SINGULARITY

Peter Hammill

Peter Hammill Singularity album cover

Buy PETER HAMMILL Music
Studio Album, released in 2006

1. Our eyes give it shape (4:33)
2. Event horizon (6:03)
3. Famous last words (5:50)
4. Naked to the flame (5:26)
5. Meanwhile my mother (4:30)
6. Vainglorious boy (5:11)
7. Of wire, of wood (1:34)
8. Friday afternoon (5:04)
9. White Dot (6:22)

Search PETER HAMMILL Singularity lyrics

Search PETER HAMMILL Singularity tabs

- Peter Hammill / all instruments, vocals

Fie! 9131

Thanks to aRt Pokojski for the addition
and to aRt Pokojski for the last updates

PETER HAMMILL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PETER HAMMILL Singularity Music

ClutchClutch
FIE 2002
Enter KEnter K
Fie 2002
5012981220327 Sitting Targets by Peter Hammill (1994) - CD - FAST POST US $8.96 Buy It Now 1h 45m
PETER HAMMILL - WHAT, NOW? [5023522912328] - NEW CD US $23.26 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Peter Hammill - Black Box [CD New] US $9.24 Buy It Now 2h 21m
5012981106720 Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night by Peter Hammill - MINT CD US $12.88 Buy It Now 3h 42m
Peter Hammill & the K Group - The Margin 2x LP NM UK Foundry FONDL 1 US $16.99 Buy It Now 4h 18m
@PETER HAMMILL/SKIN/JAPAN MINI LP CD US $26.80 Buy It Now 7h 52m
PETER HAMMILL Fool's Mate lp Van Der Graaf US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 29m
Peter Hammill - Black Box CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 17h
Peter Hammill - This CD US $17.89 Buy It Now 17h 47m
X My Heart, Peter Hammill, Very Good Original recording remastered US $17.56 Buy It Now 18h 20m
PETER HAMMILL the love songs CD Van der Graaf Generator US $11.99 Buy It Now 20h 3m
PETER HAMMILL / GARY LUCAS other world LP 10 track with lyric inner sleeve (eant US $37.53 Buy It Now 20h 56m
CD Double: Peter Hammill : In The Passionskirche Berlin US $22.43 Buy It Now 1 day
PETER HAMMILL - A BLACK BOX - S-TYPE RECORDS-LP/Vinyl/Record US $0.99 [1 bids]
PETER HAMMILL - SITTING TARGETS - PVC - 1981-LP/Vinyl/Record US $0.99 [0 bids]
PETER HAMMILL - AND CLOSE AS THIS - ENGMA - 1986-LP/Vinyl/Record US $0.99 [1 bids]
PETER HAMMILL - PATIENCE - 1983 NAIVE-LP/Vinyl/Record US $0.99 [1 bids]
PETER HAMMILL - THE LOVE SONGS- 1984 - UK IMPORT-LP/Vinyl/Record US $0.99 [0 bids]
PETER HAMMILL - IN CAMERA - CAS1089-LP/Vinyl/Record US $0.99 [1 bids]
PETER HAMMILL - ENTER K - 1982 MERCURY BLUE LABEL-LP/Vinyl/Record US $0.99 [1 bids]
PETER HAMMILL love songs LP 10 track with inner (8224491) uk mercury 1984 US $19.93 Buy It Now 1 day
PETER HAMMILL VISION LP RECORD ROCK MUSIC CHARISMA RECORDS PROGRESSIVE ROCK US $4.99 [0 bids]
Peter Hammill pH7 vinyl LP album record UK CAS1146 CHARISMA 1979 US $26.04 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Pawn Hearts UK Prog ORIG '71 PINK Label Lp PETER HAMMILL US $199.99 Buy It Now 1 day
music and rhythm 2lp vinyl peter hammill xtc US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Peter Hammill - Over [CD New] US $11.55 Buy It Now 2 days
Peter Hammill - Chameleon In The Shadow Of The Night [CD New] US $11.81 Buy It Now 2 days
PETER HAMMILL singularity UK CD VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR LY91 US $8.09 Buy It Now 2 days
PETER HAMMILL A Black Box SEALED Original UK pressing, 1980 s type 1, prog rock US $55.00 Buy It Now 2 days
PETER HAMMILL & THE K-GROUP Firenze 1981 CD US $25.00 [1 bids]
