HERO

Good, but non-essential

Buy HERO Music
Studio Album, released in 1974

1. Merry Go Round (4:21)
2. Crumbs of a Day (4:41)
3. Sunday Best (5:57)
4. Seminar (3:17)
5. Childrens Game (5:02)
6. Knock (4:52)
7. Clapping and Smiing (9:05)
8. Dew-Drops (7:03)

- Umberto Maschio / drums

LP Hero Pan (87 304 IT) - Germany 1974
CD Hero AMS/BTF (AMS 104) 2006
Recorded in 1972

Thanks to micky for the addition
and to mellotron storm for the last updates

HERO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy HERO Hero Music

Mariah Carey Can't Let Go USA MEGA RARE CD - Infinity Underneath The Stars Hero USD $69.00 [0 bids]
29m 6s
IAN GILLAN BAND: Country Lights / Poor Boy Hero 45 (Japan, PS insert, white l USD $20.00 Buy It Now 29m 31s
Cliff RIchard - I'm No Hero~1980 Rock Lp on EMI America USD $5.19 Buy It Now 30m 33s
VA - David Bowie Heroes. Mojo. Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Nina Simone, etc NEW USD $1.20 [4 bids]
31m 45s
EDDIE CALVERT - HEROES COLLECTION - 2 CDS - NEW!! USD $10.24 [0 bids]
48m 58s
Smalltown Heroes ?- Spin Cat No. EGO51 CD Single USD $2.92 [0 bids]
49m 55s
FOREIGNER - JUKE BOX HEROES - THE VERY BEST OF FOREIGNER - 2 CDS - NEW!! USD $11.70 [0 bids]
53m 13s
JOHN KAY-FORGOTTEN SONGS&UNSUNG HEROES--1972 ABC RECORDS-DSX-50120 GF LP USD $54.99 Buy It Now 57m 51s
Ska 2 Tone Exterior Vinyl 7" 178mm Decals The Selecter Three Minute Hero x 2 USD $10.91 Buy It Now 1h 2m
The Lonesome Heroes - Don't Play to Lose CD New! In Factory Shrink Wrap USD $8.08 Buy It Now 1h 2m
TINA TURNER PROMO 45 - WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER HERO/ same flip side USD $3.95 Buy It Now 1h 7m
ARCHERS OF LOAF-WHITE TRASH HEROES (MPDL) (COLV) VINYL LP NEW USD $23.44 Buy It Now 1h 7m
First Degree The D. E.-Black Bane - The Misunderstood Hero - Part One Of TCD NEW USD $13.06 Buy It Now 1h 8m
ARCHERS OF LOAF-WHITE TRASH HEROES CD NEW USD $14.84 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Lunch Box Heroes-The Untruuu Sessions... CD NEW USD $12.79 Buy It Now 1h 8m
JEFFREY GAINES - Hero In Me (UK 2 Track CD Single) USD $5.11 Buy It Now 1h 16m
ARIA HERO OF A SPEEDWAY ???? ????? ???????? HEAVY METAL USSR MELODIYA FREE SHIP USD $21.99 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Jimi Hendrix Hendrix in the West & War Heroes France USD $117.95 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Robert Lee Kolb - Local Heroes - 1985 Rock Eye Records - FAST SHIP! USD $35.95 Buy It Now 1h 20m
CLIFF RICHARD /SHADOWS/ - I'm no hero rare Made in INDIA LP USD $28.00 Buy It Now 1h 23m
WORKING CLASS HERO Tribute To John Lennon sealed cassette TOAD THE WET SPROCKET USD $4.95 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Suzanne Vega - When Heroes Go Down - Scarce Mint Picture Cd Single USD $5.84 Buy It Now 1h 28m
HK Cd + Dvd LEEHOM WANG HEROES OF EARTH ??? ???? ????? USD $23.00 Buy It Now 1h 30m
LOS HEROES DEL NORTE VOL.3 - 36 EXITOS USD $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 32m
4Hero - Two Pages (CD 1998) USD $7.32 Buy It Now 1h 51m
LITTLE FEAT / TIME LOVES A HERO (Lowell George) Vinyl,1977 Warner Bros. USD $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Hero - Inter Planetary 001 - Living in the land of Oz USD $3.00 [0 bids]
