Hero

Hero Hero album cover

Buy HERO Music
Studio Album, released in 1974

1. Merry Go Round (4:21)
2. Crumbs of a Day (4:41)
3. Sunday Best (5:57)
4. Seminar (3:17)
5. Childrens Game (5:02)
6. Knock (4:52)
7. Clapping and Smiing (9:05)
8. Dew-Drops (7:03)

- Umberto Maschio / drums

LP Hero Pan (87 304 IT) - Germany 1974
CD Hero AMS/BTF (AMS 104) 2006
Recorded in 1972

Thanks to micky for the addition
and to mellotron storm for the last updates

HERO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy HERO Hero Music

GYM CLASS HEROES the quilt +2 Japan CD 2008 SEALED USD $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 32m
New! "GUITAR HEROES, VOLUME 1" Derringer/Lukather (CD 2004) 16-Tracks **SEALED** USD $13.88 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Super Junior HERO 2CD DVD Random Card Japan First Limited Edition K-POP Kyu NEW! USD $89.80 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Beta Band, Heroes to Zeros Audio CD USD $20.98 Buy It Now 2h
The World Needs a Hero [PA] by Megadeth (CD, May-2001, Sanctuary (USA)) USD $5.00 [10 bids]
KIRK FRANKLIN hero JAPAN 2 CD SEALED GO14 USD $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Lot of 4 Jimi Hendrix LPs - War Heroes - What'd I Say - The Genius of - Ladyland USD $20.50 [5 bids]
PROTEST THE HERO - GALLOP MEETS THE EARTH (+DVD) NEW CD USD $16.16 Buy It Now 2h 31m
GYM CLASS HEROES - New Friend Request - CD single USD $5.78 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Fleetwood Mac 1974 Reprise promo 45rpm Heroes Are Hard To Find Mono/Stereo versn USD $6.40 Buy It Now 2h 50m
Heros to Zeros by The Beta Band (Apr 27, 2004) Japan(Promo)CD W/OBI USD $10.99 Buy It Now 2h 56m
T'PAU & GO WEST - 80S HEROES on 2 CD's - NEW - USD $11.97 Buy It Now 3h
Imagination Movers - Juice Box Heroes CD USD $10.99 Buy It Now 3h 10m
Jackson 5 Remixes Two Get It Together Japan Vinyl 12" Michael Five 4Hero Topless USD $64.99 Buy It Now 3h 12m
Nik Kershaw : Reluctant Hero Article & Picture(s) USD $10.82 Buy It Now 3h 22m
VARIOUS ARTISTS - WE STILL HAVE HEROES: TRIBUTE - EP CD USD $12.66 Buy It Now 3h 28m
Tina Turner : We Don't Need Another Hero Single Advert 5x8 USD $7.73 Buy It Now 3h 35m
Ultravox : Return Of The Video Heroes Article & Pictures USD $10.05 Buy It Now 3h 36m
eugene mc daniels the left rev. mc d. headless heroes.. cd blues soul USD $10.99 Buy It Now 3h 38m
TONY GUNTER - BUSH MEN AND HEROES - RARE OZ Cassette USD $7.83 Buy It Now 4h 9m
Guitar Hero 3 III Legends Of Rock Champion Pack Soundtrack CD - New USD $10.64 Buy It Now 4h 17m
