IF

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

Repertoire 2007
IfIf
Extra tracks · Import · Limited Edition
Repertoire 2006

TERRAPLANE If That's What It Takes UK 7" double pack in stickered shrinkwrap USD $4.47 Buy It Now 2h 31m
BELLAMY BROTHERS If I Said You Had A Beautiful Body Would You Hold It Against Me USD $4.47 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Carl Jay Johnson And The Sounds Of Country Ask If I Care 7'' Vinyl Record USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 32m
If I Could Turn Back by Cher (CD, Mar-1999, Geffen) USD $3.77 Buy It Now 2h 32m
If You Want Blood You've Got It [Remaster] by AC/DC Played Once! USD $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Sleeping With Sirens - If You Were A Movie This Would Be Your Soundtrac (NEW CD) USD $10.36 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Larry Green BEWITCHED / IF I HAD YOU ON A DESERT ISLAND promo USD $3.00 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Johnny Maggard If I Had My Hoss Here 7'' Vinyl Record comedy novelty country USD $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 34m
Hawthorne Heights : If Only You Were Lonely CD (2006) USD $4.49 Buy It Now 2h 36m
If This Bass Could Only Talk by Stanley Clarke (Cassette) USD $2.99 Buy It Now 2h 37m
THE BUTTER CUPS If I Love You UK 7" Pama PM 742 1969 Ex USD $64.29 Buy It Now 2h 39m
FARON YOUNG If You Ain't Lovin' UK 7" in company sleeve Capitol CL 14574 1956 USD $33.60 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Will Bradley IF THERE IS SOMEONE LOVELIER THAN YOU / CELERY STALKS AT MIDNIGHT USD $2.00 Buy It Now 2h 40m
7" Bangles - If she knew what she wants (Gatefold sleeve - Double Pack) USD $17.29 [0 bids]
NEW You Can't Go Back If There Is Nothing To Go Back To (Audio CD) USD $20.70 Buy It Now 2h 40m
45 RPM RECORD PROMO/ DAVID HOUSTON YOUR MEMORIES & ONE IF FOR HIM TWO IF FOR ME USD $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Bing Crosby & Ken Darby SUNDAY MONDAY OR ALWAYS / IF YOU PLEASE USD $2.00 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Barry Blue - If I Show You I Can Dance - 45rpm vinyl record USD $0.68 [0 bids]
7" Sting (of the Police) - If you love somebody - Remix WHITE LABEL PROMO USD $13.83 [0 bids]
STELLA/IF YOU DO LIKE MY MUSIC LP 1982 EU w/POSTER PROMO WHITE SAMPLE USD $39.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
45 RPM RECORD /HAROLD MELVIN &THE BLUENOTES IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME BY NOW & LET USD $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Tommy Conwell & The Young Rumblers - If We Never Meet Again - 7" Single USD $4.50 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Jeffrey Osborne - If My Brother's In Trouble (Radio Edit) - 7" Single USD $4.50 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Elkie Brooks - Fool If You Think It's Over - 7" Single USD $2.08 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Ames Brothers IT ONLY HURTS FOR A LITTLE WHILE / IF YOU WANNA SEE MAMIE TONIGHT USD $1.50 Buy It Now 2h 49m
Betty Johnson I DREAMED / IF IT'S WRONG TO LOVE YOU USD $1.50 Buy It Now 2h 49m
MATCHBOX TWENTY_If You're Gone_used cd-s_ships from AUS!_A32 USD $9.57 Buy It Now 2h 50m
THE BEATLES And I Love Her / If I Fell AR-1145 Vinyl JAPAN USD $58.09 Buy It Now 2h 51m
What If 2003 by Moore, Brad USD $8.23 Buy It Now 2h 51m
Barry Manilow Cassette Tapes Lot Of 9 hits 1 2 self singin even now if I 2b USD $25.00 Buy It Now 2h 52m
