GIVEN TO THE RISING

4. At the End of the Road
5. Shadow
6. Hidden Faces
7. Water is Not Enough
8. Distill (Watching the Swarm)
9. Nine

- Steve Von Till / guitars,vocals
- Dave Edwardson / bass
- Noah Landis / keyboards,samples
- Jason Roeder / drums

CD Neurot Recordings (2007)

Thanks to TheProgtologist for the addition

NEUROSIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Purify Through Silver In Blood, 1996

Neurosis - A Sun That Never SetsNeurosis - A Sun That Never Sets
Multiple Formats
Relapse 2002
DVD$12.05
OMEGA MASSIF Kalt LP PICTURE DISC French sludge metal godflesh neurosis slint US $16.99 Buy It Now 31m 14s
Neurosis - Given to the Rising (3xLP, Black) US $39.99 [0 bids]
59m 47s
NEUROSIS - 2004 Magazine Poster US $7.70 Buy It Now 5h 5m
Neurosis - Given To The Rising [CD New] US $16.51 Buy It Now 7h 19m
EYEHATEGOD:NEW DIGIPACK CD.SLEEP.NEUROSIS.YOB.DOWN.CROWBAR.PANTERA US $15.00 [0 bids]
VALLENFYRE:SPLINTERS.NEW DIGIPACK CD.SLEEP.NEUROSIS.YOB.DOWN.PARADISE LOST. US $15.00 [0 bids]
Ektoise painted Down River CD feat Noah Landis (Neurosis, Tribes of Neurot) US $6.57 Buy It Now 9h 21m
Halo - Guattari CD (Sealed) (Godflesh, Dead World, Neurosis, Khanat US $1.25 [2 bids]
SHAKHTYOR S/T DIGIPAK NEUROSIS BLACK SABBATH ACID BATH OMEGA MASSIF UFOMAMMUT US $15.00 Buy It Now 11h 15m
Pig Destroyer - Natasha CD (Sealed) (Dystopia, Earth, Neurosis, Cathedral) US $3.00 [0 bids]
PELICAN australasia 2xLP mastodon RSD SEALED neurosis isis uncle acid yob boris US $29.99 [0 bids]
THOU baton rouge EP 1ST PRESS RED 800 neurosis yob isis melvins boris salome om US $26.66 [0 bids]
OZZ-FEST: OZZY OSBOURNE,SEPULTURA,SLAYER,BIOHAZARD,FEAR FACTORY,NEUROSIS++ [NEW] US $5.99 Buy It Now 12h 43m
ELODEA Cataclysmic CD atmospheric dirge metal from Slovenia, neurosis, doom US $8.98 Buy It Now 13h 24m
NEUROSIS Given to the Rising (CD) [Jewel Case] US $13.95 Buy It Now 15h 5m
Neurosis Sovereign Color Vinyl LP Mastodon Electric Wizard Melvins US $25.00 [1 bids]
MASTODON LP CALL OF THE MASTODON RED FANG NEUROSIS TOOL KYUSS HIGH ON FIRE ISIS US $19.99 Buy It Now 17h 19m
Cult Of Luna - Cult of Luna S/T Earache Neurosis Isis Godflesh SLUDGE US $0.99 [1 bids]
Neurosis & Jarboe CD swans godflesh pallbearer isis jesu LN Neurot Recordings US $1.99 [0 bids]
TRIBES OF NEUROT Silver Blood Transmissions CD neurosis sunn noise experimental US $1.99 [1 bids]
FLESHPRESS Rebuild/Crumble CD finnish sludge metal deathspell omega neurosis NEW US $9.99 Buy It Now 18h 32m
ABSKE FIDES s/t CD blackened Brazilian prog-doom a la mar de grises neurosis NEW US $11.99 Buy It Now 18h 37m
PASO INFERIOR CORRUPTED JAPAN DOOM DRONE METAL BORIS NEUROSIS CARCASS ABBA US $33.99 Buy It Now 21h 20m
DEADBIRD Twilight Ritual CD DIGIPACK southern psych-sludge Rwake neurosis NEW US $12.98 Buy It Now 22h 14m
Neurosis Enemy Of The Sun CD 1993 ALTERNATIVE TENTACLES Original Release US $10.00 [0 bids]
Black Chalice "Submission" Tape Sunn Burning Witch Neurosis Church of Misery Von US $2.99 [0 bids]
Diseased Oblivion "Portals of Past and Present" Tape Sunn Swans Neurosis Worship US $2.99 [0 bids]
NEUROSIS - HONOR FOUND IN DECAY [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $15.88 Buy It Now 1 day
Mouth Of The Architect Kenoma CD Lot Time & Withering Split Rosetta Neurosis US $9.00 [0 bids]
NEUROSIS Honor Found in Decay 2LP NEW LTD ORANGE Mastodon Nile Death Metal OEM US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NEUROSIS Honor Found in Decay 2LP Black 180 Gram Mastodon Nile Relapse OEM US $35.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Today is the Day-Temple of the Morning Star lp1997 Relapse rare Neurosis Metal US $15.00 [0 bids]
