IF

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

Repertoire 2010
If 2If 2
Import · Limited Edition
Repertoire 2006

Last Scene in Reno You Act As If I Have a Choice CD ***NEW*** USD $10.22 Buy It Now 1h 30m
JOELLE, Florence - Life Is Beautiful If You Let It (mono) - Vinyl (LP) USD $24.15 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Nice Work If You Can Get It: Songs by the Gershwins by Michael Feinstein (CD,... USD $3.95 Buy It Now 1h 30m
RONNIE DEE-If I Could Start My Life-ON GATEWAY 785 USD $9.74 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Soul 45 Bobbt Taylor & The Vancouvers - I Am Your Man / If You Love Her On Gordy USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Soul Promo 45 Yvonne Elliman - If I Can'T Have You / If I Can'T Have You On Rso USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Soul 45 Bobby Lanz And The Celtics - Let Them Talk / If The World Were Mine On B USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
VIOLA WILLS-IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND-12"-HANSA-100 USD $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 32m
ROLLING STONES-GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT!-JAPAN SHM-CD E50 USD $24.50 Buy It Now 1h 33m
emmylou harris, don williams if i needed you, w.b. #49809 USD $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 36m
MARLENE DIETRICH "If the best Freundin" NIP USD $11.56 Buy It Now 1h 37m
JIMMY JUSTICE, WHEN MY LITTLE GIRL IS SMILING / IF I LOST YOUR LOVE. 1962 PYE 45 USD $1.29 [0 bids]
CATERINA VALENTE "If it Nacht wird in Paris" NIP USD $11.56 Buy It Now 1h 37m
THE BEST OF WHAM CD Album IF YOU WERE THERE - Orig 1997 14 trax Very Good Cond USD $2.60 Buy It Now 1h 38m
ROGER WHITTAKER LIVE "If I Were A Rich Man" New & OVP ? USD $11.56 Buy It Now 1h 38m
? SARAH VAUGHAN "If You Could See Me Now" NIP USD $11.56 Buy It Now 1h 38m
45rpm-David Essex-If I Could-SCBS3776-1975-1st press USD $1.29 [0 bids]
JUSTIN JONES-'IF YOU WERE THE ONLY GIRL' ON HALLMARK USD $10.52 Buy It Now 1h 39m
THEAUDIENCE - If You Can't Do It When You're Young... (UK 4 Tk CD Single) USD $4.53 Buy It Now 1h 40m
If There Was A Way By Dwight Yoakam USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m
IF THEY ONLY KNEW New CD USD $15.95 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Charles Wilson - If Heartaches Were Nickels (CD, 2004, Delmark) Blues VG++ USD $9.89 Buy It Now 1h 42m
SOLOMON BURKE-IF YOU NEED ME-JAPAN CD B50 USD $13.99 Buy It Now 1h 42m
45rpm-Freddie & The Dreamers-If You Gotta-DB7032-Columbia-1963-1st press USD $1.29 [0 bids]
45rpm-Dave Clark Five-Catch Us If You Can-DB7625-Columbia-1965 USD $1.29 [1 bids]
HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS~IF THIS IS IT~COVER EX~4 TRACK 12" EX USD $3.57 [0 bids]
RARE New & Sealed, KRAUL - Freedom (If You,Odium), CD EP 2004, Pearl Jam Nirvana USD $9.08 [0 bids]
If 60s Were 90s USD $4.29 Buy It Now 1h 44m
`Perry, Greg - Jocelyn Brown`-It Takes Heart - If I Can`T Have Your VINYL LP NEW USD $19.31 Buy It Now 1h 44m
DRAKE-IF YOU`RE READING THIS IT`S TOO LATE (CLN) CD NEW USD $15.83 Buy It Now 1h 44m
TOPOL, IF I WERE A RICH MAN / BOTTLE DANCE. 2 FIDDLER ON THE ROOF TUNES USD $1.29 [0 bids]
IZZY CHAIT IF I CAN DREAM Music Audio CD 2008 NIP USD $0.99 [0 bids]
PROMO CAPITOL 45 RECORD/BETH NIELSEN CHAPMAN/IF ONLY I'D KNOW/ NR MINT VINYL USD $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
COLUMBIA 78 RECORD/GENE AUTRY/RUDOLPH RED NOSED REINDEER/ IF SNOW CHRISTMAS/ VG+ USD $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