(Tv Hits) Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles Colour Pin Up Poster 11x8" USD $12.36 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Arlo - Stab The Unstoppable Hero (+2 Bonus Track) Japan ver. USD $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 21m
Judas Priest 2-LP vinyl record (Double Album) Hero Hero UK GUD2005/6 USD $29.75 Buy It Now 4h 22m
Johnny Wakelin Tennessee Hero (Elvis) 7" vinyl single record UK 7N45460 USD $16.92 Buy It Now 4h 23m
Just Who Is The 5 O'clock Hero Jam 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) German USD $27.72 Buy It Now 4h 24m
M-People Search For The Hero CD single (CD5 / 5") German 74321287962 USD $19.30 Buy It Now 4h 25m
George Fenton HERO Soundtrack CD Luther Vandross 19 trks MINT *starccomed1 USD $7.83 Buy It Now 4h 26m
Hero Jr Demo audio disc USD $0.99 [0 bids]
As Cruel as School Children [Edited] by Gym Class Heroes (CD, Jul-2006, Fueled b USD $1.25 [0 bids]
CRISS 99 NON-STOP HEROES SWE. GLAM / WAVE LP 1986 2NN VER. W. HOT LOVE T-REX COV USD $20.39 Buy It Now 4h 38m
Hogan's Heroes memorabilia Pages From An Autograph Book UK Autographed USD $74.10 Buy It Now 4h 40m
Tim Hinkley Hinkley's Heroes SEALED 1999 Akarma CD Renaissance Strawbs Snafu USD $17.95 Buy It Now 4h 42m
4 Hero - "Les Fleur / 9 By 9" 2001 UK Talkin' Loud, TLX66 Electronic VG+ USD $37.99 Buy It Now 4h 42m
Johnny Hates Jazz ~45~ I Don't Want To Be A Hero ~ MINT USD $4.95 Buy It Now 4h 42m
Hero And Heroine Strawbs vinyl LP album record South African AMLH63607 A USD $60.19 Buy It Now 4h 55m
Roger Trio Kellaway - Heroes CD USD $19.69 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Foreigner Juke Box Hero 7" vinyl single record Japanese P-1636 ATLANTIC 1981 USD $27.74 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Vanessa Carlton Heroes USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Little Heroes Young Hearts 7" vinyl single record UK EMI5364 EMI 1982 USD $16.13 Buy It Now 5h 5m
Half Hearted Hero Deadhorse - Split Colv 7-Inch Single Vinyl Record USD $13.69 Buy It Now 5h 8m
Various - Heroes & Legends - 20 Rock'n'Roll Greats LP USD $5.63 Buy It Now 5h 8m
Tim Hinkley,NEW CD,Hinkley's Heroes,Mitch Mitchell,Poli Palmer,Import,Hinkley's USD $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 10m
Hero Destroyed [EP] CD SEALED 2008 Relapse Pittsburgh Metal FREE SHIPPING in US USD $5.00 Buy It Now 5h 15m
Strawbs vinyl LP album record Hero And Heroine South African AMLS63607 A USD $44.74 Buy It Now 5h 16m
