IF

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

Buy IF If Music

Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
$11.30

NEW - If You Lived Here by DISTANCE USD $8.60 Buy It Now 20m 49s
Trini Lopez "If I Had A Hammer"/"Unchain My Heart" 1963 45 RPM USD $3.00 Buy It Now 21m 36s
GIBSON BROTHERS / QUE SERA MI VIDA (IF YOU SHOULD GO) 1979 VICTOR RCA USD $2.95 Buy It Now 22m 57s
VIBRATING EGG come on in here if you want to LP Record - Sealed USD $9.95 Buy It Now 23m 23s
LULA REED~JUST WHISPER~IF THE SUN ISN'T SHINING IN YOUR WINDOW~RARE ~~R USD $29.99 Buy It Now 23m 27s
If Armies Fought Like the Winter Sun - Swiss Auto Club USD $1.00 Buy It Now 25m 10s
THE HUMMINGBIRDS Rare Signed 1991 Aust Only 7" OOP Pop P/C Single "If A Vow" USD $22.62 Buy It Now 26m 30s
THE MAMA'S AND THE PAPA'S If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears LP Record D50006 USD $4.99 Buy It Now 27m 4s
LEMON BUCKET ORKESTRA - IF I HAD THE STRENGTH USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $11.07 Buy It Now 27m 47s
LP< USD $16.00 Buy It Now 28m 17s
MARVIN GAYE & TAMMI TERRELL: If I Could Build My Whole World Around You / If Th USD $8.00 Buy It Now 28m 37s
Jimmy Dawson 7 If I Can't Have You / Bony Maronie USD $39.99 Buy It Now 30m 13s
Michael Bloomfield-If You Love These Blues, Play 'Em As You Please CD NEW USD $19.39 Buy It Now 30m 42s
Jimmy McGriff vg+ 7 If You're Ready Come Go WIth Me /s USD $7.49 Buy It Now 31m 7s
Jive Fyve Five m- promo 7 You Showed Me / If You Let me Make Love to You USD $9.75 Buy It Now 32m 32s
If On A Winter's Night..., Sting, Good USD $2.50 [0 bids]
33m 27s
THE ROLLING STONES / GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT/ LONDON RECORDS / FIRST PRESS / VG USD $14.99 Buy It Now 34m 47s
Malea-If You Really Knew Me CD NEW USD $14.81 Buy It Now 35m 46s
STING "IF YOU LOVE SOMEBODY SET THEM FREE / SAME" 45 MINT PROMO USD $3.00 Buy It Now 36m 27s
?PATCH OF BLUE The Time Is Now/If You Break My Heart Back Door 002 ROCK 45RPM? USD $29.99 Buy It Now 36m 49s
Ronny Shaw~If The Whole World Forgets How To Smile~God Made Woman For The Man USD $6.76 Buy It Now 37m 8s
Hoodoo Gurus If Only Australian CD Single - Like New USD $9.81 Buy It Now 37m 22s
If Only For One Night - CD - Import - **BRAND NEW/STILL SEALED** USD $23.95 Buy It Now 38m 6s
The Pogues If I Should Fall From Grace With God Vinyl USD $5.00 [1 bids]
39m 12s
FIXED STARS -What If The World Sleeps With You?- 1 track CD Promo Bawl USD $3.46 Buy It Now 40m 1s
BARRY MANILOW - If I Should Love Again [Vinyl LP,1981] USA Import AL8 8123 *EXC USD $6.63 Buy It Now 40m 23s
KOOL & THE GANG LADIES NIGHT / IF YOU FEEL LIKE DANCIN' 45 vinyl USD $4.25 Buy It Now 40m 27s
Jones Girls m- 7 If You Don't Love Me No More / Hey Lucinda USD $7.49 Buy It Now 41m 42s
TOM JONES Green, Green Grass Of Home / If I Had You 45 USD $7.52 Buy It Now 42m 31s
Harold Melvin & the Bluenotes, If You Don't Know Me by Now 1972 Philly Int'l 45 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 42m 39s
NEW - If You Can't Fly by Roth, David USD $7.98 Buy It Now 43m 13s
THE ROLLING STONES: Got Live If You Want It LP LONDON RECORDS PS493 US 1966 NM- USD $31.99 Buy It Now 43m 25s
RONAN KEATING IF TOMORROW NEVER COMES 3 TRACK + VIDEO CD - EXCELLENT - VGC USD $7.44 Buy It Now 44m 21s
SHAI IF I EVER FALL IN LOVE 12 TRACK CD - EXCELLENT - VGC USD $6.42 Buy It Now 44m 22s
(BZ380) If The Kids, Life Is Now - 2011 DJ CD USD $3.39 Buy It Now 44m 38s
