ABRAXAS ... CYKL OBRACA SIĘ. NARODZINY, DZIECIŃSTWO PEłNE DUSZY, U?MIECHÓW NIEWINNYCH I ZDRADY

Abraxas

Abraxas Abraxas ... Cykl Obraca Się. Narodziny, Dzieciństwo Pełne Duszy, U?miechów Niewinnych I Zdrady album cover

Buy ABRAXAS Music

8. De Profundis (4:56)
9. Tabula Rasa (11:15)

Bonus tracks on KUŹNIA remaster (2000):
10. La Strada (3:39)
11. Gdy Wydaje Niemożliwym Się Pamiętać (7:19)

Search ABRAXAS Abraxas ... Cykl Obraca Się. Narodziny, Dzieciństwo Pełne Duszy, U?miechów Niewinnych I Zdrady lyrics

Search ABRAXAS Abraxas ... Cykl Obraca Się. Narodziny, Dzieciństwo Pełne Duszy, U?miechów Niewinnych I Zdrady tabs

- Marcin Mak / drums
- Rafał Ratajczak / bass
- Szymon Brzeziński / guitars
- Marcin Błaszczyk / keyboards, flute
- Adam Łassa / vocals

CD ARS MUNDI AMS 007 - R (1996)
CD (RM) KUŹNIA JK2000CD02 (2000)

and to The Bearded Bard for the last updates

ABRAXAS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Inferno Abraxas ... Cykl Obraca Się. Narodziny, Dzieciństwo Pełne Duszy, U?miechów Niewinnych I Zdrady, 1996

Buy ABRAXAS Abraxas ... Cykl Obraca Się. Narodziny, Dzieciństwo Pełne Duszy, U?miechów Niewinnych I Zdrady Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Tomorrow's WorldTomorrow's World
Relapse 2010
9999
Audio CD$33.40 (used)
AbraxasAbraxas

More places to buy ABRAXAS music online Buy ABRAXAS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ABRAXAS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ABRAXAS Abraxas ... Cykl Obraca Się. Narodziny, Dzieciństwo Pełne Duszy, U?miechów Niewinnych I Zdrady ratings distribution

ABRAXAS Abraxas ... Cykl Obraca Się. Narodziny, Dzieciństwo Pełne Duszy, U?miechów Niewinnych I Zdrady reviews

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars As if anyone needed more proof of the booming Prog scene in Poland with such inspired groups like Collage/Satellite, Quidam, Albion, Lizard , Ankh and Turquoise to name a few. This central European country has been dishing out some luscious debut discs in the mid- 90s none more compelling than this stunner! Abraxas obviously grew up on a steady diet of Marillion for lunch and Genesis for dinner, led by a manic lead vocalist with a tinge of melodramatic hysteria and a kick-ass axeman who is unafraid to let his considerable talents shine as often as possible. Secured by a slick sound production, they positively romp through some spellbinding material from the opening epic "Tarot" all the way to the masterful classic "Tabula Rasa" with its fabulous extended synth workout as well as some tasty all around contributions from each and all. An hour of really good neo-prog at its finest. 4 cards

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#479) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 09, 2005

Review by progaardvark
4 stars Abraxas' debut album is the only album I have from this group, so I cannot speak about where their sound went after this album. For me, this is Poland's answer to Fish-era Marillion. Not knowing any Polish myself, I can't tell what the really long title means and what most of the lyrics mean, but the Polish lyrics didn't distract me at all from having a great time listening to this charming disc. It's clearly in the neo prog/symphonic prog vein and the influences chiefly seem to be Marillion and Genesis. The guitar work is wonderful, the keyboard work is exceptional, as is the bass and percussion. Though not being able to understand the Polish vocals of Adam Łassa, I found his voice to be powerful, dramatic, and very fitting for this style of music (not a Fish clone either!). Another viewer thought he sounded like Peter Hammill and I'm inclined to agree, though I still think his voice is quite unique.

Highly recommended to neo prog fans. This is a must have if this is your genre of taste. For those of you not interested in bands inspired by Marillion and Genesis, you might want to avoid. Otherwise, this is a four-star excellent addition to a prog rock collection.

Send comments to progaardvark (BETA) | Report this review (#149082) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 05, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars I discovered this Polish band almost four years ago, and I was quite impressed with their second album. But this one does not stand shy.