BILL ANDERSON WHERE HAVE ALL OUR HEROES GONE LP 1970 FREE SHIPPING USD $5.95 Buy It Now 1h 53m
2 X Vinyl LP In Stunning Picture Sleeve SUBTLE For Hero: For Fool MINT / SEALED USD $14.63 [0 bids]
Original CD In Stunning Picture Sleeve SUBTLE For Hero: For Fool MINT / SEALED USD $2.92 [0 bids]
Cassette Audio Mariah Carey Music Box ! Hero Never Forget You ++ USD $2.03 Buy It Now 2h 3m
SNOWMAN - BLACK HEROES - 80s ROOTS-REGGAE 45 7" USD $26.99 Buy It Now 2h 8m
rare! STORMFRONT cd NO TIME FOR HEROES Ronin Records METAL USD $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 11m
ROMANTIC HEROES NEW CD USD $36.49 Buy It Now 2h 13m
Protest The Hero - Fortress USD $4.38 [1 bids]
Electric Light Orchestra Wild West Hero Record 1977 USD $0.72 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE HEROES RCA VICTOR 1st UK 45 7" 1977 A2/B2 Brian Eno USD $16.10 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Heroes & Friends ~ Travis, Randy CD USD $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 23m
Kiss A World Without Heroes Picture Disc 7" single USD $14.63 [0 bids]
(2) WILLIE NELSON / My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys/Georgia On My (AU) USD $4.38 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Imaginary Heroes - Soundtrack From The Movie - CD - Free Postage USD $7.56 Buy It Now 2h 26m
CLIFF RICHARD - I'm No Hero - 1980 UK 10-track vinyl LP USD $29.28 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Foreigner 4 LP 1980 VG Juke Box Hero Waiting For A Girl Like You Urgent SD 16999 USD $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 28m
Electric Light Orchestra Wild West Hero Record Rare 1977 USD $0.72 [0 bids]
Heroes ~ O'Connor, Mark CD USD $7.95 Buy It Now 2h 35m
100 Hits - Guitar Heroes Various Artists Audio CD USD $13.18 Buy It Now 2h 36m
GYM CLASS HEROES - The Quilt (UK 14 Track CD Album) USD $5.55 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Hogan's Heroes 60s TV LP Sing the Best of World War II STEREO USA ISSUE USD $24.98 Buy It Now 2h 41m
THE CRUSADERS ~ Unsung Heroes VINYL RECORD LP USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
Metallica Hero Of The Day Vertigo METAL 13 Vinyl, 12" w/ Concert Sticker SEALED USD $79.99 Buy It Now 2h 52m
Danvers High School Falcon Band 2002 Summon the Heroes CD New Sealed M26 USD $24.86 Buy It Now 2h 56m
A Hero of the Game [VINYL] Phil Ochs Vinyl USD $18.75 Buy It Now 2h 57m
GLEN BURTNICK Heroes & Zeros LP Record SEALED 1987 RARE USD $17.50 Buy It Now 3h
Radio's Super Heroes At War vinyl LP 1975 Radiola Records EX USD $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 2m
Hero [Score] Tan Dun Audio CD USD $20.41 Buy It Now 3h 7m
50 Coronation Street CD . Rogues heroes & fools. USD $1.83 [0 bids]
Black Grape - Kelly's Heroes 1995 2-track Promo CD single USD $1.45 Buy It Now 3h 13m
music cds - HAMMOND B-3 HEROES * PKG #9 (4 CDs) USD $32.00 Buy It Now 3h 13m
music cds - JAZZ PIANO HEROES *PKG #17 (5 discs) Ellington, Garner, Tatum....... USD $32.00 Buy It Now 3h 14m
JAZZ MUSIC CDS JAZZ PIANO HEROES pkg #12 (4 discs) USD $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 14m
music cds HAMMOND B-3 HEROES * PKG #13 (5 discs) USD $32.00 Buy It Now 3h 14m
