5 SONGS

Buy THE DECEMBERISTS Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2001

1. Oceanside (3:29)
2. Shiny (5:11)
3. My Mother Was A Chinese Trapeze Artist (4:42)
4. Angel, Won't You Call Me? (2:40)
5. I Don't Mind (4:39)
6. The Apology Song (3:11)

Total time: 23:52

Search THE DECEMBERISTS 5 Songs lyrics

Search THE DECEMBERISTS 5 Songs tabs

- The Decemberists / main performers

LP self-released USA (2001)
CD Hush 040 USA (2003)

Song lengths vary between versions

Thanks to ClemofNazareth for the addition
and to Joolz for the last updates

THE DECEMBERISTS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE DECEMBERISTS 5 Songs Music

The Decemberists: A Practical HandbookThe Decemberists: A Practical Handbook
Multiple Formats
Kill Rock Stars 2007
DVD$4.94
Picaresque by The Decemberists *New CD* US $13.22 Buy It Now 39m 17s
THE DECEMBERISTS - THE KING IS DEAD [THE DECEMBERISTS] [CD - NEW CD BOXSET US $49.37 Buy It Now 3h 23m
The Decemberists Signed Limited Edition Vinyl Lp Record Colin Meloy King Is Dead US $124.99 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Decemberists - Hazards Of Love [Vinyl New] US $18.81 Buy It Now 4h 22m
BLACK PRAIRIE FORTUNE LP NEW SEALED RSD '14 indie-rock w/download Decemberists US $12.99 Buy It Now 9h 6m
We All Raise Our Voices to the Air: Live Songs 04.11.08 * by Decemberists... US $17.90 Buy It Now 9h 56m
Decemberists - Crane Wife [Vinyl New] US $22.91 Buy It Now 10h 13m
The Decemberists Castaways And Cutouts 180gm Vinyl LP Record indie NEW US $21.99 Buy It Now 10h 27m
Her Majesty the Decemberists US $5.99 Buy It Now 10h 49m
DECEMBERISTS - HAZARDS OF LOVE (LTD) (180GM) NEW VINYL US $27.49 Buy It Now 11h 43m
DECEMBERISTS - LONG LIVE THE KING NEW 10" LP SEALED US $9.66 [0 bids]
The King Is Dead Decemberists Sealed ! New ! US $6.84 Buy It Now 12h 23m
V/A - 97.3 KBCO Studio C Vol. 19 CD Modest Mouse Shins Decemberists Ryan Adams US $11.99 Buy It Now 12h 40m
the decemberists limited edition cd US $25.49 Buy It Now 13h 2m
The Decemberists - Hazards Of Love 2LP NEW US $33.99 Buy It Now 13h 40m
The Crane Wife by The Decemberists CD 2006 Capitol/EMI Alternative / Indie Rock US $3.80 [0 bids]
The Hazards of Love by The Decemberists (CD, Mar-2009, Capitol) US $4.99 [0 bids]
The Crane Wife - Decemberists 11756538 US $14.48 Buy It Now 20h 2m
Blue Giant self title LP sealed Mint Decemberists Swords Corin Tucker US $21.99 Buy It Now 20h 31m
Patti Smith Two More Ltd Ed 7" Vinyl Lou Reed Decemberists covers Sealed New OOP US $9.95 Buy It Now 22h 41m
Always the Bridesmaid Vol. 2 [12"] by the Decemberists (Vinyl 180gr, Nov-2008, J US $17.35 Buy It Now 1 day
Always the Bridesmaid Vol. 3 [12"] by the Decemberists (Vinyl 180gr, Nov-2008, J US $17.35 Buy It Now 1 day
THE DECEMBERISTS colin meloy 2011 NEW/SEALED "long live/king" 10" FOLK INDIE EP US $12.89 Buy It Now 1 day
Decemberists - Her Majesty , The Decemberist LP 180 Gram Vinyl Brand NEW US $11.85 [2 bids]
The Crane Wife by The Decemberists (CD, Oct-2006, Capitol/EMI Records) US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE DECEMBERISTS - THE CRANE WIFEF-CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE DECEMBERISTS - THE CRANE WIFE-CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
The Decemberists We All Raise Our Voices to the Air: Live Songs 04.11.08 3xLP US $25.00 [0 bids]
The Hazards Of Love - Decemberists The CD Sealed New ! US $6.48 Buy It Now 1 day
