PICARESQUETIES

Prog Folk

The Decemberists Picaresqueties album cover

Buy THE DECEMBERISTS Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2005

1. The Bandit Queen (with "Dialogue" and "Tap Dancing") (4:19)
2. Bridges And Balloons (3:13)
3. Constantinople (3:34)
4. The Kingdom Of Spain (Version Prescott)(3:43)
5. The Bandit Queen (Version Prescott) (4:26)

Search THE DECEMBERISTS Picaresqueties lyrics

Search THE DECEMBERISTS Picaresqueties tabs

- Tom Hill / trombone
- Petra Haden / violin, voices
- Joe Cunningham / baritone sax, tenor sax
- Eric Stern / tenor (vocal)
- Aaron Stewart / tamtam
- Sean Nelson / voices
- Paul Brainard / trumpet, horn arrangements
- Christopher Walla / electric guitar, mixing, producer
- Colin Meloy / guitar, vocals
- Jenny Conlee / voices
- John Roderick / sound effects

LP Jealous Butcher JB-053 (2005 USA)

Thanks to ClemofNazareth for the addition
and to Joolz for the last updates

THE DECEMBERISTS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE DECEMBERISTS Picaresqueties Music

The Decemberists: A Practical HandbookThe Decemberists: A Practical Handbook
Multiple Formats
Kill Rock Stars 2007
DVD$4.99
THE DECEMBERISTS + We All Raise Our Voices ti the Air +3 LP SET+NEW+2012+ US $19.98 [0 bids]
39m 10s
THE DECEMBERISTS SIXTEEN MILITARY WIVES 7" VINYL 2005 ORIGINAL N.MINT RARE US $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 54m
CMJ New Music Vol 112 (Norah Jones,Placebo,Decemberists,Turin Brakes,Venus Hum) US $6.99 [0 bids]
The Decemberists - The Crane Wife - 2006 SEALED Gatefold Double USA LP US $19.99 [0 bids]
The Decemberists - The King Is Dead - Gatefold LP US $19.99 [0 bids]
THE DECEMBERISTS The Rake Song CDr Promo Single 2009 US $4.88 Buy It Now 12h 8m
Picaresque - Decemberists (The) (CD 2005) US $25.99 Buy It Now 20h 8m
Shins Swift Sessions 7" vinyl record andrew bird iron & wine decemberists US $8.95 Buy It Now 21h 13m
The Crane Wife by The Decemberists CD 2006 Capitol/EMI Alternative / Indie Rock US $3.80 [0 bids]
The Decemberists The Crane Wife 2xLP sealed vinyl US $21.98 Buy It Now 23h 58m
Mad Men: Music from the Series, Vol. 2 CD Lionsgate AMC Rare OOP Decemberists US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Decemberists - Always the Bridesmaid Vol. 1,2,3 12"s, Used US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Rock Pop cD Crane Wife by The Decemberists Sons,Daughters,When the War,Yankee US $0.67 [0 bids]
Colin Meloy Sings Shirley Collins Decemberists CD not vinyl or Morrissey US $19.99 [0 bids]
THE DECEMBERISTS This is why We Fight PROMO CD single US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Decemberists January Hymn 7" EP 45 2010 RSD Rare and Limited Edition SEALED US $7.18 Buy It Now 1 day
Decemberists - King Is Dead CD US $19.46 Buy It Now 1 day
Decemberists - Tain CD US $12.97 Buy It Now 1 day
DECEMBERISTS THE KING IS DEAD NEW OOP STAINLESS STEEL WATER BOTTLE NOT LP CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Decemberists - The Hazards Of Love - RTRADCD556 US $18.97 Buy It Now 1 day
Decemberists - Crane Wife - RTRADCD456 US $17.62 Buy It Now 1 day
The Decemberists, The King Is Dead Audio CD US $9.55 Buy It Now 1 day
DECEMBERISTS**THE KING IS DEAD **CD+DVD US $17.84 Buy It Now 1 day
Decemberists - Always the Bridesmaid & instrumentals - U.S. PROMO 2 cd - RARE! US $59.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Tain - Decemberists New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $17.30 Buy It Now 1 day
Black Prairie - How Do You Ruin Me? - 2012 U.S. PROMO cd- RARE! Decemberists US $9.07 Buy It Now 1 day
