GIVEN TO THE RISING

4. At the End of the Road
5. Shadow
6. Hidden Faces
7. Water is Not Enough
8. Distill (Watching the Swarm)
9. Nine

- Steve Von Till / guitars,vocals
- Dave Edwardson / bass
- Noah Landis / keyboards,samples
- Jason Roeder / drums

CD Neurot Recordings (2007)

Thanks to TheProgtologist for the addition

NEUROSIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Purify Through Silver In Blood, 1996

Pain of MindPain of Mind
Neurot Recordings 2000
Souls at ZeroSouls at Zero
Neurot Recordings 1999
STARCHITECT No CD Post Metal Sludge Isis Pelican Mouth Of The Architect Neurosis US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 42m
SUNN O))) - LA REH 012 Vinyl LP Ltd SEALED (neurosis sleep isis mastodon boris) US $72.90 Buy It Now 3h 10m
Converge - Petitioning Forever 2xLP Black/White Doomriders Botch Isis Neurosis US $32.00 Buy It Now 5h 4m
Converge 2010 Tour Poster Oz Concert RARE (neurosis isis dillinger escape plan) US $11.44 Buy It Now 5h 44m
Given to the Rising [Limited Edition] [Limited] by Neurosis (CD, May-2007, Ne... US $11.89 Buy It Now 7h 39m
The Forgiven Ghost in Me by Scott Kelly & the Road Home CD Neurosis Member Solo! US $12.99 Buy It Now 7h 41m
Converge:No Heroes BROWN/WHITE VINYL LP,Bane,Neurosis,The Hope Conspiracy US $39.99 [0 bids]
Drowningman:Rock And Roll Killing MachineLP,Bane,Neurosis,The Hope Conspiracy US $9.99 [0 bids]
Neurosis - Live At Stockholm [CD New] US $13.81 Buy It Now 8h 31m
Neurosis - Honor Found In Decay [CD New] US $13.61 Buy It Now 8h 39m
HORSEBACK Half Blood NEW LP Brown LTD Neurosis Mastodon Wovenhand Locrian US $19.99 Buy It Now 11h 53m
Neurosis Guitar Tab Software Lesson CD + FREE BONUSES US $8.06 Buy It Now 12h 12m
THE ENDLESS BLOCKADE / UNEARTHLY TRANCE split LP melvins rare neurosis midnight US $8.99 [0 bids]
CONTAMINATED 3.0 CD 2 Disc Set 2000 Bongzilla Pig Destroyer Exhumed Neurosis US $4.99 [0 bids]
Neurosis The Eye of Every Storm CD, 2004 Neurot Recordings Used US $7.99 [0 bids]
Humanfly S/T+Queen of Knives split LP ISIS Neurosis White Hills Carlton Melton US $14.99 [0 bids]
The Catalyst Voyager Vinyl LP OOP!!! Converge Mastodon Baroness Melvins Neurosis US $14.99 Buy It Now 13h 44m
Neurosis "Aberration EP" 7" VG+ Orig Converge Sleep Red Sparrowes US $34.99 Buy It Now 13h 57m
Neurosis - Honor Found in Decay [ LP, 180gm Orange Vinyl, Relapse Records, NEW ] US $39.99 Buy It Now 14h 12m
NEUROSIS**HONOR FOUND IN DECAY (GATEFOLD)**2 VINYL SET US $28.95 Buy It Now 14h 52m
GORGUTS Colored Sands 2 LP ORANGE VINYL TOUR PRESS /500 death carcass neurosis US $39.99 Buy It Now 17h 14m
A Sun That Never Sets - Neurosis New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $18.29 Buy It Now 17h 35m
Grimple "Get Me Out Of My Van" 7" VG+ Orig Neurosis Green Day Operation Ivy US $39.99 Buy It Now 19h 42m
Neurosis - Honor Found In Decay 2 x LP NEW Black Vinyl US $39.99 Buy It Now 20h 7m
BARONESS - Second 2005 Hyperrealist ORG OOP megarare isis mastodon neurosis US $19.99 [0 bids]
BARONESS - First 2004 Hyperrealist ORG OOP megarare isis mastodo US $19.99 [0 bids]
RWAKE rest 2xLP SEALED 180G melvins neurosis thou mastodon salome om uncle acid US $21.99 [0 bids]
NEUROSIS (Colombia) - En vivo Medellín DEATHROW BLOOD FEAST MORBID SAINT US $3.99 [0 bids]
NEUROSIS - Sovereign Promo CD Enhanced MFN 1st press RARE!!! US $27.80 Buy It Now 1 day
Generation of Vipers Vinyl LP Heavy Metal, Sludge, Neurosis, Isis 12" LTD 500 US $14.00 Buy It Now 1 day
BLOOD OF THE BLACK OWL A Feral Spirit CD shamanic avant doom thergothon neurosis US $11.98 Buy It Now 1 day
SPECTRUM ALE Sampler CD Amorphis Neurosis Mortician Blood Duster Mindrot Exit-13 US $3.99 [0 bids]
