HERO

Hero Hero album cover

Buy HERO Music
Studio Album, released in 1974

1. Merry Go Round (4:21)
2. Crumbs of a Day (4:41)
3. Sunday Best (5:57)
4. Seminar (3:17)
5. Childrens Game (5:02)
6. Knock (4:52)
7. Clapping and Smiing (9:05)
8. Dew-Drops (7:03)

- Umberto Maschio / drums

LP Hero Pan (87 304 IT) - Germany 1974
CD Hero AMS/BTF (AMS 104) 2006
Recorded in 1972

Thanks to micky for the addition
and to mellotron storm for the last updates

HERO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy HERO Hero Music

HeroHero
Progressive Line
The Quilt [PA] [ECD] by Gym Class Heroes (CD, Sep-2008, Fueled by Ramen Records) USD $2.99 Buy It Now 44m 44s
GARY NUMAN 7" post Tubeway Army, WHITE BOYS AND HEROES '82 issue USD $7.20 Buy It Now 1h
Commodores - Heroes (Entire Album) USD $2.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Clay - The Karaoke Hero USD $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
78 BUFFALO BILL songs heroes of the west 7" EP VG Peter Pan 479 USA 1958 RARE USD $100.00 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Gateway Trio 45 Poor Man's Travelin' Blues / Soldiers...Heroes ~VG+ to VG++ folk USD $2.40 Buy It Now 1h 20m
RARE ADV PROMO Hero CASSETTE TAPE soundtrack George Fenton LUTHER VANDROSS score USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
RARE PROMO Luther Vandross CASSETTE TAPE soundtrack Heart of a HERO instrumental USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Calling All The Heroes The Very Best of It Bites CD, NEW USD $8.09 Buy It Now 1h 25m
RARE PROMO Last Action Hero CASSETTE TAPE soundtrack Buckethead ALICE IN CHAINS USD $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
AQUA-Cartoon Heroes/The Best Of Aqua-2002 CD USD $14.00 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Country Heroes CD-R [CD New] USD $13.59 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Martucha - Holding Out For A Hero CD-R [CD New] USD $10.36 Buy It Now 1h 52m
25 CENT CD Heroes and Villains by Paloalto (CD, Feb-2003, American Recordings (U USD $0.25 [0 bids]
(DL748) Baltic Fleet, Headless Heroes of the Acropolis - 2012 DJ CD USD $4.59 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Sir Thomas Beecham: Ein Heldenleben, A Hero's Life Capitol Stereo USD $15.35 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Marillion - Market Square Heroes rare UK 12" pic disc USD $35.00 [0 bids]
BOCA ALL STARS VOL. 1:Arision/Nicola Conte/4 Hero/Ame USD $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 9m
1997-MATT KING- 5 o clock hero -CD--- AUTOGRAPHED SIGNED !!!!!!! USD $4.50 Buy It Now 2h 11m
ALBERT LEE & HOGAN'S HEROES**LIKE THIS**CD USD $14.50 Buy It Now 2h 12m
No 15.CD ALBUM.SUMMER SOUNDS MEMORIES BY RICE IS NICE FOR LITTLE HERO.OXOX USD $10.69 Buy It Now 2h 14m
HEROES DEL SILENCIO "FUENTE ESPERANZA" MADE IN ESPAŅA EMI 1989 PROMO MEXICAN 7'' USD $42.80 Buy It Now 2h 14m
RICHARD STRAUSS "Ein Heldenleben (A Hero's Life)" LP NM/EX Everest Silverback USD $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 16m
HEROES DEL SILENCIO "FLOR VENENOSA" MADE IN ESPAŅA EMI 1988 PROMO MEXICAN 7'' USD $42.80 Buy It Now 2h 18m
(AW534) We'll All Be Heroes, Everything Must Go - DJ CD USD $2.69 Buy It Now 2h 20m
(AZ23) Five O'Clock Heroes, Alice - DJ CD USD $4.59 Buy It Now 2h 30m
2CD+DVD SUPER JUNIOR Hero JAPAN Limited Album with Jacket Size Photocard Yesung USD $45.00 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Radio CD/Matchbox Twenty/MIka/Cobra Starship/Gym Class Heroes/The Roys/Trueheart USD $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 43m
