IF

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

If [Vinyl]If [Vinyl]
Akarma Italy 2008
Vinyl$89.95
HANSON - IF ONLY - VIDEO ENHANCED CD SINGLE - MINT USD $2.69 Buy It Now 1h 33m
ATOMIC KITTEN - IF YOU COME TO ME (2 TRACK CD SINGLE) (REF B5) USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Bellamy Brothers - If I Said You Have A Beautiful Body 1979 7" Ex Warner K17405 USD $3.74 Buy It Now 1h 36m
WILLS, Viola - If You Could Read My Mind (remastered) - CD USD $16.15 Buy It Now 1h 36m
CARROLL BAKER - IF IT WASN'T FOR YOU - 1978 - 8-TRACK CASSETTE - KKS1-0285 USD $7.77 [0 bids]
USD $10.25 Buy It Now
James Taylor - Your Smiling Face / If I Keep My Heart Out Of Sight - 3-10602 USD $7.77 [0 bids]
Lonnie Gordon - If I Have To Stand Alone NEW CD USD $11.52 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Terence Trent D'Arby - If You Let Me Stay 1987 7" Ex CBS TRENT1 USD $3.74 Buy It Now 1h 37m
BLUE - IF YOU COME BACK (4 TRK ECD) (REF B6) USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m
MN8 - If You Only Let Me In - 2 Track UK Promo CD USD $4.22 Buy It Now 1h 37m
7"-Single JAMES BROWN I Got The Feelin' / If I Ruled The World (1968) GERMANY PS USD $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Etta James & Harvey Fuqua -Collectables 45 My Heart Cries / If I Can't Have You USD $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Brian Hopper - If Ever I Am [CD New] USD $11.89 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Rodney Crowell I Couldn't Leave You If I Tried 7" Vinyl Single USD $6.01 Buy It Now 1h 43m
CHICAGO - 45 - 1976 - IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW / TOGETHER AGAIN - COLUMBIA 3-10390 USD $7.77 [0 bids]
USD $10.25 Buy It Now
Little Jimmy Osmond - If Santa Were My Daddy / Silent Night - POLYDOR 2065 097 USD $7.77 [0 bids]
HUGH MASEKELA / IF YOU DONT KNOW ME /HOLD ON USD $6.50 Buy It Now 1h 44m
Peggy Lee If You Go LP World Stereo ST642 Excellent USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 51m
If Ever I Am - Brian Hopper (2012, CD New) USD $11.59 Buy It Now 1h 54m
IF I CAME BACK TO YOU AND SAID I'M SORRY Sheet music-THEME FROM THE GAMBLERS USD $18.02 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Artful Dodger - If You Love Me 12" USD $12.39 Buy It Now 1h 56m
IF YOU LOVE ME - Johnny P & Foxy Brown (B2236) USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 58m
KEIKO LEE - IF IT'S LOVE (JPN) (4988009867991) - NEW CD USD $47.20 Buy It Now 1h 59m
MARTIN SOLVEIG HEDONIST CD IF YOU TELL ME MORE REJECTION BRAND NEW NEVER PLAYED USD $11.64 Buy It Now 2h
The Audience - If You Can't Do It When Your Young... EP USD $5.24 Buy It Now 2h
Hundred Reasons - If I Could (CD Single) USD $3.14 Buy It Now 2h
INEZ ANDREWS IF JESUS CAME TO YOUR TOWN TODAY, Mexico, Near Mint MIRACLE MIR5004 USD $10.50 [0 bids]
2h
Evelyn Champagne King 45 I Don't Know If It's Right / We're Going To A Party USD $2.00 Buy It Now 2h 2m
I've Got Love if You Want It / I Fell in Love - SUN 287 M- USD $25.00 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Jack Nathan If Glenn Miller Played the Hits Of TodayLP USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 4m
LENNY KRAVITZ If You Can't Say No Remixes - 5 track Mint 1998 EU CDS - VUSCD 130 USD $7.79 Buy It Now 2h 4m
SUE THOMPSON....IF THE BOY ONLY KNEW....HICKORY-45 USD $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 5m
38 SPECIAL - If I'd Been The One - Excellent Condition 7" Single A USD $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 6m
AMY DICKSON 'CATCH ME IF YOU CAN' CD (2014) USD $16.45 Buy It Now 2h 8m
