ZIDANE: A 21ST CENTURY PORTRAIT

Good, but non-essential

Buy MOGWAI Music
Studio Album, released in 2006

1. Black Spider (5:02)
2. Terrific Speech 2 (4:06)
3. Wake Up And Go Berserk (4:45)
4. Terrific Speech (4:45)
5. 7:25 (5:11)
6. Half Time (6:49)
7. I Do Have Weapons (4:15)
8. Time and a Half (5:56)
9. It Would Have Happened Anyway (2:34)
10. Black Spider 2 (4:12)

Search MOGWAI Zidane: a 21st Century Portrait lyrics

Search MOGWAI Zidane: a 21st Century Portrait tabs

- Stuart Braithwaite / guitar
- Dominic Aitchison / bass guitar
- Martin Bulloch / drums
- John Cummings / guitar
- Barry Burns / piano, guitar, organ

Released by Wall Of Sound in the UK, PIAS internationally
Soundtrack for the film "Zidane, un portrait du 21e siècle"

Thanks to fishsquire for the addition

MOGWAI MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MOGWAI Zidane: a 21st Century Portrait Music

Chemikal Underground 2008
MOGWAI friend of the night European promo CD single US $1.00 [0 bids]
Mogwai: Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will CD New US $21.93 Buy It Now 1h 32m
MOGWAI Rock Action Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $30.30 Buy It Now 3h 42m
MOGWAI Earth Division E.P. Vinyl LP With Download Voucher NEW & SEALED US $20.18 Buy It Now 3h 49m
MOGWAI Mr Beast Double Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $31.99 Buy It Now 4h 5m
Mogwai - Kicking A Dead Pig (NEW CD) US $13.91 Buy It Now 5h 2m
Mogwai - Ep + 6 (NEW CD) US $13.91 Buy It Now 5h 2m
Mogwai - The Hawk Is Howling (NEW CD) US $13.07 Buy It Now 5h 2m
MOGWAI-SONGS REWORKED-KICKING A DEAD PIG+FEAR SATAN-RARE 9 TRK PROMO CD-1998 US $3.00 [0 bids]
Mogwai - Rock Action (NEW CD) US $13.91 Buy It Now 5h 55m
Mogwai - Ten Rapid (NEW CD) US $10.53 Buy It Now 6h
MOGWAI Mr. beast 2006 USA ADVNCE PROMO CD MINT OLE681 US $24.99 Buy It Now 6h 5m
Mogwai - Earth Division (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $18.98 Buy It Now 6h 10m
Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But Y (NEW CD) US $15.60 Buy It Now 6h 10m
Mogwai - A Wrenched Virile Lore (NEW CD) US $15.60 Buy It Now 6h 31m
LONGVIEW VS MOGWAI IN A DREAM 7" VINYL ONE SIDED PROMO US $16.87 Buy It Now 6h 35m
Mogwai - Rock Action (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $32.06 Buy It Now 6h 41m
Happy Songs for Happy People by Mogwai Enhanced edition US $65.98 Buy It Now 7h 14m
Mogwai - Young Team - Deluxe Edition (NEW CD) US $13.07 Buy It Now 7h 31m
Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will [Vinyl New] US $23.89 Buy It Now 8h 14m
Mogwai - Kicking A Dead Pig [CD New] US $38.09 Buy It Now 8h 15m
Gremlins The Gift of the Mogwai 33 1/3 RPM US $5.50 Buy It Now 9h 30m
THE GIFT OF THE MOGWAI GREMLINS US $6.99 [0 bids]
Mogwai, Mogwai Audio CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 10h 6m
Mogwai, Kicking a Dead Pig Audio CD US $5.99 Buy It Now 10h 8m
Mogwai, Earth Division EP, LP Vinyl record NM !!!!!!!!!!!!! US $8.00 [0 bids]
MOGWAI ZIDANE ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK BY MOGWAI IMPORT CD SEALED PIAS SEALED US $9.00 [0 bids]
MOGWAI - Mr. BEAST ??? ? ??? BRAND NEW ?????? CD ????? US $9.50 Buy It Now 12h 57m
OST BY MOGWAI: ZIDANE. A 21st CENTURY PORTRAIT ??? ? ??? ?????? CD ????? US $9.50 Buy It Now 13h
Les Revenants by Mogwai (CD, Feb-2013, Rock Action) US $11.68 Buy It Now 13h 45m
MOGWAI "Rave Tapes" LP + 7" - SubPop 2014 - Loser Edition - New US $36.99 Buy It Now 14h 41m
Esben and the Witch - Chorea RSD 12" MOGWAI REMIX US $25.31 Buy It Now 19h 44m
Mogwai Ep + 6 CD (UK Import) NEW US $10.45 Buy It Now 20h 13m
Mogwai Kicking A Dead Pig CD (UK Import) NEW US $10.45 Buy It Now 20h 13m
Mogwai - Earth Division [CD New] US $9.95 Buy It Now 22h 36m
Mogwai - Zidane: A 21st Century Portait NEW CD US $11.16 Buy It Now 23h 12m
Come on Die Young - Mogwai (CD, 1999, Matador) US $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI - Special Moves - CD+DVD US $24.06 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai Earth Division LP NEW US $15.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai Happy Songs For Happy People CD (UK Import) NEW US $11.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai Mr Beast CD (UK Import) NEW US $9.97 Buy It Now 1 day
Explosions in the sky,Mogwai "Gather Your Quiet" Leaves Crowd 7"free shipping! US $8.98 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI - HARDCORE WILL NEVER DIE, BUT YOU WILL - NEW CD BOXSET US $24.71 Buy It Now 1 day
EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY The Rescue CD mogwai MONO caspian LP Sealed! US $60.00 [2 bids]
Mogwai - Zidane - A 21st Century Portait - PIASX067CD US $13.42 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI-EARTH DIVISION EP-JAPAN CD LTD C75 US $20.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai - Rave Tapes [Vinyl New] US $17.84 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai - Rock Action [Vinyl New] US $36.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MANIC STREET PREACHERS REMIX PROMO CD Mogwai STEREOLAB Massive Attack Cornelius US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Logh - A Sunset Panorama CD (Sealed) (Sonic Youth, Mogwai, Swans, Jesu) US $2.00 [0 bids]