The Decemberists - Her Majesty LP NEW 180g Jealous Butcher Records US $27.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Decemberists - We All Raise Our Voices To The Air 3LP NEW Live Songs 2011 US $36.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Decemberists Always The Bridesmaid Vol. 1: Valerie Plame Sealed New Unopen US $25.00 [0 bids]
The King Is Dead [Digipak] by The Decemberists (CD, 2011, Consolidated Artists) US $5.00 [0 bids]
Picaresque - The Decemberists (CD, Mar-2005, Kill Rock Stars) US $4.55 Buy It Now 1 day
Castaways and Cutouts by The Decemberists (CD, May-2009, Kill Rock Stars) US $2.99 [0 bids]
The Decemberists Rare Authentic Band Hand Signed CD The King Is Dead 2011 REAL US $84.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Decemberists - Her Majesty The LP 180g Vinyl NEW US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
The Decemberists THE KING IS DEAD 180g Vinyl Record LP US $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LOOK! THE DECEMBERISTS Picturesque CD US $5.50 Buy It Now 2 days
The Crane Wife [LP] by Decemberists (The) (Vinyl, Oct-2006, Capitol/EMI Records) US $23.56 Buy It Now 2 days
Her Majesty by Decemberists (The) (CD, Sep-2003, Kill Rock Stars) US $12.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Decemberists- Long Live The King- 2011 EP Vinyl LP- Sealed US $22.80 Buy It Now 2 days
DECEMBERISTS- Hazards Of Love/ 2009 Vinyl LP- SEALED US $26.60 Buy It Now 2 days
DECEMBERISTS- The King Is Dead- 2011 Sealed Vinyl LP! US $26.60 Buy It Now 2 days
THE DECEMBERISTS - Castaways and Cutouts LP 12" vinyl US $14.99 [0 bids]
Decemberists - Hazards Of Love 2LP 12" vinyl US $11.24 [0 bids]
Rock Pop cD Crane Wife by The Decemberists Sons,Daughters,When the War,Yankee US $0.67 [0 bids]
1 CENT CD: Decemberists 'The Hazards Of Love' 2009 US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Decemberists - Long Live The King [Vinyl New] US $13.61 Buy It Now 3 days
THE DECEMBERISTS Signed Silk Screen Print By Jay Ryan #85 of 300-Nottingham 2005 US $40.59 Buy It Now 3 days
The King Is Dead - The Decemberists US $12.14 Buy It Now 3 days
The Decemberists THE CRANE WIFE Capitol Records NEW SEALED Vinyl 2 LP US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
The Decemberists THE KING IS DEAD 180g Plus MP3 Download NEW SEALED Vinyl LP US $23.99 Buy It Now 3 days
The Decemberists Picaresque 2x Vinyl LP Record with Picaresqueties EP US $29.29 Buy It Now 3 days
GREAT LAKES MYTH SOCIETY 2 CDs Barely played SWIMMERS DECEMBERISTS MONGER US $2.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Colin Meloy Sings SAM COOKE Solo Tour only CD EP New Decemberists Carson Ellis US $24.50 Buy It Now 3 days
CD 'Alternative Rock Xmas' BEST BUY EXCLUSIVE Decemberists + Alarm ++ SEALED US $0.99 [0 bids]
Colin Meloy Sings Live! Cd The Decemberists US $0.99 [0 bids]
CMJ New Music Vol 112 (Norah Jones,Placebo,Decemberists,Turin Brakes,Venus Hum) US $6.99 [0 bids]
Picaresque by The Decemberists (CD, May-2009, Kill Rock Stars) US $4.50 Buy It Now 3 days
The Crane Wife by The Decemberists (CD, Oct-2006, Capitol/EMI Records) US $8.99 [0 bids]
PATTI SMITH Two More Cover remake LOU REED & DECEMBERISTS TRX PROMO 7 INCH VINYL US $44.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Decemberists - Long Live The King (2011) - New - 12" single US $10.64 Buy It Now 3 days
