RETURN TO CHILDHOOD

2. Moving targets
3. Brother 52
4. Goldfish & clowns
5. Raingods dancing
6. Wake up call (Make it happen)
7. Innocent party
(iv) Misplaced Rendezvous
14. Heart of Lothian
(i) Wide Boy
(ii) Curtain Call
15. Waterhole (Expresso Bongo)
16. Lords of the Backstage

- Steve Vantsis / bass
- John Tonks / drums
- Deborah French / backing vocals

Chocolate Frog Record company/ Snapper music SMADVD047

Thanks to fishy for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

FISH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Cliche Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors, 1990
  • Tongues Internal Exile, 1991

Buy FISH Return to Childhood Music

VHS TV Instant Aquarium Fish Tank on television screen VCR living entertainment US $1.00 Buy It Now 1h 59m
A Fish Called Wanda, NEW DVD, John Cleese, Jamie Lee Curtis US $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
A Fish Called Wanda DVD US $2.98 [0 bids]
Big Fish, Acceptable DVD, Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney, Billy Crudup, Jessica La US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 55m
Jamie Lee Curtis SIGNED Photo - A Fish Called Wanda - Trading Places - REPRINT US $8.38 Buy It Now 4h 14m
SUPER Blowout MOVIE DVD LITTLE FISH CATE BLANCHETT FAST SHIPPING! US $1.88 Buy It Now 4h 21m
Fish Called Wanda Ce - DVD Brand New US $12.10 Buy It Now 4h 25m
Fish Called Wanda - DVD Brand New US $12.96 Buy It Now 4h 35m
Fish Without A Bicycle (DVD, 2005) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Big Fish (DVD, 2004) US $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 10m
The Walking Dead: Third Season 3 Limited Fish Tank Special Edition Blu-ray US $139.99 Buy It Now 5h 16m
Rumble Fish -widescreen DVD US $5.25 Buy It Now 6h 4m
Fish N Chips: The Movie (DVD, 2013) US $3.98 [0 bids]
Rainbow Fish - The Three Fishkateers [VHS] US $5.72 Buy It Now 7h 29m
Dead Fish (DVD, 2008) VG+ Condition Gary Oldman ELENA ANAYA Billy Zane US $1.99 [0 bids]
8h
NEW - I'm Reed Fish (2007) US $4.80 Buy It Now 8h 53m
A Fish Called Wanda (DVD, 2006, 2-Disc Set, Collector's Edition) Like New US $10.00 Buy It Now 8h 57m
New (2014) Vol.75 , A Day with Big Fish LOWRIDER DVD, car shows, hydraulic pump US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 58m
A Fish Called Wanda (DVD, 1999, Contemporary Classics) US $4.00 Buy It Now 9h 44m
Dead Fish (DVD, 2008) US $1.09 [0 bids]
VEGAS IN SPACE - 1991 DVD - Doris Fish, Miss X, Ginger Quest, Jennifer Blowdryer US $18.95 Buy It Now 10h
Kettle of Fish (2007, DVD New) CLR/WS US $4.33 Buy It Now 10h
DVD Praise Where Kids Get Down And Lift God High by Go Fish US $14.99 Buy It Now 10h 7m
"Big Fish" dvd US $0.99 [0 bids]
Big Fish - DVD Brand New US $16.58 Buy It Now 10h 17m
Big Fish - Blu-Ray Brand New US $22.72 Buy It Now 11h 11m
Big Fish (DVD, 2004) Like New Condition US $0.99 [0 bids]
Little Fish (DVD, 2006) US $4.99 Buy It Now 11h 34m
There's No Fish Food in Heaven DVD - New & Sealed! Region 4 US $12.80 Buy It Now 11h 38m
Rumble Fish - **R4 Dvd Brand New** US $4.68 Buy It Now 11h 42m
A Fish Called Wanda (VHS,1996,Contemporary Classic) New.Factory Sealed.Free Ship US $5.45 Buy It Now 12h 8m
Go Fish (DVD, 2005) Michael Maguire, George LePorte, Ara Celi, Kristen Shaw US $2.99 Buy It Now 12h 9m
Big Fish [Blu-ray], New DVD, Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney, Billy Crudup, Jessica US $21.07 Buy It Now 12h 12m
What Makes a Fish a Fish - DVD Brand New US $21.09 Buy It Now 12h 15m
Passion Fish - DVD Brand New US $16.58 Buy It Now 12h 35m
BIG FISH AND ANGER MANAGEMENT (2 DVDS) US $1.76 [1 bids]
Rumble Fish -( Free Post Aus ) US $9.32 Buy It Now 12h 48m
Kettle of Fish (DVD, 2007) BRAND NEW A-1600 US $5.05 Buy It Now 12h 50m
A FISH CALLED WANDA (1988) NEW BLU-RAY US $18.81 Buy It Now 13h 15m
Fish Tails US $10.79 Buy It Now 13h 17m
**L@@K*** Dead Fish (DVD, 2008) Gary Oldman, Billy ZANE, Robert Carlyle, HITMAN US $3.99 Buy It Now 13h 40m
FISH N' CHIPS THE MOVIE [816943010705] - NEW DVD US $9.39 Buy It Now 13h 40m
LITTLE FISH DVD Cate Blanchett Sam Neill Hugo Weaving US $10.39 Buy It Now 14h
Dead Fish (DVD, 2008) BRAND NEW!! FREE SHIPPING!! US $4.95 Buy It Now 14h 51m
SEALED 4 DVD's NEW Penguins Gorillas Fish Deadly Down Under US $4.49 [0 bids]
Rumble Fish (DVD, 1998, Subtitled Spanish) Matt Dillon Like New US $8.00 Buy It Now 16h 57m
DVD VIDEO PRO'S SECRETS FOR CATCHING MORE & BIGGER FISH US $11.99 Buy It Now 19h 16m
KILLER FISH Lee Majors DVD Deadly Treasure of the Piranha JAWS US $9.99 Buy It Now 19h 19m
DVD - Sword Fish - Region 4 US $9.32 Buy It Now 20h 48m
Kettle of Fish [DVD New] US $7.45 Buy It Now 21h 22m
I'm Reed Fish - DVD Brand New US $6.90 Buy It Now 21h 45m
