IF

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

If 5If 5
Imports 2016
IfIf
Hangar 1018 2004

MARDI GRAS GIRL I'VE GOT NEWS FOR YOU / IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU bell 1270..... 45rpm USD $7.92 Buy It Now 2h 29m
Jon Gunn If You Wish It/Let The Heartaches Begin 45 RPM Deram Records EX USD $28.00 Buy It Now 2h 29m
MIGHTY REDEEMERS: The Name Jesus / If You Need Jesus 45 (dj) Black Gospel USD $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 30m
BOBBY DARIN IF I WERE A CARPENTER / RAININ' 584051 ex+ .....45rpm pop / single USD $14.00 Buy It Now 2h 30m
Strobe ?- As If By Magic (RAMPANT STOMP) (OLD SKOOL/HARDCORE)(VG COND) USD $10.34 Buy It Now 2h 30m
78 RPM Record Columbia Cab Calloway 36894 The Honeydripper / If This Isn't Love USD $19.95 Buy It Now 2h 30m
RUBY TURNER EP IF YOU'RE READY jive 109 g/f n/m see inside USD $7.92 Buy It Now 2h 32m
ROCKY SHARPE REPLAYS IF YOU WANNA BE HAPPY polydor 560.... EX+........ 45rpm USD $7.92 Buy It Now 2h 32m
TERRAPLANE IF THAT'S WHAT IT TAKES / LIVING AFTER DARK ....... 45rpm / rock USD $7.92 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Jess Moskaluke - Catch Me If You Can - NEW CD USD $4.87 [0 bids]
If You Could See Me Now 0824046016227 by Sarah Vaughan, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P USD $5.49 Buy It Now 2h 32m
HAROLD MELVIN IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME BY NOW not northern soul not rare BUT ex+ USD $7.92 Buy It Now 2h 32m
IF - 3 - CD NEW+ USD $19.18 Buy It Now 2h 33m
If I Were Britania I'D Waive The Rules - Budgie (2011, CD New) USD $20.83 Buy It Now 2h 33m
IF - 2 - CD NEW+ USD $19.18 Buy It Now 2h 33m
BILLY ECKSTINE: Boulevard of Broken Dreams/ If I Can Help Somebody (45) - NM USD $2.95 Buy It Now 2h 33m
IF - 4 CD NEW+ USD $14.64 Buy It Now 2h 33m
RICKY MORVAN & FENS: Bey Bey Baby / If You Try 45 (repro) Rockabilly USD $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 33m
IF CD NEW+ USD $19.18 Buy It Now 2h 34m
If He Dies If If If If If If - Jerusalem In My Heart (2015, Vinyl New) USD $27.52 Buy It Now 2h 35m
NIGHT OWL BAND: Lay That Rhythm Down / If You Got What You Want 45 Soul USD $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 36m
78 RPM Record - He's A Devil In His Home Town b/w If They Only Move Old Ireland USD $15.96 Buy It Now 2h 36m
T.G.I.F. by Fattburger (CD, May-2001, Shanachie Records) USD $4.90 [0 bids]
USD $6.90 Buy It Now
JIMMY SOUL--PICTURE SLEEVE ONLY---(IF YOU WANNA BE HAPPY)--PS--PIC--SLV USD $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Stylistics: Funky Weekend / If You Are There [Unplayed Copy] USD $6.97 Buy It Now 2h 39m
DAVID CROSBY-IF I COULD ONLY REMEMBER MY NAME-JAPAN MINI LP CD Ltd/Ed F25 USD $23.50 Buy It Now 2h 40m
As If Apart * by Chris Cohen (CD, May-2016, Captured Tracks) USD $4.99 [0 bids]
THE 8TH DAY: If I Could See The Light (45) - Ships WORLDWIDE! USD $2.95 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Mickey Gilley BOUQUET OF ROSES / IF YOU WERE MINE TO LOOSE 45 RPM USD $0.99 [0 bids]
USD $1.30 Buy It Now
Endpoint - if the spirits are willing CD ORIGINAL SLAMDEK USD $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 42m
INCUBUS Light Grenandes PHOTO Print POSTER Band If Not Now, When? Fungus 003 USD $4.25 Buy It Now 2h 42m
