VARIETY

Studio Album, released in 1973

1. Variety (7:37)
2. Watercorps (5:07)
3. Drops (8:19)
4. Draw Conclusions From ... (13:59)
5. Last Door (3:15)
6. More Drops* (7:54)
7. All That I Remember* (6:46)

* bonus tracks on GOD reissue

Search THINK Variety lyrics

Search THINK Variety tabs

- Frank Voigt / flute, effects
- Gerd Pohl / guitar, vocals
- Ricky Ramor / bass
- Rodrigo Ramor / vocals, percussion
- Friedhelm Wördehoff / drums, percussion
- Kajo Sandrik / keyboards, viola, vocals, percussion

LP Menga MEL 3301 (1973 Germany)
CD Little Wing OF Refugees LW 1018 (1991 Germany)
CD Garden Of Delights GOD 077 (2002 Germany)
LP Amber Soundroom AS LP 027 (2004 Germany)

Thanks to Philippe Blache for the addition
and to Rivertree for the last updates

THINK MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THINK Variety Music

Usher Think Of You 12" Single NM 1994 24095-1 LaFace Records US $19.95 Buy It Now 31m 39s
Jerry Lee Lewis - I Think I Need To Pray VG++ 1973 US $4.99 Buy It Now 32m 18s
Lola Page - Stop And Think It Over / Tell Me A Lie ORIG UK 7"1976 EX EAGLE US $6.71 Buy It Now 34m 12s
Johnny Rivers & The Guru Ram Das Ashram Singers Think His Name PS Portugal US $9.99 [0 bids]
34m 17s
SMOTHERS BROTHERS (think ethnic) Vinyl 33 LP Comedy Record Album EX Stereo US $4.95 [0 bids]
35m 18s
TONEDEF ALLSTARS who do you think you are kidding CD US $9.98 Buy It Now 36m
45 RPM RECORD/8) CHRISTOPHER CROSS/ THINK OF LAURA US $2.00 Buy It Now 38m 39s
Lonnie Smith THINK! Blue Note LEE MORGAN New Sealed VINYL LP US $12.99 Buy It Now 44m 3s
Stephanie Bentley 7" 45 Record Dead Ringer /Think Of Me US $2.40 Buy It Now 48m 36s
Bobbie Cryner 7" 45 Record You'd Think He'd Know Me US $2.40 Buy It Now 50m 42s
RUMPLE-STILTS-SKIN - I Think I Want To Dance With You - FUNK SOUL 45 - Promo US $10.49 Buy It Now 52m 32s
DEEP PURPLE "NM WAX" Who Do We Think We Are! P-8312W LP L2439 US $17.50 [7 bids]
52m 59s
ADDICT DUST CD 3 TRACKS INC ONE THAT GOT AWAY+THINK AGAIN, DIGI US $6.69 Buy It Now 53m 25s
DALE AND GRACE-STOP AND THINK IT OVER B/W-BAD LUCK-VG US $3.00 Buy It Now 54m 44s
Dont Think Im Not, Kandi, Acceptable Single US $4.56 Buy It Now 54m 57s
DWELE I THINK I LOVE U SEALED vinyl 12'' US $5.00 [0 bids]
55m 31s
Rod Stewart - Da Ya Think I'm Sexy? / Scarred And Scared - Vinyl Record 7" 45 US $1.75 Buy It Now 56m 32s
RAIT YOU THINK YOU'RE TOUGH 12" SINGLE US $8.60 Buy It Now 59m 10s
MERV GRIFFIN SPELLBINDERS Homing Bird/Think of All the Nice Things DECCA Promo US $14.00 [0 bids]
59m 15s
Deep Purple Who Do We Think We Are 1973 Record Exc.Con! (17) W/Song Sheet!! US $13.99 Buy It Now 1h
Lou Rawls Brook Benton ?- A Natural Man / Think Twice NM US $6.99 [0 bids]
V.P.S. - Let us think about christmas - 1980 UK injection 7" vinyl single US $16.76 Buy It Now 1h 11m
HAL TROTTER (Think About It / Hannah) NORTHERN SOUL 45 RPM RECORD US $75.00 Buy It Now 1h 18m
tommy mclain - sweet dreams / think it over - 7" vinyl single US $15.08 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Judy Collins Promo 45-HardLovin' Loser/I Think It's Going To Rain Today US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 27m
45 RECORD CHRIS REA MIDNIGHT LOVE FOOL IF YOU THINK IT'S OVER US $2.97 Buy It Now 1h 37m
BLUR THINK TANK CD 13 TRACK ALBUM US $7.70 Buy It Now 1h 45m
VINYL 12" SINGLE - Ray Parker Jr. - I don't think that a man... - GEF 27 T US $15.08 Buy It Now 1h 45m
VINYL 12" SINGLE - Rumple-Stilt-Skin - I think I want to dance with you - POSPX US $15.08 Buy It Now 1h 45m
45 RECORD THE CARS- YOU MIGHT THINK US $0.99 [0 bids]
TEMPTATIONS: Think For Yourself / Mono (soul vinyl 45) US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 52m
