ZIDANE: A 21ST CENTURY PORTRAIT

Good, but non-essential

Buy MOGWAI Music
Studio Album, released in 2006

1. Black Spider (5:02)
2. Terrific Speech 2 (4:06)
3. Wake Up And Go Berserk (4:45)
4. Terrific Speech (4:45)
5. 7:25 (5:11)
6. Half Time (6:49)
7. I Do Have Weapons (4:15)
8. Time and a Half (5:56)
9. It Would Have Happened Anyway (2:34)
10. Black Spider 2 (4:12)

Search MOGWAI Zidane: a 21st Century Portrait lyrics

Search MOGWAI Zidane: a 21st Century Portrait tabs

- Stuart Braithwaite / guitar
- Dominic Aitchison / bass guitar
- Martin Bulloch / drums
- John Cummings / guitar
- Barry Burns / piano, guitar, organ

Released by Wall Of Sound in the UK, PIAS internationally
Soundtrack for the film "Zidane, un portrait du 21e siècle"

Thanks to fishsquire for the addition

MOGWAI MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MOGWAI Zidane: a 21st Century Portrait Music

Come on Die YoungCome on Die Young
Matador Records 1999
Hardcore Will Never Die But You WillHardcore Will Never Die But You Will
Sub Pop 2011
Special Moves (CD + DVD)Special Moves (CD + DVD)
+1 Records 2010
Happy Songs for Happy PeopleHappy Songs for Happy People
Play It Again Sam UK 2003
Come on Die YoungCome on Die Young
Chemikal Underground 2014
(CO430) Mogwai, San Pedro - 2011 DJ CD US $4.88 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Young Team - Mogwai New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $18.29 Buy It Now 3h 53m
4 Satin [Jetset] [EP] by Mogwai (CD, Aug-1998, Jet Set Records US $2.00 [0 bids]
4h
Deep End CD Select Magazine Mogwai Slipknot Lambchop US $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 11m
Mogwai : Young Team (2CDs) (2008) US $10.91 Buy It Now 10h 54m
Mogwai - Wrenched Virile Lore CD US $24.13 Buy It Now 12h 22m
Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will Dlcd LP Vinyl Record US $26.11 Buy It Now 12h 43m
Mogwai - Les Revenants Soundtrack Import-UK Vinyl Record LP US $41.02 Buy It Now 12h 43m
Mogwai - Young Team - CHEM106CD US $13.63 Buy It Now 13h 47m
Mogwai - Les Revenants - ROCKACT74CD US $11.92 Buy It Now 14h 10m
Mogwai - EP + 6 MINI LP JAPAN CD SEALED K471 US $16.99 [0 bids]
Mogwai - Come on die young - TECI-21204 MINI LP JAPAN CD SEALED K474 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Mogwai - A WRENCHED VIRILE LORE CD [2012] US $6.74 Buy It Now 15h 13m
MOGWAI rave tapes CD 10 track CD in die cut card sleeve with insert (rockact80cd US $17.95 Buy It Now 15h 32m
MOGWAI - Kicking A Dead Pig (2-CD album set) JAPAN CD SEALED K518 US $16.99 [0 bids]
Gremlins Record&Book"The GIFTof the MOGWAI" Story1 1984 US $9.99 Buy It Now 17h 36m
Mogwai tour poster Rave tape Newcastle Jan 14' Extremely Ltd to venue US $13.06 [0 bids]
MOGWAI Rave Tapes CD + Vinyl LP + Cassette + 7'' + Coloured 12" Box NEW US $106.06 Buy It Now 18h 14m
MOGWAI - RAVE TAPES - ROCKACT80CD US $14.94 Buy It Now 18h 52m
Mogwai - Mr Beast [CD New] US $14.16 Buy It Now 18h 53m
Mogwai - Come On Die Young (Deluxe Edition 2014) US $16.25 Buy It Now 19h 6m
MOGWAI : LES REVENANTS. PROMO CD US $4.90 [0 bids]
MOGWAI - HARDCORE WILL NEVER DIE BUT YOU WILL NEW CD US $24.49 Buy It Now 21h 4m
A Wrenched Virile Lore [Digipak] by Mogwai (CD, Dec-2012, Sub Pop (USA) US $5.62 Buy It Now 21h 39m
MOGWAI**HARDCORE WILL NEVER DIE, BUT YOU WILL**CD US $14.85 Buy It Now 22h
MIAMI VICE RARE NEW SEALED ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK CD! MOBY MOGWAI US $19.51 Buy It Now 22h 37m
MOGWAI**WRENCHED VIRILE LORE**CD US $14.85 Buy It Now 22h 38m
The Zephyrs - When the Sky Comes Down... (CD album 2001) - Shoegaze, Mogwai US $7.35 Buy It Now 22h 38m
MOGWAI**TEN RAPID**CD US $12.88 Buy It Now 22h 39m
Caspian - Tertia - RARE OOP NM Opaque Maroon 1st mogwai explosions in the sky US $24.99 [0 bids]
MOGWAI**EARTH DIVISION (EP)**CD US $8.49 Buy It Now 23h 16m
