RETURN TO CHILDHOOD

2. Moving targets
3. Brother 52
4. Goldfish & clowns
5. Raingods dancing
6. Wake up call (Make it happen)
7. Innocent party
(iv) Misplaced Rendezvous
14. Heart of Lothian
(i) Wide Boy
(ii) Curtain Call
15. Waterhole (Expresso Bongo)
16. Lords of the Backstage

- Steve Vantsis / bass
- John Tonks / drums
- Deborah French / backing vocals

Chocolate Frog Record company/ Snapper music SMADVD047

Thanks to fishy for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

FISH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Cliche Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors, 1990
  • Tongues Internal Exile, 1991

Buy FISH Return to Childhood Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
A Feast of Consequences (2013)A Feast of Consequences (2013)
Audio CD$16.99 (used)
BOBBY'S WORLD~FISH TALES~VHS FOX KIDS VIDEO TAPE CARTOON HOWIE MANDEL 2 EPISODES US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h
A Fish Called Wanda (VHS, 1996, Contemporary Classics) US $0.99 [0 bids]
PASSION FISH (1992) DVD *NEW US $4.80 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Rumble Fish (DVD, 1998, Subtitled Spanish) SHIPS NEXT DAY! PLEASE READ DETAILS US $5.95 Buy It Now 5h 21m
Big Fish (DVD, 2004) US $1.00 [0 bids]
THE RAINBOW FISH and DAZZLE THE DINOSAUR VHS VIDEO US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE RAINBOW FISH + DAZZLE THE DINOSAUR VHS MINT! US $12.99 Buy It Now 7h 34m
FISH - Baggin on the Pole (DVD) Clean River Fishing DVD series, with Bob Nudd US $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 40m
Big Fish US $4.00 Buy It Now 8h 38m
A FISH CALLED WANDA - 2 DISC COLLECTOR'S EDITION WIDESCREEN NEW AND SEALED US $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 49m
Laserdisc - 1989 "A Fish Called Wanda" John Cleese, Jamie Lee Curtis Kevin Kline US $1.99 [0 bids]
Sword fish (DVD) Hugh Jackman, John Travolta, Halle Berry, Don Cheadle US $5.95 Buy It Now 9h 15m
A Fish Called Wanda (Collector's Edition) w/slipcase LIKE NEW! US $4.78 [0 bids]
Kettle of Fish (DVD, 2007) Matthew Modine Gina Gershon US $3.31 Buy It Now 10h 28m
Killer Fish DVD Region 2 Antonio Margheriti, Lee Majors, Karen Black US $9.99 [0 bids]
ALASKIANA ALASKA VHS HUNTING FISHING STAN HARRINGTON FISH IDENTIFICATION OIL US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 50m
FISHING VHS ALL FISH FINDERS ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL US $4.98 Buy It Now 11h 6m
Dr. Seuss - One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish US $1.00 Buy It Now 11h 15m
Dr. Seuss: One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish / Are You My Mother?, Good DVD, US $5.30 Buy It Now 11h 19m
Lot of 4 NEW VHS Comedies~Ferris Bueller~The Producers~Scrooged~A Fish Called... US $5.95 Buy It Now 11h 25m
SUGAR CREEK GANG GREAT CANOE FISH BASED BOOK SERIES PAUL HUTCHINS CHRISTIAN KID US $3.50 [5 bids]
KETTLE OF FISH DVD UK IMPORT MARILLION RLTD 2002 LIKE NEW FREE SUNSETS ON EMPIRE US $18.95 [0 bids]
A Fish Called Wanda John Cleese Jamie Lee Curtis Kevin Kline Michael Palin US $6.99 Buy It Now 11h 48m
Big Fish (DVD, 2004) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Fish Without A Bicycle (DVD, 2005) Jenna Mattison US $7.00 Buy It Now 11h 54m
The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh VHS Jonathan Winters Julius Erving Dr. J UNOPENED US $30.00 Buy It Now 12h 57m