PAPER LACE " BILLY DON'T BE A HERO " PHILIPS 1974 - GOOD - MEXICAN EP 7 USD $13.40 Buy It Now 2h 47m
Sabaton - Heroes CD 2014 power metal Sweden bonus tracks Nuclear Blast press USD $12.95 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Hero,Stephen - Lullaby Ep (CD New) USD $7.65 Buy It Now 2h 52m
LOVEHATEHERO - Cartoon:LOVE HATE HERO:T-shirt:NEW:XLARGE ONLY USD $21.45 Buy It Now 2h 54m
LOVEHATEHERO - Cartoon:LOVE HATE HERO:T-shirt:NEW:LARGE ONLY USD $21.45 Buy It Now 2h 54m
LOVEHATEHERO - Lies:LOVE HATE HERO:T-shirt:NEW:YOUTH LARGE ONLY USD $21.45 Buy It Now 2h 59m
JOHN WILLIAMS_Summon The Heroes_used CD_ships from AUSTRALIA_B9 USD $7.15 Buy It Now 2h 59m
LOVEHATEHERO - Lies:LOVE HATE HERO:T-shirt:NEW:YOUTH MEDIUM ONLY USD $21.45 Buy It Now 3h
The Hero: The Rock Opera [Digipak] by Various Artists 2 CD 2003 free ship USD $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 11m
HANK WILLIAMS, CD "HILLBILLY HERO" HEALTH & HAPPINESS SHOWS, NEW SEALED USD $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 23m
SUPER JUNIOR "HERO" 1ST PRESS LIMITED EDITION USD $15.12 [1 bids]
SPICHER, BUDDY me and my heroes VG/VG USA FF065 | 14-1128-026 USD $15.99 Buy It Now 3h 26m
ALBERT LEE AND HOGAN'S HEROES**TEAR IT UP**CD USD $14.50 Buy It Now 3h 33m
CONVERGE No Heroes LP PINK/WHITE VINYL rare oop UNPLAYED USD $49.99 Buy It Now 4h 2m
CONVERGE No Heroes LP BROWN/RED VINYL rare oop UNPLAYED USD $49.99 Buy It Now 4h 5m
Judy Thomas Hes My Hero b/w Cry On Cryin Eyes 45 From Publishing Co Vault NM USD $1.92 Buy It Now 4h 6m
MEGADETH -THE WORLD NEEDS A HERO CD BRAND NEW Metallica Slayer Anthrax USD $9.26 Buy It Now 4h 10m
SUPER JUNIOR SUJU - HERO [Japan 1st Album] 2CD+DVD USD $34.99 Buy It Now 4h 17m
CREAM POP HEROES rare GREEK PRESS LP 1981 RSO compilation Eric Clapton USD $29.99 Buy It Now 4h 31m
Top-Hat Carriers Ram Orion Guitar Hero EP Israel Hebrew New Wave Rock Rare OOP USD $25.00 Buy It Now 4h 49m
GUITAR HERO III LEGENDS OF ROCK - CD - NEW USD $14.30 Buy It Now 5h 2m
FREE U.S.sh/$3 int'l sh ~ USED CD David Benoit: Heroes USD $12.38 Buy It Now 5h 13m
Joey Scarbury Little Bit Of Us 45 rpm Record Theme Greatest American Hero Mint USD $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 13m
RESIDENT HERO - 3-TRACK CD SINGLE - *NEW/SEALED *VENDETTA BLACK, HAPPY (W/O ME) USD $1.99 Buy It Now 5h 26m
FLEETWOOD MAC LP "Heroes Are Hard to Find" in VG to NM condition! USD $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 39m
Overklash - First Action Hero Indecence Records #293239 USD $4.59 Buy It Now 5h 42m
Cheshire Catz Vs Fake Hero - Wide Awake Fakt 1 #194082 USD $4.59 Buy It Now 5h 42m
SL14/11/75p26 Article & Picture(s) The Who- Heroes & Villains & Fools USD $15.35 Buy It Now 5h 46m
GARY O' * 45 * All The Young Heroes * 1981 * MINT * DJ PROMO * USA * Last 1... USD $6.70 Buy It Now 5h 46m
Guitar Hero III Legends of Rock by Original Soundtrack (CD, Oct-2007 Interscope) USD $6.99 Buy It Now 6h 15m
ROCK AND ROLL HERO by ???? Japan CD USD $10.99 Buy It Now 6h 15m
8/2/75Pgn19 Jimmy Scott, We Need A Hero Advert 4x10 USD $7.66 Buy It Now 6h 17m
Heroes & Friends, Travis, Randy, Acceptable USD $1.99 Buy It Now 6h 38m
FOREIGNER JUKE BOX HERO -FOLD-OUT SLEEVE (1980s ROCK) VINYL 7" 45RPM USD $12.28 Buy It Now 6h 40m
SUM 41 Underclass Hero Rare Argentina Island label CD New USD $10.73 Buy It Now 7h 3m