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR DOUBLE FEATURE: CITY SLICKERS/A FISH - NEW DVD BOXSET US $8.27 Buy It Now 21h 59m
SPECIAL KIDS: ANIMALS, BIRDS, AND FISH - NEW DVD US $30.57 Buy It Now 22h 12m
FISH TALES Billy Zane, Kelly Brook WIDE BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED SEE DESC US $5.45 Buy It Now 23h 49m
The Sugar Creek Gang: The Great Canoe Fish US $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Go Fish (DVD, 2005), Great Condition, No Scratches US $1.95 Buy It Now 1 day
The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh(1979) (DVD) - Gilbert Moses, Julius Erving US $16.89 Buy It Now 1 day
Fish Tank [Criterion Collection] DVD US $18.08 Buy It Now 1 day
Fish Tank [Criterion Collection] Blu-ray US $31.11 Buy It Now 1 day
DEAD FISH DVD USED - VERY GOOD FREE SHIPPING US $4.04 Buy It Now 1 day
I'm Reed Fish (DVD, 2007)Schulyer Fisk, Alexis Bledel, Jay Baruchel US $10.49 Buy It Now 1 day
A Fish Called Wanda (VHS) 76 US $0.79 [0 bids]
A Fish Called Wanda Blu-ray - New & Sealed! Region B US $21.61 Buy It Now 1 day
Go Fish (VHS, 2000) NEW US $5.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Fighting Fish DVD*Thai France Kickboxing Asian Martial Arts Kungfu Ip Id*ENG SUB US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Big Fish (DVD, 2004) US $5.00 [0 bids]
GO FISH (DVD, 2005) US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
I'm Reed Fish (DVD, 2007) US $2.40 Buy It Now 1 day
Fish That Saved Pittsburgh / (Ws Mono) DVD NEW US $16.49 Buy It Now 1 day
PASSION FISH Movie RARE on Laser Disc Extended Play LaserDisc Deluxe Widescreen US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Rumble Fish - Blu-ray Disc (Blu-ray) Region B Brand New Free Shipping US $30.87 Buy It Now 1 day
Fish & Seafood Care & Cooking - DVD US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Go Fish (DVD, 2005) US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE FISH BUM DIARIES: VOLUME 2 METALHEAD US $24.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Go Fish US $1.75 Buy It Now 1 day
FISH TALES (KELLY BROOK, BILLY ZANE) - WS *NEW* US $7.71 Buy It Now 1 day
Dr. Seuss - One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish/Are You My Mother? (DVD) US $30.70 Buy It Now 1 day
laserdisc rumble fish US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
VHS WITH BOOKLET JULIA CHILD WAY TO COOK FISH & EGGS US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
10 Days That Unexpectedly Changed America (History Channel), Good DVD, C.D. Fish US $43.97 Buy It Now 1 day
Rumble Fish - Dvd R4 US $4.67 Buy It Now 1 day
Big Fish (DVD, 2006, Canadian) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Rainbow Fish: High Tide Heroes (VHS, 2000) A135 US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Korean TV Drama - Golden Fish - 8 DVDs 133 Episodes US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Favor, The Watch And The Very Big Fish Laserdisc Buy 6 free shipping US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
A Fish Called Wanda Laserdisc Buy 6 free shipping US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
A Fish Called Wanda (DVD, 1999, Contemporary Classics) John Cleese US $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Animal Life in Action: Fish (VHS) US $9.24 Buy It Now 1 day
DVD Fish, Mercury, and Nutrition: The Net Effects NEW Sealed NTSC Region 1 59192 US $17.90 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Godbluff Live 1975 DVD PROG Peter Hammill Fish Camel Yes US $9.99 [0 bids]
Big Fish (DVD, 2004) US $2.99 [0 bids]
16mm film Fresh Water Fishing & Big Fish 2 shorts about fishing 1930's Castle US $19.99 [0 bids]
Big Fish (DVD, 2004) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Go Fish (DVD, 2005) US $0.99 [0 bids]
EUC Dead Fish DVD Action Thriller Gary Oldman Robert Carlyle R4 Movie 2005 cheap US $8.43 Buy It Now 1 day
YAMAHA FISH STALL., Zhang Liang, Zhang Tianxi, Xu Ruiping, 1984 DVD English Sub US $10.80 Buy It Now 1 day
A Fish Called Wanda (Two-Disc Collector's Edition), Good DVD, John Cleese, Jamie US $7.74 Buy It Now 1 day
Little Fish, Very Good DVD, Nina Liu, Susie Porter, Lisa McCune, Joel Tobeck, Du US $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
DVD How to Build Smokers for Fish & Meats Building Plans Recipes Jerky & Sausage US $9.95 [0 bids]
The Walking Dead: Third Season 3 Limited Fish Tank Special Edition Blu-ray - NEW US $114.95 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy FISH music online Buy FISH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FISH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FISH Return to Childhood ratings distribution