Go Fish (DVD, 2005) Movie - Michael Maguire, George LePorte, Kristen Shaw US $3.90 Buy It Now 13h 6m
Fish Called Wanda [VHS] John Cleese, Jamie Lee Curtis, Kevin Kline, Michael Pal US $3.99 Buy It Now 13h 16m
A FISH CALLED WANDA John Cleese & Jamie Lee Curtis (1988) VHS US $2.99 Buy It Now 13h 44m
Big Fish (Blu-ray Disc, 2007) US $17.99 Buy It Now 14h 30m
Big Fish (DVD, 2006, Canadian) US $7.19 Buy It Now 14h 51m
I FISH, The Complete First Series (DVD) P141936-1(W) US $35.03 Buy It Now 15h 17m
Laserdisc A Fish Called Wanda 1988 John Cleese, Jamie Lee Curtis, Kevin Kline US $15.00 [0 bids]
Big Fish (DVD, 2004) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Go Fish (DVD, 2005) brand new sealed US $1.99 [0 bids]
Big Fish NEW Hong Kong release VCD Tim Burton RARE US $23.70 Buy It Now 16h 30m
I'm Reed Fish DVD Alexis Bledel, Jay Baruchel, Katey Sagal, Chris Parnell NEW US $1.99 [0 bids]
BIG FISH US $7.66 Buy It Now 16h 38m
BLU-RAY Fish Tank (Criterion Collection) (Blu-Ray) NEW US $30.99 Buy It Now 16h 39m
Vegas in Space (DVD) Phillip R. Ford, Doris Fish, Miss X, TROMA DVD! BRAND NEW! US $5.25 Buy It Now 17h 13m
LOT OF 18 VHS Movies- Blow, Sword Fish, Haloween II, American Pyscho, IT, Mummy US $15.00 Buy It Now 17h 29m
2 vhs video tapes on Hunting Bears/Fish - George Klucky US $12.50 [0 bids]
DR. SEUSS SUESS Lot 4 VHS~Hop on Pop/Lorax/One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish US $14.99 [0 bids]
"Kettle Of Fish" 2007 DVD Matthew Modine Gina Gershon US $2.99 Buy It Now 17h 49m
Dead Fish (DVD, 2008) Gary Oldman Elena Anaya Andrew Lee Potts Robert Carlyle US $4.99 [0 bids]
Big Fish (DVD, 2004) Jessica Lange, Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney, Billy Crudup US $2.98 Buy It Now 18h 10m
CORAL SEA DREAMING AWAKEN Blu-ray underwater fish Great Barrier Reef Australia US $19.77 [0 bids]
BIG FISH - AWESOME- SPECIAL EDITION WITH COLLECTIBLE BOOK - DVD, 2005 US $9.99 [0 bids]
RUMBLE FISH .. MICKEY ROURKE / MATT DILLON DVD NEW & SEALED US $6.24 Buy It Now 20h 33m
Big Fish (DVD, 2004) US $0.99 [0 bids]
21h
big fish,dvd,2004, US $6.00 Buy It Now 21h 23m
Shooting Fish US $5.99 Buy It Now 22h 39m
Fish Without A Bicycle (DVD, 2005) NEW US $2.58 Buy It Now 22h 53m
Fish Called Wanda (1988) Blu-ray US $52.45 Buy It Now 23h 4m
A Fish Called Wanda (VHS)1989 John Cleese,Jamie Lee Curtis,Michael Palin,K.Kline US $0.46 [0 bids]
GOLDEN FISH KOREAN DRAMA DVD Brand New Box High Quality Lee Tae Gon Jo Yoon Hee US $36.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Comprehensive & Proven FLY FISHING Methods for STEELHEAD Fish - 2001 VHS Video US $9.44 Buy It Now 1 day
FEED THE FISH DVD *Anna Hutchison, Anthony Evangelista* NEW SEALED R4 US $8.54 Buy It Now 1 day
I'M REED FISH(2006)Jay Baruchel Alexis Bledel DJ Qualls Katey Sagal Chris Parnel US $6.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Big Fish, Acceptable DVD, Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney, Billy Crudup, Jessica La US $1.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Doors of Wonder - The Rainbow Fish/Dazzle the Dinosaur (VHS, 1999) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Bongidae - First Annual Silverback Music Festival half pint and fish bone . DVD US $8.50 Buy It Now 1 day
IN-FISHERMAN-BIG FISH BONANZA (MASTER ANGLER VIDEO SERIES) US $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
JACK DENNIS - DVD - TWENTY PLACES YOU SHOULD FLY FISH BEFORE YOU DIED US $4.95 [0 bids]