Future Bible Heroes, Memories of Love Audio CD USD $14.98 Buy It Now 5h 18m
Compilation : Ska Heroes (2CDs) USD $12.75 Buy It Now 5h 28m
Sabaton - Heroes CD NEW USD $16.74 Buy It Now 5h 28m
Libertines Time For Heroes CD single (CD5 / 5") UK RTRADESCD074 ROUGH TRADE USD $23.95 Buy It Now 5h 39m
Little Feat vinyl LP album record Time Loves A Hero UK K56349 WARNER BROS 1977 USD $18.47 Buy It Now 5h 40m
CD FREDDY KING "BLUES GUITAR HERO VOLUME 2" ACE BLUES USD $19.00 Buy It Now 5h 57m
THE LEATHER NUN INTERNATIONAL HEROES INDIE ROCK THROBBING GRISTLE SPK SWEDEN LP USD $59.99 Buy It Now 5h 58m
CD FREDDY KING "BLUES GUITAR HERO" ACE BLUES USD $19.00 Buy It Now 6h 2m
Mariah Carey Hero 3" CD single (CD3) Japanese SRDS8267 SONY 1993 USD $34.77 Buy It Now 6h 6m
Beach Boys Heroes And Villains - 4pr UK 7" vinyl single record CL15510 CAPITOL USD $23.10 Buy It Now 6h 11m
Bonnie Tyler : Holding Out For A Hero Songwords USD $5.41 Buy It Now 6h 20m
HELL IS FOR HEROES - Magazine Poster USD $6.95 Buy It Now 6h 23m
One Perfect Day Little Heroes UK 7" vinyl single record EMI5389 EMI 1982 USD $16.92 Buy It Now 6h 29m
RICHARD TAUBER "My Hero / Serenade From Frasquita" PARLOPHONE ODEON [78 RPM] USD $10.74 Buy It Now 6h 29m
MATT PITT One Way Street CD Little Hero My Kinda Love Kiss 11 trks USED USD $4.50 Buy It Now 6h 30m
Tina Turner : We Don't Need Another Hero Single Advert 3x8" From Mad Max USD $4.64 Buy It Now 6h 41m
Megadeth - The World Needs A Hero / TH Cassette USD $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 45m
Sixties Rock - Beach Boys -Heroes and Villains USD $1.53 [0 bids]
LUKE KELLY WORKING CLASS HERO CD USD $12.27 Buy It Now 6h 52m
MAGIK BRITE Clinical Heroes (CD,2008) Industrial Metal | Synthpop USD $12.50 Buy It Now 6h 53m
Electric Light Orchestra Wild West Hero UK 7" vinyl single record JET109 JET USD $18.45 Buy It Now 6h 57m
It Bites(Pic 7" Vinyl)Calling All The Heroes-Virgin-VSY872-UK-Ex/Ex USD $11.99 Buy It Now 7h 7m
ELO(7" Vinyl P/s)Wild West Hero-Jet Records-S Jet 109-UK-VG/VG USD $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 7m
Bonnie Tyler(7" Vinyl)Holding Out For A Hero-CBS-A 4251-UK-Ex/NM USD $8.99 Buy It Now 7h 7m
Hell Is For Heroes You Drove Me To It CD single (CD5 / 5") UK CDWISH003 USD $18.53 Buy It Now 7h 9m
The Stranglers(7" Vinyl)No More Heroes-United Artist-UP 36300-UK-Ex/NM USD $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 12m
Tina Turner(7" Vinyl)We Don't Another Hero-Capitol-CL 364-UK-VG/Ex USD $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 12m
