MILLIONTOWN

1. Hyperventilate (7:31)
2. No Me No You (6:06)
3. Snowman (3:55)
4. The Other Me (4:51)
5. Black Light Machine (10:06)
6. Milliontown (26:35)

Search FROST* Milliontown lyrics

Search FROST* Milliontown tabs

- Jem Godfrey / vocals, keyboards
- John Mitchell / guitars, vocals
- Andy Edwards / drums
- John Jowitt / bass
- John Boyes/ additional guitars

CD InsideOut/SPV IOMCD252 (2006)

Thanks to Cygnus X-2 for the addition
and to Grendelbox for the last updates

FROST* MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FROST* Milliontown Music

More places to buy FROST* music online Buy FROST* & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FROST* DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FROST* Milliontown ratings distribution

FROST* Milliontown reviews

Review by Cygnus X-2
4 stars 2006 is a year of exciting releases and new discoveries for me. First there was Kayo Dot's Dowsing Anemone with Coppertongue, which was a phenomenal experience. Next there was The Flower King's Paradox Hotel, which was another very strong release. Then there was Adrian Belew's Side Three, which for me is the best album of the year thus far. And now I stumble on to Frost, a very fine neo progressive rock band that just released their debut album called Milliontown. Keyboardist/vocalist Jem Godfrey assembled this band because of his love of progressive rock, and he couldn't have chosen a finer cast of musicians. Andy Edwards and John Jowitt of IQ take up the rhythm unit, and from the get go you can hear their cohesiveness, and John Mitchell of Arena takes up the guitar aspect of the group, offering a lush and heavy performance overall. This is what modern music is supposed to be like, and I'm very impressed with their first outing.

Hyperventilate is the opening song, an instrumental that opens quietly with an interesting piano motif but soon turns into an all out rocker with a soaring synth line and an epic chord progression that reminds me a bit of Slainte Mhath off of Marillion's Clutching at Straws. Ascending runs here and there give a Dream Theater feel to the piece, and the evolution and musicianship of the song itself is rather stunning. A very impressive opener with great interplay between Mitchell and Godfrey. No Me No You, Snowman, and The Other Me are the more mainstream based pieces on this album that are bookended by the truly progressive ones. No Me No You begins with droning voices and droning guitar notes that outline the basic root structure. It's a rather simple song overall, but the group provide some interesting music and Godfrey's vocals, while not brilliant, more than suffice for the music and add another dimension to it. Some bombastic keyboards that remind me a bit of Spock's Beards intro to Go the Way You Go make up the middle section, and the flurry of instrumentation is rather well executed.

Snowman is a flurry of anxious synthesizers and melodic piano lines intertwining into an uneasy atmosphere. Slowly but surely the other instruments add layer by layer more to the background during the vocal sections, which are very nice. The Other Me begins with some sawing guitar (in the vein of Robert Fripp's during the intro of Larks Tongue in Aspic part I) and some interesting drumming by Edwards. The vocal effects and the main theme is also interesting, with soaring synthesizers and crushing guitars. Black Light Machine begins with a dancing guitar rhythm that invokes memories of those classic Steve Rothery riffs. Throughout the 10 minutes of music, there is a lot of evolution and the group really gets into a groove. Mitchell's solo towards the middle shows makes good use of the frets and shows the listener his skills on guitar. A refreshing and ethereal middle section helps elaborate more on the lush vocals before breaking out into a heavy middle section with flourishes of lush synthesizers and strong rhythmic approaches from Jowitt and Edwards. Here Godfrey gives a melodic synthesizer solo that makes good use of the keys while playing a Dream Theater-esque breakdown section. The first epic is a fantastic one, but does the true epic of the album beat it?

In my opinion, yes, the finale to the album, the 27 minute epic called Milliontown, is the showpiece of the album and the strongest work overall. It opens with a pretty piano motif and some underlying guitar riffing. The main theme of the album comes in around the third minute, and add some tricky riffing that continue and some great interplay between the synthesizers and the guitars, who take turns with the leads. An interesting 7/4 section comes up around the seventh minute with some refreshing vocals (very lush and harmonized) from Godfrey and Mitchell. The instrumental sections that take place between the fifteenth and twenty fifth minute are spectacular displays of guitar prowess and high energy riffing/interplay between the rhythm unit, with soaring guitar leads and melodic synthesizer and piano interludes. The song ends gently, with a quiet piano motif that ends similarly to the intro, giving to piece a continuous feel to. It's one of the best epics I've heard this decade, very creative.

In the end, Milliontown is a great debut from this upcoming neo prog force. That said, the middle pieces aren't very strong, but they are good for what they are. The rest of the album though (which makes up for half of it), is brilliant stuff that any fan of IQ, Arena, or maybe even Dream Theater would enjoy. I can't wait for the next release from this group, as they seem to have a long, fruitful, and very high energy career ahead of them. 4.5/5.

Send comments to Cygnus X-2 (BETA) | Report this review (#84021) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 17, 2006

Review by Melomaniac
5 stars THE surprise of the year, so far. Caught me off guard and left me speechless. Opener 'Hyperventilate' may in itself have invented a new style, 'Symphonic Neo Prog'. A high energy instrumental magnum opus. It is clear with this song that the production on this album is top notch and unique.

'No Me No You' is a more standard song, but by no means less interesting. Dark, heavy verses, followed by nice choruses reminding me of Tears for Fears for some reason, only with a much harder edge. Great vocal harmonies, 80's sounding but definitely not cheesy.

'Snowman' is a mellow number, very moody. The synth and electronics work here are great. A good number.

'The Other Me' is another rocker, at times reminiscent of Stabbing Westward in their prime, and has a very infectious chorus, once again very 80's sounding in the melodies but with a very modern approach musically. Also reminds me a bit of Peter Gabriel hallucinogenics.

