LOVELY TO SEE YOU LIVE

The Moody Blues Lovely To See You Live album cover

Buy THE MOODY BLUES Music
Live, released in 2005

DISC ONE
1. Lovely To See You (4:13)
2. Tuesday Afternoon (4:23)
3. Lean On Me (Tonight) (4:44)
4. The Actor (5:46)
5. Steppin' In A Slide Zone (4:51)
6. The Voice (4:17)
7. Talking Out Of Turn (5:43)
8. I Know You're Out There Somewhere (5:23)
9. The Story In Your Eyes (3:54)

DISC TWO
1. Forever Autumn (4:37)
2. Your Wildest Dreams (4:55)
3. Isn't Life Strange (7:48)
4. The Other Side Of Life (5:06)
5. December Snow (4:45)
6. Higher And Higher (5:07)
7. Are You Sitting Comfortably? (4:43)
8. I'm Just A Singer (In A Rock & Roll Band) (6:46)
9. Nights In White Satin (6:00)
10. Question (6:09)
11. Ride My See-Saw (5:12)

Search THE MOODY BLUES Lovely To See You Live lyrics

- Norda Mullen / flute, guitar, tambourine, vocals
- Gordon Marshall / drums, percussion, flute, keyboard
- Paul Bliss / keyboards, guitar
- Bernie Barlow / keyboards, vocals, tambourine

Image !D2851RQ, 2CD (USA)

Thanks to Joolz for the addition

THE MOODY BLUES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE MOODY BLUES Lovely To See You Live Music

