IF

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

Repertoire 2006
If 3If 3
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered
Repertoire 2007
Oldies 7" 45 - Joe Cocker - Put Out The Light / If I Love You - A USD $2.84 [0 bids]
USD $3.75 Buy It Now
45 RPM 7" RECORD JIMMY SOUL IF U WANNA BE HAPPY / DON'T RELEASE ME USD $2.99 [0 bids]
45 RPM 7" RECORD GAYLE MCCORMICK ITS A CRYING SHAME. IF ONLY YOU BELIEVE USD $2.99 [0 bids]
45 RPM 7" RECORD COLPIX JAMES DARREN HER ROYAL MAJESTRY IF I COULD ONLY TELL ME USD $2.99 [0 bids]
Oldies 7" 45 - Johnny Adams - Reconsider Me / If I Could See You One More Time USD $2.84 [0 bids]
USD $3.75 Buy It Now
LUTHER INGRAM if loving you is wrong LP USD $18.00 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Mindy McCready IF I DON'T STAY THE NIGHT CD USD $0.99 [0 bids]
USD $2.99 Buy It Now
Connie Francis - If My Pillow Could Talk / You're The Only One That Can Hurt Me USD $3.79 Buy It Now 1h 30m
NEW - If We Can't Trust the Doctors by Blanche USD $15.58 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Esy Morales / Jimmy Saunders - Jungle Fantasy / If You Care For Me - Rainbow USD $36.96 Buy It Now 1h 34m
As If Forever Really Exists by Aria USD $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 36m
BOB DYLAN - NEW MORNING CD ~ IF NOT FOR YOU + 12 *NEW* USD $11.60 Buy It Now 1h 36m
BUBBLE PUPPY 45 If I Had a Reason / Beginning 1969 Promo ORIGINAL Psych NM #BB65 USD $15.00 [0 bids]
Blue Rhythm Boys - Come On If You'Re Comin' (CD New) USD $17.82 Buy It Now 1h 38m
Gordon Lightfoot "If You Could Read My Mind" & "Sit Down Young Stranger" 2 Vers. USD $17.50 Buy It Now 1h 40m
SAMMY DAVIS JR. white lbl MONO promo LP IF I RULED THE WORLD Reprise 60's Vocal USD $21.00 Buy It Now 1h 42m
RITA ROBBINS 45 If You Don't Somebody Else Will / The Hook RCA Country #A362 USD $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 42m
The World is a Beautiful Place TWIABP - Whenever, if Ever LP Newbury Comics /480 USD $14.99 [0 bids]
SINDY BROWN 45 If You Should Lose Me / Earth Angel PARADISE Reggae #A422 USD $16.00 Buy It Now 1h 44m
the CHARLES ELLIS TRIO If You Ever Need Someone AUTOGRAPHED pop disco bossa-nova USD $26.00 Buy It Now 1h 46m
THE FIVE KEYS 45 If You Only Knew ALADDIN Doo Wop PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED #BB1495 USD $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 50m
the FOUR BARS I If I Give My Heart To You Doo-Wop R&B vinyl 78 JOSIE 768 C1141 USD $18.00 Buy It Now 1h 50m
2PAC "DEAR MAMA/I WONDER IF HEAVEN GOT A GHETTO" REMIX 3 TRK CD SINGLE TUPAC USD $2.75 [5 bids]
the TRIUMVIRATE If At First You Don't Succeed RARE PRIVATE PRESS Folk LP USD $23.00 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Spanky And Our Gang - Making Every Minute Count / If You Could Only Be Me 45 VG+ USD $1.39 Buy It Now 1h 51m
You Might Be a Redneck If... by Jeff Foxworthy (CD, Jun-1993, Warner Bros.) USD $4.95 Buy It Now 1h 52m
BONNIE TYLER---IF I SANG YOU A LOVE SONG/HEAVEN USD $4.50 [0 bids]
The Cat in the Hat Songbook, If I Ran the Zoo & Dr. ... USD $49.99 Buy It Now 1h 54m
CALYPSO TRINIDAD SOCA 45 : LANCELOT LAYNE : IF I WERE KING USD $14.95 [1 bids]
Kool And The Gang . Ladies Night / If You Feel Like Dancin 1979 De-Lite . 45 rpm USD $1.99 [0 bids]
ROY ORBISON-CRAWLIN' BACK/IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING NICE-45 RPM 7" USD $9.74 Buy It Now 1h 58m
IF I DON'T STAY THE NIGHT BY MINDY McCREADY (CD, Nov-1997, BNA) DISC ONLY GUC USD $0.99 [0 bids]
2h
SUZIE QUATRO - IF YOU CAN'T GIVE ME LOVE ( SUPERB DUTCH-ONLY SLEEVE 7"PS ) USD $7.50 Buy It Now 2h 4m
JEWEL BROWN If You Have No Real Objections / I Must Be Dreaming VG USD $4.99 [0 bids]