Their music is rather complex, hard at times. It was also a surprise for me to find out that Polish lyrics could perfectly fill their role with rock music (even if I can't grab any words). Their songs are melodic, with lots of theme changes and I have to confess that I like very much the voice and personal style of their lead vocalist Adam Łassa.

He is emotional, has power but at the same time reaches very high notes. Really pleasant. When you combine his talent with some vigorous drumming, strong backing keys as well as somptuous guitar work, you'll get a fantastic song as "Tarot". One of my fave from the album. But there are plenty very good ones.

"Dorian Gray" is almost symphonic and so poignant. Of course the character of Dorian Gray is such a great source of inspiration! It is a solid rocking piece. At times, Adam sounds like Lene Lovitch. The dark atmosphere of the novel can be felt in this song which on the edge of metal. But true prog metal (like another great Polish band : "Riverside").

The hard / metal style is also featured during the excellent "Kameleon". The instrumental middle-part features some great and difficult drumming. Bass is very complex as well and it is one of the many strong point of this band who shows a very strong musical foundation.

The musical style of "Abraxas" ranges from symphonic to prog metal. The introduction of "Alhambra" is almost classical and very pleasant. A great introduction to this beautiful and powerful song. Extremely diversified, it even reminds me of "Magazine" some times. Another highlight.

This album has little weaknesses and flows very easily from one track to the following one. Melody is often present in each song even if the handicap of the language prevents me to understand one single line of the lyrics. One can feel the passion from Adam and as far as I am concerned, I can cope with this. In this respect, "Ajudah" is very much convincing.

But even if their lead singer seems to raise the level of their music, "Abraxas" is not a one man band. The music you can discover in this very good album is much more than just a neo-prog album. Lots of genres are mixed as I have already said; and it makes this album even more appealing. When you'll have heard the sumptuous guitar solo during "De Profundis" you'll just be conquered.

Keys will be the main guest for "Tabula Rasa". It starts as a "Marillion" song which turns into an ocean of synthesizers. The instrumental portion is very powerful. It reminds me "Cinema Show" not because it is similar in sound; but just because it is almost as impressive as this wonderful song. So sweet acoustic guitar and flute combined with so theatrical vocals are just great. The guitar solo is again so sweet. This song is another highlight. A great song, my friends.

Two good bonus tracks (La Stradda which is a straight forward Marillion song and a more complex and refined "Gdy Wydaje...") to close this very good album which deserves four stars, and your attention.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#156583) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 25, 2007

3 stars The vocalist is really the focal point of this band with his aggressive and theatrical vocals. He does sing in Polish, in fact the liner notes and lyrics are also all written in Polish.

"Before" is a good uptempo intro track to get us warmed up. "Tarot" opens with almost 3 minutes of sounds that come and go along with spoken words. No real melody until we get an Eastern flavoured soundscape. It changes 3 1/2 minutes in to a guitar/drum melody. Organ after 5 minutes. Spanish sounding guitar 7 minutes in. "Dorian Gray" is pastoral early but becomes surprisingly heavy after a minute. Theatrical vocals come in. A calm 3 minutes in as we get waves of synths. It kicks back in. "Kameleon" opens with synths, theatrical vocals, drums then a full sound. Nice bass 2 1/2 minutes in. Some good prominant guitar after 4 minutes.

"Alhambra" opens with acoustic guitar as synths join in. It kicks in before 1 1/2 minutes with vocals. Pleasant guitar 2 minutes in with pounding drums. Keys after 4 minutes as vocals get serious. Soaring guitar after 6 minutes and the bass stands out. "Inferno" has a good solid sound with crisp drumming. Some excellent guitar and drumming 4 minutes in. "Ajudah" has lots of atmosphere and organ to begin with. Over the top vocals after a minute. Yikes. Vocals do get better. Acoustic guitar after 3 minutes. More theatrical vocals and the guitar 7 1/2 minutes in is great. "De Profundis" opens with acoustic guitar and reserved vocals. Violin comes in as vocals get more passionate and the sound gets fuller. "Tabula Rasa" is the longest track at over 11 minutes, and for me the best one. Drums and flute stand out early as vocals and a fuller sound follows. Synths take the lead. Theatrical vocals after 3 1/2 minutes. A calm 5 minutes in with some beautiful guitar a minute after that. Flute and vocals come back 8 minutes in. Guitar ends it.

