DEEP PURPLE IN CONCERT

Live, released in 1980

CD 1 - February 22, 1970 BBC studios
1. Speed King (6:25)
2. Child in Time (10:16)
3. Wring That Neck (18:26)
4. Mandrake Root (17:18)

CD 2 - March 9, 1972 Paris Theater London
1. Highway Star (6:35)
2. Strange Kind of Women (8:30)
3. Maybe I'm a Leo (4:55)
4. Never Before (3:50)
5. Lazy (8:50)
6. Space Truckin' (20:55)
7. Smoke on the Water (6:27)
8. Lucille (7:00)

Search DEEP PURPLE Deep Purple In Concert lyrics

Search DEEP PURPLE Deep Purple In Concert tabs

- Ritchie Blackmore / guitar
- Ian Paice / drums
- Jon Lord / Hammond organ
- Roger Glover / bass
- Ian Gilliam / vocals

2LP Harvest SHDW 412 (1980, UK)
2CD EMI CDEM 1434 (1992, UK, bonus material)
Spitfire 2001

Thanks to micky for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

DEEP PURPLE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DEEP PURPLE Deep Purple In Concert Music

Very Best of Deep PurpleVery Best of Deep Purple
Rhino 2000
In Concert '72 (2012 Remix)In Concert '72 (2012 Remix)
Rhino/Parlophone 2014
Import · Remastered
EMI 1995
Machine HeadMachine Head
Warner Bros / Wea 1990
Made In Japan (Limited Edition Deluxe Boxed Set)Made In Japan (Limited Edition Deluxe Boxed Set)
Box set
Rhino Flashback 2008
Deep Purple: Fireball CD 2008 Warner Bros 2564-2 US $7.95 Buy It Now 32m 37s
Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band US $5.00 Buy It Now 33m 20s
ROCK/ Deep Purple - Call Of The Wild (Promo) US $7.99 Buy It Now 35m 9s
When We Rock, We Rock & When We Roll, We Roll by Deep Purple (Cassette, Oct-1... US $3.00 Buy It Now 35m 52s
DEEP PURPLE In Rock / Power House CD 2 in1 Rare RUS OOP Led Zeppelin Rainbow US $13.99 [0 bids]
36m 30s
DEEP PURPLE Fireball / Come Taste The Band CD 2 in1 Rare RUS OOP Rainbow US $13.99 [0 bids]
40m 3s
The Soul Brothers-My Only Reason-Ultra Rare! USA Only 7"(Blackmore-Deep Purple) US $49.99 [0 bids]
40m 23s
DEEP PURPLE Who Do We Think We Are! / Slaves and Masters CD 2 in1 Rare RUS OOP US $12.99 [0 bids]
44m 4s
Ian GILLAN Promo GLORY ROAD vinyl LP 1980 Bernie Torme Deep Purple Blackmore US $9.99 [0 bids]
45m 5s
CD music deep purple when we rock and machine head two CD lot US $8.00 [0 bids]
48m 54s
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of Deep Purple by... US $4.00 Buy It Now 49m 9s
DEEP PURPLE Powerhouse EMI US $13.58 Buy It Now 49m 26s
DEEP PURPLE Stormbringer / Perfect Strangers CD 2 in1 Rare RUS OOP Led Zeppelin US $13.99 [0 bids]
49m 32s
DEEP PURPLE - Very Best Of CD Black Sabbath AC/DC Rainbow Led Zeppelin Dio Who US $4.99 [0 bids]
52m 14s
Deep Purple "Smoke on the Water " LP NM- Rare Russian Press US $12.00 [0 bids]
55m 41s
Deep Purple "The House of Blue Light" NM LP Rare Russian Press US $13.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple"Stormbringer" LP Rare Russian Press US $14.00 [0 bids]
Deep Purple "Smoke on the Water " LP NM- Rare Russian Press US $12.00 [0 bids]
55m 42s
DEEP PURPLE - Fireball CD Black Sabbath AC/DC Rainbow Led Zeppelin Dio Who Tool US $4.99 [1 bids]
55m 48s
DEEP PURPLE - Made in Japan CD Black Sabbath AC/DC Rainbow Led Zeppelin Dio Who US $4.99 [0 bids]
57m 26s
DEEP PURPLE PROGRAMME 1976 COME TASTE THE BAND TOUR BOOK TOMMY BOLIN JON LORD US $44.13 [8 bids]
1h
THE ORGAN POETRY OF JESSE CRAWFORD DEEP PURPLE Promenade LP 2074 NM/EX Play Grad US $12.95 Buy It Now 1h 5m
BLACKMORE'S NIGHT No Electric Night 2CD Lubeck 10.5.98 VG Condition DEEP PURPLE US $1.04 [3 bids]
DEEP PURPLE, FIREBALL - ORIGINAL UK PRESSING LP US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 10m
BING CROSBY Summer Time / Deep Purple 78 BRUNSWICK 02746 US $22.05 Buy It Now 1h 11m
DEEP PURPLE MACHINE HEAD BS2607 VG+ US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 14m