HEROES & VILLAINS 16 songs of saints & sinners Various Artists STEP 1 MUSIC LP L USD $21.97 Buy It Now 3h 16m
(GN447) We're No Heroes, Stay Weird / Voodoo - 2015 DJ CD USD $3.59 Buy It Now 3h 17m
Rex Paul - Hero Shuffle [CD New] USD $12.78 Buy It Now 3h 18m
Summer Hero - Soundcanvas [CD New] USD $15.39 Buy It Now 3h 19m
music cds - JAZZ PIANO HEROES *PKG #16 (5 discs) mcCoy, Herbie & Ahmad Jamal USD $32.00 Buy It Now 3h 20m
music cds - JAZZ SAXOPHONE HEROES *PKG #16 (5 Cds) USD $28.00 Buy It Now 3h 20m
(GN508) We're No Heroes, Voodoo - 2015 DJ CD USD $3.59 Buy It Now 3h 24m
Roni Size - Heroes (Basement Jaxx) - Talkin Loud #42185 USD $4.38 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Kiske Somerville - City Of Heroes (MHR,MR,AOR, Frontiers 2015,Place Vendome,Niva USD $9.16 [0 bids]
VARIOUS ARTISTS - WAR CHILD HEROES C.D. USD $5.33 Buy It Now 3h 32m
Hammond Heroes: 60s R&B Organ Grooves by Various Artists (CD, Jun-2005, Bear... USD $20.00 Buy It Now 3h 34m
CONCRETE BLONDE: BLOODLETTING [JOEY,I DON'T NEED A HERO,THE BEAST++] FREE SHIP USD $9.98 Buy It Now 3h 36m
Bring Us Your Heroes Audio CD USD $15.31 Buy It Now 3h 38m
DEADLY EARNEST AND THE HONKY TONK HEROES SELF TITLED SEALED 1979 COUNTRY LP USD $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 38m
Selecta (Urban Heroes) 12" Jameson & Viper USD $9.07 Buy It Now 3h 38m
Gym Class Heroes-As Cruel As School Children (CD 2006) Cupid's Chokehold USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Kinks, Greatest Celluloid Heros USD $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 51m
MARIAH CAREY Japan Only 1993 Tall 3" inch CD Single HERO USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 54m
Clarence Clemons, Hero USD $5.99 Buy It Now 3h 55m
Small Town Heroes - Hurray For The Riff Raff 880882192518 (Vinyl Used Very Good) USD $16.93 Buy It Now 3h 55m
Wolfe Tones - Rebels & Heroes (2004) Irish Traditional folk music new USD $20.49 Buy It Now 3h 57m
MARIAH CAREY Japan Only 1993 Tall 3" inch CD Single HERO USD $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 58m
Pat Cooper - Our Hero - Very nice VG mono LP USD $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 58m
HEROES DEL SILENCIO "Senderos de Traicion" SCARCE Venezuela LP ENRIQUE BUNBURY USD $599.99 Buy It Now 4h
Most Of My Heroes Still Don't Appear On No Stamp (Vinyl Used Very Good) Lmtd ED. USD $31.48 Buy It Now 4h 7m
Circus Hero - Circa Zero 795041798619 (Vinyl Used Very Good) USD $10.48 Buy It Now 4h 7m
Our Hero Pat Cooper LP United Artists UAL3446 VG+ MONO USD $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 7m
(BU383) Five O'Clock Heroes, Bend To The Breaks - 2006 DJ CD USD $8.42 Buy It Now 4h 8m
(BU390) Luke Slater, Stars And Heroes - DJ CD USD $4.03 Buy It Now 4h 8m
CARTOON HEROES THE BEST OF AQUA JAPAN CD OBI H1489 USD $0.99 [0 bids]
JIMI HENDRIX War Heroes LP Reprise MS 2103 (1972) Psych-Blues-Funk USD $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 14m
Bill Anderson 45 Where Have All Our Heroes Gone / Loving A Memory USD $1.00 Buy It Now 4h 15m
Albert Lee & Hogan's Heroes - On The Town Tonight [CD New] USD $18.44 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Kerry Turner - Heroes Music For Brass By Kerry Turner [CD New] USD $15.95 Buy It Now 4h 20m