Neurosis - Honor Found In Decay [Vinyl New] US $32.93 Buy It Now 1 day
ACROSS TUNDRAS Dark Songs Of The Prairie CD neurosis sludgy Americana rock NEW US $9.98 Buy It Now 1 day
GREY DATURAS Dead In The Woods CD improv-sludge neurosis skullflower noise-rock US $7.98 Buy It Now 1 day
BASTARD NOISE / MALACHI Immortals CD MITB Neurosis US $2.00 Buy It Now 1 day
NEUROSIS Given To The Rising DOUBLE LP rare oop SEALED US $84.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RWAKE "Voices of Omens" CD (mastodon, neurosis, kylesa) US $5.99 [0 bids]
LIKE NEW Neurosis - A Sun That Never Sets ( 2xLP, Grey Splatter) US $115.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SOL Beast of Riddles, Monster of Light CD DUSK MY DYING BRIDE NEUROSIS MORGION US $7.00 Buy It Now 1 day
BUZZOVEN To a frown CD allied buzzov-en neurosis helmet sludge US $25.99 Buy It Now 1 day
KELLY, Scott (NEUROSIS) The Wake CD neurot relapse tribes of neurot wino US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Judas S/T 7" crossed out eyehategod neurosis stoner rock power violence b9 US $4.99 [0 bids]
Harvey Milk CD PROMO A small turn DOOM Hydra neurosis thrones isis melvins metal US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GOJIRA From Mars To Sirius 2 LP GREEN VINYL /600 meshuggah neurosis morbid angel US $24.99 [0 bids]
Logical Nonsense Deadtime 12" Rare Punk Grimple Misfits Neurosis Dead Silence DI US $49.99 [0 bids]
Joe Colon - Schismajam / Condemek - Aural Neurosis SEALED 7" single ERL Records US $19.99 [0 bids]
PROFONDO ROSSO next stop neurosis +1 JAPAN CD JX54 US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MASTODON remission 2xLP PURPLE VINYL baroness neurosis isis uncle acid yob boris US $39.99 [0 bids]
THOU BLACK SEPTEMBER split 7" RED VINYL salome samothrace yob norska neurosis US $9.99 [0 bids]
Party Boys "No Aggro" LP RARE MINT OOP Crowd Control Savage Republic Neurosis US $14.99 [0 bids]
RORSCHACH Remain Sedate Protestant 2xLP Metalcore NEUROSIS Man Is The Bastard XX US $32.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Neurosis, Live at Stockholm Audio CD US $12.44 Buy It Now 2 days
May I Refuse Everything stops her breath Neurosis Dufre US $20.79 Buy It Now 2 days
SUNN O))) WHITE 2 ORANGE LTD. 100 TOUR EDITION Neurosis Isis Ulver Mastodon KTL US $120.00 Buy It Now 2 days
SUNN O))) Candlewolff MINT! NO CUTS/SPLITS Neurosis Isis Ulver Baroness Mastodon US $99.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Through Silver In Blood(Explicit Version) - Neurosis US $11.56 Buy It Now 2 days
Pelican 5 CD LOT - Australasia Fire in our throats ISIS NEUROSIS METAL US $56.28 [0 bids]
Morne 'Asylum' 2-LP Vinyl New/Sealed grief disrupt neurosis crust armageddon US $20.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Generation of Vipers Vinyl LP Heavy Metal, Sludge, Neurosis, Isis 12" LTD 500 US $10.00 [0 bids]
Triad - Battle of Mice, Red Sparowes, Made Out of Babies (JESU, ISIS, NEUROSIS) US $5.00 [0 bids]
Wino / Scott Kelly - Split 7" LP Rare Limited Stoner Metal St. Vitus Neurosis US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Spirit - Neurosis - Fuze Recordings - 1998 #66979 US $5.11 Buy It Now 2 days
APEFACE 12" punk Hardcore Neurosis Econochrist San Jose US $4.00 [0 bids]
3 CDs FROM :MORBID ANGEL NEUROSIS BIOMECHANICAL US $44.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Neurosis Aberration Ep 7" 1st Press Isis Pelican Sleep Melvins US $29.99 [0 bids]
ISIS The Red Sea CD reissue red sparowes SLUDGE godflesh neurosis earth melvins US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Roll Call For The Second Site CD ENVY/NEUROSIS/FEAR US $8.53 Buy It Now 3 days