MOGWAI Young Team & Kicking a Dead Pig + Fear Satan 2 CD Lot Advance Promo US $9.50 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI-KICKING A DEAD PIG-JAPAN 2 CD D95 zd US $23.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai / Bardo Pond Split 10' RARE limited us tour 2001 pressing US $29.99 [0 bids]
MOGWAI-EP+6-JAPAN CD D95 US $22.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI - ROCK ACTION NEW VINYL US $48.05 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai - Earth Division [Vinyl New] US $22.98 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI Government Commissions: BBC Sessions 1996-2003 CD 2005 Matador Records US $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI - Hardcore Will Never Die - CD Album + Bonus CD *Hardback Book Casing* US $15.18 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI Guitar Tab Software Lesson CD + FREE BONUSES US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
My Father, My King [EP] by Mogwai (CD, Oct-2001, Matador) US $2.00 [0 bids]
Mogwai - A Wrenched Virile Lore 2 x LP Sub Pop Grey Red Vinyl NEW SEALED US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
AUTECHRE THE BOARDS OF CANADA STEREOLAB SEEFEEL MOGWAI APHEX TWIN WARP 2CD US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
4 Satin [Jetset] [EP] by Mogwai (CD, Aug-1998, Jet Set Records US $2.50 [0 bids]
MOGWAI Rock Action [LP] Vinyl 12" US $6.66 [0 bids]
MOGWAI-RAVE TAPES-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK F23 US $28.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Low "The Great Destroyer" CD '05 Red House Painters Mogwai Labradford Smog Ida US $6.99 [0 bids]
FISCHERSPOONER Tone Poem Shaped Hymal Picture Disc Vinyl 221/450 *Mogwai/Electro US $79.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai - Earth Division [CD New] US $5.83 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai - Rave Tapes [CD New] US $10.65 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai, Kicking a Dead Pig Audio CD US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai Rave Tapes Vinyl US $6.44 [3 bids]
MOGWAI-YOUNG TEAM CD NEW US $22.80 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai-Hardcore Will Never Die 2CD set (This CD Only) US $4.49 [0 bids]
Mogwai- Rave Tapes [Deluxe Box Set] CD/ Vinyl LP/ Cassette/ 7"/ Prints/ Book-SS US $128.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI Kicking A Dead Pig + Mogwai Fear Satan - Selected Cuts (1998 US 9-track ) US $7.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI A WRENCHED VIRILE LORE 2 X LP UK ORIGINAL MINT SEALED US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai - Rock Action CD - Rare Promo Advance CD - Matador Records US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai e.p. Cd 4song Promo Chemikal UK post rock 1999 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI THE HAWK IS HOWLING MUSIC CD NEW US $29.71 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI Mr Beast (CD,2006) NEW, NO RESEVE US $12.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will - ROCKACT55CD US $15.97 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai - A Wrenched Virile Lore - ROCKACT72CD US $16.56 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI - Rave Tapes - LP + 1-sided 7" US $37.73 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI - LES REVENANTS [4897028492308] - NEW CD US $19.27 Buy It Now 2 days
Delay Pedal Effector Japan Book Boss Electro Harmonix Mogwai My Bloody Valentine US $99.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Sk/um *I Pagu Fallsins - Resonant LP* Mum Sigur Ros Mogwai Radiohead Slowblow US $5.99 [0 bids]
EARTH Hibernaculum CD+DVD drone rock / post-rock mogwai SUNN pelican barn owl US $15.99 Buy It Now 2 days
My Father My King, Mogwai, Acceptable Single, EP US $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai - Kicking A Dead Pig (Songs Remixed + Fear Satan Remixes) (2xCD) US $10.11 Buy It Now 2 days
Ocean "Here Where Nothing Grows" LP /1000 Boris Mogwai Jesu Isis US $39.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Growing - His Return LP Drone Troubleman Mogwai US $8.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI - KICKING A DEAD PIG: MOGWAI SONGS REMIXED + FEAR SATAN - NEW CD BOXSET US $11.90 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI-YOUNG TEAM DELUXE EDITION-JAPAN 2 CD D95 zd US $23.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI-HAPPY SONGS FOR HAPPY PEOPLE ADVANCE PROMO CD C20 # US $14.47 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI - SPECIAL MOVES - NEW CD BOXSET US $17.22 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI : Rave Tapes DELUXE US Sub Pop Loser edition VINYL LP BOX SEALED US $119.99 [0 bids]
MOGWAI : Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will VINYL 2 LP + 12" + 2 CD BOX SEALED US $69.99 [0 bids]
MOGWAI : Batcat 12" VINYL Roky Erickson US $9.99 [0 bids]
Jesu "Lifeline" CD EP Dgpk '07 Godflesh Final Mogwai Neurosis Isis Envy Pelican US $6.99 [0 bids]
(DQ925) Laki Mera, Crater (Mogwai remix) - 2011 DJ CD US $5.05 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy MOGWAI music online Buy MOGWAI & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MOGWAI DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MOGWAI Zidane: a 21st Century Portrait ratings distribution