If Hope Dies - Metalcore - LIFE IN RUIN [2006] CD USD $3.99 Buy It Now 44m 45s
FIVE IF YA GETTIN' DOWN 3 TRACK LIMITED EDITION INCLUDES BONUS T USD $3.74 Buy It Now 44m 47s
FIVE IF YA GETTIN' DOWN 3 TRACK LIMITED EDITION INCLUDES BONUS TRACK CD - LN USD $4.42 Buy It Now 44m 47s
BLUE FLY BY II / IF YOU COME BACK EP AUSTRALIAN LIMITED EDITION 4 TRACK CD - VG USD $6.61 Buy It Now 45m 14s
Jane Green - VICTOR 19707 - If You Hadn't Gone Away & Ida- I Do USD $15.00 Buy It Now 46m 29s
MINT/M- DOO WOP R&B 45~THE CRESTS~JOURNEY OF LOVE/IF MY HEART COULD WRITE~HEAR USD $14.99 Buy It Now 46m 31s
Richie Allbright - If I'd Known Then [New CD] USD $22.86 Buy It Now 46m 54s
STEVE ANDREWS: I Obey / If A Lifetime Isn't Long Enough 45 Oldies USD $15.00 Buy It Now 49m 17s
1977 ENCHANTMENT IF YOU'RE READY (HERE IT COMES) PROMO 45 ROADSHOW RS-X1212-Y USD $9.99 Buy It Now 49m 25s
TELLY SAVALAS If / Rubber Bands And Bits Of String 45 USD $7.52 Buy It Now 49m 36s
STEVIE WONDER Lately / If It's Magic 45 Motown 1980 USD $7.52 Buy It Now 49m 37s
ROY ORBISON So Young / If I Had A Woman Like You 45 USD $9.78 Buy It Now 49m 39s
Olivia Newton-John If You Love Me Let Me Know 1974 MCA Records Vinyl LP MCA411 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 50m 44s
DECCA 78 RECORD #L 6483 LITTLEST ANGELS CHRISTMAS / IF IT DOESN'T SNOW ON XMAS USD $7.99 Buy It Now 51m 9s
Lee Andrews vg+-ex gold vinyl 7 If You Only Cared / A wise man Said USD $24.99 Buy It Now 51m 30s
NEIL DIAMOND If You Know What I Mean / Street Life - 45 USD $7.52 Buy It Now 52m 47s
1980 Freddie Waters Soul Funk M- 45 (You Can Make It If You Try) USD $5.99 Buy It Now 54m 6s
DR. SEUSS--Presents...If I Ran The Zoo/Sleep Book--Vinyl LP USD $4.99 Buy It Now 57m 8s
(218T) Amanda Marshall, If I Didn't Have You - DJ CD USD $2.12 Buy It Now 57m 37s
(772S) Ether, If You Really Want to Know - 1997 DJ CD USD $2.65 Buy It Now 57m 38s
STREETS: If Love Should Go 45 (dj) Rock & Pop USD $5.00 Buy It Now 58m 21s
JIMMY WEBB: If You See Me Getting Smaller / Short 45 (dj) Rock & Pop USD $15.00 Buy It Now 58m 24s
SOUL 45 RPM - DORIS DUKE - MANKIND 12002 - "IF SHE'S YOUR WIFE (WHO AM I)" USD $8.00 Buy It Now 59m 47s
TEE SET "CHARMAINE / IF YOU DO BELIEVE IN LOVE" 45 USD $2.75 Buy It Now 1h
CRYSTAL GAYLE If You Ever Change Your Mind 45 - White Label Promo USD $7.52 Buy It Now 1h
Richie Allbright - If I'd Known Then [New CD] USD $19.09 Buy It Now 1h 2m
2 Bonnie Pointer LP LOT - If the Price is Right + Self titled _ORIG. SOUL VINYL USD $2.33 Buy It Now 1h 3m
ELVIS THE KING PRESLEY SINGS HIS HITS "IF I CAN DREAM". SHIPPING IS FREE! USD $13.99 [0 bids]
USD $18.50 Buy It Now
Huey Lewis and the News -VS4 42803 - If This Is It / Change of Heart 45 USD $2.95 Buy It Now 1h 4m
1957  Al Terry Rockabilly - Hickory Records 45 Vinyl - Money / If I Win, I Win USD $7.50 Buy It Now 1h 6m
SLIMLINE - IF YOU CAN DANCE YOU CAN DO IT - UNPLAYED NEW WLP 45 USD $4.79 Buy It Now 1h 7m
CATERINA VALENTE 45 FIESTA CUBANA B/W IF HEARTS COULD TALK DECCA 9-39709 PROMO USD $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
CAPPS,GRAYSON-IF YOU KNEW MY MIND CD NEW USD $16.14 Buy It Now 1h 10m
IF THESE TREES COULD TALK-RED FOREST CD NEW USD $15.33 Buy It Now 1h 10m
If Bix Played Gershwin [us Import] CD NEW USD $12.33 Buy It Now 1h 10m
CHURCH CHOIR-IF GOD BE FOR US CD NEW USD $15.93 Buy It Now 1h 10m