Tina Turner(7" Vinyl)We Don't Need Another Hero-Capitol-CL 364-UK-VG/VG+ USD $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 12m
Metallica CD single (CD5 / 5") Hero Of The Day + Poster UK METCY13 VERTIGO USD $42.50 Buy It Now 7h 16m
Daily Planet, Hero Audio CD USD $4.00 Buy It Now 7h 22m
4 Hero In Rough Territory LP Reinforced Records 1991 USD $30.89 Buy It Now 7h 24m
Calling All The Heroes It Bites UK 7" vinyl single record VS872 VIRGIN 1986 USD $15.36 Buy It Now 7h 26m
Deubner; Berlin Chamber Sym...-Symphony No. 5, Hero Und Leand CD NEW USD $16.07 Buy It Now 7h 35m
Michael Ball - Heroes [CD New] USD $12.28 Buy It Now 7h 40m
45 RPM Vinyl The Beach Boys Heroes And Villains Brother Records 45SM3 USD $13.49 Buy It Now 7h 41m
STREET HERO - OZ SOUNDTRACK FEAT. J. ENGLISH, RENEE GEYER, DRAGON, ROSS WILSON USD $12.52 Buy It Now 7h 44m
The Fly - February 2003 Hell Is For Heroes UK magazine FEBRUARY 2003 THE FLY USD $13.04 Buy It Now 7h 46m
Le Beau/Mayer/Mendelssohn-He - Symphony No. 5 Hero Und Leand [CD New] USD $14.62 Buy It Now 7h 47m
Heros David Bowie - Word Wall Art Typography Song Lyrics Verse USD $9.20 Buy It Now 7h 54m
PET Pet CD Skin Tite Hero Life Bed Fatherland 360 Degrees 13 trks MINT USD $8.61 Buy It Now 7h 58m
Clarence Clemons(Vinyl LP)Hero-CBS-CBS 26743-UK-Ex+/NM USD $20.07 Buy It Now 7h 59m
Grigolo, Vittorio - The Romantic Hero NEW CD USD $16.67 Buy It Now 8h
Vittorio Grigolo The Romantic Hero CD USD $17.12 Buy It Now 8h 2m
DIARIES OF A HERO-self titled/10 trax/vg con cd/2014 USD $0.39 [0 bids]
BONNIE TYLER_Holding Out For A Hero_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships frm AUS!_E1b USD $9.39 Buy It Now 8h 24m
TRAVIE McCOY-LAZARUS (FROM GYM CLASS HEROES) 10 TRACK CD-NEW-BRUNO MARS-T-PAIN USD $9.39 Buy It Now 8h 33m
JIM REEVES ~ HEROES COLLECTION 2 CD 50 CLASSIC TRACKS STUDIO AND LIVE RECORDINGS USD $6.17 Buy It Now 8h 35m
PALO ALTO/PALOALTO - HEROES AND VILLAINS - NEW CD USD $17.19 Buy It Now 8h 40m
cd STILTSKIN SCARED OF HEROES Munich 1994 USD $26.99 Buy It Now 8h 43m
Archers of Loaf White Trash Heroes (CD, Sep-1998, Alias Records) USD $13.99 Buy It Now 8h 46m
Lake, Tim - We All Need Heroes USD $15.05 Buy It Now 8h 49m
JOHN LENNON-THE DEFINITIVE LENNON-WORKING CLASS HERO-2 CD SET-AUSTRALIA-2005 USD $10.96 Buy It Now 8h 53m
MERCILESS MAMA COOKIN 12'' LITTLE HERO WICKED MALVO GREENSLEEVES DIGI ROOTS USD $10.80 Buy It Now 9h
IT BITES - VINTAGE ADVERT - 1986 - CALLING ALL THE HEROES USD $10.80 Buy It Now 9h 2m
Innerlogics - Modern Hero CD USD $4.62 Buy It Now 9h 7m
CD hero
~ USD $14.23
LP hero
~ USD $23.33

