VARIETY

Studio Album, released in 1973

1. Variety (7:37)
2. Watercorps (5:07)
3. Drops (8:19)
4. Draw Conclusions From ... (13:59)
5. Last Door (3:15)
6. More Drops* (7:54)
7. All That I Remember* (6:46)

* bonus tracks on GOD reissue

Search THINK Variety lyrics

Search THINK Variety tabs

- Frank Voigt / flute, effects
- Gerd Pohl / guitar, vocals
- Ricky Ramor / bass
- Rodrigo Ramor / vocals, percussion
- Friedhelm Wördehoff / drums, percussion
- Kajo Sandrik / keyboards, viola, vocals, percussion

LP Menga MEL 3301 (1973 Germany)
CD Little Wing OF Refugees LW 1018 (1991 Germany)
CD Garden Of Delights GOD 077 (2002 Germany)
LP Amber Soundroom AS LP 027 (2004 Germany)

Thanks to Philippe Blache for the addition
and to Rivertree for the last updates

THINK MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THINK Variety Music

(C2)*Rod Stewart Da Ya Think I'm Sexy UK 7" 45 single NMint US $9.74 Buy It Now 43m 49s
INSTANT AGONY think of england 7" uk82 punk unplayed US $5.07 Buy It Now 54m 2s
Ten Years After - Think About The Times - Chrysalis Years 1969-1972 (3CD 2010) US $25.38 Buy It Now 54m 21s
Think Global Celebrate Africa! CD US $9.56 Buy It Now 58m 38s
THE BLUE MAMBAS - BLUER THAN YOU THINK' STUNNING INSTRO/VOCAL R'N'R ALBUM LISTEN US $15.23 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Milton Henry who do you think I am? DIGIPAK CD SEALED BRAND NEW US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Dink Perry - Think Dink CD US $18.62 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Who Do You Think You Are Kidding Jurgen Klinsmann? [Single], Tonedef Allstars fe US $4.61 Buy It Now 1h 24m
HOTLEGS-YOU DIDN'T LIKE IT BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T THINK OF IT-JAPAN PROMO WL+OBI iii US $59.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?, N-Trance Feat. Rod Stewart, Good Maxi, Single US $4.61 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Think Twice, Celine Dion, Good Single US $4.61 Buy It Now 1h 36m
MASTERS' APPRENTICES THINK ABOUT TOMORROW TODAY A" LABEL PROMO 1970 PROG RARE!!! US $34.45 [5 bids]
SMOKEY - IF YOU THINK YOU KNOW HOWTO LOVE ME 7" VINYL US $6.76 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Hellacopters Think It Over Quadracopters Hellajets 7'' Vinyl Record Quadrajets US $74.99 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Raye,Collin - I Think About You [CD New] US $10.31 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Showaddywaddy - Blue Moon / I Think I'm Really Going Out Of My Mind 7" Sgl 1980 US $16.27 Buy It Now 2h 35m
BOYS DON'T CRY who the am dam do you think you am 041 7" PS EX/EX US $11.84 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Blur - Think Tank REMASTERED 180 GRAM DOUBLE LP - With MP3 Code (NEW SEALED) US $35.57 Buy It Now 2h 43m
EZRA NGCUKANA you think you know me JAJ 3 near mint disc jive jazz LP PS EX/EX US $15.23 Buy It Now 3h
CHERYL LADD (CHARLIE'S ANGELS) think it over/you turn me around 7" PS EX/VG sos US $11.84 Buy It Now 3h
MISSING PERSONS i can't think about dancin' near mint disc usa 1986 12" PS NM/EX US $15.23 Buy It Now 3h 8m
DO MAKE SAY THINK - OTHER TRUTHS - NEW CD US $8.32 Buy It Now 3h 10m
Rock 45 - THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY "I Think I Love You" BELL RECORDS w/ Sleeve US $0.99 [0 bids]
TIFFANY (NEW SEALED CD) GREATEST HITS / VERY BEST OF ( I THINK WE'RE ALONE NOW ) US $8.22 Buy It Now 3h 45m
