VARIETY

Studio Album, released in 1973

1. Variety (7:37)
2. Watercorps (5:07)
3. Drops (8:19)
4. Draw Conclusions From ... (13:59)
5. Last Door (3:15)
6. More Drops* (7:54)
7. All That I Remember* (6:46)

* bonus tracks on GOD reissue

Search THINK Variety lyrics

Search THINK Variety tabs

- Frank Voigt / flute, effects
- Gerd Pohl / guitar, vocals
- Ricky Ramor / bass
- Rodrigo Ramor / vocals, percussion
- Friedhelm Wördehoff / drums, percussion
- Kajo Sandrik / keyboards, viola, vocals, percussion

LP Menga MEL 3301 (1973 Germany)
CD Little Wing OF Refugees LW 1018 (1991 Germany)
CD Garden Of Delights GOD 077 (2002 Germany)
LP Amber Soundroom AS LP 027 (2004 Germany)

Thanks to Philippe Blache for the addition
and to Rivertree for the last updates

THINK MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THINK Variety Music

We'll Give You A BuzzWe'll Give You A Buzz
SouthSide
Audio CD$21.99 (used)
Danger Danger - I Still Think About You - 7" (PS) Single (B1/004) US $8.56 Buy It Now 30m 43s
JOAN BAEZ 'Don't Think Twice, It's All Right' 7" E.P. US $12.87 Buy It Now 40m 6s
James Brown - Think [CD New] US $15.94 Buy It Now 48m 34s
Do Make Say Think (CD) 8 Tracks - CST005 - Nr Mint - Fast Postage - Rare US $19.56 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Do Make Say Think - Goodbye Enemy Airship the Landlord is Dead (CD) CST010 US $19.56 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Do Make Say Think - & Yet & Yet (CD) 7 Tracks - CST020-2 - Nr Mint Fast Postage US $16.29 Buy It Now 1h 14m
ROCKABILLY 45 RPM BOB LUMAN " LET`S THINK ABOUT LIVING " WARNER BROTHERS VG++ US $14.99 [0 bids]
Do Make Say Think - Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn (CD) CST025-2 - Nr Mint US $16.29 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Matchbox Twenty / 20 ,Australian only 2cd set - More Than You Think You Are US $22.34 Buy It Now 1h 31m
WALTER DAVIS think you need a shot LP 16 track mono pressing sleeve has light we US $10.28 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Think Global: West Africa Unwired by US $1.61 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Oleta Adams - I Just Had To Hear Your Voice / Get Here / Think Again (CD Single) US $6.48 Buy It Now 1h 59m
SANXTION THINK ABOUT IT CD MIKE LEE BARREN CROSS RARE US $3.25 [3 bids]
2h
JUST LEFT - THINK FAST NEW CD US $18.46 Buy It Now 2h
David & Shaking Ray Levis Greenberger - Tramps That Go Think In The Night CD US $13.67 Buy It Now 2h 13m
ALSO EDEN - THINK OF THE CHILDREN - NEW CD US $15.55 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Kitty Kallen Decca 45 Record #29037 EX Little Things Mean A Lot / I Don't Think US $3.99 [0 bids]
MACHINE GUN FEEDBACK hey i'm a spaceman 12" 4 trk b/w i think i do,dogsh*tface a US $31.50 Buy It Now 2h 31m
WHERE'S LISSE tutorial 12" b/w i'll think of something, red light and call it th US $23.86 Buy It Now 2h 33m
CHRISTOPHER CROSS think of laura 7" b/w words of wisdom (9296587) deletion cut t US $8.14 Buy It Now 2h 55m
DEEP PURPLE - Who Do We Think We Are - 24k Gold CD - AFZ 027 - AUDIO FIDELITY US $55.26 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - Who Do We Think We Are - 24 kt Gold CD - AFZ027 - AUDIO FIDELITY US $47.51 [0 bids]
Renee Darwish - I Think We're Alone Now BEST ONE JAPAN ONLY CD MCA VICTOR 16-TRK US $14.79 Buy It Now 2h 57m
ALL OVER THE PLACE scattered 12" 4 trk b/w think back on me, strange and back to US $10.55 Buy It Now 3h
JOHN MAYER Who Did You Think I Was RARE Australian Promo CD US $13.37 Buy It Now 3h 17m
BRENDA LEE us usual/think/lonely me/waiting game ISRAELI ISRAEL EP US $30.00 Buy It Now 3h 19m