FISH Return to Childhood reviews

Review by Fishy
3 stars A live registration of one of the toughest gigs of 2005 where Fish revisits pieces of his past. I must say, "Misplaced Childhood" has never been my favourite Marillion album. I remember when it was released it was a bit of a letdown when I first heard it due to the romantic tendencies and the soft sound. Moreover Fish's voice had changed drastically when compared to "Fugazi" . In time I learned to love it more for its mystic and romantic elements. After all those years I find myself appreciating all of the song writing.

The set is divided in two parts. On the first part you'll get a sort of best of package of Fish' solo material ; not necessary the best tracks he ever did but it comes close. When you got Fish- and Marillion material united in one gig, comparisons seem inevitable. The Fish stuff is less progressive but more dynamic and powerful and certainly more up to date. "Misplaced Childhood" is smoother, softer and especially more melodious.

A Fish gig is always a bit of a party. In the spoken introductions of the songs, Fish jokes or gives commentary to all kinds of stuff. It's a pity that, his funny stories have been strictly limited on the "return to childhood" gigs but I guess he used that time to play more music. Anyway, I enjoyed his distractions once again.

Everyone knows the vocal abilities of Fish have been eroded by time since 1985. His vocal performance vary from one gig to another. Quite surprisingly he handles "Misplaced childhood" quite well without significant adjustments. I did spot him in better shape on other gigs of the same tour. As always, he doesn't manage to sing "Kayleigh" proper but on the other hand, I don't believe he ever did, even in the Marillion years. Unfortunately his singing doesn't deliver the power on tracks like "Credo" , "Goldfish and clowns" and "Incommunicado".

The concert has been shot in the Paradiso club in Amsterdam. Even though this venue has a great atmosphere, it seems very small when compared to the places Marillion visited in 1985. Too bad there's just so little stage effects apart from the band itself. They seem pretty good organised and all musicians deliver an excellent performance. The way these guys handle the Marillion stuff is slightly different from the original versions. The music has a rougher edge, the guitars are to the fore and sound more chaotic which is most refreshing. In fact, for the most part, I prefer the Fish versions to the original but that may be personal.