BILLY PAUL let 'em in/i think i'll stay home today S PIR 5143 uk 1976 7" WS EX/ US $11.84 Buy It Now 3h 51m
Soul Modern Boogie 80's 12"-Main Ingredient-Spoiled/Think Positive-US RCA issue US $32.20 Buy It Now 3h 54m
Jerry Cummings - All I Do Is Think Of You - Mecca US $16.95 Buy It Now 3h 55m
Kiki Dee - I / Stop And Think - Fontana US $33.89 Buy It Now 3h 55m
BLUR - LP Platinum Disc - THINK TANK US $186.40 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Shudder To Think Hit Liquor CD Single US $5.91 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Kandi Dont Think I'm Not CD US $3.81 Buy It Now 4h 2m
MIKE BERRY don't you think it's time U.K. HMV 45rpm POP-1105_orig 1962 US $5.62 Buy It Now 4h 4m
LAGWAGON - I THINK MY OLDER BROTHER USED TO LISTEN TO LAGWAGON - NEW CD US $4.66 Buy It Now 4h 11m
THE BABYS - EVERY TIME I THINK OF YOU 7" VINYL US $7.61 Buy It Now 4h 23m
Perry Como - I Think Of You - RCA - SF8201 - Stereo (LP) US $5.07 Buy It Now 4h 28m
More Than You Think You Are - Matchbox Twenty US $6.18 Buy It Now 4h 44m
N-TRANCE "DA YA THINK I'M SEXY" 2 TRACK TAPE 1997 ex US $1.68 Buy It Now 4h 45m
BOB LUMAN - LET'S THINK ABOUT LIVIN' [CD BOXSET] [5 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $135.27 Buy It Now 4h 52m
THE CHESTERFIELDS Think It Over NEW NORTHERN SOUL 45 (GRAPEVINE) 7" VINYL LISTEN US $18.62 Buy It Now 4h 55m
WYNTON MARSALIS - THINK OF ONE - NEW CD US $8.49 Buy It Now 4h 59m
45 RECORD CLYDE MCPHATTER- THINK ME A KISS US $13.49 Buy It Now 5h 2m
Think I Care : World Asylum CD (2006) US $3.96 Buy It Now 5h 7m
THE DOOLEYS - THINK I'M GONNA FALL IN LOVE WITH YOU 7" VINYL US $6.76 Buy It Now 5h 16m
Rough Trade For Those Who Think Young 1st 1982 USA Press SEALED MINT US $30.00 Buy It Now 5h 21m
DJH FEATURING STEFY - Think About ... 1991 UK 7" US $4.24 Buy It Now 5h 28m
DON GIBSON-Sea Of Heartbreak/I Think It's Best (To Forget Me) UK 7" VG+ Cond US $13.54 Buy It Now 5h 28m
THE FARMERS BOYS - I THINK I NEED HELP 7" VINYL PS US $8.46 Buy It Now 5h 31m
THINK OF ONE - TR FICO - NEW CD US $13.36 Buy It Now 5h 38m
Spanky Wilson 45 Non-Stop Flight / I Think ~ Westbound VG (Detroit soul) US $7.69 Buy It Now 5h 39m
Andy Adams and Egg Cream 8012 I Think It's Time We Met US $6.30 Buy It Now 5h 57m
CHERYL LADD think it over JAPAN 7" PROMO ECR-20477 US $17.99 Buy It Now 6h 2m
Allure All Cried Out Everytime I Think of You CD US $3.99 Buy It Now 6h 5m
CHRISTOPHER CROSS 1983 WARNER BROTHERS 7" THINK OF LAURA / WORDS OF WISDOM EXC US $2.95 Buy It Now 6h 11m
THE JEFF HEALEY BAND - I THINK I LOVE YOU TOO MUCH 7" VINYL PS US $7.61 Buy It Now 6h 11m
Deep Purple. Who Do We Think We Are US $4.99 [0 bids]
** ROLAND BURRELL DONT THINK ABOUT TOMORROW DIGITAL MURDERATION 1stTIME ON 45 US $14.81 Buy It Now 6h 20m
Al Dexter GUITAR POLKA / HONEY DO YOU THINK IT'S WRONG Columbia Records 78rpm US $10.00 Buy It Now 6h 21m
ROY LONEY - DRUNKARD IN THE THINK TANK - NEW CD US $9.43 Buy It Now 6h 21m
Rod Stewart - Sailing/ Da Ya Think I'm Sexy - WB17535 (Dutch 7") US $8.46 Buy It Now 6h 22m
28 BIG ONES by MAXINE BROWN do it now ALL IN MY MIND think of me NEW rare TAPE US $5.88 [0 bids]
THE MERSEYBEATS - I THINK OF YOU 7" VINYL US $7.61 Buy It Now 6h 29m
THE MERSEYBEATS - WISHIN' AND HOPIN' / I THINK OF YOU 7" VINYL US $10.15 Buy It Now 6h 30m
THINK JET -HONOR Private Hollywood Possum '86 LP US PSYCH ALTERNATIVE ROCK rare! US $13.54 Buy It Now 6h 32m
Dandelion - Under My Skin (Single) I Think I'm Gonna Be Sick US $0.10 [0 bids]
