FIRST CIRCLE (PAT METHENY GROUP)

Pat Metheny

Pat Metheny First Circle (Pat Metheny Group) album cover

Buy PAT METHENY Music
Studio Album, released in 1984

1. Forward March (2:49)
2. Yolanda, You Learn (4:49)
3. The First Circle (9:16)
4. If I Could (7:01)
5. Tell It All (7:59)
6. End of the Game (8:02)
7. Más Allá (Beyond) (5:40)
8. Praise (4:18)

Search PAT METHENY First Circle (Pat Metheny Group) lyrics

Search PAT METHENY First Circle (Pat Metheny Group) tabs

- Pat Metheny / synthesizer, guitar (acoustic), guitar, guitar (electric), sitar, guitar (12 string), synclavier, slide guitar, guitar (classical), sitar (electric)
- Steve Rodby / bass, bass (electric), drums (bass), guitar (bass)
- Paul Wertico cymbals, drums, drums (snare)
- Pedro Aznar / guitar (acoustic), guitar, glockenspiel, vocals, voices, guitar (12 string), whistle (instrument), bells, lyricist, guitar (classical)
- Lyle Mays / organ, synthesizer, piano, trumpet, keyboards, bells, synclavier, oberheim, agogo bell

CD ECM 823342-2
LP ECM 25008

Thanks to PROGMAN for the addition

PAT METHENY MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PAT METHENY First Circle (Pat Metheny Group) Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Unity BandUnity Band
Nonesuch 2012
Still Life (Talking)Still Life (Talking)
Nonesuch 2011
WatercolorsWatercolors
Polygram Records 2000
Bright Size LifeBright Size Life
Ecm Records 2000
First Circle by Pat Metheny/Pat Metheny Group (CD, Nov-1984, ECM) MINT USD $3.99 [0 bids]
USD $7.99 Buy It Now
PAT METHENY GROUP - First Circle (1984/ CD) 8 Tracks Great Condition USD $13.49 Buy It Now 22h 14m
PAT METHENY GROUP - FIRST CIRCLE LP ON ECM USD $12.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Pat Metheny Group First Circle LP 1984 Near Mint Copy USD $9.37 Buy It Now 2 days
First Circle [Slipcase] by Pat Metheny/Pat Metheny Group (CD, Oct-2008, ECM) USD $12.95 Buy It Now 2 days
PAT METHENY GROUP First Circle LP USD $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
First Circle by Pat Metheny/Pat Metheny Group (CD, Nov-1984, ECM) USD $18.99 Buy It Now 4 days
FIRST CIRCLE-PAT METHENY GROUP-LP USD $0.99 Buy It Now 4 days
PAT METHENY GROUP-FIRST CIRCLE ECM 25008-1 E VG+/VG+ LP USD $11.24 Buy It Now 7 days
2 LP Lot Pat Metheny Group "First Circle" & John Klemmer Mosaic" USD $13.99 Buy It Now 7 days
PAT METHENY GROUP-FIRST CIRCLE-JAPAN CD Ltd/Ed B63 USD $12.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Pat Metheny Group "First Circle" USD $8.99 Buy It Now 8 days
First Circle by Pat Metheny/Pat Metheny Group (CD, Nov-1984, ECM) USD $5.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Pat Metheny Group First Circle Cassette New Sealed jazz bop USD $7.95 Buy It Now 9 days
Pat Metheny Group First Circle Cassette Brand New Sealed USD $7.95 Buy It Now 9 days
Pat Metheny Group First Circle Vinyl LP Excellent Condition USD $10.99 Buy It Now 9 days
First Circle by Pat Metheny/Pat Metheny Group (CD, Nov-1984, ECM) USD $14.95 Buy It Now 10 days
Pat Metheny Group First Circle * Excellent Condition 1984 W. Germany Pressing USD $9.99 Buy It Now 10 days
PAT METHENY GROUP: First Circle LP ECM RECORDS 250081E US 1984 NM+ USD $9.89 Buy It Now 10 days
Pat Metheny Group "First Circle" 1984 ECM LP USD $4.99 Buy It Now 11 days
PAT METHENY GROUP "FIRST CIRCLE" ECM 1984 NEAR MINT WITH INSERT VINYL LP RECORD USD $7.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Pat Metheny Group First Circle Japan CD USD $29.99 Buy It Now 12 days
JAZZ PAT METHENY GROUP FIRST CIRCLE LP RECORD VG++ USD $11.20 Buy It Now 12 days
CD - Pat Metheny Group - First Circle - ECM - 50˘ S/H For Each Additional CD USD $6.99 Buy It Now 12 days
First Circle [Slipcase] by Pat Metheny/Pat Metheny Group (CD, Oct-2008, ECM) USD $6.04 Buy It Now 13 days
Pat Metheny Group - First circle VINYL LP USD $15.62 Buy It Now 15 days
PAT METHENY GROUP - FIRST CIRCLE USD $7.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Pat Metheny Group ?- First Circle USD $5.00 Buy It Now 15 days
PAT METHENY GROUP First Circle LP German 1st 1984 ECM 1278 + Insert VG/EX+ USD $19.99 Buy It Now 16 days
Pat Metheny Group First Circle LP ECM 1-25008 NM/EX USD $8.99 Buy It Now 16 days
Pat Metheny Group: First Circle CD Album 1994 USD $9.37 Buy It Now 18 days
Pat Metheny Group - First Circle (2008) - New - Compact Disc USD $8.11 Buy It Now 18 days
pat metheny group lp first circle ecm 25008-1 e vg+/vg++ USD $5.99 Buy It Now 19 days
Pat Metheny Group First Circle German 1984 LP ECM Recs USD $15.62 Buy It Now 19 days
Pat Metheny Group FIRST CIRCLE CD ~ Exc. USED Cond. YOLANDA, YOU LEARN +++ USD $8.80 Buy It Now 19 days
PAT METHENY GROUP First Circle JAPAN MINI LP CD New USD $59.99 Buy It Now 22 days
Pat Metheny Group First circle 1984 ECM made in the USA USD $8.97 Buy It Now 22 days
PAT METHENY GROUP - FIRST CIRCLE LP USD $11.00 Buy It Now 23 days
LP PAT METHENY GROUP - FIRST CIRCLE (ECM 1278) 1984 GERMAN ISSUE WITH INSERT USD $15.62 Buy It Now 26 days
First Circle ,Pat Metheny Group-1984 Made in West Germany byPolyGram USD $3.01 Buy It Now 26 days
First Circle by Pat Metheny Group Vinyl 1984 USD $4.99 Buy It Now 26 days
PAT METHENY GROUP~"First Circle"~German LP 1984~ECM 1278~1st Press~Print~JAZZ USD $23.44 Buy It Now 27 days
Pat Metheny Group - First Circle (1984) West Germany CD USD $12.43 Buy It Now 27 days
PAT METHENY GROUP first circle Lp RECORD JAZZ USD $8.75 Buy It Now 27 days
PAT METHENY GROUP - FIRST CIRCLE - CD, 1984 - ORIGINAL ECM GERMAN PRESS USD $19.66 Buy It Now 28 days
PAT METHENY GROUP First Circle 1984 VG++ USD $6.99 Buy It Now 28 days
1984 Pat Metheny Group First Circle LP ECM 1-25008 NM- Vinyl Play Tested Insert USD $10.00 Buy It Now 28 days
* Original Pressing* 1984 Pat Metheny Group "First Circle" Vinyl LP ECM *RaRe* USD $12.99 Buy It Now 29 days
Pat Metheny Group 'First Circle' LP Vinyl Great Shape! USD $7.99 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy PAT METHENY music online Buy PAT METHENY & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PAT METHENY DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PAT METHENY First Circle (Pat Metheny Group) ratings distribution