More places to buy HERO music online Buy HERO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for HERO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

HERO Hero ratings distribution

HERO Hero reviews

Review by micky
micky avatar
2 stars I came onto this album, last fall, in a shameful attempt to outdo the master himself Erik Neuteboom in finding albums and groups that even the family members of the group members themselves , wouldn't even remember or know hahaha. I saw that this album was being rereleased after being long out of print. I saw the chance to have a rereleased 1974 RPI (Rock Progressivo Italiano) album that probably few had heard, and I jumped at it. First impresssions... a waste of $18 musically though still a chance to add a new artist to the my beloved RPI, and my expense check from PA's would cover that cost hahaha. My enthusiasm for trying to outdo Erik however waned and the group sat outside PA's and the album sat on my shelf. Fast forward several months later and I'm sitting at the computer, screwing around on PA's and I felt the urge to hear something different. I spied the baby blue cover of the CD crying out to be heard at least one more time so I gave it another chance, this time something grabbed me. I listened again.. and again .. and again. Don't let me kid you, this album is not the 2nd coming of Close to the Edge.. or even Caress of Steel hahaha but it is a decent album. Over time several of the tracks have actually grown on me to attain 'crank it up' status. All in all .. not a bad album by any means.

The music is generally a heavy prog, with the Hammond Organ the predominant instrument. Enough time changes to keep the listener on his toes, not virutoso musicians by any stretch of the imagination but very competant. The opening track Merry Go Round with that..great organ riff was the first thing on the album that really grabbed me. Sounds so good with the amplifier on 11. The next song Crumbs Of A Day is not bad, the 9/8 section in the middle salvages the song from the irratating guitar meanderings. Sunday's Best has a lovely atmospheric intro that extends well into the song that I enjoy. Seminar is a hard proggin song with a driving rhythm and nice Hammond organ as well. Children's Game is somewhat bland.. not much happening there, not really a favorite. Knock begins with... of course hahah.. a piano riff that immitates the pounding of fists on a door. Nice tempo death spiral into some musical meandering and noodling before heading into the main verse sections of the song. Once again nice stuff, nothing too exciting. Clapping and Smiliing is my favorite track on the album, at 9+ minutes a nice prog mini epic. A nice piano melody with accompanied by the accoustic guitar starts the song, continuing through the first verse sections. The pace changes with a nice gutar and organ riff that brings in the next verse sections. No clue what the song is about, but this is prog.. not pop. I don't listen to lyrics for the most part. Love the spacey atmospheric ending to the song. Good stuff. Dew-Drops is up next. It's primarily a showcase for Deller's keyboard work. Varied and interesting... good stuff.

As noted in the main section of the review, the lyrics aren't particularly noteworthy. Heck in many sections I can't understand what he is singing. It is in English but Deller either didn't have a powerful voice or he was put low in the mix. Again, it's alright, this is prog not pop. Lyrics are an afterthought hahah. Nice album.. one I like to listen to occasionally when vegging out on PA's or reading a book. I'll give it a personal rating of 2.5 stars for me and give it 1.5 for the forum at large. Not exactly unique or inventive, but with enough listens.. you may find something you like. I did and listen to this album more than all my Genesis albums combined hahha. Anyway 2 stars.. for collectors of RPI only.

Michael aka micky

Review by Finnforest
4 stars Something was in the water.

This one goes on my lost gem shelf. One of the weirdest albums I've heard in a while but I've taken quite a liking to it. At first play you might really think this sucks but it is a definite grower.

It might be categorized as Italian symphonic but to my ears this is lost hard psych rock. Very strange, like mixing Sabbath riffs with Jan Dukes de Grey, Traffic pacing, and some Morrison darkness in the lyrics.

Another view of the sound is as follows: "Musically I would consider Hero a combination of art rock with a heavy progressive feel, there are vibes from Gong, Van Der Graaf Generator, early Floyd and King Crimson most definitely, but there is also a dark doomy sound to it as well." [end quote from www.Italianprog.com]

The 9-minute standout track "Clapping and Smiling" is really quite a departure from the earlier tracks, featuring a lovely piano and folksy acoustic guitar for the first third. Then things again get powerful with hard vocals, Bill Ward style drumming and guitar that begs to be played loud. That final third of the song slows down again and gets pretty spacey and reminds me a little of Syd Barrett were he fronting a hard rock band! I told you this was weird stuff!

The album closes with a nice acoustic piece called "Buzzard" which serves to smooth out the previous sonic assaults and talk us in off the ledge. The final lyrical line is: "My pain will serve to be something." Before the album was even released their guitarist Massimo was killed in an auto wreck adding further weight to the strange mood of this work.