OzzFest, Vol. 1: Live CD fear factory NEUROSIS biohazard SLAYER sepultura OZZY US $0.99 [0 bids]
Ozzfest: Second Stage Live 2 CD SET KITTIE soulfly DISTURBED neurosis SEPULTURA US $0.99 [0 bids]
HIGH ON FIRE - Death Is This Communion vinyl LP Sleep Mastodon Neurosis Sunn Om US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Ghost Brigade-Until Fear No Longer Defines Us lp Neurosis Isis Kylesa Mastodon US $28.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Tribes Of Neurot Live At Beyond The Pale 2001 CD Neurosis US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NEUROSIS Aberration EP 7' RARE US HC LookOut Records US $80.65 Buy It Now 1 day
Red Sparowes "Every Red Heart" 2x LP OOP Isis Neurosis Pelican US $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
High On Fire "The Art of Self Defense" LP+7" Tee Pee Sleep Neurosis Baroness US $30.00 [0 bids]
Neurosis, Sovereign Audio CD US $18.38 Buy It Now 1 day
Party Boys "No Aggro" LP RARE MINT OOP Throbbing Gristle SWANS Oxbow Neurosis US $14.99 [0 bids]
Various Artists - CONTAMINATED 4.0 Relapse Promo CD Neurosis Amorphis Deceased US $2.99 [0 bids]
Blood And Time Latitudes Clear Vinyl Neurosis Scott Kelly & US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Neurosis : Given to the Rising: Limited Edition CD (2007) US $9.66 Buy It Now 2 days
Neurosis - Live At Stockholm CD US $20.54 Buy It Now 2 days
MERZBOW 13 Japanese Birds Part Four CD Neurosis Swans Boredoms / Important 2009 US $20.97 Buy It Now 2 days
The Yard Apes Neurosis 1994 Kansas City Alt-Rock 7" Y-Tel Records US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Times of Grace - Neurosis New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $18.29 Buy It Now 2 days
Through Silver in Blood - Neurosis New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $18.29 Buy It Now 2 days
ISIS - SGNL 05 CD "the band" NEUROSIS GODFLESH SCORN ROCK METAL US $10.00 [0 bids]
ISIS - THE RED SEA cd NEUROSIS GODFLESH CAVE-IN BOTCH CONVERGE METAL ROCK US $10.00 [0 bids]
Mouth Of The Architect Kenoma CD Lot Time & Withering Split Rosetta Neurosis US $9.00 [0 bids]
ISIS - CELETIAL cd GODFLESH NEUROSIS CAVE-IN CONVERGE BOTCH METAL ROCK PUNK US $10.00 [0 bids]
Neurosis & Jarboe by Neurosis (CD, Oct-2003, Neurot Recordings) NR028 US $21.59 Buy It Now 2 days
RELAPSE/RYKOMUSIC PROMO CD-MORTICIAN-CONVERGE-AMORPHIS-NEUROSIS-TODAY IS THE DAY US $3.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Eve by Ufomammut vinyl Used Mint Electric Wizard, Neurosis, Ramesses, Yob, Lento US $14.99 [0 bids]
NEUROSIS**LIVE AT ROADBURN 2007**CD US $16.09 Buy It Now 2 days
NEUROSIS**GIVEN TO THE RISING**CD US $16.09 Buy It Now 2 days
Red Sparowes "At the Soundless Dawn" 2x LP OOP /500 Swamp Isis Neurosis Pelican US $54.99 Buy It Now 2 days
NEUROSIS Enemy Of The Sun LP 1993 original press in shrink w/ insert Godflesh US $19.99 [1 bids]
SUBLIMINAL NEUROSIS-END/STOP NEUROTIC BELIEFS THOUGHTS-BRAINWAVE MIND TECHNOLOGY US $11.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Mastodon NEW Sealed 9LP Vinyl Box Set Rare Isis Slayer Neurosis Relapse /1000 US $420.00 Buy It Now 2 days
NEUROSIS-ENEMY OF THE SUN Original Release 1993 ALTERNATIVE TENTACLES! NEW US $12.00 Buy It Now 2 days
VIRUS 100 DEAD KENNEDYS CD-FAITH NO MORE-NAPALM DEATH-NEUROSIS-SEPULTURA L7-RARE US $7.99 [0 bids]
Neurosis Aberration Ep 7" 1st Press Isis Pelican Sleep Melvins US $14.99 [0 bids]
Given to the Rising by Neurosis *New CD* US $13.74 Buy It Now 2 days
NEUROSIS oxbow ISIS zeni geva LOTUS EATERS house of low culture NEUROT CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 3 days