THE DECEMBERISTS 'Long Live The King' Vinyl 10" NEW & SEALED US $19.66 Buy It Now 2 days
Her Majesty by The Decemberists (CD, Sep-2003, Kill Rock Stars) US $8.99 [0 bids]
The Crane Wife by The Decemberists (CD, Oct-2006, Capitol/EMI Records) US $8.99 [0 bids]
Capitol 21459 The Decemberists/"The Perfect Crime #2"/EP US $13.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Decemberists Long Live The King 10" Sealed Vinyl 6 Tracks US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Norfolk & Western - A Gilded Age LP SEALED Decemberists US $16.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Decemberists - Crane Wife [CD New] US $15.42 Buy It Now 2 days
DECEMBERISTS-THE KING IS DEAD-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK F25 US $28.50 Buy It Now 2 days
The Decemberists - The King is Dead LP US $30.00 Buy It Now 2 days
The Decemberists - The King Is Dead NEW CD US $14.94 Buy It Now 2 days
The Crane Wife by The Decemberists (CD, Oct-2006, Capitol/EMI Records) US $13.25 Buy It Now 2 days
The King Is Dead [Digipak] by The Decemberists (CD, Jan-2011, Consolidated... US $16.46 Buy It Now 2 days
The Decemberists - Her Majesty [ LP, Jealous Butcher, NEW ] Replacements US $36.99 Buy It Now 2 days
The Decemberists We All Raise Our Voices to the Air: Live Songs 04.11.08 3xLP US $25.00 [0 bids]
The Decemberists - Down By the Water 1-track Promo CD Single US $7.00 Buy It Now 3 days
DECEMBERISTS LONG LIVE THE KING 10" VINYL LP SEALED US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Decemberists - Hazards Of Love 2LP 12" vinyl US $14.99 [0 bids]
DECEMBERISTS**WE ALL RAISE OUR VOICES TO THE AIR (LIVE 2011)**2 CD SET US $17.84 Buy It Now 3 days
The Decemberists - 5 Songs CD - 2003 Indie release - Like New US $4.98 [0 bids]
Castaways and Cutouts by The Decemberists (CD, May-2009, Kill Rock Stars) US $3.99 [0 bids]
THE DECEMBERISTS Billy Liar w Los Angeles I'm Your CD Flash Hawk Parlor Ensemble US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
KFOG ARCHIVES VOL 16 CD DECEMBERISTS LITTLE FEAT PRETENDERS GOMEZ ANDREW BIRD US $13.00 Buy It Now 3 days
The Decemberists - Billy Liar - Scarce 2004 Canadian 4trk CD US $8.14 [0 bids]
DECEMBERISTS - HAZARDS OF LOVE NEW CD US $23.23 Buy It Now 3 days
Decemberists - Long Live The King CD US $11.62 Buy It Now 3 days
DECEMBERISTS - PICARESQUE NEW CD US $22.85 Buy It Now 3 days
Decemberists - Picaresque CD US $18.28 Buy It Now 3 days
Decemberists - Castaways & Cutout CD US $16.72 Buy It Now 3 days
Korn Army Of Anyone Decemberists Saosin Amos Lee Meat Loaf Lily Allen PROMO CD! US $2.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Music For A New Year 2011 Uncut Magazine CD Iron & Wine Low Anthem Decemberists US $1.96 Buy It Now 3 days
WAKE UP CD from UNCUT Magazine The Shins, TV On The Radio, Decemberists, Dears US $2.04 Buy It Now 3 days
LOOK! THE DECEMBERISTS Picturesque CD US $5.50 Buy It Now 3 days
We All Raise Our Voices to the Air: Live Songs 04.11.08 * by The Decemberists... US $17.60 Buy It Now 3 days
THE DECEMBERISTS - Castaways and Cutouts LP 12" vinyl US $19.99 [0 bids]
The Decemberists Long Live The King 10" vinyl US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
16 Military Wives - Decemberists (CD Single 2005) [I... US $20.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Her Majesty by The Decemberists CD 2003, Kill Rock Stars KRS 375 Canada MINT US $11.24 Buy It Now 4 days
The Hazards of Love by The Decemberists (CD, Mar-2009, Capitol) Minty US $7.88 Buy It Now 4 days