The playing is both amateurish-sounding in places and yet still quite compelling overall. The LP-sleeve reissued CD is very nice with a band history and bonus track. Vocals are in English.

Hero is an album that has become a prized keeper for me but I understand it will appeal to a relatively small portion of this site. For me this is a 4-star album but for many of you it will be 2-3 I would guess. If you are really into early 70s dark and weird hard rock that defies easy categorizing, Hero might blow your mind. Or perhaps just irritate your family.

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Hero is a forgotten italian group from mid '70's who plays heavy prog. Their selftitled only album from 1974 bring nothing new under the heavy prog flag, but holds good pieces, that needs maybe a better attention by prog listners. This album is so rare that took me ore than 4 month to find it, on Cd, the original release on vinyl from 1974 is lost somewhere in dust of time and worth fortunes for collectors. Anyway is pretty rare even on Cd, and not many listners heared about this italian band. Their music is heavy prog with keybords arrangements and nice shifts between guitar and predominant instrument keys, but don't expect to another ELP influenced album. The most unintristing thing here is the voice of Robert Deller, who is not a bad vocalist, but don't shines at all, he only sings the notes. Now the music remainds me in places with early german bands Walpurgis and Dull Knife, and on piece Knock, the manner of interpretation of Robert Deller on voice is like on any Vand Der Graaf Generator album from early'70's, he realy is one on one with Peter Hammill here. The music as I said is heavy prog but very vague in contrast with what other bands done it in that times, seams thay didn't manage to creat something realy great, that's why this album is a good one but nothing special. This band remains unknown even for italian scene not to mention the rest of the planet. Influences are from german heavy prog scene and in places from Van Der Graaf Generator and even that dark atmosphere from King Crimson music mostly in arrangements. Finaly the best pieces are Childrens game, the longest track from here Clapping and Smiling and Dew drops, the rest are only ok. I will give to this album 2.5 rounded to 3, not realy bad but nothing to talk about either. One of those bands that for one reason or other goes into oblivion.

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
2 stars I've read a lot of regional music history books over the years, but as I listened to this album for the first time it occurred to me that I've never read one about the German music scene. I'll definitely have to add this to the 'to-do' list.

I get the impression there were all kinds of bands running around Germany in the early seventies, including many who were imports and/or were comprised of multinational memberships. Of those a fair number played some form of heavy progressive music, including Sweet Smoke, Krokodil, Prudence, Odin and these guys. All of them seem to have been influenced by the Krautrock sound at least a bit, and Hero were no exception.

At least two of the three members were of Italian descent, while according to various biographies the lead singer and keyboardist Robert Deller was "English". He sounds very American to me, but I can't find any information that would confirm or deny this. In any case his lineage gives him the ability to deliver all the band's vocals in English, which given the fact they left Italy to pursue their career might have helped them touring had they managed to hold together longer. Guitarist Massimo Pravato was killed in an auto accident shortly after this album was recorded, and the band was all but defunct before it even released.

Like some of the bands I mentioned above the blend of backgrounds and transplant to Germany (Munich in this case) seem to have resulted in a fairly eclectic and experimental nature to Hero's music, although it still manages to stay firmly planted in heavy rock territory for the most part. There is the odd spoken-word acoustic closer "Buzzard", but otherwise things stay heavy but adventurous throughout.

I have to say that the first few times I spun this thing I was a tad put off by the first couple of tracks. The opening "Merry Go Round" starts off well enough; brooding guitar intro and a building sense of anticipation that things are going to explode into something brilliant. But when the onslaught comes its rather flat with insipid lyrics and far too reminiscent of the Spinal Tap space-egg concert scene for my comfort. And while I love Hammond organ as much as the next progophile, one has to at least attempt to play it within the construct of the music which barely seems to be the case here. The second song "Crumbs of a Day" is frankly worse, a mash-up of improvisational guitar feedback riffs, staccato drumming and Hammond that oscillates wildly between overpowering and nonexistent. I actually do like Buzzard's vocals on this one and that may be its one saving grace.

After several playings I've begun to warm to the first couple of tracks a bit more, but I still have a bit of trouble getting Spinal Tap out of my head when I hear them.

