VARIETY

Studio Album, released in 1973

1. Variety (7:37)
2. Watercorps (5:07)
3. Drops (8:19)
4. Draw Conclusions From ... (13:59)
5. Last Door (3:15)
6. More Drops* (7:54)
7. All That I Remember* (6:46)

* bonus tracks on GOD reissue

Search THINK Variety lyrics

Search THINK Variety tabs

- Frank Voigt / flute, effects
- Gerd Pohl / guitar, vocals
- Ricky Ramor / bass
- Rodrigo Ramor / vocals, percussion
- Friedhelm Wördehoff / drums, percussion
- Kajo Sandrik / keyboards, viola, vocals, percussion

LP Menga MEL 3301 (1973 Germany)
CD Little Wing OF Refugees LW 1018 (1991 Germany)
CD Garden Of Delights GOD 077 (2002 Germany)
LP Amber Soundroom AS LP 027 (2004 Germany)

Thanks to Philippe Blache for the addition
and to Rivertree for the last updates

THINK MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THINK Variety Music

More Than You Think You Are, Matchbox Twenty, Very Good US $3.65 Buy It Now 33m 45s
Justin Timberlake Ovestoned / I Think She Knows Remixes 12" Jive 88697-12810-1 US $4.99 Buy It Now 35m
DEEP PURPLE LP WHO DO WE THINK WE ARE WARNER BROS BROWN LABEL US $7.99 Buy It Now 36m 28s
Brook Benton (soul) 45 Think Twice / For My Baby ~ Mercury VG+ US $3.00 Buy It Now 39m 46s
Right Brigade Lp Stop And Think Step Forward Panic Carry On American Nightmare US $3.25 [4 bids]
40m 4s
DEA ?- You Think It's Over Now? 1992 OLD SKOOL RAVE US $8.28 Buy It Now 41m 57s
Tom Dearing How Do You Think I Feel? CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 44m 9s
THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY I Think I Love You b/w Somebody Wants To Love You VG+ ORIG US $2.99 Buy It Now 49m 21s
THE HOUSEMARTINS - Think For A Minute - 5 Track 12-inch LP 1986 ENGLAND US $5.49 Buy It Now 52m 35s
#1 Nashville Outlaw by Waylon Jennings CD Don't Think Twice it's alright US $6.99 Buy It Now 57m 23s
THINK ABOUT LIFE - THINK ABOUT LIFE - NEW CD US $6.72 Buy It Now 1h 3m
(BT913) The Tenebrous Liar, Think I'm Coming Down - DJ CD US $2.90 Buy It Now 1h 9m
One Tin Soldier - I think you always knew Warner Bros Records 7509 Billy Jack US $2.97 Buy It Now 1h 14m
INFORMATION SOCIETY "THINK" 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Vintage Deep Purple Who Do You Think We Are 1973 WARNER BROTHERS BS 2678 Record US $9.99 [0 bids]
Near Mint-1984 THE CARS You Might Think / Heartbeat City-Elektra 7-69744 45 rpm US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Lox - If You Think Im Jig (1998) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1h 26m
I Think About You by Collin Raye (CD, Aug-1995, Epic (USA)) US $1.89 Buy It Now 1h 29m
JANET JACKSON When I Think Of You /Pretty Boy JAPAN PROMO 7" SINGLE 7Y3014 US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Matchbox Twenty (20) - More Than You Think You Are (CD) - VERY GOOD CONDITION US $5.25 Buy It Now 1h 30m
More Than You Think You Are, Matchbox Twenty, Good US $3.52 Buy It Now 1h 35m
VG+ CHARLEY PRIDE OH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL LOVE SONG/I DON'T THINK SHE'S IN LOVE 45 US $2.98 Buy It Now 1h 38m
Lord Tariq Sadat X & Pudgee. Think Big US $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Boys Don't Cry WHO THE AM DAM DO YOU THINK YOU AM? PROMO 45 US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 46m
x PERRY COMO 7" PS JAPAN PROMO I THINK OF YOU W404 US $14.00 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Elvis Presley Wear My Ring / Doncha Think Its Time RCA 447-0622 45 rpm VG++ US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 53m
ERIC MARTIN -EVERYTIME I THINK OF YOU / THIS IS SERIOUS-1987 Vinyl 45' / Mr. Big US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 53m
THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY I THINK I LOVE YOU / SOMEBODY WANTS TO LOVE YOU 45 RPM US $4.99 [0 bids]
Dale & Grace TEEN 45 (MONTEL 922) Stop And Think It Over/Bad Luck VG HEAR IT! US $7.95 Buy It Now 2h
SUSAN REWIS Soul PROMO 45rpm Don't Think Twice Its All Right/Anybodys Boy LISTEN US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Think With Your Heart by Debbie Gibson (CD, Jul-1995, SBK Records) US $13.49 Buy It Now 2h 8m
IAN COONEY-YOU DON'T REALLY LOVE ME/THINK I'M GONNA BE LONELY-POLYDOR 2065 341 US $10.99 [0 bids]
CONWAY TWITTY I WONDER WHAT SHE'LL THINK ABOUT ME LEAVING, VINTAGE VINYL LP US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 16m
CHRIS BENNETT - WHEN I THINK OF CHRISTMAS - NEW CD US $13.98 Buy It Now 2h 23m
Think Tank [PA] by Blur (CD, May-2003, Virgin) US $4.99 [0 bids]
R DEAN TAYLOR - INDIANA WANTS ME "I Think Therefore I Am" LP VG++ US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 28m
Lyn Collins "Think (About It)" 1972 People Records Promo LP US $47.00 [7 bids]
ELVIS PRESLEY, SUSPICIOUS MINDS / YOU'LL THINK OF ME 45 RPM RECORD SINGLE US $4.99 [0 bids]
I Think We're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat- The BPA (Fatboy Slim) NEW SEALED w/Crack US $2.99 Buy It Now 2h 43m
Think of One (fusion/prog-rock/funk) 'Trafico' 2006 CD SEALED NEW w/ Press Kit US $13.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
PICTURE DISC/ Boys Don't Cry - Who The Am Dam Do You Think You Am? US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 52m
Voice V (girl group pop) "When You Think About Me" 1999 2-Track CD SEALED HTF US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 54m
Between Earth & Sky by The Colour (CD, Feb-2007, Re:Think) SEALED NEW CCM rock US $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Artie Schroeck 45 I Think I'm Gonna Cry (mercury) US $8.00 Buy It Now 3h
More Than You Think You Are by Matchbox Twenty (CD, Nov-2002, Atlantic (Label)) US $2.75 [0 bids]
MATCHBOX TWENTY More Than You Think You Are CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
More Than You Think You Are by Matchbox Twenty (CD, Nov-2002, Atlantic (Label)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Think Twice [CD 2], Dion Celine, Good Single US $4.51 Buy It Now 3h 10m
THINK OUT LOUD " AFTER ALL THIS TIME " 1980s ROCK 45 Steve Kipner Peter Beckett US $4.20 Buy It Now 3h 11m
THE ROBOCOP KRAUS - THEY THINK THEY ARE THE ROBOCOP KRAUS [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $12.43 Buy It Now 3h 19m
CELINE DION 45 RPM 7" - Think Twice US $1.99 Buy It Now 3h 23m
WYNTON MARSALIS - THINK OF ONE NEW CD US $16.21 Buy It Now 3h 28m
Control Janet Jackson 1986 Nasty, Think of U, Have U Done JIMMY JAM TERRY LEWIS US $1.99 [0 bids]
I Think I Love You, Faith, Percy, New US $11.48 Buy It Now 3h 29m
JAMES BROWN Think! -Original 1961 US 12" Vinyl LP MONO RARE SOUL King 683 VG+/VG US $99.89 [0 bids]
MONEY eddie SUPER HITS baby hold on THINK I'M IN LOVE be my baby NEW TAPE US $4.88 Buy It Now 3h 39m
Daisy, Pat - I Think I'm Falling/Beautiful People (45,1972,Demo) US $2.50 Buy It Now 3h 43m
Think Like a Girl by Diana King (CD, Sep-1997, Sony Music Distribution (USA)) US $4.99 [0 bids]
Rick Springfield (dj) 45 WHAT WOULD CHILDREN THINK mono / st. ~ VG++ rock pop US $2.56 Buy It Now 3h 47m
Glassjaw 7" So You Think You're John Lennon w/ Adaptor New US $85.00 Buy It Now 3h 51m
Firesign Theatre - I Think WeRe All Bozos On The CD US $9.94 Buy It Now 3h 52m
TIFFANY "I THINK WE'RE ALONE NOW / NO RULES" 45w/PS US $2.75 [0 bids]
