FIRST CIRCLE (PAT METHENY GROUP)

Pat Metheny

Pat Metheny First Circle (Pat Metheny Group) album cover

Buy PAT METHENY Music
Studio Album, released in 1984

1. Forward March (2:49)
2. Yolanda, You Learn (4:49)
3. The First Circle (9:16)
4. If I Could (7:01)
5. Tell It All (7:59)
6. End of the Game (8:02)
7. Más Allá (Beyond) (5:40)
8. Praise (4:18)

Search PAT METHENY First Circle (Pat Metheny Group) lyrics

Search PAT METHENY First Circle (Pat Metheny Group) tabs

- Pat Metheny / synthesizer, guitar (acoustic), guitar, guitar (electric), sitar, guitar (12 string), synclavier, slide guitar, guitar (classical), sitar (electric)
- Steve Rodby / bass, bass (electric), drums (bass), guitar (bass)
- Paul Wertico cymbals, drums, drums (snare)
- Pedro Aznar / guitar (acoustic), guitar, glockenspiel, vocals, voices, guitar (12 string), whistle (instrument), bells, lyricist, guitar (classical)
- Lyle Mays / organ, synthesizer, piano, trumpet, keyboards, bells, synclavier, oberheim, agogo bell

CD ECM 823342-2
LP ECM 25008

Thanks to PROGMAN for the addition

PAT METHENY MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PAT METHENY First Circle (Pat Metheny Group) Music

