following it would be Ray singing "For my Lady" or (for a brief period) "Eternity Road." The first half of the show would end with "I Know You're Out There Somewhere," immediately followed by "Story in Your Eyes." The second half would open with "Your Wildest Dreams," "Isn't Life Strange?" and "The Other Side of Life," and close with "I'm Just a Singer etc," "Nights," "Legend of a Mind," "Question" and "Ride My See-Saw" as the encore. This is the third live album to come out of this general mold in the 90's and 00's, and it's tough to see at first what the heck the point of it would be.

Well, the point of it is that (a) it's probably the best of the three, and (b) it offers a lot of things that the last two live albums don't (not the least of which is that this has no orchestra). I'm as sad as anybody that Ray had to retire from the band, but with respect to the band's tours and this album (and actually, I caught this tour the same month as when this was recorded), his retirement was a boon, because it spurred the band into bringing out a lot of otherwise neglected material. Besides, the replacement flautist, one Norda Mullen, fills his shoes just fine, and she really sounds just thrilled to be on stage the whole time.

Rather than talking about the tracks that appear on every Moodies live album possible (which are done just fine, mind you, but not with anything revelatory about them), I'll instead talk about the ones that are surprises (all pleasant ones) to see. They open with, naturally, "Lovely to See You," and while it's never been one of my very favorite MB tracks, it shows right away that Justin's still in good vocal form, and it's definitely nice that there's much less of a keyboard presence in this version than in the one on Red Rocks. A few tracks later is big surprise #1: "The Actor." It's a very stirring rendition of a song that I enjoy more and more as I get older (not that I didn't like it when I was younger or anything, though), and Norda's first real melodic showcase.

Next up is a track that I had wanted an official live version of for years, "Steppin' in a Slide Zone." Man, the lyrics to this song may get dumber every time I hear them, and there's just something oh so wrong about the psuedo-tough feel to it, but I've loved this song at all three Moodies concerts I've heard in my life, and I love it here. So much for my rock'n'roll credibility. Anyway, after a decent (but inexplicably short; they cut out the "And how many words have I got to say ..." verse) runthrough of "The Voice," there's an extremely lovely performance of "Talking Out of Turn," trimmed from the overlong original length of 7+ minutes down to a more managable 5:43. It sounds a bazillion times more inspired than the perfunctory runthrough of "I Know You're Out There Somewhere" that immediately follows, I'll tell you what (Sheesh, it's a decent enough song, but it should not be a live standard!).

To kick off the second half, before Lodge and Edge come out, Hayward brings out the second big surprise; a rendition of "Forever Autumn" (!!!!!) with just Paul Bliss and Gordon Marshall (the second drummer) backing him up. The song (if you've forgotten, it was originally done for the War of the Worlds soundtrack Jeff Wayne put together in the late 70's) has been unavailable outside the band's myriad compilations (including Time Traveller) and Justin's Classic Blue album, so it might be worth getting this album just to have a version of this super-duper gorgeous number lying around. And speaking of gorgeous, a few tracks later we have "December Snow," which actually turns out to be close to a late-period MB classic (the mix of Norda's rolling flute lines and the way Justin sings, "Time take this sadness from me, time bring my heart back safely" is a good way to pull a couple of my heart strings).

Now, this may seem like a pretty decent number of surprises already for a MB live album, and it would be, but two bigger ones remain. The first is, I kid you not, a spirited rendition of "Higher and Higher," with the band bringing back that amazing TOCCC vibe with aplomb while Graeme recites the poem and tears down the house by dancing and bouncing around the stage. It's the closest (aside from, maybe, the end of "Singer") you'll get to hearing the band really doing any kind of "jamming," and it provides a reminder that Justin is a pretty decent guitarist after all. And then, to calm things down, the band goes into the softer side of its 1969 repertiore with "Are You Sitting Comfortably?," in which Norda steals the show. Her flute lines are sooooooo mystical and enchanting (Gordon also plays second flute in the background) that she arguably outdoes Ray at his own game (in this case, anyway); all we need is a mellotron and, well, it would be the late 60's all over again.

So that, aside from all of the stuff that any remaining MB fan knows of their shows, is your really nice live album. It can't get higher than a **** because it's kinda not very necessary in the grand scheme of things, but I can't pretend that I didn't enjoy this album to death while intensely listening to it for reviewing purposes, so giving it lower than a **** would seem fraudulent too. But guys, you might want to back off of the "1 studio, 1 live" pattern for a bit; unless you plan on bringing out some Present tracks, anyway (or if they never make another studio album, which as of 2010 looks pretty likely)...

PS: The best "you dork" moment of the album: while introducing "Higher and Higher," Graeme tries to work the crowd into a frenzy by emphasizing that this is a song they wrote about three decades ago, a tactic that strikes me as dumb for two reasons. First, a lot of the songs in the program were written more than three decades before the recording of this album, and second, three decades previous to this, the band was on hiatus and doing solo albums. Do your math, hippie!

PPS: I do admit, though, that the line about how the song was written, "Back when my hair was brown, and my teeth were white," is a funny one.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#289172) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 04, 2010

4 stars This album is a treat for old Moodies fans like myself. It contains nothing new but has a fresh sound, probably resulting from the latest group of excellent supporting musicians, and the simpler arrangements without orchestra. But the new lease on life may also come from the fact Justin and Joh ... (read more)

Report this review (#118394) | Posted by DocB | Saturday, April 14, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE MOODY BLUES "Lovely To See You Live"