JACK DENNIS - DVD - LEARNING TO FLY FISH WITH JACK DENNIS AND FRIENDS US $4.95 [0 bids]
How To Catch Fish with Flying Brand Lures VHS Instructional Alex Langer Fishing US $7.19 Buy It Now 1 day
A Fish Called Wanda (DVD, 1999, Contemporary Classics) $2 SHIPPING US $3.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Baiting Beauties 8 mm Film FACTORY SEALED Color "Deep Sea Fishing - Sail Fish" US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
PASSION FISH 1992 Mary McDonnell Alfre Woodard David Strathairn John Sayles vhs US $1.29 [0 bids]
Lot of 6 VHS Tapes Dr Suess Grinch Lucky Daisy Head 1 fish 2 Cat in the HAt US $6.99 [1 bids]
Kettle of Fish US $0.99 [0 bids]
Go Fish (2005, DVD) US $8.99 [0 bids]
16mm TV Commercial - Arthur Treacher Fish & Chips Drive In's US $6.95 [0 bids]
Fish 'SUNSETS ON EMPIRE - LIVE IN POLAND 1997' out of print 2 dvd US $18.99 [0 bids]
Fish Without A Bicycle (DVD, 2005) Brian Austin Green! NEW!! US $2.99 [0 bids]
FISH, ABE VIGODA, BARNEY MILLER SPIN-OFF, VOLUME 2, 3 EPISODES, DVD - RARE! US $6.99 [0 bids]
Shooting Fish VHS Kate Beckinsale, Stuart Townsend, Dan Futterman; Schwartz US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
A Fish Called Wanda (DVD, 1999, Contemporary Classics) US $0.99 [0 bids]
CLIPERAMA ~ PITTY/CACHORRO GRANDE/GRAM/DEAD FISH/ULTRAJE... DVD US $20.53 Buy It Now 1 day
Big Fish (DVD, 2004) US $1.00 [0 bids]
Go Fish * Michael Maguire, George LePorte, Ara Celi - US $3.38 Buy It Now 1 day
Rainbow Fish: Fintastic Fun in Neptune Bay (DVD, 2000) US $3.79 [0 bids]
A FISH CALLED WANDA [DVD] [CONTEMPORARY CLASSICS] - NEW DVD US $4.78 Buy It Now 1 day
A Fish Called Wanda (DVD, 1999, Contemporary Classics) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Big Fish (Special Edition, with Collectible Book) US $5.98 Buy It Now 1 day
4 WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL / A FISH CALLED WANDA NEW DVD US $25.55 Buy It Now 1 day
Small Fish NEW PAL Cult DVD Petra Biondina Volpe Swiss US $64.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Go Fish-Guinevere Turner/1984/Laserdisc/shrink wrap on US $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Smiling Fish & Goat on Fire Derick Martini, Steven Martini, Amy Hathaway, Heath US $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
What The Fish Hindi DVD *ing Dimple Kapadia (Bollywod/ Film/2014 Movie) US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Monty Python, John Cleese, 3 VHS, Meaning of Life, Holy Grail, Fish Called Wanda US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Big Fish (DVD, 2004) US $0.50 [0 bids]
Big Fish (DVD, 2004) US $1.25 [0 bids]
The Day the Fish Came Out DVD - Tom Courtenay, Colin Blakely & Sam Wanamaker US $29.88 Buy It Now 1 day
FISH OUT OF WATER NEW DVD US $20.75 Buy It Now 1 day
DEAD FISH (DVD, 2008) GARY OLDMAN BILLY ZANE BRAND NEW IN SHRINK WRAP US $10.57 Buy It Now 1 day
I'M REED FISH(DVD, 2007)COMEDY BRAND NEW IN WRAP DAY U PAY IT SHIPS FREE US $10.57 Buy It Now 1 day
A Fish Called Wanda (Blu-ray Disc, 2012) US $15.00 [0 bids]
Go Fish DVD US $3.75 Buy It Now 1 day
A Fish Called Wanda (DVD, Full Screen) Jamie Lee Curtis - 80's classic US $2.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy FISH music online Buy FISH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FISH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FISH Return to Childhood ratings distribution

