IO COME IO

- Enzo Vita / guitars
- Pino Ballarini / vocals, flute
- Stefano Urso / bass
- Gino Campoli / drums

CD BMG "Speciale Rock Progressive", paper sleeve limited edition (2004)

and to PAULINDIGO for the last updates

IL ROVESCIO DELLA MEDAGLIA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Cella Contaminazione, 1973

Vinyl$28.87
ContaminationContamination
Sony Uk/Zoom 2011
Audio CD$169.35 (used)

More places to buy IL ROVESCIO DELLA MEDAGLIA music online Buy IL ROVESCIO DELLA MEDAGLIA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IL ROVESCIO DELLA MEDAGLIA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IL ROVESCIO DELLA MEDAGLIA Io come Io ratings distribution

IL ROVESCIO DELLA MEDAGLIA Io come Io reviews

Review by clarke2001
1 stars My first huge disappointment with Italian Symphonic progressive rock.

And this is not some of the seminal bands from the seventies doing bad material in the late 80's. No. This is the band in their prime. Even if they had the best musical ideas/melodies in the world, they wouldn't reach me, because of representation, arrangements and production: they're all horrible.

But the reality is cruel: good ideas are few, and they're not good ideas that will manifest themselves and provide a pleasant feeling to a listener (me), they're there just theoretically: I squeezed them by analysis, not by actual listening of the album.

Sounds bad, doesn't it? Well, it is.

There ARE some catchy melodies here and there: they are few and far between, and they're often repeating themselves in some uninspiring and slightly derivative way, they might be even characterised as slightly symphonic (not classical). Major and minor scales are more present then blues scales. But nothing special. A voice is an acquired taste, personally I think it's not bad but the delivery is not the happiest one. There are also a few nice trick with delay on voice.

But unfortunately, there are much more cons. The sound is horrible: fuzzing guitars playing the melody, bass (the same fuzzing tone one octave deeper) repeating the same damn melody deeper (sometimes in octaves + thirds), on the bottom of all that uninspired drumming. The buss and drums are not following each other at all, but not because this is some free-form music. The songs are not just hollow, they're empty. At the moments this band sounds like a bunch of kids playing punk for the first time on stage. If you were ever playing in the band, you probably experienced one of those moments when everybody's tired of playing, and one is playing an instrument without heart or inspiration, just to make some noise, making an amateurish at best, cacophonic directionless at worse, "Io Come Io" at worst case.

Please, do the human kind a favour and avoid this album that shouldn't have been ever released. Maybe in some other arrangement, on the some other, less bad hair day. Or probably, in some parallel universe. Poor universe.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#153198) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 30, 2007

Review by Tarcisio Moura
2 stars Unfortunatly I have to agree too much to Clarke2001īs review. I know not all italian groups in the 70īs were great, but thatīs in theory. Because the high quality of that period is evident. Everything I hear from Italy at that period was from very good to brilliant, even if you donīt like the style you had to agree theyīre good somehow. So I was taken aback by the very bad sound of this album. Production, arrangements, playing and songwriting all seems to conspire against the final work. The bass sound is specially annoying, terrible.

There are some hints of good ideas here and there, and the general notion that the musicians might be good at their instruments. The main problem is that of the production: it is so bad is hard to tell whatīs realy wrong here. I heard this CD as many times I could stand, just to believe it was even released with such a poor sound. Hard to tell if they would come up with something really interesting had they got a better studio or producer or both, but certainly it could not be worse.

Iīll give it two stars because I still want to belive that the production ruined it all. Well, they DID release a couple of follow ups so they might have their qualities after all. whcih, by the way is not shown here at all. My first major italian prog rock disappointment, specially considering it was released in progīs prime time. Avoid this one.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#169040) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars The second album from this Italian band (not playing Italian music), is not very different from their debut one). It holds less than twenty-nine minutes of music which even in terms of an Italian band of the early seventies is pretty short.

Production is better (but this was easy) and compositions are less improvised. Still, the music is in the pure heavy-rock vein with little fiorittura. There are hardly one symphonic track to be heard on Io Come Io.

So, if you are keen on this type of music (basic heavy prog music), there is nothing wrong with this album. I prefer it when compared to their debut one.

The music is mostly instrumental and I would have wished Fenomeno to be more melodic. The structure is more complex than usual and the combination between harder parts and more smoother ones offers a good result and shows the potential of the band.

There are no masterpiece stuff of course available on this album, but a track as Non Lo is somewhat of a different style: very quiet instrumental part to start with (flute), peaceful vocals as well. This song shows an evolution in their style, which will be more marked during their next release Contaminazione. It is the highlight here.

The closing number is more chaotic and more difficult to access. In this type of songs, the noticeable influence of KC can't be ignored.

In all, this album is not too bad. I would even increase the rating from average (five out of ten) to three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#183641) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 26, 2008

Review by DamoXt7942
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Moderator / Psych Team
3 stars RDM's heavy story would go on...

First I was surprised at the sleeve. It is a Japanese paper-sleeved album WITH A GOLD (No, maybe Copper! :P) MEDAL...and this work is as heavy as, and more avantgarde (rather than progressive) than the previous one. The sound in itself gets clearer, but their stickiness and sliminess are previously as it was. However, I think sadly the product is more refined and polished. Could you understand me? That is, Il Rovescio Della Medaglia's identity or personality is not beauty nor cleanliness I consider. They should be powerful and metallically heavy, not be refined or polished. Getting to be more avantgarde is great for them, but...what a pity.

As above mentioned, I can't find anything amazing. The album itself is not so bad and I like this, but for Italian prog fans, why can I overevaluate this? If possible, as a copper medal in the sleeve (!) , they could be heavier and more progressive, I'm always disappointed with listening to this work.

Send comments to DamoXt7942 (BETA) | Report this review (#197612) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 06, 2009

1 stars Time sometimes serves as an argument for excuse or even a convenient field to build a myth. Many people consider "Io Come Io" as a classic example of great Italian 70's prog rock. The main reason of my disagreement is basically the fact that this album does not remind the sound of Italian pro ... (read more)

Report this review (#299591) | Posted by DeKay | Saturday, September 18, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Inspired by Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel this album (eng title sound as 'I as I'... terrible in all languages) is the 2nd album by RDM. And, in my humble opinion, 'Io Come Io' is one of the first Heavy Metal album of history. If the words are inspired by Hegel, the music is clearly a mix be ... (read more)

Report this review (#236549) | Posted by 1967/ 1976 | Wednesday, September 02, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I feared to listen to this album. Now i must admit that it sounds like a sophisticated italian art rock band. The compositions are well conceived and have different textures and dynamics. There is definetely some free rock tendencies in the rythm section, this is probably due to the use of effec ... (read more)

Report this review (#168595) | Posted by pwawrzyn | Thursday, April 24, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars In the year of 1972 the Italian Progressive rock was developing almost all the slopes that existed in this context, as it shows are the works of Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, Premiata Forneria Marconi and Le Orme, among other very many groups, but remarcable it is the quick maturity of many of the ... (read more)

Report this review (#166905) | Posted by Alberto Muņoz | Monday, April 14, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Sometimes I've wondered when and how a real distinction between Hard Rock and Heavy Metal could be made. I still don't know when, but I'm getting more and more convinced that the real distinction between these two genres lies in the fact that Heavy Metal tends to leave the bluesy influence behin ... (read more)

Report this review (#147690) | Posted by paolo.beenees | Saturday, October 27, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IL ROVESCIO DELLA MEDAGLIA "Io come Io "