Every Hero Needs a Villain 0853044003526, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H USD $32.90 Buy It Now 7h 7m
THE DIXIE DREGS STEVE MORSE UNSUNG HEROES EX/EX USD $8.00 Buy It Now 7h 9m
Def Leppard - Two Steps Behind (special radio CD) from Last Action Hero USD $12.99 Buy It Now 7h 17m
The Jam - Just who is the 5 o'clock hero GERMAN 7" USD $6.13 Buy It Now 7h 17m
BAY CITY ROLLERS / YESTERDAY'S HERO Japan 7" single IER-20150 USD $7.99 Buy It Now 7h 22m
Hero Of The Game 0823564635620, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H USD $17.87 Buy It Now 7h 30m
Severed Head of State NEW SHIRT S black punk hardcore crust thrash Tragedy Hero USD $8.00 Buy It Now 7h 34m
Megadeth - World Needs A Hero CD USD $15.19 Buy It Now 8h 10m
Scorpions Tour T shirt 2008 - HUMANITY WORLD TOUR - German Rock Band Guitar Hero USD $4.61 [0 bids]
? Sekai no Owari ANTI-HERO Type A First Limited Edition CD+DVD F/S JAPAN USD $33.50 Buy It Now 8h 11m
? Sekai no Owari ANTI-HERO Type B First Limited Edition CD DVD F/S JAPAN USD $33.50 Buy It Now 8h 14m
Aqua - Cartoon Heroes: The Best Of Aqua JAPAN CD 2002 16trk UICY-1101 USD $12.47 Buy It Now 8h 20m
Party House Heroes - Dance For Me - Wax Lyrical #152628 USD $4.59 Buy It Now 8h 22m
Amee - New Age Hero EP - Zenit - 2006 #174709 USD $4.59 Buy It Now 8h 22m
BUY THIS CD,ASK FOR FREE GIFT ~ NEW CD Jonathan Sprout: American Heroes #3 USD $14.49 Buy It Now 8h 22m
The Unslung Heroes - Talking Hash Smoking Trash #53403 USD $4.59 Buy It Now 8h 22m
Unslung Heroes - Talking Hash Smoking Trash #80616 USD $4.59 Buy It Now 8h 22m
Bonnie Tyler Austria CD The Very Best Of 17 Tracks DADC Holding Out For A Hero USD $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 26m
Bis - The New Transistor Heroes NEW JAPAN CD 1997 SRCS-8264 USD $12.99 Buy It Now 8h 30m
Thin Lizzy - Hero & the Madman (2002) USD $9.20 Buy It Now 8h 33m
Swimming In The Sea - Hero For the Heroine 7" 1982 USD $3.06 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE /HEROES / CD LIKE NEW USD $11.99 Buy It Now 8h 50m
RALPH FLANAGAN TELL ME WHY & MY HERO HMV B9972 USD $3.84 Buy It Now 8h 56m
Larryboy Super Hero Power Pack USD $17.55 Buy It Now 9h 10m
THE CORONAS - HEROES OR GHOSTS - CD NEW USD $16.00 Buy It Now 9h 11m
NUFREQUENCY Fallen Hero RSD 12" NEW VINYL Rebirth Mark E Motor City Drum Ensembl USD $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 15m
??? KYLIE MINOGUE : 3 Original VINTAGE Post Cards issued by HEROES *AS NEW ??? USD $10.73 [0 bids]
MAJOR ACCIDENT - CLOCKWORK HEROES - (still sealed cd) - AHOY CD 16 USD $13.80 Buy It Now 9h 21m
FRACTION - HEROES / TILES 10" VINYL - FAITH & HOPE RECORDS 2005 USD $3.06 Buy It Now 9h 24m
THE SELECTER - THREE MINUTE HERO - 7" VINYL 1980 TWO-TONE RECORDS USD $7.66 Buy It Now 9h 26m
BEACH BOYS - HEROES & VILLAINS USD $3.07 [0 bids]
Foreigner ?- Juke Box Heroes (The Mail on Sunday) USD $2.61 [0 bids]
The Kinks - Celluloid Heroes [Digipak] (SACD) (2007) USD $61.40 [0 bids]
@ CD Demon Drive - Heroes RARE GERMAN MELODIC AOR / BREAKER RECORDS 2000 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 9h 37m
'THE B-52's' 1979 Cassette Album - 'Planet Claire' 'Lava' 'Hero Worship' USD $7.14 [0 bids]
MARK KNOPFLER Local Hero LP OST - Dire Straits Newcastle Utd / Vertigo '83 USD $8.44 Buy It Now 9h 56m
Cliff Richard I'm No Hero inc Give A Little Bit More + Cassette Tape - TESTED USD $6.14 Buy It Now 9h 59m

