VARIETY

Studio Album, released in 1973

1. Variety (7:37)
2. Watercorps (5:07)
3. Drops (8:19)
4. Draw Conclusions From ... (13:59)
5. Last Door (3:15)
6. More Drops* (7:54)
7. All That I Remember* (6:46)

* bonus tracks on GOD reissue

Search THINK Variety lyrics

Search THINK Variety tabs

- Frank Voigt / flute, effects
- Gerd Pohl / guitar, vocals
- Ricky Ramor / bass
- Rodrigo Ramor / vocals, percussion
- Friedhelm Wördehoff / drums, percussion
- Kajo Sandrik / keyboards, viola, vocals, percussion

LP Menga MEL 3301 (1973 Germany)
CD Little Wing OF Refugees LW 1018 (1991 Germany)
CD Garden Of Delights GOD 077 (2002 Germany)
LP Amber Soundroom AS LP 027 (2004 Germany)

Thanks to Philippe Blache for the addition
and to Rivertree for the last updates

THINK MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THINK Variety Music

Conway Twitty - I Wonder What She'll Think About Me Leaving lp In Shrink DL75292 US $6.99 Buy It Now 31m 54s
45 RPM VINYL RECORD Think Once You Understand US $10.39 Buy It Now 32m
Collin Raye I Think About You/ I Volunteer 45 RPM US $1.99 [0 bids]
35m 57s
Think E140245 Audio CD Mint US $4.73 Buy It Now 36m 24s
Wynton Marsalis Think of One vinyl LP 1983 NM w/SHRINK US $4.95 Buy It Now 41m 31s
NEW - Think Twice by Heartbeat; Lauraine US $4.88 Buy It Now 41m 59s
Grace Slick and the Great Society, Sally Go Round the Roses / Didn't Think So US $68.00 Buy It Now 43m 26s
Rock Unplayed NM! 45 CYNDI GRECCO I Think I Can Make It on Private Stock US $5.00 Buy It Now 44m 4s
SMOKEY - If You Think You Know How To Love Me - 1975 UK 7" vinyl single US $8.38 Buy It Now 48m 29s
SANDIE SHAW Think It All Over Ex+ Pye 1969 UK 7" US $6.68 Buy It Now 51m 42s
deep purple who do we think we are LP warner brothers 1973 BS 2678 EX/VG gatefol US $5.99 [0 bids]
52m 52s
KPOP LEE YUN A LOVE, I THINK 1st SINGLE ALBUM MINT- CD US $2.99 Buy It Now 53m
ELVIS PRESLEY JAPAN LOGO JK! SS1084 WEAR MY RING AROUND YOUR NECK,DONCHA' THINK! US $69.99 [0 bids]
56m 20s
Jaheim - "Everytime I Think About Her ft. Jadakiss" *RARE* (4 trk PR CD single) US $4.99 Buy It Now 57m 49s
YOUNG ENTERPRISE: Think I'm Gonna Make It / I Wanted You (soul vinyl 45) US $18.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
The Partridge Family. I Think I Love You/Somebody Wants To Love You US $6.50 Buy It Now 1h 6m
LEE RYAN when i think of you CD 2 track b/w i can let go now (82876782892) europ US $8.38 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Solvent / Bombaman - Think Like Us (Bombaman Remix) US $25.17 Buy It Now 1h 7m
FM Everytime I Think Of You 10" Record 1990 IMPORT US $7.88 Buy It Now 1h 8m
JACKSON 5(MICHAEL-FOREVER CAME TODAY/ALL I DO IS THINK OF YOU MOTOWN 1356F NM 45 US $11.98 Buy It Now 1h 8m
JANET JACKSON When I Think Of You Ex+ A&M 1986 UK P/S 7" US $6.68 Buy It Now 1h 21m
WEBB PIERCE - WHO DO I THINK I AM - DECCA 31816 EXC US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 23m
STEVIE NICKS * AFTER THE GLITTER FADES & THINK ABOUT IT * 45 RPM US $4.75 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Deep Purple Who Do We Think We Are Deluxe 180g Vinyl LP US $41.96 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Jerry Lee Lewis - I Think I Need To Pray VG++ 1973 US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 26m
CROWDED HOUSE NOT THE GIRL YOU THINK YOU ARE 7" SINGLE US $3.34 Buy It Now 1h 28m
CANDLEWICK GREEN Who Do You Think You Are Ex Juke Box 1970s UK P/S 7" US $6.68 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Bettye Swann I Think I'm Falling In Love 7" Money 136 EX 1970s US $16.79 Buy It Now 1h 30m
