THE BEST OF THE DOORS

rock music collection

Buy THE DOORS Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1985

Disc: 1
1. Break On Through (2.25)
2. Light My Fire (7.05)
3. The Crystal Ship (2.31)
4. People Are Strange (2.09)
5. Strange Days (3.06)
6. Love Me Two Times (3.13)
7. Alabama Song (3.16)
8. Five To One (4.25)
9. Waiting For The Sun (3.57)
10. Spanish Caravan (2.57)
11. When The Music's Over (10.55)

Disc: 2
1. Hello, I Love You (2.14)
2. Roadhouse Blues (4.02)
3. L.A. Woman (7.48)
4. Riders On The Storm (7.14)
5. Touch Me (3.10)
6. Love Her Madly (3.17)
7. The Unknown Soldier (3.22)
8. The End (11.41)

Search THE DOORS The Best Of The Doors lyrics

Search THE DOORS The Best Of The Doors tabs

Jim Morrison /Vocals
Ray Manzarek / Organ, vocals and keyboards
John Densmore / Drums
Robby Krieger / Guitar

CD Elektra/WEA International Inc. 960345-2

Thanks to erik neuteboom for the addition
and to Joolz for the last updates

THE DOORS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE DOORS The Best Of The Doors Music

The Very Best of the Doors [US Version]The Very Best of the Doors [US Version]
DoorsDoors
Strange DaysStrange Days
In ConcertIn Concert
Elektra / Wea 1991
THE DOORS LIGHT MY FIRE STRIP OF 10 MINT STAMPS #2 US $6.16 Buy It Now 31m 2s
THE DOORS LIGHT MY FIRE STRIP OF 10 MINT STAMPS #4 US $6.16 Buy It Now 31m 3s
THE DOORS L.A. WOMAN LP BLACK HEAVY VINYL WARNER ELEKTRA PRESS German Issue NEW US $39.00 Buy It Now 31m 58s
The Doors Waiting For the Sun EKS-74024 LP Stereo Elektra Red Label Jim Morrison US $11.99 [0 bids]
35m 21s
DOORS FULL CIRCLE ORIG PSYCH ROCK LP ON ELEKTRA W/ CUT OUTS US $9.99 [0 bids]
39m 24s
Live at the Matrix '67 by The Doors (CD, Nov-2008, 2 Discs, Rhino (Label)) US $16.00 [1 bids]
40m 55s
The Doors [Original Soundtrack] by Original Soundtrack (CD, Mar-1991, Elektra... US $4.99 [0 bids]
42m 12s
L.A. Woman by The Doors (CD, Aug-2005, Phantom Import Distribution) US $15.99 [0 bids]
44m 19s
THE DOORS STRIP OF 10 MINT STAMPS, JIM MORRISON 2 US $6.16 Buy It Now 48m 34s
THE DOORS STRIP OF 10 MINT STAMPS, JIM MORRISON 1 US $6.16 Buy It Now 48m 34s
THE DOORS STRIP OF 10 MINT STAMPS, JIM MORRISON 4 US $6.16 Buy It Now 48m 37s
The doors first album first press gold brown elektra label 1967 US $15.00 [0 bids]
57m 47s
pharoahe monch simon says b/w behind closed doors vinyl records US $14.99 [0 bids]
57m 59s
The Doors by The Doors (CD, May-1988, Elektra (Label)) US $4.99 Buy It Now 58m 18s
The Doors Morrison Hotel LP 1970 Elektra EKS 75007 Red Gatefold Vinyl Record US $54.99 Buy It Now 1h
ROLLING STONES -Sticky Fingers cd,OOP AUSTRIA,LC0149,Zeppelin,Doors,Beatles,ufo US $3.00 [1 bids]
1h
Will Ackerman, Andy Narell - Opening of Doors, Down the Road - U.S. PROMO cd US $8.98 Buy It Now 1h 2m
The Velvet Underground -LOADED OOP JAPAN CD,1ST PRESS,The Doors,Kinks,Dylan, US $1.50 [1 bids]
Charlie Rich - Behind Closed Doors - record album US $2.29 [0 bids]
The Best of the Doors [1985] by The Doors (CD, Nov-2000, 2 Discs, Elektra... US $4.97 Buy It Now 1h 6m
L.A. Woman by The Doors (CD, May-1988, Elektra (Label)) US $2.00 [0 bids]
Doors L.A. Woman vinyl record German Import ELK 42 090 US $30.00 Buy It Now 1h 20m
The Who Who's Next UK Remaster Rolling Stones Beatles CD The Doors US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