Peter Hammill - Fool's Mate (2005 Virgin EMI remaster - Includes 5 Bonus Tracks US $10.95 Buy It Now 2 days
PETER HAMMILL:Farewell My Lovely-U.S. LP Enald Records 8764 PCV,Live Montreal 77 US $64.98 Buy It Now 2 days
X My Heart by Peter Hammill (CD, May-1996, Discipline) Van Der Graaf Generator US $6.00 Buy It Now 2 days
PETER HAMMILL Vision IMP 1016 1975 Prog Rock Vinyl Lp N/Mint- US $19.98 Buy It Now 2 days
PETER HAMMILL - Skin CD 2007 Remastered +1 BONUS US $9.80 Buy It Now 2 days
RARE and VERY CHEAP Van Der Graaf Generator. Peter Hammill.In Camera.Exc. lp. US $10.00 [0 bids]
SUPER RAREST Van Der Graaf Generator. Peter Hammill.Out of Water.Excellent lp. US $10.00 [0 bids]
PETER HAMMILL - WHAT NOW NEW CD US $31.28 Buy It Now 2 days
PETER HAMMILL - OVER NEW CD US $16.45 Buy It Now 2 days
Peter Hammill - Chameleon In The Shadow Of The Night CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Peter Hammill - Over CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
PETER HAMMILL - CHAMELEON IN THE SHADOW OF THE NIGHT NEW CD US $16.45 Buy It Now 2 days
PETER HAMMILL - BLACK BOX NEW CD US $16.45 Buy It Now 2 days
PETER HAMMILL / GARY LUCAS - OTHER WORLD NEW CD US $23.87 Buy It Now 2 days
Peter Hammill - Nadir's Big Chance CD BARGAIN!! CLASSIC!! FREE!! UK 24-HR POST!! US $13.04 Buy It Now 2 days
Other World * by Gary Lucas (Guitar)/Peter Hammill (CD, Feb-2014, Esoteric... US $18.29 Buy It Now 2 days
Peter Hammill ?- The Essential Collection Rare Spartan Records ?- spdcd 1 CD US $22.84 Buy It Now 2 days
PETER HAMMILL Black Box '80 S Type UK import in shrink M- looks unplayed US $40.00 Buy It Now 3 days
PETER HAMMILL Skin USA 2nd Press Vinyl LP Record ENIGMA 1986 EX/EX VAN DER GRAAF US $11.41 [0 bids]
PETER HAMMILL A Black Box DUTCH 1stPress Vinyl LP MERCURY 6302067 1980 VG++/VG++ US $9.78 [0 bids]
80s ROCK 45 RPM w/PICTURE SLEEVE - PETER HAMMILL - NAIVE 3 - "PARADOX DRIVE" US $6.50 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR PETER HAMMILL Theme One / W GERMAN 7"PS 1972 NEAR MINT! US $49.99 [1 bids]
Peter Hammill & K Group: The Margin(Live) 2xLP UK Van der Graaf Generator US $15.99 Buy It Now 3 days
PETER HAMMILL-A Black Box-OR.UK PROG. LP! XLNT! US $7.99 [0 bids]
PETER HAMMILL:(From VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR)On Location-U.K.LP PCV Live 90 US $68.98 Buy It Now 3 days
PETER HAMMILL In A Foreign Town RESTLESS LP NM shrink insert US $11.95 Buy It Now 3 days
PETER HAMMILL/GRAHAM SMITH // Modern / ORIG 1979 US 2LP set - EX/MINT- in Shrink US $49.98 Buy It Now 3 days
PETER HAMMILL Fool's Mate US CHARISMA VG+ VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR US $9.99 [0 bids]
PETER HAMMILL Nadir's Big Chance UK CHARISMA EX VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR US $9.99 [0 bids]
CD PETER HAMMILL - SKIN Van Der Graaf Generator Guy Evans Hugh Banton Jax US $5.00 [0 bids]
PETER HAMMILL - UNSUNG [PETER HAMMILL] - NEW CD US $12.47 Buy It Now 3 days
Peter Hammill THE FUTURE NOW Charisma CA-1-2202 Near Mint US $15.95 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Pawn Hearts FIRST JAPAN CD OBI VJD-28074 Peter Hammill US $39.99 Buy It Now 3 days
PETER HAMMILL / GARY LUCAS Other World 180gm Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $34.20 Buy It Now 3 days
Peter Hammill In The Passionskirche 2-CD NEW SEALED US $9.78 Buy It Now 3 days
Peter Hammill - Over RARE DIFFERENT Israeli Israel Press 1977 LP LISTEN Art-Prog US $27.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Peter Hammill - Chameleon In The Shadow Of The N NEW CD US $8.02 Buy It Now 3 days