DEEP PURPLE PERFECT STRANGERS 824003-1M-1 EX US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 17m
DEEP PURPLE Come Hell or High Water Japan Issue NO OBI Y2,500 RCA VG Condition US $0.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - Burn - CD Album *30th Anniversary Edition**5 Bonus Tracks US $13.56 Buy It Now 1h 18m
WHITESNAKE PROGRAMME 1980 READY AN WILLING TOUR IAN PACE JON LORD DEEP PURPLE US $3.73 [4 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - In Concert 2CD No OBI 1989 1st TEICHIKU 32DN-28?29 YEN 3296 Mint US $0.99 [1 bids]
New: THE DEFINITIVE IAN GILLAN LIVE (Deep Purple Lead Vocals) 2 CD SET US $6.98 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Deep Purple When We Rock We Rock and When We Roll We Roll CD BMG US $1.49 [0 bids]
GILLAN PROGRAMME 1980 GLORY ROAD TOUR BOOK IAN GILLAN BERNIE TORME DEEP PURPLE US $1.68 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE**LIVE AT MONTREUX: 1996 & 2006**2 CD SET US $12.95 Buy It Now 1h 42m
DEEP PURPLE Machine Head LP First Pressing with lyrics sheet BS 2607 US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 44m
The Family and Friends Albums, DEEP PURPLE, Very Good Box set US $2.83 Buy It Now 1h 46m
GILLAN - THE BEST OF deep purple vox nwobhm heavy rocker US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
DEEP PURPLE**THE BOOK OF TALIESYN**VINYL US $10.50 Buy It Now 1h 50m
DEEP PURPLE - FIREBALL MINI-LP CD (WITH OBI) NEW US $15.98 Buy It Now 1h 50m
DEEP PURPLE - The Battle Rages On. MINI-LP CD (WITH OBI) NEW US $16.94 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Deep Purple Perfect Strangers Album Mercury Records Clean Vinyl Look US $8.00 [0 bids]
Deep Purple - Burn LP HARD ROCK 1974 YUGOSLAV PRESS GOOD US $7.90 Buy It Now 1h 58m
RAINBOW PROGRAMME 1981 DIFFICULT TO CURE WORLD TOUR BOOK DEEP PURPLE US $1.77 [2 bids]
DEEP PURPLE fireball LP 7 track textured gatefold sleeve matrix a2u/b3u gramopho US $61.28 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Deep Purple "Slaves and Masters" Greek edition Lp Rainbow Dio Black Sabbath US $44.99 Buy It Now 2h 19m
DEEP PURPLE - BURN MINI-LP CD (WITH OBI) NEW US $15.98 Buy It Now 2h 28m
DEEP PURPLE - IN ROCK MINI-LP CD (WITH OBI) NEW US $15.98 Buy It Now 2h 28m
DEEP PURPLE - STORMBRINGER MINI-LP CD (WITH OBI) NEW US $15.98 Buy It Now 2h 28m
DEEP PURPLE: DEEP PURPLE; COLORED VINYL; LIMITED EDITION LP; MINT; SEALED US $10.00 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Book Of Taliesyn NEW LP Coloured Vinyl US $27.14 Buy It Now 2h 30m
Roger Glover-the mask.7" deep purple US $16.97 Buy It Now 2h 32m
DEEP PURPLE KNOCKING GREATEST HITS IN THE 80'S CD BEST US $6.13 Buy It Now 2h 37m
DEEP PURPLE "DEEP PURPLE IN ROCK" 1970 UK HARVEST 1st NO EMI MINT-/EX+ US $12.73 [6 bids]
DEEP PURPLE MADE JAPAN OG LAMINATED ISRAEL 2LP DIF COVR US $100.00 Buy It Now 2h 43m
Billy Ward and the Dominoes-Deep Purple/Do It Again-Liberty 55099 Mint US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 45m
FREE MINT PIC DISC w/Deep Purple Perfect Strangers NEAR PERFECT LP WAX/COVER ART US $36.95 [0 bids]
78RPM Cosmo 706 Larry Clinton, I'm in the Mood for Love / Deep Purple V- US $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 53m
LOT OF 3 8-TRACK TAPES - DEEP PURPLE , SHAUN CASSIDY & ELVIS PRESLEY US $6.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple - Last Concert In Japan, Purple 1A062-60900 Ex- Condition Vinyl LP US $22.05 Buy It Now 3h 20m
DEEP PURPLE - LIVE IN JAPAN JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD WPCR-13113 BRAND NEW !!! US $54.99 Buy It Now 3h 24m
DEEP PURPLE In Rock 25th Limited Edition 1996 OOP CD Japan US $20.14 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - LIVE AT MONTREUX 2011 - 2CD - New US $15.01 Buy It Now 3h 27m