12" LP - DANCE/R&B - SCOTT ALLAN - I Think We're Alone Now - PROMO - RARE! US $9.99 [0 bids]
Do Make Say Think Winter Hymn Country Secret 2003 Original Double 2 LP M-/Mint US $37.50 Buy It Now 1h 58m
SUPERCHARGE I THINK I'M GONNA FALL IN LOVE 7" 45 RARE VG+ PORTUGAL US $9.99 [0 bids]
Don Gibson & Sue Thompson I Think They Call It Love Over There's The Door 45 rpm US $5.00 [0 bids]
1980 - FABULOUS POODLES - Think Pink - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $15.08 Buy It Now 2h 11m
Northern Soul 45 OMNI - When Do You Stop To Think - FOUNTAIN Records US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Soul 45 MARIAH CAREY Do You Think Of Me on Columbia US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 20m
Modern Soul 45 TONY CHAMBERS Stay Calm, Be Cool and Think Collectively on Mopres US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 23m
Modern Soul 45 TONY CHAMBERS Stay Calm, Be Cool and Think Collectively on Mopres US $25.00 Buy It Now 2h 23m
GARBAGE.....I THINK I,M PARANOID......FREE POSTAGE.... .CD SINGLE. US $9.24 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Rod Stewart, Da Ya Think I'm Sexy, 45 Record US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 28m
The Partridge Family - I Think I Love You / Somebody Wants To Love You - 45pm US $0.99 [0 bids]
Patti Page A Woman Left Lonely / Think Again - Mercury 73249 -45 RPM US $0.99 [0 bids]
BALL IN THE HOUSE ~ Think About It CD ~ Autographed ~ 2004 US $2.99 [0 bids]
45 RECORD THINK-ONCE YOU UNDERSTAND US $4.49 Buy It Now 2h 30m
~45 RECORD~THE WONDER WHO? (4 SEASONS)~DON'T THINK TWICE~1965~ US $3.95 [0 bids]
FLEETWOOD MAC Think About Me 45 RPM Promo MONO & STEREO Mixes '79 Tusk WBS 49196 US $6.00 Buy It Now 2h 33m
45 RECORD DALE AND GRACE- STOP AND THINK IT OVER US $0.99 [0 bids]
VG++ JERMAINE JACKSON I THINK IT'S LOVE 1986 45 RPM ARISTA AS1-9444 US $2.98 Buy It Now 2h 36m
DINOSAUR JR I DON'T THINK SO CD ONE TRACK SPECIAL DJ ISSUE US $5.69 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Deep Purple Who Do We Think We Are LP sealed 180 gm vinyl FridayMusic RE US $26.98 Buy It Now 2h 45m
Delpha and the Witnesses - When I Think of God's Love LP gospel private US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 46m
Madonna Holiday , Think Of Me RARE PICTURE DISC Uk 12" US $59.99 Buy It Now 2h 48m
THE FLIRTS-ALL YOU EVER THINK ABOUT IS(SEX) 2 MIXES-CBS 4Z9-05952 NM/VG 12" US $6.98 Buy It Now 2h 55m
THE NEW COLONY SIX-I WILL ALWAYS THINK ABOUT YOU B/W-HOLD ME WITH YOUR EYES-VG+ US $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 56m
Northern Soul 45..SAM FLETCHER..I'd Think It Over on Tollie ...HEAR US $155.90 [12 bids]
Fire On Blonde 45 Stop And Think Atlantic Records 1986 PROMO COPY #7-89402 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 5m
SEALED RELATION INC I THINK WE'RE ALONE NOW 12" SINGLE 1987 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 5m
Kervin, I Think I See Evil Audio CD US $4.79 Buy It Now 3h 5m
The Partridge Family 45 I Think I Love You/I Woke Up In Love This Morning 1972 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 6m
1980 - FABULOUS POODLES - Think Pink - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $15.08 Buy It Now 3h 12m
45RPM w/Picture Sleeve - Mary Hopkin - Think About Your US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 13m
SHUDDER TO THINK First Love Last Rites CD, 1998, VG US $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 13m
Ultimix 36 Full 3 Record Set Hippychick Think Doin The Do Black Cat NM US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 14m