USD $10.00 Buy It Now
Kevin Drew - Spirit If 2 LP Vinyl download code Broken Social Scene NEW 180 gram USD $19.99 [0 bids]
Peter Nero "If Ever I Leave You" Record Album RCA Camden CAS2228 USD $5.00 [0 bids]
USD $7.00 Buy It Now
MASAKI KANDA IF 1984 Made In Japan LP With Obi and Inner Booklet FUN / EMI Recrd USD $9.00 Buy It Now 2h 9m
If Every Day Was Like Christmas by Elvis Presley 2003 BMG Heritage Holiday Music USD $5.99 [0 bids]
USD $7.99 Buy It Now
EMI Sampler - EMISAMP/17 - If You Want It You Can Have It - Coldplay USD $2.74 Buy It Now 2h 17m
COLD BLOOD-YOU GOT ME HUMMIN/IF YOU WILL-SAN FRANCISCO-45-60 USD $2.00 [0 bids]
WHAM - THE BEST OF : IF YOU WERE THERE CD ~ GEORGE MICHAEL ~ GREATEST HITS *NEW* USD $9.31 Buy It Now 2h 25m
ME'SHELL NDEGEOCELLO If that's your boyfriend One cent pro cd USD $0.01 [0 bids]
LISA LISA AND THE CULT JAM can you feel the beat VG I wonder if One cent Vinyl USD $0.99 [1 bids]
Semisonic Great Divide If I Run Delicious Down in Flames Tempation Prize CD USD $3.99 [0 bids]
USD $5.19 Buy It Now
Blue / If You Come Back USD $1.56 Buy It Now 2h 43m
If My Heart Had Wings by Melissa Manchester (CD, Jan-1995, Atlantic (Label)) USD $0.75 [0 bids]
USD $1.99 Buy It Now
REV THEODIS HORTON Damned If I Go To Hell BAPTIST USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
TEEN SOUND - DISPOTO SISTERS - ARCHIBALD b/w IF U DON'T - ALMO INTER. - PROMO 45 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 47m
If the Ocean Gets Rough by Willy Mason *New CD* USD $8.43 Buy It Now 2h 48m
As If by Coope, Boyes & Simpson (CD, May-2010, No Masters Co-Operative) USD $15.33 Buy It Now 2h 48m
If You Miss 'Im...I Got 'Im by John Lee Hooker *New CD* USD $10.56 Buy It Now 2h 48m
I Wouldn't Change You If I Could by Carl Butler and the Webster Brot... *New CD* USD $17.13 Buy It Now 2h 48m
If the Jasmine Don't Get You the Bay Breeze Will by Vince Martin *New CD* USD $12.74 Buy It Now 2h 48m
If Wishes Were Horses by Blueboy *New CD* USD $10.33 Buy It Now 2h 48m
MIDGEURE LOT NEW WAVE / THE GIFT LP IF I WAS 12" THAT CERTAIN SMILE 12" USD $16.00 Buy It Now 2h 49m
Celine Dion The Power Of Love / If You Asked Me To CD + OBI 1993 Japan ESCA-5878 USD $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 52m
See If I Care by Gary Allan (SACD, Apr-2004, MCA Nashville) Mint! USD $16.38 [4 bids]
AC/DC "If You Want Blood You've Got It" (CD, 2003 Epic) [Remaster] USD $12.95 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Beyonce - If I Were A Boy - 2 Track CD Single [88697417512] (2008) USD $9.74 Buy It Now 2h 59m
If I Don't Stay the Night by Mindy McCready (CD) USD $5.50 Buy It Now 3h
C. L. CAMPBELL - Lola Records - "Hey! Mayor Daley, Man! & If" 45 RPM - VG USD $5.00 [0 bids]
45 JANIE FRICKE IF YOU COULD SEE ME NOW DO ME WITH LOVE USD $2.53 Buy It Now 3h 6m
THE 5TH DIMENSION If I Could Reach You / Tomorrow Belongs To The BELL 261 45 USD $1.99 Buy It Now 3h 6m
WHISTLE 'If You Don't Say' (3 versions/mixes) RARE unplayed CD PROMO ONLY 1991 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 8m
THE PRETENDERS for 007, IF THERE WAS A MAN 1987, 7" record USD $10.00 Buy It Now 3h 25m
Chicago If You Leave Me Now LP Album Columbia Records PC 38590 VG USD $4.00 [0 bids]
LP- R.W. CROUCH & THE BUM STEERS If You Divorce Me Baby Who'll Get the Truck NEW USD $12.95 [0 bids]
Terence Trent D'Arby - If You Let me Stay - 1987 picture sleeve 7" single 45rpm USD $4.89 Buy It Now 3h 36m
Jimmy & Johnny - If You Don't, Somebody Else Will - Hillbilly/Boogie/Honky Tonk USD $22.91 Buy It Now 3h 36m
If Anything - Greys (2014, CD New) USD $12.89 Buy It Now 3h 37m