Snapshot by Tommy Bolin (CD, Jan-2000, Purple Pyramid) DEEP PURPLE NR MINT US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 27m
Deep Purple TEST PRESSING Lp vinyl WITH original COVER US $300.00 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE**LIVE IN SAN DIEGO 1974**CD US $20.87 Buy It Now 3h 34m
"THE BEST OF DEEP PURPLE" LP NEAR MINT FAST SHIPPING US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 35m
DEEP PURPLE QUIEN NOS CREEMOS QUE SOMOS - LP RECORD - fromARGENTINIEN US $35.00 Buy It Now 3h 36m
The Charlie Ventura Quartet "Deep Purple/ Jersey Bounce" 1954 Norgran 7" Single US $4.99 [0 bids]
Live and Rare by Deep Purple (CD, 1992, 2 Discs, Relativity (Label)) US $18.00 Buy It Now 3h 40m
FUNKY JUNCTION PLAY TRIBUTE TO DEEP PURPLE MER373 plays VG+ HUSH FIREBALL 70s UK US $1.68 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - ABOVE AND BEYOND/SPACE TRUCKIN' LTD PURPLE NUMBERED 7" VINYL 2013 US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 47m
Deep Purple Knocking At Your Back Door Best Of The 80s Cassette Tape 1992 Hits US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 51m
DEEP PURPLE**THE BOOK OF TALIESYN (180 GRAM)**VINYL US $12.50 Buy It Now 3h 56m
DEEP PURPLE: Burn LP WARNER RECORDS W2766 US 1974 Original Inner VG++ US $14.39 Buy It Now 3h 56m
WHO CARES Ian Gillan & Tony Iommi 2CD ( DEEP PURPLE BLACK SABBATH ) In stock US $12.95 Buy It Now 3h 59m
DEEP PURPLE The Book Of Taliesyn (1968) Vinyl LP VG+ US $3.99 [1 bids]
Deep Purple - New, Live & Rare (EMI 3 Track 7" Single - 1977) US $2.53 Buy It Now 4h 10m
In Concert '72byDeep Purple CD (2014) Brand New Ships Worldwide US $31.99 Buy It Now 4h 12m
R9- The Best of Deep Purple 1972 Citation Vinyl Scepter CTN18010 Record LP vg+ US $3.50 [0 bids]
Days May Come and Days May Go: The 1975 California Rehearsals by Deep Purple... US $19.99 [0 bids]
Trapeze - Hot Wire - RARE cd James Gang Whitesnake Deep Purple Spooky Tooth OOP US $26.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple Kings of World Music CD US $4.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple - New Live & Rare Vol. 2 CD Mini LP Sleeve JAPAN NEW SEALED US $19.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE- WHO DO WE THINK WE ARE, JAPAN OBI GATE FOLD NM US $35.00 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE FIREBALL BRAND NEW US $3.00 [0 bids]
ALICE COOPER DEEP PURPLE Sampler (1990 US 10-track promo METAL BLADE ) US $16.99 Buy It Now 4h 53m
DEEP PURPLE CD FIREBALL RITCHIE BLACKMORE IAN GILLAN ROGER GLOVER JON LORD US $3.00 [0 bids]
5h
ZEPHYR Going Back To Colorado CD 1971 PSYCH Rock TOMMY BOLIN Deep Purple US $9.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE COLLECTIONS SEALED CD BEST GREATEST HITS US $8.52 Buy It Now 5h 14m
Deep Purple Machine Head USA Pressing VG++/NM Gatefold Cover VG+ US $35.99 Buy It Now 5h 27m
DEEP PURPLE---SLAVES AND MASTERS---BMG MUSIC CANADA INC.---1990---2421-4-R US $1.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple Import HDCd US $12.95 [0 bids]
Many Faces of Deep Purple by Deep Purple (CD, Mar-2014) US $16.98 Buy It Now 5h 42m
Deep Purple In Concert 1970-1972 BBC Live 2-CD Eagle Records 2011 Gently Used! US $3.00 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Now What [CD/ DVD] [Deluxe Edition] special digipack packaging US $13.99 Buy It Now 5h 49m
DEEP PURPLE Now What Amazing new release 2013 US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 50m
Deep Purple HUSH+Kentucky Woman jukebox strip US $2.00 [0 bids]
Sealed! DEEP PURPLE The Battle Rages On JAPAN CD w/OBI BVCP-7419 Free S US $39.99 Buy It Now 6h
# PROMO! DEEP PURPLE Fireball JAPAN 5" CD SINGLE Obi WPCR-1585 Free S US $49.99 Buy It Now 6h