More places to buy HERO music online Buy HERO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for HERO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

HERO Hero ratings distribution

HERO Hero reviews

Review by micky
micky avatar
2 stars I came onto this album, last fall, in a shameful attempt to outdo the master himself Erik Neuteboom in finding albums and groups that even the family members of the group members themselves , wouldn't even remember or know hahaha. I saw that this album was being rereleased after being long out of print. I saw the chance to have a rereleased 1974 RPI (Rock Progressivo Italiano) album that probably few had heard, and I jumped at it. First impresssions... a waste of $18 musically though still a chance to add a new artist to the my beloved RPI, and my expense check from PA's would cover that cost hahaha. My enthusiasm for trying to outdo Erik however waned and the group sat outside PA's and the album sat on my shelf. Fast forward several months later and I'm sitting at the computer, screwing around on PA's and I felt the urge to hear something different. I spied the baby blue cover of the CD crying out to be heard at least one more time so I gave it another chance, this time something grabbed me. I listened again.. and again .. and again. Don't let me kid you, this album is not the 2nd coming of Close to the Edge.. or even Caress of Steel hahaha but it is a decent album. Over time several of the tracks have actually grown on me to attain 'crank it up' status. All in all .. not a bad album by any means.

The music is generally a heavy prog, with the Hammond Organ the predominant instrument. Enough time changes to keep the listener on his toes, not virutoso musicians by any stretch of the imagination but very competant. The opening track Merry Go Round with that..great organ riff was the first thing on the album that really grabbed me. Sounds so good with the amplifier on 11. The next song Crumbs Of A Day is not bad, the 9/8 section in the middle salvages the song from the irratating guitar meanderings. Sunday's Best has a lovely atmospheric intro that extends well into the song that I enjoy. Seminar is a hard proggin song with a driving rhythm and nice Hammond organ as well. Children's Game is somewhat bland.. not much happening there, not really a favorite. Knock begins with... of course hahah.. a piano riff that immitates the pounding of fists on a door. Nice tempo death spiral into some musical meandering and noodling before heading into the main verse sections of the song. Once again nice stuff, nothing too exciting. Clapping and Smiliing is my favorite track on the album, at 9+ minutes a nice prog mini epic. A nice piano melody with accompanied by the accoustic guitar starts the song, continuing through the first verse sections. The pace changes with a nice gutar and organ riff that brings in the next verse sections. No clue what the song is about, but this is prog.. not pop. I don't listen to lyrics for the most part. Love the spacey atmospheric ending to the song. Good stuff. Dew-Drops is up next. It's primarily a showcase for Deller's keyboard work. Varied and interesting... good stuff.

As noted in the main section of the review, the lyrics aren't particularly noteworthy. Heck in many sections I can't understand what he is singing. It is in English but Deller either didn't have a powerful voice or he was put low in the mix. Again, it's alright, this is prog not pop. Lyrics are an afterthought hahah. Nice album.. one I like to listen to occasionally when vegging out on PA's or reading a book. I'll give it a personal rating of 2.5 stars for me and give it 1.5 for the forum at large. Not exactly unique or inventive, but with enough listens.. you may find something you like. I did and listen to this album more than all my Genesis albums combined hahha. Anyway 2 stars.. for collectors of RPI only.

Michael aka micky

Review by Finnforest
4 stars Something was in the water.

This one goes on my lost gem shelf. One of the weirdest albums I've heard in a while but I've taken quite a liking to it. At first play you might really think this sucks but it is a definite grower.

It might be categorized as Italian symphonic but to my ears this is lost hard psych rock. Very strange, like mixing Sabbath riffs with Jan Dukes de Grey, Traffic pacing, and some Morrison darkness in the lyrics.

