LOVELY TO SEE YOU LIVE

The Moody Blues Lovely To See You Live album cover

Buy THE MOODY BLUES Music
Live, released in 2005

DISC ONE
1. Lovely To See You (4:13)
2. Tuesday Afternoon (4:23)
3. Lean On Me (Tonight) (4:44)
4. The Actor (5:46)
5. Steppin' In A Slide Zone (4:51)
6. The Voice (4:17)
7. Talking Out Of Turn (5:43)
8. I Know You're Out There Somewhere (5:23)
9. The Story In Your Eyes (3:54)

DISC TWO
1. Forever Autumn (4:37)
2. Your Wildest Dreams (4:55)
3. Isn't Life Strange (7:48)
4. The Other Side Of Life (5:06)
5. December Snow (4:45)
6. Higher And Higher (5:07)
7. Are You Sitting Comfortably? (4:43)
8. I'm Just A Singer (In A Rock & Roll Band) (6:46)
9. Nights In White Satin (6:00)
10. Question (6:09)
11. Ride My See-Saw (5:12)

Search THE MOODY BLUES Lovely To See You Live lyrics

- Norda Mullen / flute, guitar, tambourine, vocals
- Gordon Marshall / drums, percussion, flute, keyboard
- Paul Bliss / keyboards, guitar
- Bernie Barlow / keyboards, vocals, tambourine

Image !D2851RQ, 2CD (USA)

Thanks to Joolz for the addition

THE MOODY BLUES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE MOODY BLUES Lovely To See You Live Music