FISH Return to Childhood reviews

Review by Fishy
3 stars A live registration of one of the toughest gigs of 2005 where Fish revisits pieces of his past. I must say, "Misplaced Childhood" has never been my favourite Marillion album. I remember when it was released it was a bit of a letdown when I first heard it due to the romantic tendencies and the soft sound. Moreover Fish's voice had changed drastically when compared to "Fugazi" . In time I learned to love it more for its mystic and romantic elements. After all those years I find myself appreciating all of the song writing.

The set is divided in two parts. On the first part you'll get a sort of best of package of Fish' solo material ; not necessary the best tracks he ever did but it comes close. When you got Fish- and Marillion material united in one gig, comparisons seem inevitable. The Fish stuff is less progressive but more dynamic and powerful and certainly more up to date. "Misplaced Childhood" is smoother, softer and especially more melodious.

A Fish gig is always a bit of a party. In the spoken introductions of the songs, Fish jokes or gives commentary to all kinds of stuff. It's a pity that, his funny stories have been strictly limited on the "return to childhood" gigs but I guess he used that time to play more music. Anyway, I enjoyed his distractions once again.

Everyone knows the vocal abilities of Fish have been eroded by time since 1985. His vocal performance vary from one gig to another. Quite surprisingly he handles "Misplaced childhood" quite well without significant adjustments. I did spot him in better shape on other gigs of the same tour. As always, he doesn't manage to sing "Kayleigh" proper but on the other hand, I don't believe he ever did, even in the Marillion years. Unfortunately his singing doesn't deliver the power on tracks like "Credo" , "Goldfish and clowns" and "Incommunicado".

The concert has been shot in the Paradiso club in Amsterdam. Even though this venue has a great atmosphere, it seems very small when compared to the places Marillion visited in 1985. Too bad there's just so little stage effects apart from the band itself. They seem pretty good organised and all musicians deliver an excellent performance. The way these guys handle the Marillion stuff is slightly different from the original versions. The music has a rougher edge, the guitars are to the fore and sound more chaotic which is most refreshing. In fact, for the most part, I prefer the Fish versions to the original but that may be personal.

This package of 192 minutes live material is recommended for those who didn't made it to the gigs. Those people who did witness the gigs and want a nice souvenir will not be disappointed. Strange enough, this dvd includes the complete track listing of the first part of the "Fool's company" dvd from 2002. On "return to childhood" there's more solo material included. Let's not forget the splendid cover art from Mark Wilkinson which refers to the original cover of MC. On this cover we find the jester stepping back into the room he left in 1985.

Send comments to Fishy (BETA) | Report this review (#88914) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 04, 2006

Review by lor68
2 stars Well it's not a bad idea listening to a few old hit singles by Marillion, such as Heart of Lothian, Fugazi, Incommunicado and Fugazi, but unfortunately the technical video mastering has been performed in an uneven manner!! Don't get me wrong, almost the whole stuff is still listenable and sometimes remarkable too, talking about the artistic quality of the old and new songs; but the delay of the video process as well as a few defects within, make this DVD a "not-essential" product...so - according to my opinion - it's better to choose his live in Poland for instance, being dated 1997 but closer to the old spirit of Neo Prog than the present one and perhaps performed with a better production. Apart from my consideration, the new fans of the charismatic singer can appreciate some oldies; instead the collectors can add another chapter of his music career, without particular complaints...make your own choice!!