Gifts From Enola ?- Loyal Eyes Betrayed The Mind RARE NM 250 ONLY mogwai ISIS US $24.99 [0 bids]
MOGWAI**HARDCORE WILL NEVER DIE BUT YOU WILL**2 CD SET US $17.15 Buy It Now 23h 41m
Beware Of Safety ?- Dogs - RARE OOP NM Pilsner mogwai exsplosions in the sky '08 US $24.99 [0 bids]
MOGWAI - TEN RAPID [MOGWAI] - NEW CD US $11.43 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai - HARDCORE WILL NEVER DIE, BUT YOU WILL CD [2011] US $7.12 Buy It Now 1 day
Bardo Pond "Batholith" 2x LP OOP Sealed 500 mg Yo La Tengo Mogwai Bailter Space US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai - HAPPY SONGS FOR HAPPY PEOPLE - original 1st issue 2003 MATADOR LP - NM+ US $21.71 [5 bids]
MOGWAI**EARTH DIVISION (EP W/DOWNLOAD)**LP US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI | MY FATHER MY KING | CD | FREE SHIPPING! US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Flying Saucer Attack "Land Beyond the Sun" 7" Mogwai Labradford AMP Stereolab US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SIGUR ROS kveikur SEALED LTD Deluxe 2-LP & 10" +mp3 explosions in the sky mogwai US $23.33 Buy It Now 1 day
Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will [Digipak] by Mogwai (CD, Feb-2011, Sub... US $9.26 Buy It Now 1 day
Mono Walking Cloud And Deep 2LP post rock explosions in the sky mogwai US $9.99 [0 bids]
The Hawk Is Howling [Slipcase] by Mogwai (CD, Sep-2008, Matador (record label)) US $10.54 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai- Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will CD US $10.90 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI kicking a dead pig 12" Mint- TWA13LP Vinyl 1998 Record US $13.50 Buy It Now 1 day
FABULOUS SHIT*various artists*1999 UK CD*aphex twin*mogwai*thurston moore*rothko US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
CRAIG ARMSTRONG cd AS IF TO NOTHING bono U2 mogwai photek King Crimson Dando US $8.99 [0 bids]
Mogwai - Ten Rapid USA Advance Promo CD 1997 Mega Rare US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI Come on die young 1999 US 2LP Vinyl Iggy Pop Post rock US $94.99 Buy It Now 1 day
VA CHEM087 CD + DVD JAPAN CD ARAB STRAP MOGWAI INTERPOL US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai - Rave Tapes (CD 2014) US $14.61 Buy It Now 1 day
Earth Division - Mogwai New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $8.20 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI**SPECIAL MOVES/LIVE IN BROOKLYN, NY '09**2CD US $17.24 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI**HARDCORE WILL NEVER DIE, BUT YOU WILL**2LP US $19.91 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI**RAVE TAPES**VINYL US $17.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai - A Wrenched Virile Lore - 10 Track US $4.72 [1 bids]
MOGWAI Friend Of The Night / Fresh Crown 7" single US $9.72 Buy It Now 1 day
The Deep End CD - Moby - Primal Scream - Eels - Mogwai - Elliott Smith - Clinic US $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai VINYL 2x LP Zidane A 21st Century Portrait RECORD ( Happy Songs People US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI Fear Satan Remixes + Kicking a Dead Pig - 13 track 1998 US Double CD US $19.50 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI Ten Rapid - 9 track 1997 Jetset US CD - Collected Recordings 1996-1997 US $12.79 Buy It Now 1 day
Happy Songs for Happy People by Mogwai (CD, May-2003, PIAS) US $8.55 Buy It Now 1 day
Abe Vigoda x/100 PURPLE VINYL Crush LP ( Not Mogwai Pixies Minus The Bear Foals US $45.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Rock Action, Mogwai, New US $6.18 Buy It Now 1 day
CODEINE The White Birch PROMO ADVANCE CD Sub Pop SLOWCORE Sadcore mogwai low 94 US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Godspeed You Black Emperor! "F# A# ?" CD RE RM '98 A Silver Mt. Zion Mogwai Mono US $6.99 [0 bids]
