IF

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

Repertoire 2006
Fibonaccis Number / More Live IfFibonaccis Number / More Live If
Import · Remastered
Repertoire 2010
Not Just Another Bunch of Pretty Face / Tea Break's Over, Back On Your Heads By If (0001-01-01)Not Just Another Bunch of Pretty Face / Tea Break's Over, Back On Your Heads By If (0001-01-01)
Sunrise

So What If I'm Standing in Apricot Jam [Slipcase] by Howard Eynon. USD $24.41 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Mood Swings/If There Was a Time by Harem Scarem. USD $16.48 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Pacha Massive - If You Want It (CD New) USD $12.84 Buy It Now 2h 36m
TALK OF THE TOWN If We Got the Will (stereo / mono) 45 TSOP PROMO 1975 USD $3.00 Buy It Now 2h 37m
the rolling stones got live if you want it london LL3493 mono 1R/1P boxed maroon USD $39.00 Buy It Now 2h 45m
MARTI WEBB - IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW CD NEW+ USD $13.26 Buy It Now 2h 45m
ROLLING STONES-GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT!-JAPAN SHM-CD Ltd/Ed C65 USD $14.50 Buy It Now 2h 46m
JOHN WALKER IF I PROMISE / 7INCH PS EP 33RPM USD $299.99 Buy It Now 2h 48m
George Strait If I Know Me b/w Home In San Antone 1991 MCA Country 45rpm New NM USD $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 51m
If You Take My Hand My Son - Grist Mill (2005, CD New) USD $16.64 Buy It Now 2h 54m
C.Q.C.'S. IF YOU AIN'T GOT NO MONEY WAKE UP / FUNK USD $79.99 Buy It Now 2h 55m
JOHN WALKER IF I PROMISE / 7INCH PS EP USD $199.99 Buy It Now 2h 55m
IAN MATTHEWS IF YOU SAW THRO MY EYES / VERTIGO JAPAN OB USD $399.99 Buy It Now 2h 57m
RED VINYL / JOANIE SOMMERS IF YOU LOVE HIM / 7INCH 45RPM USD $99.99 Buy It Now 3h
YVONNE ELLIMAN Night Flight LP STILL SEALED, not a cutout ~"If I Can't Have You" USD $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 6m
Moments ~45~ If I Didn't Care ~ Stang 5016 ~ M- USD $4.95 Buy It Now 3h 7m
If It Were You We'D Never Leave - Andrew Bayer (CD Used Very Good) USD $10.26 Buy It Now 3h 12m
Tracy Lawrence If The World Had A Front Porch Compilation Album CD - New Sealed USD $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 13m
THE SCREAMING MEEMEES If This Is Paradise I'll Take The Bag Vinyl Record SIGNED USD $114.95 Buy It Now 3h 14m
Carlene Carter : Do Me Lover - If The Shoe Fits : BEAT : XX 16 : Picture Sleeve USD $4.71 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Elaine Paige : If You Don't Want My Love : WEA Records : K 18966 USD $3.47 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Joe Dolce ( Music Theatre ) : If You Want To Be Happy - Ain't Been Missing You USD $3.47 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Sexy 1959 Cover BACHELOR Pad LP MIND IF I MAKE LOVE TO YOU Pete King WARNER Issu USD $7.50 Buy It Now 3h 15m
ADAM WADE As If I Didn't Know 7" 45 RPM Vinyl 1961 Coed Records CO-553 Jazz Pop USD $0.99 [0 bids]
KARUTETTO (Quartet) - L.I.F.E. 2 - Japan CD - NEW LIFE2 USD $17.09 Buy It Now 3h 21m
K.N.I.F.E - HAMMER SWEAT&TEARS Japan CD Namida wo fuite USD $15.90 Buy It Now 3h 21m
ALAN PARSONS PROJECT Eve 1990 Arista JAPAN CD Damned if I Do 70s Rock 1979 USD $11.98 Buy It Now 3h 22m
Souichiro Hoshi Argento Soma if For the Future Lovers - Japan CD - NEW USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 25m
James, Alfred Band Lucky If Easy CD USD $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 31m