Barbara George If When You've Done The Best You Can / If You Think Vinyl 45 US $12.75 Buy It Now 3h 14m
JOCASTA - GO / STOP TO THINK (664141 7) UK 1997 LTD EDITION 7'' BLUE VINYL US $5.02 Buy It Now 3h 15m
GARBAGE I THINK I'M PARANOID CD 3 TRACKS INC DEADWOOD+AFTERGLOW US $5.69 Buy It Now 3h 16m
ROD STEWART "DA YA THINK I 'M SEXY ?" 45 CHILE 1979 TOP US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 18m
WORLDS soul 45 THE FLAMINGOS - Think About Me US $3.00 [0 bids]
Brenton Wood 45 I think you've got your fools mixed up/Gimmie little sign Ds-148 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 23m
Janet Jackson-Control-Near Mint Lp Record-A&M-SP-5106 w/When I Think Of You US $6.23 [0 bids]
(CQ871) Some Velvet Morning, Don't Think - 2011 DJ CD US $5.02 Buy It Now 3h 25m
Earth, Wind, & Fire (45); C'mon Children & I Think About Lovin' You. LOOK!!! US $7.99 [0 bids]
BOB LUMAN Let's Think About Living 45 RARE US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 36m
7"-Single JANET JACKSON - When I Think Of You (1986) GERMANY PS US $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 37m
ROCK 45 - THE CARS - SINCE YOU'RE GONE/THINK IT OVER - W/PS -STEREO -1981- N/M ! US $1.99 [0 bids]
The three Suns, To Think You've Chosen Me US $17.00 Buy It Now 3h 41m
JANET JACKSON RUNAWAY WHEN I THINK OF YOU 12" 95 UK NEW US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 43m
JANET JACKSON RUNAWAY CD 4 TRACKS INC WHEN I THINK OF YOU-DAVID MORALES HOUSE M US $5.69 Buy It Now 3h 45m
JESSICA SIMPSON I THINK I'M IN LOVE WITH YOU CD 3 TRACKS, RADIO VERSION/SODA CL US $5.69 Buy It Now 3h 48m
JOCASTA GO CD 4 TRACKS INC STOP TO THINK/CLEAN ASH/THE LAND OF DO AS YOU PLEASE US $5.69 Buy It Now 3h 50m
CD Single: Garbage - I Think I'm Paranoid US $3.95 Buy It Now 3h 54m
KACI I THINK I LOVE YOU CD 4 TRACKS, ORIG/ALMIGHTY RADIO EDIT/VIDEO/TU AMOR-SPA US $5.69 Buy It Now 3h 56m
Tiffany MCA 45 Record #53167 NM PS 1987 I think were alone now / No rules US $6.40 Buy It Now 3h 56m
Usher - Think Of You **OG**1994** 12" US $0.98 [0 bids]
Balance And Composure - The Things We Think Fuchsia Haze Vinyl /500 La Dispute US $16.25 [14 bids]
4h
Brook Benton - THINK TWICE / FOR MY BABY - 1961 Mercury 45 w/Picture Sleeve US $11.76 Buy It Now 4h 4m
DEEP PURPLE WHO DO WE THINK WE ARE BS 2678 W/LYRIC SHEET VINTAGE 1973 RARE OOP US $10.00 [0 bids]
I Think I'm Gonna Be Sick, Dandelion, Good US $5.74 Buy It Now 4h 7m
1995 Picture Sleeve 45 Janet Jackson Runaway When I Think Of You Morales mix US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 11m
FRANDA ROBERTSON, "THINK", MIC 520 AS, MICMAC 12" LP; NEAR MINT US $2.99 [0 bids]
LIBERTY X JUST A LITTLE CD 3 TRACKS INC BREATH+THINK IT OVER-ACOUSTIC, CD1 US $5.69 Buy It Now 4h 12m
JAMES BROWN: Think / You've Got The Power 45 Soul US $20.00 Buy It Now 4h 12m
I THINK WE'RE ALONE NOW - TOMMY JAMES & THE SHONDELLS US $1.99 [0 bids]
Psychostick We Couldn't Think Of A Title CD Metalcore Music Album Brand New US $20.12 Buy It Now 4h 18m
PAT WILLIAMS Think LP VERVE V6-5056 Jazz ZOOT SIMS Hey Jude LITTLE GREEN APPLES US $9.99 [0 bids]
LOWGOLD COUNTERFEIT CD 3 TRACKS INC WHATEVER YOU THINK YOU'RE WRONG+ATLANTIC PA US $5.69 Buy It Now 4h 22m
LUCE DRAYTON I SAID HEY CD 3 TRACKS INC ALONE+WHAT DO YOU THINK I AM-HOME DEMO US $6.69 Buy It Now 4h 22m
Jack Teagarden 1962 lp Think Well Of Me NM Verve 8465 DG mono US $12.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy THINK music online Buy THINK & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THINK DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THINK Variety ratings distribution