More places to buy HERO music online Buy HERO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for HERO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

HERO Hero ratings distribution

HERO Hero reviews

Review by micky
2 stars I came onto this album, last fall, in a shameful attempt to outdo the master himself Erik Neuteboom in finding albums and groups that even the family members of the group members themselves , wouldn't even remember or know hahaha. I saw that this album was being rereleased after being long out of print. I saw the chance to have a rereleased 1974 RPI (Rock Progressivo Italiano) album that probably few had heard, and I jumped at it. First impresssions... a waste of $18 musically though still a chance to add a new artist to the my beloved RPI, and my expense check from PA's would cover that cost hahaha. My enthusiasm for trying to outdo Erik however waned and the group sat outside PA's and the album sat on my shelf. Fast forward several months later and I'm sitting at the computer, screwing around on PA's and I felt the urge to hear something different. I spied the baby blue cover of the CD crying out to be heard at least one more time so I gave it another chance, this time something grabbed me. I listened again.. and again .. and again. Don't let me kid you, this album is not the 2nd coming of Close to the Edge.. or even Caress of Steel hahaha but it is a decent album. Over time several of the tracks have actually grown on me to attain 'crank it up' status. All in all .. not a bad album by any means.

The music is generally a heavy prog, with the Hammond Organ the predominant instrument. Enough time changes to keep the listener on his toes, not virutoso musicians by any stretch of the imagination but very competant. The opening track Merry Go Round with that..great organ riff was the first thing on the album that really grabbed me. Sounds so good with the amplifier on 11. The next song Crumbs Of A Day is not bad, the 9/8 section in the middle salvages the song from the irratating guitar meanderings. Sunday's Best has a lovely atmospheric intro that extends well into the song that I enjoy. Seminar is a hard proggin song with a driving rhythm and nice Hammond organ as well. Children's Game is somewhat bland.. not much happening there, not really a favorite. Knock begins with... of course hahah.. a piano riff that immitates the pounding of fists on a door. Nice tempo death spiral into some musical meandering and noodling before heading into the main verse sections of the song. Once again nice stuff, nothing too exciting. Clapping and Smiliing is my favorite track on the album, at 9+ minutes a nice prog mini epic. A nice piano melody with accompanied by the accoustic guitar starts the song, continuing through the first verse sections. The pace changes with a nice gutar and organ riff that brings in the next verse sections. No clue what the song is about, but this is prog.. not pop. I don't listen to lyrics for the most part. Love the spacey atmospheric ending to the song. Good stuff. Dew-Drops is up next. It's primarily a showcase for Deller's keyboard work. Varied and interesting... good stuff.

As noted in the main section of the review, the lyrics aren't particularly noteworthy. Heck in many sections I can't understand what he is singing. It is in English but Deller either didn't have a powerful voice or he was put low in the mix. Again, it's alright, this is prog not pop. Lyrics are an afterthought hahah. Nice album.. one I like to listen to occasionally when vegging out on PA's or reading a book. I'll give it a personal rating of 2.5 stars for me and give it 1.5 for the forum at large. Not exactly unique or inventive, but with enough listens.. you may find something you like. I did and listen to this album more than all my Genesis albums combined hahha. Anyway 2 stars.. for collectors of RPI only.

Michael aka micky

Send comments to micky (BETA) | Report this review (#109078) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 26, 2007

Review by Finnforest
4 stars Something was in the water.

This one goes on my lost gem shelf. One of the weirdest albums I've heard in a while but I've taken quite a liking to it. At first play you might really think this sucks but it is a definite grower.

It might be categorized as Italian symphonic but to my ears this is lost hard psych rock. Very strange, like mixing Sabbath riffs with Jan Dukes de Grey, Traffic pacing, and some Morrison darkness in the lyrics.

Another view of the sound is as follows: "Musically I would consider Hero a combination of art rock with a heavy progressive feel, there are vibes from Gong, Van Der Graaf Generator, early Floyd and King Crimson most definitely, but there is also a dark doomy sound to it as well." [end quote from www.Italianprog.com]

The 9-minute standout track "Clapping and Smiling" is really quite a departure from the earlier tracks, featuring a lovely piano and folksy acoustic guitar for the first third. Then things again get powerful with hard vocals, Bill Ward style drumming and guitar that begs to be played loud. That final third of the song slows down again and gets pretty spacey and reminds me a little of Syd Barrett were he fronting a hard rock band! I told you this was weird stuff!

The album closes with a nice acoustic piece called "Buzzard" which serves to smooth out the previous sonic assaults and talk us in off the ledge. The final lyrical line is: "My pain will serve to be something." Before the album was even released their guitarist Massimo was killed in an auto wreck adding further weight to the strange mood of this work.

The playing is both amateurish-sounding in places and yet still quite compelling overall. The LP-sleeve reissued CD is very nice with a band history and bonus track. Vocals are in English.