The second epic of this album, 'Black Light Machine' starts with an interesting delayed tapping guitar pattern, and from there on evolves, changes moods often, and explodes into a groovy and hectic instrumental segment, with some production tweakings à la O.S.I. (like drum fills played in reverse). I found myself laughing as I enjoyed the instrumental part so much.

Album closer, third epic and title track 'Milliontown' is absolutely amazing and breathtaking, 26 minutes of pure majestic symphonic neo prog. Genius I tell ya!

Being a fan of John Mitchell's other works but having never heard IQ before I did not know what to expect, and in fact, expected nothing. That is probably the reason why I am so flabbergasted with this album. I John Jowitt and Andy Edwards sound half as good in IQ as they sound in Milliontown, I'll buy every IQ album they have played on. Mitchell surpasses himself on Milliontown. He shows us another level of his capabilities, and will surely take his rightfully deserved place among the modern day prog guitar heroes. Jem Godfrey's keyboard playing is just amazing. He belongs within the greats of his era and also with the old time greats (some piano moments remind me of Genesis, Supertramp, while some keyboard parts could have been played by Jordan Rudess), and his voice adds color to the music and sounds unique. Coarse, raw and melodic.

All in all, this album is the best debut I have heard in a long, very long time. Milliontown will probably get my vote for 2006 album of the year, because I seriously doubt that something superior to this will hit the shelves this year. A masterpiece and a promise of a very interesting future.

Send comments to Melomaniac (BETA) | Report this review (#86157) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 08, 2006

3 stars I listened to this record repeatedly for a week, put it away for a few weeks and gave it a couple of more spins. My conclusion is that this is an excellent release, just not quite a 4 star album. The first and last songs are exceptional in their own ways.

"Hyperventilate" is an instrumental and a real rocker, and no doubt would be a highlight live. It opens so gently but when it kicks in, it kicks in. John Mitchell absolutely lights it up 2 minutes in.Then a minute later his leads are so tasteful. Great driving song. I love the way the over 26 minute song "Milliontown"starts, with a guy talking about how in the Bible whenever God wanted to destroy a city or people, he would send an angel to do it. He concludes the monologue with "So would you ever really want to see an angel ?" There is a real Neal Morse feel in this song, along with some good guitar and piano.

I must give Jem his due, his singing and piano playing do not take a back seat to the allstar prog band he assembled here. I would also say the rhythm section really stands out on many occasions, and look forward to drummer Andy's first studio work with IQ, he sure has the pedigree and the talent. The IQ tandem really stand out on "No Me No You". Again the lighter parts of this song i'm reminded of Neal Morse, which is a good thing of course. "Snowman" is a song that is quite mellow and is like taking a break after the first two barn burners. Nice piano and acoustic guitar in this one. "The Other Me" has some funky bass lines happening.

This is really well produced and it will be very interesting to see what FROST has in store for us in the future. 3.5 Stars.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#89456) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 11, 2006

Review by richardh
3 stars So typical of a lot of modern prog this lacks something vital.Whether that be exceptional playing like a Howe or an Emerson or exceptional compositions or an idea that really grabs.Even the artwork is unremarkable.True this band can really play but then isn't that a prerequesite of any prog band? What elevates this from anything else? Not a lot.Its just very good thats all but I'd struggle to make a case to rush out and buy it.

Send comments to richardh (BETA) | Report this review (#89553) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Review by Menswear
4 stars Another brick in the wall.

It's true, Néo progressive bands sounds the same with their plastic keyboards and their fierce tendency to give hommage to their heroes, which means nothing really creative since 20 years. Is Frost* part of that whole circus?

Drum rolls...

No. Not a big 'no', but still no. To me, Frost* is part of a renouveau in the genre, but not in progressive music. Their approach is fresh enough to keep me interested, but in no way I'm flabbergasted by this record. Althought it's been heard before with Spock's Beard and Arena, the way it's processed is somewhat interesting to hear and refreshing. The pop issue is constant, each song has a 'prog' feel but done in a cute modern way, with lots of sampling, backward effects, enhanced voices and floaty keyboard textures.

The piece de resistance is the last song, to me it's a great kick in the backyard. The song shows how these guys were serious when they did this, it goes smoothly but does rock in many areas with bombastic lines and Dream Theater / Magic Pie approach. Great piano (reminding me Tori Amos) and crazy guitar parts, with layers and layers of texture. A very dense song with a lot to give. The other good bet is the instrumental song called Hyperventilate. And frankly, it could give you a nervous chill because it's pedal to the medal from start to finish. It's so good, you could almost see Dream Theater do it...no kidding!

With lots of diversity for a Néo band (metal, pop and progressive), this band is already dead litteraly, but will be shot in the dark of 2006 for me.

Send comments to Menswear (BETA) | Report this review (#108308) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 21, 2007

Review by E-Dub
4 stars I guess it's about time I review what I considered to be one of the best releases of 2006 (Right behind The Flower Kings' Paradox Hotel). Formed by the bands nucleus, Jem Godfrey, he surrounded himself with some of the best musicians in neo prog: John Mitchell of Arena and Kino, Andy Edwards of IQ, and John Jowitt of IQ, Arena, and Blind Ego. This makes for some of the most dynamic music in progressive muisc, in my opinion.

The disc begins with the almighty instrumental "Hyperventilate", kicked off by a beautiful piano section. Andy Edwards especially showcases what a versatile and accomplished drummer he is on this song. The band as a whole shines with musicianship that rivals old Yes (that's right...old Yes). Godfrey's synths remind me of Kevin Moore of Dream Theater towards the end, but the variety of influences are quite evident. Probably one of the best instrumentals I've heard in quite a while.

Where the intial track is undeniably prog, "No Me, No You" takes on a punkish bravado in the beginning with it's driving beat. Still embodies progressive characteristics, but see saws back and forth. This song is also the first we get to hear the vocalists for Frost*. Godfrey's got a decent voice and has a bit of a grittiness to it.