PAT METHENY First Circle (Pat Metheny Group) reviews

Review by greenback
4 stars This Metheny's record is an excellent modern urban jazz record, often relaxing, with some Latin rhythm elements. It starts with "Forward March", a childish & dissonant orchestral arrangement, rather sounding charming. The accessible "Yolanda, you learn" has very Latin rhythms, as reveals for instance the typical chant of Pedro Aznar. The jaw-dropping "First Circle" track is a very charming, grand and graceful mix of delicate acoustic guitars and percussions, followed by the typical Aznar's voice synchronized to May's melodic keyboards: this track really sounds like many ones on the next albums: "Letter from home" and "Still life"; Lyle Mays' final piano part near the end is absolutely AWESOME, as always. "If I Could" is just a beautiful mellow track made of delicate cymbals & acoustic guitars and ethereal floating keyboards. Lyle Mays plays a sublime piano solo on the rhythmic "Tell It All", which contains some percussions sounding like cans. Lyle Mays' very subtle, ambient, urban and refined keyboards on "End of the Game" sound a bit like the ones on the "Falcon & the snowman" album; Metheny plays a trumpet-like electric guitar-synth?, like he used to do on the "Offramp" album. "Mas Alla" is a relaxing song with Pedro Aznar on lead vocals; Lyle Mays still creates here ethereal ambiences with his modern keyboards, supported by delicate cymbals and guitars arrangements. The last track "Praise" is slightly different: it contains ambient organ in the background, Pedro's excellent voice and some flute-like notes in the beginning: the track is quite rhythmic and accessible.

Rating: 4.5 stars

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#75816) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 21, 2006

Review by Chicapah
2 stars In the last year or so I've revived in my long existence on this earth the enjoyable, satisfying habit of perusing the used vinyl bins for gathering up my prog rations. That activity takes me back to the good ol' days when every music enthusiast would spend time every week roaming the aisles of the local record store, striking up conversations with complete strangers about some great band they've discovered and dealing with the heart-wrenching dilemma of choosing one album over another due to pesky monetary restrictions. More often than not I'd be pleased with the decision I made once I got the chosen LP home and onto my turntable but the occasional flip side would be facing the disappointment of realizing that I'd just spent my hard-earned cash on a platter that I'd play only once or twice before shelving it in the orange crate library forevermore. Unfortunately, the Pat Metheny Group's "First Circle" belongs in the latter category. It's quite forgettable.