This package of 192 minutes live material is recommended for those who didn't made it to the gigs. Those people who did witness the gigs and want a nice souvenir will not be disappointed. Strange enough, this dvd includes the complete track listing of the first part of the "Fool's company" dvd from 2002. On "return to childhood" there's more solo material included. Let's not forget the splendid cover art from Mark Wilkinson which refers to the original cover of MC. On this cover we find the jester stepping back into the room he left in 1985.

Send comments to Fishy (BETA) | Report this review (#88914) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 04, 2006

Review by lor68
2 stars Well it's not a bad idea listening to a few old hit singles by Marillion, such as Heart of Lothian, Fugazi, Incommunicado and Fugazi, but unfortunately the technical video mastering has been performed in an uneven manner!! Don't get me wrong, almost the whole stuff is still listenable and sometimes remarkable too, talking about the artistic quality of the old and new songs; but the delay of the video process as well as a few defects within, make this DVD a "not-essential" product...so - according to my opinion - it's better to choose his live in Poland for instance, being dated 1997 but closer to the old spirit of Neo Prog than the present one and perhaps performed with a better production. Apart from my consideration, the new fans of the charismatic singer can appreciate some oldies; instead the collectors can add another chapter of his music career, without particular complaints...make your own choice!!

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#112543) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 18, 2007

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
1 stars The best side to this DVD is the stylish cover art by Mark Wilkinson.

Maybe many a listener's expectations were high as this contains Misplaced Childhood completely. It is an important album also in my prog history, one of the first actually, and it still fascinates me - for reasons of nostalgia? But I wasn't excited by this live running of it. Maybe Frank Usher's guitar style doesn't fit into it as Patykk says. But to me listening to a studio album with my own images and associations is very often more pleasing experience than watching the concert from a TV screen, especially if the show isn't visually something special and if the direction is not up to my taste. Here it is somehow tiring to watch. Fish is very much in a close shot, and I know more beautiful things to see than him! The rest of the show includes nine Fish solo tracks (badly chosen IMHO) and 'Incommunicado', 'Market Square Heroes' and 'Fugazi'. The next time I have a chance to borrow a live album or DVD by Fish I may not bother at all.

Oh, one more thing. The interview is an hour long, shot in a street cafe probably, without a single change in the view (escept the river traffic on the background). You can't really hear the words of the interviewer at all, and Fish repeats 'you know' in every half minute. So I can say it must be the most tiresome interview I've seen.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#114108) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 03, 2007

Review by debrewguy
4 stars Brief and to the point. As I am completely unfamiliar with Fish's solo material, the first part held no interest for me. There was one song that caught my ear, but not enough for me to find out the name. To quote Grand Funk, Good Playing, Good Singing ... just no good songs (IMHO). On to the Return to CHildhood ... WoooooooooHOOOOOOOOOOOOO. As I've said about Marillion's Script concert DVD, a good concert DVD should make you want to have been there, and leave you as happy as if you had been. This part of the show does both. For some reason, even while playing the Childhood CD repeatedly afterwards, many songs keep playing in my head as if I could not get enough. It has even been inching ahead of Clutching at Straws as my fave Marillion album. And btw, having watched this and From Stoke Row to Ipenema on back to back weekends, is it impossible for the song Market Square Heroes to not want to make you get up and pogo the prog way ? I'll rate this one on the good bits.

Send comments to debrewguy (BETA) | Report this review (#176808) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 13, 2008

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
4 stars An artist that gives everything he has...and more, to his audience

I received "Return to Childhood" as a gift from a cousin who liked MARILLION but never cared for FISH solo stuff, well I'm not too far from him, heard very little of his solo material but accepted the DVD, more because of curiosity than for real conviction, but I'm happy to have done it, the show is fantastic

I'm used to read "The great artist has given all what he has for his public", hey that's nice, only professionals do it, but when you see a guy like FISH, who apparently is not in the best physical conditions giving such a splendid show, we must accept that gives more than what he has to his public.

If you have seen this DVD, probably noticed that in the instrumental breaks FISH sits holding his head between his hands and seems extremely tired in some moments, but when he stands up and tells stories to his public, he manages to grab the audience with his great charisma, and when he sings, his problems seems to vanish, this guy is a real and complete artist.

The first part of the show consists in FISH's solo material, which I found very interesting, specially "Moving Targets" which has many similarities with early MARILLION music and the delightful "Goldfish & Clowns" a song that has clear influence of PETER GABRIEL.