MARGIE RAYBURN 45 I'M AVAILABLE B/W IF YOU WERE EX LIBERTY F-55102 USD $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Stevie Nicks 45 If Anyone Falls PROMO USD $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Stevie Nicks 45/PICTURE SLEEVE If Anyone Falls PROMO MODERN USD $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Mos Def - The Universal Magnetic / If You Can Huh You Can Hear USED 12" 1997 USD $13.09 Buy It Now 1h 14m
The Lemonheads ?- If I Could Talk I'd Tell You (C168) USD $11.32 Buy It Now 1h 15m
MARIO LANZA - IF YOU ARE BUT A DREAM USD $12.79 Buy It Now 1h 18m
If You Could Read My Mind by Stars on 54 USD $3.47 Buy It Now 1h 19m
1st Pressing 1978 AC-DC If you want Blood You've Got It! LP EX+ - SD-19212 USD $9.99 [0 bids]
USD $20.00 Buy It Now
Blair Gilley-If It`s Just for Tonight CD NEW USD $13.73 Buy It Now 1h 26m
OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN: If Not For You(DYLAN)/ The Biggest Clown ORIGINAL UNI 45rpm USD $3.29 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Carl Perkins on Dollie / 45 rpm / Country Boy's Dream / If I Could Come Back USD $8.95 Buy It Now 1h 32m
LITTLE MILTON Loving You / If Walls Could Talk 45 Checker USD $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
LITTLE JOHNNY TAYLOR First Class Love / If You Love Me 45 Galaxy northern soul USD $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
The Saw Doctors - If This Is Rock And Roll, I Want My Old Job Back NEW SEALED CD USD $37.55 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Liz Anderson . If the Creek Don't Rise . 1969 RCA Victor LP USD $18.49 Buy It Now 1h 33m
STARWOOD If It Ain't Broke, Break It Metal Blade Lizzy Borden USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 34m
the BRIAN JONESTOWN MASSACRE if i love you Vinyl Lp Record with insert USD $19.95 Buy It Now 1h 36m
BOB COLLINS ~ IF I DIDN'T HAVE A DIME/HONEY-POT~ NORTHERN SOUL 45 JOKERS THREE USD $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 37m
NEW - If You Ain't With Us You're Against Us by Paraquat Earth Band USD $1.98 Buy It Now 1h 39m
MONO POP LP - GORDON MacRAE - CAPITOL T2578 - "IF SHE WALKED INTO MY LIFE" USD $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 40m
THE WONDER STUFF - IF THE BEATLES HAD READ HUNTER ... THE SINGLES COMPLETE CD USD $7.50 Buy It Now 1h 40m
ALFIE - IF YOU HAPPY WITH YOU NEED DO NOTHING COMPLETE CD *BUY 3 GET 1 FREE USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Lot of 2 Dane Cook CD's-Harmful If Swallowed,Retaliation 3 CD's 2 DVD's w/Bonus! USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Laura Pausini If That's Love Vinyl 12" Record Promo Only Mixes Aprx 23 Minut NEW USD $9.00 Buy It Now 1h 43m
POCO -(LP)- FROM THE INSIDE INCLUDING "WHAT IF I SHOULD SAY I LOVE YOU"-1971 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 46m
45rpm PAUL OVERSTREET If I Could Bottle This Up/Til The Mountains Disappear =EXC USD $1.00 Buy It Now 1h 46m
If You Wanna? Parka CD single (CD5 / 5") UK JPRCDS026 JEEPSTER 2007 USD $12.63 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Three Chuckles - If I Should Love Again 7" Nice RARE PROMO Doowop on X USD $4.49 Buy It Now 1h 47m
George Jones If My Heart Had Windows. Sealed Musicor MS3158 Ernest Tubb Record s USD $7.49 [0 bids]

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Review by apps79
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Review by Matti
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"