Picaresque by The Decemberists CD 2005, Kill Rock Stars KRS 425 Canada MINTY US $8.39 Buy It Now 4 days
The Crane Wife by The Decemberists (CD, Oct-2006, Capitol/EMI Records) US $7.88 Buy It Now 4 days
THE DECEMBERISTS 'Picaresque' Gatefold Double Vinyl LP + Download NEW US $33.97 Buy It Now 4 days
The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love - U.S. PROMO cd 082714 US $8.95 Buy It Now 4 days
RARE OOP Studio C KBCO Vol. 19 CD Modest Mouse THE SHINS Ryan Adams Decemberists US $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Colin Meloy Sings Live! Cd The Decemberists US $4.99 Buy It Now 4 days
The Decemberists : WE ALL RAISE OUR VOICES TO THE AIR (LIVE 04.11 - 08.11) CD US $15.95 Buy It Now 4 days
The Decemberists The Hazards Of Love 17 Trk Double Vinyl LP SEALED US $57.07 Buy It Now 4 days
DECEMBERISTS Sixteen Military Wives 7" B/w From My Own True Love Demo (rtrads271 US $9.77 Buy It Now 4 days
Decemberists - We All Raise Our Voices To The Air The Decemberist [Vinyl New] US $29.58 Buy It Now 4 days
2 NEW SEALED Decemberists vinyl lps The King Is Dead The Hazards of Love US $39.99 Buy It Now 4 days
DECEMBERISTS We All Raise Our Voices To The Air 3x LP VINYL NEW COLIN MELOY US $44.99 Buy It Now 4 days
DECEMBERISTS - KING IS DEAD NEW VINYL US $28.18 Buy It Now 4 days
Decemberists- We All Raise Our Voices To The.. 3 LP SET/ SEALED US $35.15 Buy It Now 4 days
The Hazards Of Love - Decemberists The CD Sealed New ! US $6.48 Buy It Now 4 days
DECEMBERISTS - WE ALL RAISE OUR VOICES TO THE AIR: LIVE SONGS NEW VINYL US $42.54 Buy It Now 4 days
The Decemberists - Long Live The King EP NEW 10" Sealed US $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Fancipantz "Dispossession" 7" RARE Nada Surf / Decemberists Side Project Ltd 1k! US $49.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Picaresque by The Decemberists (CD, Mar-2005, Kill Rock Stars) Like New! US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
The King Is Dead [DIGIPAK] by The Decemberists (CD, 2011, Capitol) US $1.99 [0 bids]
The Crane Wife by The Decemberists (CD, Oct-2006, Capitol/EMI Records) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Long Live the King - Decemberists New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $11.02 Buy It Now 5 days
Castaways and Cutouts by The Decemberists (CD, May-2009, Kill Rock Stars) US $4.00 [0 bids]
DECEMBERISTS - WE ALL RAISE OUR VOICES TO THE AIR: LIVE SONGS NEW CD US $31.64 Buy It Now 5 days
Colin Meloy Sings Live! CD by Colin Meloy (The Decemberists) Kill Rock Stars Hip US $6.29 Buy It Now 5 days
PRESERVE VOLUME ONE RARE 2003 BENEFIT CDr THE DECEMBERISTS SHEARWATER SNAILHOUSE US $7.95 [0 bids]
DECEMBERISTS The Crane Wife US Double LP 2006 Capitol Issue Factory Sealed New ! US $36.90 Buy It Now 5 days
DECEMBERISTS Hazards Of Love US Double LP 2009 Capitol Issue Sealed Brand New ! US $36.90 Buy It Now 5 days
The Decemberists - King Is Dead (2011) CD/DVD deluxe edition digipak US $11.40 Buy It Now 5 days
DECEMBERISTS, The - Picaresque - 2xLP US $39.15 Buy It Now 5 days
DECEMBERISTS, The - Her Majesty (reissue) - LP US $29.52 Buy It Now 5 days
THE DECEMBERISTS - THE KING IS DEAD [DIGIPAK] [CD BOXSET] [2 - NEW CD BOXSET US $17.82 Buy It Now 5 days
Guster - Keep It Together 1st press vinyl LP OOP RARE the format decemberists US $109.00 Buy It Now 5 days
The Decemberists - We All Raise Our Voices To The (NEW CD) US $19.15 Buy It Now 5 days
DECEMBERISTS RARE Always Bridesmaid 2 Days Elaine 7" NM VINYL Meloy Rough Trade US $17.50 Buy It Now 5 days
Decemberists - The Crane Wife NEW CD US $14.94 Buy It Now 5 days

