I PROPHESY DISASTER

Boxset/Compilation, released in 1993

1. Afterwards (4:57)
2. Necromancer (3:36)
3. Refugees (5:24)
4. The Boat of Millions of Years (3:50)
5. Lemmings(including Cog) (11:37)
6. W (4:26)
7. Arrow (9:46)
8. La Rossa (9:50)
9. Ship of Fools (3:46)
10. Medley (Parts of "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" and "The Sleepwalkers") (13:32)

Search VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR I Prophesy Disaster lyrics

Search VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR I Prophesy Disaster tabs

- Peter Hammill / vocals, guitars, keyboards
- Guy Evans / drums
- Hugh Banton / organ, bass pedals and guitar (No 1 to 8)
- David Jackson / saxes, flutes (No 1, 8, 10)
- Keith Ellis / bass (No 1, 2)
- Nic Poter / bass (No 3, 4)
- Graham Smith / violin (No 9, 10)
- Charles Dickie / cello, keyboards (No 10)

and to m@x for the last updates

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR I Prophesy Disaster Music

Remastered
Caroline 2005
H to He Who Am the Only OneH to He Who Am the Only One
Blue Plate Caroline 2005
Godbluff by Van der Graaf Generator (CD, Dec-2004, Blue Plate) US $8.99 [0 bids]
40m 15s
Van Der Graaf Generator LP H to He who am the only one! US $79.00 Buy It Now 2h 35m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR H to He When Am the Only One JAPAN LTD MINI LP CD SEALED US $29.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR LP The Aereosol Gray Machine ITALY only SWIRL VERTIGO US $115.00 Buy It Now 5h 10m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR First Generation (Scenes From 1969-1971) CD NEW US $12.63 Buy It Now 8h 13m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR An Introduction CD BRAND NEW US $15.81 Buy It Now 8h 16m
Van Der Graaf Generator H to He Holland Bright Blue Cover LP 70 Orig Prog Vinyl US $49.99 Buy It Now 9h 25m
Peter Hammill / Over Van Der Graaf Generator LP InsertáCharisma 9124 008 Holland US $19.99 Buy It Now 10h
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - THEME ONE 7" 45 RARE UK CHARISMA PROG ORIGINAL VINYL US $16.89 Buy It Now 10h 9m
The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other MINI LP Van Der Graaf Generator. NEW US $15.99 Buy It Now 10h 38m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR/PETER HAMMILL:Band Of Millions Of Years-Euro.LP Live PCV US $48.98 Buy It Now 10h 58m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR: Theme One 2:53-W 4:24-Germany 7" Philips 6073 311 PSL US $98.98 Buy It Now 11h
Van Der Graaf Generator - Real Time - FIXD01CD US $20.89 Buy It Now 11h 19m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-WORLD RECORD. VG+ VINYL MERCURY RECORDS. US $17.91 [0 bids]
PSYCH LP - VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - H TO HE WHO AM - 1970 - NETHERLANDS US $6.99 [1 bids]
PROG PSYCH LP - VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - STILL LIFE - 1976 - MERCURY US $6.99 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Repeat Performance ** orig. UK 1980 US $12.99 Buy It Now 15h 2m
Van Der Graaf Generator - Real Time-Live Royal Festival Hall [CD New] US $27.99 Buy It Now 15h 15m
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-A Grounding In Numbers-2011-NEW LP US $47.99 Buy It Now 15h 27m
Peter Hammill / A Black BoxáLP Van Der Graaf Generator áHolland Vinyl Pressá US $19.99 Buy It Now 16h 9m
Peter Hammill Love SongsáUK LP Van Der Graaf Generator áCharisma CAS 1166 US $24.99 Buy It Now 16h 20m
Van Der Graaf Generator / ReflectionáUnique German LP Prog áFontana 9286 002 US $22.99 Buy It Now 16h 31m
Van Der Graaf Generator / World RecordáUS 76 edited PROMO LP Mercury SRM-1 Prog US $69.99 Buy It Now 16h 39m
Van Der Graaf Generator Least We Can Do Is Wave Greek NEW LPáCharisma VG50151 US $39.99 Buy It Now 16h 42m
Van der Graaf Generator:4 Empty Promo Box [Japan Mini-LP no cd peter hammill QS US $251.75 Buy It Now 17h 18m
PETER HAMMILL 1986 skin LP prog synth VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR PROMO OOP rare! US $39.00 Buy It Now 20h 7m