Decemberists - We All Raise Our Voices To (2012) - New - Long Play Record US $26.61 Buy It Now 3 days
Decemberists - Hazards Of Love (2009) - New - Long Play Record US $15.84 Buy It Now 3 days
ROUGH TRADE SAMPLER - UK 16 TRK CD - ARCADE FIRE - DECEMBERISTS - SUN KILL MOON US $8.71 Buy It Now 3 days
PRESERVE VOLUME ONE RARE 2003 BENEFIT CDr THE DECEMBERISTS SHEARWATER SNAILHOUSE US $7.95 [0 bids]
Decemberists The King Is Dead Vinyl LP Record not cd! indie rock! NEW US $29.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Decemberists The Crane Wife 2x Vinyl LP Record indie rock! not cd! NEW US $29.59 Buy It Now 4 days
Castaways and Cutouts by The Decemberists (CD, May-2009, Kill Rock Stars) US $4.00 [0 bids]
DRUNKEN PRAYER vinyl record decemberists bonnie prince billy dolorean castanets US $11.99 Buy It Now 4 days
DECEMBERISTS-THE KING IS DEAD-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK F25 US $26.50 Buy It Now 4 days
DECEMBERISTS-CD Platinum Disc+Photo-HAZARDS OF LOVE US $207.08 Buy It Now 4 days
Guster - Keep It Together 1st press vinyl LP OOP RARE the format decemberists US $109.00 Buy It Now 4 days
1 CENT CD The Hazards of Love by The Decemberists SEALED 2009 ALBUM US $0.45 [3 bids]
Tain [EP] & The Hazards of Love by Decemberists US $6.00 Buy It Now 4 days
The Decemberists HAZARDS OF LOVE Capitol Records NEW SEALED Vinyl 2 LP US $24.99 Buy It Now 4 days
STILL SEALED & MINT! BLACK PRAIRIE Singers, Vol. 1: Portland 7" Decemberists RSD US $5.99 Buy It Now 4 days
The Decemberists Long Live The King 6 Song Vinyl EP 2011 Capital Records US $14.99 [0 bids]
Patti Smith Two More 7" Vinyl Rare Non LP Lou Reed Decemberists New Sealed Promo US $5.99 [0 bids]
THE DECEMBERISTS - The Rake's Song - 7" Vinyl Single 45 2009 US $8.95 [0 bids]
THE DECEMBERISTS - Billy Liar - 7" Vinyl Single 45 US $8.95 [0 bids]
DECEMBERISTS: Record Year For Rainfall / Raincoat Song 45 (UK, die-cut cardboar US $12.00 Buy It Now 4 days
2 NEW SEALED Decemberists vinyl lps The King Is Dead The Hazards of Love US $35.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Decemberists,Comet Gain,Deerhoof,CD,Mollie's Mix US $7.99 Buy It Now 4 days
DECEMBERISTS Billy Liar b/w Everything I Try Do 7" NEW black VINYL Meloy US $19.50 Buy It Now 4 days
DECEMBERISTS Rake's Song b/w East India Lanes 7" NEW VINYL Meloy Sealed RSD 2009 US $9.50 Buy It Now 4 days
Decemberists - Picaresque LP Vinyl Record US $32.12 Buy It Now 5 days
THE DECEMBERISTS - CASTAWAYS AND CUTOUTS - NEW CD US $11.77 Buy It Now 5 days
MINT COLIN MELOY SINGS LIVE! RARE OOP LIMITED EDITION *GREEN VINYL* DECEMBERISTS US $64.95 Buy It Now 5 days
BLACK PRAIRIE Vol.1 Decemberists Shins Sallie Ford 7" OOP NEW US $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Decemberists - Crane Wife (2006) - New - Compact Disc US $13.93 Buy It Now 5 days
Castaways and Cutouts by The Decemberists (2003, Kill Rock Stars) THE MINT US $5.99 Buy It Now 5 days
THE DECEMBERISTS THE HAZARD OF LOVE ARGENTINA CD PRO US $33.28 Buy It Now 5 days
The Decemberists Vinyl LP The Crane Wife US $20.00 [0 bids]
Decemberists - Hazards Of Love (2009) - New - Compact Disc US $13.93 Buy It Now 5 days
Decemberists - King Is Dead (2011) - New - Compact Disc US $13.93 Buy It Now 5 days
THE DECEMBERISTS THE KING IS DEAD SEALED CD NEW 2011 US $5.90 Buy It Now 5 days
The Decemberists - King Is Dead (2011) CD/DVD deluxe edition digipak US $1.61 [0 bids]