Moody Blues - GoldMoody Blues - Gold
Polydor / Umgd 2005
Long Distance VoyagerLong Distance Voyager
Polydor / Umgd 1990
Moody Blues Long Distance Voyager Netherlands 1981 1st Press, ULTRASONIC CLEAN US $35.00 Buy It Now 30m 39s
THE MOODY BLUES On The Threshold Of A Dream. 1st U.K. pressing 1969 LP US $9.74 Buy It Now 36m 33s
80's Rock 45 7" Lot Of 20 Records W/ Pic Sleeve Moody Blues Steve Miller Fixx US $17.00 Buy It Now 37m 50s
60s MOODY BLUES boulevard de la madelaine UK 7" Vinyl 45 US $8.46 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues - Best of the Moody Blues (CD) US $5.07 Buy It Now 1h 7m
The Moody Blues - To Our Children`s Children`s Children (SACD/Deluxe Edition) - US $23.28 Buy It Now 1h 23m
MOODY BLUES question PORTUGAL 45 7'' single PSYCH MOD BEAT US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
The Moody Blues The Present Vinyl LP US $5.00 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues Long Distance Voyager Vinyl LP US $5.00 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues Days Of Future Passed Vinyl LP Deram Records DES-18012 US $7.00 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES - BLUE WORLD 7" VINYL PS US $7.61 Buy It Now 1h 44m
THE MOODY BLUES - BOULEVARD DE LA MADELAINE 7" VINYL US $16.93 Buy It Now 1h 45m
THE MOODY BLUES - DRIFTWOOD 7" VINYL US $6.76 Buy It Now 1h 45m
THE MOODY BLUES - FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART 7" VINYL US $12.69 Buy It Now 1h 45m
THE MOODY BLUES - GEMINI DREAM 7" VINYL PS US $6.76 Buy It Now 1h 45m
THE MOODY BLUES - GO NOW / I DON'T WANT TO GO ON WITHOUT YOU 7" OLD GOLD VINYL US $10.15 Buy It Now 1h 45m
THE MOODY BLUES - I'M JUST A SINGER IN A ROCK AND ROLL BAND 7" VINYL US $7.61 Buy It Now 1h 45m
THE MOODY BLUES - ISN'T LIFE STRANGE 7" VINYL US $7.61 Buy It Now 1h 46m
THE MOODY BLUES - NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN 7" VINYL PS US $6.76 Buy It Now 1h 46m
THE MOODY BLUES - STEPPIN' IN A SLIDE ZONE 7" VINYL US $6.76 Buy It Now 1h 46m
THE MOODY BLUES - TUESDAY AFTERNOON 7" VINYL US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h 46m
THE MOODY BLUES - YOUR WILDEST DREAMS 7" VINYL US $8.46 Buy It Now 1h 46m
The Moody Blues Days of Future Passed SEALED MFSL 1/2 SPEED LP US $134.99 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES HALL OF FAME LIVE FROM THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL JAPAN CD OBI Y772 US $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 13m
MOODY BLUES - I'm Just A Singer (In A Rock & Roll Band) - Ex 7" Single Threshold US $6.76 Buy It Now 2h 22m
Live at the Royal Albert Hall by The Moody Blues CD (2010, Sony) US $3.00 [0 bids]
GO NOW by THE MOODY BLUES 8 Track Tape US $4.99 [0 bids]
GO NOW by THE MOODY BLUES Audio Music Cassette US $4.99 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES Best Of CD Greatest Hits Nights in White Satin, Your Wildest Dreams US $2.49 [0 bids]
Moody Blues -In Search of the Lost Chord CD- DELRAM 983-214-7 New in Shrink Wrap US $80.00 Buy It Now 2h 53m
THE MOODY BLUES - IN SEARCH OF THE LOST CHORD (DES18017) Great album in Stereo! US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 4m
THE MOODY BLUES-ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM-DERAM STEREO-SML 1035-VG+ US $10.15 Buy It Now 3h 8m
The Moody Blues (3 albums) US $11.99 [0 bids]
GRAEME EDGE BAND USA 7" 45 BAREBACK RIDER~THE TUNNELL from THE MOODY BLUES US $13.50 Buy It Now 3h 27m
THE MOODY BLUES-TO OUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN'S CHILDREN-THRESHOLD-STEREO-VG+ US $11.84 Buy It Now 3h 29m
MOODY BLUES - SEVENTH SOJOURN - GF- URUGUAY (5pics) US $45.00 Buy It Now 3h 35m
THE MOODY BLUES-EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FAVOUR-THRESHOLD-STEREO-VG+ US $13.54 Buy It Now 3h 38m
The Moody Blues LP Present Factory Sealed US $24.99 [0 bids]
LP Album The Moody Blues Seventh Sojourn US $1.25 [0 bids]
Reel to Reel tape Kristoferson, James Taylor, Moody Blues US $12.00 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES 33 LP record album 1968 IN SEARCH OF THE LOST CHORD w/ insert Deram US $4.50 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES - ICON [THE MOODY BLUES] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $4.33 Buy It Now 3h 54m
moody blues LP in search of the lost chord 1968 SML 711 original 4W/3W VG++ US $16.93 Buy It Now 3h 56m
MOODY BLUES 33 LP record album 1967 DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED w/ insert Deram London US $3.20 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES - CAUGHT LIVE + 5 - GATE FOLD COVER - LONDON-2PS 690/1 - "SEALED" US $40.00 Buy It Now 3h 57m
Days of Future Passed The Moody Blues DES18012 Vinyl Record 12" LP Album Vintage US $3.95 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES -7 inch Platinum Disc & Song Sheet- NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN US $135.56 Buy It Now 4h 10m
THE MOODY BLUES ......LEGEND OF A BAND (CD) US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 12m