More places to buy DEEP PURPLE music online Buy DEEP PURPLE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DEEP PURPLE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DEEP PURPLE Deep Purple In Concert ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(47%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(44%)

DEEP PURPLE Deep Purple In Concert reviews

Review by micky
4 stars My first Deep Purple review..dedicated to Gminer, the ultimate Blackmore fanatic, who got me to look past Machine Head and see that early Deep Purple was quite progressive several years ago. I had pulled this out earlier and was curious to see how it had been reviewed Wow! Surprised this hadn't been added yet considered I'm at best a casual Deep Purple fan. Anyway.. it's added ...and what a complement to Made in Japan this album is.

The album is a double CD set of over 2 hours of Deep Purple mk 2 in concert from BBC radio broadcasts in 1970 four months before their 'breakthrough' album 'In Rock' . The second album was also a BBC broadcast, now of course Deep Purple were one of rock biggest acts. Both as you expect of radio broadcasts are of very high quality.

The first show recorded early in the life of Mk. 2 when the set list still consisted of Mk. 1 warhorses is the real gem here. The Hammond and guitar duels between Lord and Blackmore are worth the price of the whole set alone, and a view into the prog nature of the group during the period of the late 60's before Lord was usurped as primary musical leader by Blackmore. My favorite of the two disks for the shear progressive nature of the music.

The second show is a nice companion of sorts to all of us who, like the good rock fans that wer are, all have a copy of Made in Japan. The performances are less frantic yet more tight. This album is noteworthy for having live versions of two Machine Head songs which were done only for this one show's occasion live. Maybe I'm a Leo and Never Before. As the first disk sound qualty is excellent ...the performances incredible yet different in subtle ways from the well known Made in Japan album. A fabulous show from a group on top of the world and playing before a home crowd in London's Paris Theater. Having taken a break from a headlining U.S. tour. Highly highly recommended.