MOGWAI Zidane: a 21st Century Portrait reviews

Review by The T
3 stars After the very good impressions that "Happy Songs for Happy People" and "Mr. Beast" left on me, I had been eagerly waiting for MOGWAI's new album to be released. I didn't know this album/soundtrack was available, but as soon as I found out about it, I bought it. After all, the main "star" here is was my favorite football (soccer) player of the last decade. And I was very interested in hearing what the post- rock band could do with Zidane as main subject of this score.

The results here are mixed. What's clearly obvious from the beginning (but especially in the end) is that this album would fare much better if the movie for which it was created was seen simultaneously. This statement is especially accurate for the last track, the 30-minute "Black Spider 2", which is just a long piece of noise and feedback with some musical touches here and there. I can imagine what this movie is like after listening to its soundtrack. I'm pretty sure it should be very slow, very limited in words or dialogue (if it has any). And I'm sure this soundtrack may fit it like a glove, if it's like I think it is.

The music (which is what I can judge, as I have heard it) is not in the same spirit of MOGWAI's previous album, "Mr. Beast", or even of its predecessor, "Happy Songs (.)" as it's much slower, much more repetitive in tempos and themes, less dynamic . The mood is not depressive, though, but more dream-like. Instead of feeling that we're listening to a collection of tunes written by a depressed, lonely, sad human being, we get the idea that whoever composed this was dreaming, soaring the skies of alpha waves, maybe with the help of opiates or other hallucinogens.

As always, the texturing work is very good. With mostly clean and little-distorted guitars, MOGWAI creates short numbers of extreme depth. The themes are usually weakly developed, which of course it's intentional as it's the main basis of this music: to build upon a theme with texture, harmonics and dynamics in intensity, not so much with changes of melodies and keys. The good news is that the tracks are short (except for the last one), so that they never become tiresome or boring, like those in works by other post-rock artists who love to wander around a single idea for minutes. This has always been MOGWAI's biggest advantage in my point of view, and never it is more evident than here: if some of this dreamy, slow tracks would've lasted longer, the album could've become a real pain to endure. But as it is, it's enjoyable.

3 stars, as the variation in moods and speed is minimal compared with "Mr. Beast", and the tracks less magical than in "Happy Songs (.)". But this is a good album, probably a good soundtrack (we would have to confirm this assertion watching the actual movie) and a decent warm-up to MOGWAI's next real full-length. Add a star if you are a post-rock fan.

Send comments to The T (BETA) | Report this review (#177252) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 18, 2008

Review by UMUR
3 stars Zidane: a 21st Century Portrait is not really the sixth full-lenth studio album by Scottish post rock artist Mogwai. It´s actually a soundtrack album put together within a short timespan on request by artist and film maker Douglas Gordon for his documentary film about French football legend Zinedine Zidane called Zidane, un portrait du 21e siècle. The album mostly consists of new songs but a few re-worked and re-recorded songs from previous releases by Mogwai has also found their way unto the album.