THINK Variety reviews

Review by Rivertree
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Psych/Space Team & Band Submissions
4 stars THINK was one of many German incidents in the early 1970s which produced one album and then disappeared for ever and ever. The band featured skilled musicians, for example two from Hungary and one Czech who some day played in Germany with the Philharmonia Hungarica ... and then decided to stay. Soon they found some German mates to build up a six-piece crew and came in contact with the Marl/Ruhrgebiet based label Menga which 1973 released their sole album 'Variety'. This is an appropriate album title by all means.

They offer a nearly eclectic sound when mixing up classical, jazzy, symphonic, heavy, folk, blues and psych elements to something very interesting and enjoyable. With other words: this is nothing rough and unpolished ... if anything than the two bonus tracks probably, earlier recordings included on the Garden Of Delights reissue. Both appear in a more heavy rock vein where More Drops is also clearly Pink Floyd infected. The groovy All that I remember shines with some experimental gimmicks. This foreshadows the trickiness of the following regular album tracks.

THINK start the album very relaxed, folksy, the title song is decorated with violin and Frank Voigt's flute, later turning to a swinging jazzy mood and even classical impressions. And so on ... they build up a surprising chain of varying impressions provided with turns and breaks where you immediately can recognize the compositional ability. Then you will meet the mellow instrumental Watercorps - of course once interrupted by a frantic hurry-up. Drops is pervaded with hallucinatory impressions as well as jazzy excursions. The epic Draw Conclusions from partially sounds like performed by the Keef Hartley Band, bluesy with playful organ ...

... so you can hear they take the album title quite literally. And it works on top of it! Vocals are surprisingly good compared to other German bands and all in all this is somewhat relaxed music. As mentioned before 'Variety' is digitally remastered and re-issued, available via Garden Of Delights. The booklet of 32 pages holds many images, illustrating the spirit of that time very nicely. A very good progressive rock effort - recommended!

Send comments to Rivertree (BETA) | Report this review (#282043) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 15, 2010

4 stars 4.5 stars. An interesting lineup here with three Germans, two Hungarians (brothers) and a Czech. The German lead guitarist was a big fan of KING CRIMSON and PINK FLOYD while the drummer was into LED ZEPPELIN and BLACK SABBATH. The three non-German musicians were Classical musicians. They called themselves THINK because of their interest in a thinking audience. Vocals are in English and the music is in my opinion very moving and Psychedelic in nature. PINK FLOYD is the band I thought of most often. Lots of organ, guitar, flute and viola.

"Variety" opens with gentle guitar as flute and viola join in. Vocals and organ follow. It turns jazzy after 1 1/2 minutes. Great sound a minute later. What an amazing song ! "Watercorps" opens with relaxed guitar, bass and drums to start. Vocals join in as the organ floats in the background. Flute comes in and it sounds so good. Viola after 2 minutes. Another incredible track. "Drops" is the best one of all in my opinion. Experimental intro then laid back guitar and drums lead as the vocals join in. Very FLOYD-like here. It kicks in after 1 1/2 minutes. A nice flute / bass section 3 minutes in then the guitar starts to solo. Nice. It's experimental again before 5 minutes as themes are repeated.