MANIC STREET PREACHERS FOREVER DELAYED GREATEST HITS 2X CD MASSIVE ATTACK MOGWAI US $4.07 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI The Hawk Is Howling DIGIPAK! CD SEALED NEW! US $16.18 Buy It Now 2 days
Low "The Great Destroyer" CD '05 Red House Painters Mogwai Labradford Smog Ida US $4.99 [0 bids]
Mr. Beast CD and DVD by Mogwai (Mar-2006, Matador (record label) 2 Disc Set) US $2.00 [0 bids]
Mogwai - My Father My King - 2001 U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $9.72 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai "Kicking A Dead Pig/ Fear Satan Remixes" 1998 Jetset Used 2 x CD US $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Children Book & Record The Gift of the Mogwai Story 1 Gremlins See Hear Read US $6.95 [0 bids]
Lot 2 Childrens Books Record The Gift of the Mogwai & Gizmo and the Gremlins US $7.95 [0 bids]
JETSET In-Flight Entertainment Promo Cd Mogwai Macha Prolapse Black Box Recorder US $2.75 Buy It Now 2 days
Hot Cd Eddie Izzard Mogwai Cornelius Steroleolab Jon Spencer Cuba Delgados Ash US $3.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai : Zidane: a 21st Century Portrait: Original Soundtrack CD (2006) US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai/Magoo "Black Sabbath" 7" OOP Explosions in the Sky Caspian US $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
NME Clean Sweep Live At The London Astoria 98 CD Mogwai US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
NME Spring Offensive CD Cardboard Sebadoh Flaming Lips Suede Mogwai LOW SHIP 3.0 US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
JAMES HOLDEN Dj Kicks 2x LP NEW VINYL K7 Luke Abbott Mogwai Caribou US $25.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI-COME ON DIE YOUNG (DELUXE EDITION)-JAPAN 2 CD Ltd/Ed D95 US $22.99 Buy It Now 2 days
CD MOGWAI MY FATHER MY KING ORIGINAL SCOTTISH ROCK RARE US $21.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai - Mr Beast CD US $19.11 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI - KICKING A DEAD PIG NEW CD US $17.58 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai - Young Team CD US $16.83 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai - Ten Rapid CD US $16.83 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will CD SUB POP US $16.20 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI-HARDCORE WILL NEVER DIE BUT YOU WILL-JAPAN 2CDs 0202 H70 US $38.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Ash - Dare to dream UK LIMITED 7" N MOGWAI REMIX RECORD STORE DAY US $16.31 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI Earth Division E.P. Vinyl LP With Download Voucher NEW & SEALED US $19.51 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai - Zidane: A 21st Century Portait (NEW 2 x 12" VINYL LP) US $35.91 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai - EP 12" 1999 Chemical Underground post rock US $40.82 Buy It Now 2 days
65DAYSOFSTATIC RARE LIVE IN HONG KONG PROMO POSTER + FLYER LOT sigur ros mogwai US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
DIRTY THREE CINDER RARE CHINA EDITION CD post rock mogwai sigur ros US $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
DIRTY THREE RARE CINDER HONG KONG TOUR PROMO VIDEO CD post rock mogwai sigur ros US $13.49 Buy It Now 2 days
EF RARE CHINA TOUR PROMO CARD POST ROCK MOGWAI SIGUR ROS US $1.99 Buy It Now 2 days
IMMANU EL HONG KONG LIVE PROMO POSTER AND FLYER LOT sigur ros mogwai US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy MOGWAI music online Buy MOGWAI & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MOGWAI DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MOGWAI Zidane: a 21st Century Portrait ratings distribution