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#112543) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 18, 2007

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
1 stars The best side to this DVD is the stylish cover art by Mark Wilkinson.

Maybe many a listener's expectations were high as this contains Misplaced Childhood completely. It is an important album also in my prog history, one of the first actually, and it still fascinates me - for reasons of nostalgia? But I wasn't excited by this live running of it. Maybe Frank Usher's guitar style doesn't fit into it as Patykk says. But to me listening to a studio album with my own images and associations is very often more pleasing experience than watching the concert from a TV screen, especially if the show isn't visually something special and if the direction is not up to my taste. Here it is somehow tiring to watch. Fish is very much in a close shot, and I know more beautiful things to see than him! The rest of the show includes nine Fish solo tracks (badly chosen IMHO) and 'Incommunicado', 'Market Square Heroes' and 'Fugazi'. The next time I have a chance to borrow a live album or DVD by Fish I may not bother at all.

Oh, one more thing. The interview is an hour long, shot in a street cafe probably, without a single change in the view (escept the river traffic on the background). You can't really hear the words of the interviewer at all, and Fish repeats 'you know' in every half minute. So I can say it must be the most tiresome interview I've seen.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#114108) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 03, 2007

Review by debrewguy
4 stars Brief and to the point. As I am completely unfamiliar with Fish's solo material, the first part held no interest for me. There was one song that caught my ear, but not enough for me to find out the name. To quote Grand Funk, Good Playing, Good Singing ... just no good songs (IMHO). On to the Return to CHildhood ... WoooooooooHOOOOOOOOOOOOO. As I've said about Marillion's Script concert DVD, a good concert DVD should make you want to have been there, and leave you as happy as if you had been. This part of the show does both. For some reason, even while playing the Childhood CD repeatedly afterwards, many songs keep playing in my head as if I could not get enough. It has even been inching ahead of Clutching at Straws as my fave Marillion album. And btw, having watched this and From Stoke Row to Ipenema on back to back weekends, is it impossible for the song Market Square Heroes to not want to make you get up and pogo the prog way ? I'll rate this one on the good bits.

Send comments to debrewguy (BETA) | Report this review (#176808) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 13, 2008

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
4 stars An artist that gives everything he has...and more, to his audience

I received "Return to Childhood" as a gift from a cousin who liked MARILLION but never cared for FISH solo stuff, well I'm not too far from him, heard very little of his solo material but accepted the DVD, more because of curiosity than for real conviction, but I'm happy to have done it, the show is fantastic

I'm used to read "The great artist has given all what he has for his public"·, hey that's nice, only professionals do it, but when you see a guy like FISH, who apparently is not in the best physical conditions giving such a splendid show, we must accept that gives more than what he has to his public.

If you have seen this DVD, probably noticed that in the instrumental breaks FISH sits holding his head between his hands and seems extremely tired in some moments, but when he stands up and tells stories to his public, he manages to grab the audience with his great charisma, and when he sings, his problems seems to vanish, this guy is a real and complete artist.

The first part of the show consists in FISH's solo material, which I found very interesting, specially "Moving Targets" which has many similarities with early MARILLION music and the delightful "Goldfish & Clowns" a song that has clear influence of PETER GABRIEL.

Even though I wasn't familiar with FISH'S solo songs I enjoyed most of them and will be getting some of his albums because I believe this good material deserves to be listened.

But what I was really expecting was MARILLION'S music, and I wasn't disappointed, the charismatic vocalist maintains the good voice that made him famous and the close communication with the audience with stories and jokes.

The band is extremely efficient, specially Frank Usher who does some outstanding solos like the one in "Kayleigh" and John Tonks who is extremely solid in the drums.