Good record, but for me barely 3 stars.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#175436) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 26, 2008

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
5 stars When listening to the world ''Abraxas'' it is reasonable for your mind to think about Carlos Santanas' eponymous legendary album.But let me tell you that this is the same name of a band from Poland almost as legendary as Carlos Santana IMHO for progressive rock.ABRAXAS were founded at late 80's in a very difficult time for a progressive rock band to survive and after several changes in the line-up and some really bad moments (original guitarist Radek Kaminski was killed in a car accident) ) they managed to stabilize a basic line-up in 1994.Heavily influenced by 70's progressive rock giants such as GENESIS and YES,as well as MARILLION,the band released their debut in 1996 simply called ''Abraxas'' but the cover contained also the enigmatic phrase ''Cykl obraca sie.Narodziny,dziecinstwo pelne duszy, usmiechow niewinnych i zdrady'' which means ''Eveything comes full circle.Birth,childhood full of souls,innocent smiles and treachery.''...

The excellent music of the album is centered around the amazing performance of the talented vocalist and one of ABRAXAS' founders Adam Lassa.The tracks go undoubtfully the neo prog/art rock way but this album defines exactly how neo prog should be played.The music alternates between complex keyboard and guitar themes,melodic solos,an overall dramatic/emotional atmosphere and there is also much space for Lassa to sing in his own style.Lassa can be dramatic,melodic,angry,operatic,emotional at the same time,he is very much influenced by Fish,Peter Hammill or even some french prog rock bands singers like Francis Decamps of ANGE or Dominique LeGuennec of MONA LISA and in general he expresses the lyrics in an awesome way,a really talented frontman and of course the main figure of the band.Bassist Rafal Ratajczak completes his role perfectly sometimes with aggresive heavy bass playing and some others just fullfilling the sound.Marcin Mak is a great drummer with complex and rhythmic drum playing alternating all the time.Szymon Brzezinski is another great musician with great guitar solos,dramatic heavy passages and nice acoustic guitar work.Last but not least comes the keyboardist Marcin Blaszczik who handles also the beautiful flutes we listen throughout the album.He is obviously influenced by Mark Kelly and fills the sound of the band with some excellent solos and atmospheric grandiose passages.

The production of the album is simply fantastic.All the instruments and the voice are mixed in the same range resulting a great effort.There isn't a weak track in the album,we have to deal with rich compositions here,which have to offer dramatic and thrilling emotions to the listener.

This isn't just a very good album,this is a masterpiece of progressive rock from the finest neo prog scene of the world,Poland,which MUST stand next to the greatest albums of YES,GENESIS,KING CRIMSON,VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR and RUSH in your collection.A must for everyone who considres himself a prog rock lover...5 full stars for this polish legend!

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#189419) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 15, 2008

Review by progrules
4 stars I just stated in my previous review that Prophecies is in fact not even the best output by Abraxas even though it's a great album. That honour is for this debut by the band from 1996, the one with the unpronounceable (for non-Polish people) title I usually refer to as Cykl. This one is often regarded as one of the standout neo progressive albums and I can only agree with this.

The album kicks off with a nice guitar dominated short track to warm things up apparently. Next is one of the longer songs, Tarot, the first with vocals which are sung in Polish so I don't have the slightest idea what it's about. The vocals are good, sometimes theatrical sometimes drenched with emotions. Tarot is more a vocal than an instrumental track which is a pity for an instrumental devotee like me, still a good song though. Dorian Gray shows the rough side of Abraxas that is a versatile band where style is concerned. This one goes towards heavy prog or even prog metal. Kameleon is one of the more average songs, good but actually drowning in this pool of great music, it simply doesn't stand out. Expressive vocals once again. Alhambra sets in with beautiful flute, after one and a half minute moving in a typical "Shadowland-like" rhythm (I was actually expecting Clive Nolan to start singing but no it was mr. Lassa anyway). Interesting song where the compositional aspect is concerned. Notice the piano part halfway the song for instance. Next song, Inferno, is again a very vocal track though there is also room for the guitar here. Ajudah appeals a bit less to me mainly caused by unpleasant vocals. In De Profundis these get better again albeit that also here vocals are very dominant. Highlight to me is Tabula Rasa, you could say the Pokuszenie of this album. The longest song and also the most interesting of this album. And most of all the moments of sheer beauty, in the end the feature most significant to me of Abraxas.