OfframpOfframp
Ecm Records 1999
Pat Metheny GroupPat Metheny Group
Ecm Records 2000
As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita FallsAs Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls
Bright Size LifeBright Size Life
PAT METHENY Ornette Coleman Song X lp US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Pat Metheny - Quartet [CD New] US $44.08 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Geffen Records Pat Metheny Group US $2.00 [0 bids]
CASSETTE PAT METHENY GROUP OFFRAMP 1982 ECM RECORDS OOP RARE US $6.49 Buy It Now 2h 40m
PAT METHENY - METHENY MEHLDAU - NEW CD US $12.93 Buy It Now 2h 51m
GARY BURTON-REUNION-PAT METHENY/MITCH FORMAN/WILL LEE/PETER ERSKINE SEALED CD US $11.98 Buy It Now 3h 41m
PAT METHENY GROUP LP RECORD - TRAVELS US $8.88 [0 bids]
PAT METHENY GROUP LP RECORD - AMERICAN GARAGE US $7.77 [0 bids]
PAT METHENY GROUP LP RECORD - RARE PROMO 1983 US $7.77 [0 bids]
PAT METHENY GROUP Lyle Mays Mark Egan Dan Gottlieb Promo Vintage Record album LP US $9.95 Buy It Now 5h
Steve Reich Electric Counterpoint; Different Trains by Pat Metheny SEALED CD,... US $11.90 Buy It Now 5h
PAT METHENY=OFFRAMP CASSETTE TAPE. VG CONDITION. US $10.95 Buy It Now 5h 37m
PAT METHENY & LYLE MAYS-AS FALLS WICHTA SO FALLS WICHITA FALLS-CASSETTE VG+ US $9.95 Buy It Now 5h 40m
PAT METHENY- TRAVELS VG++ VINYL US $21.95 Buy It Now 5h 40m
NM Falcon & Snowman strk LP . David Bowie / Pat Metheny US $7.00 Buy It Now 6h 8m
Pat Metheny "80/81" An ECM Production 1980 ECM Records GmbH. US $0.99 [0 bids]
Pat Metheny Better Days In The Wind US $19.99 [0 bids]
PAT METHENY GROUP LP Offramp ~ ORIG '82 ECM ~ JAZZ FUSION ~ MINT- US $4.00 [0 bids]
PAT METHENY GROUP Roots of Coincidence w/ Goldie Remix 12" Vinyl Record US $8.99 [0 bids]
PAT METHENY GROUP ~ Offramp (CD 1983) GERMANY IMPORT US $19.89 Buy It Now 7h 4m
Secret Story by Pat Metheny CD Guitar, Jazz Instrument UPC: 0208314444222 US $3.99 [0 bids]
PAT METHENY CHARLIE HADEN BILLY HIGGINS Rejoicing NM LP ECM 1271 Like New US $6.99 Buy It Now 7h 31m
PAT METHENY, THE HEATH BROS., DAVE BRUBECK QUARTET, B.B. KING - LIVE IN CONCERT US $29.59 Buy It Now 9h 6m
Offramp by the Pat Metheny Group west german import US $8.00 [0 bids]
pat metheny & lyle mays as falls wichita, so falls wichita falls cd 1981w german US $8.00 [0 bids]
I Can See Your House from Here john scofield & Pat Metheny CD 1994 Blue Note US $6.00 [0 bids]
PAT METHENY AMERICAN GARAGE LP 852 US $8.99 Buy It Now 10h 2m
JIM HALL/PAT METHENY**JIM HALL AND PAT METHENY (DIGI)**CD US $10.95 Buy It Now 10h 53m
Kin -- [Digipak] by Pat Metheny Unity Group/Pat Metheny (CD, Feb-2014,... US $10.99 Buy It Now 12h 2m
PAT METHENY REJOICING LP 852 US $8.99 Buy It Now 12h 14m
PAT METHENY GROUP / THE ROAD TO YOU US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 14m
PAT METHENY GROUP / QUARTET US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 16m
Pat Metheny - Travels CD UMGD/ECM US $36.59 Buy It Now 13h 42m
PAT METHENY GROUP WE LIVE HERE - CD US $7.99 Buy It Now 13h 46m
B.B. King Dave Brubeck Pat Metheny - Move The Groove CD US $14.39 Buy It Now 14h 10m
Pat Metheny - 80 81 2 LP Vinyl Record LP US $41.69 Buy It Now 15h 5m
PAT METHENY NEW CHUTAUQUA LP 852 US $8.99 Buy It Now 15h 44m
PAT METHENY GROUP-PAT METHENY GROUP-JAPAN SHM-CD Ltd/Ed D20 US $20.99 Buy It Now 16h 9m
Pat Metheny - Kin [CD New] US $11.74 Buy It Now 16h 30m
PAT METHENY & LYLE MAYS-AS FALLS WICHITA SO FALLS WICHITA FALLS-JAPAN SHM-CD D20 US $20.99 Buy It Now 16h 50m
PAT METHENY GROUP AMERICAN GARAGE ECM -1-1155 US $4.99 [0 bids]
Pat Metheny and Brad Mehldau- Quartet - 7559799940 US $21.32 Buy It Now 18h 2m
PAT METHENY-A MAP OF THE WORLD MUSIC FROM AND INSPIRED BY THE MOTI~-JAPAN CD D50 US $19.50 Buy It Now 18h 2m
Pat Metheny- Day Trip - 7559799561 US $10.42 Buy It Now 18h 2m
Pat Metheny - Tap: The Book Of Angels Vol. 20 - TZA8307 US $19.56 Buy It Now 18h 4m
DAVID BOWIE / PAT METHENY GROUP 'THIS IS NOT AMERICA' US IMPORT 7" SINGLE US $3.21 Buy It Now 18h 18m
pat metheny lp new cahtauqua ecm-1-1131 vg++/m- super clean US $5.59 Buy It Now 18h 46m
Pat Metheny Group ?- Pat Metheny Group US $3.99 Buy It Now 19h 13m
DAVID BOWIE / PAT METHENY GROUP This Is Not America UK 12" single in picture sle US $8.06 Buy It Now 19h 21m
Secret Story by Pat Metheny (CD, Jul-1992, Geffen) US $2.99 Buy It Now 21h 6m
PAT METHENY BRIGHT SIZE LIFE JAPAN CD obi 130A US $4.99 [0 bids]
Pat Metheny Group-Offramp-LP-ECM-PAP 25533-Near Mint-Vinyl Record US $2.99 [0 bids]
PAT METHENY - ORCHESTRION - 7559798473 US $10.66 Buy It Now 22h 3m
Pat Metheny Group We Live Here Japan CD US $27.99 Buy It Now 22h 5m
PAT METHENY - KIN ( -- ) - 7559795810 US $19.19 Buy It Now 22h 20m