"Snowman" is when we get to hear Mitchell on vocals for the first time. As apparent on Kino's Picture, Mitchell is a very good vocalist. Maybe not possessing the best range, but still very listenable. The song begins with a down troddened pattern with a synth adding a bit of window dressing alongside the vocals and piano. A nice tune that sounds a bit like 10CC, but far from the strongest. Could use a bit more variation.

"The Other Me" begins with a grunge-like guitar riff that would sound comfortable on a Pearl Jam disc alongside a drum loop until the band bears down for a tone straight from society's underbelly. Again, with Godfrey on vocals, this is a very rocking song with a NIN persona. A song that really has a bit of a nasty bite to it...and I like it a lot.

Wedged in between the title track and "Hyperventilate" as my favorite track, we are presented with "Black Light Machine". With characteristics of IQ, Arena, and Pink Floyd, this is a very strong tune with excellent guitar work by Mitchell about 3 minutes in.

We close with the amazing 25 minute epic entitled "Milliontown". Could be one of the coolest epics I've heard and really ensures us that prog is well and alive as the young guns carry the torch high and proud. A pretty meek beginning gives away to an explosion about 2 1/2 minutes in followed by a wicked synth solo. This song is balls to the wall prog in all of it's glory. DPRP's poll from last year had this as being the best song of 2006 and neo prog doubters should give it a listen. Not the least bit tiresome with energy throughout.

I'm hoping Frost endures. We were hit with the news that they had disbanded, but Godfrey announced that Darwin's Radio singer/guitarist was going to carry on in the place of Mitchell. Might be interesting, but regardless, it would be hard to top this debut.

Send comments to E-Dub (BETA) | Report this review (#124657) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 04, 2007

Review by FruMp
2 stars I was quite disappointed by this album, I got this album after I had heard a lot of good things about it from this site and other places and I read some good reviews and the such like and then I got home and put this on and my hopes faded.

My problem with this album is it is too poppy, it's a personal bias sure but I'm unable to grasp it's progressive and musical merits through all this cuteness and upbeat poppy nonsense, it probably doesn't help that neo-progressive isn't exactly my favourite prog genre. I still tried to have an open mind and I listened to it a fair few times and yes there are some genuinely good moments but in my eyes they are few and far between and aren't strong enough to hold together this album or restore it's musical shortcomings and I found myself getting bored quite quick.

I would only recommend this album to fans of more accessible modern music or neo-progressive music.

Send comments to FruMp (BETA) | Report this review (#139246) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2007

Review by progrules
4 stars When I first heard about Frost I got quite interested, it was said to be a very interesting new band so I had to check it out. I bought the album and I must say, I was pretty impressed from the start, that is for where the larger part of the album was concerned. And then we're talking about the last two songs. Because of the very long (and fabulous) epic these two songs cover almost 2/3 of the total time. If we look at these two songs it's a sensational album. Black light machine is on itself not so impressive until after a few minutes and also at the end of the song the guitar solos break loose. This is absolutely fantastic, it lifts the entire song to a very high level. It's no news that John Mitchell is one of the best in the business and that's what he is proving in this song. The epic Milliontown is what you may expect from a song of this length, a marvellous composition with lots of variety and turnovers and of course instrumental passages. But what disappoints me is that if a band (or a person in the band) can write great songs like this, why don't they do it more often ?

I mean: the prove they can, but the other 4 songs are more or less disappointing and devaluate the album. And what's worse: they prevent me from giving this album 5 stars, so it has to be 4.

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#144745) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 15, 2007

Review by Gatot
4 stars "Oh My God . what a fabulous music!"

That's my very very first reaction towards the opening track "Hyperventilate" (7:31) of debut album by FROST. That's really true and it did not require me to think further or re-spin the CD as at first listen it BLEW me away .Why? First, I have been listening to various kinds of progressive music from the traditional and basic symphonic prog even until the modern prog named as neo-psyche or so. But, the kind of music Hyperventilate track is kind like "new" to my ears. Yes, there is heavy component of Arena, but Arena has never played this kind of music before. There is a bit of symphonic prog in here, but Genesis or Yes has never played this kind of music. So .. it's totally new to my ears, honestly! Second, this track has something that really inquiring the mind with its varied moods, motifs and styles delivered by combining (dynamically!) the keyboard work, drums by new IQ drummer, bass guitar and guitar. It's really a masterpiece track, performed instrumental. Basically, having listened to this track, I really don't care what kind of music that would follow after this opening track because the opening track has already killed me alive! But it's not fair if I just write my review about the opening track only, it must continue with next tracks.

"No Me No You" (6:06) ast first did not impress me because it's basically an upbeat modern pop rock music with some new wave flavors, I believe, or some people may refer it as alternative rock. (Note: I'm not quite familiar with new wave kind of things). It starts with an ambient narration followed by guitar riffs which reminds me to the album by Mike Rutherford "Acting Very Strange". The more I spin this song, it grows on me especially on its groove and music flow. I have to admit that this band is lacking on vocal department, or at least it does not meet my expectation. The keyboard solo is attractive and stunning. Again, the influence of Arena is quite intense because John Mitchell is from Arena and John Jowitt played with Arena as well. Andy Edwards (IQ drummer) is a good drummer. The interlude part is quite complex with symphonic background.

"Snowman" (3:55) starts with very nice yet simple piano touch followed by mellow vocal line. The song contains some programming effort. It's good as a break to the next track. "The Other Me" (4:51) reminds me to a song by British pop rock band Def Leppard especially with a song titled "Truth?" from "Slank" album. It similarities lie on melody and ambient, even though they are not exactly the same. "Black Light Machine" (10:06) is another favorite of mine. It has an energetic and catchy music interlude especially keyboard solo which truly stunning. I do not favor the drum sounds actually, but it does not matter because the keyboard work is really excellent! So, it's not only the opening track that is excellent, this 5th track "Black Light Machine" and the concluding track "Milliontown" are also excellent.

