LOVELY TO SEE YOU LIVE

The Moody Blues Lovely To See You Live album cover

Buy THE MOODY BLUES Music
Live, released in 2005

DISC ONE
1. Lovely To See You (4:13)
2. Tuesday Afternoon (4:23)
3. Lean On Me (Tonight) (4:44)
4. The Actor (5:46)
5. Steppin' In A Slide Zone (4:51)
6. The Voice (4:17)
7. Talking Out Of Turn (5:43)
8. I Know You're Out There Somewhere (5:23)
9. The Story In Your Eyes (3:54)

DISC TWO
1. Forever Autumn (4:37)
2. Your Wildest Dreams (4:55)
3. Isn't Life Strange (7:48)
4. The Other Side Of Life (5:06)
5. December Snow (4:45)
6. Higher And Higher (5:07)
7. Are You Sitting Comfortably? (4:43)
8. I'm Just A Singer (In A Rock & Roll Band) (6:46)
9. Nights In White Satin (6:00)
10. Question (6:09)
11. Ride My See-Saw (5:12)

Search THE MOODY BLUES Lovely To See You Live lyrics

- Norda Mullen / flute, guitar, tambourine, vocals
- Gordon Marshall / drums, percussion, flute, keyboard
- Paul Bliss / keyboards, guitar
- Bernie Barlow / keyboards, vocals, tambourine

Image !D2851RQ, 2CD (USA)

Thanks to Joolz for the addition

THE MOODY BLUES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE MOODY BLUES Lovely To See You Live Music