FRANKIE AVALON: After You've Gone / If You Don't Think I'm Leaving (oldies 45) US $18.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Alan Broadbent - Every Time I Think Of You US $6.50 [0 bids]
Rod Bernard 45 "Don't You Think I've Paid Enough" US $6.74 Buy It Now 1h 33m
DANKO JONES - I THINK BAD THOUGHTS 2-VERSION U.S PROMO DJ CD CS198 ## US $11.04 Buy It Now 1h 33m
NEW - 50,000 B.C. by Shudder to Think US $10.09 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Ronnie Dyson I Think I'll Tell Her 7" CBS SCBS1968 EX 1973 US $11.74 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Collin Raye I Think About You CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 38m
NEW - Just Gonna Think About Today US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Smothers Brothers "Think Ethnic" (M) US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Dishwalla, And You Think You Know What Life Is About, CD, Location B5-30 US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
MERV GRIFFIN SPELLBINDERS Homing Bird/Think of All the Nice Things DECCA Promo US $14.00 [0 bids]
(THE) FLAMINGOS-THINK ABOUT ME Parts I & II BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED VINYL 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 53m
A Bad Think , Audio CD, Simple Rhymes US $7.09 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Pop Promo 45 ED AMES AND MARILYN MAYE Think Summer on RCA (promo) 4 US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 59m
LES TAYLOR "EVERY TIME I THINK IT'S OVER" 45 RPM US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 2m
More Than You Think You Are by Matchbox Twenty (2) US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Soul Searchers, The - We The People / Think 7" Vinyl New US $13.42 Buy It Now 2h 12m
ROY MCMILLAN: Time To Think LP Bluegrass US $18.00 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Leo Sayer 45 When I Need You/I Think We Feel In Love Too Fast WB Label US $1.54 [5 bids]
BLUR - Think Tank - CD Album *Hardback Book Cover**Limited Special Edition* US $5.86 Buy It Now 2h 43m
12" LP - DANCE/R&B - SCOTT ALLAN - I Think We're Alone Now - PROMO - RARE! US $9.99 [0 bids]
Bobby Sherman - I think I'm gonna be alright - METROMEDIA # 3 - picture disc US $5.99 [0 bids]
White Stripes 'I Think I Smell A Hype' LP Vinyl Unplayed Import US $39.99 Buy It Now 2h 59m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - LORNE GIBSON TRIO - I THINK I'T BEST TO FORGET ME - F-11814 US $11.74 Buy It Now 3h 2m
TIFFANY Japan 1987 NM 7"45 I THINK WE'RE ALONE NOW US $15.99 Buy It Now 3h 8m
(E757) Jack McManus, You Think I Don't Care - DJ CD US $5.02 Buy It Now 3h 18m
Whaddaya Think of That - Laurie Berkner New & Sealed CD US $18.39 Buy It Now 3h 18m
Bud Dashiell I Think It's Gonna Rain Today (Vinyl LP) US $8.00 Buy It Now 3h 21m
JANET JACKSON CONTROL *** CD *** nasty when i think of you RARE US $14.05 Buy It Now 3h 29m
BLUR THINK TANK CASSETTE TAPE US $12.65 Buy It Now 3h 39m
Wynton Marsalis - Think Of One US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
Rick Martell I'm Gettin' Ready / I can't Help But Think Of You Kay Ko 1001 Teen US $40.00 Buy It Now 4h 4m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - DA YA THINK I'M SEXY - ROD STEWART - RIVA17 US $11.74 Buy It Now 4h 5m
THE MOJO MEN -HEAR IT -1966- SIT DOWN I THINK I LOVE YOU / DON'T LEAVE ME CRYING US $9.99 [0 bids]
45 RPM The Partridge Family "I Think I Love You/Somebody Wants To Love You" US $2.49 Buy It Now 4h 9m