"Milliontown" (26:35) is an epic, as you might have seen from the duration which it takes more than 25 minutes with six (6) chapters / movements. The opening chapter ONE UNDERGROUND serves as an ambient opening that sets the overall tone of the epic. It moves to Chapter two ABRACADAVER with a great music in relatively fast tempo in the vein of ARENA, demonstrating really GREEEEAAT keyboard solo and guitar solo with wonderful music. Andy Edwards plays his drums. The song moves dynamically in balanced styles of heavy and light parts until it finishes at the last chapter TWO UNDERGROUND. You would definitely find catchy segments and wonderful interludes throughout the twenty-six minutes full performance of the band.

Overall, I would highly recommend this album to those of you who really want to explore the boundaries of traditional or classic prog with unique prog sound produced by FROST. It's really entertaining for me personally to enjoy this album. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#149201) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Review by progaeopteryx
3 stars Frost had its beginnings in 2004 when musician, songwriter, and producer Jem Godfrey (mostly known for his hits with Atomic Kitten), made a decision to return to his progressive roots that he experienced in an earlier band he was in called Freefall. After listening to a broad selection of current progressive rock acts, he approached guitarist John Mitchell of Arena about doing a project with him. In turn, Mitchell introduced Godfrey to bassist John Jowitt (Arena, IQ, Jadis) which led to contact with drummer Andy Edwards (also of IQ). Godfrey also brought in his former band-mate and guitarist in Freefall, John Boyes. And so began the Frost project.

Milliontown was the debut and result of this supergroup of sorts. Being that the core of the band is made of neo-proggers from Arena and IQ, one might expect this to sound like those bands. Instead, Frost is more of a heavy version of neo prog, showing some prog metal and pop rock tendencies thrown in. It's sort of like a fusion of contemporary neo prog with the current popular musical scene of 2006. As you can imagine, this is good and bad. Good in that it gives neo prog a good kick in the rear. Bad in that it seems too much like popular music. I can see a number of these being fitting pieces for music videos in the early morning hours on VH1. Milliontown gives me that mixed-bag feeling, so I clearly feel this album is out of reach for being in the four to five star territory, but it's not bad enough to rate as two or less stars.

After four tracks of average to mediocre pieces, Milliontown doesn't really kick in until the fifth track, Black Light Machine. It's length gives it much room for development and the band really soars on this one. Mitchell provides some really beautiful guitar solos here. Some of the moments are quite dreamy. Still, it has some qualities that are not as appealing, like the computer effects applied in the last heavier section that are reminiscent to some of the crap one can hear on modern pop music (think Backstreet Boys and such). It recovers by the ending with another nice Mitchell solo.

The final track times in at over 26 minutes. One can only hope that this will be the coup de grâce that will lift this album out of the doldrums of the first four tracks. And it does, but it's not in any way a masterpiece among the best 20+ minute tracks in our beloved genre. But it's enough to keep this album from falling into the two-star territory for me. In many ways it sounds like the earlier tracks, but instead of separate pieces, they are all tied together nicely, conceptually and thematically. Godfrey even performs some really nice Banksian keyboard lines throughout. I think what bothers me most about Frost, other than the pop rock tendencies, is it seems too noisy at times and needs a more powerful vocalist for this style of music. Godfrey's voice is more like a rough, whispering style and this kind of music begs for a soaring vocalist (like Rob Sowden).

An interesting addition to the neo prog sub-genre. An excellent debut, but not enough for this to be an essential purchase but showing lots of ability and promise that I'm looking forward to hearing what Frost produces in the future. Three stars.

Send comments to progaeopteryx (BETA) | Report this review (#161632) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Review by UMUR
4 stars Frost sounds like a black metal band name to me but this is as far from the truth as possible. Milliontown is Frost´s debut album but don´t let that fool you as this band is full of experienced musicians. Jem Godfrey who sings and plays the omnipresent keyboards on the album is also the main composer of the music. He has produced and written pop music for many years but has with this project decided to return to his prog roots. The other musicians are members of various neo prog bands like Arena and IQ. Personally I don´t think this sounds much like neither Arena nor IQ. Frost has a much more modern approach and sound and thank God for that. The influences ranges from Dream Theater ( Images & Words and Awake), some neo prog influences and commercial pop music.

I must say I was really surprised when I listened to Milliontown for the first time because I was expecting some rather mediocre neo prog, but this sounds much more powerful and fresh.

The music is very melodic and there is a good mood in the songs. Not since I heard Dream Theater´s Images & Words have I heard an album with this kind of sound. Milliontown is not a heavy metal album though, but there are traces. The melodic and complex instrumental opener Hyperventilate is a really excellent song with lots of Dream Theater tendencies. I also hear some Steve Vai Firegarden influences in this song. Jem Godfrey´s piano playing is otherworldly in this song. I promise you this is fantastic and very melodic.

No Me No You is the first test of Jem Godfrey´s frontman qualities and he passes with splendour. He has a really strong voice and even though the chorus of the song could have been in a pop song, it suits the music so well. This is one of those rare bands that sounds like pop, but is much more complicated than that. It never gets cheesy though and that´s good.

Snowman is a song with another style than the two previous ones. Very keyboard dominated and mellow this reminds me a bit about Chroma Key with a pop rock singer. Again the melody is very strong and the keyboards play some really melodic themes.

The Other Me is the weakest song here. This is really eighties like in the melody department. But of course it is professionally done and that saves this otherwise weak song.

Black Light Machine is the most neo prog song here. It´s kind of a mini epic with it´s 10 minute running time, but it isn´t the kind of song that builds. There are lots of solos and instrumental parts in this one. Nothing fancy though.

Milliontown is the real epic of the album. 26+ minutes is a long time for one song, but I am entertained throughout the whole playing time. The vocals lines and the singing style in this song sometimes reminds me of Neil Morse from Spock´s Beard. This is a great ending to a great album, and with the many different parts in this song, Frost proves that they are more than just another neo prog band.