MICHAEL McDONALD_If That's What It Tak_used VINYL LP album_ships from AUS!_shF3r USD $23.00 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Bobby Darin - If I Were A Carpenter 1966 7" Atlantic 584051 USD $4.35 Buy It Now 3h 48m
If I Can Dream Elvis Presley.......(Format: Audio CD) USD $14.75 Buy It Now 3h 55m
ARTIE GOLDEN & MIGHTY TROJANS: If I Could See My Baby / Goodbye My Love 45 (Swa USD $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 58m
THE FOUR BARS JOSIE Joz 768 If I Give My Heart to You 78 RPM USD $40.00 Buy It Now 3h 59m
BUDGIE "IF I WERE BRITTANIA I'D WAIVE THE RULES" (JAPAN, OBI) USD $129.99 Buy It Now 4h 2m
The Kaye Sisters - If Only Tomorrow 1962 7" Philips PB 1208 USD $4.35 Buy It Now 4h 6m
Spiller Groovejet (If This Aint Love) Cd Single Sophie Ellis-Bextor USD $1.23 Buy It Now 4h 16m
David Whitfield with The Roland Shaw If I Lost You 10" 78 Rpm Record USD $11.19 Buy It Now 4h 38m
PASTOR O.E. PIPER SERMON ON JOB'S QUESTION - IF A MAN DIE SHALL HE LIVE AGAIN ! USD $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 39m
NEW If You Could Read My Mind (Audio CD) USD $18.36 Buy It Now 4h 44m
John Rowles - If I Only Had Time - 7" Inch 45 Vinyl Single - MCA 1968 USD $6.20 Buy It Now 4h 53m
If I Ever Lose My Faith in You / January Stars by Sting USD $4.23 Buy It Now 5h 3m
TOM JONES Detroit City/If I Had You UK 7" VG+ Cond USD $4.96 Buy It Now 5h 4m
STING CD"IF ON A WINTERS NIGHT"SIGNED BY STING USD $75.00 Buy It Now 5h 10m
STING MUSIC CD"IF ON A WINTERS NIGHT"SIGNED BY STING USD $75.00 Buy It Now 5h 10m
ROD STEWART - If loving you is wrong - 7" Single EX Con USD $2.85 Buy It Now 5h 11m
Ted Nugent - If You Can't Lick 'Em...Lick 'Em CD 2001 NEW SEALED USD $3.10 Buy It Now 5h 15m
If You Leave - Eleanor Mcevoy (CD Used Very Good) USD $15.36 Buy It Now 5h 19m
Margie Rayburn - I''m Available / If You Were - Liberty Records 45 RPM - 1957 USD $7.50 Buy It Now 5h 23m
UNA STUBBS IF YOU CAN DANCE YOU CAN DO IT + poster 1982 UK LP/Vinyl RMP 2077 USD $3.72 Buy It Now 5h 24m
Chuck Jackson - If You Were My Woman - All Platinum - 7" Vinyl - Northern Soul USD $4.97 [0 bids]
Edward Ball - If a Man Ever Loved a Woman - Music CD USD $6.15 Buy It Now 5h 34m
The Raunch Hands - Got Hate If You Want It CD 10 Tracks Alternative Rock NEW+ USD $25.63 Buy It Now 5h 39m
JANET JACKSON * 45 * If * 1993 * UNPLAYED MINT * USA ORIGINAL VIRGIN * SUPREMES USD $8.00 Buy It Now 5h 46m
2Pac I Wonder if Heaven Got a Ghetto SEALED IMPORT 2 CD PROMO TUPAC RAP nwa lp USD $25.00 Buy It Now 5h 47m
If You Can't Lick 'Em?Lick 'Em Ted Nugent USD $12.37 Buy It Now 5h 50m
Peggy Lee - The Man I Love & If You Go (CD, 1997) USD $8.82 Buy It Now 5h 50m
Smokey- if you think you know how to love me 7" vinyl record clock gift USD $12.42 Buy It Now 5h 52m
jane morgan/if only i could live my life again USD $1.24 [0 bids]
Eleanor McEvoy - If You Leave 180g Vinyl LP USD $31.07 Buy It Now 5h 54m
FREE US SH (int'l sh=$0-$3) USED,MINT CD Motion City Soundtrack: Even If It Kill USD $7.05 Buy It Now 5h 54m
FAMILY TREE If we Abide LP XIAN CHRISTIAN FOLK 1975 still sealed!! USD $9.97 Buy It Now 6h
If I Were a Carpenter [A&M] by Various Artists (CD, Sep-1994, A&M) USD $5.25 Buy It Now 6h
Japan Red Vinyl IF Soft Machine FREE SHIPPING USD $38.00 Buy It Now 6h 2m
Eloise Laws - If I Don't Watch Out - 70s Soul - MP3 USD $18.65 Buy It Now 6h 5m
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN "LUCKY TOWN" CASSETTE 1992 BETTER DAYS IF I SHOULD FALL BEHIND USD $2.99 Buy It Now 6h 7m
Mindy McCready - If I Don't Stay the Night (1997) USD $1.73 [0 bids]