CONQUEST FOR DEATH CFD armageddon CD MINT what happens next neurosis mitb spazz US $8.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MALACHI siege of power CD SEALED neurosis mitb doom hardcore conquest for death US $8.99 Buy It Now 3 days
THE MOTH GATHERER A Bright Celestial Light CULT OF LUNA NEUROSIS BREACH ISIS US $15.00 Buy It Now 3 days
NEUROSIS ~'TIMES OF GRACE'~ Rare PROMO Only CD 1999~HARDCORE DOOM METAL US $24.18 Buy It Now 3 days
NEUROSIS - THE EYE OF EVERY STORM [NEUROSIS] - NEW CD US $17.11 Buy It Now 3 days
Windhand Soma Green W Orange Splatter 300 electric wizard neurosis Boris US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
USNEA Random Cosmic Violence 2LP LTD Blue/White NEW Yob Pallbearer Neurosis US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
USNEA Random Cosmic Violence 2LP Black NEW Yob Pallbearer Neurosis US $22.99 Buy It Now 3 days
USNEA Random Cosmic Violence NEW CD Digipak Yob Pallbearer Neurosis Relapse US $10.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ISIS * The Mosquito Control EP CD 1998 1st press like new * Neurosis Eyehategod US $25.99 [0 bids]
DAMAD Burning Cold CD * like new * Converge Coalesce Unsane Meatjack Neurosis US $21.99 [0 bids]
DAMAD Rise and Fall CD * like new * Converge Coalesce Unsane Meatjack Neurosis US $21.99 [0 bids]
CULT OF LUNA s/t self titled CD excellent ** Breach Isis Neurosis Crowbar US $11.99 [0 bids]
MEATJACK / DAMAD split CD * Buzzoven Coalesce Unsane Isis Crowbar Neurosis Jesu US $19.99 [0 bids]
MEATJACK "Trust" CD * Coalesce Converge Isis Neurosis Buzzoven Crowbar Godflesh US $21.99 [0 bids]
STENY LDA 2010 Steny Lda CD Post Metal Sludge Isis Pelican Walls Of Ice Neurosis US $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Grails Shirt Om Neurosis Sleep Godspeed You Black Emperor US $9.66 [0 bids]
WALK THROUGH FIRE: Furthest From Heaven CD Sludge Doom Amebix Eibon Neurosis US $3.99 [0 bids]
HORSEBACK A Plague Of Knowing 3CD Neil Young Neurosis Relapse Folk Metal OEM US $20.99 Buy It Now 3 days
PELICAN HAZE LP HYDRA HEAD BOTCH NEUROSIS MELVINS RARE RSD Record Store Day US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Yeono - Neurosis [CD New] US $19.58 Buy It Now 3 days
NEUROSIS - GIVEN TO THE RISING NEW CD US $22.88 Buy It Now 3 days
Times of Grace by Neurosis (CD, Jan-2006, Relapse Records (USA)) US $8.79 Buy It Now 3 days
A Sun That Never Sets by Neurosis (CD, Oct-2005, Relapse Records (USA)) US $8.79 Buy It Now 3 days
STATE OF THE UNION - To the bitter end...a discography CD Dystopia Neurosis US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Includes Shipping New Sealed Neurosis Honor found in Decay Deluxe ed lmtd cd US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
CROW TONGUE Ghost Eye Seeker CD doomed psychedelic folkdrone OM Pelt neurosis US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Neurosis Times Of Grace promo CD Relapse US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Kicker Not You Vinyl LP Record, Poster & MP3 NEUROSIS & DYSTOPIA crust punk NEW! US $17.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Pain of Mind by Neurosis (CD, Oct-2000, 2 Discs, neurot recordings US $16.00 Buy It Now 3 days
The Golem HobGoblin Soundtrack 2 CD set Sacrilege BC Neurosis Skinlab Testament US $10.00 Buy It Now 3 days
NEUROSIS - THROUGH SILVER IN BLOOD NEW CD US $17.46 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy NEUROSIS music online Buy NEUROSIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NEUROSIS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NEUROSIS Given to the Rising ratings distribution