Van Der Graaf Generator - World Record NEW CD US $10.24 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - BBC SESSIONS 1968-71 w/ PETER HAMMILL PROG ROCK SLD CD US $21.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Peter Hammill Fools Mate LP '72 philips charisma van der graaf generator fool's! US $39.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Van Der Graaf Generator - H To He Who Am The Onl NEW CD US $8.30 Buy It Now 1 day
Van Der Graaf Generator - The Aerosol Grey Machine - FIE9116 US $20.89 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - World Record; -Psych / Prog- LP - Peter Hammill - RARE US $69.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Van Der Graaf Generator(Vinyl LP)The Long Hello-UK-Ex/VG+ US $48.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Van Der Graaf Generator First Generation CD US $11.82 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - LEAST WE CAN DO IS WAVE TO EACH OTHER (IMPORT) NEW CD US $58.23 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - WORLD RECORD (IMPORT) (LTD) NEW CD US $58.23 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - H TO HE WHO AM THE ONLY ONE (IMPORT) (LTD) NEW CD US $58.23 Buy It Now 1 day
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - QUIET ZONE / PLEASURE DOME (IMPORT) (LTD) NEW CD US $58.23 Buy It Now 1 day
PETER HAMMILL the love songs CD Van der Graaf Generator US $10.99 [0 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator - H To He Who Am The Onl NEW CD US $10.55 Buy It Now 1 day
Peter Hammill / Vision Signed US LP Van Der Graaf Generator Import IMP 1016 US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Van der Graaf Generator David Jackson Guy Evans Hugh Banton Long Hello Italy LP US $44.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Van der Graaf Generator Japan 3 Mini LP CDs w/poster, bonus material Hammill US $69.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Long Hello Van Der Graaf Generator S/T LP 1st Private UKáDavid Jackson Guy Evans US $59.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Van Der Graaf Generator The Aerosol Grey Machine German Pressing 69' US $15.29 Buy It Now 1 day
PETER HAMMILL: THE FUTURE NOW + ENTER K * 2 LPs ENGLAND *VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR US $11.99 [0 bids]
Still Life by Van der Graaf Generator (CD, Dec-2004, Blue Plate) US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Peter Hammill Black Box Van Der Graaf GeneratoráOriginal S-Type Records Vinyl LP US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Van der Graaf Generator - H to He Who am the Only One (2005 Virgin EMI remaster) US $11.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Van der Graaf Generator - Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome (2005) JAPANESE SEALED US $15.13 [1 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator / H to HeáRare US LPáABC/Dunhill Records DS-50097 US $69.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator / Vital Live 2 LPáUS PVC Records PVC 9901 Gatefold Prog US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Grounding In Numbers LP NEW US $33.72 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator Repeat PerformanceáItaly Charisma LPáCharisma 9279 537 US $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR WORLD RECORD 1976 CHARISMA LP US $33.10 Buy It Now 2 days
Peter Hammill SkináLP áBuelax Music 10.003-0Argentina Van Der Graaf Generator US $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator (Nic Potter & Guy Evans,The Long Hello - Volume Two,LP US $27.87 Buy It Now 2 days
Peter Hammill / SkináGreek LP Van Der Graaf Generator SealedáVirgin VG 50174 US $39.99 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR the last we can do is wave to each other 1970- UK-EX++ US $16.89 [1 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator PAWN HEARTS 180g AUDIOPHILE New GATEFOLD Vinyl LP US $17.99 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - the BOX 4CD RARE BBC, live & rematsrered US $129.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Sam Gopal/Graham Bond/Van Der Graaf Generator Marquee Club January 1970 Flyer US $152.13 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator H TO HE WHO AM THE ONLY ONE 180g AUDIOPHILE New VINYL LP US $17.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator THE LEAST WE CAN DO IS WAVE TO EACH OTHER New VINYL LP US $17.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator - H To He Who Am The Only One [Vinyl New] US $21.19 Buy It Now 2 days
