NEVER A TIME

Genesis Never a Time album cover

Buy GENESIS Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 1993

1. Never a Time (3:52)
2. Dreaming While You Sleep (Live) (7:56)
3. Turn It On Again (1992 Live) (5:19)
4. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (Full Version Live) (9:34)

Search GENESIS Never a Time lyrics

Search GENESIS Never a Time tabs

- Tony Banks / keyboards vocals
- Phil Collins / drums, lead vocals
- Mike Rutherford / guitars, basses, vocals
- Daryl Stuermer / guitars, basses, vocals (live tracks only)
- Chester Thompson / drums (live tracks only)

CD: Virgin Records, GENE 11

Thanks to Guillermo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

GENESIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GENESIS Never a Time Music

Turn It on Again: The HitsTurn It on Again: The Hits
Atlantic 2007
Lamb Lies Down on BroadwayLamb Lies Down on Broadway
EMI Europe Generic 2009
Trick of the Tail (CD/DVD)Trick of the Tail (CD/DVD)
Rhino 2007
FoxtrotFoxtrot
Wea Int'l 1990
Seconds OutSeconds Out
Atlantic 1994
GENESIS Self Titled CD 7 80116-2 Early Japan for US Pressing Phil Collins US $2.75 [0 bids]
35m 31s
GENESIS - LIVE - THE WAY WE WALK Volume one: The Shorts, Greatest Hits, Best of US $3.00 [0 bids]
41m 39s
GENESIS "I KNOW WHAT I LIKE (IN YOUR WARDROBE)" RARE 1982 UK REISSUE 7" US $9.93 [0 bids]
48m 51s
Genesis-illegal alien.7" US $6.63 Buy It Now 58m 44s
Genesis - A Trick Of The Tail *VG+* Vinyl Album Record LP ATCO SD38-101 US $7.95 Buy It Now 59m 7s
Phil Collins GENESIS Jesus He know me / Dance MIX & UNRELEASED CD single SEALED US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
GENESIS : SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND (CHARISMA CAS 1074 STEREO) TOP VINYL. US $8.27 [0 bids]
MIKE & THE MECHANICS "RADIO INTERVIEW" LP 1985 US PROMO w/CUE & LETTER (Genesis) US $10.00 [0 bids]
Turn It on Again: The Hits by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD, Mar-2007, Atlantic/WEA) US $9.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS Orig 1978 "Then There Were Three" LP SEALED w STICKER NM US $85.00 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Genesis And Then There Were Three Cassette US $1.64 [0 bids]
Like New! GENESIS and then there were three CD 1978 West German TARGET Version US $12.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS double lp SECONDS OUT g/f EX Atlantic 9002 usa issue US $16.58 Buy It Now 1h 37m
GENESIS "THE SILENT SUN" 1980 DECCA GERMANY PRESS LP PETER GABRIEL US $9.93 [0 bids]
SUPERTRACKS -STONES,LED ZEP, FLOYD,YES,GENESIS++ -UK LP US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 44m
Genesis- 1983- Atlantic Records- #80116-1 US $2.99 [0 bids]
Genesis - Abacab - Charisma Records CBR 102 Vinyl US $16.58 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Genesis - And Then There Were Three - 12" LP US $0.99 [0 bids]
Genesis - Genesis - Vertigo Records Greek Pressing 814 287-1 EX/VG+ US $3.73 Buy It Now 1h 56m
MARILLION HE KNOWS YOU KNOW UK PROG RARE 12"SINGLE GENESIS US $7.50 [0 bids]
(CD) GENESIS - Foxtrot / Early Pressing / Japan / 32VD-1027 US $65.00 Buy It Now 2h
PHIL COLLINS GENESIS 50mm x 50mm PROMO photo press slide negative #C/10806 US $41.45 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Genesis 'Counting Out Time' RARE 1974 - 7" Single In Original Pink Dust Sleeve US $13.26 [0 bids]
GENESIS And Then There Were Three LP Vinyl Record EX+ US $8.27 [0 bids]
(CD) GENESIS - Trespass / Early Pressing / UK / CASCD 1020 US $45.00 Buy It Now 2h 11m
GENESIS seconds out ISRAELI 2 LP gatefold cover HEBREW PRESS LITRATONE 1977 ROCK US $18.00 Buy It Now 2h 14m