As far as rating these.. one of the easier ones I've rated. 5 stars for me.. some GREAT instrumental interplay and fabulous solos..

for the site... 4 stars as well since there seems to be a school of thought that Deep Purple is not prog . This album may help those ...see the error of their ways...

Michael (aka micky)

Send comments to micky (BETA) | Report this review (#87978) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
5 stars Contains two BBC shows. The first was recorded in 1970 at the BBC Studios for the John Peel sessions and concentrates on "In Rock" and Mark I period. The second CD is from the show recorded on 9th March 1972 at the Paris Theatre in London. It covers almost the entirety of "Machine Head". The CD release will come with two bonus tracks : "Maybe I'm a Leo" and "Never Before". "Speed King" 's fabulous intro is cut here, which is a pain (this will be the case most of the time during their concerts). This live rendition is weaker than the studio album : less hard (although most of the time the Purple was very loud and hard on stage - I've seen them four times so far). Second track is "Child In Time" : Jon is a bit hesitant in the intro; but boy, this must be the best live version ever recorded (far more superior that on MIJ). Ritchie is as gorgious as usual in his anthology solo. Gillan is at his best in this difficult vocal effort. Fantastic. Next two tracks are from the Mark I era and shorter than they will use to be (although each is over seventeen minutes) and therefore sound more interesting than their usual versions clocking at more than thirty minutes versions. Both are rageous psychedelic numbers ( la Vanilla Fudge).

During the intro of the concert, the speaker will introduce the band as "old friends". It opens with "Highway Star" and is almost exclusively "Machine Head" oriented, which is normal at the time of recording (March 72) since Machine Head was about to be released. "Highway Star" will be an opener for lots of years. By now, it is more a closing number. This version is excellent (also superior to MIJ). Quite heavy, with very strong bass playing from Roger. Keyboard and guitar soli are a bit more extended than usual, which is quite interesting. It shows that, at this time (we are a few weeks ahead of the official release) the Purple haven't yet finalized the live version for it. "Strange Kind of Woman" has the MIJ lenght and brio between Gillan and Blackmore (what a complicity !). The recording quality is superb. The next two tracks are rare live performances : "Maybe I'm a Leo" and "Never Before" had not been released live elsewhere (at least to my knowledge). If the first one is not a memorable song, the latter is very good (Ian Paice will break a piece of his drum kit during the speaker's announcement - he will point this out in his introduction saying that this band was making so much money that they will afford to replace this piece : I guess he was right !). "Never Before" will be the first single issued from "Machine Head" and the only one to chart (Nr. 35 in the UK). Then "Lazy". A remarkable song, which was the perfect occasion to highlight Jon's fantastic talent : great organ impro (but was it really an impro ? - I guess it was more a well prepared and rehearsed section). This bluesy song will be a highlight of their concerts (MIJ era) and will return to their setlist ages after that period.

Can you imagine the luck of the audience attending this show ? Discovering almost the entire "Machine Head" tracklist BEFORE its release. I can not figure out the shock it must have been ! I have never understood why "Space Truckin' " needed to be extended to this lenght (it averaged between seventeen and over thirty minutes). It is one of the very few (with "Maybe I'm a Leo") average track from "Machine Head"; so what's the point of expanding five times longer than the original ? They had such a great repertoire than they could have spared this to the audience / fans. Anyway, it's there. Interesting to see how they integrated an extract of "The Mule" in here (around minute twelve or so). Then one thinks the track is finished after the band stops completely (around minute sixteen), but no : they start again for another five frenetic minutes of the hardest and loudiest rock. The public announcer tells us the story around the emblematic "Smoke On The Water" (at that time unknown). But we all know the story by now. This version is less heavy than on MIJ but rocks harder than the studio version. Last number is a cover for "Lucille" from Little Richard. This track will be a favourite encore during the MIJ tour. For me it is very simple. Each track of this two CD set is better than any other live rendition of the Purple (and I do have all of them - at least the official ones). So, five stars are for me legitimate.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#105149) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 01, 2007

