FIRST GENERATION (SCENES FROM 1969-1971)

Van Der Graaf Generator

Van Der Graaf Generator First Generation (Scenes from 1969-1971) album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1986

1. Darkness (11/11) (7:27)
2. Killer (8:07)
3. Man-Erg* (10:21)
4. Theme One* (4:00)
5. Pioneers over C. (12:05)
6. A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers* (23:04)
a) Eyewitness

- Peter Hammill / vocals, guitars, pianos
- Hugh Banton / organs, bass pedals and guitars, mellotron, piano
- Guy Evans / drums and percussion
- David Jackson / saxes, flute
- Nic Poter / bass (except No 3 & 4)

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR First Generation (Scenes from 1969-1971) Music

Aerosol Grey MachineAerosol Grey Machine
Fie 2005
World RecordWorld Record
Virgin / Charisma 2005
Live in Concert at Metropolis Studios LondonLive in Concert at Metropolis Studios London
Salvo 2012
Transmissions-Enhanced BookTransmissions-Enhanced Book
cl ro 2007
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Pawn Hearts UK Prog ORIG '71 PINK Label Lp PETER HAMMILL US $199.99 Buy It Now 6h 5m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR LEAST WE CAN DO RARE JAPAN LP UK PROG CHARISMA US $24.98 Buy It Now 12h 4m
vinyl record van der graaf generator the aerosol grey machine rare prog/pysch US $16.39 [0 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life [CD New] US $8.98 Buy It Now 13h 59m
Van Der Graaf Generator - 1ST GENERATION - COMCD2 US $11.95 Buy It Now 14h
PETER HAMMILL singularity UK CD VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR LY91 US $8.09 Buy It Now 14h
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR The Least We Can Do Is Wave LP USA Probe CPLP-4515 Stere US $24.57 [0 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator LP Pawn Hearts UK Pink Charisma scroll 1st Press US $77.03 [7 bids]
Van der Graaf Generator - Still Life (2005 Virgin EMI remaster - Bonus Track) US $8.95 Buy It Now 18h 6m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - PAWN HEARTS Pink Scroll Charisma 1st UK Press 1971 US $17.21 [7 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator-Godbluff LP 1976 Mercury US PROMO EX/VG+ RARE US $16.99 [0 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts 180G LP REISSUE NEW w/ GATEFOLD prog-rock US $17.00 Buy It Now 20h 26m
Van Der Graaf Generator - H To He, Who Am The Only One 180G LP REISSUE NEW PROG US $17.00 Buy It Now 21h 10m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR: H To He Who Am The Only One LP (180 gram reissue) Rock US $18.00 Buy It Now 21h 11m
Van der Graaf Generator - 1st Generation (1987) CD - FREE FASTPOST US $6.54 Buy It Now 21h 18m
Van Der Graaf Generator - The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other 180G LP NEW US $17.00 Buy It Now 21h 26m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - PRESENT NEW CD US $28.12 Buy It Now 22h 7m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - WORLD RECORD - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $29.97 Buy It Now 22h 17m
Van Der Graaf Generator - World Record [CD New] US $9.46 Buy It Now 22h 54m
X My Heart by Peter Hammill (CD, May-1996, Discipline) Van Der Graaf Generator US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - STILL LIFE - BONUS TRACK NEW CD US $20.75 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - H TO HE WHO AM THE ONLY ONE, 2012 UK vinyl 2LP, NEW! US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RARE and VERY CHEAP Van Der Graaf Generator. Peter Hammill.In Camera.Exc. lp. US $10.00 [0 bids]
SUPER RAREST Van Der Graaf Generator. Peter Hammill.Out of Water.Excellent lp. US $10.00 [0 bids]
Van der Graaf Generator Repeat Performance LP 1980 Charisma prog psych Fripp US $17.97 Buy It Now 1 day
Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life CD US $17.85 Buy It Now 1 day
Van der Graaf Generator - Classic Albums (First Generation/Godbluff, 2012) US $10.78 Buy It Now 1 day
Van Der Graaf Generator-H to He Who Am the Only One cd 2 bonus remaster US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - H To He Who Am The Only One - LP US $31.30 Buy It Now 1 day
Van Der Graaf Generator - Trisector NEW CD US $8.05 Buy It Now 1 day
Van Der Graaf Generator - Live In Concert At Metropolis Studios London NEW 2 x C US $18.83 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR LP The Aereosol Gray Machine ITALY only SWIRL VERTIGO US $115.00 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-Lot of 2 magazine adverts US $4.90 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR JAPAN OBI Replica TO THE ORIGINAL IN A CD Sealed Box Set US $499.99 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR :"TIME VAULTS" 1985 CHARLY ROCK AND ROLL LP-NICE IMPORT US $8.99 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - VITAL (LIVE) NEW CD US $32.53 Buy It Now 1 day
Van der Graaf Generator-The Long Hello-United Artists 29718-ITALY US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR H to H Who Am The Only One CAROL 1638-2 Prog/Psych CD US $3.99 [0 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator - Present [CD New] US $14.52 Buy It Now 1 day
EX- UK PINK CHARISMA LP - VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - PAWN HEARTS US $18.85 [3 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR GODBLUFF ORIGINAL 1ST UK '75 CHARISMA CAS 1109 RARE LP ! US $21.29 [0 bids]
EX- UK PINK CHARISMA LP - VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - THE LEAST WE COULD DO IS US $16.37 [1 bids]
rock prog FOCUS 3 LP 1972 gentle giant caravan yes van der graaf generator nekta US $4.92 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - Time Heals: Live 1977 (mini LP / CD) quiet zone tour US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR,GODBLUFF,NR MINT 1975 ORIG UK LP,CHARISMA,1109,HAMMILL!! US $18.03 [4 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Godbluff 180G VINYL LP US $49.15 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR PETER HAMMILL Theme One / W GERMAN 7"PS 1972 NEAR MINT! US $49.99 [1 bids]
PSYCH ROCK LP/ VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR "THE LEAST WE CAN DO IS WAVE" ~ CHARISMA US $24.00 [0 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator - Live In Concert At Metropolis Studios US $17.99 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR The Least We Can Do Is Wave UK LP Pink Charisma Label US $11.98 [0 bids]