MOGWAI Zidane: a 21st Century Portrait reviews

Review by The T
3 stars After the very good impressions that "Happy Songs for Happy People" and "Mr. Beast" left on me, I had been eagerly waiting for MOGWAI's new album to be released. I didn't know this album/soundtrack was available, but as soon as I found out about it, I bought it. After all, the main "star" here is was my favorite football (soccer) player of the last decade. And I was very interested in hearing what the post- rock band could do with Zidane as main subject of this score.

The results here are mixed. What's clearly obvious from the beginning (but especially in the end) is that this album would fare much better if the movie for which it was created was seen simultaneously. This statement is especially accurate for the last track, the 30-minute "Black Spider 2", which is just a long piece of noise and feedback with some musical touches here and there. I can imagine what this movie is like after listening to its soundtrack. I'm pretty sure it should be very slow, very limited in words or dialogue (if it has any). And I'm sure this soundtrack may fit it like a glove, if it's like I think it is.

The music (which is what I can judge, as I have heard it) is not in the same spirit of MOGWAI's previous album, "Mr. Beast", or even of its predecessor, "Happy Songs (.)" as it's much slower, much more repetitive in tempos and themes, less dynamic . The mood is not depressive, though, but more dream-like. Instead of feeling that we're listening to a collection of tunes written by a depressed, lonely, sad human being, we get the idea that whoever composed this was dreaming, soaring the skies of alpha waves, maybe with the help of opiates or other hallucinogens.

As always, the texturing work is very good. With mostly clean and little-distorted guitars, MOGWAI creates short numbers of extreme depth. The themes are usually weakly developed, which of course it's intentional as it's the main basis of this music: to build upon a theme with texture, harmonics and dynamics in intensity, not so much with changes of melodies and keys. The good news is that the tracks are short (except for the last one), so that they never become tiresome or boring, like those in works by other post-rock artists who love to wander around a single idea for minutes. This has always been MOGWAI's biggest advantage in my point of view, and never it is more evident than here: if some of this dreamy, slow tracks would've lasted longer, the album could've become a real pain to endure. But as it is, it's enjoyable.

3 stars, as the variation in moods and speed is minimal compared with "Mr. Beast", and the tracks less magical than in "Happy Songs (.)". But this is a good album, probably a good soundtrack (we would have to confirm this assertion watching the actual movie) and a decent warm-up to MOGWAI's next real full-length. Add a star if you are a post-rock fan.

Send comments to The T (BETA) | Report this review (#177252) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 18, 2008

Review by UMUR
3 stars Zidane: a 21st Century Portrait is not really the sixth full-lenth studio album by Scottish post rock artist Mogwai. It´s actually a soundtrack album put together within a short timespan on request by artist and film maker Douglas Gordon for his documentary film about French football legend Zinedine Zidane called Zidane, un portrait du 21e siècle. The album mostly consists of new songs but a few re-worked and re-recorded songs from previous releases by Mogwai has also found their way unto the album.

The music on Zidane: a 21st Century Portrait does not feel like a natural successor to Mr. Beast (2006). This sounds more like an album released after Come on Die Young (1999). The music is generally more mellow, repetitive, atmospheric and with a more improvised feel than what we´ve gotten used to with the three preceeding albums Rock Action (2001), Happy Songs for Happy People (2003) and Mr. Beast. Pleasant guitar driven post rock with added piano and organ which is great for the variation is still the style on this album though. There are 10 regular tracks on the album but after the last track Black Spider 2 ends there are a few minutes of silence before a 20 minute ambient drone starts. An unneccesary hidden track if you ask me but some people might enjoy it.

