ALL IS VIOLENT, ALL IS BRIGHT

God Is An Astronaut All is Violent, All is Bright album cover

Buy GOD IS AN ASTRONAUT Music
Studio Album, released in 2005

1. Fragile (4:34)
2. All is Violent, All is Bright (4:14)
3. Forever Lost (6:22)
4. Fire Flies and Empty Skies (3:55)
5. A Deafening Distance (3:49)
6. Infinite Horizons (2:28)
7. Suicide by Star (4:38)
8. Remembrance Day (4:16)
9. Dust and Echoes (4:13)
10. When Everything Dies (10:00)

Search GOD IS AN ASTRONAUT All is Violent, All is Bright lyrics

Search GOD IS AN ASTRONAUT All is Violent, All is Bright tabs

- Torsten Kinsella / guitars, vocals, keyboards
- Neils Kinsella / bass, guitars, visuals
- Lloyd Hanney / drums, synthesizers

Thanks to goldenspiral for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

GOD IS AN ASTRONAUT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GOD IS AN ASTRONAUT All is Violent, All is Bright Music

More places to buy GOD IS AN ASTRONAUT music online Buy GOD IS AN ASTRONAUT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GOD IS AN ASTRONAUT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GOD IS AN ASTRONAUT All is Violent, All is Bright ratings distribution

GOD IS AN ASTRONAUT All is Violent, All is Bright reviews

Review by chamberry
4 stars God is an Astronaut is a three man army that make "heavenly" instrumental post-rock witch consists of the usual guitar/ bass/ drums sound, but adding to it synth effects to their sound and I mean a lot of synth effects witch is the main attraction in their sound.

Their songs are very catchy and rather short (only two song pass the 5 minute mark) making their sound accessible and easy to digest for normal mainstream listeners and prog heads without the need of extra patience most bands of the genre require. Their sound is energetic and very melodic with the center of attention being shared with the guitar or the piano. Thanks to the synth effects and lovely piano work they make you feel like you're flying above the clouds and enjoying the view and feeling the breeze, but then all of the beauty stops and the energy in their sound start to show off with bombastic playing by the members of the band will still having that melodic edge and that's when you hit the ground hard, but instead of feeling painful it's really fun and enjoyable and you just want to do it again. Not all of the songs in the album follow the crescendo formula Godspeed uses and that's a good thing. Highlights of the album are "All is Violent, all is Bright" (great and fierce drumming near the end), the beautiful "Forever Lost" and the dynamic "Suicide by Star". The rest of the song follow closely behind this ones. So the album has a nice balance and there aren't bad songs.

This is a very accessible album and have a mainstream feel to it, but don't let that keep you from enjoying them. The drawback of the album is that the magic wears off after repeated listening. The effects won't sound as ear blowing as the first times and that's when the album settles. I don't think that it would be an excellent addition to any prog collection, but it is an excellent addition to any post-rock collection. So if you're into the genre or just starting out, go and get All is Violent, all is Bright. It'll win your heart from the first listen.

Send comments to chamberry (BETA) | Report this review (#99834) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Review by Tristan Mulders
4 stars God is an Astronaut - All is violent, all is bright

It was only fairly recent that I discovered this album. I read a lot of positive comments on them and decided to check upon them as soon as possible. This eventually meant that I obtained a copy of their 2005 studio album 'All is Violent, All is Bright', which is what this review will be all about.

This 48 minutes lasting, 10 tracks comprising album is a full-blown instrumental and all the songs included here are epic soundscapes, which on occasions share resemblances with Sigur Rs and Godspeed! You black Emperor, whereas on other moments they distinctly remind me of the epic space rockers of British bands Oceansize and Amplifier.

If this album resembles their typical sound, then I cannot wait to get my hands on the other items included in their discography. Breathy synthesizers accompany the melodic guitar segments and the drummer creates a great foundation for the others to work on freely.

The link to Sigur Rs wasn't made only because the compositions remind me of some of their work, but also because the vocals here are, just like those of Sigur Rs vocalist Jnsi Birgission's, used as an important aspect of the composition. they are in fact an instrument for the band to use!

I find that time flies by when I listen to this album, the various melodies are not too complicated, for prog rock standards that is, but the overall combination of the various instruments, the spacey atmosphere, the variation in melodies, chords, pace etc. just make me really appreciate this album. What impressed me a lot was the use of drum computers on a couple of tracks, without losing the epic sound that they manage to create song upon song upon song. I cannot wait to replay the album when the closing track When everything dies has ended, indicating that the last 48 minutes, yet again, flew by without realising it was that long a time.

In short: you like heavy distorted walls of sound? You like spacey, breathy keyboards, you like intensive but laidback drumming? You like melodic as well as distorted guitars? --> Listen to this!

Send comments to Tristan Mulders (BETA) | Report this review (#108241) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 21, 2007

Review by Fight Club
4 stars God is an Astronaut is a three-piece instrumental post-rock band reminiscent of artists such as Explosions in the Sky and Mono. The songs build up from tranquil ambiance to blistering intensity throughout the whole album. It's quite a beautiful piece of music I have to say and I've been addicted to it for about a week or two now. Everything is very catchy, but also has a lot of feeling. If you listen to Explosions in the Sky, whose music is also featured in Friday Night Lights, you'll know what I'm talking about.