NEUROSIS Given to the Rising reviews

3 stars As much as I love heavy, dark music I found this one a tough one to get into. This is one creepy, atmospheric and intense record.The vocals really reminded me of the way Eddie Vedder screams on some of the songs on the "Vs." record. This guys vocals are deeper though.

"Given To The Rising" opens with a dark, heavy and doom-like soundscape.The vocalist screams out the words. 1 1/2 minutes in the sound mellows out with reserved vocals, but it doesn't last for long. This contrast continues.The tempo speeds up 7 minutes in with some good guitar. Great section. "Fear And Sickness" takes a minute to get going and the direction we're going is sludgey, heavy and slow. The drums pound steadily. "To The Wind" has a fantastic 2 minute intro, as the guitar is picked slowly in the Post-Rock style. It comes back later. We get some creepy spoken words 4 1/2 minutes that eventually sound like a death rattle as he gurgles "To the wind". "At The End Of The Road" has little going on for 3 minutes as we get a creepy, atmospheric mood. Then the vocalist moans out the words. The song finally kicks in at the 5 minute mark as he spits out the words in anger. "Shadow" starts again slowly for a minute and a minute after that we are kicking !

"Hidden Faces" is my favourite. It opens with guitar feedback and sounds and then drums come in. It gets heavy 2 minutes in, as this is one of the best sections instrumentally. By the time "Water Is Not Enough" comes along the vocals are getting a little tiresome. There is a welcomed instrumental interlude with lots of atmosphere.The drums and bass sound great 5 minutes in. It has a spooky ending. "Distill (Watching The Swarm)" has a slower pace until 1 1/2 minutes in we have a real rocker on our hands.3 1/2 mintes in we're crawling along. Not anymore ! We get a long calm passage until he cries out "Distill !". "Nine" has a similar beginning (lots of atmosphere and no melody) as a lot of the songs, but this time it continues through the whole tune. "Origin" features slowly pounding drums that are joined by spoken words 3 minutes in.Guitar comes in about a minute later. Drums stop 8 minutes in as we can only hear guitar until 9 minutes in he screams "I shatter !" as the whole band joins in.

I can see why some would give this a five star rating, but for me 3.5 stars is just right.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#135009) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 26, 2007

Review by Dim
2 stars Well, now that I have another Neurosis album to compare this one to, I think it's time I reviewed this one. I was pretty excited to pop it in 4 months ago, ready for my first encounter with post metal behind City of echoes. I was disappointed. I thought the recording quality sucked, the drumming sucked, and the line after line of barely eeking out a syllable sucked. Now that I have become very well rounded and am very knowledgeable in the field of post metal... I still don't like it. I like the recording quality now, I like the primitive yet completely filling drum beats, but the vocals, all the songs are the same 4 line grunts that still lack appeal.

The experimental quality in through silver in blood is gone, though the same bombastic Tool-Esq power chords are to climax the song, there is no more feel of rage, or a sense of doom among the album. More poetic that TSIB, it concentrates heavily on the lyrics, and less on creating a mood, or setting a tone. If the lyrics weren't line after line grunted the way they are that would be fine, bu t I just cant stand it. Whats more, along with the increase of vocals, there is shorter songs, and the few longer songs are still JUST dominated by singing, except the opener, which I do enjoy much. After a few unsatisfied listens, I began to pick out the music underneath the singing, it melts together quite nice. Neurosis, the post metal band well known for there hardcore traits disguised them very nicely in the music of the album, mostly just drop D, muddy power chords and lots of crazy experimental drum beats, and it works.