DIANA ROSS - Why Do Fools Fall In Love / Think I'm In Love 7" Single DISCO 1981 US $3.57 Buy It Now 3h 25m
Peter, Paul & Mary - Don't Think Twice, It's All Right / Autumn To May (VG) 1963 US $6.00 [0 bids]
MIDILAND 1 ~ UNIT SIX ENJOY ~ MOLIMA THINK' IN BOUT YOU~ RADIKAL RECORDS 12'' US $5.00 [0 bids]
BOB LUMAN - 60's Sheet Music - LET'S THINK ABOUT LIVING US $22.84 Buy It Now 3h 32m
JANET JACKSON when i think of you 12" 3 trk dance remix b/w instrumental accapel US $8.14 Buy It Now 3h 33m
ADMIRAL BAILEY THINK ME DID DONE CLASS SUPERPOWER RECORDS VINYL 12' US $5.00 [0 bids]
The George Burt / Raymond MacDonald Quartet - Think About It - CD US $9.77 Buy It Now 3h 40m
LISTEN - JAY & AMERICANS - DO YOU EVER THINK OF ME - CAPTURE THE MOMENT US $4.99 [0 bids]
PM DAWN " A WATCHER'S POINT OF VIEW (DONT CHA THINK )" 12 inch VINYL SINGLE .P/S US $3.25 Buy It Now 3h 58m
TEST PRESS/ Fire On Blonde - Stop And Think (LISTEN) US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 6m
TEST PRESS/ Michelle Goulet - Stop And Think (LISTEN) US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 6m
ROSCOE ROBINSON DO IT RIGHT NOW/ HOW MUCH PRESSURE(DO YOU THINK I CAN STAND)45 US $4.00 Buy It Now 4h 7m
VAL DOONICAN IF THE WORLD STOPPED LOVIN/ I RATHER THINK OF YOU 45 VINYL DECCA US $2.00 Buy It Now 4h 7m
ROBYN HITCHCOCK AND THE EGYPTIANS so you think you're in love 12" 3 trk b/w dark US $8.14 Buy It Now 4h 8m
ELECTRO/ E. Nuri & People People - Whadday Ah Think (WL Promo) US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 10m
Madonna ?- Holiday/Think of Me 7" Vinyl 45 US $2.04 Buy It Now 4h 16m
This Means War by Blackened (CD, Feb-2009, Think Fast Records) US $0.99 [0 bids]
VINYL 12" SINGLE - Tiffany - I think we are alone now - MCAT 1211 US $14.66 Buy It Now 4h 23m
Broadcast 78 #419 - Ken Griffin organ - "Red Wing" & "Do You Ever Think Of Me" US $6.95 [0 bids]
BOOGIE/ Atlantic Starr - Think About It (WL Promo) US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 27m
BOOGIE/ One Way - Don't Think About It US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 29m
DISCO/ Cissy Houston - Think It Over US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 30m
GEORGE ROWE - THINK ABOUT THAT NEW CD US $18.60 Buy It Now 4h 30m
DISCO/ Instant Funk - Why Don't You Think About Me / Slam Dunk The Funk (WLP) US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 33m
BOOGIE/ Lillo Thomas - Who Do You Think You Are (Promo) US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 36m
SIMPLE PLAN-DON'T WANNA THINK ABOUT YOU 1-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD CS358 US $13.99 Buy It Now 4h 37m
DON'T THINK TOMORROW - NEW CD US $10.33 Buy It Now 4h 41m
GINO SOCCIO human nature 12" 3 trk b/w edited version and think back (12chalk101 US $8.14 Buy It Now 4h 41m
Black Star Brigade : They Think They Can Knock CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 44m
DANCE POP/ Jermaine Jackson - I Think It's Love (Promo) US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 47m
SORE THROAT sooner than you think + inner sleeve US $14.66 Buy It Now 4h 49m
DISCO/ Fuzzy Haskens - Not Yet / I Think I Got My Thang Together US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 52m
MARK CHESNUTT - I'll Think Of Something/Uptown Downtown US $7.00 Buy It Now 4h 53m
Rod Steward - Do Ya Think I'm Sexy 7" pop 45 rpm PICTURE SLEEVE ONLY - NM US $5.00 [0 bids]
Perry Como ?- I Think Of You 1971 Pop Ballad RCA Victor LP Album US $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 3m
MISSING PERSONS - 12" LP single - I CAN'T THINK ABOUT DANCIN' b/w FACE TO FACE US $4.99 [0 bids]