Every Good Boy Deserves FavourEvery Good Boy Deserves Favour
Seventh SojournSeventh Sojourn
Question of BalanceQuestion of Balance
Polydor / Umgd 2008
THE MOODY BLUES - ICON 2 [THE MOODY BLUES] [CD BOXSET] [2 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $8.88 Buy It Now 31m 3s
MOODY BLUES In Search Of The Lost Chord ORIG 1968 German IMPORT STEREO LP Deram US $19.95 Buy It Now 37m 47s
Very Rare "Question of Balance" quadraphonic 8 track tape "The Moody Blues" US $48.98 [2 bids]
40m 28s
THE MOODY BLUES "DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED" DERAM RECORDS STEREO DES-18012 EX/EX US $2.00 [0 bids]
40m 58s
WERNER MULLER Mystic Portrait Of Moody Blues LP London Phase 4 SP-44204 (1974) US $9.97 Buy It Now 47m 24s
Moody Blues I'm Just a Singer 7"45 VG+ Spanish Press US $7.00 Buy It Now 51m 33s
Moody Blues The Story in Your Eyes French 7"45 VG++/EX US $8.00 Buy It Now 51m 40s
2014 BOX MOODY BLUES LONG DISTANCE JAPAN PLATINUM SHM MINI LP CD HR CUTTING US $45.80 Buy It Now 52m 11s
1970 The Moody Blues A Question Of Balance Record Lp Vinyl Album w/ Poster THS 3 US $0.75 [0 bids]
52m 33s
Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn (Shm-Cd) [CD New] US $36.82 Buy It Now 58m 10s
The Moody Blues - Very Best of the Moody Blues (Live Recording, 2002) 2 CD FAST US $13.03 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Vinyl 45 RPM- The Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin b/w Cities US $3.00 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES "In Search of the Lost Chord" 1968 Progressive Vinyl LP Decca VG++ US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Moody Blues 8-Track Cartridge EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FAVOUR ROCK 8-track US $4.50 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues~Caught Live +5 LP~1985 Issue~Single Pocket~Mint!! US $2.49 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues~In Search Of The Lost Chord LP~1968~Deram 18017~Gatefold~Shrink~ US $2.49 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES SELF TITLED ULTRA RARE NEW SEALED CASSETTE TAPE! US $43.81 Buy It Now 1h 21m
The Moody Blues - Octave US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
MAINHORSE PATRICK MORAZ - MOODY BLUES YES 1971 IMP 1001 U.S. PROG PSYCH LP NM US $19.99 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES TO OUR CHILDRENS CHILDRENS CHILDREN VINYL LP LONDON US $3.99 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES - NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN: COLLECTION NEW CD US $13.71 Buy It Now 1h 46m
The Moody Blues - Every Good Boy Deserves Favour LP Original Gatefold Issue US $9.99 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES QUESTION OF BALANCE FRIDAY MUSIC 180 GRAM REISSUE AS NEW USA SELLER US $19.99 [0 bids]
Vinyl Record Lot Of 5 LPs The Moody Blues Days Of Future Passed US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h 52m
Vinyl Record Lot Of 5 LPs The Moody Blues This Is The Moody Blues V Good Plus C US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h 52m
Moody Blues 34 Greatest Hits 2 CD set US $21.98 [0 bids]
Vintage albums The Moody Blues Seventh Sojourn 1972 US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Vintage albums The Moody Blues In Search Of the Lost Chord 1968 US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 57m
On The Threshold Of A Dream (Bonus Tracks) (G - Moody Blues US $14.48 Buy It Now 1h 57m
The Moody Blues, Lot of 3 US $12.99 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues - Every Good Boy Deserves Favour (1971) JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD US $59.99 Buy It Now 2h 22m
Original THE MOODY BLUES-OUT OF THIS WORLD-1979 K-tel-NE 1051-Import US $0.99 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues-The Other Side of Life Lp Vinyl 1986 US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 27m
THE MOODY BLUES: GREATEST HITS (CD 1989) - 12 Songs US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 34m
Bundle of 3 THRESHOLD RECORDS/THE DECCA RECORD CO The Moody Blues Record Albums US $22.13 [0 bids]
Lot Of 5 Vintage 33 RPM 12" Vinyl Records w/The Moody Blues Question Of Balance US $19.13 [0 bids]
Lot Of 5 Vintage 33 Rpm Vinyl Records w/Fleetwood Mac The Moody Blues US $19.13 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues - The Present. Mint UK Gatefold Vinyl LP. Plus Insert. (1985) US $6.99 [0 bids]
Vinyl Record LP - The Moody Blues - in Search of the Lost Chord Prog Classic US $6.99 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues Every Good Boy Deserves Favour Vinyl LP THS 5 US $3.99 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES This Is The... 2-LP Threshold 1974 Nights In White Satin/Question US $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Vinyl Record LP - The Moody Blues - Long Distance Voyager Prog US $6.99 [0 bids]
Patrick Moraz S/T self-titled vinyl LP 1976 Moody Blues US $4.95 Buy It Now 2h 59m
MOODY BLUES "OCTANE" LONDON 1978 GATEFOLD VINYL LP ALBUM* US $2.49 Buy It Now 2h 59m
1968 The Moody Blues Nights In White Satin / Cities 7" Single Deram #85023 (VG US $1.99 [0 bids]
Moody Blues Vinyl Record Lot 6 London Records Late 1960's 1970's Good Condition US $7.95 [0 bids]