The musicians are outstanding on this album and with the wonderful production this is emphazised even more. This has to be one of the most polished productions I have ever heard on a prog rock album, and even though this sometimes offend me I enjoy it greatly here. These songs were born to be produced like this.

This is one of the best modern prog rock albums I have heard in years and a sure 4 - 5 star album. It´s very rarely I hear something that I feel deserve 5 stars, but this is very special, even though it has it´s flaws and I can therefore only give it 4 stars. I can´t wait to hear more though. This is highly recommendable, you just have to try this one out if you´re into melodic symphonic prog rock.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#162687) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Review by Roland113
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
5 stars I wanted to write my first review about an album that I truly loved.

Sure, it would be easy to write about Selling England or some other Genesis masterpiece, but I wanted something more modern.

Milliontown by Frost is the best album I've purchased this year (yes, I know, I'm a little late to the album, I was out of Prog Rock for about ten years).

I first heard No Me, No You on a Progressive Rock podcast and it blew me away, I needed more. I searched through the archives and found Hyperventilate and Black Light Machine. Again, fantastic, I needed more, shortly thereafter, I picked up the album and continue to say Wow! every time that I listen to it.

This album contains 4 fantastic songs and two good songs.

Hyperventilate provides an enchanting introduction to the layers you'll find throughout the entire album, keyboard wizardry interspersed with crunching guitar yet retaining a firm grip on melody throughout.

No Me, No You grips you with a ballsy metalish crunch only to blindside the listener with a shift from left field into a rolling 12/8 chorus that gets repeated throughout the song. Jem Godfrey's pop expertise shines through in the chorus, bridge and outro coalescing the prog oddities with almost pop-like hooks. The result, pure majesty.

Snowman is a good enough song, but it is the best example of my biggest criticism of the album. Many parts of the album feature entirely too much processing on the lead vocals. The album sounds great, why muddy up Snowman and the beginning of Milliontown by sweeping the vocals to the point of distraction?

The Other Me, enjoyable but unremarkable.

Black Light Machine is ten minutes of proggy goodness full of great guitar work.

Milliontown, the 26 minute epic is a beautifully constructed piece but also the place to insert my second criticism of the album. It would have been a much stronger 24.5 minute epic, the 90 seconds of piano afterthought strikes me as kind of a Transatlantic ploy to simply make the 'epic' longer.

Other than that, Milliontown (the song) is a wonderfully enjoyable excursion through the afterlife from the eyes of a Zombie (or at least that's the most I can gather from the references to the book). Similar to the remainder of the album, it's full of almost pop sounding hooks, progressive wizardry, lush layers and thoughtful lyrics.

A final thought, it's so nice hearing a prog keyboard player who doesn't spend the entire album trying to mimic a Mellotron. Love the sound of the Mellotron, but come on guys, it's 2008 (or 2006 when this was released). Let's be progressive. Enjoy the music released in the 70's for what it was don't try to recreate it 40 years later. Go buy a Roland or something from this decade.

Wonderful album, I highly recommend it.

Send comments to Roland113 (BETA) | Report this review (#165399) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 30, 2008

Review by LiquidEternity
4 stars This is one of those releases that garners massive amounts of attention and excitement when it comes out, leaving a lot of people curious and plenty others confused.

What you have with Frost* is pure, unadultered nonstandard noodling. If you can't stand any of the following, this band might not be for you: Yes, ELP, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, or Frank Zappa. Do not assume, however, that by lots of noodling I mean lots of shredding. There are moments of this, sure, but for the most part the noodling takes the form of interesting and unique musical moments that have mostly nothing to do with the songs themselves. And also do not assume that this is neo-prog like you've heard before. Yes, three of the four members on this release are from high-profile neo-prog bands (IQ and Arena), but while this is certainly neo-prog, it's not their usual brand. The level of energy and excitement among the band sounds like a bunch of younger fellows, really--showing that the true power behind Frost* is not their musical ability or their creative songwriting but their powerful sense of humor. What you should be expecting with this album is an hour of carefree, excited exaltations about music and how to really screw with it. Some take issue with the particularly average vocals, but the music is worth putting up with some average vocals for.

It begins with the instrumental Hyperventilate. Kicking off with some gentle piano, it gradually builds and then reaches a specific melody, at which point the band enters and the song goes wild. The track picks up and drops off quite frequently, building to numerous climaxes and granting Jem himself some time to whip out a very intense keyboard solo. While perhaps maybe not the most unique instrumental song in the world of prog, it certainly has its own flavor and flair. After Hyperventilate ends with a bang, No Me No You begins, being the first of the middle three pop/rocck tunes. Some chugging guitar and computerized vocals bring the song to a poppy chorus that still has enough rock in it to work. A few piano bits keep the song in the flavor begun on the first track. Snowman is the third song, being more or less the quintessential ballad of the album. Though it's slow, the harmonies are nice and the piano still full of spirit. Then the weakest track of the album, The Other Me, begins, and we get a nice barrage of lyrics hearkening back to Schwartzenegger's The Sixth Day and music about as straightforward as progressive music can be.

The fifth song, Black Light Machine, opens with a repeating delayed guitar lick, a sonic backdrop that will continue for a good portion of the song. Some nice vocals and a small guitar solo comprise the first half. However, it's the second half that really demands attention. First, a second guitar solo, this one very extended, builds and builds, pushing the track faster and faster until it calms down for the last vocal part. Then, with a few minutes remaining, the song kicks into completely high gear--ample ground for further solos from different instruments. Lastly, the title track Milliontown enters, a song which comprises nearly half the album. If a 27 minute song interests you, get this: it's a 27 minute song about zombies. The first twenty minutes play forward in fairly traditional prog epic standard, with some fast parts and some slow parts and some strange circus music used as transitions. However, it's the last eight or nine minutes that really turn this song into Frost*'s masterpiece. Entirely instrumental, these last minutes reprise in indefatiguable pace many of the song's highlights, making room for a couple of tasty solos and some wild drumming.