More places to buy THE DECEMBERISTS music online Buy THE DECEMBERISTS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE DECEMBERISTS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE DECEMBERISTS 5 Songs ratings distribution

THE DECEMBERISTS 5 Songs reviews

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
2 stars This first effort from the Decemberists is not particularly strong I must admit. Colin Meloy’s vocals and witty storytelling are dead-on right from the first track, but musically there is quite a bit of work to be done before this band will be ready for the big stage.

Meloy was only a few months out of his alt-country band Tarkio when this was recorded, and there are definite signs of that kind of musical sensibility in these songs. In particular, the drums are pretty bland, simple tempos, very little variety in the other percussion, and overall quite bland. The band has gone through three or four drummers in their short existence, and I believe the one on this record is Ezra Holbrook, who was much better on ‘Castaways and Cutouts’ the following year before leaving the band, but who is nothing special here.

The keyboards are better, but here again the organ and a little accordion makes for a rather one-dimensional sound which is nowhere near as rich as the band would manage on their subsequent studio works.

I don’t know why this is called ‘5 Songs’ since there are six songs on the EP, but I suppose this is some sort of attempt at clever indie humor. Whatever.

“Oceanside” and “Shiny” both feel like tentative baby-steps for the band, neither making any strong lyrical or musical statement. The now sort-of-famous “My Mother was a Chinese Trapeze Artist” is the middle track. This was a little bit of a sarcastic whimsical tune Meloy wrote for his girlfriend out of frustration when his staid parents began to put pressure on him to abandon music for a more stable career. Meloy is charming here at least with his tongue-in-cheek seriousness and dead-pan delivery in front of almost completely acoustic instrumentation. This kind of reminds me of the cheekily-awkward humor of many standup comedians around today whose parents were immigrants that they constantly make jokes about. The tale of how this fictitious mother of his met her Russian husband and ended up tilling this soil in America is as believable as it is silly, and overall one can’t help but find it charming.

“Angel, Won't You Call Me?” on the other hand has a rhythm that sounds suspiciously like “Twist and Shout”, a decidedly American country-and-western timbre, and pretty plain guitars. Not much to get excited about really, and I suspect this tune was a holdover from Meloy’s Tarkio or Happy Cactus days.

“I Don't Mind” has the kind of brooding vocals and unambitious accompaniment that would become chick by the time ‘Her Majesty’ rolled around, but also by then the band had developed more showmanship and stage presence, the lyrics picked up quite a bit more detail, and the breadth of the percussion and supporting instrumentation grew exponentially. On this track it just sounds slightly amateur.

Finally with the “Apology Song” the band simply proves that their roots are in fact indie rock. This could have easily been a Barenaked Ladies or even a Zutons tune just as easily. Maybe this one should have been left off and this really would have been “5 Songs”.

So a decent first attempt by the band, but not really folkish, and surely not progressive. And really not particularly noteworthy either. I’m glad I have it since it completes the collection, but if I’m not mistaken that also pretty much designates this as a collectors-only piece, so two stars it is. Check out any of their full-length studio albums or their excellent DVD instead.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#122651) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars Their first EP (including.six songs) was released one year prior their debut album "Castaways And Cutouts". A nice work which combined great vocal harmonies as well as a pleasant musical feeling.

This first release, is far to reach this level. It is obvious that the band is much less mature and the song writing seriously lacks in the ability to distil subtle and fascinating songs like Odalisque for instance.

These songs are gently folkish all the way through. Some country accents are completing the picture. But I'm not really a fan of country music, which explains that "My Mother Was A Chinese Trapeze Artist" can hardly move me and it's almost the same story with "Angel."; even if the beat is some more enthusiastic.

The whole bunch of songs are too similar in essence and the overall mellow aspect is too much present during these six songs. Not very inspired I would say.

This EP is for die-hard fans and as such only deserves two stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#182157) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Review by The Whistler
3 stars 3.5 Songs

Like many strapping young men, I went back in time with my precious Decemberists, seeking roots. The EP 5 Songs usually gets a bad rap for being a little too unpolished, and most fans can’t wait to move beyond it, and get their grubby little hands on Castaways and Cutouts. Well, c’mere, listen to me real close...this honestly isn’t much worse than Castaways and Cutouts. Hell, in terms of quality, I hardly see the difference.

Anyway, if it’s roots you want, we’ll play the “where’s the influence?” game. The calm, seaside pop of “Oceanside” seems to have more in common with The Beach Boys (dig the jangly guitars!) than Jethro Tull; which is not necessarily a bad thing. The tune is far from unpleasant, and definitely creates a atmosphere which unique (accordions! In pop music! What will they think of next?) and, well, oceanic. Whaddya want?

If it’s a minor key folk song dressed up like a pseudo-epic you want, the next song, “Shiny” should do ya fine. It’s actually my favorite spot on the record. Almost fully acoustic, save for some lovely slide guitar, the setup resembles Meddle-era Pink Floyd this time around. The beat drives forward, Colin’s lyrics are stretching towards artsy. Yes, yes, I like this. THIS is where things like The Tain take root, believe it or not.

“My Mother Was a Chinese Trapeze Artist,” despite the fancy title and lyrical content, is kind of a dip of quality. It’s a nice enough bit of laid back jazz, but beyond its theatrical dressing, it doesn’t have much to offer.