Nic Potter Sketches In Sound CD NEW SEALED 2009 Van Der Graaf Generator US $10.12 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR H to He, Who am the Only One 7 track CD SEALED US $10.75 Buy It Now 2 days
Van Der Graaf Generator Godbluff Sealed Stereo 8-Track tape prog psych NOS new US $11.19 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR 2 lp VITAL LIVE PVC US $15.99 Buy It Now 2 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR lp STILL LIFE UK CHARISMA CAS 1116 US $39.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Van der Graaf Generator:Peter Hammill:Fool's Mate Japan CD Mini-LP VJCP-68760 SS US $128.25 Buy It Now 2 days
Now and Then by Van der Graaf Generator (CD, Sep-2009, Eastworld (UK)) US $3.77 [0 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator The Least We Can Do is Wave to each other LP Cas 1007 UK US $11.00 [0 bids]
PETER HAMMILL Fool's Mate LP Prog Rock DUTCH Charisma, x-Van Der Graaf Generator US $12.99 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Montreal 77 LP Rare live US $49.99 [0 bids]
Van Der Graaf Generator Still Life Japan CD VJD-28085 US $9.99 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Present Double CD NEW & SEALED US $13.44 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - THE QUIET ZONE / THE PLEASURE DOME JAPAN MINI LP CD US $33.79 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator, H to He Who am the Only One ABC Dunhill DS-50097 Prog. US $14.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator, Time Vaults, Demi Monde 003 Prog. US $33.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator, The Quiet Zone, Charisma CAS 1131, insert US $22.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator, Godbluff, 1975 Charisma CHC 13 Prog. UK US $22.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator,World Record, 1976 Charisma Germany 9124001 US $54.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator,68 - 71 1972 Famous Charisma UK, CS 2 US $49.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator, Repert Performance, 1980 Charisma UK, BG.3 US $22.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator, Still Life, 1976 Charisma UK, CAS 1116 US $26.00 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR Palm Hearts LP EX vinyl Peter Hammill Prog US $7.49 [1 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-PAWN HEARTS-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G00 US $31.50 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-STILL LIFE-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G00 US $31.50 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-GODBLUFF-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G00 US $31.50 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-WORLD RECORD-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G00 US $31.50 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-H TO HE WHO AM THE ONLY ONE-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G00 US $31.50 Buy It Now 3 days
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR - THE AEROSOL GREY MACHINE LP Reissue US $16.99 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR-THE LEAST WE CAN DO IS WAVE TO~-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G00 US $31.50 Buy It Now 3 days
Van der Graaf Generator - World Record Japan Mini LP Sleeve CD NEW US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Van der Graaf Generator - Vital Van der Graaf Live Japan Mini LP Sleeve CD NEW US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Van der Graaf Generator Quiet Zone/Pleasure Dome Japan Mini LP Sleeve CD NEW US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Peter Hammill - Thin Air - CD 2009 LIKE NEW (VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR) US $7.89 [0 bids]
VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR The Aerosol Grey Machine Reissue Vinyl LP NEW US $35.48 Buy It Now 3 days
Van Der Graaf Generator - Live at Metropolis Studios London (2CD US $24.14 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR music online Buy VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR I Prophesy Disaster ratings distribution