R.DEAN TAYLOR 8 TRACK-I THINK, THEREFORE I AM-STILL IN PLASTIC WRAP US $1.95 Buy It Now 6h 50m
Spektr-Mescalyn mCD Think of BLACKLODGE and LA DIVISION MENTALE ! US $4.01 Buy It Now 6h 53m
COLLIN RAYE I think about you WHAT IF JESUS COMES BACK LIKE THAT new tape US $8.78 [0 bids]
THE BPA I THINK WE'RE GONNA NEED A BIGGER BOAT JAPAN CD OBI F6253 US $5.99 Buy It Now 6h 54m
BRENDA LEE 7" PS JAPAN THINK i814 US $12.99 Buy It Now 6h 59m
886978380524 Watching You Think [Import] Neema FREEPOST DIGIPAK CD US $6.59 Buy It Now 7h 2m
TOMMY DORSEY & ORCHESTRA You Think Of Ev'rything VICTOR 78 26636 Hong Kong Blues US $16.00 Buy It Now 7h 3m
advanced SETTIE & I Think Too Much cd & promo cassette sampler Brian Fellows US $13.95 [0 bids]
GARBAGE I THINK I'M PARANOID rare EU CD single 4 tracks US $21.99 Buy It Now 7h 5m
GARBAGE - I THINK I'M PARANOID rare DJ PRO CD Argentina US $14.99 Buy It Now 7h 8m
Elaine Lachica , Audio CD, I Think I Can See the Ocean US $7.09 Buy It Now 7h 10m
B.T. Express: Close To You / Whatcha Think 45 - Soul US $2.63 Buy It Now 7h 10m
ROLL WITH IT THINK I'VE GOT A FEELING I'VE LOST INSIDE JAPAN CD OBI Y826 US $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 10m
DIANA KING THINK LIKE A GIRL JAPAN CD F7276 US $3.99 Buy It Now 7h 11m
7" FREDDY KING "THATS WHAT YOU THINK" BLUES ROCKER US $11.00 Buy It Now 7h 12m
BARBARA LEWIS ~ HELLO STRANGER/ THINK A LITTLE SUGAR ~ NM NORTHERN SOUL 45 US $13.50 Buy It Now 7h 22m
Whaddaya Think Of That - Berkner,Laurie US $10.84 Buy It Now 7h 28m
It's Bluer Than You Think by Under Melissa Blue (CD, Mar-1999, Orchard... US $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 31m
George Jones - Four-O-Thirty Three / Don't Think I Don't 45 rpm 1966 US $2.75 Buy It Now 7h 36m
Perry Como: I think of you / El condor pasa 7" 45rpm vinyl record 4c US $3.00 Buy It Now 7h 37m
Chicago: Sonny think twice / Hard to say i'm sorry 7" 45rpm vinyl record 4c US $3.00 Buy It Now 7h 41m
Aldo Vanucci - Naive / I Think I'm Gonna make it 7" US $5.35 Buy It Now 7h 50m
The Coral(CD Single Promo)Don't Think You're The First-Deltasonic US $9.29 Buy It Now 7h 56m
The Basement(CD Single Promo)Do You Think You're Movin On?-Deltasonic US $8.29 Buy It Now 7h 57m
The Zutons(CD Single Promo)Don't Ever Think-Deltasonic-DLTCDP026-Very Good US $7.29 Buy It Now 7h 58m
MONEY eddie SUPER HITS baby hold on THINK I'M IN LOVE be my baby NEW TAPE US $4.45 [0 bids]
Ella Fitzgerald-Don't you think I ought to know-10" 78rpm Brunswick US $16.93 Buy It Now 7h 58m
Deep Purple - Who do we Think We Are ( Lp - France - 1972 ) US $29.99 Buy It Now 8h 11m
Lorne Gibson - I Think It's Best To Forget Me / Hang Up The Phone Decca DEMO 7" US $11.84 Buy It Now 8h 19m
CHERYL LADD (CHARLIE'S ANGELS)....THINK IT OVER & MONO...1978 CAN PROMO..."HEAR US $2.99 [0 bids]
Garbage I think Im paranoid Deadwood 7" vinyl US $4.00 [0 bids]
Stiletto Fetish I Think I Love You 12" Canada ZZ Top Glam US $10.79 Buy It Now 8h 27m
Bob Riley Rare 45 RPM I Think It's A Shame/Blue Guitar Waltz US $0.99 [0 bids]
The Soul Sisters 45 RPM "The Right Time/Think About The Good Times" US $0.99 [0 bids]
SANDIE SHAW think sometimes abiut me 1966 UK PYE 45 US $10.17 Buy It Now 8h 37m
VERY RARE! Bob Dylan-DJ-Blowin' in the Wind/Don't Think Twice,It's All Right-NM US $350.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy THINK music online Buy THINK & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THINK DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THINK Variety ratings distribution

