FIRST GENERATION (SCENES FROM 1969-1971)

Van Der Graaf Generator

Van Der Graaf Generator First Generation (Scenes from 1969-1971) album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1986

1. Darkness (11/11) (7:27)
2. Killer (8:07)
3. Man-Erg* (10:21)
4. Theme One* (4:00)
5. Pioneers over C. (12:05)
6. A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers* (23:04)
a) Eyewitness

- Peter Hammill / vocals, guitars, pianos
- Hugh Banton / organs, bass pedals and guitars, mellotron, piano
- Guy Evans / drums and percussion
- David Jackson / saxes, flute
- Nic Poter / bass (except No 3 & 4)

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR First Generation (Scenes from 1969-1971) Music

EMI International 2012
Live at the Paradiso 14:04:07Live at the Paradiso 14:04:07
Voiceprint UK 2009
Van Der Graaf Generator-1ST GENERATION CD NEW US $9.99 Buy It Now 45m 32s
Van Der Graaf Generator - Live At Metropolis Studios London [CD New] US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff [CD New] US $12.96 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff on Mercury Records SRM-1-1069 Stereo US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 25m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - PAWN HEARTS [CD NEW] US $11.94 Buy It Now 6h 40m
Trisector Van Der Graaf Generator Audio CD US $14.04 Buy It Now 10h 41m
The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome, Mini LP Japan Slipcase Van der Graaf Generator US $15.00 Buy It Now 10h 55m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - PAWN HEARTS - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $20.32 Buy It Now 13h 7m
PETER HAMMILL-VISION-1978 Visa Records (USA) LP-Van der Graaf Generator US $8.98 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - PRESENT, ORG 2005 EU 2CD, NEW - SEALED! US $12.99 Buy It Now 15h 32m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR H To He Who Am The Only One JPN Mini CD EMI Near Mint ! US $32.75 Buy It Now 18h 16m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR:TRISECTOR US $11.24 Buy It Now 20h 50m
Van Der Graaf Generator (Nic Potter & Guy Evans,The Long Hello - Volume Two,LP US $21.69 Buy It Now 20h 50m
Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts CD US $18.00 Buy It Now 21h 30m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - GROUNDING IN NUMBERS TOP UK PROG! US $8.00 [1 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator - A Grounding In Numbers - EVDGCD1001 US $16.76 Buy It Now 22h 21m
Van Der Graaf Generator - Alt - EVDGCD1003 US $16.93 Buy It Now 22h 24m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR -1969 -Aerosol Grey Machine" US $22.11 [0 bids]
33 RPM Vinyl H To He Who am the Only One Van Der Graaf Generator 052014JDE US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Van Der Graaf Generator-Godbluff LP 1976 Mercury US PROMO EX/VG+ RARE US $11.99 [0 bids]
Peter Hammill: 4 CD+Black Promo Box Japan Mini-LP New (van der graaf generator Z US $295.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PETER HAMMILL pH7 LP Vinyl Record 1979 Charisma Van Der Graaf Generator US $21.99 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - H to He Who Am ...1970 UK 1st Press PINK SCROLL EX+ US $160.80 [1 bids]
PETER HAMMILL Skin LP 1986 Virgin Foundry Records Vinyl VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR US $9.25 Buy It Now 1 day
Van Der Graaf Generator - The Masters US $6.83 [0 bids]
The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome by Van der Graaf Generator *New CD* US $8.31 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-QUIET ZONE Greek LP UNIQUE GATEFOLD! EXCELLENT US $24.99 [0 bids]
Van Der Graaf generator - World record 1976 LP Very nice! US $18.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Van Der Graaf generator - The Quiet zone/The pleasure zone 1977 LP Nice! US $16.99 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-GODBLUFF-ORIGINAL '88 UK ISSUE US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Van Der Graaf Generator-Vital Live 2 cds remaster 2 bonus US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - LEAST WE CAN DO IS WAVE TO EACH OTHER NEW CD US $20.32 Buy It Now 1 day
Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff - NM/VG+ w/ Corner cut US $9.99 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR H to He~Who am the Only One ORIGINAL CHARISMA LP PROG US $19.95 [0 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator-The Least We Can Do Is Wave cd 2 bonus remaster US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - LIVE IN CONCERT AT METROPOLIS STUDIOS (+DVD) NEW CD US $22.86 Buy It Now 1 day
Van Der Graaf Generator The Aerosol Grey Machine Psychedelic Mercury SR 61238-1 US $28.40 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-THE LEAST WE CAN DO..C.D US $4.81 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR H To He Who Am The Only One 1970 CHARISMA near mint US $18.49 [5 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other CHARISMA NM US $12.06 [3 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Van Der Graaf Generator '68-'71 1972 CHARIMA Nr MINT US $6.43 [1 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Godbluff & INNER 1975 CHARISMA NEAR MINT US $17.69 [2 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Still Life 1976 CHARISMA NEAR MINT US $18.49 [3 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR World Record 1976 CHARISMA NEAR MINT US $17.69 [2 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome & INSERT 1977 NEAR MINT US $17.69 [2 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Vital 1978 DOUBLE LP Charisma NEAR MINT US $17.69 [3 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Pawn Hearts & INSERT 1971 PINK SCROLL near mint US $20.10 [4 bids]
