IF

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

Import · Remastered
Repertoire 2010
IfIf
Hangar 1018 2004

SMASHING PUMPKINS If All Goes Wrong DVD DOUBLE All Regions SEALED Digipack USD $8.90 Buy It Now
What If It All Means Something by Chantal Kreviazuk (CD) Canada/Lilith Fare/Pop USD $3.99 Buy It Now
Hear! Jazz 78 Ben Pollack - I'M Dependable (You Can Count On Me) / If You Ever S USD $20.00 Buy It Now
Hear! Doo Wop 78 Bobby Chandler - I'M Serious / If You Love'D Me On Oj USD $20.00 Buy It Now
Hear! Jazz 78 Will Osborne - Get Rhythm In Your Feet / If You Want My Heart On P USD $20.00 Buy It Now
DAVID USHER - IF GOD HAD CURVES - CD USD $11.94 Buy It Now
MIKE KIM & LOXI doowop 45 BILLY BROWN b/w AM IF THE FOOL on FOREST GREEN e7786 USD $16.00 Buy It Now
GARY PUCKETT & UNION GAP - Over You / If The Day Would Come - 1968 VG+ CANADA 45 USD $1.47 Buy It Now
VINTAGE 45RPM "NEVER BEEN IN LOVE BEFORE / IF I WERE A BELL" DECCA27232(7) USD $2.99 Buy It Now
The JAY-JAYS "Got Love If You Want It" 45 Dutch Punk / R&B 1966 USD $20.00 [0 bids]
HMV. B.D. 330 Sam Browne Rhythm Sisters (If I Had) Rhythm in My Nursery Rhymes USD $2.99 [0 bids]
ROCK LP - BUDGIE - IF I WERE BRITTANIA I'D WAIVE THE RULES (1976) A USD $24.99 Buy It Now
If Lute Could Speak ... New CD USD $16.35 Buy It Now
If We Had Brains...We'd Be Dangerous New CD USD $10.30 Buy It Now
SPECTRUM Private Modern Soul Funk Boogie "Let's Fall In Love / If You..." VG+ USD $49.99 Buy It Now
JEANNINE My Mama Says No / I Wonder If You Love Me 45 Pop LUCKY RECORDS #527 USD $20.00 Buy It Now
Soul 45~SMOKEY ROBINSON & THE MIRACLES~If You Can Want/ When Words~Tamla USD $5.99 Buy It Now
TOMMY SHAW (Styx) "Whst If" 1985 (A&M).Great!! USD $4.99 Buy It Now
(2) 5th Dimension 45 RPMs- Aquarius Let The Sunshine In- If I Could Reach You USD $1.00 Buy It Now
Mario Lanza "If You Are But a Dream" SEALED LP USD $4.95 [0 bids]
STATUS QUO If You Can't Stand The Heat LP Die-Cut Gatefold. Excellent Condition USD $18.64 Buy It Now
Henry VIII: If Love Now Reigned [4011563101321] New CD USD $20.19 Buy It Now
Bangles - If She Knew What She Wants SHAPED PICTURE DISC 1986 NEW USD $39.50 Buy It Now
(If) [782388059626] New CD USD $14.81 Buy It Now
If Tomorrow Comes... [PA] New CD USD $10.41 Buy It Now
What If Someone Is Watching Their T.V.? New CD USD $16.48 Buy It Now
If This Is Heaven [Digipak] New CD USD $13.96 Buy It Now
If on a Winter's Night... [Digipak] New CD USD $12.64 Buy It Now
HUGH MASEKELA From Me To You / If I Needed Someone [45] MGM K13647 NM PROMO! USD $5.00 Buy It Now
CHAD & JEREMY If I Loved You / Donna Donna [45 Record] World Artists WA-1041 USD $3.80 Buy It Now
DANE COOK HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED VINYL LP NEW MINT 10TH ANNIVERSARY USD $18.00 Buy It Now
MANFRED MANN 'If You Gotta Go, Go Now' (Bob Dylan) 45 Denmark USD $12.00 [1 bids]
Peg Delaney Trio, If I Had You, Excellent Single USD $7.61 Buy It Now
STING (THE POLICE) If You Love Somebody Single 12"4 Track Vinyl Record 1985 USD $11.21 Buy It Now
DELLA REESE: IF IT FEELS GO, DO IT; 1972 AVCO 4586 VG++ NORTHERN SOUL PROMO 45 USD $11.00 Buy It Now
If I Could Be With You - Standards & Rarities Volume 2 Perry Como Audio CD USD $18.57 Buy It Now
If the Rains Come First [Digipak] New CD USD $12.86 Buy It Now
The Mama's and the Papa's "If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears" LP MAMA CASS USD $9.88 Buy It Now
Live Onstage... If You Want It [Digipak] * New CD USD $18.00 Buy It Now
If You Can Believe Your Eyes & Ears USD $8.53 Buy It Now
If Wishes Were Horses New CD USD $14.17 Buy It Now
If This Isn't a Dream... 1985-1989 New CD USD $14.04 Buy It Now
If You Need Me / Rock N Soul USD $15.26 Buy It Now
If Not Now, When? USD $9.53 Buy It Now
ELOISE LAWS "YOU ARE EVERYTHING / IF I DON'T WATCH OUT" 45/wPS MINT USD $3.00 Buy It Now
If I were a bird New CD USD $17.98 Buy It Now