Moody Blues - GoldMoody Blues - Gold
Polydor / Umgd 2005
THE MOODY BLUES Days of Future Passed LAX-1021 LP v2484 US $5.99 [0 bids]
30m 9s
THE MOODY BLUES "NM WAX" Every Good Boy Deserves Favour K18P-36 LP Y2368 US $5.99 [1 bids]
35m 46s
THE MOODY BLUES Days of Future Passed LAX-1021 LP u3756 US $5.99 [1 bids]
38m 29s
Moody Blues Long Distance lp vinyl record TRL-1-2901 US $4.00 Buy It Now 40m 45s
Moody Blues~"Seventh Sojourn"~lp vinyl record Threshold Records THS 7 US $6.39 Buy It Now 40m 54s
THE MOODY BLUES "NM WAX" Octave GP-1097 LP Z1078 US $5.99 [0 bids]
47m 5s
THE MOODY BLUES Every Good Boy Deserves Favour THS5 LP W1356 US $5.99 [0 bids]
51m 9s
The Moody Blues - Long Distance Voyager - LP US $0.99 [0 bids]
55m 40s
The Moody Blues - Caught Live +5 - LP US $0.99 [0 bids]
55m 40s
Denny Laine(Wings Moody Blues)-Holly Days-Lp Vinyl Record-Capitol-ST-11588 US $6.23 [0 bids]
56m 32s
THE MOODY BLUES Long Distance Voyager K28P-161 LP W5402 US $5.99 [0 bids]
57m 22s
Say It with Love by The Moody Blues (CD, Jan-2003, Polydor) US $1.25 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES "NM WAX" Every Good Boy Deserves Favour SLC-806 LP Y5246 US $5.99 [0 bids]
Live at the Royal Albert Hall The World Festival Orchestra by The Moody Blues CD US $6.00 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES - QUESTION OF BALANCE Vinyl LP- VG US $2.99 [0 bids]
Vinyl Record Lot Of 5 LPs The Moody Blues Days Of Future Passed US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Vinyl Record Lot Of 5 LPs The Moody Blues This Is The Moody Blues V Good Plus C US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Elvis Presley She Still Thinks I Care / Moody Blues 45 NM RCA PB-10857 1976 US $14.95 Buy It Now 1h 21m
The Moody Blues -Long Distance Voyage- LP. HOLLAND US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
The Moody Blues -Caught Live +5- LP US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
The Moody Blues -Seventh Sojourn- LP US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
the moody blues original record in search of the lost chord des 18017 1968 US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 23m
THE MOODY BLUES The Other Side Of Life LP Polydor 829-179-1 Y-1 (1986) EX-NM US $6.99 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES lot of 4 record albums gatefolds US $6.00 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES- LOT OF 3 LP'S ,OCTAVE,LONG DISTANCE VOYAGER,SEVENTH SOJOURN US $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 26m
The Moody Blues: "Nights In White Satin" & "Cities" - '67 Rock hit - nice! US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 28m
The Moody Blues / Days of Future Passed 1967 (Remastered) US $7.00 [0 bids]
Nights in White Satin - The Moody Blues (Jan 11, 2000) - Import US $500.00 Buy It Now 1h 33m
THIS IS THE MOODY BLUES "NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN" NM- (2 THS 12/13) VINYL RECORD US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 39m
MOODY BLUES - A Question of Balance LP (RARE UK Import w/"Envelope" Cover) US $44.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
MOODY BLUES - Days of Future Passed LP (1st US Issue on DERAM, In Shrink) MINT-- US $59.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Moody Blues COLLECTED 54 Song BEST OF Nights In White Satin NEW 3 CD US $20.50 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED VINYL LP DERAM NIGHTS TUESDAY AFTERNOON US $10.99 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES -In Search of the Lost Chord LP (US Pressing on DERAM, STILL SEALED) US $69.99 Buy It Now 1h 55m
The Moody Blues THE SINGLES PLUS BEST OF New Sealed VINYL 2 LP US $28.50 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES Magnificent Moodies Oop London Decca 1st Press CD 60s British Rock US $26.14 Buy It Now 2h
MOODY BLUES - The Moody Blues #1LP (RARE US Pressing on LONDON, STILL SEALED) US $74.99 Buy It Now 2h
Patrick Moraz-Timecode-PRISTINE LP NEAR MINT!w/sleeve!(YES, MOODY BLUES,REFUGEE) US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 6m
The Moody Blues "Go Now" London #30 hit 1965 US $5.49 [0 bids]
Moody Blues "Seventh Sojourn" Threshold 72' For My Lady US $5.99 [0 bids]
Moody Blues "Days of Future Passed" Deram 72' US $5.79 [0 bids]
Moody Blues "On the Threshold of a Dream" Deram 1969 'Lovely to See You' US $5.59 [0 bids]
Moody Blues "To Our Childrens Childrens Children" 1969 'Watching and waiting' US $5.49 [0 bids]
the moody blues on the threshold of a dream LP 1969 gatefold DERAM DES 18025 EX US $2.99 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES - EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FAVOUR LP VINYL RECORD ALBUM US $2.99 [0 bids]
Moody Blues"In Search of Lost Chord" DSS Dynamic Sound Sys. German Teldec Impo US $14.99 [0 bids]
Patrick Moraz S/T self-titled vinyl LP 1976 Moody Blues US $4.95 Buy It Now 2h 27m