It would be futile to comment and describe the tracks, because all have been commented by several members while reviewing the studio albums, but I believe it's enough to say that the show is worth to be seen from start to end.

The video is not perfect but good enough to appreciate the performance and there's even an interesting interview with FISH, so the correct rating for me is 4 stars.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#220204) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 07, 2009

Review by Finnforest
3 stars They say you can't go back again...Fish goes anyway

This 2005 Dutch performance finds Fish going all the way back to the mid 1980s to deliver the entire "Misplaced Childhood" album in uninterrupted glory. The album was the jewel of the Fish-Marillion years, a perfect blend of progressive elements with melodic, catchy songwriting. After nearly an hour of more recent solo material, the second part of the show is dedicated to a new live recreation of perhaps the finest Marillion album bar none.

While I don't want to dwell on age, the show can't be watched without noticing that time leaves no man unscathed. When the vocalist is the star of the show it is even more noticeable. A vocalist like Fish, or Robert Plant, or Ian Anderson, cannot hide behind a cool guitar in the shadows---they are front and center. Fish does not possess either the voice of the energy level he did during the original Childhood shows. This on top of a truly dodgy production make the DVD a challenge at times and yet I think fans of the album should still enjoy it.

Like Ian Anderson, Fish does not allow physical limitations to impede his showmanship or dry up his passion. He goes for it all 110%. His vocals are on-the-mark in terms of emotional punch, they lack mostly in high end delivery. This is soothed by some awesome female backing vocals that fill in the spaces Fish is unable to reach. He is surrounded by a superb band, most notably the dual electric guitars which simply blow the doors off the signature leads from "Lavender" and their later reprise. These important guitar sections seem a bit more pronounced than Rothery used to make them, Fish wanting to push the emotional and melodic high points for all they are worth. Musically the band delivers the outstanding material with enough respect for the original to please album fans, yet with enough spunk to please fans who like live performances to vary from the album.

The downside in my view was two-fold. First the sound on the high end was pretty harsh in several places, especially on the vocal track. Perhaps they were trying to boost the mic but the effect was to make a harsh, over-trebly aftertaste especially on the early vocals in the Childhood set. Second, the video editing and the lighting of this show were visually annoying. The lighting was unnecessarily rave-like, constant strobes to the point of silliness and the stage was very dark so you couldn't see much. Dark stages can be great when handled well but that's not the case here. The editing was way too fast and it seemed like you never had the chance to focus on a performer for more than a split second before you either lost him/her in darkness, or the shot moved on yet again.

Let's face it, for so many reasons, Marillion's "Live from Loreley" remains the definitive Fish era overview despite its own sound issues. But for those fans who love the "Misplaced Childhood" album, I believe you will enjoy this DVD very much, especially if you don't mind watching rock veterans who are a bit past their glory days.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#288468) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 27, 2010

4 stars This is great concert of former vocalist Marillion Fish. This DVD contains all my favourite Marillion songs like Fugazi, whole Misplaced Childhood and early Market Square Heroes. If you like classic Marillion you will enjoy this disc. Misplaced Childhood is performed very good. Excellent concert ... (read more)

Report this review (#176236) | Posted by Aqualung83 | Sunday, July 06, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars It could be a great gift for Fiah and Marillion fans but unfortunetly it wasn't... The only reason of this low estimate is Frank Usher. His guitar style does not fit for 'Misplaced Childhood' suite at all. The parts which should be played gently he played and the solos which should be played ... (read more)

Report this review (#110926) | Posted by | Wednesday, February 07, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I noticed that this DVD has yet to be reviewed and, as I was watching it earlier today I though "what the hell" and took some brief notes while watching. I'll present this review in a track-by-track format that, from experience, is quite difficult to pull off successfully, however, as it's a li ... (read more)

Report this review (#88889) | Posted by Forgotten Son | Sunday, September 03, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FISH "Return to Childhood"