Another view of the sound is as follows: "Musically I would consider Hero a combination of art rock with a heavy progressive feel, there are vibes from Gong, Van Der Graaf Generator, early Floyd and King Crimson most definitely, but there is also a dark doomy sound to it as well." [end quote from www.Italianprog.com]

The 9-minute standout track "Clapping and Smiling" is really quite a departure from the earlier tracks, featuring a lovely piano and folksy acoustic guitar for the first third. Then things again get powerful with hard vocals, Bill Ward style drumming and guitar that begs to be played loud. That final third of the song slows down again and gets pretty spacey and reminds me a little of Syd Barrett were he fronting a hard rock band! I told you this was weird stuff!

The album closes with a nice acoustic piece called "Buzzard" which serves to smooth out the previous sonic assaults and talk us in off the ledge. The final lyrical line is: "My pain will serve to be something." Before the album was even released their guitarist Massimo was killed in an auto wreck adding further weight to the strange mood of this work.

The playing is both amateurish-sounding in places and yet still quite compelling overall. The LP-sleeve reissued CD is very nice with a band history and bonus track. Vocals are in English.

Hero is an album that has become a prized keeper for me but I understand it will appeal to a relatively small portion of this site. For me this is a 4-star album but for many of you it will be 2-3 I would guess. If you are really into early 70s dark and weird hard rock that defies easy categorizing, Hero might blow your mind. Or perhaps just irritate your family.

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Hero is a forgotten italian group from mid '70's who plays heavy prog. Their selftitled only album from 1974 bring nothing new under the heavy prog flag, but holds good pieces, that needs maybe a better attention by prog listners. This album is so rare that took me ore than 4 month to find it, on Cd, the original release on vinyl from 1974 is lost somewhere in dust of time and worth fortunes for collectors. Anyway is pretty rare even on Cd, and not many listners heared about this italian band. Their music is heavy prog with keybords arrangements and nice shifts between guitar and predominant instrument keys, but don't expect to another ELP influenced album. The most unintristing thing here is the voice of Robert Deller, who is not a bad vocalist, but don't shines at all, he only sings the notes. Now the music remainds me in places with early german bands Walpurgis and Dull Knife, and on piece Knock, the manner of interpretation of Robert Deller on voice is like on any Vand Der Graaf Generator album from early'70's, he realy is one on one with Peter Hammill here. The music as I said is heavy prog but very vague in contrast with what other bands done it in that times, seams thay didn't manage to creat something realy great, that's why this album is a good one but nothing special. This band remains unknown even for italian scene not to mention the rest of the planet. Influences are from german heavy prog scene and in places from Van Der Graaf Generator and even that dark atmosphere from King Crimson music mostly in arrangements. Finaly the best pieces are Childrens game, the longest track from here Clapping and Smiling and Dew drops, the rest are only ok. I will give to this album 2.5 rounded to 3, not realy bad but nothing to talk about either. One of those bands that for one reason or other goes into oblivion.

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
2 stars I've read a lot of regional music history books over the years, but as I listened to this album for the first time it occurred to me that I've never read one about the German music scene. I'll definitely have to add this to the 'to-do' list.

I get the impression there were all kinds of bands running around Germany in the early seventies, including many who were imports and/or were comprised of multinational memberships. Of those a fair number played some form of heavy progressive music, including Sweet Smoke, Krokodil, Prudence, Odin and these guys. All of them seem to have been influenced by the Krautrock sound at least a bit, and Hero were no exception.

At least two of the three members were of Italian descent, while according to various biographies the lead singer and keyboardist Robert Deller was "English". He sounds very American to me, but I can't find any information that would confirm or deny this. In any case his lineage gives him the ability to deliver all the band's vocals in English, which given the fact they left Italy to pursue their career might have helped them touring had they managed to hold together longer. Guitarist Massimo Pravato was killed in an auto accident shortly after this album was recorded, and the band was all but defunct before it even released.

Like some of the bands I mentioned above the blend of backgrounds and transplant to Germany (Munich in this case) seem to have resulted in a fairly eclectic and experimental nature to Hero's music, although it still manages to stay firmly planted in heavy rock territory for the most part. There is the odd spoken-word acoustic closer "Buzzard", but otherwise things stay heavy but adventurous throughout.