Even though I wasn't familiar with FISH'S solo songs I enjoyed most of them and will be getting some of his albums because I believe this good material deserves to be listened.

But what I was really expecting was MARILLION'S music, and I wasn't disappointed, the charismatic vocalist maintains the good voice that made him famous and the close communication with the audience with stories and jokes.

The band is extremely efficient, specially Frank Usher who does some outstanding solos like the one in "Kayleigh" and John Tonks who is extremely solid in the drums.

It would be futile to comment and describe the tracks, because all have been commented by several members while reviewing the studio albums, but I believe it's enough to say that the show is worth to be seen from start to end.

The video is not perfect but good enough to appreciate the performance and there's even an interesting interview with FISH, so the correct rating for me is 4 stars.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#220204) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 07, 2009

Review by Finnforest
3 stars They say you can't go back again...Fish goes anyway

This 2005 Dutch performance finds Fish going all the way back to the mid 1980s to deliver the entire "Misplaced Childhood" album in uninterrupted glory. The album was the jewel of the Fish-Marillion years, a perfect blend of progressive elements with melodic, catchy songwriting. After nearly an hour of more recent solo material, the second part of the show is dedicated to a new live recreation of perhaps the finest Marillion album bar none.

While I don't want to dwell on age, the show can't be watched without noticing that time leaves no man unscathed. When the vocalist is the star of the show it is even more noticeable. A vocalist like Fish, or Robert Plant, or Ian Anderson, cannot hide behind a cool guitar in the shadows---they are front and center. Fish does not possess either the voice of the energy level he did during the original Childhood shows. This on top of a truly dodgy production make the DVD a challenge at times and yet I think fans of the album should still enjoy it.

Like Ian Anderson, Fish does not allow physical limitations to impede his showmanship or dry up his passion. He goes for it all 110%. His vocals are on-the-mark in terms of emotional punch, they lack mostly in high end delivery. This is soothed by some awesome female backing vocals that fill in the spaces Fish is unable to reach. He is surrounded by a superb band, most notably the dual electric guitars which simply blow the doors off the signature leads from "Lavender" and their later reprise. These important guitar sections seem a bit more pronounced than Rothery used to make them, Fish wanting to push the emotional and melodic high points for all they are worth. Musically the band delivers the outstanding material with enough respect for the original to please album fans, yet with enough spunk to please fans who like live performances to vary from the album.

The downside in my view was two-fold. First the sound on the high end was pretty harsh in several places, especially on the vocal track. Perhaps they were trying to boost the mic but the effect was to make a harsh, over-trebly aftertaste especially on the early vocals in the Childhood set. Second, the video editing and the lighting of this show were visually annoying. The lighting was unnecessarily rave-like, constant strobes to the point of silliness and the stage was very dark so you couldn't see much. Dark stages can be great when handled well but that's not the case here. The editing was way too fast and it seemed like you never had the chance to focus on a performer for more than a split second before you either lost him/her in darkness, or the shot moved on yet again.

Let's face it, for so many reasons, Marillion's "Live from Loreley" remains the definitive Fish era overview despite its own sound issues. But for those fans who love the "Misplaced Childhood" album, I believe you will enjoy this DVD very much, especially if you don't mind watching rock veterans who are a bit past their glory days.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#288468) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 27, 2010

4 stars This is great concert of former vocalist Marillion Fish. This DVD contains all my favourite Marillion songs like Fugazi, whole Misplaced Childhood and early Market Square Heroes. If you like classic Marillion you will enjoy this disc. Misplaced Childhood is performed very good. Excellent concert ... (read more)

Report this review (#176236) | Posted by Aqualung83 | Sunday, July 06, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars It could be a great gift for Fiah and Marillion fans but unfortunetly it wasn't... The only reason of this low estimate is Frank Usher. His guitar style does not fit for 'Misplaced Childhood' suite at all. The parts which should be played gently he played and the solos which should be played ... (read more)

Report this review (#110926) | Posted by | Wednesday, February 07, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I noticed that this DVD has yet to be reviewed and, as I was watching it earlier today I though "what the hell" and took some brief notes while watching. I'll present this review in a track-by-track format that, from experience, is quite difficult to pull off successfully, however, as it's a li ... (read more)

Report this review (#88889) | Posted by Forgotten Son | Sunday, September 03, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FISH "Return to Childhood"