Peter Hammill - A Black Box - PHSCDR1 US $11.90 Buy It Now 4 days
PETER HAMMILL - PATIENCE [PETER HAMMILL] [5024545424928] - NEW CD US $12.38 Buy It Now 4 days
Peter Hammill - A Black Box NEW CD US $8.02 Buy It Now 4 days
Peter Hammill - Vision (1975) (Charisma Records) - New Sealed - Bx1050 US $39.95 Buy It Now 4 days
PETER HAMMILL - X MY HEART NEW CD US $21.64 Buy It Now 4 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - I PROPHESY DISASTER: LIVE IN ITALY 1972- PETER HAMMILL US $65.28 [0 bids]
Peter Hammill-Chameleon in the Shadow of the Light UK Charisma prog lp US $80.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Peter Hammill-In Camera UK Charisma prog lp Van Der Graaf Generator US $50.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Peter Hammill-Nadir's Big Chance UK Charisma prog lp Van Der Graaf Generator US $50.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Peter Hammill : Sitting Targets CD (1994) US $7.97 Buy It Now 4 days
Britpop RaRe Import V.A THE SMITHS NEW ORDER SMITHEREENS PETER HAMMILL Comp LP US $17.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Peter Hammill Future Now Japan Mini LP US $9.99 [0 bids]
PETER HAMMILL - ROARING FORTIES - NEW CD US $14.88 Buy It Now 4 days
PETER HAMMILL - IN THE PASSIONSKIRCHE BERLIN 1992 2CDs (New & Sealed) Live Rock US $9.78 Buy It Now 4 days
Peter Hammill Skin UK CD NEW '86 Guy Evans Stuart Gordon Van der Graaf Generator US $35.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Peter Hammill - Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night. 33RPM. Prog Gatefold LP US $16.31 [0 bids]
Peter Hammill - Over. 33RPM. Prog Charisma LP US $16.31 Buy It Now 5 days
PETER HAMMILL The Future Now 1978 UK vinyl LP EXCELLENT CONDITION US $42.84 Buy It Now 5 days
Peter Hammill : The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage CD (1988) US $11.75 Buy It Now 5 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR[Peter Hammill,David Jackson]: GODBLUFF[+BONUS TRACKS]NEW US $10.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Peter Hammill IN CAMERA Japan ORIGINAL mini lp CD MINT US $34.95 [0 bids]
Peter Hammill THE SILENT CORNER AND THE EMPTY STAGE Japan ORIGINAL mini lp CD M US $34.95 [0 bids]
Peter Hammill CHAMELEON IN THE SHADOW OF THE NIGHT Japan ORIGINAL mini lp CD M US $29.95 [0 bids]
Peter Hammill & The K Group - The Margin Live / 1985 Foundry UK 2 LP NICE US $34.95 Buy It Now 5 days
Peter Hammill - Love Songs / 1984 Charisma/Virgin Records CAS 1166, UK LP US $35.95 Buy It Now 5 days
Fool's Mate Peter Hammill MINI LP CD 2005 REMASTER VH Records Made in Italy PROG US $18.00 [0 bids]
Devil Doll: 5 CD+Eliogabalus Promo Box Japan Mini-LP SS (peter hammill banco Q US $265.50 Buy It Now 5 days
PETER HAMMILL RARE 2LP TIME FOR A CHANGE LIVE VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR non TMOQ US $35.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Peter Hammill - Room Temperature Live - CD X 2 (1990) Prog Rock US $39.18 Buy It Now 5 days
Peter Hammill - Nadir`s Big Chance - CASCDR1099 US $11.90 Buy It Now 5 days
Peter Hammill - Sitting Targets - CDVR2205 US $12.05 Buy It Now 5 days
PETER HAMMILL and close as this LP 8 track (v2409) uk virgin 1986 US $14.72 Buy It Now 5 days
PETER HAMMILL love songs LP 10 track but sleeve has ringwear and is discoloured US $11.79 Buy It Now 5 days