"THE MOODY BLUES" "EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FAVOUR" US $9.00 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Classic 70s 80s Freedom Rock Music Collection Cassette Tapes Taylor Moody Blues US $14.99 [0 bids]
Moody Blues 11 Record Lot US $19.99 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues A Night at Red Rocks VHS US $3.00 [0 bids]
GRAEME EDGE BAND "Kick Off Your Muddy.." LP 1975 US ORIG (Threshold) MOODY BLUES US $22.88 Buy It Now 3h 35m
Justin Hayward & John Lodge BLUE JAYS (CD) 1987 MOODY BLUES US $4.90 Buy It Now 3h 42m
Keys of the Kingdom by Moody Blues (The) (CD, Apr-2006, Universal Special Pro... US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 43m
Moody Blues - On The Threshold LP UK Import s US $21.99 Buy It Now 3h 48m
Moody Blues - To Our Childrens Childrens LP UK Import s US $21.99 Buy It Now 3h 48m
Moody Blues - In The Beginning LP Promo VG+/VG+ s US $21.99 Buy It Now 3h 48m
(3) ROCK BUNDLE PACK (8-Track) Kiss, Moody Blues, Bob Seger BUY This 1 US $16.99 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed 1968 LP US $3.00 Buy It Now 4h 19m
the moody blues octave album lp record US $0.99 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues - In Search of the Lost Chord (DES 18017) US $9.95 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues - The Other Side of Life (CD, Jan-1989, Polydor) W.GERMANY US $9.99 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues - The Other Side Of Life 7", Blue US $7.99 [0 bids]
Moody Blues Days of Future Passed 12" Record **UNTESTED** US $4.95 Buy It Now 5h
80's Rock 45 7" Lot Of 20 Records W/ Pic Sleeve Moody Blues Steve Miller Fixx US $19.99 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES: Talking Out Of Turn (rock & pop vinyl 45) US $15.00 Buy It Now 5h 16m
NOS THE MOODY BLUES ......... PAINTED SMILE US $8.00 Buy It Now 5h 35m
Moody Blues From The Bottom Of My Heart Vinyl 45 US $16.99 Buy It Now 5h 35m
THE MOODY BLUES - A Question of Balance CASSETTE - no zombies strawbs yes US $2.00 [0 bids]
Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed Album US $5.00 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues, Nights In White Satin & Cities, Single 45 US $0.99 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES LP ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM FRANCE US $12.00 Buy It Now 7h 7m
MOODY BLUES LP EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FAVOUR FRANCE US $12.00 Buy It Now 7h 7m
MOODY BLUES LP DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED FRANCE US $12.00 Buy It Now 7h 7m
JOHN LODGE (of MOODY BLUES)- "SUMMER BREEZE"-1977 LONDON-W/SLEEVE-PROMO US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES In Search of The Lost Chord 33RPM RECORD LP Vinyl DES 18017 US $4.90 Buy It Now 7h 45m
THE MOODY BLUES:LONG DISTANCE VOYAGER,OZ PRESSING LP:TXS-139 DECCA RECORDS US $5.15 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES Seventh Sojourn LP EX! Threshold 1972 US $12.99 Buy It Now 8h 5m
Moody Blues Go Now! 7" vinyl single record USA 5N9726 LONDON US $16.72 Buy It Now 8h 25m
This Is THE MOODY BLUES 1974 Threshold USA 2 LP Set w/ Gatefold Cover US $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 34m
THE MOODY BLUES IN SEARCH OF THE LOST CHORD GATE FOLD COVER LP 600 US $8.99 Buy It Now 8h 45m
2014 MOODY BLUES Long Distance Voyager HR CUTTING JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD US $32.00 Buy It Now 9h 15m
"On The Threshold of A Dream"; Moody Blues; Booklet US $11.19 Buy It Now 9h 28m
THE MOODY BLUES-THE BEST OF-17 TRACK CD-1996-AUSTRALIA-JUSTIN HAYWARD-JOHN LODGE US $10.29 Buy It Now 10h 20m
THE MOODY BLUES IN SEARCH OF THE LOST CHORD LP French STEREO 1968 NMint US $24.99 Buy It Now 10h 21m
Rock THE MOODY BLUES The Beginning Vol 1 NM! ND-769 ORIG UK EB654 US $17.99 Buy It Now 10h 39m
Moody Blues-Keys Of The Kingdom KOREA ORIGINAL PROMOTION LP UNPLAYED COPY US $29.99 Buy It Now 11h 4m
7" MOODY BLUES GO NOW / IT'S EASY CHILD" 60'S POP US $5.50 Buy It Now 11h 34m
Moody Blues LP Long Distance Voyager US $8.41 Buy It Now 11h 43m
Moody Blues double LP This Is The Moody Blues US $10.09 Buy It Now 11h 43m
MOODY BLUES 7"Single - I'm Just A Singer (In a Rock And Roll Band)/For My Lady US $11.76 Buy It Now 11h 59m
THE MOODY BLUES 'THIS IS THE MOODY BLUES' UK DOUBLE LP US $13.61 Buy It Now 12h 2m
MOODY BLUES..THIS IS THE MOODY BLUES 2 LP SET US $3.00 [0 bids]
2014 REMASTER MOODY BLUES VOYAGER JAPAN SHM MINI LP CD HR CUTTIN TURQUOISE BLUE US $32.00 Buy It Now 12h 17m
NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN THE MOODY BLUES 45 RPM RECORD US $14.99 Buy It Now 12h 38m
THE MOODY BLUES..A QUESTION OF BALANCE LP US $2.00 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES..LONG DISTANCE VOYAGER LP US $2.00 [0 bids]
Moody Blues Best of Voices in the Sky, STERLING 1A 1st Press, Ultrasonic Cleaned US $22.50 Buy It Now 12h 53m
MOODY BLUES - I KNOW YOU'RE OUT THERE SOMEWEWHERE - GERMANY 45 FREE SHIPPING US $15.00 Buy It Now 12h 53m
The Moody Blues(Vinyl LP Gatefold)Long Distance Voyager-Threshold-TXS 139-UK-Ex/ US $16.81 Buy It Now 13h 9m