INCUBUS Light Grenandes PHOTO Print POSTER Band If Not Now, When? Fungus 003 USD $6.08 Buy It Now 2h 42m
INCUBUS Light Grenandes PHOTO Print POSTER Band If Not Now, When? Fungus 003 USD $18.25 Buy It Now 2h 42m
INCUBUS If Not Now, When? 2011 World Tour PHOTO Print POSTER Fungus Amongus 004 USD $4.25 Buy It Now 2h 42m
INCUBUS If Not Now, When? 2011 World Tour PHOTO Print POSTER Fungus Amongus 004 USD $6.08 Buy It Now 2h 42m
INCUBUS If Not Now, When? 2011 World Tour PHOTO Print POSTER Fungus Amongus 004 USD $18.25 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Jerusalem In My Heart - If He Dies If If If If If If [Vinyl New] USD $23.94 Buy It Now 2h 43m
Martika (Self titled) 1988 Coulmbia USA Toy Soldiers, If You're Tarzan S4 USD $5.50 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Even If We Try [7 inch Analog] Night Beds LP Record USD $8.50 Buy It Now 2h 46m
If I Were Britania I'D Waive The Rules - Budgie (CD Used Very Good) USD $13.31 Buy It Now 2h 46m
THE TEDDY BEARS YOU SAID GOODBYE/IF YOU ONLY KNEW IMPERIAL 5581 M- USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
If There's A Hell Below [VINYL] Black Milk Vinyl USD $39.41 Buy It Now 2h 47m
The Saw doctors - If This is Rock and Roll,i want My old Job Back USD $4.86 [1 bids]
If Not Now When, New Music USD $10.82 Buy It Now 2h 49m
BLOSSOM TOES: If Only For A Moment LP (UK, 2 LPs, 180 gram reissue, 2011 repres USD $35.00 Buy It Now 2h 50m
Hanson ?- If Only Cat No. 562 751-2 Cd Single USD $1.21 [0 bids]
New York Sleeze "If It Don't Turn You On..." Disco Funk 12" Tacky mp3 USD $19.69 [7 bids]
THE WONDERSTUFF - IF THE BEATLES HAD READ HUNTER...THE SINGLES (COMPACT DISC) USD $1.70 [0 bids]
SHOTGUN SYMPHONY What If CD 1996 New Jersey rock USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 52m
Marc Almond, Stories if johnny,..double pack vinyl single USD $2.42 [0 bids]
THE SNAPPERS BIG BILL/IF THERE WERE 20TH FOX 148 M- USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 54m
Johnny Rivers If You Want It I Got It Record Vinyl LP USD $3.80 [0 bids]
USD $4.99 Buy It Now
Reba What If It's You CD USD $5.95 Buy It Now 2h 56m
Etta Jones Don't Go To Strangers / If I Had You 45 1960 Jazz RVG Prestige vg/vg+ USD $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 56m
ANNE G. ""IF SHE KNEW/TIME'S UP"" 1989 HEAR!! USD $3.00 Buy It Now 2h 56m
If You Knew Suzi Suzi Quatro~1978 Soft Rock Cassette~Rock And Roll Hoochie Koo USD $4.45 Buy It Now 2h 57m
HOT*THE FUNK GROUP SEALED LP*IF THAT'S THE WAY YOU WANT IT*FREE SHIP* USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 58m
BLUE IF YOU COME BACK CARDSLEEVE 1TRK PROMO SINGLE CD USD $5.25 Buy It Now 3h
BACK 2 BACK IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW 4TRK SINGLE CD USD $9.99 Buy It Now 3h
NEIL REID IF I COULD WRITE A SONG TOP1691 EP xd2008 USD $0.99 [0 bids]
BEATLES IF I FELL X6283 EP xd2801 USD $7.99 [0 bids]
3h
ANITA WARD IF I COULD FEEL THAT OLD FEELING AGAIN 06SP333 EP xd3555 USD $0.99 [0 bids]
3h
PAUL SIMON WITH URUBAMBA EL CONDOR PASA (IF I COULD) 06SP37 EP xd2812 USD $0.99 [0 bids]
BRENDA LEE IF YOU LOVE ME D1032 EP xd2661 USD $0.99 [0 bids]
BEATLES IF I FEEL AR1145 EP xd3018 USD $7.99 [0 bids]
3h
DANIEL BEDINGFIELD IF YOU´RE NOT THE ONE 1trk promo SINGLE CD USD $5.64 Buy It Now 3h