More places to buy PETER HAMMILL music online Buy PETER HAMMILL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PETER HAMMILL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PETER HAMMILL Singularity ratings distribution

PETER HAMMILL Singularity reviews

Review by Fishy
4 stars Peter Hammill is a productive guy. Every year there's a new album released. Sometimes it's hard for the fans to catch up with all the material that's been released. Moreover the music of Peter Hammill is not for every day use. You really have to be in the mood for this kind of rough and emotional music. In the past this man's work has been a great source of inspiration for many rock artists (both progressive and other). This can't be a coincidence.

"Singularity" is not an exceptional or surprising Hammill album but simply a very enjoyable one. If you know what to expect from the guy from Bath, you can't possibly be dissatisfied with this album ; the compositions are most inspiring. This is Hammill at his best. On some Hammill albums, the arrangements are too bare but on "Singularity", the arrangements and production work are elaborated. There's a moody atmosphere throughout all of the album. Take "Famous last words" for an example. At the beginning only a harp and a keyboard can be heard. Gradually there's the addition of a piano, a background choir of dubbed vocals, bass, drums and again a soaring electric guitar that I always enjoyed on Hammill records. This could well be my favourite track because of the great mood and the strong melody lines. The classical elements in the arrangements are awesome ! "Our eyes give it shape" is a perfect opening track in the vein of "I'll find you" from "Fireships", only this is more rockier. The up tempo track is dominated by the acoustic & electric guitar parts. "Vainglorious boy" is a typical wild and psychotic track that could fit in on albums like "The black box" or "Roaring forties". There's a soaring, psychedelic guitar and Hammill rather shouts than he sings, Hammill fans will know hat I mean.. "Meanwhile my mother" is a seventies sounding track where the domestic intimacy is illustrated in a familiar seventies sound. There's a Hammond organ accompanied by a violin ensemble. Great melody line by the way. "Of wire, of wood" is a odd little instrumental that is reminiscent to the work of Gabriel in the beginning of the eighties. The combination of a piano solo and an ethnic percussion motive on the background has a fascinating effect. On "Friday afternoon" Hammill proofs another time what a magnificent songwriter he really is. Even though the track exists of little more than a vocal and a piano, the melodies are compelling. The last track "white dot" is definitely the strangest of the bunch. This is comparable with the material you can find on his late seventies releases. Layers of disturbing keyboards and guitars provide a sinister atmosphere. This gives the listener the disturbing feeling something isn't right and that was probably the intention. With tracks like that, I always have the feeling this has never been finished sufficiently. The roughness is typical for most of Hammill's work and this really is how he wanted it to be done. I sometimes compare his work with a rough jewel. There's a lot of musical creativity to discover on the inside but on the outside the surface isn't smooth. Die hard fans are familiar with this kind of musical chaos. New listeners better start with another track.

"Singularity" is an album that I treasure from the first moment I started listening. The songs are great and accessible, the arrangements serve the purpose perfectly. Sometimes the sound is broad and big, sometimes the atmosphere is intimate. There's a good balance between quiet moods and up-tempo excerpts. The sound of this album is timeless. It could date from the seventies, eighties or nineties. That's a good thing cause it means we still will be playing this album within 10 or 20 years. Although it's not a masterpiece, this definitely is one of his better records to my humble opinion. I wonder how it can be that Peter Hammill still sounds so vivid on "Singularity" in his older days. It seems that time has little effect on him.

Send comments to Fishy (BETA) | Report this review (#104329) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 24, 2006

Review by Peter Pan
4 stars All Peter Hammill albums are personal statements. Beneath "Over", "Singularity" is the most personal one. Like "Over" (1977) its origin is a border experience. 30 years ago "Over" derived from a broken long-term relationship. Now "Singularity" was written as a contemplation of a heart-attack that nearly ended Peter's life.

This album is most touching and it's worth listening closely. Peter excels in describing the minutes and thoughts, the mood and atmosphere, when death might come. Words and music stay in a sober, serious and distinguished way, which might not have been easy to achieve - given the scope of the topics that Peter is into here.