THE DOORS ROCK VINYL RECORD ALBUM US $3.81 [3 bids]
3 DOORS DOWN - SEVENTEEN DAYS (2005 CD) US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE DOORS - L.A.Woman - cassette tape album US $8.75 Buy It Now 1h 35m
THE DOORS RESURRECTION LP- CLEAN RECORDS US $30.00 [0 bids]
THE DOORS - MR. MOJO RISIN' MINT RECORDS. US $40.00 [0 bids]
THE DOORS Waiting For The Sun LP TAEDO EU 97 rare KOREA pressing VG+ US $23.40 [5 bids]
The Doors Star Collection German Cassette Tape US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 54m
The Doors Live In Europe 1968 VHS Tape US $4.50 [0 bids]
The Doors L.A. Woman original window cover w/sleeve US $14.99 [1 bids]
THE DOORS Live At The Hollywood Bowl Mint Record PROMO AUDIOPHILE LP #60741-1 US $14.99 [0 bids]
, Carnegie Hall Presents: Keeping the Doors Open ~ Isaac Stern Audio CD US $4.31 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Pearl Jam,Zombies,Zeppelin,Blood Sweat,Grand Fun,Barenaked,J.Geils, Doors-12 CDs US $14.00 [1 bids]
2h
DOORS - MR MOJO RISIN: THE STORY OF L.A. WOMAN / NEW DVD US $15.66 Buy It Now 2h 4m
THE DOORS ALIVE SHE CRIED 1983 60269-1 EX VINYL PSYCH LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 10m
VINTAGE 33 RPM 1973 RECORD - CHARLIE RICH - BEHIND CLOSED DOORS US $1.99 Buy It Now 2h 10m
2003 Hear the Year Music CD 3 Doors Down Lifehouse Emerson Drive Hoobastank US $1.99 [0 bids]
THE DOORS-Jim Morrison Gravestone-Licensed POSTER-90cm x 60cm-Brand New US $9.64 Buy It Now 2h 15m
3 DOORS DOWN - AWAY FROM THE SUN (UK) NEW CD US $18.89 Buy It Now 2h 18m
3 Three Doors Down The Better Life CD Album 1999 Free Ship -0614 US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 34m
The Doors Hello, I Love You / Love Street 45635 Elektra 45 Near Mint US $4.99 [0 bids]
CHARLIE RICH BEHIND CLOSED DOORS TESTED 8 TRACK TAPE US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 37m
50% OFF-17 ROCK HOLIDAY RECORD ALBUMS-STONES ZEPPELIN-DOORS-SANTANA-LP US $199.99 [0 bids]
*Reduced 30%* Greatest Hits [#1] by The Doors (CD, Oct-1996, Elektra (Label)) US $2.45 [0 bids]
Vinyl Doors LA Woman LP New Factory Sealed Ships Double Boxed US $23.98 Buy It Now 2h 42m
The Doors : Best of the Doors (2CDs/VG, 1985) Elektra/WEA (Fatbox version) US $3.50 [0 bids]
Platoon Soundtrack VG+ doors aretha franklin vinyl LP budget free ship over $20 US $3.99 [0 bids]
Chicago VI VG record beatles doors vinyl LP "Budget" Free shipping over $20 US $3.99 [0 bids]
Chicago II peter cetera beatles doors vinyl LP "Budget" Free shipping over $20 US $3.99 [0 bids]
Lot Of 36 Cd's,w/ Case ,Jason Mraz, The Doors, Mariah, Fall Out Boy, Elton US $49.95 [0 bids]
The Doors "L.A. Woman" LP US $9.50 [4 bids]
The Doors "The Best of The Doors" 2CD (Elektra/BMG 2000 USA) US $12.99 [0 bids]
3h
The Doors LP Other Voices Elektra 75017 Stereo US $4.99 [0 bids]
DURAN DURAN Thank You PROMO CD Bob Dylan DOORS Elvis Costello LOU REED dj demo US $12.95 [0 bids]
THE DOORS "HELLO, I LOVE YOU" RARE ORIGINAL JAPANESE 1ST ISSUE SINGLE-45 W/PS US $44.99 Buy It Now 3h 14m
The Doors Tightrope Ride/Variety Is The Spice of Life 45 (C157) US $2.99 [0 bids]
RAPHAEL 45 Jinetes En El Cielo (Riders In The Sky) DOORS cover UA LATINO US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 19m
THE DOORS - STRANGE DAYS- ROCK & ROLL LP DATED 1970's US $9.95 [0 bids]
Rare Jim Morrison The Doors An American Prayer 8 Track Tape US $39.99 Buy It Now 3h 21m