TIFFANY "I THINK WE'RE ALONE NOW" 45 rpm Vinyl (NM) With Picture Sleeve (VG+) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Boys Don't Cry- Who The Am Dam Do You Think - Rock 45 US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 45m
BOYS DON'T CRY who the am dam do you think you am 12" 2 trk b/w the cure (lgyt57 US $8.14 Buy It Now 6h 4m
Hannibal-My Kind Of Girl/I Think We've Met Before-New Orleans soul- King 45-5706 US $26.00 [12 bids]
DEEP PURPLE WHO DO WE THINK WE CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P US $146.78 Buy It Now 6h 6m
COLLIN RAYE -(45)- I THINK ABOUT YOU / I VOLUNTEER - EPIC RECORDS - 78238 - 1995 US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 14m
Blur - Think Tank (Parental Advisory, 2003) 28F US $3.90 Buy It Now 6h 20m
WYNTON MARSALIS - THINK OF ONE (LP CBS FC 38641 1983) US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 21m
CARS you might think 12" 1 trk lp version promo plays same both sides in title s US $8.14 Buy It Now 6h 22m
SUSPICIOUS MINDS w/ YOU'LL THINK OF ME - ELVIS - 45 - RCA GB-13275 Black Label US $2.99 [0 bids]
PARTRIDGE FAMILY BELL 45RPM 70's I THINK I LOVE YOU US $0.69 [0 bids]
Scott Allan - I Think We're Alone Now / I Think We're Alone Now (VG) 1979 Promo US $5.99 Buy It Now 6h 39m
Think Tank by HENRY ROLLINS (2 CD, 1998, Dreamworks/SKG Canada) US $11.99 Buy It Now 6h 39m
PSYCHOTERIA - I THINK I'LL JUST STAY HOME NEW CD US $16.64 Buy It Now 6h 41m
Rodney Crowell / But What Will The Neighbors Think / NEAR MINT nm BSK 3407 GREAT US $5.69 Buy It Now 6h 42m
Mary Hopkin. US $3.00 Buy It Now 6h 49m
GROBBERT & DUFF- I AM.... I THINK- VERY RARE- SUNSLUMP- UK- GRA 101A -MOD/ PSYCH US $32.61 [0 bids]
WE CUT CORNERS THINK NOTHING LP UK MINT SEALED US $57.99 Buy It Now 6h 57m
Ernest Tubbs = #31614 Think of me, thinking of you / Be better to your baby US $4.00 [0 bids]
Deep Purple - Who Do We Think We Are (100% Japan Ltd Ed. Mini LP w/ OBI) SHM-CD US $44.95 Buy It Now 7h 6m
Edwin Starr ~ Stronger Than You Think I Am LP ~ 20th Century Fox ~ VG++ US $7.99 [1 bids]
BLUR-THINK TANK-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD BONUS TRACK F45 US $28.99 Buy It Now 7h 12m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - ELKIE BROOKS - FOOL IF YOU THINK ITS OVER - AMS 8187 US $11.40 Buy It Now 7h 12m
ELKIE BROOKS 7" single FOOL IF YOU THINK IT'S OVER (good price) US $6.51 Buy It Now 7h 13m
ELKIE BROOKS 7" single FOOL IF YOU THINK IT'S OVER/ givin it up (good price) US $6.34 Buy It Now 7h 15m
Tim Miner - I Know You Think You Know (LP) AOR West Coast NM/EX US $14.99 Buy It Now 7h 17m
Janet Jackson When I think of you/Pretty Boy 7" vinyl picture sleeve A US $3.50 Buy It Now 7h 17m
ROD STEWART LP - GREATEST HITS - HOT LEGS, DO YOU THINK I'M SEXY +++ US $7.50 Buy It Now 7h 26m
THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY ~ I THINK I LOVE YOU / SOMEBODY WANTS TO LOVE YOU EX US $3.25 Buy It Now 7h 27m
Crowded House - Not the Girl you Think You Are - 2 CD Set (CD 1 US $16.29 Buy It Now 7h 28m
(467Z) Jack McManus, You Think I Don't Care - DJ CD US $4.88 Buy It Now 7h 30m
CELINE DION "THINK TWICE/THE POWER OF LOVE/WHERE DOES MY HEART BEAT NOW 1994 CD+ US $29.00 Buy It Now 7h 35m
8 track tape, Charley Pride, Did you think to pray? US $2.50 [0 bids]
Whitley, Keith-I Wonder Do You Think of Me-Audio CD US $2.00 [0 bids]
NEW - Think It Over by Houston, Cissy US $29.99 Buy It Now 7h 39m
Matchbox 20 - More Than You Think You Are US $1.99 Buy It Now 7h 44m
ROD STEWART-DA YA THINK I'M SEXY?/SCARRED AND SCARED-WARNER WBSD 8727 VG+/NM 12" US $16.98 Buy It Now 7h 46m
Ipana Troubadours -- COLUMBIA 2468-D - Think a Little Kindly of Me US $8.00 Buy It Now 7h 46m