Review by Gooner
5 stars This is actually a better set than _Made In Japan_. A 2 CD set this one, It contains one show from 1970 and another which sounds like an album release party for Machine Head. Simply put, if you'd like to hear the Purps with warts and all, this is your bag. There's great banter between both band and studio host as well as intimate crowd participation. Both shows are recorded at Deep Purple in their prime periods. Disc 1 is from _In Rock_ and as mentioned, Disc 2 from the _Machine Head_ period. Both members Jon Lord and Ritchie Blackmore trade off some wonderful duals, on par with Keith Jarrett and Chick Corea's keyboard wars in the Miles Davis electric live albums. The difference is between a heavily distorted Hammond B-3 and a Fender Strat. Truly astonishing! Sound quality is superb. A wonderful bottom end on the powerful rhythm section of Roger Glover and Ian Paice. Ian Gillan is in top silver throated form. Recommended.

Send comments to Gooner (BETA) | Report this review (#230004) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Review by tarkus1980
5 stars Oh man, what a timeline nightmare. Released in 1980, documenting Purple's 1970 and 1972 shows (from before the Made in Japan shows, no less), reissued and expanded in 2001. So naturally I stick it right after Made in Japan in my CD rack. Whatever.

Actually, there is a method to my madness, namely that this acts as a fine companion piece to Japan. The first disc is taken from a 1970 BBC session with John Peel, showing an underground jam band that hadn't yet released In Rock, while the second is taken from a 1972 session done a month or so before the release of Machine Head, showing a well-established band promoting a fabulous album. In addition to friggin' marvelous renditions of "Speed King" and "Child in Time" (the latter of which has an interesting moment where Gillan almost falters in the high-pitched wails, only to effortlessly pull back into his normal range long enough to collect himself and nail the screams), the first disc also features 18 minutes of "Wring that Neck" and 17 minutes of "Mandrake Root." Truth be told, I start to droop a bit around the 10-minute marks of each of these, as there's really only so much of this kind of jam that I can take at one time, but that's definitely not to say they're totally unenjoyable. They each kick a good deal of booty for a very solid while, after all.

Disc 2 is a bit more interesting to me as a whole, mainly because it gives a chance to hear prime DP play MH numbers in a bit of a different way than on Japan. The emphasis is much less on "Let's see just how fast and insane we can make these numbers without falling apart" and more on "Let's just make sure these numbers kick a lot of ass," but that's sure not a bad thing. Six of the seven Machine Head numbers are done here ("Pictures of Home" is left out), in addition to "Strange Kind of Woman" and an awesome cover of "Lucille" by Little Richard, and while they may not be as otherworldly at times as Japan, they nevertheless chug along as unstoppable crunchy machines. Heck, I'd definitely say that this is my favorite version of "Lazy" that I've thus far heard, perhaps because of the clarity of the sound, and "Never Before" reveals a potential to me that I didn't really see before. And needless to say, the other tracks rock me into the ground, just as always.

For some reason, I put off getting this for a good while, but that was silly of me. It's not quite as revelatory perhaps as Japan, but it's still a rip-rolling good time for the prime DP consumer that I am. If that's you, you should swipe this up faster than Ritchie's "Highway Star" solo.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#359422) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Review by friso
4 stars Deep Purple - Deep Purple in Concert (1980) * (recorded in 1970 & 1972)

First of all, I'm reviewing the original 1980 double vinyl which has quite some differences from the later 2cd release. Mainly the jams are a bit shorter and Meybe I'm a Leo isn't printed on the vinyl.

Deep Purple is British hard-rock band that with it's guts and brilliant musicianship entered progressive rock territories by accident. The band's improvisational skills on stage are unmatched even today and the solo performances of some of the band-members are really experimental. The song-writing is that of an almost too intelligent rock'n roll band, that stayed loyal to it's rockin' principles.

This double album features two concerts of perhaps the most fertile period of the band. The second line-up of Blackmore, Gillan, Lord, Paice and Glover is perceived by many as 'the classic' Deep Purple line-up. I can't deny I'm one of those. Furthermore, it's nice to read that Simon Robinson (who wrote a story for the back of the record) called Deep Purple "one of the top progressive rock groups in the country", referring to Deep Purple '70 - '72. Well, no- one can disturb are party now!