Musically, Peter produces a carefully arranged dense atmosphere dominated by keyboards and guitars, and of course his unique voice. Literally all instruments including bass guitar and drums are played by himself. Compared to "In A Black Box" he has made big progress on drums.

My favourites on "Singularity" are:

- "Our Eyes Give it Shape". The guitar-driven opener describes the moment when someone realizes he can live on and takes a fresh look at the things of life. "I'm so glad I'm still here to see this". The dynamic, edgy song holds a perfect balance between ecstatic feelings and the luring memory of having layed on the threshold of death. A gem.

- In "Event Horizon" Peter produces a relaxed and calm atmosphere that might settle when "it's time to cross the line". Splendid the middle piece with the pulsating strings imitating the "blood rush in the ears".

- "Meanwhile my Mother". This song is about Peter's mother fading away with Alzheimer. A moving song that combines pretty tune and nice instrumentation with personal reflections about one of most spread diseases of elderly people in the developed countries. Touching to find the parallels between someone living in her own world with only small connections to reality and someone lying on the ground with an heart attack and (thank God only nearly) sinking to the unknown of death.

- "Friday Afternoon" deals with the unexpected death of Peter's piano tuner who was killed by a drink driver.

One of Peter Hammill`s best works.

Send comments to Peter Pan (BETA) | Report this review (#119340) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 22, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars From Fool's Mate to Singularity : it was quite a ride Peter!

Some of your work were shared with all or part of your Graaf friends, sometimes with new friends or sometimes with no friends. Like "Singularity". I hope you won't mind if I tell you that I couldn't always enter in these single efforts as I did with some more band-oriented ones. My ratings will tell you the ones I prefer.

I have had some difficult time with your last album to date. Of course, you suffered a dramatic event which could have led us orphan of new albums. Fortunately, nothing as such happened and you came back from this experience and wanted somehow to share it with us.

At times, to share personal feelings is not an easy task. The audience might either misunderstand or be left perplexed ("Event Horizon"). But since I know you now for so long (some thirty-five years), I fully appreciate "Famous Last Words". You couldn't imagine any better words as: "If I close my eyes I can pretend the best is still before me, the worst is at an end. Time for goodbyes to the audiences that adored me; they never realised just how much I came to despise all their eagerness.

You also can express such tenderness about your mother. I guess we should all learn to do it with such a talent (Meanwhile My Mother).

At times, it sounds as if your old mates are back again to assist you, but I've read that they weren't there for this album. It must be their shadows.I have also appreciated the "liquid lunch" from "Friday Afternoon". It is so true.

I would lie to you if I'd say that "Singularity" is my favourite album of yours. And between friends, one shouldn't lie, right? I'm sure you will do better next time. For the time being, two stars is my perception of this work.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#183327) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Hammill's almost 60 here but does not show any signs of slowing down. The new millenium saw a new solo or VDGG album every year. Additionally, they were also very consistent in quality and I haven't heard many fans complaining yet. Of course, except for Hammill's Clutch and VDGG's Present, it will hardly interest anyone but the fanbase.

The firstbars on the album feel a bit ackward. Minimal (or is that inadequate) drumming sets of a song with rather far-fetched melodies. An awkward start. But from then on I'm mercilessly dragged into the unique and gripping world of Peter Hammill again.

This album has moments where it sits close to the experimentalism of pH7 and The Future Now, but it never reaches the same standard even though there are plenty of surprises, new tricks and innovative twist in both sound and melodies.

I must say that after the very weak 90's, Hammill has proven himself in better in shape in the new millenium. Another album with a strong focus on good songs with the known Hammill edge.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#253941) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 02, 2009

4 stars It was very "Hammillian" year for me. 14.11.2006- great gig in Prague which I had opportunity to participate and one month later I get a new album from the Thin Man. Singularity doesn`t differ much from other Hammill`s albums. It reminds me of albums like What, Now? or Fireships. As usual it i ... (read more)

Report this review (#108309) | Posted by Wobbler | Sunday, January 21, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars GREAT !! This album is definitely his most personal one depicting very private. Singularity is an uneven record but holds some real masterpieces of songs. I've been listening to Peter Hammill's compositions for some 30 years now. I've always found them to be fascinating and extremely well made ... (read more)

Report this review (#102478) | Posted by ligaug | Sunday, December 10, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PETER HAMMILL "Singularity"