ELVENEFRIS

- Setchi / guitar
- Václav Zahradník / keyboards
- Martin Corn / bass

Obscene Productions

Thanks to MikeEnRegalia for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

LYKATHEA AFLAME MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy LYKATHEA AFLAME Elvenefris Music

More places to buy LYKATHEA AFLAME music online Buy LYKATHEA AFLAME & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for LYKATHEA AFLAME DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

LYKATHEA AFLAME Elvenefris ratings distribution

LYKATHEA AFLAME Elvenefris reviews

Review by JJLehto
5 stars Let me first say this album blows my mind! Lykathea Aflame, (now just Lykathea) was introduced to me by my brother because of how obscure they were. We could not find them even in our always reliable local music store. However, we grew to love "Elvenefris" This album is the epitome of Progressive Metal. In an instant it shifts from soft, slow melodies with clean guitar work to brutal death metal. Every song on this album will take you to both extremes, several times.

The guitar work on this album is best described as organized chaos. It never does the same thing for more than 20 seconds at a time. Throughout any song you will hear death metal-esque tremolo picking, crushing riffs, (and they are always different!), eastern influences, and very technical licks.

The drumming on "Elvenefris" is truly astounding. While there are plenty of thrash beats, double bass, and mind numbingly fast blast beats, there are also very technical beats. There is constant use of double bass, with complex ride/snare patterns over it. The drumming is very fill heavy, and just like the guitar work it is always changing. On the flip of a switch Tomas Corn alternates from precision snare and bass drumming to blast beats, then to a jazzy interlude, and back to pounding blast beats. That is what amazes me most, his technicality on the album as well as his stop and go skills.

Every song is different, and each is an indescribable experience of technicality. Despite the extreme metal feel to the album, there is the 11:13 long "Walking in the Garden of Ma'at" which is entirely consistent of bird chirping and "nature" sounds.

If there is one downside to this album, it has to be the vocals. I am a seasoned veteran of metal, and death metal, but even I have some difficulty with the vocals on this album. I am not sure how to describe them..."pig squeal" vocals, seem the best way to go, (to me the vocals often just sound like "bree"). It should be noted the vocals often fit the music very well, but they can be tough to swallow. Luckilly, the vocals are not used heavily, or else I might have to give this album a lower rating. However, spoken word is also used frequently and if you are a fan, you will get past the vocals.

I give this album 5 stars. Not for the typical prog fan, or even most casual prog-metal fans. However, if you are a hardline prog-metal, (or death metal) fan this album is a must!

Send comments to JJLehto (BETA) | Report this review (#213723) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 04, 2009

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'Elvenefris' - Lykathea Aflame (8/10)

Although Lykathea Aflame only released one album before caving in and changing band names, it is rare to see an expanded list of the 'greatest death metal albums of all time', and not see their work present. Despite virtually universal acclaim across the board, Lykathea Aflame have never achieved that more widespread recognition, although that may be for good reason. Although death metal fans (and metalheads in general) tend to lean towards some side of the spectrum- be it melodic death or brutal grind- 'Elvenefris' sees this talented group touch upon the lightest and heaviest elements of the style, often propping up next to each other. The end result is an incredibly chaotic and challenging record, but also one filled with beauty, precision, and listening satisfaction.

For those already familiar with death metal, Lykathea Aflame's heavier elements lean towards the niche of 'brutal death metal'; a pummelling brand of death metal that is best represented by its low guttural vocals, and- as one may have guessed by the name- a hyberbolic sense of brutality. Although the incredibly low vocals of Radim Matějka plant Lykathea Aflame firmly within that particular school of death metal, there is much more to 'Elvenefris' than brutal riffs and blasts. What has made this album stand the test of time is the fact that Lykathea Aflame introduce strong melodic hooks, and even mellow moments of atmosphere amidst the crushing heaviness. These atmospheric melodies are often based in Middle-Eastern music. Although they are from the Czech Republic, 'Elvenefris' carries an Egyptian theme in the music. To illustrate; 'Land Where Sympathy Is Air' opens the album with a jarring melody that sounds plucked out of oriental music. The combination of these widely contrasting sounds is challenging to hear at first, but as a listener becomes more used to the distinctive death metal sound that Lykathea Aflame plays, the risk pays off.

The guttural vocals are a bit hard to handle at first, even for someone who is fairly versed in the death metal genre. However, they are mixed very well into the rest of the sound, never overpowering the instruments. Radim's very low growl makes it virtually impossible to hear what he's saying for the most part, and the vocals virtually become a blanket of heaviness that compliments the feeling that the metal elements bring. For an album of this aggressiveness, 'Elvenefris' does run a tad long, going several minutes over the hour mark. When one considers that the last track is an unnecessary piece of synth-laden ambiance, it's clear that some of the music here could have been shaved off, without losing any of the meaning. Lykathea Aflame's album does not strike me as the flawless masterwork that some claim it is, but I can certainly appreciate why they would think that about the music here. In a style that is most plagued by generic bands, 'Elvenefris' stands out, and still sounds as fresh today as it did a decade ago.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#609238) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012

5 stars ELVENEFRIS - 5/5 stars Did you think that Opeth were the ultimate mixture between 'extreme Metal' and 'progressive layers/interludes'? Well, now listen to 'Lykathea'. The perfect blend of harrowing brutality and passages full of spiritual harmony. 'Lykathea Aflame' is a Czech band that has ... (read more)

Report this review (#787880) | Posted by TheWatcho | Saturday, July 14, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars What can I say to fully explain the sheer awesomeness of this album? Elvenefris is a masterpiece and is one of my favorite albums of all time. The album amazes me even after years of owning it and listening to it regularly. This album manages to perfectly transition from brutal to melodic, all in ... (read more)

Report this review (#209237) | Posted by TN | Sunday, March 29, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I could write enough to fill out an entire page of your browser, but I am lazy and I'm sure you have better things to do. Fans and the tolerant of Death Metal elements cannot go another moment without hearing this unique, amazingly well executed album. It's a very organic feeling album which revol ... (read more)

Report this review (#153680) | Posted by Abbath | Sunday, December 02, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of LYKATHEA AFLAME "Elvenefris"