More places to buy THINK music online Buy THINK & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THINK DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THINK Variety ratings distribution

THINK Variety reviews

Review by Rivertree
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Psych/Space Team & Band Submissions
4 stars THINK was one of many German incidents in the early 1970s which produced one album and then disappeared for ever and ever. The band featured skilled musicians, for example two from Hungary and one Czech who some day played in Germany with the Philharmonia Hungarica ... and then decided to stay. Soon they found some German mates to build up a six-piece crew and came in contact with the Marl/Ruhrgebiet based label Menga which 1973 released their sole album 'Variety'. This is an appropriate album title by all means.

They offer a nearly eclectic sound when mixing up classical, jazzy, symphonic, heavy, folk, blues and psych elements to something very interesting and enjoyable. With other words: this is nothing rough and unpolished ... if anything than the two bonus tracks probably, earlier recordings included on the Garden Of Delights reissue. Both appear in a more heavy rock vein where More Drops is also clearly Pink Floyd infected. The groovy All that I remember shines with some experimental gimmicks. This foreshadows the trickiness of the following regular album tracks.

THINK start the album very relaxed, folksy, the title song is decorated with violin and Frank Voigt's flute, later turning to a swinging jazzy mood and even classical impressions. And so on ... they build up a surprising chain of varying impressions provided with turns and breaks where you immediately can recognize the compositional ability. Then you will meet the mellow instrumental Watercorps - of course once interrupted by a frantic hurry-up. Drops is pervaded with hallucinatory impressions as well as jazzy excursions. The epic Draw Conclusions from partially sounds like performed by the Keef Hartley Band, bluesy with playful organ ...

... so you can hear they take the album title quite literally. And it works on top of it! Vocals are surprisingly good compared to other German bands and all in all this is somewhat relaxed music. As mentioned before 'Variety' is digitally remastered and re-issued, available via Garden Of Delights. The booklet of 32 pages holds many images, illustrating the spirit of that time very nicely. A very good progressive rock effort - recommended!

Send comments to Rivertree (BETA) | Report this review (#282043) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 15, 2010

4 stars 4.5 stars. An interesting lineup here with three Germans, two Hungarians (brothers) and a Czech. The German lead guitarist was a big fan of KING CRIMSON and PINK FLOYD while the drummer was into LED ZEPPELIN and BLACK SABBATH. The three non-German musicians were Classical musicians. They called themselves THINK because of their interest in a thinking audience. Vocals are in English and the music is in my opinion very moving and Psychedelic in nature. PINK FLOYD is the band I thought of most often. Lots of organ, guitar, flute and viola.

"Variety" opens with gentle guitar as flute and viola join in. Vocals and organ follow. It turns jazzy after 1 1/2 minutes. Great sound a minute later. What an amazing song ! "Watercorps" opens with relaxed guitar, bass and drums to start. Vocals join in as the organ floats in the background. Flute comes in and it sounds so good. Viola after 2 minutes. Another incredible track. "Drops" is the best one of all in my opinion. Experimental intro then laid back guitar and drums lead as the vocals join in. Very FLOYD-like here. It kicks in after 1 1/2 minutes. A nice flute / bass section 3 minutes in then the guitar starts to solo. Nice. It's experimental again before 5 minutes as themes are repeated.