Pat Metheny -Bright Size Life-1976 (CD, Dec-1986, ECM) US $17.00 Buy It Now 23h
PAT METHENY: Travels LP (2 LPs, gatefold cover) Jazz US $20.00 Buy It Now 23h 16m
DAVID BOWIE PAT METHENY - THIS IS NOT AMERICA - 1985 EA190 - EX US $4.04 Buy It Now 23h 31m
Pat Metheny Group - Letter from Home - CD - Geffen - 9 24245-2 US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
PAT METHENY John Scofield I Can See Your House Cassette SEALED NEW US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CURTIS REID OMNIUMGATHERUM INSTRUMENTAL GUITAR PAT METHENY ERIC JOHNSON NEW CD US $4.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Pat Metheny, Dave Holland, Roy Haynes - Question and Answer - CD US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Falcon and the Snowman Motion Picture Soundtrack David Bowie Pat Metheny Grp US $7.00 [0 bids]
Pat Metheny Group "Travels" - 2 LP Set on ECM Beautiful shape Gatefold w/ insert US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Pat Metheny : New Chautauqua (West German CD) 825 471-2 US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PAT METHENY GROUP "NM DISC" More Travels VALJ-3295 OBI LD V6725 US $39.99 [0 bids]
80/81 by Pat Metheny (CD, 2 Discs, ECM) HADEN/REMAN/M.BRECKER/DeJOHNETTE US $39.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Pat Metheny Group, Lyle Mays, Mark Egan, Dan Gottlieb US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Pat Metheny Group, Off Ramp US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Pat Metheny w/ Haden & Higgins "Rejoicing" NM ECM 1271 LP (WB) Ornette Coleman US $7.19 Buy It Now 1 day
PAT METHENY - NEW CHAUTAUQUA VERY GOOD+ 12" LP US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Pat Metheny : One Quiet Night CD (2003) US $19.28 Buy It Now 1 day
Imaginary Day, Pat Metheny, Very Good US $2.98 Buy It Now 1 day
STEVE REICH CD Different Trains - Kronos Quartet / Pat Metheny US $12.75 Buy It Now 1 day
PAT METHENY GROUP Imaginary Day TOUR Ringo Starr Drain S.T.H.Press Kit FOLDER US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Pat Metheny Group, American Garage, Jazz LP Vinyl Record US $7.00 [0 bids]
Pat Metheny, John Scofield- I Can See Your House from Here CD 1994 Jazz Guitar US $4.68 Buy It Now 1 day
Imaginary Day by Pat Metheny (CD, Oct-1997, Warner Bros.) US $3.50 Buy It Now 1 day
PAT METHENY 3 SONG SAMPLER PROMO CD: OVER ON/DON'T KNOW WHY/SONG FOR: ONE QUIET US $4.99 [0 bids]
PAT METHENY GROUP Self Titled (Cassette) US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Pat Metheny Group "American Garage" US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Pat Metheny Group "First Circle" US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
PAT METHENY, GUITAR, JAZZ, orig LP "New Chautauqua", 1979, ECM 1-1131 US, NM US $7.50 [0 bids]
GOLD cd GUITAR FIRE! b.b. king LEE RITENOUR larry carlton PAT METHENY grp US $7.00 Buy It Now 1 day
GARY BURTON - "Ring" Eberhard Weber Pat Metheny '74 LP NM US $17.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Pat Metheny Still Life (Talking) LP Record Grade M- M- US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PAT METHENY GROUP - TRAVELS [PAT METHENY GROUP] [CD BOXSET] [2 - NEW CD BOXSET US $24.48 Buy It Now 1 day
PAT METHENY - WATERCOLORS - NEW CD US $11.86 Buy It Now 1 day
Kin -- [LP] by Pat Metheny Unity Group (Vinyl LP) US $33.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PAT METHENY GROUP - QUARTET, 1996 USA CD, 24k gold limited edition disc US $32.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Secret Story [Remaster] by Pat Metheny (CD, Sep-2007, 2 Discs, Nonesuch (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
PAT METHENY GROUP-S/T-JAPAN SHM-CD D50 US $19.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Music Of Pat Metheny & Lyle Ma - Curnow,Bob US $12.57 Buy It Now 1 day
We Live Here by Pat Metheny/Pat Metheny Group (CD, Jan-1995, Geffen) US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Watercolors - Pat Metheny New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $21.15 Buy It Now 1 day
Pat Metheny Group, Metheny, Pat, New US $17.43 Buy It Now 1 day
PAT METHENY- Selected Recordings 1975-84 (ECM CD) The Best of/Group US $8.27 Buy It Now 1 day
PAT METHENY - WATERCOLORS - WEST GERMANY ECM CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Pat Metheny ECM Special X Japan Promo White Label Vinyl LP in 1979 ECM US $69.99 Buy It Now 1 day
David Bowie/Pat Metheny Group(7" Vinyl)This Is Not America-EA19 US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy PAT METHENY music online Buy PAT METHENY & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PAT METHENY DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PAT METHENY First Circle (Pat Metheny Group) ratings distribution