Peter Hammill & K Group: The Margin(Live) 2xLP UK Van der Graaf Generator US $15.99 Buy It Now 1 day
PETER HAMMILL:(From VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR)On Location-U.K.LP PCV Live 90 US $68.98 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR H to He Who am the Only One UK CHARISMA VG+ 3rd pressing US $9.99 [0 bids]
PETER HAMMILL Fool's Mate US CHARISMA VG+ VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR US $9.99 [0 bids]
PETER HAMMILL Nadir's Big Chance UK CHARISMA EX VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR US $9.99 [1 bids]
CD PETER HAMMILL - SKIN Van Der Graaf Generator Guy Evans Hugh Banton Jax US $5.00 [0 bids]
PETER HAMMILL: THE FUTURE NOW + ENTER K * 2 LPs ENGLAND *VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR US $12.99 [0 bids]
Van der Graaf Generator - Vital Van der Graaf Live Japan Mini LP Sleeve CD NEW US $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Van der Graaf Generator - World Record Japan Mini LP Sleeve CD NEW US $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Van der Graaf Generator Quiet Zone/Pleasure Dome Japan Mini LP Sleeve CD NEW US $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
2013 VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR H To He Who Am JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD BONUS TRACKS US $32.00 Buy It Now 2 days
2013 VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Pawn Hearts JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD BONUS TRACKS US $32.00 Buy It Now 2 days
2013 VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Godbluff JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD BONUS TRACKS US $32.00 Buy It Now 2 days
2013 VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR World Record JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD BONUS TRACKS US $32.00 Buy It Now 2 days
2013 VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR The Quiet Zone JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD BONUS TRACKS US $32.00 Buy It Now 2 days
2013 VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR VITAL LIVE JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD US $42.50 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Pawn Hearts FIRST JAPAN CD OBI VJD-28074 Peter Hammill US $39.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator - H To He, Who Am The Only One (Vinyl LP) New US $27.78 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other (Vinyl LP) US $27.78 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - Pawn Hearts, New CD (Japan Mini LP replica) VJCP-68759 US $28.99 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - The Quiet Zone / Pleasure Dome (Japan Mini LP replica) US $26.50 [0 bids]
PROMO WHITE / VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR WORLD RECORD US $149.99 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR**PAWN HEARTS (REMASTERED)**CD US $13.63 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR:THE LEAST WE CAN DO+5 US $11.46 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - I PROPHESY DISASTER: LIVE IN ITALY 1972- PETER HAMMILL US $65.54 [0 bids]
Peter Hammill-In Camera UK Charisma prog lp Van Der Graaf Generator US $50.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Peter Hammill-Nadir's Big Chance UK Charisma prog lp Van Der Graaf Generator US $50.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Still Life Van Der Graaf Generator CD US $14.31 Buy It Now 2 days
The Quiet Zone / The Pleasure Dome Van Der Graaf Generator Audio CD US $14.31 Buy It Now 2 days
AMON DUUL Fool Moon NEW CD Düül Remaster PROG (Hawkwind Van der Graaf Generator) US $6.99 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Least We Do Is Wave To Each Other PROBE sealed ORIG LP US $89.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator - Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other [CD New] US $12.39 Buy It Now 3 days
Peter Hammill Skin UK CD NEW '86 Guy Evans Stuart Gordon Van der Graaf Generator US $35.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Van der Graaf Generator - 1st Generation - CD - Scenes From 1969-1971 US $6.47 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - Godbluff (reissue) - 180 gram vinyl gatefol 2xLP US $36.47 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator - Live At Metropolis Studio (NEW 2 12" VINYL LP) US $42.60 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator "Now and Then" SEALED U.K. CD US $3.99 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-STILL LIFE-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G00 US $31.50 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-PAWN HEARTS-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G00 US $31.50 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - FELLOW TRAVELERS (RARE LP/SHRINK) US $32.00 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR WORLD RECORD LP 9211-1120 US $16.37 [0 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator - The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other LP US $16.37 [2 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR THE QUIET ZONE / THE PLEASURE DOME LP US $16.37 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Repeat Performance UK vinyl LP EXCELLENT CONDITION US $30.71 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR PAWN HEARTS 1971 CHARISMA CAS 1051 A-1U B-1U EXCELLENT+ US $18.21 [2 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-GODBLUFF-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G00 US $31.50 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator- The Least We Can Do Is Wave...- US Probe- Psych/Prog LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR[Peter Hammill,David Jackson]: GODBLUFF[+BONUS TRACKS]NEW US $10.99 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-WORLD RECORD-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G00 US $31.50 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-H TO HE WHO AM THE ONLY ONE-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G00 US $31.50 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR music online Buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR First Generation (Scenes from 1969-1971) ratings distribution