"Draw Conclusions From..." is the longest track at 14 minutes but my least favourite. I still think it's great though. A beat with flute and guitar as vocals join in quickly. Organ follows. We get a Blues section after 3 minutes until after 5 minutes then that earlier sound returns. Best part is after 7 1/2 minutes as the flute and organ lead. Viola follows. Nice bass too. "Last Door" opens with the door squeeking open as guitar, bass, flute and percussion take over. Vocals too. A calm after 1 1/2 minutes. Nice. It picks back up a minute later to end it. Cool tune. Two bonus tracks here.The first one "More Drops" is an earlier version of "Drops", while the other is "All That I Remember". The latter is fairly catchy with vocals. Nice guitar solo 1 1/2 minutes in. Actually the guitar is more the focus here than on the other songs.

I'm very tempted to give this 5 stars because I like it so much, but in reality it's not quite that good. Still this is one amazing Krautrock record. It makes me feel really good.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#285532) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 07, 2010

Review by Guldbamsen
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site and Forum Admin
4 stars The opposite of pole vaulting

Let me introduce you to a record that really likes it, when you get drunk and turn up your stereo. It gets even more jolly and exuberant, if you then start to jump a little.....just a little in the corner - it'll sense it. Variety is very much like having an omnipresent party friend living on your shelf. He lies there dormant, until the next time his owner decides to plunge head first down a barrel of beer.

The booming organ dominated jazz rock of the first cut is a fair blueprint of what this album is about. Much in line with the sounds of the early British prog rockers, bands like Colosseum, Quartermass, Gracious and Indian Summer, Think churned out one infinitely warm and heartfelt record back in 73. The comparisons stop at the organ drive though, as Variety brings in an altogether more gooey and sticky vibe. On the first cut it shows itself in a layer that seems to come from within the organ, so as you get this streaming, oozing effervescent quality to it. Sounds absolutely brilliant matched up with the tight interplay of the rhythm section.

Then you have the small interventions happening throughout the album - popping by in the form of either a viola or the smooth guitar stylings of Gerd Pohl. The viola completely transforms the tunes it appears in, especially on that first self-titled track, where it suddenly changes the mood for a playful kind of Mozart rock. The guitar though just does what it does best, which effectively consists of pointing the band in the direction of the stars, hope for the best - and then take off!

Yet another endearing musical trait of Pohl's, is the way he riffs. Oh my word! This guy literally sounds like he's revving an old Ford Mustang! VRRROOOOOOOOOM VRRRROOOOOOUMMM!!!! Ironically, you'll have to wait until the bonus track called More Drops to get the best example of this roaring fuzzed out riffing mayhem. I can't believe this tune wasn't included on the original album! It's one of my favourite things on Variety.

Even the vocals are strangely good - considering this was recorded in Germany 1973, by Germans singing in English. Hoho.....Yeah well, I might be a little harsh, but let me tell you - we were just as horrible in Denmark, when it came to the English lingo. Damn... Anyway, on Variety the vocals are 80% accent-free, and there's additionally a pastoral shading to them that meshes incredibly well with the loftier sections, where the organ develops a quasi mellotron identity and begins to soar like a hot air balloon.

For some musical reference points, I'd say Pink Floyd in the dreamy sections, a strange mix of Black Sabbath, Amon Düül ll and King Crimson in the grainy muddied guitar riffs, and then perhaps a dash of the flute rock that made Canned Heat famous a few years prior to this release.

I think I'm with my good friend John The Mellotron rating-wise. Think's sole album is a breathtaking slice of hard edged psychedelia with a delightful jazzy twist to it. It might not have been particularly fresh and pioneering, back when it first hit the street, but then again if you decide to judge music by the same standards you do water rugby and pole vaulting, you're bound to set yourself up for nothing. Absolutely nothing. That is not zen at its finest btw, that's merely the indication of you missing the plot by several nautical miles. Music is first and foremost about feel, and that is coincidentally also the one single thing this album's got in spades! 4.5 stars.

Send comments to Guldbamsen (BETA) | Report this review (#1018850) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Post a review of THINK "Variety"