The MOODY BLUES: This Is .... US $14.50 Buy It Now 4h 17m
Moody Blues - In the Beginning Deram 18051 VG+/VG++ Jacket VG+ US $33.99 Buy It Now 4h 26m
Original 1971 THE MOODY BLUES Every Good Boy LP Vinyl Record ALBUM 12" THS 5 US $26.98 Buy It Now 4h 27m
Justin Hayward - Spirits Of The Western Sky CD Moody Blues singer US $15.95 Buy It Now 4h 31m
SEALED THE MOODY BLUES OCTAVE LP LONDON RECORDS 1978 DECCA US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 33m
The Moody Blues - In Search Of The Lost Ch NEW CD US $8.32 Buy It Now 4h 35m
Moody Blues, This is the Moody Blues Threshold Records 1974 US $3.99 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES-ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM-DERAM DES 18025 VG+/VG+ LP US $6.98 Buy It Now 4h 43m
THE MOODY BLUES Seventh Sojourn ORG '72 PROG-PSYCH SHRINK! EX+!! US $40.00 Buy It Now 4h 44m
MOODY BLUES OCTAVE VINYL LP LONDON GATEFOLD VG+ US $6.50 Buy It Now 4h 48m
THE MOODY BLUES-QUESTION 7" SINGLE CHEAP US $5.07 Buy It Now 4h 55m
THE MOODY BLUES THE PRESENT 1983 GATEFOLD SLEEVED LP *NEAR MINT ITEM THROUGHOUT US $16.86 Buy It Now 4h 57m
MOODY BLUES RECORD ALBUM A QUESTION OF BALANCE THS-3 *GREAT SHAPE*(R529) US $14.95 [0 bids]
5h
MOODY BLUES ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM STEREO LP DERAM LONDON US $2.95 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES IN SEARCH OF THE LOST CHORD STEREO LP DERAM LONDON US $2.95 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES QUESTION OF BALANCE LP ALBUM THRESHOLD RECORDS US $2.95 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES SEVENTH SOJOURN LP ALBUM THRESHOLD RECORDS US $2.95 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES A FAVOUR LP ALBUM THRESHOLD RECORDS US $2.95 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED DERAM STEREO LP US $2.95 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES TO OUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN LP ALBUM THRESHOLD RECORDS US $2.95 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues,Vinyl LP Threshold Records,1970,THS-3, A Question of Balance US $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 4m
2 Vinyl LPs: Moody Blues; 12", 33 1/3 RPM, Good (G), LP US $5.99 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES THREE VINYL LP OFFER + FREE COLLECTORS 12 INCH SINGLE* TO CLEAR US $27.03 Buy It Now 5h 10m
The Moody Blues - Octave NEW CD US $8.32 Buy It Now 5h 21m
Days Of Future Passed by The Moody Blues - DECCA - DERAM - Made in West Gremany US $5.98 [0 bids]
TM Century 623N Radio Promo GoldDisc CD Compilation (LIKE NEW) Moody Blues US $6.95 [1 bids]
COLLECTIBLE RECORD "THE MOODY BLUES EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FAVOUR" US $25.00 Buy It Now 5h 38m
MOODY BLUES BUSHBUCK TMOQ red LP (TMQ/SWINGIN PIG/TAKRL) stamped cover US $100.00 [0 bids]
Graeme Edge Band Lp w Adrian Gurvitz x Moody Blues & Gun US $3.99 Buy It Now 5h 53m
MOODY BLUES,,,A QUESTION OF BALANCE L/P US $7.99 Buy It Now 5h 55m
A MOODY BLUES TRIO OF ALBUMS COMPRISING FIVE (5) RECORDS US $4.50 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Moody Blues - Days Of Future Past MFSL US $30.00 [0 bids]
Voices in the Sky: The Best of the Moody Blues CD 1984 West Germany Pressing US $10.95 Buy It Now 5h 57m
The Moody Blues" Days of Future Passed" (24k gold CD,1989, MFSL) US $70.00 Buy It Now 5h 59m
DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED THE MOODY BLUES WITH THE LONDON FESTIVAL ORCHESTRA RECORD US $19.99 Buy It Now 6h
Moody Blues A QUESTION OF BALANCE 180g Gatefold NEW SEALED Friday Music VINYL LP US $25.50 [0 bids]
6h
The Moody Blues In Search Of The Lost Chord Rock LP OBI Piranha Records US $35.00 Buy It Now 6h 5m
MOODY BLUES OUR CHILDREN JAPAN REPLICA TO THE ORIGINAL LP 2002 LIMITED OBI CD US $99.99 Buy It Now 6h 8m
MOODY BLUES THRESHOLD Japan REPLICA TO THE ORIGINAL LP 2002 ISSUE OBI SEALED CD US $84.99 Buy It Now 6h 15m
MOODY BLUES TO OUR CHILDRENS CHILDREN 1969 Usa 1st Press Lp No Barcode US $28.99 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES - THE PRESENT - "SEALED" - "SEALED" US $30.00 Buy It Now 6h 20m
MOODY BLUES ( NEW CD ) ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM (REMASTERED + 9 BONUS TRACKS) US $7.57 Buy It Now 6h 23m
Moody Blues - To Our Childrens Childrens Children CD US $19.95 Buy It Now 6h 30m
#65 Lot 5 CDs-Moody Blues-John Cougar-38 Special-Stone Cold Metal-Crowded House US $9.95 Buy It Now 6h 39m
The Moody Blues: Videobiography (DVD) [USG] US $4.91 Buy It Now 6h 43m
Moody Blues "Seventh Sojourn" (2) US $10.99 Buy It Now 6h 46m
MOODY BLUES scarce stock 7" 45 STEPPING IN A SLIDE ZONE US $10.80 Buy It Now 6h 46m
Moody Blues *GUITAR TABS * Lesson Software CD US $6.95 Buy It Now 6h 58m
2- MOODY BLUES VINYL ALBUMS 1968 & 1972 12" London Records US $10.00 [0 bids]
7h
THE MOODY BLUES - "A QUESTION OF BALANCE" LP 1970 US $3.37 [0 bids]
Long Distance Voyager by The Moody Blues LP FREE SHIPPING US $17.00 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES cassette tape album SURLAMER US $8.12 Buy It Now 7h 17m