"THE MOODY BLUES" "EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FAVOUR" US $9.00 Buy It Now 3h 11m
THE MOODY BLUES CHILDREN ULTRA RARE AUSSIE CASSETTE TAPE! US $16.99 Buy It Now 3h 14m
MOODY BLUES "DAYS OF FUTURE PAST" MUSIC CASSETTE TAPE ROCK EX! US $3.69 Buy It Now 3h 14m
THE MOODY BLUES GO NOW ULTRA RARE AUSSIE CASSETTE TAPE! US $21.24 Buy It Now 3h 21m
"Classic Rock" "The Moody Blues" 'The Departure" "Rare LP" US $9.99 [0 bids]
Moody Blues 45 Rpm Record Painted Smile Gemini Dream Threshold Records US $1.00 [0 bids]
Moody Blues 45 rpm Record Painted Smile - Gemini Dream US $1.00 [0 bids]
Moody Blues - Every Good Boy Deserves Favour - 4 Track 7.5 IPS Reel Tape - Good US $20.50 [5 bids]
Sur La Mer by The Moody Blues (Cassette, Jun-1988, Polydor) US $0.99 Buy It Now 3h 42m
THE MOODY BLUES Long Distance Voyager LP Vinyl 1981 Threshold TRL-1-2901 US $2.95 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES Seventh Sojourn LP Vinyl 1972 Threshold Records THS 7 US $2.95 [0 bids]
GRAEME EDGE BAND "Kick Off Your Muddy.." LP 1975 US ORIG (Threshold) MOODY BLUES US $21.88 Buy It Now 4h 8m
Keys of the Kingdom by Moody Blues (The) (CD, Apr-2006, Universal Special Pro... US $5.00 Buy It Now 4h 15m
Moody Blues - On The Threshold LP UK Import s US $21.99 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Moody Blues - To Our Childrens Childrens LP UK Import s US $21.99 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Moody Blues - In The Beginning LP Promo VG+/VG+ s US $21.99 Buy It Now 4h 20m
1972 PSYCH ROCK The Moody Blues / Seventh Sojourn LP VG++ Vinyl @ US $3.00 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES LP ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM DES 18025 LONDON DERAM SEALED! US $19.95 [0 bids]
Voices in the Sky: The Best of the Moody Blues by The Moody Blues CD Germany US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 29m
Radio Show: FLASHBACK! 9/16/02 RICK DERRINGER, MOODY BLUES, ELP, JOURNEY, DOORS US $16.99 Buy It Now 4h 32m
Rock MOODY BLUES The Other Side Of Life NM 829179 EB860 US $10.99 Buy It Now 4h 46m
The Moody Blues Keys to the Kingdom Rare nm- Clear Cassette US $2.95 Buy It Now 4h 50m
The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed - STEREO DES 18012 - (NM-) Lp US $6.99 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES-JUSTIN HAYWARD-12 LP'S-DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED-SEVENTH SOJOURN-1ST US $41.99 Buy It Now 5h 4m
The Moody Blues #1 Go Now US $16.00 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES - KEYS OF THE KINGDOM - NEW CD US $6.32 Buy It Now 5h 14m
THIS IS THE MOODY BLUES US $13.00 [0 bids]
Moody Blues "Go Now!" Smash Hit DECCA Oz 7" US $5.36 Buy It Now 5h 26m
Moody Blues "Question" Very Nice Oz THRESHOLD 7" US $8.94 Buy It Now 5h 26m
Moody Blues "Your Wildest Dreams" Schmick Oz 7" US $7.15 Buy It Now 5h 27m
* MOODY BLUES "SEVENTH SOJOURN" THRESHOLD 1972 GATEFOLD VINYL LP ALBUM* US $2.09 Buy It Now 5h 42m
* MOODY BLUES "ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM" DERAM GATEFOLD VINYL LP ALBUM* US $2.99 Buy It Now 5h 42m
Vintage albums The Moody Blues To Our Childrens Childrens Children US $5.00 Buy It Now 5h 44m
MOODY BLUES: Talking Out Of Turn (rock & pop vinyl 45) US $15.00 Buy It Now 5h 48m
1977 PSYCHEDELIC ROCK The Moody Blues Caught Live +5 Vinyl 2x LP US $1.99 [0 bids]
1968 SYMPHONIC PROG ROCK The Moody Blues Voices In The Sky Best Of Vinyl LP US $1.99 [0 bids]
1972 PSYCHEDELIC PROG ROCK The Moody Blues Seventh Sojourn LP I'M JUST A SINGER US $1.99 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM US $10.00 [0 bids]
Moody Blues From The Bottom Of My Heart Vinyl 45 US $16.99 Buy It Now 6h 7m
MOODY BLUES Question Of Balance EXCEPTIONAL ORIG THRESHOLD WHITE LABEL LP US $5.96 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES THE PRESENT EXPANDED & REMASTERED CD AS NEW !! US $9.99 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED VERY GOOD PLUS ORIGINAL 1968 DERAM LP US $2.96 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES**DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED**CD US $9.98 Buy It Now 6h 45m
THE MOODY BLUES "KNIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN" 45 RPM ORIGINAL UK RARE ISSUE DERAM US $3.99 [0 bids]
Vintage The Moody Blues record album "In Search of the Lost Chord" US $25.00 Buy It Now 6h 48m
MOODY BLUES Days Of Future Passed CASSETTE TAPE Deram 1967/197? Reissue US $6.95 Buy It Now 6h 58m
MOODY BLUES SEARCH OF THE LOST CHORD RARE 8 TRACK TAPE TESTED LATE NITE BARGAIN! US $2.00 Buy It Now 7h 15m
"THIS IS THE MOODY BLUES" LP Album by THE MOODY BLUES US $3.25 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM ULTRA RARE AUSSIE CASSETTE TAPE! US $19.67 Buy It Now 7h 40m
The Story of The Moody Blues Legend of a Band CD The Voice Nights In White Satin US $5.95 Buy It Now 8h 9m
THE MOODY BLUES In Search of The Lost Chord 33RPM RECORD LP Vinyl DES 18017 US $4.90 Buy It Now 8h 17m
THE MOODY BLUES - JOURNEY THROUGH TIME CD US $7.24 Buy It Now 8h 28m
MOODY BLUES On The Threshold Of A Dream LP Deram Gatefold w/12 pg book 1st press US $3.50 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES - SUR LA MER NEW CD US $13.71 Buy It Now 8h 36m