I have to say that the first few times I spun this thing I was a tad put off by the first couple of tracks. The opening "Merry Go Round" starts off well enough; brooding guitar intro and a building sense of anticipation that things are going to explode into something brilliant. But when the onslaught comes its rather flat with insipid lyrics and far too reminiscent of the Spinal Tap space-egg concert scene for my comfort. And while I love Hammond organ as much as the next progophile, one has to at least attempt to play it within the construct of the music which barely seems to be the case here. The second song "Crumbs of a Day" is frankly worse, a mash-up of improvisational guitar feedback riffs, staccato drumming and Hammond that oscillates wildly between overpowering and nonexistent. I actually do like Buzzard's vocals on this one and that may be its one saving grace.

After several playings I've begun to warm to the first couple of tracks a bit more, but I still have a bit of trouble getting Spinal Tap out of my head when I hear them.

Things do get better very quickly with "Sunday Best", one of the longer songs on the album and much more controlled and (dare I say) melodic than the first two. The band shows their chops a bit with some vocal harmonizing as well. I like the way the group lets the Hammond take center stage on this song and don't overwork the guitar or percussion to try and fill any spaces left by the keyboards. The result is something that sounds clean and precise which I always expect of Italian hard rock, but at the same time retains that undeniable Krautrock heavy, almost metal scent.

"Seminar" breaks up the mood with a more stilted organ sound and jerky tempo that was more than likely meant to be delivered to stoned teenagers in concert. I can just see a human wave of long-hairs in black t-shirts undulating to the frenzied tempo, index and little fingers extended and a f**k-the-world sneer on their faces. Further proof that heavy metal has strong roots in both progressive rock.

On the other hand "Children's Game" is more balanced between keyboards and guitar and, while this one is also quite heavy, manages to come off as more of a mood piece than a headbanger. "Knock" is a variation on "Seminar" and despite the decent guitar soloing late in the song could have been left off the album in my opinion.

If the band had a signature tune it would probably be "Clapping and Smiling", a nine-minute dirge that starts of as acoustic guitar noodling over wispy keyboards, builds to a heavy midsection before stretching out with more expansive keyboards and electric guitar noodling before rising up once again briefly to climax. I can't say the group innovated anything with this song, but they did manage to keep it together and tight for more than nine minutes without any obvious improvisation or lack of studio discipline, which tells me they were pretty decent musicians. "Dew-Drops" is sort of a reverse construction of this, starting off heavy and laying out a couple times in the middle but finishing strong. Here there is evidence of improvising though, particularly on keyboards. I get the sense the band was running out of ideas by this point, not surprising considering this is a debut and the album is more than forty-five minutes long.

Good luck finding the original vinyl of this thing. There are at least four CD reissues I know of and even a vinyl reissue but that one is probably lost to time as well. I've no idea which of these is legitimate and which are dubious knockoffs although I will say my copy is not a remastered reissue so I have my doubts about it. Anyway, it probably doesn't matter if you follow my recommendation, which is not to look too hard for this record. It has its moments but is for the most part lost to time because it deserves to be. Two stars out of five for collectors of obscure multinational prog music, but otherwise keep moving down the record aisle and look for something under "I" or "J".

peace

4 stars I had an interesting journey with this album. My first listen was in my vehicle and I knew this was an italian band but that's all I knew. Anyway I got through the first track and popped it out being disappointed that something that sounded so early seventies had English vocals and just sounded like a heavy Proto-Prog band. Well fast forward a couple of weeks and I decide to spend some time with it in order to do this review. The big change in my attitude towards this album came when I realized that this wasn't RPI, this was heavy Psychedelic music with that Krautrock spirit. As soon as I understood this I fell for it. So imagine my surprise when after i've done my review I read on the "net" that this band moved to Germany for a couple of years and recorded this album there in 1972 with a German record label. Maybe surprise isn't the right word but I felt really happy about myself (haha). Believe me it doesn't happen often. Sadly the singer died in an accident in 1973 the year before this was released.

This is a concept album and I found some the lyrics quite moving as it deals with childhood stuff. "Merry Go Round" opens with cymbals as tasteful guitar plays over top and reserved vocals join in. The vocals don't stay reserved for long though as it kicks in after 1 1/2 minutes. Heavy SABBATH-like guitar here as the contrasts continue. "Crumbs Of A Day" opens with drums, bass, guitar and floating organ. Vocals before 2 minutes then it picks up. Nice. "Sunday Best" has spacey keys and the vocals arrive before 1 1/2 minutes as it kicks in. It becomes pretty laid back each time the vocals stop. "Seminar" is a fairly aggressive song with prominant organ and guitar. Vocals come and go.