Things do get better very quickly with "Sunday Best", one of the longer songs on the album and much more controlled and (dare I say) melodic than the first two. The band shows their chops a bit with some vocal harmonizing as well. I like the way the group lets the Hammond take center stage on this song and don't overwork the guitar or percussion to try and fill any spaces left by the keyboards. The result is something that sounds clean and precise which I always expect of Italian hard rock, but at the same time retains that undeniable Krautrock heavy, almost metal scent.

"Seminar" breaks up the mood with a more stilted organ sound and jerky tempo that was more than likely meant to be delivered to stoned teenagers in concert. I can just see a human wave of long-hairs in black t-shirts undulating to the frenzied tempo, index and little fingers extended and a f**k-the-world sneer on their faces. Further proof that heavy metal has strong roots in both progressive rock.

On the other hand "Children's Game" is more balanced between keyboards and guitar and, while this one is also quite heavy, manages to come off as more of a mood piece than a headbanger. "Knock" is a variation on "Seminar" and despite the decent guitar soloing late in the song could have been left off the album in my opinion.

If the band had a signature tune it would probably be "Clapping and Smiling", a nine-minute dirge that starts of as acoustic guitar noodling over wispy keyboards, builds to a heavy midsection before stretching out with more expansive keyboards and electric guitar noodling before rising up once again briefly to climax. I can't say the group innovated anything with this song, but they did manage to keep it together and tight for more than nine minutes without any obvious improvisation or lack of studio discipline, which tells me they were pretty decent musicians. "Dew-Drops" is sort of a reverse construction of this, starting off heavy and laying out a couple times in the middle but finishing strong. Here there is evidence of improvising though, particularly on keyboards. I get the sense the band was running out of ideas by this point, not surprising considering this is a debut and the album is more than forty-five minutes long.

Good luck finding the original vinyl of this thing. There are at least four CD reissues I know of and even a vinyl reissue but that one is probably lost to time as well. I've no idea which of these is legitimate and which are dubious knockoffs although I will say my copy is not a remastered reissue so I have my doubts about it. Anyway, it probably doesn't matter if you follow my recommendation, which is not to look too hard for this record. It has its moments but is for the most part lost to time because it deserves to be. Two stars out of five for collectors of obscure multinational prog music, but otherwise keep moving down the record aisle and look for something under "I" or "J".

peace

4 stars I had an interesting journey with this album. My first listen was in my vehicle and I knew this was an italian band but that's all I knew. Anyway I got through the first track and popped it out being disappointed that something that sounded so early seventies had English vocals and just sounded like a heavy Proto-Prog band. Well fast forward a couple of weeks and I decide to spend some time with it in order to do this review. The big change in my attitude towards this album came when I realized that this wasn't RPI, this was heavy Psychedelic music with that Krautrock spirit. As soon as I understood this I fell for it. So imagine my surprise when after i've done my review I read on the "net" that this band moved to Germany for a couple of years and recorded this album there in 1972 with a German record label. Maybe surprise isn't the right word but I felt really happy about myself (haha). Believe me it doesn't happen often. Sadly the singer died in an accident in 1973 the year before this was released.

This is a concept album and I found some the lyrics quite moving as it deals with childhood stuff. "Merry Go Round" opens with cymbals as tasteful guitar plays over top and reserved vocals join in. The vocals don't stay reserved for long though as it kicks in after 1 1/2 minutes. Heavy SABBATH-like guitar here as the contrasts continue. "Crumbs Of A Day" opens with drums, bass, guitar and floating organ. Vocals before 2 minutes then it picks up. Nice. "Sunday Best" has spacey keys and the vocals arrive before 1 1/2 minutes as it kicks in. It becomes pretty laid back each time the vocals stop. "Seminar" is a fairly aggressive song with prominant organ and guitar. Vocals come and go.

"Children's Game" is raw and aggressive at times. "Knock" has vocals that sort of shout out the lyrics. Not a big fan of this. It becomes powerful after 1 1/2 minutes followed by vocals and a more melodic soundscape. "Clapping And Smiling" has acoustic guitar and piano to start as reserved vocals join in. We get some passion before 4 1/2 minutes and some nice guitar a minute later. The music stops then spoken words come in then it builds. The guitar is great later. "Dew-Drops" is experimental and psychedelic early on. Drums start to lead as the organ joins in. Killer sound after 3 minutes. A calm 4 1/2 minutes in. It picks up a minute later with organ then the guitar comes in. Hell yeah ! "Buzzard" ends it with picked guitar and spoken words.