In the end, this album is not one to be taken seriously but to be simply enjoyed at a very basic prog level. Many of the lyrics are silly, the songs focus mostly on clever instrumentation, and the album as a whole dances on the fine and fun line between whimsical and ridiculous.

Send comments to LiquidEternity (BETA) | Report this review (#168635) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 24, 2008

Review by stefro
3 stars Jem Godfrey, believe it or not, has written quite a few hits over the years...for the likes of ATOMIC KITTEN and SUGABABES. I know, I know, I know. Not exactly the best grounding in music but, before you try to turn away from this review in disgust, realise that Mr Godfrey is, like you and me, a serious lover of all things prog. After temporarily quitting the day job, Godfrey put together an impressive looking line-up for his new project entitled FROST, who aimed to bring prog into the 21st century by combining the archaic progressive sensibilities, rhythms and sounds of his 1970's-yester-year heroes with the more overt, primary-coloured simplicity of todays pop and Indie acts. Digital-pop-prog, if you will. It sounds like a unique challenge, and maybe not to everyone's tastes considering the apathy towards chart-bothering pop-hits shown by the average progger.(me included). However, with the help of neo- prog heroes IQ's rhythm section and the talented guitarist John Mitchell, Godfrey has produced a scintillating odyssey into this bright new world filled with daring musical mixtures. Opener 'Hyperventilate' sounds like an almighty-clash between Marillion and The Human League, with bold synths and highly-string guitars battling for supremacy over the Andy Edwards thunderous drumming. It's a good start, but things are bettered immediately. Sophomore song 'No Me, No You' is one of 'Milliontowns' highlights. Crunching metal-riffs run head-first thru John Jowitt's thuddering bass, whilst Godfrey's synthesised Transformers-esque vocals spew a barrage of meaty lyrics. So far, so good. But there will very definitely be detractors who will see this as falling delicately between two stools that, traditionally, are very, very far apart. Indeed, 'The Other Me' sounds cringingly like a sub-Sugababes pop ditty, with vacuous wordplay only deepening the resemblence. 'Black Light Machine' fares better, but the pop quirks don't always sit comfortably alongside the prog-and-metal framework, sometimes making for awkward moments and time-changes. The required and eponymously-titled 20-minute-plus epic finishes things off in some style, and is probably the LP's most experimental piece. The fact that the clash of styles doesn't always work does detract from the promising musical avenue being explored here, and there is no denying that. But, in fairness you have to give Godfrey a pat on the back for being true to the core ideologies and ethos of progressive rock - that of experimentation, progression, style-merging etc - and it has to be said that there is little out there(in the prog world) similar to MILLIONTOWN. At times inspired, at others awkward and mawkish, Godfrey's quest for a harmonious balance between prog and pop, his day-job and his first love, was always going to be difficult. He hasn't quite pulled it off yet but with the talent shown by FROST here, there are surely exiciting times ahead.

Send comments to stefro (BETA) | Report this review (#175541) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 27, 2008

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Hello, good evening, and welcome

Frost* (the asterisk is part of the band's name) are the brainchild of noted producer Jem Godfrey. While Godfrey is probably best known for his work with the girl band Atomic Kitten, he has a longstanding passion for progressive rock. He sings and plays keyboards on this album.

In 2006, Godfrey contacted guitarist John Mitchell of Arena (although it was Mitchell's work with Kino which attracted Godfrey's attention) along with John Jowitt and Andy Edwards of IQ with a view to forming a prog supergroup. John Boyes, a former bandmate of Godfrey, also appears on the album. "Milliontown" is the band's only official release to date, although at time of writing they are working and touring together.

The album opens with the 7½ minute "Hyperventilate", an instrumental track which opens rather like the title track from ELP's Trilogy, before moving through some fine Yes like sequences. "No me, no you", the first track with vocals, reminds me a lot of Porcupine Tree's more recent work, especially vocally. John Mitchell also brings with him a fair bit of Arena/The Urbane here, the guitar riffs bearing Mitchell's distinct trademark.

"Snowman" is the shortest track on the album at just under 4 minutes. The song is relatively light, with a strong bass line and plinking keyboards supporting a distorted vocal.

The opening riff of "The other me" sounds very like Tubeway army's "Are 'friends' electric" before Mitchell's distorted vocals take us in an altogether heavier direction. The 10 minute "Black Light Machine" returns us to an Arena style, Mitchell's fine guitar work once again being a feature. The track weaves through a variety of styles and moods from the rather light pop style opening sequence to gentle waves of atmospheric keyboard backed vocals and thundering bursts of guitar.

It is though to the sprawling 26½ minute title track that we look for our prog masterpiece. Nominally in six sections, this monster may borrow heavily from both classic prog and neo-prog epics which have gone before (including "Close to the edge" and "Duke's travels" to name but two), but it still makes for a fine way to spend half an hour. The overall sound is actually quite similar to that of the other recent prog supergroup Transatlantic, the vocals being particularly reminiscent of Neal Morse. The track is as ambitious as it is pompous, with soaring symphonic sections, lush keyboards and plenty of lead guitar breaks. A new prog classic indeed.

In all, a refreshing and reassuring hour of neo-prog performed by a group of highly talented craftsmen. This may be Jem Godfrey's baby, but it is apparent throughout that this is very much a band effort. Any album which features a 26+ minute prog epic cannot be all bad, but in this case it is pleasing to report that the album works well as a whole too.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#178246) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 26, 2008

Review by mystic fred
2 stars Having heard the story behind this release I was suspicious to say the least : a producer of pop albums making a Prog record..? Sounds audacious, and on listening to the whole album my suspicions were more or less confirmed - the album is a good debut, but didn't really do anything for me, i felt i'd heard much of it before. All the ingredients are present to make a good prog album but alas the spark of originality seemed to be absent here. The musicianship is excellent, band members previously playing in excellent Neo-prog bands IQ and Arena.