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR I Prophesy Disaster reviews

Review by Andrea Cortese
3 stars My introduction to the VDGG's world! I immidiately enjoyed Refugees very much, I was pleased by Necromancer and Afterwards then.... impressed by Arrow and La Rossa!! In the first moment these last two have disturbated my musical awareness a lot! But something strange started to gnaw my mind...it was the discovery of that further concept of music!

"...west is where all will someday ends..."

P.s. great compilation because of the rare tracks. But with the new 2005 stunning VDGG's remasters it lacks in importance!

Send comments to Andrea Cortese (BETA) | Report this review (#44349) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 26, 2005

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
3 stars Maybe VDGG was just waiting for its real breakthrough in my musical history in '96 ('Plague' had impressed me already in '89 in a radio series on prog), but borrowing this compilation launched it anyway. Firstly, 'Lemmings' that I had 5 years earlier unsuccessfully tried to get into now simply amazed me ("what choice is there left but to try..." Goosebimples!), and I loved to catch again the rarity 'The Boat of Millions of Years' of which radio taping I had lost long ago.

The CD starts with two fantastic outtakes from the debut Aerosol Grey Machine: the whole album was a disappointment to me later that year, but 'Afterwards' is one of the finest soft & straight pop songs by Hammill, and 'Necromancer' has magic to match its name. Fresh, emotional ballad 'Refugees' (from Least We Can Do...) has nearly embarrassingly high thin vocals but is one of the best known VDGG songs.

'Arrow' was my introduction to Godbluff album: it has that manic singing style close to terrified screaming that I had disliked in Hammill (and partly still do), but to this thrilling piece it suits gorgeosly. David Jackson's unique saxophone playing shines here. 'W' is a low- key song with interesting lyrics - wait a minute, Hammill's lyrics are ALWAYS interesting, but this time they keep the song from being just boring.

'La Rossa' is the key(?) track from Still Life, aching with sore emotions. But nearing ten minutes, I don't consider it among the best long VDGG tracks. The closing track (from the live album Vital) combines parts of 'Plague' and 'Sleepwalkers' but I prefer studio versions of both: this is somehow blurry and has lost the deep atmosphere of 'Plague'.

Probably this compilation works well as an introduction to VDGG's world as it covers many periods and styles, but I'd rather recommend their originals to grace your prog collection (the new editions even have the rare tracks too).

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#80446) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars The third VDGG compilation in a row. This one covers the period from "The Aerosol Grey Machine" to "The Quiet Zone". Quite difficult to summarize on one CD. As for the previous two compils, I will compile this review as well, taking excerpts of my reviews for each individual album.

We get two numbers from their first release : "Afterwards" sounds a bit psychedelic but na´ve. Peter's voice is already the one we all know. Quite in the mood of the era I must say. This song announces great ones like "Refugees". Good piano from Banton. This is a nice, relaxing song (VDGG will not produce a lot of this type throughout the years).

I'm not that found of "Necromancer" : this is a very bizarre track with scary lyrics (as Peter will write an awful lot - I wonder where he got such a dark inspiration, although ...). The Necromancer says : "I live in the black woods, where you dare not even Speak my name, If there is evil in your heart and you will come near to me, You will lose your sane". There will be a better version available in "The Box".

Two other ones from "The Least..." sessions : "Refugees" and "The Boat" (a studio leftover). "Regugees" was already present on "First Generation". Since it is my preferred VDGG one I will not complain.

Two from the "Pawn Hearts" sessions : "Lemmings". Do you know these animals that follow each other until they fall into the precipice and die ? Peter will start the song in this way :

"I stood alone upon the highest cliff-top, looked down, around, and all that I could see were those that I would dearly love to share with crashing on quite blindly to the sea..." and "What course is there left but to die ?". We are again into the darkest themes in which death is very welcome.

This song is average. Not very powerful (at times very, very quiet : like KC in "Moonchild"), somewhat jam-oriented and jazzy. A bit disappointing. Second one is : "W" (another studio leftover).

"Arrow" from "Godbluff" : is a very complex song, wild at times and difficult to enter into. Great drumming from Evans and very strong sax from Dave (this guy is really great). This is the most reminiscent track of their first era.

"La Rossa"from "Still Life" : is a more classic VDGG, harder and darker with a very powerful band supporting Peter. It is the first song in which he seems tortured as he used to be. More keys than usual and Jackson more in a background mode (but this is valid for the whole of "Still Life"). It works pretty well, though. The finale is extremely powerful : the band being really strong. A great track but the less accessible of the album.

One song from "The Quiet Zone" sessions ("Ship Of Fools" - the third leftover here). Then the live Medley "A Plague..." from their "Vital" effort.