GENESIS the lamb lies down on broadway ISRAELI 2 LP gatefold LITRATONE 1978 ROCK US $24.00 Buy It Now 2h 14m
GENESIS Self Titled LP Vinyl Record Album RARE EX PROG ROCK US $8.27 [0 bids]
GENESIS Seconds Out LP Vinyl Record Album MEGA RARE EX+ Gatefold + Inners UK US $8.27 [0 bids]
(CD) GENESIS - Live / Early Pressing / UK / CLACD 1 US $45.00 Buy It Now 2h 22m
WENDY & BONNIE GENESIS DELUXE EDITION SUNDAZED 3LP SET US $39.98 Buy It Now 2h 24m
PHIL COLLINS-Dance Into The Light-GENESIS/Brand X/Tape US $5.49 Buy It Now 2h 25m
GENESIS SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND USED 1973 CD ALBUM. US $3.65 [4 bids]
Genesis - A Trick of the Tail - 1976 Charisma Records CDS 4001 Vinyl US $24.87 Buy It Now 2h 25m
(CD) GENESIS - Duke / Early Pressing / Japan / 16014-2 US $45.00 Buy It Now 2h 28m
GENESIS VINYL ALBUM US $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 32m
GENESIS A Trick Of The Tail LP Atco 1976 w/ Inner Sleeve PROGRESSIVE ROCK US $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 33m
(CD) GENESIS - Invisible Touch / Early Pressing / Japan / 7 81641-2 US $45.00 Buy It Now 2h 34m
Genesis Three Sides Live CD Vertigo West Germany Red Swirl - No Inside Booklet US $35.00 Buy It Now 2h 34m
Genesis PHIL COLLINS Do you Remember 1989 USA PROMO radio DJ CD single PRCD3121 US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Genesis PHIL COLLINS Hits RARE 1998 JAPAN PRESSING CD USA Seller w/ ERIC CLAPTON US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 35m
The Phil Collins And Genesis Radio Show - 1988 US $17.75 Buy It Now 2h 39m
PHIL COLLINS Face Value Vinyl Record LP Album N MINT NM genesis US $8.27 [1 bids]
MIKE RUTHERFORD + THE MECHANICS self titled LP 1985 Genesis 1st Press TOP MINT US $12.98 Buy It Now 2h 43m
GENESIS LIVE REMASTERED CD CLACDX1 HOLLAND RELEASE US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Genesis Live: The Way We Walk, Vol. 1 (The Shorts) by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS - MAMA 7" 83 VG US $1.64 Buy It Now 2h 53m
Genesis The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway US $26.51 Buy It Now 2h 54m
Genesis Vs. Stiltskin - Very Good US $27.68 Buy It Now 2h 55m
GENESIS Selling England By The Pound Limited Original Recording Remastered LP US $41.44 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Genesis-1980 magazine article US $8.27 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Genesis Live: The Way We Walk, Vol. 1 (The Shorts) by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD, D US $1.99 [0 bids]
3h
GENESIS In Too deep 7 inch 45 US $0.75 [0 bids]
3h
Turn It on Again: The Hits by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD, Oct-1999, Atlantic... US $3.00 Buy It Now 3h 6m
GENESIS SECONDS OUT charisma 77 orig UK double Lp EX VINYL US $19.88 Buy It Now 3h 8m
GENESIS - "Never A Time" CD Single + 2 Live Tracks - 1992 -RARE/OOP US $9.95 [0 bids]
MICHAEL JACKSON,QUEEN,GENESIS,GEORGE MICHAEL,PRINCE *MEGA RARE VINYL LP+POSTER* US $50.00 Buy It Now 3h 10m
GENESIS - FOLLOW YOU FOLLOW ME 1978 VINYL EX/CON US $1.64 [0 bids]
Genesis-Taking It All Too Hard (PS) Mint US $6.00 Buy It Now 3h 17m
GENESIS "Trespass" (CD, 2005 MCA 1653) US $7.95 Buy It Now 3h 17m
Genesis - Live (The Way We Walk, Vol. 1 (The Shorts)/Live Recording, 1992) GC0 US $1.64 [0 bids]
THE MARQUEE - 30 LEGENDARY YEARS - YARDBIRDS / BOWIE / GENESIS / PINK FLOYD US $6.62 [0 bids]
GENESIS A Biography by Dave Bowler & Bryan Dray Hardback US $14.09 Buy It Now 3h 22m
Selling England by the Pound by Genesis (CD Virgin) Phil Collins Peter Gabriel US $1.99 [0 bids]