Van der graaf generator-2005 magazine advert US $8.02 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - Live At Metropolis Studio - 2xLP US $41.41 Buy It Now 1 day
Van Der Graaf Generator The Least We Can Do is wave to each other lp '70 rare !! US $62.00 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR CARAVAN CONCERT POSTER MAGNET APPROX 5" X 4" US $5.63 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - GODBLUFF - REMASTERED CD + BONUS TRACKS - MINT US $7.22 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - LEAST WE CAN DO UK PROG LP ORIGINAL GATEFOLD GERMANY US $30.00 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS COLLECTION (REF T26) US $16.00 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS COLLECTION (REF T27) US $16.00 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - Pawn Hearts, New CD (Japan Mini LP replica) VJCP-68759 US $28.99 [0 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator- Time Vaults US $21.99 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other CD US $10.44 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - The Quiet Zone / Pleasure Dome (Japan Mini LP replica) US $26.50 [0 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator : An Introduction: from the Least to the Quiet Zone CD US $5.60 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator: Time Vaults CD 2008 Abstract Sounds / Candlelight NEW US $5.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Van der Graaf Generator - Cd And Book Boxset - Transmissions - New and Sealed US $14.46 [0 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator World Record Vinyl LP - EX US $65.12 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - POSTCARD SET # 1 - concert posters, promos etc - NEW US $8.02 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR LP Least We Can Do ABC PROBE promo sticker NICE COPY US $5.00 [0 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator- The Aerosol Grey Machine LP US $31.37 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - GROUNDING IN NUMBERS NEW CD US $31.86 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR H To He Who Am JAPAN SHM MINI LP CD NEW TYCP-80010 US $27.99 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR World Record JAPAN SHM MINI LP CD TYCP-80014 US $39.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator - Live At Metropolis Studio - Vinyl 2-LP Import 2014 US $43.99 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR**PAWN HEARTS (180 GRAM/GATEFOLD)**VINYL US $21.95 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR**LEAST WE CAN DO IS WAVE TO EACH OTHER**VINYL US $21.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator - Live At Metropolis Studios London CD US $16.06 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR: H To He, Who Am The Only One (Rock & Pop Charisma VG+) US $50.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other New 2 x LP US $39.28 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other Vinyl LP NEW US $33.69 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator - The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome (NEW CD) US $10.84 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life (NEW CD) US $10.84 Buy It Now 2 days
Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other - Van Der Graaf Generator New US $53.29 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR CARAVAN CONCERT REPRO MINI-POSTER 7" x 5" US $5.63 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator Still Life 2005 Remaster with bonus track New US $11.24 Buy It Now 2 days
Van der Graaf Generator - The Aerosol Grey Machine LP Germany VG+/VG+ Prog US $32.16 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other - G+ CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator "Pawn Hearts" Lp Vinyl Record CAS 1051 VG Gatefold Album US $6.50 [0 bids]
van der graaf generator 68-71 lp US $32.15 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf generator world record 1976 LP charisma 9124001 peter hammill oop! US $33.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator Godbluff 1975 Charisma Prog peter hammill lp oop rare !! US $44.00 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR:Theme One (Instr.)2:53-W 4:24-France 7" Philips Mono PSL US $98.98 Buy It Now 3 days
( VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR -Still Life)-an essential album/PROG-B4-LP US $26.38 Buy It Now 3 days
Van der Graaf Generator JAPAN 8 titles Mini LP SHM-CD SS +PROMO BOX SET US $319.99 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Still Life JAPAN SHM MINI LP CD NEW TYCP-80013 US $39.99 Buy It Now 3 days
PETER HAMMILL Vision LP prog. rock ORIG US Pr ex-VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR NMint- US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Seventh Wave - Psi-Fi cd 1975 Chillum Second Hand Van der Graaf Generator LINE US $24.90 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - THE LEAST WE CAN DO IS IS WAVE TO EACH OTHER NEW LP US $45.99 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR T SHIRT PETER HAMMILL US $17.67 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR. "THE LEAST WE CAN DO IS WAVE TO EACH OTHER" LP. EX. US $16.07 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Montreal 77 LP Rare live US $49.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator-Trisector US $10.99 Buy It Now 4 days
HERBERT GRONEMEYER Full Moon PROMO DJ CD PETER HAMMILL Van der Graaf Generator US $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR A Grounding In Numbers VINYL LP US $36.97 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR music online Buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR First Generation (Scenes from 1969-1971) ratings distribution