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR First Generation (Scenes from 1969-1971) reviews

Review by Dick Heath
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Jazz-Rock Specialist
2 stars CD 1 of a two set retrospective set (the other "Second Generation"), based on a goodly choice of sampler tracks taken from their first three Charisma albums. Released on CD by Virgin Records along with half dozen other compilations of some of the label's poorer selling bands, with the intent of putting their back-catalogue back into the public's mind (and hadn't Branson just bought the Charisma label 1985/6?). It worked for me I went out and bought "H to He" , "Wave To Each Other" and "Pawn's Heart"- and I now have a redundant sampler!!!

Well there is a second reason for redundancy: that "Theme One" tune - I avoid it like the plague. Tommy Vance used it as the closing music for his "The Friday Rock Show" on BBC Radio 1 and overplay killed it. And the Cozy Powell spoilt an otherwise excellent jazz rock- based album "Over The Top", by including a heavy version of this George Martin's tune.

Send comments to Dick Heath (BETA) | Report this review (#8064) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
5 stars This is the third review of this compilation, and the first to give it over 3*. I simply have to give five, but NOT just for the average. The three VDGG albums behind this compilation are worth having as such, but for a listener like me, who doesn't want to have hundreds of CD's or LP's but instead usually tapes music for himself and has a relatively small (less than 200) but the more effective CD choice, this is nearly perfect to have. Masterworks "H To He..." and "Pawn Hearts" are well represented - only 'Lemmings' is excluded from the latter. 'Killers' and 'Pioneers Over C' are IMO not the best tracks from "H To He..." but still great ones. 'Theme One' as a non-album instrumental track is a nice addition even if it was a mere curiosity. My favourite prog epic is here too: 'Plague of the Lighthouse Keepers'.

I believe this serves as a good introduction to VDGG (for lovers of dark prog), but there must be as many opinions about compilations as there are record collectors: some just want to have the original albums, and if you like this, you HAVE to get the rest of the material too, somehow. The booklet includes an essay and a schedule of line-up changes in VDGG. Not lyrics, unfortunately. But there are over 70 minutes of music from one of the most daring and deeply emotional bands ever existed. (And I think this is a better compilation than the higher-rated "I Prophesy Disaster", which covers longer time-line.)