Elvis Presley - If I Can Dream / Bridge Over Troubled Wate (Vinyl Used Like New) USD $8.02 Buy It Now 2h 54m
Aurora If You Could Read My Mind 12" Remix by Coloursound Headfunk Roksolid USD $6.92 Buy It Now 2h 54m
TERRY JACKS - If You Go Away - 1974 UK 7" Juke Box Single USD $13.82 Buy It Now 2h 54m
1960 ROCK & ROLL Jimmy Clanton - What Am I Gonna Do / If I NEAR MINT 7" 45 USD $10.84 Buy It Now 2h 56m
The Dave Clark Five - Catch Us If You Can/On The Move 7" 45 USD $3.01 Buy It Now 2h 56m
Fats Domino 45 Country Boy / If You Need Me 1960 New Orleans R&B M- USD $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Gordon Lightfoot - If You Could Read My Mind - 44 091 - LP Vinyl Record USD $14.30 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Sting If On A Winter's Night Deutsche Grammophon Universal CD Holiday USD $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 59m
VANESSA WILLIAMS If I Had Wings PHDR-929 8cm CD JAPAN 1996 NEW USD $19.49 Buy It Now 3h
SO WHAT IF I (EUROPEAN IMPORT) NEW CD USD $8.97 Buy It Now 3h 7m
BEE GEES - Stayin' Alive / If I Can't Have You - 1977 VG++ CANADA PRESSING 45 USD $2.80 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Kinks Got Love If you want It Ep 7inch Record Store Day Sealed USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 12m
Mindy McCready Music CD If I Don't Stay The Night~1997 USD $4.95 Buy It Now 3h 13m
Shorty Long I'd Crawl back if i could & You don't have to be a baby to Cry NM 45 USD $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 15m
CHRIS REA : FOOL (IF YOU THINK IT'S OVER) 7" Vinyl Single 45rpm PS Excellent USD $5.53 Buy It Now 3h 17m
LIGHTFOOT GORDON *VG+* "IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND" 1985 US REPRISE CD USD $9.85 Buy It Now 3h 17m
Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers: If You Love Her / I Am Your Man 45 - Gordy - Soul USD $8.00 Buy It Now 3h 17m
NEW If We Were Live (Audio CD) USD $15.12 Buy It Now 3h 18m
David Crosby If I Could Only Remeber My Name Album SD 7203 USD $1.99 [2 bids]
JOHN ROWLES IF I ONLY HAD TIME / LEAPY LEE LITTLE ARROWS 1982 OLD GOLD UK 7" USD $5.52 Buy It Now 3h 20m
78rpm EDDIE FISHER even now / if it were up to me USD $20.75 Buy It Now 3h 20m
The Beatles" If I Fell and I Love Her" 45 picture sleeve and record. USD $75.00 Buy It Now 3h 21m
SERENA RYDER: If Your Memory Serves You Well (2006, Virgin) WEAK AT THE KNEES++ USD $10.98 Buy It Now 3h 23m
JANET JACKSON "IF / ONE MORE CHANCE" 45 USD $3.00 Buy It Now 3h 23m
K.D Lang If I were you 2 mix U.S.A Promo CD single USD $1.37 [0 bids]
LFO (Lyte funkie ones) If I can't have you 2 mix 1998 CD single cardboard sleeve USD $1.37 [0 bids]
VAN MCCOY STRINGS: Sweet And Easy / If I Could Make You Mine 45 (blue lbl) USD $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 24m
STING_If You Love Somebody Set Them free_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS!_M8e USD $9.57 Buy It Now 3h 24m
ETHER If You Really Want To Know UK 3-trk promo CD p/s CDRDJ# USD $17.29 Buy It Now 3h 30m
BILLY McFARLAND IF IT MAKES ANY DIFFERENCE CD USD $13.70 Buy It Now 3h 31m
Thelma Houston If You Feel It (Very Rare/VGC) 1981 Original UK 12" USD $11.05 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Stevie Nicks If Anyone Falls 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) USA promo PR533 USD $60.80 Buy It Now 3h 34m
Detroit Emeralds 45 I Bet You Get The One / If I Lose Westbound soul excellent USD $14.00 Buy It Now 3h 35m
CHUCK JACKSON-IF I DIDN'T LOVE YOU /JUST A LITTLE BIT OF YOUR SOUL ON WAND 45 USD $18.00 Buy It Now 3h 35m