More places to buy THE MOODY BLUES music online Buy THE MOODY BLUES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE MOODY BLUES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE MOODY BLUES Lovely To See You Live ratings distribution

THE MOODY BLUES Lovely To See You Live reviews

Review by Joolz
3 stars Another day, another Moody Blues live album. Ah, but this one has a twist - this time there is no orchestra! Instead, we get the core of founder-members Justin Hayward, John Lodge and Graeme Edge, together with additional drummer, 2 keyboard players and a flautist. And the music benefits.

It will soon be 40 years since Hayward and Lodge joined the Moodies, but on this evidence they sound younger and more invigorated than for many years. The lack of an orchestra seems to give the music room to breathe, and the musicians to stretch out more - the band are tight and full of energy, rocking out with vigour on the up tempo numbers yet equally at home on the gentler material where subtlety is required. Hayward's voice is just as silky smooth and expressive as it always has been, as indeed is his guitar work. Lodge's voice has sadly suffered a little from age as he can no longer reach those highs. Much of the time the female backing singers take care of that side of things, but even when singing normally he sounds to be straining a little. The other notable performance is by Norda Mullen the flautist who does a good job in filling the gap left by departed Ray Thomas.

It is hard to pick highlights, as nearly all the songs are performed well, but my personal favourites are Hayward's The Other Side Of Life, Lodge's Talking Out Of Turn, and most of all, hearing Graeme Edge recite Higher And Higher to a brilliant instrumental workout. Aside from the obvious standards, which all benefit from this new setting, it is nice to hear one or two oldies afresh: The Actor and Are You Sitting Comfortably stand up well after all these years, and Hayward's rendition of his solo hit Forever Autumn is a welcome addition. The only song which, for me, doesn't quite hit the spot is Ride My See-Saw which on this occasion seems like an anti-climax after a magnificent Question.

This album was recorded live at The Greek Theatre, Los Angeles in June 2005 with an appreciative and typically enthusiastic audience. They all sound as if they were enjoying the proceedings - band and audience alike - but, fortunately, the audience noise is balanced well enough not to interfere with the music. Any dialogue between band and audience is largely restricted to the "and the next track is ..." variety. The sound is excellent, being mostly crisp and clear, though there may be issues with the mix in some places: the backing vocals are sometimes too recessed; a couple of songs are devalued a little by over-prominent drums; and the bass is often indistinct. But these are only minor quibbles and do not detract from the listening experience.

I really love this album, and it has quickly become a favourite. It reminds me of their 'Caught Live + 5' (recorded in the 60s) - sure this is a lot more polished and professional in every way, but there is the same feeling of raw energy and excitement which I did not expect from guys that I had written off years ago (shame on me). In an ideal world I would rate it with a maximum score, but this is ProgArchives, and this album's relevance to Prog is questionable. I have therefore chosen to rate it 3: in it's relationship with Prog it is good, but not essential. However, I would wholeheartedly recommend it to all fans of the Moodies!

Send comments to Joolz (BETA) | Report this review (#75486) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars Over time, as the band moved from mega-popular art-poppers to (largely) over-the-hill old farts, certain things just became frozen solid in the band's live show. "Tuesday Afternoon" would be either the first or second song. Immediately following it would be Ray singing "For my Lady" or (for a brief period) "Eternity Road." The first half of the show would end with "I Know You're Out There Somewhere," immediately followed by "Story in Your Eyes." The second half would open with "Your Wildest Dreams," "Isn't Life Strange?" and "The Other Side of Life," and close with "I'm Just a Singer etc," "Nights," "Legend of a Mind," "Question" and "Ride My See-Saw" as the encore. This is the third live album to come out of this general mold in the 90's and 00's, and it's tough to see at first what the heck the point of it would be.

Well, the point of it is that (a) it's probably the best of the three, and (b) it offers a lot of things that the last two live albums don't (not the least of which is that this has no orchestra). I'm as sad as anybody that Ray had to retire from the band, but with respect to the band's tours and this album (and actually, I caught this tour the same month as when this was recorded), his retirement was a boon, because it spurred the band into bringing out a lot of otherwise neglected material. Besides, the replacement flautist, one Norda Mullen, fills his shoes just fine, and she really sounds just thrilled to be on stage the whole time.