THE DOORS - LIGHT MY FIRE- ROCK & ROLL LP DATED 1970's US $9.95 [0 bids]
THE DOORS-THE BEST OF THE DOORS-1985-USA-2CDS SET-MINT- US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE DOORS - LOVE / DEATH / TRAVEL = 3 X CD & DVD (USA Ltd. Edition Box)571/5000 US $62.00 [0 bids]
La CORDE ?- Unmarked Doors/Virus (USA 7"single) PUNK/Goth *w/insert* US $10.00 [0 bids]
THE DOORS ELEKTRA RECORDS 1967 EKS-74007 US $30.00 Buy It Now 3h 41m
Greatest Hits [#1] [ECD] by Doors (The) (CD, Oct-1996, Elektra (Label)) US $4.99 [0 bids]
Absolutely Live by The Doors (CD, Nov-1996, Elektra (Label)) US $5.99 [0 bids]
sealed THE DOORS / SOFT PARADE EKS-75005 NO BAR CODE gatefold US $49.99 Buy It Now 3h 57m
Stoned Immaculate: The Music of the Doors by Various Artists CD in Plastic case US $2.09 [0 bids]
4h
DOORS: Touch Me +3 45 (Japan, PC, close to M-) rare Rock & Pop US $75.00 Buy It Now 4h 3m
2lps THE DOORS / ABSOLUTELY LIVE EKS 9002 US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 4m
The Best of the Doors [1985] by The Doors (CD, Nov-2000, 2 Discs, Elektra (Label US $9.88 Buy It Now 4h 12m
THE DOORS SELF TITLED LP RARE ORIGINAL STEREO BROWN LABEL ELEKTRA VINYL #2 US $29.99 [0 bids]
Lot of 2 CD's 1985 Best of the DOORS & 1990 RUSH Chronicles 2 disc sets new US $14.99 [0 bids]
KAREL FIALKA ( STILL LIFE ) 1980 synth pop U.K. vinyl LP NM w/ DOORS cover song US $15.95 Buy It Now 4h 30m
sealed THE DOORS / L.A. WOMAN EKS-75011 NO BAR CODE US $49.99 Buy It Now 4h 31m
The Doors - Live in Hollywood Aquarius Theatre Performances - Lim Ed - As new US $8.80 Buy It Now 4h 37m
The Doors - The Best Of 2CD set Elektra US $7.99 Buy It Now 4h 51m
GAROU-Pierre Garand-WINDOWS AND DOORS-The Untouchables US $8.49 Buy It Now 4h 54m
EDM HOUSE ELECTRO VINYL Dirty South Vs The Doors White Lable Vinyl US $15.00 [0 bids]
DOORS "The Soft Parade" GF Butterfly Label ELEKTRA EKS 75005 NM- "TOP COPY" US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 58m
The Doors by The Doors (CD, May-1988, Elektra (Label)) US $3.00 [0 bids]
The Doors (1967, Elektra) Record, Vinyl, Album, LP Self-Titled ULTRA RARE! US $79.99 [0 bids]
Doors s/t Elektra 74024 gold lbl gf 1st vg+ US $8.00 [0 bids]
Doors - 13 - Vinyl LP - Elektra EKS-74079 - Jim Morrison US $5.95 Buy It Now 5h 10m
3 Doors Down by 3 Doors Down (CD, May-2008, Universal Republic) US $3.00 [0 bids]
The Doors, Absolutely Live, cassette US $2.99 Buy It Now 5h 23m
THE DOORS - FULL CIRCLE **RARE ROCK** LP US $15.00 [0 bids]
The Best of the Doors [1985] by The Doors (CD, Nov-2000, 2 Discs, Elektra) VG US $1.19 [0 bids]
DOORS "Light My Fire/ Crystal Ship" 1st Press "HIPPIE LABEL" ELEKTRA 45615 VG US $39.99 Buy It Now 5h 39m
THE DOORS - Absolutely Live 1975 Japan 2LP w/ OBI & Insert EX! Jim Morrison US $24.95 [0 bids]
THE DOORS-THE SOFT PARADE-1971 GATEFOLD ELEKTRA BUTTERFLY LP EKS75005-NM VINYL US $7.95 [0 bids]
GEORGE WINSTON/ NIGHT DIVIDES THE DAY/ THE MUSIC OF THE DOORS US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 59m
An American Prayer Jim Morrison Music By The Doors Sealed LP w/ Booklet, Sticker US $99.99 Buy It Now 5h 59m
3 DOORS DOWN - TIME OF MY LIFE NEW VINYL US $25.74 Buy It Now 6h 5m
Doors LA Woman [LP] 12" original 1971 US (VG) US $20.00 Buy It Now 6h 10m
3 DOORS DOWN - 3 DOORS DOWN (UK) NEW CD US $16.38 Buy It Now 6h 34m