Genesis (5)-abacab Genesis InvisibleTouch WeCantDance LiveShorts [audio tape] US $21.00 Buy It Now 3h 24m
A Trick of the Tail by Genesis (CD 1994, Atco) UK Prog Canterbury Phil Collins US $1.99 [0 bids]
Genesis 45 "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight /In The Glow .... US $3.49 Buy It Now 3h 36m
Genesis Selling England By The Pound Vinyl Record FC 6060 Charisma Label 1973 US $24.95 Buy It Now 3h 37m
Pigface - Eat Sh*t You F*cking Redneck - Genesis P-Orridge Mick Harris NEW CD US $2.99 Buy It Now 3h 38m
GENESIS That's All / Second Home By the Sea 7 inch 45 US $0.89 [0 bids]
GENESIS Paperlate bw You Might Recall 45 rpm vinyl ATLANTIC 4053 Collins jukebox US $4.99 [0 bids]
Genesis Live: The Way We Walk, Vol. 2 (The Longs) by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD,... US $3.99 [0 bids]
EMPIRE-Back To Knowledge- Rare Italian PROGRESSIVE CD (ELP prog yes-genesis) US $5.99 Buy It Now 3h 46m
"IN THE BEGINNING" GENESIS LP EXCELLENT CONDITION FAST SHIPPING US $4.98 Buy It Now 3h 52m
We Can't Dance by Genesis (CD) HARD ROCK PROGRESSIVE ROCK HEAVY READ NOTES!! US $0.99 [0 bids]
Genesis Lp Wind & Wuthering Nr Mint Really Nice Copy US $4.99 [0 bids]
Genesis: Journey to the Moon Pt 1 & Pt 2 [Original, New, Unplayed] US $31.97 Buy It Now 4h
GENESIS Mama/It's Gonna Get Better 45 RPM Atlantic Records W/PS US $7.00 Buy It Now 4h
GENESIS Abacus/Who Dunnit 45 RPM Atlantic Records W/PS US $8.00 Buy It Now 4h 4m
Genesis Invisible Touch LP US $5.00 [0 bids]
Genesis Earl's Court 24-6-77 LP Living Revelations KMH-2077 Holland Phil Collins US $29.99 Buy It Now 4h 14m
GENESIS Wind and Wuthering ATCO RECORDS SD 36-144 1976 Near Mint SHRINK US $15.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS nursery crime '71 LP UK 1st press EX/VG pink scroll SIGNED by HACKETT US $130.00 Buy It Now 4h 17m
GENESIS Selling England By The Pound L.P. (1973) CHC46 Reissue Italian Pressing US $13.26 Buy It Now 4h 19m
STEVE HACKETT cured (UK 1981charisma) GENESIS Guitarist 1981 CDS 4021 US $5.80 [0 bids]
Genesis - Duke. 1980 UK Charisma LP VG+ US $4.96 Buy It Now 4h 24m
Genesis - And Then There Were Three. 1978 UK Charisma LP US $4.96 Buy It Now 4h 24m
GENESIS Trespass ABC RECORDS 1970 gatefold original press NEAR MINT US $38.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS That's All! 1983 VIRGIN 12" EP 45 RPM VG++/NMINT- US $16.00 Buy It Now 4h 31m
GENESIS...And Then There Were Three... L.P. (1978) CDS 4010 US $11.61 Buy It Now 4h 32m
GENESIS Trick Of The Tail ATCO RECORDS 1976 gatefold reissue NEAR MINT US $8.99 [0 bids]
CULTURE CLUB GENESIS MADNESS BRITNEY SPEARS rare DJ pro CD Argentina US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 32m
GENESIS - WE CAN'T DANCE - rare DJ pro LP Argentina US $21.99 Buy It Now 4h 33m
GENESIS In Too Deep/I'd Rather Be With You 45 RPM Atlantic Records W/PS US $7.00 Buy It Now 4h 36m
PETER GABIREL Mini LP Paper Sleeve CD IV 2002 OOP Japan TOCP-66080 GENESIS US $23.70 [0 bids]
Genesis - The Way We Walk, Vol. 2: The Longs - Music CD - Lot 6 US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 46m
PETER GABRIEL Mini LP 2CD Plays Live 2002 Japan TOCP-66081/2 GENESIS US $52.69 [0 bids]
KISS GENESIS GOLDEN EARRING & OTHERS CHAMPIONS RARE ARGENTINA EDIT LP US $42.00 Buy It Now 4h 50m
LP GENESIS ...AND THEN THERE WERE THREE US $11.99 Buy It Now 4h 50m
Genesis by Job for a Cowboy (CD, May-2007, Metal Blade) - Disc Only US $0.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy GENESIS music online Buy GENESIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GENESIS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GENESIS Never a Time ratings distribution