Hero is an album that has become a prized keeper for me but I understand it will appeal to a relatively small portion of this site. For me this is a 4-star album but for many of you it will be 2-3 I would guess. If you are really into early 70s dark and weird hard rock that defies easy categorizing, Hero might blow your mind. Or perhaps just irritate your family.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#119523) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 23, 2007

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Hero is a forgotten italian group from mid '70's who plays heavy prog. Their selftitled only album from 1974 bring nothing new under the heavy prog flag, but holds good pieces, that needs maybe a better attention by prog listners. This album is so rare that took me ore than 4 month to find it, on Cd, the original release on vinyl from 1974 is lost somewhere in dust of time and worth fortunes for collectors. Anyway is pretty rare even on Cd, and not many listners heared about this italian band. Their music is heavy prog with keybords arrangements and nice shifts between guitar and predominant instrument keys, but don't expect to another ELP influenced album. The most unintristing thing here is the voice of Robert Deller, who is not a bad vocalist, but don't shines at all, he only sings the notes. Now the music remainds me in places with early german bands Walpurgis and Dull Knife, and on piece Knock, the manner of interpretation of Robert Deller on voice is like on any Vand Der Graaf Generator album from early'70's, he realy is one on one with Peter Hammill here. The music as I said is heavy prog but very vague in contrast with what other bands done it in that times, seams thay didn't manage to creat something realy great, that's why this album is a good one but nothing special. This band remains unknown even for italian scene not to mention the rest of the planet. Influences are from german heavy prog scene and in places from Van Der Graaf Generator and even that dark atmosphere from King Crimson music mostly in arrangements. Finaly the best pieces are Childrens game, the longest track from here Clapping and Smiling and Dew drops, the rest are only ok. I will give to this album 2.5 rounded to 3, not realy bad but nothing to talk about either. One of those bands that for one reason or other goes into oblivion.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#191202) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 01, 2008

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
2 stars I've read a lot of regional music history books over the years, but as I listened to this album for the first time it occurred to me that I've never read one about the German music scene. I'll definitely have to add this to the 'to-do' list.

I get the impression there were all kinds of bands running around Germany in the early seventies, including many who were imports and/or were comprised of multinational memberships. Of those a fair number played some form of heavy progressive music, including Sweet Smoke, Krokodil, Prudence, Odin and these guys. All of them seem to have been influenced by the Krautrock sound at least a bit, and Hero were no exception.

At least two of the three members were of Italian descent, while according to various biographies the lead singer and keyboardist Robert Deller was "English". He sounds very American to me, but I can't find any information that would confirm or deny this. In any case his lineage gives him the ability to deliver all the band's vocals in English, which given the fact they left Italy to pursue their career might have helped them touring had they managed to hold together longer. Guitarist Massimo Pravato was killed in an auto accident shortly after this album was recorded, and the band was all but defunct before it even released.

Like some of the bands I mentioned above the blend of backgrounds and transplant to Germany (Munich in this case) seem to have resulted in a fairly eclectic and experimental nature to Hero's music, although it still manages to stay firmly planted in heavy rock territory for the most part. There is the odd spoken-word acoustic closer "Buzzard", but otherwise things stay heavy but adventurous throughout.

I have to say that the first few times I spun this thing I was a tad put off by the first couple of tracks. The opening "Merry Go Round" starts off well enough; brooding guitar intro and a building sense of anticipation that things are going to explode into something brilliant. But when the onslaught comes its rather flat with insipid lyrics and far too reminiscent of the Spinal Tap space-egg concert scene for my comfort. And while I love Hammond organ as much as the next progophile, one has to at least attempt to play it within the construct of the music which barely seems to be the case here. The second song "Crumbs of a Day" is frankly worse, a mash-up of improvisational guitar feedback riffs, staccato drumming and Hammond that oscillates wildly between overpowering and nonexistent. I actually do like Buzzard's vocals on this one and that may be its one saving grace.

After several playings I've begun to warm to the first couple of tracks a bit more, but I still have a bit of trouble getting Spinal Tap out of my head when I hear them.

Things do get better very quickly with "Sunday Best", one of the longer songs on the album and much more controlled and (dare I say) melodic than the first two. The band shows their chops a bit with some vocal harmonizing as well. I like the way the group lets the Hammond take center stage on this song and don't overwork the guitar or percussion to try and fill any spaces left by the keyboards. The result is something that sounds clean and precise which I always expect of Italian hard rock, but at the same time retains that undeniable Krautrock heavy, almost metal scent.