More places to buy THE MOODY BLUES music online Buy THE MOODY BLUES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE MOODY BLUES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE MOODY BLUES Lovely To See You Live ratings distribution

THE MOODY BLUES Lovely To See You Live reviews

Review by Joolz
3 stars Another day, another Moody Blues live album. Ah, but this one has a twist - this time there is no orchestra! Instead, we get the core of founder-members Justin Hayward, John Lodge and Graeme Edge, together with additional drummer, 2 keyboard players and a flautist. And the music benefits.

It will soon be 40 years since Hayward and Lodge joined the Moodies, but on this evidence they sound younger and more invigorated than for many years. The lack of an orchestra seems to give the music room to breathe, and the musicians to stretch out more - the band are tight and full of energy, rocking out with vigour on the up tempo numbers yet equally at home on the gentler material where subtlety is required. Hayward's voice is just as silky smooth and expressive as it always has been, as indeed is his guitar work. Lodge's voice has sadly suffered a little from age as he can no longer reach those highs. Much of the time the female backing singers take care of that side of things, but even when singing normally he sounds to be straining a little. The other notable performance is by Norda Mullen the flautist who does a good job in filling the gap left by departed Ray Thomas.

It is hard to pick highlights, as nearly all the songs are performed well, but my personal favourites are Hayward's The Other Side Of Life, Lodge's Talking Out Of Turn, and most of all, hearing Graeme Edge recite Higher And Higher to a brilliant instrumental workout. Aside from the obvious standards, which all benefit from this new setting, it is nice to hear one or two oldies afresh: The Actor and Are You Sitting Comfortably stand up well after all these years, and Hayward's rendition of his solo hit Forever Autumn is a welcome addition. The only song which, for me, doesn't quite hit the spot is Ride My See-Saw which on this occasion seems like an anti-climax after a magnificent Question.

This album was recorded live at The Greek Theatre, Los Angeles in June 2005 with an appreciative and typically enthusiastic audience. They all sound as if they were enjoying the proceedings - band and audience alike - but, fortunately, the audience noise is balanced well enough not to interfere with the music. Any dialogue between band and audience is largely restricted to the "and the next track is ..." variety. The sound is excellent, being mostly crisp and clear, though there may be issues with the mix in some places: the backing vocals are sometimes too recessed; a couple of songs are devalued a little by over-prominent drums; and the bass is often indistinct. But these are only minor quibbles and do not detract from the listening experience.

I really love this album, and it has quickly become a favourite. It reminds me of their 'Caught Live + 5' (recorded in the 60s) - sure this is a lot more polished and professional in every way, but there is the same feeling of raw energy and excitement which I did not expect from guys that I had written off years ago (shame on me). In an ideal world I would rate it with a maximum score, but this is ProgArchives, and this album's relevance to Prog is questionable. I have therefore chosen to rate it 3: in it's relationship with Prog it is good, but not essential. However, I would wholeheartedly recommend it to all fans of the Moodies!

Send comments to Joolz (BETA) | Report this review (#75486) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars Over time, as the band moved from mega-popular art-poppers to (largely) over-the-hill old farts, certain things just became frozen solid in the band's live show. "Tuesday Afternoon" would be either the first or second song. Immediately following it would be Ray singing "For my Lady" or (for a brief period) "Eternity Road." The first half of the show would end with "I Know You're Out There Somewhere," immediately followed by "Story in Your Eyes." The second half would open with "Your Wildest Dreams," "Isn't Life Strange?" and "The Other Side of Life," and close with "I'm Just a Singer etc," "Nights," "Legend of a Mind," "Question" and "Ride My See-Saw" as the encore. This is the third live album to come out of this general mold in the 90's and 00's, and it's tough to see at first what the heck the point of it would be.

Well, the point of it is that (a) it's probably the best of the three, and (b) it offers a lot of things that the last two live albums don't (not the least of which is that this has no orchestra). I'm as sad as anybody that Ray had to retire from the band, but with respect to the band's tours and this album (and actually, I caught this tour the same month as when this was recorded), his retirement was a boon, because it spurred the band into bringing out a lot of otherwise neglected material. Besides, the replacement flautist, one Norda Mullen, fills his shoes just fine, and she really sounds just thrilled to be on stage the whole time.