For anyone not familiar with their sound, imagine taking some epic electronic movie soundtrack or something and adding some tasty guitar with lots of reverb. The music here is never complex, and sticks to just making some nice melodies. So if you want to relax and enjoy some nice thinking music, try this.

Send comments to Fight Club (BETA) | Report this review (#142443) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 06, 2007

4 stars This Irish trio make some of the most beautiful Post-Rock music I have ever heard. Melodic soundscapes with synths washing over them constantly. The sound doesn't slowly build like many Post-Rock bands, rather the build ups happen quickly, usually in a couple of minutes. There isn't a bad song on this album.

"Fragile" builds quickly although it reaches another level after 2 1/2 minutes and calms down as it ends. "All Is Violent, All Is Bright" is another song that builds fairly fast. The drums are really active after 3 minutes as the sound again reaches another level. "Forever Lost" is one of my favourites. Just a beautiful sounding song with piano and synths leading the way. "Fire Flies And Empty Skies" opens with guitar as drums come pounding in. A fuller sound arrives before a minute before the song relaxes again. This contrast of soft and loud continues. "A Deafening Distance" is another one I like a lot. The first 2 1/2 minutes are very pleasant sounding and then it becomes much more powerful.

"Infinite Horizons" is another gorgeous song with the atmospheric guitar and synths. "Suicide By Star" features some upfront drumming as the sound becomes full 3 minutes in. It gets intense a minute later. "Remembrance Day" opens with what sounds like the wind as piano comes in. Synths 1 1/2 minutes in followed by drums, then a full sound 3 minutes in. "Dust And Echoes" is another favourite. Guitar, synths and drums as the song builds. It calms down a minute later to end it. "When Everything Dies" opens with reserved piano melodies and synths. More energy and sound before 3 minutes. Drums and piano lead the way a minute later.

A very enjoyable and positive experience. Not complex by any means, just great music that you can relax to.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#160087) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 28, 2008

Review by Dim
4 stars Forever lost...

How can one song be so simple, but at the same time be so emotive, beautiful, dark, happy, amazing, and incredible at the same time? If you want to check out this album, get it for just this song, this is the suppers ready for electronic post rock, IT'S THAT GOOD!

Anyways, on to my unbiased review, I really want to give this album three stars, but I'm having too much trouble doing that. Though some of the songs are kind of samey, and towards the end there is a bit of monotony, really this is a friggin' solid album. Filled with memorable melodies, riffs, beats, and everything else post rawk is supposed to be about, though I wont go far enough o say it's a masterpiece.

The based AROUND the guitar, not based on the guitar! The guitar will usually start a nice arpeggio, or chord progression, than the keyboards, and eerie My Bloody valentine-ish vocals will come in, followed by acoustic drums making a very solid electronic beat. These, unlike most post rock, go on through a more... erm... standardized song structure, where the songs will go Loud, soft, Loud, BRIDGE, Loud, Soft. I know scary, but I guess that's why they are among one of the most commercially successful post bands out there (next to Explosions in the sky, and Sigur ros) even with a hit from the album, the opener Fragile, which ironically does follow a more standard post rock song structure, with the huge ending climax.

This album is a great album for the people who have trouble with the more inaccessible greats such as Godspeed You! Black emperor, or some of the weirder experimental stuff like Tortoise. This is very easy listening catchy post rock, plain and simple, and a great starter for anyone into the genre. The music is slow and emotional, but isn't long, and drawn out, or overly experimental. At the same time though, I can understand why some super post rock fanboys wouldn't like theses guys for that, or why some hard core proggers would bash the group for these trends. Well, I guess you can put me in both of these factions, and I love the music, therefore I recommend anyone who's not afraid of simplicity, electronic, or instrumental music a go at this amazing collection of music. Four stars for God is an Astronauts All is violent, all is bright.

Send comments to Dim (BETA) | Report this review (#173874) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 13, 2008

Review by The T
4 stars I've never seen an album get so similar ratings by all members: all of them have given this record 4 stars. And, for once, I can't help to absolutely agree.

GOD IS AN ASTRONAUT has really surprised me. It's no secret that post-rock has serious problems with me: its too-long songs which consist of mostly one theme altered dynamically over time with crescendos that almost invariably end in a huge climax, all of this played in the same tempo, have never been my thing. I found a post-rock record I like a few months ago, and now I can say I've found another that even beats that one and becomes my favorite in this genre.

The great thing about "All is Violent, All is Bright" is that it plays to the strengths of the genre and not to the weaknesses (in my opinion of course). The songs (well, tracks, as none of them are actually sung) are very short, averaging about 4 and a half minutes each. In that short amount of time, it's much easier to accept that the idea of just one melody/theme being played repeatedly is enough to create a song. It helps and a lot that the melodies/themes that GOD IS AN ASTRONAUT comes up with are of the utmost beauty.