Cyndi Lauper That's What I Think US CD maxi single US $2.00 [0 bids]
Eternal - Mind Odyssey 12" Trance Think Tank Sonic Records 1992 US $3.74 Buy It Now 4h 9m
DO MAKE SAY THINK - WINTER HYMN COUNTRY HYMN SECRET HYMN - NEW CD US $10.44 Buy It Now 4h 10m
DAVID CASSIDY PARTRIDGE FAMILY 7" PS Japan I THINK I LOVE YOU r4363 US $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 17m
Elvis Presley 7" Mexican rare ps 1969 you´ll think of me pensaras en mi US $9.90 Buy It Now 4h 19m
Jaimeson - Think On Your Feet (Cassette) BMG Russia US $14.50 Buy It Now 4h 23m
TWIGGY "WHEN I THINK OF YOU" ULTRA-RARE ORIGINAL JAPAN SINGLE TEST PRESSING PS US $49.99 Buy It Now 4h 23m
JAMES BROWN**PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLUS THINK!**CD US $10.80 Buy It Now 4h 26m
R. KELLY Did You Ever Think (U.S. 4 Track CD Single) US $50.01 Buy It Now 4h 32m
Ward Terry D - Think Outside The Box CD US $20.94 Buy It Now 4h 36m
Farlowe Chris - 14 Things To Think About Art Of Chris Farlowe CD US $20.19 Buy It Now 4h 36m
Bill Stewart - Think Before You Think CD US $15.01 Buy It Now 4h 36m
You Might Think We'Re Sharks - You Might Think Were Sharks Cdrp CD US $16.63 Buy It Now 4h 37m
Melanie C - Think About It 2 Track Germany CD Single US $13.59 Buy It Now 4h 38m
I Cant Think Straight O.S.T. UK CD US $25.40 Buy It Now 4h 41m
AFTER 7 don't cha think 12" RECORD AFTER SEVEN DONT YA US $7.99 Buy It Now 4h 45m
ISM - I Think I Love You (The Hits That Missed 1982-1989) CD - RARE! US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 51m
FRANDA ROBERTSON - Think - 12" Vinyl MICMAC Records FREESTYLE HOUSE CLUB MIX US $5.99 Buy It Now 4h 55m
I Think About You by Collin Raye (CD, Aug-1995, Epic... US $2.12 Buy It Now 5h
BOYS DON'T CRY Who The Am Dam Do You Think You Am? (1987 U.S. Promo 12inch) US $50.01 Buy It Now 5h 2m
Streets of Rage - "The Things We Think & Do Not Say" US $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 5m
Dave Dudley 45 Cowboy Boots/I Think Ill Cheat (a Little Tonight) Golden Ring VG+ US $0.89 [0 bids]
Batteries - Think Of Somebody LP 1984 Bop-O-Bay BOB-002 Bill Spooner US $15.00 Buy It Now 5h 11m
SMALL FACES / P. P. ARNOLD 45 UK Mono (If You Think You're) Groovy US $25.00 [0 bids]
wlp PHILIP GOODHAND-TAIT I Think I'll Write A Song DJM 9102 US $24.99 Buy It Now 5h 16m
DWELE I Think I Love U advance promo 2005 CD instrumental + A CAPPELLA capella US $2.99 Buy It Now 5h 20m
NO 2.CD SINGLE.KATE CEBERANO.TIME TO THINK.MUSH01788-2 US $18.63 Buy It Now 5h 21m
BOYS DON'T CRY Who The Am Dam Do You Think You Am? (U.S. Promo 7inch) US $50.01 Buy It Now 5h 31m
MICHELLE GOULET Stop & Think (U.S. Promo 7inch) US $50.01 Buy It Now 5h 32m
1927 That's When I Think Of You (U.S. Promo 7inch) US $50.01 Buy It Now 5h 32m
Z.Z.HILL-THINK PEOPLE/DON'T MAKE ME PAY FOR HIS MISTAKES-HILL RECORDS 222 US $10.99 [0 bids]
CHARLIE PEACOCK Sarah Masen advance promo CD 1996 RE:THINK US $2.99 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Lee Ryan - When I Think Of You Promo CD Rare! US $17.99 Buy It Now 5h 45m
think twice - got to keep moving 3tracks Japan Promo CD rare! US $17.99 Buy It Now 5h 45m
N-TRANCE, ROD STEWART 'Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?' CD SINGLE / EP US $4.62 Buy It Now 5h 48m
DEBBIE GIBSON Think With Your Heart 1995 advance promo U.S. CD Deborah US $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 53m
DEEP PURPLE WHO DO WE THINK WE ARE 7 EXTRA TRACKS REMASTERED CD NEW US $18.67 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Lockin Out Fanzine # 1 Mental Crunch Time Stop And Think Righteous Jams US $22.50 [13 bids]