PAT METHENY First Circle (Pat Metheny Group) reviews

Review by greenback
4 stars This Metheny's record is an excellent modern urban jazz record, often relaxing, with some Latin rhythm elements. It starts with "Forward March", a childish & dissonant orchestral arrangement, rather sounding charming. The accessible "Yolanda, you learn" has very Latin rhythms, as reveals for instance the typical chant of Pedro Aznar. The jaw-dropping "First Circle" track is a very charming, grand and graceful mix of delicate acoustic guitars and percussions, followed by the typical Aznar's voice synchronized to May's melodic keyboards: this track really sounds like many ones on the next albums: "Letter from home" and "Still life"; Lyle Mays' final piano part near the end is absolutely AWESOME, as always. "If I Could" is just a beautiful mellow track made of delicate cymbals & acoustic guitars and ethereal floating keyboards. Lyle Mays plays a sublime piano solo on the rhythmic "Tell It All", which contains some percussions sounding like cans. Lyle Mays' very subtle, ambient, urban and refined keyboards on "End of the Game" sound a bit like the ones on the "Falcon & the snowman" album; Metheny plays a trumpet-like electric guitar-synth?, like he used to do on the "Offramp" album. "Mas Alla" is a relaxing song with Pedro Aznar on lead vocals; Lyle Mays still creates here ethereal ambiences with his modern keyboards, supported by delicate cymbals and guitars arrangements. The last track "Praise" is slightly different: it contains ambient organ in the background, Pedro's excellent voice and some flute-like notes in the beginning: the track is quite rhythmic and accessible.

Rating: 4.5 stars

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#75816) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 21, 2006

Review by Chicapah
2 stars In the last year or so I've revived in my long existence on this earth the enjoyable, satisfying habit of perusing the used vinyl bins for gathering up my prog rations. That activity takes me back to the good ol' days when every music enthusiast would spend time every week roaming the aisles of the local record store, striking up conversations with complete strangers about some great band they've discovered and dealing with the heart-wrenching dilemma of choosing one album over another due to pesky monetary restrictions. More often than not I'd be pleased with the decision I made once I got the chosen LP home and onto my turntable but the occasional flip side would be facing the disappointment of realizing that I'd just spent my hard-earned cash on a platter that I'd play only once or twice before shelving it in the orange crate library forevermore. Unfortunately, the Pat Metheny Group's "First Circle" belongs in the latter category. It's quite forgettable.

I opted to give this disc a blind try because I've always considered Pat and his keyboard man Lyle Mays' engaging "As Falls Wichita So Falls Wichita Falls" album from 1981 to be an excellent jazz rock/fusion recording. I really don't know much about their sizeable catalogue of work but they have a respectable reputation. I've never heard anyone bad mouth them, in other words. At the very least I expected it to be worth my while and spare change but, after sitting through it a few times, I assure you I'll think twice about springing for another of their product again. (And to think that it came down to this or a pristine copy of Styx's questionable and much criticized "Kilroy Was Here" LP! Hmm. Maybe next trip.)