Even after picking out some of the more listenable parts, getting all the way through this album is a chore for me. I'm not the biggest Neurosis fan, but apparently I'm not getting something that a lot of people are, and that's okay, it's just a matter of tolerance. I for one have very little for lots of grunting and little music. I will continue to invest time and money in this band for my liking in TSIB, and what I've been told, Given to the rising is a huge change from any other neurosis album. 2 stars.

Send comments to Dim (BETA) | Report this review (#157198) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 30, 2007

Review by The T
4 stars Finally, my first satisfactory post-metal experience has arrived.

NEUROSIS' Given to the Rising is the first album in this genre that I can say I truly enjoy. I've had past experience with repetitive releases by ISIS, AGALLOCH, PELICAN, and even that post-like "avant-garde" thing that was KAYO DOT, and not one of them really got into me. With this disc, that has changed.

NEUROSIS' music is dark, very dark, ultra-dark, like a barren wasteland in the middle of nowhere (probably in the outskirts of hell) with little or no light and just dead creatures and vultures flying around. Such a heavy, gloomy atmosphere as this album conveys is hard to forget.

Much has been said about the recording. The drums are in-your-face and barely produced at all (they sound big, empty. Many people dislike the sound but I think it adds to the atmosphere; ultra- produced-slick drums a la DREAM THEATER or PORCUPINE TREE would've hurt the effect the music is trying to provoke: that of desolation, fatality, death. This is music meant to be under-produced. The rest of the instruments sound equally raw, but it's the drums that really stand out for their "boxiness".

The drum-playing has also been criticized. This is another case where I happen to disagree. Yes, it's no jazzy playing, it's not full of finesse or ghost notes or syncopations or anything. But it's very, very effective. The big, troll-like fills actually manage to do that, they fill the space and add to the depressive atmosphere.

I've read comments about the lack of experimentation in this album. I have to confess that I haven't heard more NEUROSIS, so maybe I'm missing on a lot. But if I compare this to other post-metal discs I've listened to, yes, there IS less experimentation, but there's also more song-writing, more coherent structures, more discernable patterns, more music. I much rather hear the simpler songs in this album that the "complex" noises in KAYO DOT, to name an example (I know, it's "avant-garde"... even worse in that case). I don't see in this album the same love for mind-numbing repetition that plagues most post-metal albums. I hear balance, equilibrium. I like it.

A very good album, I almost felt inclined to give it a 5. But I think this music can still grow and be better. Maybe NEUROSIS has already done that. So now it's a good time for me to check on their prior releases.

Recommended for: Post-metal fans, fans of dark, obscure, atmospheric, slow metal.

Send comments to The T (BETA) | Report this review (#158362) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 11, 2008

Review by UMUR
3 stars Given to the Rising is the 10th full-length studio album by US, California based experimental/ post metal act Neurosis. Iīve been reviewing Neurosis albums from an end over the last couple of years and as a consequence become quite the fan of their dark heavy post metal style. The last three releases by the band A Sun That Never Sets (2001), Neurosis & Jarboe (2003) and The Eye Of Every Storm (2004) have seen the band flirting more and more with post rock elements and clean vocals and allthough all three albums are greatly enjoyable in their own right I have to admit that I miss the relentless aggression of the bandīs mid- to late nineties albums. Especially the caustic vocal delivery on Through Silver in Blood (1996) and Times of Grace (1999). Well...times change.

Given to the Rising isnīt a further move into softer post rock territories and a big hell yeah for that. Rather itīs somewhat a return to more aggressive styled raw vocals and heavy riffs. Take it with a grain of salt though as Given to the Rising doesnīt reach the hights of neither Through Silver in Blood nor Times of Grace when it comes to aggression or heavy delivery. The style on Given to the Rising is more a mix of the older aggressive side of the bandīs sound and the more recent softer side too. Make no mistake though a Neurosis album is always an extremely heavy and bleak affair. Crushingly heavy guitar riffs, Scott Kellyīs angry vocals, the atmosphere creating sounds by Noah Landis and the excellent rythm section of drummer Jason Roeder and bassist Dave Edwardson. All the parts are there for another great album by Neurosis. As it turns out not all is well but most of the tracks on the album are of high quality. I could have done without the first 4 minutes of ambience in At the End of the Road and Origin also seems to go on forever without much going on but tracks like the title track that opens the album and To the Wind are prime examples of how great Neurosis are when they pull out their best cards.