More places to buy THINK music online Buy THINK & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THINK DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THINK Variety ratings distribution

THINK Variety reviews

Review by Rivertree
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Psych/Space Team & Band Submissions
4 stars THINK was one of many German incidents in the early 1970s which produced one album and then disappeared for ever and ever. The band featured skilled musicians, for example two from Hungary and one Czech who some day played in Germany with the Philharmonia Hungarica ... and then decided to stay. Soon they found some German mates to build up a six-piece crew and came in contact with the Marl/Ruhrgebiet based label Menga which 1973 released their sole album 'Variety'. This is an appropriate album title by all means.

They offer a nearly eclectic sound when mixing up classical, jazzy, symphonic, heavy, folk, blues and psych elements to something very interesting and enjoyable. With other words: this is nothing rough and unpolished ... if anything than the two bonus tracks probably, earlier recordings included on the Garden Of Delights reissue. Both appear in a more heavy rock vein where More Drops is also clearly Pink Floyd infected. The groovy All that I remember shines with some experimental gimmicks. This foreshadows the trickiness of the following regular album tracks.

THINK start the album very relaxed, folksy, the title song is decorated with violin and Frank Voigt's flute, later turning to a swinging jazzy mood and even classical impressions. And so on ... they build up a surprising chain of varying impressions provided with turns and breaks where you immediately can recognize the compositional ability. Then you will meet the mellow instrumental Watercorps - of course once interrupted by a frantic hurry-up. Drops is pervaded with hallucinatory impressions as well as jazzy excursions. The epic Draw Conclusions from partially sounds like performed by the Keef Hartley Band, bluesy with playful organ ...

... so you can hear they take the album title quite literally. And it works on top of it! Vocals are surprisingly good compared to other German bands and all in all this is somewhat relaxed music. As mentioned before 'Variety' is digitally remastered and re-issued, available via Garden Of Delights. The booklet of 32 pages holds many images, illustrating the spirit of that time very nicely. A very good progressive rock effort - recommended!

Send comments to Rivertree (BETA) | Report this review (#282043) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 15, 2010

4 stars 4.5 stars. An interesting lineup here with three Germans, two Hungarians (brothers) and a Czech. The German lead guitarist was a big fan of KING CRIMSON and PINK FLOYD while the drummer was into LED ZEPPELIN and BLACK SABBATH. The three non-German musicians were Classical musicians. They called themselves THINK because of their interest in a thinking audience. Vocals are in English and the music is in my opinion very moving and Psychedelic in nature. PINK FLOYD is the band I thought of most often. Lots of organ, guitar, flute and viola.

"Variety" opens with gentle guitar as flute and viola join in. Vocals and organ follow. It turns jazzy after 1 1/2 minutes. Great sound a minute later. What an amazing song ! "Watercorps" opens with relaxed guitar, bass and drums to start. Vocals join in as the organ floats in the background. Flute comes in and it sounds so good. Viola after 2 minutes. Another incredible track. "Drops" is the best one of all in my opinion. Experimental intro then laid back guitar and drums lead as the vocals join in. Very FLOYD-like here. It kicks in after 1 1/2 minutes. A nice flute / bass section 3 minutes in then the guitar starts to solo. Nice. It's experimental again before 5 minutes as themes are repeated.