More places to buy THE DOORS music online Buy THE DOORS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE DOORS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE DOORS The Best Of The Doors ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(44%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(36%)

THE DOORS The Best Of The Doors reviews

Review by erik neuteboom
5 stars And now for something completely different ...... The Doors! For me they are one of the most interesting bands that emerged in the exciting second half of The Sixties. The music of The Doors is a captivating encounter of four creative and adventurous musicians with a totally different musical background. They challenged each other to the limit during the frequent rehearsals and many gigs. Soon their sound turned into a varied, dynamic and 'groovy' blend of raw Mississippi blues, straight-forward rock, catchy pop tunes and Sixties USA West Coast psychedelia along elements from folk, jazz and avant-garde. Jim his unique voice and poetic lyrics give The Doors an extra, often very emotional dimension but I would like to emphasize that all band members contributed each in their unique way to the captivating, often compelling sound of The Doors. This comprehensive 2-CD compilation contains all the legendary compositions and many good songs from their six studio albums. In fact I only miss the track Peace Frog with its excellent guitar riff.

About Jim Morrison are written dozens of books featuring many chapters pointing at his extreme lust for drugs, alcohol and sex and his agressive behaviour towards his friends. But he remains a very fascinating frontman with an unique voice: tender and warm in the romantic ballad The Crystal Ship, bluesy in Roadhouse Blues and Five To One, cheerful in Hello I Love You and Touch Me and expressive in the compelling When The Music's Over (catchy organ riff and distorted guitarwork) and the splendid build-up The End (a psychedelic atmosphere with sensitive guitar and dynamic drums). The colouring by Ray Manzarek his keyboards (often the Vox Continental organ sound) and Robbie Krieger his guitar is outstanding, so tasteful and subtle. They succeed to upgrade almost every track like the harpsichord solo in Love Me Two Times, the slide guitar in Waiting For The Sun, the flamenco guitar intro in Spanish Caravan, the Honky Tonk piano in the funny Alabama Song, the swinging guitar riff in Love Her Madly, the Fender Rhodes electric piano play in the 'classic' Riders On The Storm and the church organ sound in The End. And last but not least I would like to point at John Densmore his often intense drumming, from soft touches on the hi-hats to heavy beats on his drum kits, very well timed and so dynamic.