The musicianship is excellent. At this point in their career Mogwai is a well oiled engine.

The production is excellent. A really pleasant and clean sound.

If you normally like Mogwai´s music there´s a good chance you´ll enjoy this album too but I wouldn´t recommend newcomers to start here. It´s a good album and well deserving a BIG 3 star rating, but I do prefer the three more structured predecessors.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#210559) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 06, 2009

Review by EatThatPhonebook
3 stars 6/10

"Zidane:a 21st Century Portrait" has expectedly some low, boring moments, but memorable, standout ones as well.

Soundtracks never really were my thing, although I love when music is well placed in movies, being a movie nerd. But I never bought nor got any soundtrack or original score of a picture. I had to make an exception for this little, surprising gem, "Zidane: A Twentieth Century Portrait"'s soundtrack, written and executed by Post-Rock legends Mogwai. I'm not at all a soccer fan, but I used to be one thus I have a decent knowledge about the sport, and I can easily remember this player as a great one. As far as Mogwai are concerned, this album is better than a few of their actual studio albums in my opinion.

The music is remindful of earlier Mogwai albums such as "Come On Die Young", because of it's "slowcore" influences. However on that album there were vocals, in that case pretty a disappointing addiction to the music in my opinion, while this album is completely instrumental. The music itself is completely mellow, no strong build ups, no sonic explosions, just mellow songs, that have surprisingly catchy and easy melodies. The atmosphere thus is as well very calm, meditative, but also, like it is usual of Mogwai, a bit melancholic and sad.

"Zidane.." has many memorable moments that I enjoyed thoroughly: the two parts of "Black Spider" and "Terrific Speech" have a beautiful tone and memorable melodies that give quite a good atmosphere. However, some moments were dull and boring, especially the last track, the Untitled twenty three minute piece, that is extremely monotonous and just did not appeal to me at all. I also sense the sort of inconsistency there is in many Mogwai albums: the first half is good, the second half most of the time is very forgettable. This also has happened, at least for me, with "Hardcore Will Never Die", "The Hawk Is Howling", and especially "Come On Die Young". Now, "Zidane" is just the same, and my level of enjoyment as a whole of this album is pretty much equal to the mentioned albums, which I found barely decent.

I did not expect much from this album, but it turned out to have some standout points, and some lower ones as well, like predicted. But I overall thought it was a pleasurable experience, maybe too long, or too boring in some points. It could have been better, but I'm not complaining.

Send comments to EatThatPhonebook (BETA) | Report this review (#570807) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 19, 2011

Review by Warthur
2 stars It's little surprise that Mogwai's soundtrack for a biographical documentary on Zidane sounds like a big step backwards for the band - the director apparently showed the band scenes from the film with a remix of Mogwai Fear Satan (from Young Team) playing over it to give them an idea of what sort of material the film called for. It's interesting listening to the band attempt to play once more in the style of Young Team or Come On Die Young, but I rather suspect that the band left that sound behind for a good reason; they've already done all they really wanted to do in that style and, frankly, sound a little bored (and more than a little boring) here.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#719366) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 09, 2012

5 stars It's not possible to fully understand this album of post rock band from Scotland without referring to football and this magic events that took place at 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany (The movie was first screened just before Mundial). Music was never so close with this sport's discipline. The mov ... (read more)

Report this review (#426773) | Posted by rokakuya | Saturday, April 02, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Not necessarily an instant classic but definately one of their better albums. theyre problem has always been that they make brilliant songs but shotty albums and within this sub genre or even just the progressive rock genre that can't really make for a great album. But in this case it perfectly ... (read more)

Report this review (#161910) | Posted by shentile | Saturday, February 16, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars "The initial idea was to make a film which would follow just one character as he journeys through a story", explains Philippe Parreno. "And then the idea came to film just a single player during an entire match. A match lasts the same time as a film. We're both soccer fans. The first and only ... (read more)

Report this review (#102032) | Posted by sularetal | Thursday, December 07, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MOGWAI "Zidane: a 21st Century Portrait"