"Draw Conclusions From..." is the longest track at 14 minutes but my least favourite. I still think it's great though. A beat with flute and guitar as vocals join in quickly. Organ follows. We get a Blues section after 3 minutes until after 5 minutes then that earlier sound returns. Best part is after 7 1/2 minutes as the flute and organ lead. Viola follows. Nice bass too. "Last Door" opens with the door squeeking open as guitar, bass, flute and percussion take over. Vocals too. A calm after 1 1/2 minutes. Nice. It picks back up a minute later to end it. Cool tune. Two bonus tracks here.The first one "More Drops" is an earlier version of "Drops", while the other is "All That I Remember". The latter is fairly catchy with vocals. Nice guitar solo 1 1/2 minutes in. Actually the guitar is more the focus here than on the other songs.

I'm very tempted to give this 5 stars because I like it so much, but in reality it's not quite that good. Still this is one amazing Krautrock record. It makes me feel really good.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#285532) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 07, 2010

Review by Guldbamsen
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site and Forum Admin
4 stars The opposite of pole vaulting

Let me introduce you to a record that really likes it, when you get drunk and turn up your stereo. It gets even more jolly and exuberant, if you then start to jump a little.....just a little in the corner - it'll sense it. Variety is very much like having an omnipresent party friend living on your shelf. He lies there dormant, until the next time his owner decides to plunge head first down a barrel of beer.

The booming organ dominated jazz rock of the first cut is a fair blueprint of what this album is about. Much in line with the sounds of the early British prog rockers, bands like Colosseum, Quartermass, Gracious and Indian Summer, Think churned out one infinitely warm and heartfelt record back in 73. The comparisons stop at the organ drive though, as Variety brings in an altogether more gooey and sticky vibe. On the first cut it shows itself in a layer that seems to come from within the organ, so as you get this streaming, oozing effervescent quality to it. Sounds absolutely brilliant matched up with the tight interplay of the rhythm section.

Then you have the small interventions happening throughout the album - popping by in the form of either a viola or the smooth guitar stylings of Gerd Pohl. The viola completely transforms the tunes it appears in, especially on that first self-titled track, where it suddenly changes the mood for a playful kind of Mozart rock. The guitar though just does what it does best, which effectively consists of pointing the band in the direction of the stars, hope for the best - and then take off!

Yet another endearing musical trait of Pohl's, is the way he riffs. Oh my word! This guy literally sounds like he's revving an old Ford Mustang! VRRROOOOOOOOOM VRRRROOOOOOUMMM!!!! Ironically, you'll have to wait until the bonus track called More Drops to get the best example of this roaring fuzzed out riffing mayhem. I can't believe this tune wasn't included on the original album! It's one of my favourite things on Variety.

Even the vocals are strangely good - considering this was recorded in Germany 1973, by Germans singing in English. Hoho.....Yeah well, I might be a little harsh, but let me tell you - we were just as horrible in Denmark, when it came to the English lingo. Damn... Anyway, on Variety the vocals are 80% accent-free, and there's additionally a pastoral shading to them that meshes incredibly well with the loftier sections, where the organ develops a quasi mellotron identity and begins to soar like a hot air balloon.

For some musical reference points, I'd say Pink Floyd in the dreamy sections, a strange mix of Black Sabbath, Amon Düül ll and King Crimson in the grainy muddied guitar riffs, and then perhaps a dash of the flute rock that made Canned Heat famous a few years prior to this release.

I think I'm with my good friend John The Mellotron rating-wise. Think's sole album is a breathtaking slice of hard edged psychedelia with a delightful jazzy twist to it. It might not have been particularly fresh and pioneering, back when it first hit the street, but then again if you decide to judge music by the same standards you do water rugby and pole vaulting, you're bound to set yourself up for nothing. Absolutely nothing. That is not zen at its finest btw, that's merely the indication of you missing the plot by several nautical miles. Music is first and foremost about feel, and that is coincidentally also the one single thing this album's got in spades! 4.5 stars.

Send comments to Guldbamsen (BETA) | Report this review (#1018850) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Post a review of THINK "Variety"