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR First Generation (Scenes from 1969-1971) reviews

Review by Dick Heath
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Jazz-Rock Specialist
2 stars CD 1 of a two set retrospective set (the other "Second Generation"), based on a goodly choice of sampler tracks taken from their first three Charisma albums. Released on CD by Virgin Records along with half dozen other compilations of some of the label's poorer selling bands, with the intent of putting their back-catalogue back into the public's mind (and hadn't Branson just bought the Charisma label 1985/6?). It worked for me I went out and bought "H to He" , "Wave To Each Other" and "Pawn's Heart"- and I now have a redundant sampler!!!

Well there is a second reason for redundancy: that "Theme One" tune - I avoid it like the plague. Tommy Vance used it as the closing music for his "The Friday Rock Show" on BBC Radio 1 and overplay killed it. And the Cozy Powell spoilt an otherwise excellent jazz rock- based album "Over The Top", by including a heavy version of this George Martin's tune.

Send comments to Dick Heath (BETA) | Report this review (#8064) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
5 stars This is the third review of this compilation, and the first to give it over 3*. I simply have to give five, but NOT just for the average. The three VDGG albums behind this compilation are worth having as such, but for a listener like me, who doesn't want to have hundreds of CD's or LP's but instead usually tapes music for himself and has a relatively small (less than 200) but the more effective CD choice, this is nearly perfect to have. Masterworks "H To He..." and "Pawn Hearts" are well represented - only 'Lemmings' is excluded from the latter. 'Killers' and 'Pioneers Over C' are IMO not the best tracks from "H To He..." but still great ones. 'Theme One' as a non-album instrumental track is a nice addition even if it was a mere curiosity. My favourite prog epic is here too: 'Plague of the Lighthouse Keepers'.

I believe this serves as a good introduction to VDGG (for lovers of dark prog), but there must be as many opinions about compilations as there are record collectors: some just want to have the original albums, and if you like this, you HAVE to get the rest of the material too, somehow. The booklet includes an essay and a schedule of line-up changes in VDGG. Not lyrics, unfortunately. But there are over 70 minutes of music from one of the most daring and deeply emotional bands ever existed. (And I think this is a better compilation than the higher-rated "I Prophesy Disaster", which covers longer time-line.)

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#8067) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Review by Bj-1
2 stars Although this compilation represents some of Van Der Graaf Generator's very best works of their first three Charisma releases it's not really necessary to pick up unless you're a newcomer to this band or a completionist. Personally, I would rather recommend getting these three albums separately since they all are excellent (notably "Pawn Hearts") instead of just getting a few songs from each on one CD. It's a good alternative if you have a limited budget though, and the songs selections represent some of the finest early Van Der Graaf Generator material, but overall it's not really essential unless you have a limited budget. New fans or collectors only!

Send comments to Bj-1 (BETA) | Report this review (#54553) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 03, 2005

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars When I switched from vinyl to CD (quite late actually - 1996 or so), this was the first VDGG effort I bought (I owned most of their vinyls). It covers their first... generation but skips "The Aerosol...".