BREAD If VG+(+) 45 RPM REISSUE USD $3.00 Buy It Now 6h 11m
Five If Ya Gettin' Down Made In The EU CD Single Rare 1999 Everyday Invincible USD $7.28 Buy It Now 6h 18m
2/9/89Pgn24 Advert: Big Bam Boo New Single 'if You Could See Me Now' 7x11 USD $8.70 Buy It Now 6h 28m
18/7/87PN16 ADVERT: HONEY IF DEBUT SINGLE BY APPLE MOSIAC & UK TOUR 7X11 USD $8.70 Buy It Now 6h 28m
Agnetha Faltskog If I Thought You'd Ever Change Your Mind 3 track rare CD single USD $19.21 Buy It Now 6h 30m
THE SMOKE IF THE WEATHER IS SUNNY FRENCH ORIG EP 45 PS 7" USD $99.00 Buy It Now 6h 33m
THE RUBINOOS-If I Had You Back/The Magic's Back 7" Made In Italy VG+ Cond USD $14.99 Buy It Now 6h 39m
AC/DC - If You Want Blood You Got It 180g vinyl LP NEW/SEALED ACDC AC DC USD $23.56 Buy It Now 6h 39m
Sydney Youngblood, If only I could 7" vinyl single USD $1.24 [0 bids]
Michelle Shocked UK 12 If Love Was a Train USD $8.49 Buy It Now 6h 48m
MARC DORSEY ~ If You Really Wanna Know 12" Single PROMO USD $7.46 Buy It Now 6h 50m
FIREHOSE - IF'N VINYL LP NEW+ USD $30.65 Buy It Now 6h 52m
JOE DOLCE If You Want To Be Happy 7" VINYL UK Epic 1981 Demo B/w Ain't Been USD $6.20 Buy It Now 6h 54m
BRAKES (INDIE GROUP) Ring A Ding Ding 7" VINYL UK Rough Trade 2005 B/W If I USD $5.21 Buy It Now 6h 54m
SARAH DASH Oo La La Too Soon 7" VINYL Italian Epic 1980 B/w If You Don't Play I USD $3.90 Buy It Now 6h 54m
JOHNNY RODRIGUEZ I Wonder If I Ever Said Goodbye 7" VINYL US Mercury 1976 B/w I USD $3.90 Buy It Now 6h 54m
TERRY O'CONNEL AND HIS PILOTS If You Give Me One More Try 7" VINYL European El USD $11.05 Buy It Now 6h 54m
LEE GODDEN If This Is True 7" VINYL UK Chart 1984 B/W Dance Mix (Cr001) USD $5.21 Buy It Now 6h 54m
APPLE MOSAIC Honey If 7" VINYL UK Mdm 1987 Limited Edition Unopened In Original USD $8.07 Buy It Now 6h 54m
PAULA DESMOND If It Feels Good 7" VINYL UK Flamingo 1980 A Label Design USD $6.20 Buy It Now 6h 54m
FLORIDA SUN If Dreams Come True 7" VINYL UK Sparkle 1984 B/W Crazy Daisy (Spk1) USD $5.21 Buy It Now 6h 54m
DEKE RIVERS AND THE HANSEN BROTHERS If It Wasn't For Elvis 7" VINYL US Paul USD $3.90 Buy It Now 6h 54m
DAVID WHITFIELD If I Lost You 7" VINYL UK Decca No Centre B/W The Adoration USD $2.60 Buy It Now 6h 54m
CHANGE (70'S GROUP) Ruby Baby 7" VINYL UK Emi 1975 Demo B/W If I (Emi2308) USD $6.20 Buy It Now 6h 54m
WHISTLER (INDIE GROUP) If I Give You A Smile 7" VINYL UK Wiiija 1998 2 Track In USD $2.97 Buy It Now 6h 54m
DE VIRPSHA If You Want It 7" VINYL UK Blue Dog 1998 Blue Dog Singles Club Issue USD $3.90 Buy It Now 6h 54m
MELBA MOORE I Am His Lady 7" VINYL US Buddah 1975 B/W If I Lose (Bda452) USD $2.60 Buy It Now 6h 54m
28IF Top Of The Pops 7" VINYL UK Diva 1991 B/W Instrumental (Diva4) USD $6.20 Buy It Now 6h 54m
FARINA Two People 7" VINYL UK Pickled Egg 1999 3 Track B/W If She Should Blame USD $3.90 Buy It Now 6h 54m
RON FRANCOIS If You Love Me 7" VINYL UK Cbs 1982 Promo B/W I Like It (Cbsa2322) USD $6.20 Buy It Now 6h 54m
BIM BAM BOO If You Could See Me Now 7" VINYL UK Mca 1989 B/w I'm Gone (mca1321) USD $6.20 Buy It Now 6h 54m
FLORIDA SUN If Dreams Come True 7" VINYL UK Sparkle 1984 B/W Crazy Daisy But USD $3.90 Buy It Now 6h 54m
CYRIL DAGWORTH PLAYERS I'll Come If You Want Me 7" VINYL UK Pye 1976 B/W The USD $3.90 Buy It Now 6h 54m

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Review by apps79
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Review by Matti
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"