Rather than talking about the tracks that appear on every Moodies live album possible (which are done just fine, mind you, but not with anything revelatory about them), I'll instead talk about the ones that are surprises (all pleasant ones) to see. They open with, naturally, "Lovely to See You," and while it's never been one of my very favorite MB tracks, it shows right away that Justin's still in good vocal form, and it's definitely nice that there's much less of a keyboard presence in this version than in the one on Red Rocks. A few tracks later is big surprise #1: "The Actor." It's a very stirring rendition of a song that I enjoy more and more as I get older (not that I didn't like it when I was younger or anything, though), and Norda's first real melodic showcase.

Next up is a track that I had wanted an official live version of for years, "Steppin' in a Slide Zone." Man, the lyrics to this song may get dumber every time I hear them, and there's just something oh so wrong about the psuedo-tough feel to it, but I've loved this song at all three Moodies concerts I've heard in my life, and I love it here. So much for my rock'n'roll credibility. Anyway, after a decent (but inexplicably short; they cut out the "And how many words have I got to say ..." verse) runthrough of "The Voice," there's an extremely lovely performance of "Talking Out of Turn," trimmed from the overlong original length of 7+ minutes down to a more managable 5:43. It sounds a bazillion times more inspired than the perfunctory runthrough of "I Know You're Out There Somewhere" that immediately follows, I'll tell you what (Sheesh, it's a decent enough song, but it should not be a live standard!).

To kick off the second half, before Lodge and Edge come out, Hayward brings out the second big surprise; a rendition of "Forever Autumn" (!!!!!) with just Paul Bliss and Gordon Marshall (the second drummer) backing him up. The song (if you've forgotten, it was originally done for the War of the Worlds soundtrack Jeff Wayne put together in the late 70's) has been unavailable outside the band's myriad compilations (including Time Traveller) and Justin's Classic Blue album, so it might be worth getting this album just to have a version of this super-duper gorgeous number lying around. And speaking of gorgeous, a few tracks later we have "December Snow," which actually turns out to be close to a late-period MB classic (the mix of Norda's rolling flute lines and the way Justin sings, "Time take this sadness from me, time bring my heart back safely" is a good way to pull a couple of my heart strings).

Now, this may seem like a pretty decent number of surprises already for a MB live album, and it would be, but two bigger ones remain. The first is, I kid you not, a spirited rendition of "Higher and Higher," with the band bringing back that amazing TOCCC vibe with aplomb while Graeme recites the poem and tears down the house by dancing and bouncing around the stage. It's the closest (aside from, maybe, the end of "Singer") you'll get to hearing the band really doing any kind of "jamming," and it provides a reminder that Justin is a pretty decent guitarist after all. And then, to calm things down, the band goes into the softer side of its 1969 repertiore with "Are You Sitting Comfortably?," in which Norda steals the show. Her flute lines are sooooooo mystical and enchanting (Gordon also plays second flute in the background) that she arguably outdoes Ray at his own game (in this case, anyway); all we need is a mellotron and, well, it would be the late 60's all over again.

So that, aside from all of the stuff that any remaining MB fan knows of their shows, is your really nice live album. It can't get higher than a **** because it's kinda not very necessary in the grand scheme of things, but I can't pretend that I didn't enjoy this album to death while intensely listening to it for reviewing purposes, so giving it lower than a **** would seem fraudulent too. But guys, you might want to back off of the "1 studio, 1 live" pattern for a bit; unless you plan on bringing out some Present tracks, anyway (or if they never make another studio album, which as of 2010 looks pretty likely)...

PS: The best "you dork" moment of the album: while introducing "Higher and Higher," Graeme tries to work the crowd into a frenzy by emphasizing that this is a song they wrote about three decades ago, a tactic that strikes me as dumb for two reasons. First, a lot of the songs in the program were written more than three decades before the recording of this album, and second, three decades previous to this, the band was on hiatus and doing solo albums. Do your math, hippie!

PPS: I do admit, though, that the line about how the song was written, "Back when my hair was brown, and my teeth were white," is a funny one.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#289172) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 04, 2010

4 stars This album is a treat for old Moodies fans like myself. It contains nothing new but has a fresh sound, probably resulting from the latest group of excellent supporting musicians, and the simpler arrangements without orchestra. But the new lease on life may also come from the fact Justin and Joh ... (read more)

Report this review (#118394) | Posted by DocB | Saturday, April 14, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE MOODY BLUES "Lovely To See You Live"