More places to buy THE MOODY BLUES music online Buy THE MOODY BLUES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE MOODY BLUES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE MOODY BLUES Lovely To See You Live ratings distribution

THE MOODY BLUES Lovely To See You Live reviews

Review by Joolz
3 stars Another day, another Moody Blues live album. Ah, but this one has a twist - this time there is no orchestra! Instead, we get the core of founder-members Justin Hayward, John Lodge and Graeme Edge, together with additional drummer, 2 keyboard players and a flautist. And the music benefits.

It will soon be 40 years since Hayward and Lodge joined the Moodies, but on this evidence they sound younger and more invigorated than for many years. The lack of an orchestra seems to give the music room to breathe, and the musicians to stretch out more - the band are tight and full of energy, rocking out with vigour on the up tempo numbers yet equally at home on the gentler material where subtlety is required. Hayward's voice is just as silky smooth and expressive as it always has been, as indeed is his guitar work. Lodge's voice has sadly suffered a little from age as he can no longer reach those highs. Much of the time the female backing singers take care of that side of things, but even when singing normally he sounds to be straining a little. The other notable performance is by Norda Mullen the flautist who does a good job in filling the gap left by departed Ray Thomas.

It is hard to pick highlights, as nearly all the songs are performed well, but my personal favourites are Hayward's The Other Side Of Life, Lodge's Talking Out Of Turn, and most of all, hearing Graeme Edge recite Higher And Higher to a brilliant instrumental workout. Aside from the obvious standards, which all benefit from this new setting, it is nice to hear one or two oldies afresh: The Actor and Are You Sitting Comfortably stand up well after all these years, and Hayward's rendition of his solo hit Forever Autumn is a welcome addition. The only song which, for me, doesn't quite hit the spot is Ride My See-Saw which on this occasion seems like an anti-climax after a magnificent Question.

This album was recorded live at The Greek Theatre, Los Angeles in June 2005 with an appreciative and typically enthusiastic audience. They all sound as if they were enjoying the proceedings - band and audience alike - but, fortunately, the audience noise is balanced well enough not to interfere with the music. Any dialogue between band and audience is largely restricted to the "and the next track is ..." variety. The sound is excellent, being mostly crisp and clear, though there may be issues with the mix in some places: the backing vocals are sometimes too recessed; a couple of songs are devalued a little by over-prominent drums; and the bass is often indistinct. But these are only minor quibbles and do not detract from the listening experience.

I really love this album, and it has quickly become a favourite. It reminds me of their 'Caught Live + 5' (recorded in the 60s) - sure this is a lot more polished and professional in every way, but there is the same feeling of raw energy and excitement which I did not expect from guys that I had written off years ago (shame on me). In an ideal world I would rate it with a maximum score, but this is ProgArchives, and this album's relevance to Prog is questionable. I have therefore chosen to rate it 3: in it's relationship with Prog it is good, but not essential. However, I would wholeheartedly recommend it to all fans of the Moodies!

Send comments to Joolz (BETA) | Report this review (#75486) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars Over time, as the band moved from mega-popular art-poppers to (largely) over-the-hill old farts, certain things just became frozen solid in the band's live show. "Tuesday Afternoon" would be either the first or second song. Immediately following it would be Ray singing "For my Lady" or (for a brief period) "Eternity Road." The first half of the show would end with "I Know You're Out There Somewhere," immediately followed by "Story in Your Eyes." The second half would open with "Your Wildest Dreams," "Isn't Life Strange?" and "The Other Side of Life," and close with "I'm Just a Singer etc," "Nights," "Legend of a Mind," "Question" and "Ride My See-Saw" as the encore. This is the third live album to come out of this general mold in the 90's and 00's, and it's tough to see at first what the heck the point of it would be.

Well, the point of it is that (a) it's probably the best of the three, and (b) it offers a lot of things that the last two live albums don't (not the least of which is that this has no orchestra). I'm as sad as anybody that Ray had to retire from the band, but with respect to the band's tours and this album (and actually, I caught this tour the same month as when this was recorded), his retirement was a boon, because it spurred the band into bringing out a lot of otherwise neglected material. Besides, the replacement flautist, one Norda Mullen, fills his shoes just fine, and she really sounds just thrilled to be on stage the whole time.