I hope the material on their next album will be better, indeed a very popular album but i'm afraid Frost "Milliontown" left me a bit chilly.

Send comments to mystic fred (BETA) | Report this review (#179987) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Review by Flucktrot
4 stars Similar the the late show Seinfeld--the show about nothing--Milliontown is the album about nothing. If you need a plot, or at least lyrics about something tangible or relatable, then this won't be up your alley. Conversely, if you like creative, "balls-out" instrumentals, then then this will be for you.

Milliontown gets-r-done for me.

I'm going to be honest: I really only listen to this album for the first and final songs (like Spock's Beard's V, which wouldn't surprise me if it was hatched from the same prog-egg as Milliontown), although Black Light Machine is also a good listen with some catchy verses and interesting solos.

Hyperventilate kicks things off nicely. Let's see, we've got 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, and 7/4, which all can go by without really noticing because the melodies and playing are just flat out fun. Again, there's really nothing holding it together, but they pull it off.

I will appreciate Milliontown for what it is, because I don't think we're likely to get another epic from Jem. That's OK--they've left their mark nicely in my opinion. I find it pleasant and interesting throughout, but special mention must be made for the final 10 minutes or so: they are just rocking out and I love it. High energy, fun and well-played--what's not to like?

One oddity is with the individual contributions to this supergroup. Without seeing the line-up, I would not have guessed that Jowitt, Edwards and Mitchell are playing on this album. Edwards fills things up much more than I can remember in his IQ work (and to nice effect, to be sure), while I can barely hear Jowitt at all (though I suppose this is intentionally a blatant guitar-synth-drum mix). Finally, I am stunned that I often mistake Mitchell's playing for a synth. Very restrained and very robotic. It sounds very good, but it's hard to be happy with a t-bone when someone's having filet mignon right next to you.

All in all, I usually enjoy my visits to Milliontown, and I'm glad it happened. If you like the over-the-top instrumentals that neo prog can sometimes deliver, you can't get much better or more consistent than Milliontown.

Send comments to Flucktrot (BETA) | Report this review (#283773) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 27, 2010

Review by Warthur
3 stars Frost* is Jem Godfrey's baby; having established a lucrative career as a songwriter for major pop stars, Godfrey wanted an outlet through which he could perform some of his own songs and develop material with a different artistic direction than his day job. Luckily, various veterans of IQ and Arena decided to help out, and the end result is the Milliontown album. It's a rather poppy sort of neo-prog album, with Godfrey's ear for a good hook benefitting the songwriting; to be honest, it feels a little lightweight and insubstantial for my tastes, but fans of the poppier end of neo-prog may find a lot to like here.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#707464) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars This is a new band that has been put together by Jem Godfrey, and while this may appear to many to be his first foray into progressive music he has actually been around for quite a while. He formed Freefall back in 1986, and only eight weeks later they opened for IQ. Over the years they supported the likes of Galahad, Ark and Geoff Mann, but although they had three independent releases they never hit the heights and they called it a day in 1991. That didn't stop his interest in music and more recently has been working on more profitable areas. So far he has successfully co-composed and co-produced pop hits, e.g. for Atomic Kitten, whose number one hit sold over two million copies alone. Apart from that he worked for Blue, Ronan Keating, Lulu and Samantha Mumba as well as scoring further chart success with Holly Vallance ("Kiss Kiss"), Atomic Kitten and Shane Ward (winner of the talent show "X-Factor"). When he decided that he needed something a little more stretching he bought a load of prog CDs and started looking for musicians. The result is that Andy Edwards and John Jowitt of IQ provide the hard hitting rhythm section, with guitarist John Mitchell (Arena, Kino etc) also in tow. JJ and John have always enjoyed playing together, reliving their Arena days, and it shows. Jem must have opened for JJ, either in Ark or IQ (or both), and has relived some of those Freefall days by asking John Boyes to also guest on guitars.

What I didn't expect at all was the complexity and sheer brilliance of opener "Hyperventilate". It starts almost dreamily, with sounds evocative of native American flutes before the piano tinkles in gently. Gradually Jem expands the music, playing up and down the keyboards in a gentle introduction, until a repeated sequence starts to take prominence. This builds until John comes crashing in with guitars following the same pattern then all hell breaks loose and it is off and devil take the hindmost. This is a soaring climatic instrumental with guitars and keyboards swapping roles while Andy and JJ provide total rock support. Just when you think that there can't be anymore the songs lifts, turns and then implodes on itself and falls back to piano and then it is off again. At the end of this song I was already in awe ? could this be the best prog debut since Spock's Beard? The other songs show a more structured side to the band, but one that is very hard hitting and riff hungry. This is a style of music that could probably be called prog metal, but it is far removed from Threshold as the melodies are stronger and this is packed full of hooks and is totally infectious. Jem may have written all of the material but he has surrounded himself with guys that know how to deliver, and the result is an album that may only be six songs long but this is sheer quality. If ever you doubted that the British prog scene could kick out something new and exciting then you should know that this is just incredible.