Via Crucis [Biber, Heinrich I. F. v.] New CD USD $10.23 Buy It Now
If I Had a Hi-Fi [Digipak] New CD USD $7.47 Buy It Now
Fibonaccis Number/More Live If [Bonus Tracks] New CD USD $10.20 Buy It Now
If I Had One Chance to Tell You Something by Rebecca St. James (CD, Nov-2005, F. USD $6.25 Buy It Now
If (Blue) Then (Blue) [Digipak] New CD USD $26.75 Buy It Now
If Everyday' New CD USD $17.03 Buy It Now
If You're Irish [606041335622] New CD USD $16.80 Buy It Now
If Time Stood Still [Digipak] New CD USD $11.11 Buy It Now
If I Can Dream: Elvis Presley with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra USD $12.30 Buy It Now
As If New CD USD $34.05 Buy It Now
New! "AND IF THE SONG BE WORTH A SMILE" (SACD, 2009) Super Audio CD ***SEALED*** USD $13.88 Buy It Now
If You're Happy and You Know It [Fisher-Price] [Digipak] New CD USD $13.35 Buy It Now
Chris Rea: Fool If You Think It's over, the Definitive Greatest Hits, good USD $6.99 Buy It Now
Gary Buck RCA 74-0826 If I'm A Fool For Leaving USD $4.50 Buy It Now
Icicle Works LP Vinyl Record Lot of 2 Self Titled + If You Want to Defeat Your.. USD $15.30 Buy It Now
LES BROWN~IF I HAD THE MONEY~ORIGINAL JOE~CAPITOL 3655~RARE PROMO ~SOUL~ R&B 45 USD $12.99 Buy It Now
If You're Going Through Hell Rodney Atkins (CD, 2006) Curb Records USD $3.58 Buy It Now
FIREFLY If You Ever Stopped Callin' Me Baby (part 1 / part 2) 45 A USD $4.00 Buy It Now
Peter Nero, If Ever I Would Leave You, 8-Track Tape, Tested USD $2.49 Buy It Now
CELINE DION IF YOU ASKED ME TO & WHERE DOES MY JUKEBOX 45 MINT WITH TITLE STRIP USD $4.99 [0 bids]
Barbara Roy Extasy Passion Pain 45 I'VE GOT YOU / IF YOU WANT ME ~ Roy B VG+ r USD $2.72 Buy It Now
VIRGIL GRIFFIN & THE RHYTHM KINGS~IF YOU CAN'T GO DON'T~REGINALD 1403 ~ R&B 45 USD $29.99 Buy It Now
45 Vince Martin-Tarriers/Cindy oh Cin/Only if you praise the Lord/APEX/VG++ HEAR USD $7.54 Buy It Now
RAY CHARLES & JIMMY LEWIS "IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK" 45 RPM USD $4.99 Buy It Now
45 RPM RECORD/7) BOBBY GOLDSBORO / IF YOU WAIT FOR LOVE USD $4.00 Buy It Now
BEE BOPS 45 If You Love Me / Wandering Blue MOD BEAT Garage 2 SIDER 1964 e4900 USD $18.00 Buy It Now
KAY BROWN I Like to Rock N roll slowly b/w If I had you 1958 POPCORN 45 e5927 USD $18.00 Buy It Now
GARY CRISS 45 Hands Off Buddy / If This.. NEAR MINT Mod Beat PROMO Popcorn e4936 USD $18.00 Buy It Now
Idina Menzel Holiday Wishes Signed Broadway Tony Music Flyer Pic CD Rent If/Then USD $49.19 Buy It Now
Mamas & the Papas,If you can Believe, 180 Gram Vinyl LP. Sealed USD $49.99 Buy It Now
ALAN JACKSON-What I Do- CD-If Love Was/River, Strong Enough-Library-NEVER PLAYED USD $12.88 Buy It Now
If You Don't Know Me by Now: The Best of Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes [8869770 USD $6.45 Buy It Now
And If Our God is For Us... New CD USD $17.37 Buy It Now
As/If/When [Digipak] New CD USD $18.67 Buy It Now
Triple Feature, Vol. 2: Borderline/If You See Her/Tight Rope [Digipak] New CD USD $14.51 Buy It Now
If It Rains New CD USD $21.30 Buy It Now
What If... [CD/DVD] [Digipak] New CD USD $15.81 Buy It Now
What If [Mr. Big] [4582213914658] New CD USD $15.39 Buy It Now
What If... [CD/DVD] [Bonus LP] [Limited Edition] [Box Set] New CD USD $30.51 Buy It Now
CECIL BARBER 45 You Can Make It If You Try NEAR MINT 1st Press POPCORN e6321 USD $24.00 Buy It Now
JEAN OWEN 45 Love is a mighty kingdom If I had my way 60's ? Mural POPCORN jr102 USD $24.00 Buy It Now
BLUE NOTES If You Love Me There's something in your eyes Eloise DOOWOP 45 mg616 USD $24.00 Buy It Now
CORNELL GUNTER wishful thinking 45 b/w if I had the key to your heart 1965 e7205 USD $24.00 Buy It Now
What If We Were Real New CD USD $13.98 Buy It Now

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Review by apps79
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Review by Matti
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"