Mel Street If This Is Having A Good Time/Close Enough For Lonesome 45 RPM USD $7.00 Buy It Now 3h
Olivia Newton-John: If You Love Me, Let Me Know - 8 Track Tape Cartridge USD $17.99 Buy It Now 3h 2m
BON GARCON - IF YOU NEED A MAN CD SINGLE OLIVER CHEATHAM SAMPLE 2TRX INDIE R USD $14.99 [1 bids]
AC/DC, IF YOU WANT BLOOD YOU'VE GOT IT, 1978, VERY GOOD+ CONDITION USD $12.17 [0 bids]
MICHAEL BALL - IF EVERYONE WAS LISTENING - NEW CD!! USD $8.51 [0 bids]
MENTAL AS ANYTHING - IF YOU LEAVE ME CAN I COME TOO? / USED VINYL LP / 1982 A USD $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 4m
JLO JENNIFER LOPEZ IF YOU HAD MY LOVE CARDSLEEVE 2TRK SINGLE CD USD $6.35 Buy It Now 3h 4m
JON SECADA IF YOU GO 1TRK PROMO SINGLE CD USD $6.35 Buy It Now 3h 4m
Val Doonican, If I Knew Then What I Know Now, 7" single ,1968. USD $2.62 Buy It Now 3h 5m
Z. Z. HILL 45 If I Could Do It All Over / You Won't Hurt No More - NM USD $6.00 Buy It Now 3h 6m
LIBBIE IF I TELL YOU SINGLE CD USD $6.38 Buy It Now 3h 7m
KAREN RAMIREZ IF WE TRY (SILK´S DISCO ANTHEM RADIO EDIT) 1TRK PROMO SINGLE CD USD $6.35 Buy It Now 3h 7m
KAREN RAMIREZ IF WE TRY 1TRK PROMO SINGLE CD USD $6.35 Buy It Now 3h 7m
Manic Street Preachers / If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next USD $1.22 Buy It Now 3h 8m
TEN YEARS AFTER "LOVE LIKE A MAN" / "IF YOU SHOULD LOVE ME" 7" 45 ALVIN LEE USD $7.49 Buy It Now 3h 9m
If It Was Up Your Ass You'd Know It - Circle 9 (CD) USD $3.98 Buy It Now 3h 9m
SUGAR - If I Can't Change Your Mind - 1992 USA 4 TRACK CD USD $1.83 Buy It Now 3h 10m
SONNY KNIGHT 45 Need Your Love So Bad / If I May VG++ Soul PROMO Popcorn w6272 USD $16.00 Buy It Now 3h 12m
You Might Be a Redneck If... by Jeff Foxworthy (CD, Jun-1993, Warner Bros.) USD $5.49 Buy It Now 3h 14m
TRANQUILITY BASE if you're lookin / fun 7" VG+ 74-0330 Canada 1970 Psych 45 USD $200.00 Buy It Now 3h 14m
Beth Nielsen Chapman - If Love Could Say God' (NEW DVD) USD $19.78 Buy It Now 3h 15m
ELLERINE HARDING-MAINSTREAM DJ COPY IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD ITS ALL RIGHT NM USD $7.00 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Even If & Specially When USD $13.67 Buy It Now 3h 17m
Jennifer Lopez If You Had My Love rare import CD Single (card sleeve) USD $1.57 Buy It Now 3h 18m
The Staple Singers Love comes in all colors/If you're ready 7" vinyl Stax USD $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 18m
If I Had A Boat - Jimmy & Klein,Moondi Gaudreau (2014, CD New) USD $11.93 Buy It Now 3h 19m
L. I. F. E. - D.Hate (2015, CD New) USD $16.07 Buy It Now 3h 19m
If My Heart Had Wings - Melissa Manchester (CD 1995) LN Promo Fast FREE Shipping USD $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 20m
MN8 / If You Only Let Me In USD $1.22 Buy It Now 3h 20m
If I Could Only Remember My Name - Crosby,David (2006, CD New) USD $21.99 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Ian Matthews - If You Saw Thro My Eyes (NEW CD) USD $13.69 Buy It Now 3h 21m
JIMMIE DAWSON: Hot Tamale Wagon / If I Can't Have You 45 Country USD $35.00 Buy It Now 3h 22m

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Review by apps79
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Review by Matti
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"