I will be keeping this in my Psychedelic / Krautock section for sure. A solid 4 stars.

Review by Dobermensch
2 stars Forever to remain lost in the depths of time and space and quite rightly so. There's a colossal amount of music like this from the same period and the less unusual ones somehow deserve to be lost in a black hole. There's nothing original about this sole album from 'Hero'. It's a run-of- the-mill early 70's prog album with all the usual trappings. Occasionally hard prog, a wee bit bluesy and mostly forgettable.

It's middling to average throughout it's entirety with nothing really lousy and nothing really great. Robert Deller's voice whilst not bad may leave you cringing in embarrassment at the cod English accent on display. There's some big slabs of ugly Hammond Organ too which I have an unusual aversion to.

I do like the unique artwork on the cover however. It's instantly recognisable amongst my cd collection. That's about the best I can say of this recording I'm afraid. It's certainly not going to make it to the top of anyone's 'favourite album of all time' list.

Review by Guldbamsen
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Retired Admin
3 stars Italians serving up sauerkraut like it was Mamma's recipe

With only a few stops left in Italy before my road trip takes me further through Europe, I thought it was about time for an album that sounds completely unlike any other made in its native country. The last review I did, I mentioned Franco Leprino developing his own unique style of electronic music on the back-draft of the Berlin School, but with this zany act called Hero(I have no clue as to why they're named that actually. Feels bizarre when you face the music....) the remnants of that ever so soft and velvety Italian touch are gone - traded in for a bulky in your face attitude and a psychedelic aura about it that screams weed, tandem bikes and crossbows. Recorded in Münich 1972 their self titled album bears absolutely no resemblance to what was happening in Italy around the same time. Whereas a guy like Battiato were fondling up synths and his famous VCS3 much in line with the Krautrockers, with Hero you sense an altogether more rocking approach to the German scene.

Somewhere along a sludgy Van Damme Generator meeting up with the lads from Exmagma, Comus, Birth Control and Eloy and you're nearly there. It's not at all impossible to spot the different influences throughout the album, and tell you the truth, as zany as the album feels and sounds, it's not like it was re-inventing the wheel. Often mad and crazy music gets undeserving accolades of being fabulously progressive, when all the music really's doing is being complex for the sake of being just that: complex. This album is more focused on feel though, and it shows in the interplay. So yeah a lot of balls and fire, but not so much in the original department. Faust fx did this kind of thing far more successful, - and yet when I put on Hero, there's this inexplicable surge of rocking energy pacing through me. It's a pleasure to listen to, simple as that.

The raw hammond organ, the feel of circus and mad theme parks, the forceful guitar riffs emanating a strong Sabbath vibe as well as the more frail acoustic trinkles, the feedback noises - all these are highlights on a record that I only recently have opened up to. The main reason as to why I had a rather hard time getting into it was undoubtedly the vocals. I am and have always been a firm believer of using your native tongue, especially if you speak English like Manuel from Fawlty Towers..... Moreover, when you happen to come from a part of the world, where the language is so expressive and melodic, why would you go ahead and trade all that away with odd 'ze' noises when confronted with a 'th' constellation? (I know the answer to that question though) On here the vocals are definitely an acquired taste, but then again the vocalist does seem to sport a minor crush on the equally challenging vocal chords of one Peter Hammill.

Featured on the Nurse With Wound list, Hero recently seems to have gotten a few reviews scattered across the net, and personally I find that a little heart warming. It may not be the unequivocal masterpiece many of these lost n found treasures are claimed to be, but there's a twinkle in it's eye and a mad groove boosting out of it, that I have come to enjoy immensely.

4 stars After seeing Hero on the Nurse With Wound List earlier this week, I decided to take a chance on an album that has as many detractors as it does fans...boy, am I glad I did. Hero's singular eponymous album is strange, ridiculously heavy, morose and awesome. Even after listening to it only a f ... (read more)

Report this review (#861955) | Posted by coasterzombie | Sunday, November 18, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of HERO "Hero"