I knew I was in for a strenuous listen from the get-go. Parodies are supposed to be humorous glimpses of frivolity (as evidenced by the Beatles' entertaining "You Know My Name") but it's a dangerous move nonetheless because when satire fails it's an embarrassingly pathetic and demeaning pie in the face for those involved. Case in point: "Forward March," this album's dubious opener. Had they tacked this on to the end and trimmed it to a mere 30 seconds or so they might've gotten away with it but to place it in its entirety at the very beginning of the LP is the equivalent of leaving your Great Dane's huge, steaming pile of excrement reeking in the middle of the foyer. Perhaps Metheny was seeking revenge on a sadistic high school band teacher he'd had as a teen by having the members of his group play instruments they can't play such as trumpet, bass drum, glockenspiel and field drum on this cut but the result is so ugly and off-putting that for a moment I thought someone had punked me by switching discs. It may be the worst start to an album I've ever heard and that's nothing to be proud of, believe me.

The upbeat tempo of "Yolanda, You Learn" helps to cleanse the palate of the vile aftertaste left by the previous number and the track's crisp production is a welcome upgrade but this song reveals a major flaw that plagues this project throughout: Predictability. This is dentist office variety lite jazz that's impossible to pay any attention to. It passes through the consciousness like a feathery cloud and is gone. "The First Circle" has a Weather Report- styled introduction that's promising and, in comparison with the rest of the schlock here, it represents the acme of the proceedings. Just don't expect any fun surprises along the way. Percussionist Pedro Aznar's wordless vocal causes the tune to veer dangerously close to contemporary AOR territory for a brief spell but Lyle's delicate piano intervenes in the nick of time to rescue it from that dull fate. Mays' densely-layered synthesizers and drummer Paul Wertico's reverb-heavy rumblings are about as close to prog-sounding as this record gets, though.

"If I Could" sports a deep, gorgeous aura but Pat's gentle acoustic guitar musings are entirely too sleepy time time for this rocker to stay awake for. This is aural Ambien, folks. In fact, now I need a nap. Back in a jiffy. Zzzzzz.

I'm back. "Tell It All" begins with a sort of world beat groove courtesy of some lively Agogo bells but it soon turns into a boring resume of Metheny's jazzy guitar runs fed through a far- out, groovy effect pedal. Don't get me wrong, it's not awful, especially Lyle's piano solo, but this instrumental doesn't take you anywhere you haven't been a thousand times before. Basically, it's mall mezzanine muzak. "End of the Game" is next and it's got a very seductive, early Gino Vanelli vibe going for it. (Don't snicker. GV was one of the first to rely strictly on modern keyboard technology to supply all but the drums in his backup band in the 70s and they kicked serious tail at times.) The shame is that they could've gone in a bold, adventurous direction with this composition but it lacks even a molecule of imagination and/or balls. Mays' synth ride is cool but so is Blue Bell ice cream and it lingers in one's memory about as long. After a quieter recess the piece goes south and turns into a sappy Sergio Mendez & Brazil '66-ish yawner. Got coffee?

Speaking of coma-inducing, "Mas Alla (Beyond)" barely has a pulse. It borders on being romantic Peruvian restaurant trio fare and I'm not exaggerating. Pedro's feminine falsetto is fine and dandy but it has no business hanging around a progressive rock establishment. Enough, already! "Praise" sounds like a backing track for an Olivia Newton- John demo. This fluffy ditty displays, for whatever reason, the complete dearth of quality material that the band had at its disposal at this juncture of their career. No inspiration, no substance to be found. This isn't even jazz! More like cotton candy pop that would be better suited for elevator cars. It embodies the word vapid.

You know you've wasted $5.98 of your wages when the photograph on the back of the album's sleeve is more intriguing than the sum total of the music inside. Sure, the talent and acumen of Pat and his supporting cast is obvious and the record's undeniable fidelity brings out the best in your stereo system but this is a progressive music site so "First Circle" must be judged accordingly. This might be appropriate as unobtrusive background music when hosting a dinner party but that's about the only function I can fathom it suitable for. I have no regrets, though. You can't win 'em all. Sometimes taking a risk pays off and sometimes it don't but therein lies the thrill of the hunt. 2 stars. Barely.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#297321) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 03, 2010

Post a review of PAT METHENY "First Circle (Pat Metheny Group)"