As you have noticed, except "Refugees" which is IMO the best VDGG song (and one of the most emotional all time, all genres) the track selection is not so rich as in both "Generation" efforts. They could have added songs as "White Hammer" or "After The Flood" from "The Least..." as well as "House With No Door", "The Emperor" for "Lost" form "H To He"to replace existing ones.

I would not highly recommend to buy this one (I did not - just compile it from their original catalogue). Not that it is a bad album, but the occasional fan for which this has been released should better stick to the very good "Scenes From First and Second Generation".

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#108595) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars Good Introduction of VdGG to Newbies

This is a classic band which I had not paid enough attention with for quite long until I found their "Still Life" album. I knew that the band was great & unique in which they tried to replace the wild and distorted sounds of electric guitar with Hammond organ. Wow! What a fabulous idea, don't you think? They proved to be successful with their musical philosophy and approach. The sound of organ not just make a replacement of guitar but it then became the trademark of Van der Graaf music in addition to Hammil s voice.

As the CD sleeve puts it, this compilation is complimentary to previous Virgin s compilation under First Generation and Second Generation titles - as an alternative for newbie on VdGG music. It starts from the band s initial effort Afterwards which appeared in the band s debut album "The Aerosol Grey Machine" in 1969. The opening track blends nicely poetry, music and unique vocal quality. This song represents the era where at late sixties the psychedelic music swept the pop music in UK with bands like "Pink Floyd" under Syd Barett era. The sound of piano makes it so clear. It flows to Necromancer from the same album. Each song provided here represents the music of its era. My favorites include "Arrow", "La Rossa", and "Ship of Fools".

The key of VdGG music is probably the emotional and theatrical voice of Peter Hammil, combined beautifully with soaring and jaw-dropping work of Hammond organ played skillfully by Hugh Banton and dynamic sax work by David Jackson. Look at "Ship of Fools" which I think it's the best track of this compilation. The way Hammil sings at the opening part is truly awesome because he can wonderfully combine his baritone voice and tenor at the same time. It's not just that! He can bring his voice with great accentuation and nice flow combining high and low points skillfully. This track is the best to demonstrate Hammil's vocal virtuosity. Banton provides his shots beautifully throughout the song through making fills as well as providing rhythm section when Hammil sings. David Jackson's role is more on providing harmonies with organ as well as music fills with his sax work. I also love how drum is being performed in this track.

Overall, I would say that this compilation serves its purposes for introduction to VdGG for newbies as well as a summary of VdGG musical journey for die hard fans of VdGG. Because the content stems from the band s initial efforts and various eras, please get prepared with differing sonic quality from one track to another. It is typical in any compilation CD, isnt it? Keep on proggin ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#132341) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars A Van der Graaf Generator compilation is never a bad thing as the band had so much to offer and choose from to fill up an album. I sat down with this compilation simply to hear all these tracks compiled in a different way than the album releases and to re-familiarise myself with some of the lesser known tracks. The first thing one notices is the almost maddening patience the band has as it introduces each of the tracks. But there are always moments of brilliance with each track as the pace ranges from slow to breakneck, and the time signatures change throughout, not only with the instruments but with Hammill's incredible vocal delivery. It is pleasant to listen to these cuts taken from the classic albums such as the choices from the debut 'Afterwards,' and 'Necromancer' that demonstrate the innovation in the early years.

'Refugees' is a treasure from "The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other", though I definitely prefer the brilliant 'Darkness (11/11). 'The Boat of Millions of Years' was a rarity until its release as a bonus track on the remaster of the aforementioned album.

We move then to some tracks from the masterpiece "Pawn Hearts", including genius composition 'Lemmings (including Cog)'. Here, it is easy to see why this band are musical pioneers and boundary pushing visionaries. The track begins innocently enough, "I stood alone upon the highest cliff-top, looked down around and all I could see were those that I would dearly love to share with crashing on quite blindly to the sea." David Jackson's saxophone soon turns it up a notch and we are treated with the maelstrom of sound and verbal music psychosis that is quintessential VDGG. 'W' follows that is a track that never made it to the album but it is nice to hear it here.