The production is dark and organic. Very well produced.

Given to the Rising is a good release by Neurosis but I canīt help to notice that the band seem to have run out of creativity and new ideas and while I could listen to many albums yet that sounds like this one without getting tired of Neurosis, I still think itīs time for them to seriously re-think how they want their music to sound on the next release. Given to the Rising lack the creative and innovative spirit of earlier releases and thatīs a real shame. Stagnation is sometimes worse than taking chances that might turn out bad. Taking chances at least means that youīre still a creative force to be reckoned with and not a sleeping dinosaur. Still a 3.5 star rating is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#268319) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 25, 2010

Review by EatThatPhonebook
3 stars 6/10

"Given To The Rising" is the table of contents of Neurosis's career.

Finally we reach to the end to Neurosis's career so far, "Given To The Rising", the final chapter of the final trilogy. I had pretty high expectations for this, even though I was noticing it didn't get such great feedback. I gave it a few spins, and I was unfortunately a little disappointed by it, it did not have the good qualities I expected it to have.

Post Metal is a label I never liked, I always found good alternatives. But with "The Eye Of Every Storm" and even more with this one, this choice is harder to maintain. It's, sure, the usual Atmospheric Sludge Metal, but it's hard to not fall also into Post-Rock territory in some of these songs. While in the last couple of albums the band has got much more experimental and open towards Post-Rock textures, "Given To The Rising" is much heavier than those releases, more aggressive, more distorted. It has many beastly moments that are gigantic sounding. The building is much more frequent than in "The Eye Of Every Storm", which leads to one word; nostalgia. I'm guessing that Neurosis wanted to make with this album the "Through Silver In Blood" of the 00's, but the result is not at all as good. The experimentation here is brave, the sounds the band uses to fill in the music is very fascinating and cool, and that's one of the best elements this album has going for. It's obviously a pretty ambitious album, even more than the previous effort, but everything here feels so tired and forced, it's like Neurosis are using the same exact formulas they usually use on every album before this.

Maybe this is the time when Neurosis is the past, and the bands that feel influenced by them are the future. It would be kind of nice for this to be their last album, I feel like it's a sort of summary of everything the band has done: ambience, heavy distortion, raging vocals, repetition, build ups, strange samples, Post-rock, Sludge Metal, Progressive. Imagine the band's career as a book; the previous albums are chapters, "Given To The Rising" is the table of contents.

But enough of the bad talk: there are many moments here that are truly worth the time, like "Hidden Faces", great hook and good structure, "Water Is Not Enough", a heavy, strange song. Good moments are present also in the title track, another heavy song, the more experimental "Distill", and the final epic "Origin", eleven towering minutes that are very well put together.

A decent album overall, even though it does lack of a few essential elements such as originality. But it has enjoyable moments that a Neurosis fan like me would gladly listen to.

Send comments to EatThatPhonebook (BETA) | Report this review (#550187) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 14, 2011

4 stars Neurosis are the perfect example of, "if you're gonna do a genre which means noise and drone are concerned, do it right." And they did it right. To be honest, there are some arty farty metalheads who can't play instruments and decide that, "Oh, I'll make noise, that's kind of like music." But Neu ... (read more)

Report this review (#259641) | Posted by arcane-beautiful | Wednesday, January 06, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A return to form for the Godfathers of Post-Metal. I'm not going to go into too much detail here, but Neurosis move on from 2004's disappointing 'The Eye of Every Storm'. The guitar is heavy, the bass is pounding, the drums are crushing, and the vocals range from clean to tortured. Neurosi ... (read more)

Report this review (#135133) | Posted by jikai55 | Monday, August 27, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Absolute Masterpiece. Neurosis have returned from 2004's disappointing The Eye of Every Storm, with an undeniably epic and absolutely flooring release. Surpassing even Through Silver In Blood, Given to the Rising is a startling amalgam of everything Neurosis has become famous for over the y ... (read more)

Report this review (#116740) | Posted by lightbulb_son | Thursday, March 29, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of NEUROSIS "Given to the Rising"