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#8067) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Review by Bj-1
2 stars Although this compilation represents some of Van Der Graaf Generator's very best works of their first three Charisma releases it's not really necessary to pick up unless you're a newcomer to this band or a completionist. Personally, I would rather recommend getting these three albums separately since they all are excellent (notably "Pawn Hearts") instead of just getting a few songs from each on one CD. It's a good alternative if you have a limited budget though, and the songs selections represent some of the finest early Van Der Graaf Generator material, but overall it's not really essential unless you have a limited budget. New fans or collectors only!

Send comments to Bj-1 (BETA) | Report this review (#54553) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 03, 2005

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars When I switched from vinyl to CD (quite late actually - 1996 or so), this was the first VDGG effort I bought (I owned most of their vinyls). It covers their first... generation but skips "The Aerosol...".

I appreciate quite a lot the fact that their record company dared to integrate a track like "A Plague..." in its ENTIRETY. Actually, it was Virgin Records which took over Charisma in ...1984 that put these compilation on the market. Nothing as such poor edition like "Thick" (about three minutes) in some Tull compilations. No, the track. The whole track. When I was in the record store and saw this compilation I said : "Well, this looks great". And I tell you, it sounds great as well.

Just one track that is not at all relevant here : "Theme One" of course. I would also have preferred to have "House With No Door" and "Lost" rather than "Killer" and "Pioneers Over C". But I guess that the perfect compilation does not exist and that each one of us is best adviced in creating his own one.

Since it is a compil, I will compile my reviews as well (taking my original one from each of the according number present on this effort). I hope you got the idea.

The opener "Darkness 11/11" set the pace to what VDGG will be known for : complex, intriguant, non-commercial music. This is a typical VDDG song (first period). It was written on November eleven (hence the title).

"Killer" is an old number from Hammill during VDGG's prehistory (he wrote it 1968). It has the typical VDGG's sound. A bit heavy at times but good. Lyrics are talking about a killer fish living alone on the bottom of the sea. Quite simplistic according VDGG standard.

"Man-Erg" is a kaleidoscope of what VDGG produces : complex music with rythm changes, nice melodic passages combined with (very few) cacophonic moments as well. It is by far my fave here. The lyrics are incredible. Peter describes a schizo having both a killer and angels inside him : "How can I be free? How can I get help? Am I really me? Am I someone else?". It is quite similar to "House With No Door" (one of my VDGG's fave). Same for this : a great song.

"Theme One" is an instrumental piece of music with little inspiration. Repetitive and a bit boring. Few Jackson's interventions (only during the second half). Very keyboard oriented (strong though). It was the generic of the radio programme "Rock Friday Rock Show" and written by Georges Martin. Peter Hammill was not even in the studio when it was recorded ! VDGG will play it first as a rehearsal, then in live gigs but there was never a place for it on a album (guess why). Peter will say : "This was something different for VDGG". I bet you !

"Pioneers Over C" is another episode in the VDGG story. Peter will say that it was his sole attempt to write a sci-fi song. I quote Peter : "In this particular case, my hypothesis (I reserve the right to other time/eventuality options) is that the pioneers go into a time warp, endless living death, the void: unable to get back to earthly reality at all". At times (around the sixth minutes, for about 3'30") they remind me of KC : impro and jazzy. These moments are NOT the ones I like the most in their repertoire.

One of their two epic songs (second one coming much, much later) : "A Plague ..." consist of ten parts linking very well the one into the other. Do not expect though anything à la "Supper's Ready" or "Close to the Edge". VDGG has a style apart that cannot be compared to anything else. You listen and either you like it or not. No mixed feeling about it !

I have a lot of respect for Peter who was able to remember this awful amount of text during live performances (I had the same feeling for Jon while Yes performed "The Revealing Science of God"). No wonder they will often play a "Plague Medley" with only half (or so) of the song.

It starts on a smooth tempo with nice vocals and a very discreet band, it builds a bit stronger then comes part two "Pictures/Lighthouse" which is a lenghty spacey moment leading to some noisy and then almost noise-less one (around minute four). Back to "Eyewitness" for part three (as far as I am concerned they could have easily skip part two). "S.H.M." has more rythm. Good backing band and some melodious (but dark) vocals : "The spectres scratch on window-slits, hollowed faces, mindless grins, only intent on destroying what they've lost".

"The Presence of the Night : part five is quiet and sad. Truely emotional. One desperately wants to come and save the character : "'Alone, alone,'the ghosts all call, pinpoint me in the light.The only life I feel at all, is the presence of the night". Brrrr. Very good section.