HILARY WEEKS - IF I ONLY HAD TODAY - NEW CD USD $18.18 Buy It Now 2h 9m
SAVAGE YOUNG BEATLES-IF YOU LOVE ME BABY/WHAT'D I SAY(Col.Vinyl) USD $19.47 [0 bids]
45 RPM Record IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING NICE ORBISON USD $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Hugo Duncan - Catch Me If You Can (2002) USD $1.49 [0 bids]
ELKIE BROOKS 4x7" DEMO SINGLES-ONLY LOVE,FOOL IF YOU THINK...etc USD $12.00 Buy It Now 2h 16m
IVAN NEVILLE-IF MY ANCESTORS COULD SEE ME NOW soul LP USD $4.98 Buy It Now 2h 21m
rc0011- Peter Nero-If Ever I would Leave You LP Record USD $8.35 Buy It Now 2h 22m
Wondermints - Mind If We Make Love To You NEW CD USD $10.96 Buy It Now 2h 23m
LABI SIFFRE IF YOU HAVE FAITH 7" SINGLE CHEAP USD $7.49 Buy It Now 2h 26m
DENA BARNES If you ever walk out of my life INFERNO USD $54.07 [6 bids]
JEAN CARN If you wanna go back DEMO! USD $9.01 [0 bids]
Mi & L'Au - If Beauty Is A Crime [CD New] USD $14.01 Buy It Now 2h 31m
The Dandy Warhols Not if You Were The Last Junkie On Earth + 2 CD Single VGC USD $6.19 [0 bids]
USD $8.53 Buy It Now
PEABO BRYSON - IF EVER YOU'RE IN MY ARMS AGAIN / THERE'S NO GETTING OVER YOU 7" USD $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 37m
MARGIE RAYBURN - I'M AVAILABLE b/w IF YOU WERE - 78 rpm 1957 London Liberty USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 37m
HERB JEFFRIES - IF I WERE KING/I REMEMBER THE BING - NEW CD USD $10.59 Buy It Now 2h 39m
HERMA KEIL/KEIL ISLES - IF YOU WANNA BE HAPPY VG USD $1.50 [0 bids]
Clovers 45 rpm record "Blue Velvet / If You Love Me" Atlantic 1052, Near Mint USD $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Silje Nergaard - If I Could Wrap Up A Kiss CD USD $29.19 Buy It Now 2h 43m
Little Johnny Talyor 45 rpm "If You Love Me" Galaxy 729, Near Mint USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 43m
LUTHER INGRAM "IF IT'S ALL THE SAME TO YOU BABE" NORTHERN SOUL LISTEN! USD $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 47m
BOJOURA [DUTCH BEATGIRL]-IF IT'S TUESDAY,THIS MUST BE BELGIUM-MONO 7'' USD $19.00 [0 bids]
45 record Kapp Promo #407 PETE CAROL CHORALE If It Isn't Ev'rything / The Day USD $1.99 Buy It Now 2h 50m
45 record Capitol Promo #3459 FRANK WEIR If Ever You Go To Paree / Mister Cuckoo USD $1.99 Buy It Now 2h 50m
If You Need Me [Acrobat] by Wilson Pickett (CD, Aug-2003, Acrobat (USA)) - CD USD $6.50 Buy It Now 2h 53m
If It's Love - Keiko Lee (2007, CD New) USD $28.83 Buy It Now 2h 54m
Reba McEntire If You See Him [ECD] (1998) CD USD $3.95 Buy It Now 2h 55m
BREAD 7" single vinyl, USA Southern Rock, IF / MOTHER FREEDOM, made in the US USD $7.49 [0 bids]
Ian Matthews - If You Saw Thro My Eyes NEW CD USD $14.63 Buy It Now 3h 7m
Rebecca St James SEALED CD If I Had One Chance to Tell You Something USD $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 8m
Crests- Journey of Love/If My Heart Could- Collectables 1124 VG+ 45 USD $2.99 [0 bids]
USD $3.99 Buy It Now
Suzi Quatro,If You Knew Suzi,Matrix numbers A-1U & B-1U,LP USD $16.51 Buy It Now 3h 10m
SIMPLY RED If You Don't Know Me By Now UK 7" vinyl single EXCELLENT CONDITION USD $12.00 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Jones Tom Green Green Grass Of Home-If I Had You Jugoton 7" USD $3.99 [0 bids]
Geri Halliwell - Scream If You Wanna Go Faster (CD 2001) NEW USD $7.48 Buy It Now 3h 14m
McFARLANE, Zara - If You Know Her - CD USD $15.02 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Stars On 54 If You Could Read My Mind 12" Promo Vinyl Single 1998 USD $2.49 Buy It Now 3h 16m
Silk If You Promo CD Single USD $9.00 Buy It Now 3h 20m