More places to buy THE DECEMBERISTS music online Buy THE DECEMBERISTS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE DECEMBERISTS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE DECEMBERISTS Picaresqueties ratings distribution

THE DECEMBERISTS Picaresqueties reviews

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
2 stars This isn’t really an album per se, and it isn’t quite an EP either. It was a companion disk to the vinyl version of the ‘Picaresque’ album on the U.S. Jealous Butcher release. As far as I know it hasn’t been released on its own, but there were some distributed during the west coast swing of the band’s 2006 tour. I’ve read it can also be downloaded from eMusic.

This is a very short collection of four outtakes the band recorded during the making of ‘Picaresque’, and includes two versions of the goofy ditty “The Bandit Queen”. The video of one of those versions can also be found on youTube. The songs are all pretty much acoustic, mostly Colin Meloy on guitar and Jenny Conlee on piano. The one kind of surprising track is a cover of the harpist Joanna Newsom’s “Bridges and Ballons” from her first album, which released only a few months before this album was recorded.

“Constantinople” is a weird twist on the ancient Greek take of Hero and Leander, the former a fair maiden and the latter the poor sot who pined for her during nightly visits to the tower where she was ensconced before finally drowning one night while leaving her castle. A typical ambiguously accurate historical vignette for Meloy, for sure; while “The Kingdom of Spain” is yet another Meloy story about a poor soul cum fodder of the Establishment, in this case an unjustly accused young lad who is sentenced to die by the callous king and queen of Spain.

Colin Meloy has a very predictable talent for turning period scenes and obscure literary references into the most enjoyable kind of faux-folk ditties that project his profound sense of self-amusement. Check out the video for “The Bandit Queen” or pretty much the entire “Decemberists” A Practical Handbook” DVD and you’ll see what I mean. This particular record isn’t anything to write home about really, but it’s a nice completer piece if you are into the band. A little better than collectors-only, but not quite great. Probably 2.49 stars. Pick it up if you run across it, but you can probably find most of these songs as sound samples around the web or as youTube videos otherwise.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#125492) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 11, 2007

Review by The Whistler
3 stars The thing that I find most amusing about this EP is how radically different it is from Picaresque in structure (well, that and the name). Are these outtakes from that album? If so, I can see why; they aren’t NEARLY as built up as they ought to be. Heh. These sound more like bizarre, futuristic toss offs from the first album. I tend to say that for every Decemberists EP, don’t I? It just means that the most violent the orchestration on these songs gets is slide guitar. Besides that, I’m pretty sure that piano/ acoustic guitars are all we get.

And “The Bandit Queen (With Dialogue and Tap Dancing)” pretty much gets my vote for best song. I meant, dude! It’s got a pleasant turn of the century piano melody, and it’s got some tap dancing in the middle and some dialogue at the start. In other words, pure Decemberists nonsense, and I love it. I think there was also a video somewhere...I seem to recall enjoying that.

The Joanna Newsom cover of “Bridges and Balloons” is nice enough, but kind of passes me by. I mean, based on what I’ve heard, Colin’s weird voice is a lot easier to stomach than Joanna’s weird voice, believe it or not, but not even the Decemberists can breathe “interesting” into the vocal melody. The original “Constantinople” is honestly not much more interesting, but the melody is much prettier, and certainly better constructed.

“The Kingdom of Spain” is another original, so that means its better constructed. Nothing too pretty to look at mind you, but it’s a pleasant enough tune, definitely reaching back towards that Pink Floyd style folk slide guitar the band cultivated so much back in the early days. The EP rounds out with another version of “The Bandit Queen,” this one the “Prescott Version,” whoever Prescott is. Don’t look at me. All I know is that it’s still a fun song, but not quite as fun; the piano has been swapped for guitar, and the tap dancing is absent. Pity.

But there’s nothing particularly wrong with this little gift pack. I mean, it’s hardly the most essential thing on earth, but if you’re even a passing Decemberist fan with some money that you NEED to get rid, and this happens to be cheap and staring you in the face, you probably will get your kicks out of it. Certainly “The Bandit Queen,” the longer one, is a dirty gem of a Decemberists song, and fans of the band’s earlier, folkier material will find something in the acoustic recording here that has been missing for a while.

Send comments to The Whistler (BETA) | Report this review (#208468) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Post a review of THE DECEMBERISTS "Picaresqueties"