Rather than talking about the tracks that appear on every Moodies live album possible (which are done just fine, mind you, but not with anything revelatory about them), I'll instead talk about the ones that are surprises (all pleasant ones) to see. They open with, naturally, "Lovely to See You," and while it's never been one of my very favorite MB tracks, it shows right away that Justin's still in good vocal form, and it's definitely nice that there's much less of a keyboard presence in this version than in the one on Red Rocks. A few tracks later is big surprise #1: "The Actor." It's a very stirring rendition of a song that I enjoy more and more as I get older (not that I didn't like it when I was younger or anything, though), and Norda's first real melodic showcase.

Next up is a track that I had wanted an official live version of for years, "Steppin' in a Slide Zone." Man, the lyrics to this song may get dumber every time I hear them, and there's just something oh so wrong about the psuedo-tough feel to it, but I've loved this song at all three Moodies concerts I've heard in my life, and I love it here. So much for my rock'n'roll credibility. Anyway, after a decent (but inexplicably short; they cut out the "And how many words have I got to say ..." verse) runthrough of "The Voice," there's an extremely lovely performance of "Talking Out of Turn," trimmed from the overlong original length of 7+ minutes down to a more managable 5:43. It sounds a bazillion times more inspired than the perfunctory runthrough of "I Know You're Out There Somewhere" that immediately follows, I'll tell you what (Sheesh, it's a decent enough song, but it should not be a live standard!).

To kick off the second half, before Lodge and Edge come out, Hayward brings out the second big surprise; a rendition of "Forever Autumn" (!!!!!) with just Paul Bliss and Gordon Marshall (the second drummer) backing him up. The song (if you've forgotten, it was originally done for the War of the Worlds soundtrack Jeff Wayne put together in the late 70's) has been unavailable outside the band's myriad compilations (including Time Traveller) and Justin's Classic Blue album, so it might be worth getting this album just to have a version of this super-duper gorgeous number lying around. And speaking of gorgeous, a few tracks later we have "December Snow," which actually turns out to be close to a late-period MB classic (the mix of Norda's rolling flute lines and the way Justin sings, "Time take this sadness from me, time bring my heart back safely" is a good way to pull a couple of my heart strings).

Now, this may seem like a pretty decent number of surprises already for a MB live album, and it would be, but two bigger ones remain. The first is, I kid you not, a spirited rendition of "Higher and Higher," with the band bringing back that amazing TOCCC vibe with aplomb while Graeme recites the poem and tears down the house by dancing and bouncing around the stage. It's the closest (aside from, maybe, the end of "Singer") you'll get to hearing the band really doing any kind of "jamming," and it provides a reminder that Justin is a pretty decent guitarist after all. And then, to calm things down, the band goes into the softer side of its 1969 repertiore with "Are You Sitting Comfortably?," in which Norda steals the show. Her flute lines are sooooooo mystical and enchanting (Gordon also plays second flute in the background) that she arguably outdoes Ray at his own game (in this case, anyway); all we need is a mellotron and, well, it would be the late 60's all over again.

So that, aside from all of the stuff that any remaining MB fan knows of their shows, is your really nice live album. It can't get higher than a **** because it's kinda not very necessary in the grand scheme of things, but I can't pretend that I didn't enjoy this album to death while intensely listening to it for reviewing purposes, so giving it lower than a **** would seem fraudulent too. But guys, you might want to back off of the "1 studio, 1 live" pattern for a bit; unless you plan on bringing out some Present tracks, anyway (or if they never make another studio album, which as of 2010 looks pretty likely)...

PS: The best "you dork" moment of the album: while introducing "Higher and Higher," Graeme tries to work the crowd into a frenzy by emphasizing that this is a song they wrote about three decades ago, a tactic that strikes me as dumb for two reasons. First, a lot of the songs in the program were written more than three decades before the recording of this album, and second, three decades previous to this, the band was on hiatus and doing solo albums. Do your math, hippie!

PPS: I do admit, though, that the line about how the song was written, "Back when my hair was brown, and my teeth were white," is a funny one.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#289172) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 04, 2010

4 stars This album is a treat for old Moodies fans like myself. It contains nothing new but has a fresh sound, probably resulting from the latest group of excellent supporting musicians, and the simpler arrangements without orchestra. But the new lease on life may also come from the fact Justin and Joh ... (read more)

Report this review (#118394) | Posted by DocB | Saturday, April 14, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE MOODY BLUES "Lovely To See You Live"