I Think of You by Miki Coltrane (CD) BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 11m
BRENDA & TABULATIONS: Why Didn't I Think Of That/A Love You Can Depend On (45) US $3.95 Buy It Now 4h 22m
THE KINKS Think Visual, vinyl LP, 1986, EX/VG+ US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 22m
Young Jessie on MODERN HOLLYWOOD 961 Mary Lou / Don't Think I Will - EE+ / E US $63.96 Buy It Now 4h 23m
(DT572) Beat Connection, Think / Feel Ft Chelsey Scheffe - DJ CD US $5.02 Buy It Now 4h 23m
THE CARS 7" PS JAPAN YOU MIGHT THINK r1630 US $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 28m
Paul Whiteman & His Orchestra I Never Knew VG++ Do You Ever Think of Me Dance US $8.97 Buy It Now 4h 35m
ELVIS PRESLEY Suspicious Minds & You'll Think Of Me PICTURE SLEEVE RED VINYL NEW US $18.73 Buy It Now 4h 41m
NORTHERN SOUL - JOE ODOM - THINK AND DO b/w LET ME GO GRADUALLY - 123 - PROMO 45 US $12.95 Buy It Now 4h 49m
Christopher Cross; Think of Laura on 45 US $3.99 Buy It Now 4h 57m
I Think About You by Collin Raye  HITS  Minty CD  New Case  Free Ship US $8.00 Buy It Now 5h
2000 Aussie cd single RARE Dont think im not / what im gon do to you KANDI US $11.94 Buy It Now 5h 3m
Gene Chandler NORTHERN SOUL 45 Wish You Were Here / Think Nothing About It US $11.98 Buy It Now 5h 12m
BRENTON WOOD - DOUBLE SHOT 45 -GIMME LITTLE SIGN & I THINK YOU GOT YOUR FOOLS US $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 12m
WYNTON MARSALIS "NM WAX" Think of One... FC38641 LP v7266 US $24.99 Buy It Now 5h 13m
Mary Hopkin 'Think About Your Children' Apple Single & Picture Sleeve, Beatles US $3.99 Buy It Now 5h 19m
Think of One, Marsalis, Wynton, Acceptable US $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 19m
ROD STEWART 7" PS Japan DA YA THINK I'M SEXY? r4078 US $4.00 Buy It Now 5h 28m
Al Dexter Columbia 36898 Honey Do You Think It's Wrong Guitar Polka Troopers US $6.49 Buy It Now 5h 30m
VOICE OF THE BEEHIVE I Think I Love You (1991 UK ltd edition 4-track CD single) US $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 47m
1 CENT CD: Charles Christopher 'Think About It' US $0.01 [0 bids]
Think About It, Charles Christopher, Good US $8.37 Buy It Now 5h 51m
78 RPM Clifton Chenier SPECIALTY DJ 556 Think It Over ZYDECO US $9.99 [0 bids]
IYASHANTI - THINK DEM NICE 7" STAR TRAIL?? US $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 54m
Dennis William Wilson 45 One Of Those People/Did You Think It Was Over? 1979 US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 57m
1 CENT CD: Shudder To Think 'First Love Last Rites' NEW US $0.01 [0 bids]
I Think I Love You: Greatest Hits Live [CD & DVD] by... US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 19m
Think Tank, , Good Explicit Lyrics US $4.57 Buy It Now 6h 24m
DO MAKE SAY THINK - & Yet & Yet   New & Sealed CD US $14.04 Buy It Now 6h 29m
? Chris Rea - Whatever Happened (w/"Fool If You Think.. US $14.99 Buy It Now 6h 35m
Partridge Family, The - I Think I Love You/Somebody Wants To Love You (45,1970) US $3.50 Buy It Now 6h 38m
VINYL LP Bud Dashiell - I Think It's Gonna Rain Today / Warner Bros. WS 1731 US $10.99 Buy It Now 6h 38m
Tek 9 - Its Not What You Think It Is!?!! The Oldies But Goodies 1991-95 (2 CDs) US $19.99 [0 bids]
Duets V1 Christian Karaoke Style NEW CD+G Think Of Me US $11.99 Buy It Now 6h 43m
Who Do U Think U R? [PA] by Loose Cannon (CD) Fat Joe US $0.01 [0 bids]
B(IF)TEK We Think You're Dishy RARE AUSSIE CD SINGLE 1999 ORIGINAL BIFTEK US $14.04 Buy It Now 6h 47m
The Wonder Who-45 Vinyl Record-Bob Dylan Cover "Don't Think Twice"/"Sassy" US $15.00 Buy It Now 6h 49m