Boris - Attention Please LP NEW melvins sunn oo)) sleep neurosis doom sludge US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Various Artists - CONTAMINATED 4.0 Relapse Promo CD Neurosis Amorphis Deceased US $2.99 [0 bids]
WORMWOOD Starvation 2LP GREY WAX progdoom neurosis amebix yeti contrapotere NEW US $18.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ACROSS TUNDRAS Dark Songs Of The Prairie LP (GREY SPLAT) us christnmas neurosis US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
SLEEP 2XLP DOPESMOKER PURPLE VINYL SEALED RARE PUNK KBD MELVINS NEUROSIS OM DOOM US $50.00 Buy It Now 3 days
YOB The Great Cessation VINYL 2 x LP SOUTHERN LORD unplayed new Doom Neurosis US $25.00 [0 bids]
A Sun That Never Sets by Neurosis (CD, Oct-2005, Relapse Records (USA)) US $6.99 [0 bids]
Neurosis - Given To The Rising Documentary DVD promotional item for CD / LP US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
NEUROSIS - ENEMY OF THE SUN - CD - 1992 - NEUROT - FREE SHIPPING US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
CAVE IN "Perfect Pitch Black" CD isis converge doomriders melvins neurosis hxc US $5.99 Buy It Now 4 days
CONTAMINATED 3.0 CD 2 Disc Set 2000 Bongzilla Pig Destroyer Exhumed Neurosis US $4.99 Buy It Now 4 days
HIS HERO IS GONE - FIFTEEN COUNTS OF ARSON 1996 HARDCORE THRASH neurosis propain US $6.20 Buy It Now 4 days
Om - Pilgrimage CD RARE PROMO Southern Lord Sunn O))) Neurosis Pelican Slint US $5.00 [0 bids]
RED SPAROWES / GREGOR SAMSA split CD instrumental rock ISIS OM neurosis VSS new US $6.00 [0 bids]
Neurosis - Honor Found in Decay US $16.29 Buy It Now 4 days
Cthonic Rites Moss neurosis funeral orchestra evoken worship disembowelment US $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Converge / Hellchild - Deeper The Wound confessor tool neurosis US $7.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Keen Of The Crow - Hyborea morgion evoken baroness neurosis my dying bride US $6.00 Buy It Now 4 days
My Shameful - descend A5 digi evoken my dying bride neurosis swallow the sun US $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
OLD MAN GLOOM Zozobra CD LOT - Cave In Converge ISIS METAL Neurosis US $56.28 [0 bids]
NEUROSIS The Doorway Cassette Sleep Times of Grace Through Silver In Blood Isis US $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Harvestman Trinity CD Neurot Recordings Steve Von Till of Neurosis! Limited! NEW US $12.89 Buy It Now 4 days
Discharged Comp Nausea , Final Conflict , Neurosis , Extreme Noise Terror Punk US $5.00 [0 bids]
SUBLIMINAL NEUROSIS-END/STOP NEUROTIC BELIEFS THOUGHTS-BRAINWAVE MIND TECHNOLOGY US $11.99 Buy It Now 4 days
TODAY IS THE DAY TEMPLE OF THE MORNING STAR LP RELAPSE MASTODON NEUROSIS METAL US $60.00 [0 bids]
VERY RARE Tribes Of Neurot 3x CD 2000 SOLSTICE SERIES Neurosis Subscriber POSTER US $114.99 Buy It Now 4 days
The Bat Is Back Alternative Tentacles Sampler CD Lard, Neurosis, Les Thugs, Nome US $29.99 [0 bids]
Live At Roadburn 2007 - Neurosis New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $18.68 Buy It Now 5 days
ANODYNE Salo 10" VINYL noise rock / metal TOMBS am rep unsane swans neurosis NEW US $6.98 Buy It Now 5 days
POSTER - SCOTT KELLY & THE ROAD HOME (USA - Neurosis) and JARBOE (USA - Swans) US $9.37 [0 bids]
Sleep NEW SHIRT L black Dopesmoker DOOM sludge Neurosis Sunn Unsane Isis Harvey US $12.00 [0 bids]
Sunn NEW SHIRT M white DOOM sludge Neurosis Unsane Isis Harvey Milk Sleep Cavity US $12.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy NEUROSIS music online Buy NEUROSIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NEUROSIS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NEUROSIS Given to the Rising ratings distribution