"Draw Conclusions From..." is the longest track at 14 minutes but my least favourite. I still think it's great though. A beat with flute and guitar as vocals join in quickly. Organ follows. We get a Blues section after 3 minutes until after 5 minutes then that earlier sound returns. Best part is after 7 1/2 minutes as the flute and organ lead. Viola follows. Nice bass too. "Last Door" opens with the door squeeking open as guitar, bass, flute and percussion take over. Vocals too. A calm after 1 1/2 minutes. Nice. It picks back up a minute later to end it. Cool tune. Two bonus tracks here.The first one "More Drops" is an earlier version of "Drops", while the other is "All That I Remember". The latter is fairly catchy with vocals. Nice guitar solo 1 1/2 minutes in. Actually the guitar is more the focus here than on the other songs.

I'm very tempted to give this 5 stars because I like it so much, but in reality it's not quite that good. Still this is one amazing Krautrock record. It makes me feel really good.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#285532) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 07, 2010

Review by Guldbamsen
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site and Forum Admin
4 stars The opposite of pole vaulting

Let me introduce you to a record that really likes it, when you get drunk and turn up your stereo. It gets even more jolly and exuberant, if you then start to jump a little.....just a little in the corner - it'll sense it. Variety is very much like having an omnipresent party friend living on your shelf. He lies there dormant, until the next time his owner decides to plunge head first down a barrel of beer.

The booming organ dominated jazz rock of the first cut is a fair blueprint of what this album is about. Much in line with the sounds of the early British prog rockers, bands like Colosseum, Quartermass, Gracious and Indian Summer, Think churned out one infinitely warm and heartfelt record back in 73. The comparisons stop at the organ drive though, as Variety brings in an altogether more gooey and sticky vibe. On the first cut it shows itself in a layer that seems to come from within the organ, so as you get this streaming, oozing effervescent quality to it. Sounds absolutely brilliant matched up with the tight interplay of the rhythm section.

Then you have the small interventions happening throughout the album - popping by in the form of either a viola or the smooth guitar stylings of Gerd Pohl. The viola completely transforms the tunes it appears in, especially on that first self-titled track, where it suddenly changes the mood for a playful kind of Mozart rock. The guitar though just does what it does best, which effectively consists of pointing the band in the direction of the stars, hope for the best - and then take off!

Yet another endearing musical trait of Pohl's, is the way he riffs. Oh my word! This guy literally sounds like he's revving an old Ford Mustang! VRRROOOOOOOOOM VRRRROOOOOOUMMM!!!! Ironically, you'll have to wait until the bonus track called More Drops to get the best example of this roaring fuzzed out riffing mayhem. I can't believe this tune wasn't included on the original album! It's one of my favourite things on Variety.

Even the vocals are strangely good - considering this was recorded in Germany 1973, by Germans singing in English. Hoho.....Yeah well, I might be a little harsh, but let me tell you - we were just as horrible in Denmark, when it came to the English lingo. Damn... Anyway, on Variety the vocals are 80% accent-free, and there's additionally a pastoral shading to them that meshes incredibly well with the loftier sections, where the organ develops a quasi mellotron identity and begins to soar like a hot air balloon.

For some musical reference points, I'd say Pink Floyd in the dreamy sections, a strange mix of Black Sabbath, Amon Düül ll and King Crimson in the grainy muddied guitar riffs, and then perhaps a dash of the flute rock that made Canned Heat famous a few years prior to this release.

I think I'm with my good friend John The Mellotron rating-wise. Think's sole album is a breathtaking slice of hard edged psychedelia with a delightful jazzy twist to it. It might not have been particularly fresh and pioneering, back when it first hit the street, but then again if you decide to judge music by the same standards you do water rugby and pole vaulting, you're bound to set yourself up for nothing. Absolutely nothing. That is not zen at its finest btw, that's merely the indication of you missing the plot by several nautical miles. Music is first and foremost about feel, and that is coincidentally also the one single thing this album's got in spades! 4.5 stars.

Send comments to Guldbamsen (BETA) | Report this review (#1018850) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Post a review of THINK "Variety"