Supertramp Slow Motion album cover

Good, but non-essential

from partners
Studio Album, released in 2002

1. Slow Motion (3:50)
2. Little by Little (4:30)
3. Broken Hearteed (4:28)
4. Over You (5:06)
5. Tenth Avenue Breakdown (8:57)
6. Sting in the Tail (5:17)
7. Bee in Your Bonnet (6:27)
8. Goldrush (3:06)
9. Dead Man's Blues (8:26)

Search SUPERTRAMP Slow Motion lyrics

- Lee Thornburg / trumpet
- Carl Verheyen / guitar
- Rick Davies / harmonica, keyboards, vocals,
- John Helliwell / saxophone, woodwind

SUPERTRAMP MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SUPERTRAMP Slow Motion Music

Slow MotionSlow Motion
EMI Import 2002
Slow Motion by Supertramp (2002-04-01)Slow Motion by Supertramp (2002-04-01)
EMI Import
Supertramp: Slow MotionSupertramp: Slow Motion
EMI by Ukraine (made in Ukraine)
Audio Cassette$9.99

More places to buy SUPERTRAMP music online Buy SUPERTRAMP & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SUPERTRAMP DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SUPERTRAMP Slow Motion ratings distribution

SUPERTRAMP Slow Motion reviews

Review by Chris S
4 stars Another excellent album from Supertramp. Five years after Somethings Never Change ,Rick Davies moved to New York from his longtime stablishment of LA and created Slow Motion. Again if you like jazz and swing with the Supertramp stamp of sound then this album will not disappoint.I saw this album played live in Leicester UK in 2002 and it was great to see how tightly these guys played together. Highlights on this maturely delivered album are the title track, a real burner,' Broken Hearted', ' 10th Avenue Breakdown' - great jamming on here, great keyboards from RD, ' Sting In The Tail' for swing and the awesome ' Dead Man's Blues'. I hope Supertramp continue in this direction. I have to admit that as I get older the more appealing this latest sound from Supertramp becomes. Revisit them if you wrote them off after Free As A Bird and you will see what I mean. A bit like Steely Dan or a good vintage red wine that improves with age.

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars Supertramp should have already called it quit after their good "Brother Where You Bound" in 1985. By doing so, they would have ended on a positive note. But, alas they kept going on and produced one weak album ("Some Things Never Change") and their two poorest ones : "Free As A Bird" and "Slow Motion".

The title track can make illusion. Catchy melody, good piano : a song like they have produced a lot during their wonderful journey. It is the highlight of this work. There won't be any other one.

What comes next are, at best, some easy listening music like "Little by Little" : a little funky tune but not too bad compared to what comes next.

"Broken Hearted" seems to come from the Jerry Lee Lewis repertoire. An attempt to good old rock'n' roll (even revival). One could cope with this while going out at a local party where you have an unknown band on stage playing some live music. By no means I expect this from 'Tramp.

"Over You" is rather horrifying : a transparent jazzy ballad. It's OK when you're dining in a chic hotel with a "lobby band" playing such stuff. Again not Supertramp.

"Tenth Avenue Breakdown" is a jazzy track with more flavour. But its lenght (almost nine minutes) makes it rather dull and repetitive after one third of it.

Two poor bluesy songs to follow : " A Sting in the Tail" and "Bee in Your Bonnet" : I can't tell which one is worse. Let's call it a draw !

"Goldrush" although released on this album has been in the Supertramp repertoire since the very early seventies and was used as a live opener before School. It is the second average number of this album.

Dreadful long and bluesy/jazzy track as closing number. Not a turnpoint in the music history I must say.

As I initially wrote : this is definitely another album too much for the 'Tramp. One little star.