Next one "Kosmos Tour" is jamming and irritating. I prefer the part seven "Custard's Last Stand" : more melodious with great piano work and subtle sax. A very nice section again. Back to complexity/cacophony with part eight : "The Cloth Thickens". Weird vocals, with different tones. Difficult moment for me.

Hopefully, the last two sections are all harmony and closes this track in a beautiful manner (it was needed). IMO, it is not really the type of songs you can spin three times in a row (unlike "Firth Of Fifht", "And You And I" or "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" if you see what I mean. (I did it twice though while I am finalizing this review).

WHAT COMES NEXT IS FOR ME, ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SONG EVER WRITTEN.

I bought "The Least..." at the end of 1973, and still today (2007) after I don't know how many listenings, I always feel so deep in love with the track. The lyrics are so dramatic, Peter so intense. This song has passed the proof of time (I have been through quite a lot of musical experiences so far - thirty five years of music addiction, lots of genres involved). Each time I listen to this song it is truely like an amazement. It is (for me) a shivering moment : I think of those millions of people for whom the West (or maybe the North now) is refugees'home. A song that really kicks your ass : not with the rythm of course but with the lyrics and Pete's interpretation and sincere emotion. FYI, Mike & Susie (a future British actress) who are referred to in the song were old friends from Peter. They had shared a flat for about six months. When they were about to leave, Peter was so full of melancholia that he wrote a song about people looking for a home. This nostalgia is magnificently rendered with this jewel.

This is definitely a good compilation. I would highly recommend it to anyone willing to enter the VDGG world.

Four stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#108588) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars Where else are you going to find an album with VDGG classics such as these?

It is rare indeed as is this compilation that just happens to feature my all time favourite prog track A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers. OK, for that it is worth the price of purchase perhaps. But if you don't own PAWN HEARTS, then forget this and just buy that album!

Also the brilliiant Darkness and Refugees are here from the incredible THE LEAST WE CAN DO IS WAVE TO EACH OTHER.

Killer is the best track from H TO HE WHO AM THE ONLY ONE.

Also Man-Erg is wonderful from PAWN HEARTS as is the bonus track from that album Theme One. There is only one track missing from that album so this is a bit of a waste.

Pioneers over C is also from H TO HE... but the other tracks from that album are excellent.

So there you have it. The best tracks from the best albums but is it worth buying?

If I had no VDGG albums and wanted a taste, of course I would not resist this taster, but seriously the albums mentioned should be in every prog fans collection making this compilation obsolete! No VDGG fan would need this compilation album, unlike the BOX SET which features a lot of rarities UNRELEASED!

I recommend grabbing this comp if you are dead set never going to purchase those other albums, but trust me.... You are missing out on simply the best prog in history!

I have to give this at least 4 stars because those tracks on here are absolute masterpieces and I can never tire of them. And at least they are not edited and are presented here in all their glory.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#252569) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 24, 2009

4 stars This sampler was meant to generate more sales of the first albums of this excellent band. Unfortunate; is now difficult to find. I would therefore suggest to the marketing people that this sampler is being re- released again as a low-price album. Maybe it should be included as a free CD for the C ... (read more)

Report this review (#216453) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Monday, May 18, 2009 | Review Permanlink

2 stars This one is a collection of songs from the first three albums the band released on Charisma records, "H to He, who am I the only one", "The least we can do is wave to each other" and "Pawn Hearts". It's important to understand that they had released another album before those three on Mercury ... (read more)

Report this review (#103430) | Posted by sularetal | Sunday, December 17, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This was my first VDGG album and one I used to get into them. It's superb! I wanted to give it 5 stars, but as I haven't heard anything else by them, I'll give it 4, since I cannot say if it is better than the average VDGG album. My favourites on this album are Darkness (11/11), Killer, Man- ... (read more)

Report this review (#66090) | Posted by Moonlit_Knight | Sunday, January 22, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This was my first introduction to Van Der Graaf Generator. After beeing fan of King Crimson, Zappa and Änglagård for a while, I went out to explore new bands. I had heard talk of Van Der Graaf, but never heard any of their music. As a poor student I could not afford buing a cd with them, as I ... (read more)

Report this review (#54540) | Posted by Syndromet | Thursday, November 03, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Work announced in 1986 "First Generation". The best compilation album that collected tune from work at the so-called first term. It is glad to be able to listen to "Theme One" of the single. I have three word to discrive this album.Collectors/fans only.However, it can be said that it will be g ... (read more)

Report this review (#47237) | Posted by braindamage | Monday, September 19, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR "First Generation (Scenes from 1969-1971)"