THINK Variety reviews

Review by Rivertree
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Psych/Space Team & Band Submissions
4 stars THINK was one of many German incidents in the early 1970s which produced one album and then disappeared for ever and ever. The band featured skilled musicians, for example two from Hungary and one Czech who some day played in Germany with the Philharmonia Hungarica ... and then decided to stay. Soon they found some German mates to build up a six-piece crew and came in contact with the Marl/Ruhrgebiet based label Menga which 1973 released their sole album 'Variety'. This is an appropriate album title by all means.

They offer a nearly eclectic sound when mixing up classical, jazzy, symphonic, heavy, folk, blues and psych elements to something very interesting and enjoyable. With other words: this is nothing rough and unpolished ... if anything than the two bonus tracks probably, earlier recordings included on the Garden Of Delights reissue. Both appear in a more heavy rock vein where More Drops is also clearly Pink Floyd infected. The groovy All that I remember shines with some experimental gimmicks. This foreshadows the trickiness of the following regular album tracks.

THINK start the album very relaxed, folksy, the title song is decorated with violin and Frank Voigt's flute, later turning to a swinging jazzy mood and even classical impressions. And so on ... they build up a surprising chain of varying impressions provided with turns and breaks where you immediately can recognize the compositional ability. Then you will meet the mellow instrumental Watercorps - of course once interrupted by a frantic hurry-up. Drops is pervaded with hallucinatory impressions as well as jazzy excursions. The epic Draw Conclusions from partially sounds like performed by the Keef Hartley Band, bluesy with playful organ ...

... so you can hear they take the album title quite literally. And it works on top of it! Vocals are surprisingly good compared to other German bands and all in all this is somewhat relaxed music. As mentioned before 'Variety' is digitally remastered and re-issued, available via Garden Of Delights. The booklet of 32 pages holds many images, illustrating the spirit of that time very nicely. A very good progressive rock effort - recommended!

Send comments to Rivertree (BETA) | Report this review (#282043) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 15, 2010

4 stars 4.5 stars. An interesting lineup here with three Germans, two Hungarians (brothers) and a Czech. The German lead guitarist was a big fan of KING CRIMSON and PINK FLOYD while the drummer was into LED ZEPPELIN and BLACK SABBATH. The three non-German musicians were Classical musicians. They called themselves THINK because of their interest in a thinking audience. Vocals are in English and the music is in my opinion very moving and Psychedelic in nature. PINK FLOYD is the band I thought of most often. Lots of organ, guitar, flute and viola.

"Variety" opens with gentle guitar as flute and viola join in. Vocals and organ follow. It turns jazzy after 1 1/2 minutes. Great sound a minute later. What an amazing song ! "Watercorps" opens with relaxed guitar, bass and drums to start. Vocals join in as the organ floats in the background. Flute comes in and it sounds so good. Viola after 2 minutes. Another incredible track. "Drops" is the best one of all in my opinion. Experimental intro then laid back guitar and drums lead as the vocals join in. Very FLOYD-like here. It kicks in after 1 1/2 minutes. A nice flute / bass section 3 minutes in then the guitar starts to solo. Nice. It's experimental again before 5 minutes as themes are repeated.