Another strong point of this record are the textures, the harmonies that can be found under the main melodic discourse. It has always been one of the good things about this genre, and in this recording the idea gets a perfect treatment. Layer after layer of guitars create a wonderful sonic world, populated by tons of colors that help magic emerge.

The tempos, also, are varied and never get repetitive. Next to slow tracks we have faster ones. The same can be said about the mood of the album. Such an atmospheric record as this never gets depressing, as many other albums in this genre do.

In general, "All is Violent, All is Bright" never sounds like it's trying too hard to be "modern" or "unique". The music, played with great skill by the excellent performers, is just what it needs to be. I thought of giving this album a perfect rating but I think that a little more thematic-melodic variation within tracks would have been welcome. Think of this rating as a 4.49.

Excellent record. One of the most atmospheric and magical I've heard in a long time.

Send comments to The T (BETA) | Report this review (#176116) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 04, 2008

Review by philippe
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Content Development & Krautrock Team
2 stars If Canada is the most notorious country in indie-post rockin instru bands, Ireland seems to have fund its own figure under the name God is an astronaut. All is Violent, All is Bright provides basic pop orientated pieces with some slow moving textures and delicate-subjective melodies into it. The atmospheres are supposed to be moody, plaintive and serene. However the result is rather cheap and amateurish, including common rules and pop-ish conventions. I must admit that those superficial sides are almost constant in the so called post (math) rock scene: bands are surfing on intimate, sleepy and intropective sound territories but they always fail to reach sonic-cinematic landscapes, probably because this music is functional and made by teenagers for teenagers. This is radio friendly music specialised in soporific reveries. The accent is put on easy-listening emotional rockin sequences. All is Violent, All is Bright is the perfect combination between pop-ambient and peaceful-generical background music for teenages' road movies. If you feel romantic, this is the album to play in order to seduce your teenage girl. God is an astronaut gives you the illusion to fly away but it remains a sterile escaping without comunion with anything that are beyond our understanding. Nevertheless a few marginal-post rock combos deserve a listen (Deaf Center, Machinefabriek, Jasper TX's a darkness. If I'm not wrong none of them is mentionned in the archives).

Send comments to philippe (BETA) | Report this review (#213752) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 04, 2009

Review by Warthur
4 stars God Is an Astronaut's All Is Violent, All Is Bright combines the stark and emotionally devastated soundscapes of Godspeed You Black Emperor or Mogwai with delicate piano work reminiscent of Sigur Ros to create a post-rock sound which is very much rooted in what by 2005 had become fairly well-established traditions of the subgenre - but though their post-rock approach is slightly cliched, they pull it off so well that I can't bring myself to hold it against them. And truth be told, the band find enough new twists to add to the old formula that I think they get away with using it.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#679714) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 23, 2012

2 stars This is the first album I listened to by God is An Astronaut, and I think I won't dig any deeper in their discography. The whole album (with the exception of the title track) sounds like they are trying to be very deep, but they are just using some spacey sounds and some repetitive (though sometimes ... (read more)

Report this review (#546773) | Posted by Turillazzo | Sunday, October 09, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Though I am a relatively new- and late-comer to the "Post Rock/Math Rock" and seemingly related "Experimental/Post Metal" Progressive Rock sub-genres, I am fascinated and enjoying these two areas immensely. IMO, here is where "progress" is truly being made in music--where boundaries are being c ... (read more)

Report this review (#277034) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Friday, April 09, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars God is an Astronaut are not a post-rock band in the vein of Explosions in the Sky or Godspeed You! Black Emperors. The latter have generally quite long tracks and no discernible tune of riff. That doesn't make them bad. God is an Astronaut is a much more straightforward form of instrumental roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#210113) | Posted by Una Laguna | Saturday, April 04, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars God Is an Astronaut are an instrumental three piece hailing from the Glen of the Downs, Co. Wicklow, Ireland. They formed in 2002 and released their debut album The End of the Beginning (2002) on their own Revive Records label. Their two music videos for PlayThe End of the Beginning and PlayFrom D ... (read more)

Report this review (#183865) | Posted by TRIFIVE5000 | Saturday, September 27, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 4.5 stars really. This is an excellent post-rock album. It is not experimental or groundbreaking. There are no 20 minute epics here. The album contains shorter dynamic tracks. It reminds me of Explosions in the Sky except that GIAA uses more keyboards and less guitars than EITS. The drums s ... (read more)

Report this review (#180801) | Posted by digdug | Monday, August 25, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars God is an astronaut is, for me, one of the most innovative and gifted bands. I don't know what it is exactly that make them stand out over the huge pile of generic, repetitive and boring post rock. The album opens with Fragile, a beautiful song which draws you in completely with it's stunning a ... (read more)

Report this review (#140700) | Posted by JNec | Wednesday, September 26, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars 5 stars. In the Experimental/Post Rock genre these guys are masters. Explosions in the Sky is another excellent band working the same general area but their overall sound is less dynamic, more reserved and contemplative than God is an Astronaut's. Now, to the album. I like this album bett ... (read more)

Report this review (#109292) | Posted by Schizoid Man | Monday, January 29, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GOD IS AN ASTRONAUT "All is Violent, All is Bright"