THE DOORS ARE OPEN, YOU ARE INVITED TO ENTER THEIR CAPTIVATING WORLD!

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#105167) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 01, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
5 stars What a nice new year's present from Progarchives to have added The Doors to the list of bands we can review. I've read a lot of comments (some very rude ones) about their inclusion or not, but since they are there, let's review their GREAT work. As I have mentioned in my review of "The Doors" (their first opus), I entered their catalogue quite lately : in 1979 thanks to the Coppola's "Apocalypse Now" movie (as part of the soundtrack, the song "The End" is included).

The first CD I purchased from the Doors was this compilation. It is a WONDERFUL one. None of their hits are forgotten. This is extremely rare in compilations (if you compare with some ELO, Heep, Tull, Camel or Yes ones for instance). If you do not know "The Doors" this is an excellent entry and could (should) lead you to investigate more of their work (like I did). This one turned me into a die-hard fan. I own now their whole offical catalogue and some thirteen bootlegs or so. I am also thrilled to go and see "The Riders Of The Storms" in Antwerp pretty soon (I know this is only half The Doors, but still...). One can always argue of course of the tracklist of a compilation effort. OK, "Soul Kitchen " and "The Soft Parade" are missing (they could have include them since the double CD format would have allowed this with no problem). I also could have happilly lived without "Alabama Song - Wiskey Bar" (a song based on Bertolt Brecht's novel "Baal" which will be released by David Bowie later on as well). What is not there and should be ? Well, frankly "Back Door Man" (even if it is only a cover, it is a great rendition).

The absolute masterpiece of the band is included in its entire 11'44". About the two most contravertial sentences of the song, Jim will say, I quote "about kill the father: means destroying everything hierarchical, controlling and restrictive in one's pysche". I quote again : "about f... the mother" : means embracing everything that is expansive, flowing and alive in the psyche". The lyrics are incredible and very dark / bizarre. They are mostly spoken rather than sung. Maybe premonitory of Jim's death in 1971 ? The last lines of the song are quite explicit, I quote : "It hurts to set you free, But you'll never follow me, The end of laughter and soft lies, The end of nights we tried to die" This is the end". This song is quite hypnotic and is a great digest of their whole psychedelia.

If you are concerned by the money side, I would like to mention that there is a downsided version of this compilation fitting on one CD only (and cheaper). It lacks "When The Music Over" (and another three songs) but includes "Back door Man". So, it's up to you.

I also believe that "The Doors Boxset" (a four CD collection) should be available for review : it is a FABULOUS anthology of live and demo tracks (disc one and three), a selection of the band's favourite (disc four) and a whole CD from their concert at the Madison Square Garden in 1970. Another ESSENTIAL document is their DVD "30 Years Commemorative Edition" which is made of three sections : 1. Their last appearence on a TV show (in 1969 just after the scandal concert during which Jim will be arrested) ! 2. Some rare documents (like the clip for "The Unknown soldier" which will be censored in the US), and the mythical concert from The Hollywood Bowl (in its integrality - according to the liner notes). Hopefully it will be soon possible to review them. Five stars for this fantastic compilation of such an influent band.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#105303) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Review by clarke2001
4 stars Probably the best THE DOORS compilation around. This one is a good ratio between artistic quality and commercial profit. "The Best of the" was my introduction in the world of the Doors, and after this one, I started to appreciate different, "thinking" music.

In my early teen, I used to think that all the tracks are brilliant here, but now I'm a bit more picky, and I will admit that "Roadhouse Blues", "People Are Strange", "Love Me Two Times", "L. A. Woman", "Touch Me" and "Love Her Madly" are not so appealing to me anymore, in fact the first and the last mentioned are plain awful.

I'm very glad that both the lengthiest band's studio tracks are included here, "The End" and "When The Music's Over", because they are both masterpieces in it's own realm. They are both included at the ends of the disc 1 and 2, and it's nice to see a little bit of common sense from the compilation editors.