"Seminar" breaks up the mood with a more stilted organ sound and jerky tempo that was more than likely meant to be delivered to stoned teenagers in concert. I can just see a human wave of long-hairs in black t-shirts undulating to the frenzied tempo, index and little fingers extended and a f**k-the-world sneer on their faces. Further proof that heavy metal has strong roots in both progressive rock.

On the other hand "Children's Game" is more balanced between keyboards and guitar and, while this one is also quite heavy, manages to come off as more of a mood piece than a headbanger. "Knock" is a variation on "Seminar" and despite the decent guitar soloing late in the song could have been left off the album in my opinion.

If the band had a signature tune it would probably be "Clapping and Smiling", a nine-minute dirge that starts of as acoustic guitar noodling over wispy keyboards, builds to a heavy midsection before stretching out with more expansive keyboards and electric guitar noodling before rising up once again briefly to climax. I can't say the group innovated anything with this song, but they did manage to keep it together and tight for more than nine minutes without any obvious improvisation or lack of studio discipline, which tells me they were pretty decent musicians. "Dew-Drops" is sort of a reverse construction of this, starting off heavy and laying out a couple times in the middle but finishing strong. Here there is evidence of improvising though, particularly on keyboards. I get the sense the band was running out of ideas by this point, not surprising considering this is a debut and the album is more than forty-five minutes long.

Good luck finding the original vinyl of this thing. There are at least four CD reissues I know of and even a vinyl reissue but that one is probably lost to time as well. I've no idea which of these is legitimate and which are dubious knockoffs although I will say my copy is not a remastered reissue so I have my doubts about it. Anyway, it probably doesn't matter if you follow my recommendation, which is not to look too hard for this record. It has its moments but is for the most part lost to time because it deserves to be. Two stars out of five for collectors of obscure multinational prog music, but otherwise keep moving down the record aisle and look for something under "I" or "J".

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#429812) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 09, 2011

4 stars I had an interesting journey with this album. My first listen was in my vehicle and I knew this was an italian band but that's all I knew. Anyway I got through the first track and popped it out being disappointed that something that sounded so early seventies had English vocals and just sounded like a heavy Proto-Prog band. Well fast forward a couple of weeks and I decide to spend some time with it in order to do this review. The big change in my attitude towards this album came when I realized that this wasn't RPI, this was heavy Psychedelic music with that Krautrock spirit. As soon as I understood this I fell for it. So imagine my surprise when after i've done my review I read on the "net" that this band moved to Germany for a couple of years and recorded this album there in 1972 with a German record label. Maybe surprise isn't the right word but I felt really happy about myself (haha). Believe me it doesn't happen often. Sadly the singer died in an accident in 1973 the year before this was released.

This is a concept album and I found some the lyrics quite moving as it deals with childhood stuff. "Merry Go Round" opens with cymbals as tasteful guitar plays over top and reserved vocals join in. The vocals don't stay reserved for long though as it kicks in after 1 1/2 minutes. Heavy SABBATH-like guitar here as the contrasts continue. "Crumbs Of A Day" opens with drums, bass, guitar and floating organ. Vocals before 2 minutes then it picks up. Nice. "Sunday Best" has spacey keys and the vocals arrive before 1 1/2 minutes as it kicks in. It becomes pretty laid back each time the vocals stop. "Seminar" is a fairly aggressive song with prominant organ and guitar. Vocals come and go.

"Children's Game" is raw and aggressive at times. "Knock" has vocals that sort of shout out the lyrics. Not a big fan of this. It becomes powerful after 1 1/2 minutes followed by vocals and a more melodic soundscape. "Clapping And Smiling" has acoustic guitar and piano to start as reserved vocals join in. We get some passion before 4 1/2 minutes and some nice guitar a minute later. The music stops then spoken words come in then it builds. The guitar is great later. "Dew-Drops" is experimental and psychedelic early on. Drums start to lead as the organ joins in. Killer sound after 3 minutes. A calm 4 1/2 minutes in. It picks up a minute later with organ then the guitar comes in. Hell yeah ! "Buzzard" ends it with picked guitar and spoken words.