More places to buy THINK music online Buy THINK & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THINK DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THINK Variety ratings distribution

THINK Variety reviews

Review by Rivertree
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Psych/Space Team & Band Submissions
4 stars THINK was one of many German incidents in the early 1970s which produced one album and then disappeared for ever and ever. The band featured skilled musicians, for example two from Hungary and one Czech who some day played in Germany with the Philharmonia Hungarica ... and then decided to stay. Soon they found some German mates to build up a six-piece crew and came in contact with the Marl/Ruhrgebiet based label Menga which 1973 released their sole album 'Variety'. This is an appropriate album title by all means.

They offer a nearly eclectic sound when mixing up classical, jazzy, symphonic, heavy, folk, blues and psych elements to something very interesting and enjoyable. With other words: this is nothing rough and unpolished ... if anything than the two bonus tracks probably, earlier recordings included on the Garden Of Delights reissue. Both appear in a more heavy rock vein where More Drops is also clearly Pink Floyd infected. The groovy All that I remember shines with some experimental gimmicks. This foreshadows the trickiness of the following regular album tracks.

THINK start the album very relaxed, folksy, the title song is decorated with violin and Frank Voigt's flute, later turning to a swinging jazzy mood and even classical impressions. And so on ... they build up a surprising chain of varying impressions provided with turns and breaks where you immediately can recognize the compositional ability. Then you will meet the mellow instrumental Watercorps - of course once interrupted by a frantic hurry-up. Drops is pervaded with hallucinatory impressions as well as jazzy excursions. The epic Draw Conclusions from partially sounds like performed by the Keef Hartley Band, bluesy with playful organ ...

... so you can hear they take the album title quite literally. And it works on top of it! Vocals are surprisingly good compared to other German bands and all in all this is somewhat relaxed music. As mentioned before 'Variety' is digitally remastered and re-issued, available via Garden Of Delights. The booklet of 32 pages holds many images, illustrating the spirit of that time very nicely. A very good progressive rock effort - recommended!

Send comments to Rivertree (BETA) | Report this review (#282043) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 15, 2010

4 stars 4.5 stars. An interesting lineup here with three Germans, two Hungarians (brothers) and a Czech. The German lead guitarist was a big fan of KING CRIMSON and PINK FLOYD while the drummer was into LED ZEPPELIN and BLACK SABBATH. The three non-German musicians were Classical musicians. They called themselves THINK because of their interest in a thinking audience. Vocals are in English and the music is in my opinion very moving and Psychedelic in nature. PINK FLOYD is the band I thought of most often. Lots of organ, guitar, flute and viola.

"Variety" opens with gentle guitar as flute and viola join in. Vocals and organ follow. It turns jazzy after 1 1/2 minutes. Great sound a minute later. What an amazing song ! "Watercorps" opens with relaxed guitar, bass and drums to start. Vocals join in as the organ floats in the background. Flute comes in and it sounds so good. Viola after 2 minutes. Another incredible track. "Drops" is the best one of all in my opinion. Experimental intro then laid back guitar and drums lead as the vocals join in. Very FLOYD-like here. It kicks in after 1 1/2 minutes. A nice flute / bass section 3 minutes in then the guitar starts to solo. Nice. It's experimental again before 5 minutes as themes are repeated.