"Children's Game" is raw and aggressive at times. "Knock" has vocals that sort of shout out the lyrics. Not a big fan of this. It becomes powerful after 1 1/2 minutes followed by vocals and a more melodic soundscape. "Clapping And Smiling" has acoustic guitar and piano to start as reserved vocals join in. We get some passion before 4 1/2 minutes and some nice guitar a minute later. The music stops then spoken words come in then it builds. The guitar is great later. "Dew-Drops" is experimental and psychedelic early on. Drums start to lead as the organ joins in. Killer sound after 3 minutes. A calm 4 1/2 minutes in. It picks up a minute later with organ then the guitar comes in. Hell yeah ! "Buzzard" ends it with picked guitar and spoken words.

I will be keeping this in my Psychedelic / Krautock section for sure. A solid 4 stars.

Review by Guldbamsen
PROG REVIEWER Retired Admin
3 stars Italians serving up sauerkraut like it was Mamma's recipe

With only a few stops left in Italy before my road trip takes me further through Europe, I thought it was about time for an album that sounds completely unlike any other made in its native country. The last review I did, I mentioned Franco Leprino developing his own unique style of electronic music on the back-draft of the Berlin School, but with this zany act called Hero(I have no clue as to why they're named that actually. Feels bizarre when you face the music....) the remnants of that ever so soft and velvety Italian touch are gone - traded in for a bulky in your face attitude and a psychedelic aura about it that screams weed, tandem bikes and crossbows. Recorded in Münich 1972 their self titled album bears absolutely no resemblance to what was happening in Italy around the same time. Whereas a guy like Battiato were fondling up synths and his famous VCS3 much in line with the Krautrockers, with Hero you sense an altogether more rocking approach to the German scene.

Somewhere along a sludgy Van Damme Generator meeting up with the lads from Exmagma, Comus, Birth Control and Eloy and you're nearly there. It's not at all impossible to spot the different influences throughout the album, and tell you the truth, as zany as the album feels and sounds, it's not like it was re-inventing the wheel. Often mad and crazy music gets undeserving accolades of being fabulously progressive, when all the music really's doing is being complex for the sake of being just that: complex. This album is more focused on feel though, and it shows in the interplay. So yeah a lot of balls and fire, but not so much in the original department. Faust fx did this kind of thing far more successful, - and yet when I put on Hero, there's this inexplicable surge of rocking energy pacing through me. It's a pleasure to listen to, simple as that.

The raw hammond organ, the feel of circus and mad theme parks, the forceful guitar riffs emanating a strong Sabbath vibe as well as the more frail acoustic trinkles, the feedback noises - all these are highlights on a record that I only recently have opened up to. The main reason as to why I had a rather hard time getting into it was undoubtedly the vocals. I am and have always been a firm believer of using your native tongue, especially if you speak English like Manuel from Fawlty Towers..... Moreover, when you happen to come from a part of the world, where the language is so expressive and melodic, why would you go ahead and trade all that away with odd 'ze' noises when confronted with a 'th' constellation? (I know the answer to that question though) On here the vocals are definitely an acquired taste, but then again the vocalist does seem to sport a minor crush on the equally challenging vocal chords of one Peter Hammill.

Featured on the Nurse With Wound list, Hero recently seems to have gotten a few reviews scattered across the net, and personally I find that a little heart warming. It may not be the unequivocal masterpiece many of these lost n found treasures are claimed to be, but there's a twinkle in it's eye and a mad groove boosting out of it, that I have come to enjoy immensely.

4 stars After seeing Hero on the Nurse With Wound List earlier this week, I decided to take a chance on an album that has as many detractors as it does fans...boy, am I glad I did. Hero's singular eponymous album is strange, ridiculously heavy, morose and awesome. Even after listening to it only a f ... (read more)

Report this review (#861955) | Posted by coasterzombie | Sunday, November 18, 2012 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Forever to remain lost in the depths of time and space and quite rightly so. There's a colossal amount of music like this from the same period and the less unusual ones somehow deserve to be lost in a black hole. There's nothing original about this sole album from 'Hero'. It's a run-of- the-mil ... (read more)

Report this review (#808990) | Posted by Dobermensch | Thursday, August 23, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of HERO "Hero"