"Draw Conclusions From..." is the longest track at 14 minutes but my least favourite. I still think it's great though. A beat with flute and guitar as vocals join in quickly. Organ follows. We get a Blues section after 3 minutes until after 5 minutes then that earlier sound returns. Best part is after 7 1/2 minutes as the flute and organ lead. Viola follows. Nice bass too. "Last Door" opens with the door squeeking open as guitar, bass, flute and percussion take over. Vocals too. A calm after 1 1/2 minutes. Nice. It picks back up a minute later to end it. Cool tune. Two bonus tracks here.The first one "More Drops" is an earlier version of "Drops", while the other is "All That I Remember". The latter is fairly catchy with vocals. Nice guitar solo 1 1/2 minutes in. Actually the guitar is more the focus here than on the other songs.

I'm very tempted to give this 5 stars because I like it so much, but in reality it's not quite that good. Still this is one amazing Krautrock record. It makes me feel really good.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#285532) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 07, 2010

Review by Guldbamsen
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site and Forum Admin
4 stars The opposite of pole vaulting

Let me introduce you to a record that really likes it, when you get drunk and turn up your stereo. It gets even more jolly and exuberant, if you then start to jump a little.....just a little in the corner - it'll sense it. Variety is very much like having an omnipresent party friend living on your shelf. He lies there dormant, until the next time his owner decides to plunge head first down a barrel of beer.

The booming organ dominated jazz rock of the first cut is a fair blueprint of what this album is about. Much in line with the sounds of the early British prog rockers, bands like Colosseum, Quartermass, Gracious and Indian Summer, Think churned out one infinitely warm and heartfelt record back in 73. The comparisons stop at the organ drive though, as Variety brings in an altogether more gooey and sticky vibe. On the first cut it shows itself in a layer that seems to come from within the organ, so as you get this streaming, oozing effervescent quality to it. Sounds absolutely brilliant matched up with the tight interplay of the rhythm section.

Then you have the small interventions happening throughout the album - popping by in the form of either a viola or the smooth guitar stylings of Gerd Pohl. The viola completely transforms the tunes it appears in, especially on that first self-titled track, where it suddenly changes the mood for a playful kind of Mozart rock. The guitar though just does what it does best, which effectively consists of pointing the band in the direction of the stars, hope for the best - and then take off!

Yet another endearing musical trait of Pohl's, is the way he riffs. Oh my word! This guy literally sounds like he's revving an old Ford Mustang! VRRROOOOOOOOOM VRRRROOOOOOUMMM!!!! Ironically, you'll have to wait until the bonus track called More Drops to get the best example of this roaring fuzzed out riffing mayhem. I can't believe this tune wasn't included on the original album! It's one of my favourite things on Variety.

Even the vocals are strangely good - considering this was recorded in Germany 1973, by Germans singing in English. Hoho.....Yeah well, I might be a little harsh, but let me tell you - we were just as horrible in Denmark, when it came to the English lingo. Damn... Anyway, on Variety the vocals are 80% accent-free, and there's additionally a pastoral shading to them that meshes incredibly well with the loftier sections, where the organ develops a quasi mellotron identity and begins to soar like a hot air balloon.

For some musical reference points, I'd say Pink Floyd in the dreamy sections, a strange mix of Black Sabbath, Amon Düül ll and King Crimson in the grainy muddied guitar riffs, and then perhaps a dash of the flute rock that made Canned Heat famous a few years prior to this release.

I think I'm with my good friend John The Mellotron rating-wise. Think's sole album is a breathtaking slice of hard edged psychedelia with a delightful jazzy twist to it. It might not have been particularly fresh and pioneering, back when it first hit the street, but then again if you decide to judge music by the same standards you do water rugby and pole vaulting, you're bound to set yourself up for nothing. Absolutely nothing. That is not zen at its finest btw, that's merely the indication of you missing the plot by several nautical miles. Music is first and foremost about feel, and that is coincidentally also the one single thing this album's got in spades! 4.5 stars.

Send comments to Guldbamsen (BETA) | Report this review (#1018850) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Post a review of THINK "Variety"