A&M CASSETTE SINGLE/ STING/ENGLISHMAN IN NEW YORK/IF YOU THERE/FACTORY SEALED USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Wanda Jackson 45 record THE PAIN OF IT ALL/ IF I HAD A HAMMER 2379 USD $0.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
MENTAL AS ANYTHING, IF YOU LEAVE ME CAN I COME TOO - LP USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 48m
If It Was You - And Sara Tegan New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping USD $17.72 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Ronnie / Cold Hard Truth Eaton - What If We Are Ghosts [CD New] USD $12.52 Buy It Now 1h 50m
PROMO COLUMBIA 45 RECORD/ JOHNNIE RAY/ IF YOU BELIEVE/ ALEXANDER'S RAGTIME /EX USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 51m
And If The Song Be Worth A Smile - Songs by American Composers, , Good Hybrid SA USD $8.81 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Tegan & Sara - If It Was You [Vinyl New] USD $19.98 Buy It Now 1h 52m
Cheap Trick 45 rpm "If You Want My Love" on Epic Records USD $1.34 Buy It Now 1h 52m
MIDGE URE, 7"; UK import 45 rpm, "IF I WAS" b/w "Piano", ULTRAVOX, 1985, MTV, EX USD $4.11 [0 bids]
SUZI QUATRO-IF YOU KNEW SUZI.-JAPAN CD C68 USD $15.50 Buy It Now 1h 57m
LYNN ANDERSON That's a No No/If Silence is Golden NMunp USD $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 58m
If You're Reading This It's Too Late [Explicit] USD $9.31 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Vtg THE SIXTH EAR by Pascal Narco 33 LP "DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS ALBUM IF STONED" USD $89.99 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Donald Peers "Roses From Venice/If There Are Stars in My Eyes" Columbia 1959 7" USD $4.55 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Ray Griff - If I Let Her Come In / Runnin' 45 1976 VG / VG+ USD $0.99 Buy It Now 2h
If These Trees Could Talk - Red Forest Vinyl /100 Clear with Black/Red Splatter USD $74.99 Buy It Now 2h
Dinah Shore "If I Give My Heart To You/Let Me Know" HMV 1954 7" USD $5.85 Buy It Now 2h
Bingo & Molly - You Can Do It! (If You Try) [CD New] USD $11.18 Buy It Now 2h 3m
DANA."IF I GIVE YOU MY HEART".BORN TOO LATE/WALK RIGHT BACK/CRY..RITZ. 33RPM LP USD $0.97 [0 bids]
TEXANS "IF THE WORLD KEEPS ON TURNING/(INSTRUMENTAL) 1950'S BLUE STAR SQ. DANCE USD $3.00 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Eddie Alexander: If I Could Only Talk To Daddy Once More 45 - Soul USD $8.50 Buy It Now 2h 5m
IF waterfall LP Mint- KMD 1057 Vinyl 1972 Record USD $72.00 Buy It Now 2h 5m
If I Had a Hammer: Songs of Hope & Struggle - Pete Seeger - Audio CD - Very Good USD $7.87 Buy It Now 2h 6m
BROWNSTONE - IF YOU LOVE ME - CASSETTE TAPE SINGLE~ USD $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Harold Melvin And The Bluenotes ?- If You Don't Know Me By Now / Let Me Into Yo USD $0.99 [0 bids]
USD $2.99 Buy It Now
II D EXTREME If I knew then what I know now w/ RARE EDIT PROMO DJ CD Single 1996 USD $34.99 Buy It Now 2h 9m
FIVE STAR If I Say Yes (1986 UK vinyl 7" single) VG/EX USD $1.95 Buy It Now 2h 11m
BELLAMY BROTHERS if i said you had a beautiful body 7" Mint- 45 German WB 17 405 USD $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 12m
MIGHTY SKYLIGHTS: I Want To Be Baptized / If Jesus Came To Your House 45 Black USD $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 13m
RICHARD P: Sad And Blue / You Can Make It If You Try 45 rare Soul USD $50.00 Buy It Now 2h 13m
SLY & THE FAMIY STONE - If You Want Me To Stay - UK 7" - EPIC EPC 1655 USD $2.59 [0 bids]
The U-Krew " If you were Mine " Vinyl Record ( Brand New ) USD $8.88 Buy It Now 2h 14m
EDNA GALLMON COOKE: He'll Fix It / If You Don't Go 45 (dj, faint sm label stain USD $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 14m
