DEATH MAY BE YOUR SANTA CLAUS

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Second Hand Death May Be Your Santa Claus   album cover

Buy SECOND HAND Music
Studio Album, released in 1971

1. Death May Be Your Santa Claus (2:38)
2. Hangin' on an Eyelid (4:19)
3. Lucifer and the Egg (7:48)
4. Somethin' You Got (2:54)
5. Dip It Out of the Bog Fred (*) (1:37)
6. Baby R U Anudda Monster (*) (3:20)
7. Cyclops (6:29)
8. Sic Transit Gloria Mundi (1:00)
9. Revelations Ch. 16, Vs. 9-12 (3:35)
10. Take to the Skies (2:03)
11. Death May Be Your Santa Claus (Reprise) (5:20)
12. Funeral (3:00)

Guest musicians:
- Lol Coxhill / saxophone
- Tony McGill / guitar

LP Mushroom 1971
CD See for Miles 479 (1997)
2001 WON-SIN MUSIC COMPANY

Thanks to Ivan_Melgar_M for the addition
and to ANDREW for the last updates

SECOND HAND MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SECOND HAND Death May Be Your Santa Claus Music

Death May Be Your Santa ClausDeath May Be Your Santa Claus
Sunbeam Records 2010

More places to buy SECOND HAND music online Buy SECOND HAND & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SECOND HAND DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SECOND HAND Death May Be Your Santa Claus ratings distribution

SECOND HAND Death May Be Your Santa Claus reviews

Review by UMUR
4 stars The second album from Second Hand is from 1971 and is called Death May Be Your Santa Claus, itīs a very tripped out and strange album but I think it is excellent. Itīs not very often you come across a band like this Iīll promise you that.

The music is dominated by Ken Elliottīs organ and mellotron playing, especially his organ is omnipresent. It has a very cool sound and with his occasional use of the mellotron this makes for an exciting listen. Lead singer Rob Elliot is also a real asset to Second Hand. He is a very diverse singer and a real entertainer. His vocal style ranges from manic distorted singing to mouse like singing in the vein of Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. On Baby R U Anudda Monster he even does a really good Captain Beefheart impersonation. In many ways Death May Be Your Santa Claus reminds me of Arthur Brownīs Kingdom Comeīs album Galactic Zoo Dossier which is also from 1971. Death May Be Your Santa Claus is a lot better though. There are slight Gentle Giant influences in the instrumental interplay too.

Second Hand could have been in the RIO/ Avant genre with all these strange influences. All is not well though. The first 6 songs are superb examples of Second Handīs sound and style, but suddenly from song number 7 Cyclops through to song number 9 we are treated with some organ instrumental songs which I personally think is a waste of time. But with the last three songs Second Hand get back on track and treats us with some good songs, even though the last 3 songs never reaches the hights of the first 6.

The production is very good. I really enjoy the sound quality here.

My final evaluation will be 4 stars even though it is only about half of the album that is good. But the first 6 songs are masterpiece class in my ears and deserves more than a 3 star rating. I find this album highly recommendable even though there are flaws.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#162262) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Review by loserboy
3 stars Second Hand were a rather obscure psych-prog band form London who released this strange little album in the early 70's. I will admit right up front that I don't know a ton about this strange band but I do know that I really like this album. This album was recommended to me by a faithful reader of this website and I am very pleased that I picked it up. Musically this band would be a mix of Atomic Rooster, Arthur Brown and Brian Auger with the zaniness of Zappa tossed in for good measure. This album is loaded with lots of great keyboard work (organ, mellotron, piano) as well as bass and drum interplay. I would not recommend this album for the novice prog/psych head but for those who are looking for something completely different then you may want to track this rare gem down.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#223868) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 29, 2009

5 stars This is something of mental recording. One of the queerest rock albums I've ever heard and unless I'm much mistaken, 'Hanging on an Eyelid' is used in the excellent Donald pleasance horror film 'Death Line' Who are these people?... Are they completely mashed?...Which bands are they related to? I ... (read more)

Report this review (#295595) | Posted by Dobermensch | Saturday, August 21, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars On the WTF?/Whacked-out scale this album doesn't just rate a 10+++......its off the charts. One of the most insane, out-there, and seriously disturbed/disturbing records you'll ever hear in the 'mainstream' of progressive rock, although this is really more of a late psychedelic album. Undoubted ... (read more)

Report this review (#157224) | Posted by jonsilence | Monday, December 31, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SECOND HAND "Death May Be Your Santa Claus "