I opted to give this disc a blind try because I've always considered Pat and his keyboard man Lyle Mays' engaging "As Falls Wichita So Falls Wichita Falls" album from 1981 to be an excellent jazz rock/fusion recording. I really don't know much about their sizeable catalogue of work but they have a respectable reputation. I've never heard anyone bad mouth them, in other words. At the very least I expected it to be worth my while and spare change but, after sitting through it a few times, I assure you I'll think twice about springing for another of their product again. (And to think that it came down to this or a pristine copy of Styx's questionable and much criticized "Kilroy Was Here" LP! Hmm. Maybe next trip.)

I knew I was in for a strenuous listen from the get-go. Parodies are supposed to be humorous glimpses of frivolity (as evidenced by the Beatles' entertaining "You Know My Name") but it's a dangerous move nonetheless because when satire fails it's an embarrassingly pathetic and demeaning pie in the face for those involved. Case in point: "Forward March," this album's dubious opener. Had they tacked this on to the end and trimmed it to a mere 30 seconds or so they might've gotten away with it but to place it in its entirety at the very beginning of the LP is the equivalent of leaving your Great Dane's huge, steaming pile of excrement reeking in the middle of the foyer. Perhaps Metheny was seeking revenge on a sadistic high school band teacher he'd had as a teen by having the members of his group play instruments they can't play such as trumpet, bass drum, glockenspiel and field drum on this cut but the result is so ugly and off-putting that for a moment I thought someone had punked me by switching discs. It may be the worst start to an album I've ever heard and that's nothing to be proud of, believe me.

The upbeat tempo of "Yolanda, You Learn" helps to cleanse the palate of the vile aftertaste left by the previous number and the track's crisp production is a welcome upgrade but this song reveals a major flaw that plagues this project throughout: Predictability. This is dentist office variety lite jazz that's impossible to pay any attention to. It passes through the consciousness like a feathery cloud and is gone. "The First Circle" has a Weather Report- styled introduction that's promising and, in comparison with the rest of the schlock here, it represents the acme of the proceedings. Just don't expect any fun surprises along the way. Percussionist Pedro Aznar's wordless vocal causes the tune to veer dangerously close to contemporary AOR territory for a brief spell but Lyle's delicate piano intervenes in the nick of time to rescue it from that dull fate. Mays' densely-layered synthesizers and drummer Paul Wertico's reverb-heavy rumblings are about as close to prog-sounding as this record gets, though.

"If I Could" sports a deep, gorgeous aura but Pat's gentle acoustic guitar musings are entirely too sleepy time time for this rocker to stay awake for. This is aural Ambien, folks. In fact, now I need a nap. Back in a jiffy. Zzzzzz.

I'm back. "Tell It All" begins with a sort of world beat groove courtesy of some lively Agogo bells but it soon turns into a boring resume of Metheny's jazzy guitar runs fed through a far- out, groovy effect pedal. Don't get me wrong, it's not awful, especially Lyle's piano solo, but this instrumental doesn't take you anywhere you haven't been a thousand times before. Basically, it's mall mezzanine muzak. "End of the Game" is next and it's got a very seductive, early Gino Vanelli vibe going for it. (Don't snicker. GV was one of the first to rely strictly on modern keyboard technology to supply all but the drums in his backup band in the 70s and they kicked serious tail at times.) The shame is that they could've gone in a bold, adventurous direction with this composition but it lacks even a molecule of imagination and/or balls. Mays' synth ride is cool but so is Blue Bell ice cream and it lingers in one's memory about as long. After a quieter recess the piece goes south and turns into a sappy Sergio Mendez & Brazil '66-ish yawner. Got coffee?

Speaking of coma-inducing, "Mas Alla (Beyond)" barely has a pulse. It borders on being romantic Peruvian restaurant trio fare and I'm not exaggerating. Pedro's feminine falsetto is fine and dandy but it has no business hanging around a progressive rock establishment. Enough, already! "Praise" sounds like a backing track for an Olivia Newton- John demo. This fluffy ditty displays, for whatever reason, the complete dearth of quality material that the band had at its disposal at this juncture of their career. No inspiration, no substance to be found. This isn't even jazz! More like cotton candy pop that would be better suited for elevator cars. It embodies the word vapid.

You know you've wasted $5.98 of your wages when the photograph on the back of the album's sleeve is more intriguing than the sum total of the music inside. Sure, the talent and acumen of Pat and his supporting cast is obvious and the record's undeniable fidelity brings out the best in your stereo system but this is a progressive music site so "First Circle" must be judged accordingly. This might be appropriate as unobtrusive background music when hosting a dinner party but that's about the only function I can fathom it suitable for. I have no regrets, though. You can't win 'em all. Sometimes taking a risk pays off and sometimes it don't but therein lies the thrill of the hunt. 2 stars. Barely.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#297321) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 03, 2010

Post a review of PAT METHENY "First Circle (Pat Metheny Group)"