Review by Guillermo
3 stars At the time this album was released in 2002, I visited SUPERTRAMP`s Official Website. There was the announcement of the release of this album, with some quotes from Rick Davies (not available anymore in that website, an official website which I don`t like very much). I remember that Davies said in those quotes that this album was really planned by him as an album recorded with the band, with him writing all the songs (with the exception of 'Gold Rush', with was written with guitarist Richard Palmer-James in 1970, an old song that the original line-up of the band played in concert in the early seventies and which was not previously recorded for an album by the band), doing all the arrangements, and also singing all the lead vocals. In previous studio albums recorded without Roger Hodgson (in 'Free as a Bird' from 1987, and in 'Some Things Never Change' from 1997) he gave a chance to Mark Hart to collaborate a bit in the songwriting and also to sing some lead vocals. But for 'Slow Motion' Davies wanted to do all by himself, with the other members of the band only recording the songs and being directed by him. He only let Hart and recording engineer Jay Messina to co-produce the album with him. The album was recorded in Los Angeles and in New York, with Davies, who lived in Los Angeles since the mid-seventies, going to live to New York during the recording of this album.

At that time, in 2002, I was not very interested to listen to this album, which with Davies now almost directing everything, being the only remaining original member of the band and the founder of the band, I considered more as a solo album and not as a 'real' album by SUPERTRAMP. Anyway, recently I finally decided to listen to this album. This album was recorded with the same line-up of the band which recorded the 'It Was the Best of Times' live album in 1997 and which was released until 1999 (Rick Davies, John Helliwell, Bob Siebenberg, Mark Hart, Jesse Siebenberg, Carl Verheyen, Cliff Hugo, Lee Thornburg).

I also remember that some years ago I read in an interview done with John Helliwell on which he said that Davies really planned this album to be the last album which the band was going to record. The band went to tour for this album in 2002, and after this, there was silence from the band until 2010, when the band (with some changes in the line-up, with Hart not being in the band, and with the addition of two new members, and with some rumors of Roger Hodgson re-joining the band to play some concerts, a thing that did not happen) did their 40th anniversary tour. After that, there was silence again for five years, until some months ago in this year there was the announcement of a new tour, with Hart again in the band. Unfortunately, the tour was recently canceled due to Davies being ill with multiple myeloma and with him being treated for this illness. I hope that he is going to recover from this illness.

Despite this album was not really done as a real collaboration from Davies with all the other members of the band, I think that being their last studio album is really good. Anyway, Davies had the desire to direct the band in all things to record this album, and he did a very good job, with the other members of the band also playing the songs very well. But it really sounds to me that at least Davies gave them some freedom to play their solos. This album as a whole is an enjoyable mixture of Pop Rock songs with some Big Band, Jazz, Blues and Progressive Rock influences. The playing from all the members of the band is very good and very professional. I particularly like more the songs 'Slow Motion', 'Little by Little', 'Broken Hearted', 'Over You' (with very good Big Band / Jazz brass arrangements, and a fifties-like Rock and Roll piano arrangement, similar in musical style to the song 'My Kind of Lady' from their ''famous last words'' album from 1982 ), and 'Gold Rush' (which without doubt sounds to me like an old song from the band, a thing which it really is, being originally composed in 1970).

I like the cover design very much, which still is very relevant to today`s 'modern life'.

3 stars I've got to say that this one was a bit of a surprise to me when I finally bought it ( 2nd Hand, last year ), cause it proved to be far better than its predecessors. I don't think it's of any use to blame Rick Davies for Supertramp "not being the same anymore", cause, after Roger Hodgson had left th ... (read more)

Report this review (#610390) | Posted by rupert | Sunday, January 15, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A very polished effort of Supertramp. When I bought the CD, it was a great surprise. Far better than its immediate predecessors, Slowmotion has more cohesion and musical quality. It has a jazzy feeling all the time, with many horns arrangements by the master John Hellywell, and it is great. So ... (read more)

Report this review (#289299) | Posted by genbanks | Monday, July 05, 2010 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Please... .¿What happened with the creativeness of these guys.? !!!!Something different please¡¡¡¡. It is obvious Supertramp goes round and round through the same formula since Free As A Bird. A mix between blues and and old Rick Davies songs in Supertramp. But the result is some boring ... (read more)

Report this review (#154310) | Posted by robbob | Wednesday, December 05, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Overall, I like this record. There is alot of hit and miss with late Supertramp, but Dead Man Blues makes up for the misses here. It's a true gem that is inspiring and so easy to listen to. There isnt much progressive on this record, it has a jazzy / blues feel to it, but give it a go. Overall ... (read more)

Report this review (#6880) | Posted by | Wednesday, January 07, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SUPERTRAMP "Slow Motion"