I will be keeping this in my Psychedelic / Krautock section for sure. A solid 4 stars.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#760649) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Review by Guldbamsen
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site and Forum Admin
3 stars Italians serving up sauerkraut like it was Mamma's recipe

With only a few stops left in Italy before my road trip takes me further through Europe, I thought it was about time for an album that sounds completely unlike any other made in its native country. The last review I did, I mentioned Franco Leprino developing his own unique style of electronic music on the back-draft of the Berlin School, but with this zany act called Hero(I have no clue as to why they're named that actually. Feels bizarre when you face the music....) the remnants of that ever so soft and velvety Italian touch are gone - traded in for a bulky in your face attitude and a psychedelic aura about it that screams weed, tandem bikes and crossbows. Recorded in Münich 1972 their self titled album bears absolutely no resemblance to what was happening in Italy around the same time. Whereas a guy like Battiato were fondling up synths and his famous VCS3 much in line with the Krautrockers, with Hero you sense an altogether more rocking approach to the German scene.

Somewhere along a sludgy Van Damme Generator meeting up with the lads from Exmagma, Comus, Birth Control and Eloy and you're nearly there. It's not at all impossible to spot the different influences throughout the album, and tell you the truth, as zany as the album feels and sounds, it's not like it was re-inventing the wheel. Often mad and crazy music gets undeserving accolades of being fabulously progressive, when all the music really's doing is being complex for the sake of being just that: complex. This album is more focused on feel though, and it shows in the interplay. So yeah a lot of balls and fire, but not so much in the original department. Faust fx did this kind of thing far more successful, - and yet when I put on Hero, there's this inexplicable surge of rocking energy pacing through me. It's a pleasure to listen to, simple as that.

The raw hammond organ, the feel of circus and mad theme parks, the forceful guitar riffs emanating a strong Sabbath vibe as well as the more frail acoustic trinkles, the feedback noises - all these are highlights on a record that I only recently have opened up to. The main reason as to why I had a rather hard time getting into it was undoubtedly the vocals. I am and have always been a firm believer of using your native tongue, especially if you speak English like Manuel from Fawlty Towers..... Moreover, when you happen to come from a part of the world, where the language is so expressive and melodic, why would you go ahead and trade all that away with odd 'ze' noises when confronted with a 'th' constellation? (I know the answer to that question though) On here the vocals are definitely an acquired taste, but then again the vocalist does seem to sport a minor crush on the equally challenging vocal chords of one Peter Hammill.

Featured on the Nurse With Wound list, Hero recently seems to have gotten a few reviews scattered across the net, and personally I find that a little heart warming. It may not be the unequivocal masterpiece many of these lost n found treasures are claimed to be, but there's a twinkle in it's eye and a mad groove boosting out of it, that I have come to enjoy immensely.

Send comments to Guldbamsen (BETA) | Report this review (#1005178) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2013

4 stars After seeing Hero on the Nurse With Wound List earlier this week, I decided to take a chance on an album that has as many detractors as it does fans...boy, am I glad I did. Hero's singular eponymous album is strange, ridiculously heavy, morose and awesome. Even after listening to it only a f ... (read more)

Report this review (#861955) | Posted by coasterzombie | Sunday, November 18, 2012 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Forever to remain lost in the depths of time and space and quite rightly so. There's a colossal amount of music like this from the same period and the less unusual ones somehow deserve to be lost in a black hole. There's nothing original about this sole album from 'Hero'. It's a run-of- the-mil ... (read more)

Report this review (#808990) | Posted by Dobermensch | Thursday, August 23, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of HERO "Hero"