BRUCE DITMAS - WHAT IF [BRUCE DITMAS] - NEW CD USD $9.58 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Quatro,suzi - If You Knew Suzi NEW CD USD $11.52 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Gloria Dennis That's My Boy b/w See If I Care Rust WLP USD $12.00 Buy It Now 3h 23m
Sharon Hall - If You Really Want It (2000) (RARE) (HTF) OOP (PROMO) (INDIE) R USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Franklin,carolyn - If You Want Me - Expanded Edit NEW CD USD $12.72 Buy It Now 3h 24m
HALL & OATES - If That's What Makes You Happy CD, Blu Mountain Records, NEW Rare USD $4.99 [0 bids]
FATS DOMINO/IF YOU NEED ME HLP9073 NEX LONDON 45 USD $9.01 Buy It Now 3h 27m
Various Artists If I Were a Love Song (UK Import) CD USD $12.39 Buy It Now 3h 28m
DICKEY LEE " I WONDER IF I CARE AS MUCH " EX+ COND. USD $2.84 Buy It Now 3h 28m
AC/DC - If You Want Blood You've Got It CD Japan Mini LP SICP-1704 USD $24.90 [0 bids]
Beatles,I Should Of Known Better & If I Fell,Tell Me Why & And I Love Her,7" USD $18.76 Buy It Now 3h 30m
TOMMY TATE - If you ain't man enough ORIGINAL USD $10.51 [0 bids]
MEL TILLIS " IF I LOST YOUR LOVE " EX+ COND. USD $2.84 Buy It Now 3h 32m
IF I SHOULD LOVE AGAIN BY BARRY MANILOW 1981 LP RECORD (1981) USD $4.99 [0 bids]
USD $6.49 Buy It Now
Incubus - If Not Now, When Signed A4 Promo Print USD $4.49 Buy It Now 3h 36m
Kylie Minogue/Keith Washington 12" If You Were With Me Now UK USD $25.00 Buy It Now 3h 38m
JOHN COUGAR NOTHIN' MATTERS & WHAT IF IT DID LP 1980 USD $79.00 Buy It Now 3h 38m
Chicago ~~ If You Leave Me Now (Cassette, 1982, CBS) USD $2.99 [0 bids]
USD $3.89 Buy It Now
Nick Palmer - 45 - If You Don't Care - Promo USD $0.50 [1 bids]
If I Was: The Very Best of Midge Ure & Ultravox by Ultravox (1 CD- 17 tunes) USD $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 42m
JIMMY CLIFF "YOU CAN GET IT IF YOU REALLY WANT" CLASSIC SOUND LISTEN! USD $12.00 Buy It Now 3h 42m
If your Happy and you know it CD kids songs twinkle twinkle farmer dell USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Santos - If You Have Meat You Want Fish - 10 Track USD $5.99 Buy It Now 3h 45m
LYNN ANDERSON COUNTRY 45 CHART 5021 IF SILENCE IS GOLDEN / THAT'S A NO NO NM- USD $1.29 [0 bids]
USD $1.99 Buy It Now
If You Love to Dance by Various Artists (CD, Mar-1996, Epic (USA)) USD $3.99 [0 bids]
USD $5.19 Buy It Now
DODGY if you're thinking of me cassette uk a&m 1996 2 track b/w in a room (58199 USD $7.87 Buy It Now 3h 49m
DWIGHT YOAKAM, IF THERE WAS A WAY, 1990 COUNTRY ALBUM, 1ST PRESS, EXCELLENT+! USD $15.00 [0 bids]
If I Needed Someone Ep - Hollies (2003, CD Maxi Single NEUF) USD $8.60 Buy It Now 3h 50m
LP 2 ~ USD $18.44
CD if 2 ~ USD $13.56
CD if 3 ~ USD $13.56
CD if4 ~ USD $14.74

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Send comments to mystic fred (BETA) | Report this review (#132956) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 13, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#154431) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 06, 2007

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#159747) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 25, 2008

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#277890) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#428253) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#457953) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

Send comments to stefro (BETA) | Report this review (#708724) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 05, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"