Rather than talking about the tracks that appear on every Moodies live album possible (which are done just fine, mind you, but not with anything revelatory about them), I'll instead talk about the ones that are surprises (all pleasant ones) to see. They open with, naturally, "Lovely to See You," and while it's never been one of my very favorite MB tracks, it shows right away that Justin's still in good vocal form, and it's definitely nice that there's much less of a keyboard presence in this version than in the one on Red Rocks. A few tracks later is big surprise #1: "The Actor." It's a very stirring rendition of a song that I enjoy more and more as I get older (not that I didn't like it when I was younger or anything, though), and Norda's first real melodic showcase.

Next up is a track that I had wanted an official live version of for years, "Steppin' in a Slide Zone." Man, the lyrics to this song may get dumber every time I hear them, and there's just something oh so wrong about the psuedo-tough feel to it, but I've loved this song at all three Moodies concerts I've heard in my life, and I love it here. So much for my rock'n'roll credibility. Anyway, after a decent (but inexplicably short; they cut out the "And how many words have I got to say ..." verse) runthrough of "The Voice," there's an extremely lovely performance of "Talking Out of Turn," trimmed from the overlong original length of 7+ minutes down to a more managable 5:43. It sounds a bazillion times more inspired than the perfunctory runthrough of "I Know You're Out There Somewhere" that immediately follows, I'll tell you what (Sheesh, it's a decent enough song, but it should not be a live standard!).

To kick off the second half, before Lodge and Edge come out, Hayward brings out the second big surprise; a rendition of "Forever Autumn" (!!!!!) with just Paul Bliss and Gordon Marshall (the second drummer) backing him up. The song (if you've forgotten, it was originally done for the War of the Worlds soundtrack Jeff Wayne put together in the late 70's) has been unavailable outside the band's myriad compilations (including Time Traveller) and Justin's Classic Blue album, so it might be worth getting this album just to have a version of this super-duper gorgeous number lying around. And speaking of gorgeous, a few tracks later we have "December Snow," which actually turns out to be close to a late-period MB classic (the mix of Norda's rolling flute lines and the way Justin sings, "Time take this sadness from me, time bring my heart back safely" is a good way to pull a couple of my heart strings).

Now, this may seem like a pretty decent number of surprises already for a MB live album, and it would be, but two bigger ones remain. The first is, I kid you not, a spirited rendition of "Higher and Higher," with the band bringing back that amazing TOCCC vibe with aplomb while Graeme recites the poem and tears down the house by dancing and bouncing around the stage. It's the closest (aside from, maybe, the end of "Singer") you'll get to hearing the band really doing any kind of "jamming," and it provides a reminder that Justin is a pretty decent guitarist after all. And then, to calm things down, the band goes into the softer side of its 1969 repertiore with "Are You Sitting Comfortably?," in which Norda steals the show. Her flute lines are sooooooo mystical and enchanting (Gordon also plays second flute in the background) that she arguably outdoes Ray at his own game (in this case, anyway); all we need is a mellotron and, well, it would be the late 60's all over again.

So that, aside from all of the stuff that any remaining MB fan knows of their shows, is your really nice live album. It can't get higher than a **** because it's kinda not very necessary in the grand scheme of things, but I can't pretend that I didn't enjoy this album to death while intensely listening to it for reviewing purposes, so giving it lower than a **** would seem fraudulent too. But guys, you might want to back off of the "1 studio, 1 live" pattern for a bit; unless you plan on bringing out some Present tracks, anyway (or if they never make another studio album, which as of 2010 looks pretty likely)...

PS: The best "you dork" moment of the album: while introducing "Higher and Higher," Graeme tries to work the crowd into a frenzy by emphasizing that this is a song they wrote about three decades ago, a tactic that strikes me as dumb for two reasons. First, a lot of the songs in the program were written more than three decades before the recording of this album, and second, three decades previous to this, the band was on hiatus and doing solo albums. Do your math, hippie!

PPS: I do admit, though, that the line about how the song was written, "Back when my hair was brown, and my teeth were white," is a funny one.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#289172) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 04, 2010

4 stars This album is a treat for old Moodies fans like myself. It contains nothing new but has a fresh sound, probably resulting from the latest group of excellent supporting musicians, and the simpler arrangements without orchestra. But the new lease on life may also come from the fact Justin and Joh ... (read more)

Report this review (#118394) | Posted by DocB | Saturday, April 14, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE MOODY BLUES "Lovely To See You Live"