What can I say? All other tracks are great, and I don't think I have to explain why are they great, because most of them are known to a wider rock audience.

It worked well for me, so I think this is a perfect starter for a newbie.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#106514) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 08, 2007

Review by memowakeman
4 stars Wonderful compilation!

(Rating Edited august 2008: i lefft the review as i first wrote it, but i changed from 5 to 4 stars, since being a proto-prog album, it's not a masterpiece of progressive rock)

The ratings and previous reviews won`t let me lie, being The Doors a Giant in the history of rock, it`s obvious that they had to release an album where followers and general public could enjoy their best moments and songs, through the years Elektra decided to make a special compilation (1985) with all their classic moments. There are other compilations which are pretty good, but i particularly think this is the one, the best, you may say that it is full of hits and singles, and it could be but actually that`s not bad, i prefer some songs not listed here than some listed here but that doesn`t matter when an album or compilation can please someone like this works with me.

I consider myself a fan of this band, first of all because this is the only musical "influence" (besides Alan Parsons) that my father left to me, i remember when i was a kid i listened to The Doors so often, and i still do it nowadays, my love for them grew more and more, so if it were for me, i would give to this album 5 stars without a problem, because i love it, but remembering that this is a PROG site, i think i shoulnd`t give to it the five stars, however here we can find their proggiest moments with "Riders on the Storm", "Light my Fire", "When the music`s Over", "L.A. Woman" and "The End" (don`t think of The Celebration of the Lizard, it is not here) only with that 5 epics they could have released a 45 minute album which would be totally prog and mind blowing and which would fit in the realm of prog and 5 stars for sure.

But besides those wonderful songs, here we will find all their hits, songs that you might like or not, but songs that you know for sure, "Break on Through", "People are Strange", "Love me Two Times", "Roadhouse Blues" and "Touch Me" , sounds familiar, no?. This is a 2CD compilation, which can please any fan (and non-fan) since the very first song, their excellent music, magnific Manzarek`s keyboards (Light my Fire), the always constant Densmore drums playing (When the Music`s Over), the brilliant acoustic and electric guitars played by Krieger (Spanish Caravan and Break on Through) and the leadership by the Lizard King, Jim`s unique vocals and particular style will make you having a great moment with this album.

Excellent compillation, worth checking out and recommendable to anyone!

Hope you enjoy it!!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#108256) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 21, 2007

Review by Chris S
4 stars This has to be The Doors compilation at their utmost best. A double album of all their best hits, releases and generally good sounds. There are no other ' Best Of' albums in The Doors reportoire to come close to this and it does justify a solid four star rating just by selction tracks alone. Highly recommended to all those Doors enthusiasts who still enjoy the Doors sound for what it is worth, who still enjoy lighting the fire and last but not least enjoy being plain decadent. That is what this 85 compilation is- pure decadence of great music ' rolled ' into one.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#108777) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 25, 2007

Review by T.Rox
3 stars A great 'Best Of' that is largely surpassed by it's 2003 counterpart.

When I first started buying CD's, "The Best Of The Doors" was in my first half dozen CD purchases. This compilation remains a fabulous walk through The Doors music although it is now dated due to the 2003 release of "Legacy: The Absolute Best", which sees the same tracks re-mastered and includes a handful of additional tracks.

The "The Best Of The Doors" compilation is still chock full of essential Doors music, it is just no longer the boss compilation of The Doors work. I will give this 2CD set 3/5 because of its reduced standing the The Doors compilation arena, not because of any suggestion that there is any lack of quality in the music.

Send comments to T.Rox (BETA) | Report this review (#126120) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 17, 2007

5 stars 5 stars=Wonderful...A wonderful collection certaintly the best The Doors compilation...We can to listen the real sound of this giant band of rock..the keyboards of Manzarek and the voice and the presence of Jim Morrison are the importants columns of The Doors...the sound is a mix between Rock Blu ... (read more)

Report this review (#124088) | Posted by Lophophora | Thursday, May 31, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE DOORS "The Best Of The Doors"