On the first record we get to listen to a gig, recorded February 1970 at the BBC studios. The band's in the mood of 'In Rock' its explicit guitar experimentation, heavy sound and legendary energy. Speed King has a nice psychedelic intro and is played with much energy. Ritchie Blackmore, a guitarist which I rate as one of the highest of rock-history, does a brilliant job and vocalist Ian Gillan is as rough as on the album. His vocal performances, with the recognizable high pitched screams that remind us of how serious, theatrical an affair hard rock can be. I'm overjoyed by finally having a good live version of the instrumental 'Wring that Neck', a great hard rock'roll track that shows how great these musicians were. The long solo section on the end with some interesting progressive solo performances of Jon Lord on (distorted) organ and Blackmore on the great sounding stratocaster guitar. The version of Child in Time is great, but less essential due it's already great registration for the Made in Japan live album. Mandrake Root is a great hard rock tune, well played. My only complaint is that the song-writing/composition of this last song of the set is not as original as that of the other tracks.

On the second record we take a leap of time towards March 1972 at the Paris Theater London. This set has more in common with before mentioned Made In Japan record. Only Never Before (a good rocker) and Lucille (originally written by Little Richard) are new songs. Other tracks like Highway Star, Lazy and Space Truckin' are played very well and Strange Kind of Woman even has a vocal-guitar battle in it. A great gig by one of the best live acts ever, but not as refreshing as that of the BBC studios.

Conclusion. This is indeed an excellent addition to any rock, prog or whatever-you-have collection. Deep Purple is a great live-band and it's rough experimental mood makes this an attractive record for collectors of progressive music. This live-album has much in common with Made in Japan, but the first record has great recordings of 'In Rock'-era Deep Purple that I would want to miss! Furthermore, the band doesn't just play it's songs - the versions of the songs are recognizably different from that of MIJ. Four very bright stars!

Send comments to friso (BETA) | Report this review (#450114) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 20, 2011

Review by Sheavy
COLLABORATOR Progressive Electronic Team
5 stars Much better in my opinion than the much hailed Made In Japan live album.

There are two things which make this THE Deep Purple live album, instead of Made In Japan.

One is that there is a lot more material here on this release, and you really do get a bit more bang for your buck. This album really shows Deep Purple in their element which is jammin' at high speeds, knocking you over with searing solos, scathing vocals, hard hitting drums, and mountain moving bass.

Two is the sound. It sounds more like a live in studio album ( which in a way it kind of is, it just is not a studio ), than blasted out over a stadium. The sound to me is much more tightened in this setting than the open air.

The performances, one from 1970, and one from 1972, fature the band like they were meant to be seen, and it is nothing short of a absolute masterpiece.

Send comments to Sheavy (BETA) | Report this review (#470446) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 26, 2011

4 stars This 2 cd's set released in 1980, for sure is a great occasion to hear Deep Purple Mark II classic lineup gracing us with two different powerful performances. If it's not good as "Made In Japan", which is of course the highest peak, probably ever touched by a live record, it's surely very close t ... (read more)

Report this review (#280677) | Posted by Malve87 | Thursday, May 06, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars HIGHWAY STAR... MY SPEED KING Mybe this live alum is the best purple live with "Made In Japan". So because is a very complete live, with NK I and MK II songs. The first live (CD 1) is a great 1970 live (February 22, 1970 BBC studios) recorded in Mono. This is a great performance. If "Speed King ... (read more)

Report this review (#146724) | Posted by Lady In Black | Wednesday, October 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Coming as it did eight years after the career defining Made in Japan, this album has always been in the shadow of its predecessor. However there is much to recommend it. It contains two In Concert programs broadcast by the BBC that featured the formidable Deep Purple Mk2. The first CD is of a ... (read more)

Report this review (#116543) | Posted by jimpetrie2000 | Wednesday, March 28, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DEEP PURPLE "Deep Purple In Concert"