"Draw Conclusions From..." is the longest track at 14 minutes but my least favourite. I still think it's great though. A beat with flute and guitar as vocals join in quickly. Organ follows. We get a Blues section after 3 minutes until after 5 minutes then that earlier sound returns. Best part is after 7 1/2 minutes as the flute and organ lead. Viola follows. Nice bass too. "Last Door" opens with the door squeeking open as guitar, bass, flute and percussion take over. Vocals too. A calm after 1 1/2 minutes. Nice. It picks back up a minute later to end it. Cool tune. Two bonus tracks here.The first one "More Drops" is an earlier version of "Drops", while the other is "All That I Remember". The latter is fairly catchy with vocals. Nice guitar solo 1 1/2 minutes in. Actually the guitar is more the focus here than on the other songs.

I'm very tempted to give this 5 stars because I like it so much, but in reality it's not quite that good. Still this is one amazing Krautrock record. It makes me feel really good.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#285532) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 07, 2010

Review by Guldbamsen
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site and Forum Admin
4 stars The opposite of pole vaulting

Let me introduce you to a record that really likes it, when you get drunk and turn up your stereo. It gets even more jolly and exuberant, if you then start to jump a little.....just a little in the corner - it'll sense it. Variety is very much like having an omnipresent party friend living on your shelf. He lies there dormant, until the next time his owner decides to plunge head first down a barrel of beer.

The booming organ dominated jazz rock of the first cut is a fair blueprint of what this album is about. Much in line with the sounds of the early British prog rockers, bands like Colosseum, Quartermass, Gracious and Indian Summer, Think churned out one infinitely warm and heartfelt record back in 73. The comparisons stop at the organ drive though, as Variety brings in an altogether more gooey and sticky vibe. On the first cut it shows itself in a layer that seems to come from within the organ, so as you get this streaming, oozing effervescent quality to it. Sounds absolutely brilliant matched up with the tight interplay of the rhythm section.

Then you have the small interventions happening throughout the album - popping by in the form of either a viola or the smooth guitar stylings of Gerd Pohl. The viola completely transforms the tunes it appears in, especially on that first self-titled track, where it suddenly changes the mood for a playful kind of Mozart rock. The guitar though just does what it does best, which effectively consists of pointing the band in the direction of the stars, hope for the best - and then take off!

Yet another endearing musical trait of Pohl's, is the way he riffs. Oh my word! This guy literally sounds like he's revving an old Ford Mustang! VRRROOOOOOOOOM VRRRROOOOOOUMMM!!!! Ironically, you'll have to wait until the bonus track called More Drops to get the best example of this roaring fuzzed out riffing mayhem. I can't believe this tune wasn't included on the original album! It's one of my favourite things on Variety.

Even the vocals are strangely good - considering this was recorded in Germany 1973, by Germans singing in English. Hoho.....Yeah well, I might be a little harsh, but let me tell you - we were just as horrible in Denmark, when it came to the English lingo. Damn... Anyway, on Variety the vocals are 80% accent-free, and there's additionally a pastoral shading to them that meshes incredibly well with the loftier sections, where the organ develops a quasi mellotron identity and begins to soar like a hot air balloon.

For some musical reference points, I'd say Pink Floyd in the dreamy sections, a strange mix of Black Sabbath, Amon Düül ll and King Crimson in the grainy muddied guitar riffs, and then perhaps a dash of the flute rock that made Canned Heat famous a few years prior to this release.

I think I'm with my good friend John The Mellotron rating-wise. Think's sole album is a breathtaking slice of hard edged psychedelia with a delightful jazzy twist to it. It might not have been particularly fresh and pioneering, back when it first hit the street, but then again if you decide to judge music by the same standards you do water rugby and pole vaulting, you're bound to set yourself up for nothing. Absolutely nothing. That is not zen at its finest btw, that's merely the indication of you missing the plot by several nautical miles. Music is first and foremost about feel, and that is coincidentally also the one single thing this album's got in spades! 4.5 stars.

Send comments to Guldbamsen (BETA) | Report this review (#1018850) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Post a review of THINK "Variety"