It strikes me that this album is actually hardly true neo. Neo progressive prog rock is more straightforward with at least 80-90% emphasis on catchy melodies. These melodies are truly present on this album, no doubt, but there are also quite a lot general progressive and even original elements present in the music of Abraxas. I also noticed this on Prophecies but it certainly is also the case on this debut. A marvelous album, highly recommended to all neo minded proggers and worth exploring by any proghead. 4 stars (4,25).

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#252459) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Review by Warthur
5 stars "Cycl" - which apparently isn't actually the album's title (this was meant to be a self-titled album but everyone thought an extract of the lyrics printed on an early version of the cover was the album title) - is the debut album by Abraxas, and the opening instrumental "Before" presents a style that isn't too far from the more complex bits of the first Jadis album, or maybe IQ in their more light-hearted and whimsical moods (such as the opening instrumental from their demo, Seven Stories Into Eight). The next track, "Tarot", abruptly slows down the pace and darkens the mood, with brooding synthesisers creating an air of menace before guitar and drums kick in and whispered vocals deliver... something in Polish which I'm afraid I don't understand, but it seems pretty spooky whatever it is. When the track kicks into high gear I hear all sorts of influences - a shot of Middle Eastern folk, a fair slice of Marillion, and again a big slab of IQ, but Abraxas do a good job of carving out their own particular flavour of neo-prog.

Vocalist Adam Lassa helps a lot with his unique delivery, which is somewhere between an even more deranged Peter Hammill and a much less harsh and grating version of Mr Doctor (vocalist with Devil Doll), but everyone in the band contributes to this - just listen to Szymon Brzezinski's use of acoustic guitar in "Tarot", a little touch which isn't quite what you'd expect from any of their influences, and is well beyond most neo-prog Marillionalikes. And Marcin Blaszczyk's use of keyboards and flute in "Dorian Grey" are absolutely key to the atmosphere. And that's what Abraxas understand - the very best neo-prog albums out there might not be the most technically complex products of the prog scene, but what they sometimes lack in complexity they more than make up for in *atmosphere* and establishing a particular mood. It's true of Script for a Jester's Tear, it's true of The Wake, and it's true of Abraxas's debut.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#344949) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 06, 2010

4 stars What a really wonderful listen. With noteworthy tunes, there is just so much more to enjoy within this album. Typically neo-prog (no complaints from here), it doesn't seem to matter that I don't understand a word of what the vocals are about they are so well delivered. Guitar work is exciting a ... (read more)

Report this review (#438903) | Posted by Ewan | Monday, April 25, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Composition / Creativity: 22/25 The language barrier makes this a bit difficult to judge so they get the benefit if the doubt. musically they are very solid. Lots of nice changes of mood and tempo. Musicianship: 21/25 Very solid Neo-style. Nothing to totally WOW me, but nothing that ... (read more)

Report this review (#176917) | Posted by Trademark | Tuesday, July 15, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This one is the best debut from polish prog rock ever. Abraxas lead vocal Adam Lassa is a very characteristic person; his way of singing is unique. It is alittle bit close to Erly Marillion - Fish way of singing or maybe Peter Gabriel but his voice is more dramatic, much more theatrical and ev ... (read more)

Report this review (#126739) | Posted by adamB | Monday, June 25, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars If there is something that I`m proud of living in Poland it is surely our prog scene. Mayby it is not very wide but it has very good quality. We have SBB, Riverside, Collage,Induktu... and Abraxas of course. As a band from 80` and 90` it must be similar to some others. We can hear Marillion, ... (read more)

Report this review (#96565) | Posted by Wobbler | Wednesday, November 01, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Abraxas is an exception of the rule. I don't know how does it happen, that their rough and quite heavy music has all the advantages of neo-progressive rock, which is thought to be always sweet. Adam ?assa has no voice - but he shows his emotions greatly - and it works! The record has rather l ... (read more)

Report this review (#71585) | Posted by | Friday, March 10, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I think that Abraxas was (unfortunately they don't exist) the best polish prog rock band. "Cykl obraca się..." is my favourite LP, because every song tells incredible story about pain and love. ... (read more)

Report this review (#475) | Posted by | Saturday, November 29, 2003 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ABRAXAS "Abraxas ... Cykl Obraca Się. Narodziny, Dzieciństwo Pełne Duszy, U?miechów Niewinnych I Zdrady"