The music on Zidane: a 21st Century Portrait does not feel like a natural successor to Mr. Beast (2006). This sounds more like an album released after Come on Die Young (1999). The music is generally more mellow, repetitive, atmospheric and with a more improvised feel than what we´ve gotten used to with the three preceeding albums Rock Action (2001), Happy Songs for Happy People (2003) and Mr. Beast. Pleasant guitar driven post rock with added piano and organ which is great for the variation is still the style on this album though. There are 10 regular tracks on the album but after the last track Black Spider 2 ends there are a few minutes of silence before a 20 minute ambient drone starts. An unneccesary hidden track if you ask me but some people might enjoy it.

The musicianship is excellent. At this point in their career Mogwai is a well oiled engine.

The production is excellent. A really pleasant and clean sound.

If you normally like Mogwai´s music there´s a good chance you´ll enjoy this album too but I wouldn´t recommend newcomers to start here. It´s a good album and well deserving a BIG 3 star rating, but I do prefer the three more structured predecessors.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#210559) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 06, 2009

Review by EatThatPhonebook
3 stars 6/10

"Zidane:a 21st Century Portrait" has expectedly some low, boring moments, but memorable, standout ones as well.

Soundtracks never really were my thing, although I love when music is well placed in movies, being a movie nerd. But I never bought nor got any soundtrack or original score of a picture. I had to make an exception for this little, surprising gem, "Zidane: A Twentieth Century Portrait"'s soundtrack, written and executed by Post-Rock legends Mogwai. I'm not at all a soccer fan, but I used to be one thus I have a decent knowledge about the sport, and I can easily remember this player as a great one. As far as Mogwai are concerned, this album is better than a few of their actual studio albums in my opinion.

The music is remindful of earlier Mogwai albums such as "Come On Die Young", because of it's "slowcore" influences. However on that album there were vocals, in that case pretty a disappointing addiction to the music in my opinion, while this album is completely instrumental. The music itself is completely mellow, no strong build ups, no sonic explosions, just mellow songs, that have surprisingly catchy and easy melodies. The atmosphere thus is as well very calm, meditative, but also, like it is usual of Mogwai, a bit melancholic and sad.

"Zidane.." has many memorable moments that I enjoyed thoroughly: the two parts of "Black Spider" and "Terrific Speech" have a beautiful tone and memorable melodies that give quite a good atmosphere. However, some moments were dull and boring, especially the last track, the Untitled twenty three minute piece, that is extremely monotonous and just did not appeal to me at all. I also sense the sort of inconsistency there is in many Mogwai albums: the first half is good, the second half most of the time is very forgettable. This also has happened, at least for me, with "Hardcore Will Never Die", "The Hawk Is Howling", and especially "Come On Die Young". Now, "Zidane" is just the same, and my level of enjoyment as a whole of this album is pretty much equal to the mentioned albums, which I found barely decent.

I did not expect much from this album, but it turned out to have some standout points, and some lower ones as well, like predicted. But I overall thought it was a pleasurable experience, maybe too long, or too boring in some points. It could have been better, but I'm not complaining.

Send comments to EatThatPhonebook (BETA) | Report this review (#570807) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 19, 2011

Review by Warthur
2 stars It's little surprise that Mogwai's soundtrack for a biographical documentary on Zidane sounds like a big step backwards for the band - the director apparently showed the band scenes from the film with a remix of Mogwai Fear Satan (from Young Team) playing over it to give them an idea of what sort of material the film called for. It's interesting listening to the band attempt to play once more in the style of Young Team or Come On Die Young, but I rather suspect that the band left that sound behind for a good reason; they've already done all they really wanted to do in that style and, frankly, sound a little bored (and more than a little boring) here.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#719366) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 09, 2012

5 stars It's not possible to fully understand this album of post rock band from Scotland without referring to football and this magic events that took place at 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany (The movie was first screened just before Mundial). Music was never so close with this sport's discipline. The mov ... (read more)

Report this review (#426773) | Posted by rokakuya | Saturday, April 02, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Not necessarily an instant classic but definately one of their better albums. theyre problem has always been that they make brilliant songs but shotty albums and within this sub genre or even just the progressive rock genre that can't really make for a great album. But in this case it perfectly ... (read more)

Report this review (#161910) | Posted by shentile | Saturday, February 16, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars "The initial idea was to make a film which would follow just one character as he journeys through a story", explains Philippe Parreno. "And then the idea came to film just a single player during an entire match. A match lasts the same time as a film. We're both soccer fans. The first and only ... (read more)

Report this review (#102032) | Posted by sularetal | Thursday, December 07, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MOGWAI "Zidane: a 21st Century Portrait"