NEUROSIS Given to the Rising reviews

3 stars As much as I love heavy, dark music I found this one a tough one to get into. This is one creepy, atmospheric and intense record.The vocals really reminded me of the way Eddie Vedder screams on some of the songs on the "Vs." record. This guys vocals are deeper though.

"Given To The Rising" opens with a dark, heavy and doom-like soundscape.The vocalist screams out the words. 1 1/2 minutes in the sound mellows out with reserved vocals, but it doesn't last for long. This contrast continues.The tempo speeds up 7 minutes in with some good guitar. Great section. "Fear And Sickness" takes a minute to get going and the direction we're going is sludgey, heavy and slow. The drums pound steadily. "To The Wind" has a fantastic 2 minute intro, as the guitar is picked slowly in the Post-Rock style. It comes back later. We get some creepy spoken words 4 1/2 minutes that eventually sound like a death rattle as he gurgles "To the wind". "At The End Of The Road" has little going on for 3 minutes as we get a creepy, atmospheric mood. Then the vocalist moans out the words. The song finally kicks in at the 5 minute mark as he spits out the words in anger. "Shadow" starts again slowly for a minute and a minute after that we are kicking !

"Hidden Faces" is my favourite. It opens with guitar feedback and sounds and then drums come in. It gets heavy 2 minutes in, as this is one of the best sections instrumentally. By the time "Water Is Not Enough" comes along the vocals are getting a little tiresome. There is a welcomed instrumental interlude with lots of atmosphere.The drums and bass sound great 5 minutes in. It has a spooky ending. "Distill (Watching The Swarm)" has a slower pace until 1 1/2 minutes in we have a real rocker on our hands.3 1/2 mintes in we're crawling along. Not anymore ! We get a long calm passage until he cries out "Distill !". "Nine" has a similar beginning (lots of atmosphere and no melody) as a lot of the songs, but this time it continues through the whole tune. "Origin" features slowly pounding drums that are joined by spoken words 3 minutes in.Guitar comes in about a minute later. Drums stop 8 minutes in as we can only hear guitar until 9 minutes in he screams "I shatter !" as the whole band joins in.

I can see why some would give this a five star rating, but for me 3.5 stars is just right.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#135009) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 26, 2007

Review by Dim
2 stars Well, now that I have another Neurosis album to compare this one to, I think it's time I reviewed this one. I was pretty excited to pop it in 4 months ago, ready for my first encounter with post metal behind City of echoes. I was disappointed. I thought the recording quality sucked, the drumming sucked, and the line after line of barely eeking out a syllable sucked. Now that I have become very well rounded and am very knowledgeable in the field of post metal... I still don't like it. I like the recording quality now, I like the primitive yet completely filling drum beats, but the vocals, all the songs are the same 4 line grunts that still lack appeal.

The experimental quality in through silver in blood is gone, though the same bombastic Tool-Esq power chords are to climax the song, there is no more feel of rage, or a sense of doom among the album. More poetic that TSIB, it concentrates heavily on the lyrics, and less on creating a mood, or setting a tone. If the lyrics weren't line after line grunted the way they are that would be fine, bu t I just cant stand it. Whats more, along with the increase of vocals, there is shorter songs, and the few longer songs are still JUST dominated by singing, except the opener, which I do enjoy much. After a few unsatisfied listens, I began to pick out the music underneath the singing, it melts together quite nice. Neurosis, the post metal band well known for there hardcore traits disguised them very nicely in the music of the album, mostly just drop D, muddy power chords and lots of crazy experimental drum beats, and it works.