Feedback #89 2006

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#906886) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 05, 2013

3 stars Another album I became aware of from PA's top fifty popular artists in the last 24 hours, the reviews of this album indicated that this was an album to be excited about. In particular, the quote in the artist profile from Jem Godfrey about most prog bands acting like the last 30 years in music ... (read more)

Report this review (#1264629) | Posted by FragileKings | Saturday, August 30, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is the album that reintroduced me to modern prog a couple of years ago. To my ears, this is one of the greatest albums of the 21st century so far, along with Big Big Train's 2009 album 'The Underfall Yard'. However, don't misunderstand me. These two albums are very different from one anot ... (read more)

Report this review (#508984) | Posted by Richens | Thursday, August 25, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars As good of a debut as any you would've heard in the '00s, Milliontown is an album that proves no influences are unwelcome in prog. The most notable thing about Frost* is that they feel like a very fresh band-they never appear to blatantly be copying or homaging prog acts from the '70s. "Hype ... (read more)

Report this review (#300359) | Posted by 40footwolf | Friday, September 24, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Wow! Just, wow! The debut of the band Frost* is, in lack of a better word, amazing. I have no previous relation with either Frost* or its members, but after the first listen I understood the hype about this band. What makes this stand out especially, unlike many groups with many virtuoso inst ... (read more)

Report this review (#252674) | Posted by Lezaza | Wednesday, November 25, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I have my headphones on, my wife and eldest son are watching the X-factor on tv. I spin the Frost* debut disc for the 2nd time and this time it's music is absorbed for this review. Well I reckon that a lot of it is reminiscent of late 70's Genesis and late 80's IQ. The opening track is excellent ... (read more)

Report this review (#244259) | Posted by M27Barney | Sunday, October 11, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Simply put, a marvelous release. I can help use only superlatives for this debut album. Excellent musicianship, originality and freshness in aboundance in both rythm, arrangements and melodies, highly solid songwriting, and probably the best production I ever heard. The impression throughout th ... (read more)

Report this review (#241758) | Posted by mangoo | Sunday, September 27, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Frost* is superb. Talented, inspired and a true extension of the greatness that has become the Progressive Rock genre, since it's infancy in the 60's. I can't predict where Frost* will settle in the legacy of Progressive Rock elite, but they can indeed attain that status, if they continue as a ... (read more)

Report this review (#229841) | Posted by HotToad5 | Monday, August 03, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Great album. This is the Tony Banks solo album that he should have made. Great musicianship and production, time sigs, keyboard solo's, decent vocals, etc. Some of the songs are a bit too pop and seem a bit formulaic. They don't really seem to fit either the album or the prog tag so not t ... (read more)

Report this review (#227896) | Posted by barnimup | Wednesday, July 22, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I think this album is one of the best albums in the world. From beginning to the end you listen some great music. As the first album of the band thats a great start. The first song called "Hypervantilate" got really good piano riffs . The structure of the song is great that we can taste s ... (read more)

Report this review (#219057) | Posted by ersin | Sunday, May 31, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars An extremely good debut from this English band.!! FROST* make their appearance so glad to the progressive abyss. Their style is close to bands just like SHADOW GALLERY and DREAM THEATER with a notable taste of the Pop element. Actually, the band presents 2 styles in its music. The progressive i ... (read more)

Report this review (#201869) | Posted by FatalV | Friday, February 06, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars What a find. I stumbled across this album months ago and have only grown to love it more and more with every listen. As a debut album this CD is all the more unbelievable-every track is great in its own way. The album kicks off and ends in very progressive fashion, and these more proggy tracks ... (read more)

Report this review (#187191) | Posted by AdamantVision | Monday, October 27, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars There is a lot of acts with this name around now. I personally remember a good black metal band with the same name who emulated the best of Mayhem's masterpiece Mysteries Dom Sathanas. I am missing that band.........or maybe I have just lost touch with that scene. Another Frost is doing the rounds ... (read more)

Report this review (#186677) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Wednesday, October 22, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Well ... like what others have said, this here is a 'modern neo-prog' sort of album. That said, I'm usually always in the mood to listen to Milliontown; it's one of my top CD purchases of 2007. I really like how the songs sound, err, 'frosty' and 'chilly' .. mm, just the way the songs were mixed ... (read more)

Report this review (#183927) | Posted by sillythewilly | Sunday, September 28, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars One of the best new albums and bands of the 21st century, Frost is quite a talented group of musicians. The first time I heard this album, I was absolutely blown away by the way they combined mystic sounding vocals with heavy metal prog, symphonic piano parts, epic chord progressions, intensely em ... (read more)

Report this review (#150391) | Posted by The Ace Face | Monday, November 12, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Only one word needs to be added to the reviews already- BRILLIANT! Classic British neo-prog; there's nothing particularly original here, but it is superbly put together. Great playing, exciting loud and fast bits, and beautiful melodic quieter sections. The epics have a variety of moods and also ... (read more)

Report this review (#146125) | Posted by dmwilkie | Saturday, October 20, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars It's about the music. This cd came to me out of the blue, I don't know the bands these guys came from other then some by name only (always more to discover). As an old guy I grew up on prog and all things rotating about it. Over the years I matured as a listener, growing from all technique to ... (read more)

Report this review (#140554) | Posted by randyhiatt | Tuesday, September 25, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars When I saw this album was one of the top albums of 2006 on here, I listened to the one song on the site immediately. It sounded quite good so I bought the cd only to be disappointed. Most of the cd just sounds like boring pop music. I thought maybe I just needed to get used to it so I left it i ... (read more)

Report this review (#139112) | Posted by TalmLikeABalm | Wednesday, September 19, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The first question that came to my mind while listening to "Milliontown" for the very first time was "who the hell is this Jem Godfrey dude?!". He doesn't sound like the usual prog keyboardist so I was very interested in keeping on listening to him. And so I did... Hyperventilate is an awesome ... (read more)

Report this review (#138646) | Posted by painofdamnation | Sunday, September 16, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars At the begining this albums osunds really good, Hyperventilate sounds amazing, like the goods instrumentals parts of Contagion (ARENA), but that's all, the rest of the album is just POP, not even progressive pop, like A.C.T., just pure pop, and it's really boring, lrepetitive long songs, ergo, bo ... (read more)

Report this review (#126692) | Posted by CGH Tompkins | Sunday, June 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars With so much potential in this band, I have to say I was let down. I got this album, like other, from the great reviews it got, and the potential I saw with the band members. I suppose the big hype about this album put on too much expectation. The musicianship on the album is superb. These gu ... (read more)

Report this review (#126688) | Posted by mothershabooboo | Sunday, June 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FROST* "Milliontown"