ERIC CLAPTON If I Had Possession 2004 SPAIN CD single USD $12.75 Buy It Now 2h 16m
NEPTUNES If you care She went that-a-way DOOWOP 2nd press 45 on Payson e6399 USD $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 17m
THE BEE GEES STAYIN' ALIVE / IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU VERY GOOD 1977 USD $2.60 Buy It Now 2h 17m
THE BEATLES " I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER" "IF I FELL"TELL ME WHY " 45 RPM Record USD $20.95 Buy It Now 2h 18m
ELTON DEAN / PAUL DUNMALL - IF DUBOIS ONLY KNEW - JAZZ CD ALBUM 1996 VOICEPRINT USD $9.08 Buy It Now 2h 18m
If You Leave Eleanor McEvoy~2013 Irish Import Singer Songwriter CD~FAST SHIPPING USD $8.95 Buy It Now 2h 18m
ATLANTIC STARR - IF YOUR HEART.- A&M - U.K 45 + PIC.SLV USD $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 19m
WORRYIN' KIND:Wild About You 2:25-If You're Gone-U.S. 7" 1967 TRIM 1323-45- 350 USD $174.98 Buy It Now 2h 20m
Vinyl LP Tony Cole: If The Music Stops; Orig. 1972 20th Century w/lyrics; MINT- USD $1.99 [0 bids]
BILLIE JO SPEARS IF YOU WANT ME UNITED ARTISTS 45 1977! USD $1.99 Buy It Now 2h 23m
If you leave Me Now, Love Me Tomorrow * Sergio Mendes & The New Brasil '77 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Rodney Crowell - I Couldn't Leave You If I Tried 45 1988 VG / VG+ USD $0.99 Buy It Now 2h 25m
[EDM]~NM 12"~DENISE LOPEZ~If You Feel It~[Feel~Hot~Ak-Io Dub~Percapella~Pop]~#1 USD $3.88 Buy It Now 2h 28m
NM 12"~JACKIE SILVERS~If By Chance~[Extended~Acapella~~Radio~Dub~Beats~]~1988~ USD $2.97 Buy It Now 2h 28m
Manfred Mann 7" Single If you gotta go, go now USD $5.18 Buy It Now 2h 28m
THE BANGLES If She Knew What She Wants 1986 UK Vinyl PICTURE DISC EXCELLENT COND USD $15.58 Buy It Now 2h 29m
DUFFY BROTHERS if i needed you 7" WS EX/ uk marina USD $9.08 Buy It Now 2h 29m
GLORIA GAYNOR if you want it do it yourself 7" WS EX/ uk mg USD $9.08 Buy It Now 2h 29m
STING-IF ON A WINTER'S NIGHT-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK F25 USD $27.99 Buy It Now 2h 29m
THE REDDINGS-"IF LOOKS COULD KILL" EX/SHRINK USD $6.99 [0 bids]
CHER - One By One - 1995 CD Single (includes 'If I Could Turn Back Time') USD $3.88 [0 bids]
MELISSA ETHERIDGE - If I Wanted To [CD Single] [Maxi... CD NEW/ STILL SEALED USD $12.75 Buy It Now 2h 32m
MELISSA ETHERIDGE - If I Wanted To [CD Single] [Maxi... CD Excellent Condition USD $9.25 Buy It Now 2h 32m
THE BRECKER BROTHERS BAND SLICK STUFF / IF YOU WANNA BOOGIE FORGET IT 1976 USD $3.25 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Nice Work If You Can Get It... by The Hi-Lo's (CD, Feb-1996, Varse Vintage) USD $10.50 Buy It Now 2h 35m
You Might Be a Redneck If... by Jeff Foxworthy Cassette Jun-1993 Warner Bros USD $8.17 Buy It Now 2h 36m
DISNEY If the Shoe Fits... by Norman Foote (CD, Feb-1992, Buena Vista) RARE OOP USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Stephanie Mills If I Were Your Woman CD Early Japanese Pressing MCA-5996 USD $25.00 Buy It Now 2h 39m
THE STAVES If I Was CLASSIC CD Album GALLERY QUALITY FRAMED+EXPRESS GLOBAL SHIP USD $51.90 Buy It Now 2h 40m
CHICAGO If You Leave Me LTD MUSIC CD TOP QUALITY FRAMED DISPLAY+FAST GLOBAL SHIP USD $64.89 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Four Tops - You Keep Running Away / If you Dont Want Love - Motown - M1113 USD $5.20 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Chicago - If you leave me Now / Together Again - CBS 4603 USD $1.30 Buy It Now 2h 40m

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Review by apps79
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Review by Matti
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"