Even after picking out some of the more listenable parts, getting all the way through this album is a chore for me. I'm not the biggest Neurosis fan, but apparently I'm not getting something that a lot of people are, and that's okay, it's just a matter of tolerance. I for one have very little for lots of grunting and little music. I will continue to invest time and money in this band for my liking in TSIB, and what I've been told, Given to the rising is a huge change from any other neurosis album. 2 stars.

Send comments to Dim (BETA) | Report this review (#157198) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 30, 2007

Review by The T
4 stars Finally, my first satisfactory post-metal experience has arrived.

NEUROSIS' Given to the Rising is the first album in this genre that I can say I truly enjoy. I've had past experience with repetitive releases by ISIS, AGALLOCH, PELICAN, and even that post-like "avant-garde" thing that was KAYO DOT, and not one of them really got into me. With this disc, that has changed.

NEUROSIS' music is dark, very dark, ultra-dark, like a barren wasteland in the middle of nowhere (probably in the outskirts of hell) with little or no light and just dead creatures and vultures flying around. Such a heavy, gloomy atmosphere as this album conveys is hard to forget.

Much has been said about the recording. The drums are in-your-face and barely produced at all (they sound big, empty. Many people dislike the sound but I think it adds to the atmosphere; ultra- produced-slick drums a la DREAM THEATER or PORCUPINE TREE would've hurt the effect the music is trying to provoke: that of desolation, fatality, death. This is music meant to be under-produced. The rest of the instruments sound equally raw, but it's the drums that really stand out for their "boxiness".

The drum-playing has also been criticized. This is another case where I happen to disagree. Yes, it's no jazzy playing, it's not full of finesse or ghost notes or syncopations or anything. But it's very, very effective. The big, troll-like fills actually manage to do that, they fill the space and add to the depressive atmosphere.

I've read comments about the lack of experimentation in this album. I have to confess that I haven't heard more NEUROSIS, so maybe I'm missing on a lot. But if I compare this to other post-metal discs I've listened to, yes, there IS less experimentation, but there's also more song-writing, more coherent structures, more discernable patterns, more music. I much rather hear the simpler songs in this album that the "complex" noises in KAYO DOT, to name an example (I know, it's "avant-garde"... even worse in that case). I don't see in this album the same love for mind-numbing repetition that plagues most post-metal albums. I hear balance, equilibrium. I like it.

A very good album, I almost felt inclined to give it a 5. But I think this music can still grow and be better. Maybe NEUROSIS has already done that. So now it's a good time for me to check on their prior releases.

Recommended for: Post-metal fans, fans of dark, obscure, atmospheric, slow metal.

Send comments to The T (BETA) | Report this review (#158362) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 11, 2008

Review by UMUR
3 stars Given to the Rising is the 10th full-length studio album by US, California based experimental/ post metal act Neurosis. Iīve been reviewing Neurosis albums from an end over the last couple of years and as a consequence become quite the fan of their dark heavy post metal style. The last three releases by the band A Sun That Never Sets (2001), Neurosis & Jarboe (2003) and The Eye Of Every Storm (2004) have seen the band flirting more and more with post rock elements and clean vocals and allthough all three albums are greatly enjoyable in their own right I have to admit that I miss the relentless aggression of the bandīs mid- to late nineties albums. Especially the caustic vocal delivery on Through Silver in Blood (1996) and Times of Grace (1999). Well...times change.

Given to the Rising isnīt a further move into softer post rock territories and a big hell yeah for that. Rather itīs somewhat a return to more aggressive styled raw vocals and heavy riffs. Take it with a grain of salt though as Given to the Rising doesnīt reach the hights of neither Through Silver in Blood nor Times of Grace when it comes to aggression or heavy delivery. The style on Given to the Rising is more a mix of the older aggressive side of the bandīs sound and the more recent softer side too. Make no mistake though a Neurosis album is always an extremely heavy and bleak affair. Crushingly heavy guitar riffs, Scott Kellyīs angry vocals, the atmosphere creating sounds by Noah Landis and the excellent rythm section of drummer Jason Roeder and bassist Dave Edwardson. All the parts are there for another great album by Neurosis. As it turns out not all is well but most of the tracks on the album are of high quality. I could have done without the first 4 minutes of ambience in At the End of the Road and Origin also seems to go on forever without much going on but tracks like the title track that opens the album and To the Wind are prime examples of how great Neurosis are when they pull out their best cards.