The next two songs show the gang experimenting with more Beach Boys-esque baroque pop outings. “Angel, Won’t You Call Me?” might not have the slick production of later Decemberist pop pieces, but it already shows that the band knows its way around a solid, intelligent pop tune. “I Don’t Mind” even features a small orchestra of some form...I don’t think it’d be a synth. This IS The Decemberists we’re talking about. Also, pay careful attention to the lyrics on “I Don’t Mind,” and see that Colin is already trying to write something “epic.”

What’s weird, but nice, is that the lads decide to end the EP pretty much as well as they opened it: there is nothing particularly artsy or intelligent about “The Apology Song,” but as far as indie rock jokes go, it’s hilarious; the charming little tale of what happened to a friend’s bike, complete with pleading vocals and a nice, layered guitar solo.

So the band is already in place: one part Beach Boys, one part Pink Floyd, one part jazz cabaret, one part indie folk...okay, so they’ve got miles to go, but clearly, this is the road to something good. All the material is tolerable, and some of it goes beyond the role of interesting curio and turns into solid Decemberists epic pop. What really saves it is the length; basically, the material is JUST good enough, and the EP is JUST short enough, and it really can’t fail. It all holds together. Castaways and Cutouts might have better production values, but it can’t hold a candle to 5 Songs in terms of overall tightness.

Still, I wouldn’t quite recommend this to anyone beyond a Decemberists fan wondering what the heck the band sounded like BEFORE “16 Military Wives.” Still, for those fans who do wander this far back, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Send comments to The Whistler (BETA) | Report this review (#207977) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 22, 2009

Review by russellk
2 stars '5 Songs' is in fact a fairly respectable collection of six pleasant songs, a pastiche of alt-country, folk-rock and gentle pop. As the first outing for what is fast becoming a very important contemporary prog band, THE DECEMBERISTS' debut is by no means essential, and will not trouble your playlist more than a couple of times.

The patented DECEMBERISTS sound is here: accordion, steel guitar, COLIN MELOY's unique voice and delivery. The subject matter is present: careful observation of the small things of life (Apology Song), personal experiences (My Mother Was A Chinese Trapeze Artist) and things nautical (Oceanside). So what's missing? The twists that turn mundane material into something grand, that's what. Later DECEMBERISTS material offers sharper observations, more complex music and arrangements, and significantly more challenging concepts. This is just too straightforward to capture the imagination.

There are hints that MELOY has something greater in mind. The cover suggests that words are important to him, and the song titles imply the sense of quirky, twisted black humour we see more of later. But hints are not enough to encourage the casual progger to purchase this album.

Every musician has to start somewhere. Some artists are forever defined by their magnificent debuts (MIKE OLDFIELD, for example) while others use them as stepping stones to something greater. Happily, THE DECEMBERISTS are in the latter category. The best thing about this release is the promise it shows, but there is nothing here to compel you to return.

Send comments to russellk (BETA) | Report this review (#216406) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 17, 2009

Review by Conor Fynes
2 stars '5 Songs' - The Decemberists (4/10)

Every band starts somewhere, and some bands end up quite a long distance from where they began. Nowadays, this group from Portland, Oregon has gone to release some highly artistic and enjoyable releases that reinforce their indie roots with edgy arrangements and the ambition to delve into other, unexpected genres. Now this early EP is not truly bad and not mindless at all; rather, it is painfully mediocre and although a few songs are quite pleasant to listen to, a few really fall short.

The music is essentially acoustic guitar driven backed up with a band and a few unexpected instruments thrown into the mix for good measure. One thing that you might notice on the first listen of this album (here comes a big spoiler!) is that there are actually six songs on the album, contradicting what the song title suggests. I don't know if they did this to get some added hipster cred, or just to be funny but it is not worth much more than a fleeting snicker.

The only two songs that really stand out as being 'good' songs are 'Shiny' and 'My Mother Was A Chinese Trapeze Artist,' especially the second one mentioned. These aren't fantastic by any account, but they are well-written and have a decent performance to go along. The lyrics (despite Colin Meloy being a fantastic poet) are sort of ridiculous throughout. Colin goes from singing about having his parents lose him to a pirate in a bet to wanting to work in a bakery to apologizing to his friend for losing a bicycle named Madeleine. Suffice to say, the inane lyrics get irritating, and I completely understand that indie-folk does not usually jump to levels of true profundity and isn't trying to blow anyone away; but compared to a lot of the stuff that this band would do later on, there is not much point to this.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#279994) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 30, 2010

2 stars Don't let my rating fool you, this is indeed a very good EP by The Decemberists, especially considering it was their first (though Colin was already very experienced in songwriting and producing by this time). It just lacks any progressive influence at all. The band shows this influence more and ... (read more)

Report this review (#121863) | Posted by Speesh | Sunday, May 13, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE DECEMBERISTS "5 Songs"