"Godbluff" is well presented by the dark, brooding menace of 'Arrow'. Hammill's vocals are more tortured and raspy on this track and are a surprising contrast to the smoothness on the other tracks. The track begins with a percussion and saxophone improvisation that reminds one of the early King Crimson years. The track relies highly on saxophone and Hammond but the understatement of the bass is admirable and knits it all together perfectly.

'La Rossa' is one of the gems from "Still Life", a wonderful composition with an antithesis of intense atmospheres and entrancing beauty; Hammill absolutely blasting out with an emotive delivery. Jackson is a revelation on sax and the organ grinds powerfully throughout, along the drums and bass motifs. This track is truly a wonderful foray into the dark netherworld of VDGG. Ear splitting vocals and ambient keyboards are the order of the day and Hammill is a master of the insightful existential lyric. This is him at his existential best as he indulges in caterwauling along genuinely off kilter melodic jazz dissonance.

'Ship of Fools' was an unreleased single but now represents the bonus track from the remastered "The Quiet Zone/ The Pleasure Dome" with raucous servings of heavy guitar, and intense vocals full of angst and rage. It is perhaps the heaviest that the band gets, and shows a new direction that the band took during this era of 1977.

'Medley (Parts of "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" and "The Sleepwalkers")' is the 13:32 treasure from the live "Vital". I always loved this version from the live performance and at least this compilation does include some of the ingenious "Pawn Hearts" epic. It is not as good as the epic of course but still nice to revel in. The way it segues into "Godbluff"'s 'The Sleepwalkers' is a stroke of genius and again it is great to hear those quirky melodies again. It begins softly and then launches into the maelstrom of sound and verbal music psychosis that is VDGG. The Hammond and sax take us deeper into the abyss and VDGG really let loose with wild staccato riffs and a monstrous finale where everything just explodes into a paroxysm of uncontrolled mayhem. It's a killer track and moves from romanticism with piano elegy only to explode into a doom-laden soundwave with wild saxophones screaming over unfriendly sounds such as Dickie's keyboards and Guy Evan's off-kilter percussion. Potter's bass is booming on this live album and is one of the real drawcards to hearing the whole concert. 'A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers' was the first track I had heard from this amazing band that tells the story of an eyewitness who sees the unspeakable as he feels his body fading in a storm while voyaging on a doomed ship; It reminds one of Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner. 'The Sleepwalkers' is zombies rising from their sleep to wreak terror upon the unwary; both work together as a grande guignol visceral excursion into the macabre.

Overall, this is a terrific compilation but is missing some of the indispensable VDGG tracks. I like the way it features unreleased tracks at the time and still retains some of the masterful tracks that made this band such wonderful progressive legends. There is nothing new to offer those who own the VDGG remastered CDs but still is better than the average VDGG compilations as it features all of the years to the present date of release; from debut to "Vital".

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#865012) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 23, 2012

4 stars I think that this compilation is a good compilation but I am not secure that 'I Prophesy Disaster' be indicated for a newbie. Certainly this compilation present three moments of great importance: 'Refugees' that is better in this single version that in album version, 'The Boat Of Millions Of ... (read more)

Report this review (#221217) | Posted by 1967/ 1976 | Sunday, June 14, 2009 | Review Permanlink

2 stars This collects together some of the more difficult to obtain singles and tracks although most fans will probably have all this material in any case. This compilation seems to lose direction half way through and adds tracks from the end of their career to tracks from the beginning in this sense ... (read more)

Report this review (#92036) | Posted by burgersoft777 | Tuesday, September 26, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Work announced in 1993 "I Prophesy Disaster". It is glad that the tune of the single is collected. As for "Refugees", the arrangement such as the fade Inns and magnificent strings and cembalos is different. "The Boat Of Millions Of Years" was collected to CD for the first time. Good, but non-e ... (read more)

Report this review (#47242) | Posted by braindamage | Monday, September 19, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars My introductionary VDGG album. I recommend it highly for anyone who just wants to check out the band for possible further listening. It showcases the band well and it also has the rare "W", probably my favourite VDGG song ever (I find it similar to King Crimson's "I Talk To The Wind") ... (read more)

Report this review (#8072) | Posted by | Monday, April 12, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR "I Prophesy Disaster"