The production is dark and organic. Very well produced.

Given to the Rising is a good release by Neurosis but I canīt help to notice that the band seem to have run out of creativity and new ideas and while I could listen to many albums yet that sounds like this one without getting tired of Neurosis, I still think itīs time for them to seriously re-think how they want their music to sound on the next release. Given to the Rising lack the creative and innovative spirit of earlier releases and thatīs a real shame. Stagnation is sometimes worse than taking chances that might turn out bad. Taking chances at least means that youīre still a creative force to be reckoned with and not a sleeping dinosaur. Still a 3.5 star rating is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#268319) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 25, 2010

Review by EatThatPhonebook
3 stars 6/10

"Given To The Rising" is the table of contents of Neurosis's career.

Finally we reach to the end to Neurosis's career so far, "Given To The Rising", the final chapter of the final trilogy. I had pretty high expectations for this, even though I was noticing it didn't get such great feedback. I gave it a few spins, and I was unfortunately a little disappointed by it, it did not have the good qualities I expected it to have.

Post Metal is a label I never liked, I always found good alternatives. But with "The Eye Of Every Storm" and even more with this one, this choice is harder to maintain. It's, sure, the usual Atmospheric Sludge Metal, but it's hard to not fall also into Post-Rock territory in some of these songs. While in the last couple of albums the band has got much more experimental and open towards Post-Rock textures, "Given To The Rising" is much heavier than those releases, more aggressive, more distorted. It has many beastly moments that are gigantic sounding. The building is much more frequent than in "The Eye Of Every Storm", which leads to one word; nostalgia. I'm guessing that Neurosis wanted to make with this album the "Through Silver In Blood" of the 00's, but the result is not at all as good. The experimentation here is brave, the sounds the band uses to fill in the music is very fascinating and cool, and that's one of the best elements this album has going for. It's obviously a pretty ambitious album, even more than the previous effort, but everything here feels so tired and forced, it's like Neurosis are using the same exact formulas they usually use on every album before this.

Maybe this is the time when Neurosis is the past, and the bands that feel influenced by them are the future. It would be kind of nice for this to be their last album, I feel like it's a sort of summary of everything the band has done: ambience, heavy distortion, raging vocals, repetition, build ups, strange samples, Post-rock, Sludge Metal, Progressive. Imagine the band's career as a book; the previous albums are chapters, "Given To The Rising" is the table of contents.

But enough of the bad talk: there are many moments here that are truly worth the time, like "Hidden Faces", great hook and good structure, "Water Is Not Enough", a heavy, strange song. Good moments are present also in the title track, another heavy song, the more experimental "Distill", and the final epic "Origin", eleven towering minutes that are very well put together.

A decent album overall, even though it does lack of a few essential elements such as originality. But it has enjoyable moments that a Neurosis fan like me would gladly listen to.

Send comments to EatThatPhonebook (BETA) | Report this review (#550187) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 14, 2011

4 stars Neurosis are the perfect example of, "if you're gonna do a genre which means noise and drone are concerned, do it right." And they did it right. To be honest, there are some arty farty metalheads who can't play instruments and decide that, "Oh, I'll make noise, that's kind of like music." But Neu ... (read more)

Report this review (#259641) | Posted by arcane-beautiful | Wednesday, January 06, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A return to form for the Godfathers of Post-Metal. I'm not going to go into too much detail here, but Neurosis move on from 2004's disappointing 'The Eye of Every Storm'. The guitar is heavy, the bass is pounding, the drums are crushing, and the vocals range from clean to tortured. Neurosi ... (read more)

Report this review (#135133) | Posted by jikai55 | Monday, August 27, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Absolute Masterpiece. Neurosis have returned from 2004's disappointing The Eye of Every Storm, with an undeniably epic and absolutely flooring release. Surpassing even Through Silver In Blood, Given to the Rising is a startling amalgam of everything Neurosis has become famous for over the y ... (read more)

Report this review (#116740) | Posted by lightbulb_son | Thursday, March 29, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of NEUROSIS "Given to the Rising"