If Anything - Greys (2014, Vinyl New) USD $19.71 Buy It Now 3h 37m
"Born To Dance" Soundtrack UNOPENED Record Album C.I.F. 3001 USD $7.00 [0 bids]
USD $10.00 Buy It Now
WEIRD WAR, IF YOU CAN'T BEAT EM BITE EM, NEW CD USD $14.63 Buy It Now 3h 45m
GORDON LIGHTFOOT If You Could Read My Mind LP nMINT GER 1973 Reprise w/ Inner Sl USD $15.62 Buy It Now 3h 51m
AC/DC If You Want Blood A2/B1 PLAYS EX!! DECENT VG+ COPY! ORIGINAL 1978 UK LP USD $7.80 [1 bids]
IV THIEVES - IF WE CANT ESCAPE MY NEW CD USD $16.15 Buy It Now 3h 54m
If Your Girl Only Knew [Single] by Aaliyah (Cassette, Aug-1996,... USD $4.50 [0 bids]
USD $6.00 Buy It Now
4h
If You've Ever Been in Love [Single] by Intrigue (Cassette, Sep-1996, GRG... USD $0.99 [0 bids]
USD $1.29 Buy It Now
4h
Olivia Newton-John-If Not For You/The Biggest Clown-UNI 55281 VG 45 USD $4.99 [0 bids]
USD $6.99 Buy It Now
If I Should Love Again Barry Manilow LP USD $5.00 Buy It Now 4h 3m
38 Special/If I'd Been The One - w/picture sleeve USD $2.62 Buy It Now 4h 4m
O.N.I.F.C. by Wiz Khalifa *New CD* USD $7.61 Buy It Now 4h 7m
?1927 - IF I COULD - 7" 45 VINYL RECORD - 1988? USD $2.44 Buy It Now 4h 9m
. BRYN TERFUL sings ALAN JAY LERNER.IF EVER I WOULD LEAVE YOU. USD $1.55 [0 bids]
1985 - LOVE & ROCKETS - If There's A Heaven Above - Press Advert - Poster Size USD $14.06 Buy It Now 4h 13m
Summerlin - You Can't Burn Out If You're Not On Fire (SEALED NEW CD 2012) USD $3.89 Buy It Now 4h 15m
Sweet Cream ?- I Don't Know What I'd Do (If You Ever Left Me) USD $4.95 [0 bids]
HARRY SECOMBE IF I RULED THE WORLD BF1261 7" VINYL RECORD VG 29 USD $3.89 Buy It Now 4h 34m
DAVID ESSEX P/S 45 " IF I COULD " 1970s AUSSIE 45 POP USD $2.43 Buy It Now 4h 36m
SWEET SENSATION " IF WISHES CAME TRUE / LP PREVIEW " 1980s POP 45 ON ATCO USD $2.43 Buy It Now 4h 39m
OLIVIA NEWTON JOHN "IF YOU LOVE ME " 1970s POP 45 ON INTERFUSION USD $2.43 Buy It Now 4h 39m
FIREHOSE-LOT OF 2 LP'S-"RAGIN', FULL ON"-"IF'N"-MIKE WATT-MINUTMEN-SST-RARE! USD $24.99 [0 bids]
MDC-MILLIONS OF DEAD COPS II-HEY COP! IF I HAS A FACE LIKE YOURS-LP-INSERT-NM USD $25.99 [0 bids]
PURE PRARIE LEAGUE-LOT 3 LP'S-FIRIN' UP-VINCE GILL-TWO LANE HIGHWAY-IF THE SHOE USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Elvis "If you talk in your sleep " rare/ mint condition Import cd new USD $31.27 Buy It Now 4h 51m
TUPAC SHAKUR-2PAC-I WONDER IF HEAVEN GOT A GHETTO-PROMO ONLY CD SINGLE-AMURU-NM USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Kaz James If They Knew New Cd USD $5.47 Buy It Now 5h
New Kids On The Block(7" Vinyl)If You Go Away-Columbia-6576667-Netherlands-VG+/N USD $6.24 Buy It Now 5h 2m
Midge Ure(7" Vinyl)If I Was-Chrysalis-URE1-UK-VG/Ex USD $4.68 Buy It Now 5h 2m
Andrew Bayer - If It Were You WeD Never Leave CD USD $18.89 Buy It Now 5h 8m
LP 2 ~ USD $19.73
CD if 2 ~ USD $14.50
CD if 3 ~ USD $14.50
CD if4 ~ USD $15.77

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Send comments to mystic fred (BETA) | Report this review (#132956) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 13, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#154431) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 06, 2007

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#159747) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 25, 2008

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#277890) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#428253) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#457953) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

Send comments to stefro (BETA) | Report this review (#708724) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 05, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"