GENESIS Never a Time reviews

Review by Guillermo
2 stars I bought this CD single (or CD EP?) in mid 1994, after buying in 1992 and in 1993 the "The Way We Walk" CDs (Vols. 1 & 2, respectively) and two months before buying the "The Way We Walk - In Concert" Laser Disc of the same tour. At that time, I wanted to complete the songs of the set list that Genesis played on that tour but were not released in those two live CDs from the "We Can`t Dance" tour (but were included in the Laser disc: "Dreaming While Your Sleep" and "Turn It On Again"), and this release was the "Marketing Trick" that completed the set list. Maybe Genesis and their label knew that some Fans like me wanted to have ALL the songs that they played on that tour released on official CDS (years later I knew thanks to the Web that they also played "Carpet Crawlers" once or twice during that tour, so the only way to have this song in my collection was to buy bootlegs, a thing I never did).

So, I think that this CD was released to really promote three albums at the same time, releasing another song from the "We Can`t Dance" as a single ("Never a Time") and two previously unreleased live tracks from the "We Can`t Dance" tour ("Driving While You Sleep" and "Turn It On Again") which were not released in the "The Way We Walk" live CDs, PLUS a previously unreleased on CD Full Live Version of "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight", recorded live during the "Invisible Touch" tour in 1987.

I think that the song "Never a Time" was a good choice for a single then, being another Rock Pop ballad, but with some quality. In fact, it is one of my favourite songs from the "We Can`t Dance" album, with good vocals by Collins and good lyrics too.

The live version of "Driving While You Sleep" is very similar to the studio version, being a good live version which maybe is the same version which was released in the "The Way We Way- In Concert" Laser Disc. It is really hard to listen to differences between both live versions. I know that in the "Archives 1976-92" Box Set there is another live version of this song, but as I still don`t have this Box Set, I can`t say if it is the same live version which was released in this "Never a Time" CD single.

The live version of "Turn It On Again" is somewhat different to the live version which was released in the "Three Sides Live" album in 1982. First, the sound of the piano is different, with a more "digitally updated" sound. Also Collins`vocals sound different due to the passing of time. It is also hard to say how different is this live version from the live version which was released in the Laser Disc. They sound very similar, but the main difference is that Collins, during that song in the Laser disc version, introduced all the members of the band by the middle of the song. The live version released in this CD maybe was edited, because the presentation of the members of the band is not included.

In 1989 I recorded from the Radio in a cassette excerpts from a a concert recorded during the "Invisible Touch" Tour ( in October 1986 at the Forum, in Los Angeles, as I read years later on the Web). Being this 1986 live version of "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" very good, I wanted to have an official live recording of the Full Version recorded during that tour released on CD. So, another "hook" to buy this CD was this 1987 live version. The live version released in the Vol. 1 of the "The Way We Walk" CD is shorter and played in a lower tone to help Collins sing this song. Maybe the real reason to release this live version recorded in 1987 was to "explain in sound" why Genesis played the song in a lower tone and in a shorter lenght in their 1992 tour: Collins couldn`t reach anymore the very high notes which this song has in several parts. This 1987 version is not as good as the live version which I have from The Forum, because Collins, while singing without problems all the verses of the song in 1986, by the end of the tour, in mid 1987, he couldn`t reach the high notes (maybe by that time his voice was tired, because the "Invisible Touch" tour had many concert dates). This live version sounds very similar to the live version which was released in the "Invisible Touch Tour" video (filmed at Wembley Stadium in July 1987), so maybe it is the same version. Chester Thompson shines playing very good drums in this song, but his playing is also better in the version which was recorded at The Forum.

This "Never a Time" CD single was released in different versions in several countries. The U.S. version, which I also saw in the record shop didn`t have the Full Live Version of "Tonight...". So I bought the version which I review here, with my CD copy saying "Made in Holland" in the Disc`s label.

This CD is mainly for Collectors. It is a good CD, but not essential for the Fans who don`t like the music that Genesis composed as a Trio.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#98444) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 12, 2006

2 stars A friend of mine loaned me this and I managed to listen to it 3 times through so I could give a legitimate review. This release contains about 25 minutes of music, both studio and live. All is from the 80-90's poppier Genesis trio. "Never a Time" is the first track here and it is a typical Phi ... (read more)

Report this review (#280841) | Posted by mohaveman | Friday, May 07, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GENESIS "Never a Time"