I appreciate quite a lot the fact that their record company dared to integrate a track like "A Plague..." in its ENTIRETY. Actually, it was Virgin Records which took over Charisma in ...1984 that put these compilation on the market. Nothing as such poor edition like "Thick" (about three minutes) in some Tull compilations. No, the track. The whole track. When I was in the record store and saw this compilation I said : "Well, this looks great". And I tell you, it sounds great as well.

Just one track that is not at all relevant here : "Theme One" of course. I would also have preferred to have "House With No Door" and "Lost" rather than "Killer" and "Pioneers Over C". But I guess that the perfect compilation does not exist and that each one of us is best adviced in creating his own one.

Since it is a compil, I will compile my reviews as well (taking my original one from each of the according number present on this effort). I hope you got the idea.

The opener "Darkness 11/11" set the pace to what VDGG will be known for : complex, intriguant, non-commercial music. This is a typical VDDG song (first period). It was written on November eleven (hence the title).

"Killer" is an old number from Hammill during VDGG's prehistory (he wrote it 1968). It has the typical VDGG's sound. A bit heavy at times but good. Lyrics are talking about a killer fish living alone on the bottom of the sea. Quite simplistic according VDGG standard.

"Man-Erg" is a kaleidoscope of what VDGG produces : complex music with rythm changes, nice melodic passages combined with (very few) cacophonic moments as well. It is by far my fave here. The lyrics are incredible. Peter describes a schizo having both a killer and angels inside him : "How can I be free? How can I get help? Am I really me? Am I someone else?". It is quite similar to "House With No Door" (one of my VDGG's fave). Same for this : a great song.

"Theme One" is an instrumental piece of music with little inspiration. Repetitive and a bit boring. Few Jackson's interventions (only during the second half). Very keyboard oriented (strong though). It was the generic of the radio programme "Rock Friday Rock Show" and written by Georges Martin. Peter Hammill was not even in the studio when it was recorded ! VDGG will play it first as a rehearsal, then in live gigs but there was never a place for it on a album (guess why). Peter will say : "This was something different for VDGG". I bet you !

"Pioneers Over C" is another episode in the VDGG story. Peter will say that it was his sole attempt to write a sci-fi song. I quote Peter : "In this particular case, my hypothesis (I reserve the right to other time/eventuality options) is that the pioneers go into a time warp, endless living death, the void: unable to get back to earthly reality at all". At times (around the sixth minutes, for about 3'30") they remind me of KC : impro and jazzy. These moments are NOT the ones I like the most in their repertoire.

One of their two epic songs (second one coming much, much later) : "A Plague ..." consist of ten parts linking very well the one into the other. Do not expect though anything ā la "Supper's Ready" or "Close to the Edge". VDGG has a style apart that cannot be compared to anything else. You listen and either you like it or not. No mixed feeling about it !

I have a lot of respect for Peter who was able to remember this awful amount of text during live performances (I had the same feeling for Jon while Yes performed "The Revealing Science of God"). No wonder they will often play a "Plague Medley" with only half (or so) of the song.

It starts on a smooth tempo with nice vocals and a very discreet band, it builds a bit stronger then comes part two "Pictures/Lighthouse" which is a lenghty spacey moment leading to some noisy and then almost noise-less one (around minute four). Back to "Eyewitness" for part three (as far as I am concerned they could have easily skip part two). "S.H.M." has more rythm. Good backing band and some melodious (but dark) vocals : "The spectres scratch on window-slits, hollowed faces, mindless grins, only intent on destroying what they've lost".

"The Presence of the Night : part five is quiet and sad. Truely emotional. One desperately wants to come and save the character : "'Alone, alone,'the ghosts all call, pinpoint me in the light.The only life I feel at all, is the presence of the night". Brrrr. Very good section.

Next one "Kosmos Tour" is jamming and irritating. I prefer the part seven "Custard's Last Stand" : more melodious with great piano work and subtle sax. A very nice section again. Back to complexity/cacophony with part eight : "The Cloth Thickens". Weird vocals, with different tones. Difficult moment for me.