Country Music Cd Reba If You See Him USD $1.00 Buy It Now 3h 37m
Elvis Presley & The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra ?- If I Can Dream CD NEW & SEAL USD $14.36 Buy It Now 3h 37m
Freddy Fender If You Don,t Love Me 8 Track Tape Cartridge Sealed NOS! USD $15.99 Buy It Now 3h 38m
Cliff Bennett(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)Three Rooms With Running Water / If Only-Ex/VG USD $23.64 Buy It Now 3h 40m
Wall Of Sound Critical (If You Only Knew) 12" Positiva 1993 USD $16.59 Buy It Now 3h 41m
If You Wanna Dance 1999 by Nobody's Angel USD $5.01 Buy It Now 3h 43m
LONNIE GORDON - IF YOU REALLY LOVE ME UK CD SINGLE W/RARE MIXES, B-SIDES - FDTF USD $5.25 Buy It Now 3h 44m
SUGAR IF I COULD CHANGE YOUR MIND UK MAXI CD SINGLE E.P W/RARE B-SIDES BOB MOULD USD $5.25 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Various Artists - If I Had a Song (The Songs of Pete Seeger, Vol. 2, 2001) USD $15.95 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Got Live If You Want It USD $5.89 Buy It Now 3h 45m
If - 4 (2007) USD $11.80 Buy It Now 3h 45m
David Alexander - If I Only Had Time (2002) USD $11.63 Buy It Now 3h 45m
Greg Brown - If I Had Known (2003) USD $15.95 Buy It Now 3h 45m
SUPER FURRY ANIMALS - IF YOU DON'T WANT ME TO DESTROY YOU UK MAXI CD SINGLE E.P USD $5.25 Buy It Now 3h 45m
If - Fibonaccis Number/More Live [Bonus Tracks] (Live Recording, 2007) USD $9.73 Buy It Now 3h 45m
If - 3 (2007) USD $11.80 Buy It Now 3h 46m
The Tamperer / If You Buy This Record Your Life Will Be Better - MINT USD $1.38 Buy It Now 3h 46m
MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE - IF [DIGIPAK] NEW CD USD $16.97 Buy It Now 3h 48m
If We Fall in Love Tonight by Rod Stewart (CD, Aug-2007, Warner Bros.) USD $2.37 Buy It Now 3h 50m
*Crystal Gayle & Gary Morris - What If We Fall In Love (Vinyl, Stereo) Near Mint USD $25.76 Buy It Now 3h 50m
LONDON GRAMMAR-IF YOU WAIT-JAPAN CD Ltd/Ed B63 USD $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 51m
PETER PAUL AND MARY LP - S/T 1st LP - LEMON TREE, IF I HAD A HAMMER, FLOWERS USD $8.00 Buy It Now 3h 51m
Elvis Presley America the Beautiful w/ If I Can Dream Video CD Very Good Cond! USD $4.89 Buy It Now 3h 51m
K D LANG IF I WERE YOU CD SINGLE 6F USD $3.44 Buy It Now 3h 52m
BLUE IF YOU COME BACK ENHANCED CD SINGLE 6F USD $2.70 Buy It Now 3h 52m
If You See Her by Brooks & Dunn (CD, Jun-1998, Arista) USD $2.99 Buy It Now 3h 53m
If You're Going Through Hell USD $3.90 Buy It Now 3h 54m
Jon Secada - If You Go (Spanish version) - 1994 UK - SBK - SBK 51 USD $5.13 Buy It Now 3h 55m
HUSH IF I WAS CD SINGLE 7F USD $4.14 Buy It Now 3h 59m
MELVIN,HAROLD & BLUE NOTES-IF YOU DONT KNOW ME BY NOW: BEST OF CD NEW USD $7.80 Buy It Now 4h
If Only Billie Unsung 2005 by Thomasina - Disc Only No Case USD $3.01 Buy It Now 4h
Dennis DeYoung-Desert Moon-Tommy Shaw-What If-Styx Related-Rock-Record LP Lot USD $7.99 Buy It Now 4h 3m
Kenny Dale When It's Just You And Me / If The World Should Ever 7" 45 rpm NM USD $6.00 Buy It Now 4h 3m
ETHER IF YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW 3 TRACK CD SINGLE DIGIPACK 5A USD $2.75 Buy It Now 4h 5m
LEMAR IF THERE'S ANY JUSTICE CD1 CD SINGLE 8G USD $2.70 Buy It Now 4h 5m
Ground Is Rushing Up to Meet Us 2004 by IF HOPE DIES - Disc Only No Case USD $3.01 Buy It Now 4h 6m

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Review by apps79
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Review by Matti
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"