Hopefully, the last two sections are all harmony and closes this track in a beautiful manner (it was needed). IMO, it is not really the type of songs you can spin three times in a row (unlike "Firth Of Fifht", "And You And I" or "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" if you see what I mean. (I did it twice though while I am finalizing this review).

WHAT COMES NEXT IS FOR ME, ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SONG EVER WRITTEN.

I bought "The Least..." at the end of 1973, and still today (2007) after I don't know how many listenings, I always feel so deep in love with the track. The lyrics are so dramatic, Peter so intense. This song has passed the proof of time (I have been through quite a lot of musical experiences so far - thirty five years of music addiction, lots of genres involved). Each time I listen to this song it is truely like an amazement. It is (for me) a shivering moment : I think of those millions of people for whom the West (or maybe the North now) is refugees'home. A song that really kicks your ass : not with the rythm of course but with the lyrics and Pete's interpretation and sincere emotion. FYI, Mike & Susie (a future British actress) who are referred to in the song were old friends from Peter. They had shared a flat for about six months. When they were about to leave, Peter was so full of melancholia that he wrote a song about people looking for a home. This nostalgia is magnificently rendered with this jewel.

This is definitely a good compilation. I would highly recommend it to anyone willing to enter the VDGG world.

Four stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#108588) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars Where else are you going to find an album with VDGG classics such as these?

It is rare indeed as is this compilation that just happens to feature my all time favourite prog track A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers. OK, for that it is worth the price of purchase perhaps. But if you don't own PAWN HEARTS, then forget this and just buy that album!

Also the brilliiant Darkness and Refugees are here from the incredible THE LEAST WE CAN DO IS WAVE TO EACH OTHER.

Killer is the best track from H TO HE WHO AM THE ONLY ONE.

Also Man-Erg is wonderful from PAWN HEARTS as is the bonus track from that album Theme One. There is only one track missing from that album so this is a bit of a waste.

Pioneers over C is also from H TO HE... but the other tracks from that album are excellent.

So there you have it. The best tracks from the best albums but is it worth buying?

If I had no VDGG albums and wanted a taste, of course I would not resist this taster, but seriously the albums mentioned should be in every prog fans collection making this compilation obsolete! No VDGG fan would need this compilation album, unlike the BOX SET which features a lot of rarities UNRELEASED!

I recommend grabbing this comp if you are dead set never going to purchase those other albums, but trust me.... You are missing out on simply the best prog in history!

I have to give this at least 4 stars because those tracks on here are absolute masterpieces and I can never tire of them. And at least they are not edited and are presented here in all their glory.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#252569) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 24, 2009

4 stars This sampler was meant to generate more sales of the first albums of this excellent band. Unfortunate; is now difficult to find. I would therefore suggest to the marketing people that this sampler is being re- released again as a low-price album. Maybe it should be included as a free CD for the C ... (read more)

Report this review (#216453) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Monday, May 18, 2009 | Review Permanlink

2 stars This one is a collection of songs from the first three albums the band released on Charisma records, "H to He, who am I the only one", "The least we can do is wave to each other" and "Pawn Hearts". It's important to understand that they had released another album before those three on Mercury ... (read more)

Report this review (#103430) | Posted by sularetal | Sunday, December 17, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This was my first VDGG album and one I used to get into them. It's superb! I wanted to give it 5 stars, but as I haven't heard anything else by them, I'll give it 4, since I cannot say if it is better than the average VDGG album. My favourites on this album are Darkness (11/11), Killer, Man- ... (read more)

Report this review (#66090) | Posted by Moonlit_Knight | Sunday, January 22, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This was my first introduction to Van Der Graaf Generator. After beeing fan of King Crimson, Zappa and Änglagård for a while, I went out to explore new bands. I had heard talk of Van Der Graaf, but never heard any of their music. As a poor student I could not afford buing a cd with them, as I ... (read more)

Report this review (#54540) | Posted by Syndromet | Thursday, November 03, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Work announced in 1986 "First Generation". The best compilation album that collected tune from work at the so-called first term. It is glad to be able to listen to "Theme One" of the single. I have three word to discrive this album.Collectors/fans only.However, it can be said that it will be g ... (read more)

Report this review (#47237) | Posted by braindamage | Monday, September 19, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR "First Generation (Scenes from 1969-1971)"