IF

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

Repertoire 2007
Fibonaccis Number / More Live IfFibonaccis Number / More Live If
Import · Remastered
Repertoire 2010
Jennifer Lopez - If You Had My Love 12" Vinyl Record JLo EX USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Whitey Shafer If I Say I Love You/I'll Break Out 45 RPM Elektra Records DJ Copy USD $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 29m
78RPM Brunswick 2961 Nick Lucas If You Hadn't Gone Away Brown Eyes Why You Blue USD $24.95 Buy It Now 1h 30m
**45 RECORD JERRY NAYLOR: IF I PROMISE, STEREO & MONO PROMO USD $1.00 Buy It Now 1h 30m
If I Could Only Remember My Name / David Crosby Reel 4 Track 7 1/2 IPS SEALED USD $28.00 [4 bids]
IF THE RAIN COMES [DIGIPAK] NEW CD USD $19.18 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Country 45 Alabama - Can'T Keep A Good Man Down / If It Ain'T Dixie (It Won'T Do USD $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 34m
RARE LP If You Go Away DAMITA JO Epic BN 26244 Vinyl ORIGINAL STEREO PRESSING! USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Country 45 Bobby Bare - Ride Me Down Easy / Daddy What If On Rca USD $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 36m
HADES If at First You Don't Suceed Cassette ORG 88 Toxik Realm Heathen USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Guy Finley "Let It Show/If This is My Moment" 45 nPROMO in Stereo USD $4.95 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Country 45 Faith Hill - If My Heart Had Wings / It Will Be Me On Warner Bros Rec USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Country 45 George Strait - If I Know Me / Home In San Antone On Mca Records USD $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 42m
L-Fudge - Liquid / What If? / Show Me Your Gratitude12" USD $7.24 Buy It Now 1h 42m
(FW162) Bliss, If Heaven Closes - 2001 DJ CD USD $2.25 Buy It Now 1h 44m
HAYDN / HERMITAGE CHAMBER O...-IF HAYDN HAD WRITTEN FOR OBOE (HYBR) Sup Aud NEW USD $25.53 Buy It Now 1h 45m
ELVIS PRESLEY, IF YOU TALK IN YOUR SLEEP, ORIGINAL 45rpm w/PICTURE SLEEVE USD $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Westlife If I Let You Go Cassette Tape Single - TESTED USD $7.24 Buy It Now 1h 47m
glenn frey strange meeting promo box if you like don henley and the eagles! USD $74.99 [0 bids]
Country 45 Kenny Dale - If The World Should Ever Run Out Of Love / When It'S Jus USD $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Sheryl Crow - If It Makes You Happy - CD Single USD $5.79 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Gloria Estefan Limited U.K. 7" + Poster "If We Were Lovers" Epic 659570, NEW USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Peter And Gordon - A World Without Love / If I Were You 7" Single 1964 US Rock USD $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Elvis 447-0602 Good Rockin' Tonight / I Don't Care If Sun 45RPM great shape USD $31.96 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Rubettes - I Can Do It / If You've Got The Time - Vinyl 7" Single. USD $1.43 [0 bids]
JIMMY SOUL,IF YOU WANNA BE HAPPY/DON`T RELEASE ME,S.P.Q.R. RECORDS 45 RECORD USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Country 45 Leon Everette - If I Keep On Going Crazy / The Sun Went Down In My Wo USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Gene Cotton If I Could Get You (Into My Life) 7" USA USD $7.24 Buy It Now 1h 52m
Country 45 Lynn Anderson - If Silence Is Golden / That'S A No No On Chart USD $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 52m
KING OF THE HILL IF I SAY CD SINGLE 4J USD $3.61 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Country 45 Mark Chestnutt - Bubba Shot The Jukebox / It'S Not Over (If I'M Not O USD $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Country 45 Merle Haggard - If You Hated Me / Someday When Things Are Good On Epi USD $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Bonnie Pointer - If The Price Is Right - 1984 Expanded CD - OOP MEGA RARE USD $5.05 [0 bids]
Country 45 Tanya Tucker - If Your Heart Ain'T Busy Tonight / Down To My Last Tea USD $3.00 Buy It Now 2h
BING CROSBY-(45)-I'LL BE HOME FOR XMAS(IF ONLY IN MY DREAMS)/FAITH OF MY FATHERS USD $11.99 Buy It Now 2h
Billy Crash Craddock 45 If I Could Write A Song As Beautiful As You/Never Ending USD $1.00 Buy It Now 2h
You Might Be a Redneck If... by Jeff Foxworthy (CD, Jun-1993, Warner Bros.) NM USD $2.99 Buy It Now 2h
Al Cambell - If Loving You Is Wrong / Earl Cunningham - What Kind Of Woman 12" USD $26.07 Buy It Now 2h 2m
RISE IF THE GIRL GROUPS-SHES SO FINE-V/A -3CD- RISE IF THE GIRL GROUPS-SHES SO F USD $22.46 Buy It Now 2h 3m
CANADA 1950s COUNTRY 45 RPM RAY PRICE : OH YES DARLING ! + IF YOU DON'T SOMEBODY USD $6.99 [0 bids]
ED BALL-IF A MAN EVER LOVED A WOMAN ED BALL-IF A MAN EVER LOVED A WOMAN USD $10.59 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Pop 45 Celine Dion - When I Fall In Love / If I Were You On Epic USD $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 5m
OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN - IF YOU LOVE ME, LET ME KNOW - LP/RECORD USD $10.99 [0 bids]
USD $14.99 Buy It Now
NORTHERN SOUL New Holidays - Maybe so, maybe no / If I only Knew LISTEN USD $9.50 [4 bids]
Monty Babson Here Today Gone Tomorrow/If My Friends Could See Me Now 45RPM USD $7.00 Buy It Now 2h 6m
NORTHERN SOUL Nolan Chance - If He Makes You LISTEN USD $9.17 [2 bids]
Monsters, Inc. FYC Best Original Song CD "If I Didn't Have You" by Randy Newman USD $3.99 [0 bids]
Mental As Anything If You Leave Me Can I Come Too 7" Epic ANY5 EX/EX 1988 If You USD $9.40 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Michelle Shocked If Love Was A Train 7" Cooking Vinyl LON212 EX/EX 1988 If Love USD $9.40 Buy It Now 2h 10m
NAZ EDWARDS .....if the waiting takes years CD USD $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Rosie Thomas - If Songs Could Be Held (CD, 2005, Sub Pop) RARE/OOP Music Album USD $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 11m
Chicago - If You Leave Me Now / Together Again 7" Single 1976 USD $13.04 Buy It Now 2h 11m
Love & Rockets - If there is a Heaven Above - Free UK Post USD $11.59 Buy It Now 2h 11m
LITTLE JACK LITTLE Remember - If I had my way 8" 33rpm BLUE Lang-Worth IN125 USD $43.44 Buy It Now 2h 12m
(CI894) Cord, Later Is Better For Me If That's OK - 2011 DJ CD USD $8.84 Buy It Now 2h 13m
Gary Miller If I Had My Way 7" Pye 7N 15452 VG 1962 If I Had My Way/Moonlight Be USD $9.40 Buy It Now 2h 13m
Jimmy Ruffin: Farewell is a lonely sound / If you will let 7" 45 record 45rpm 2a USD $11.00 Buy It Now 2h 13m
Southroad Connection - Something Special / I Can't Say No If You Ask Me USD $7.00 Buy It Now 2h 14m
BOBBY WRIGHT * IF YOU DON'T SWING DON'T RING & HERE I GO AGAIN * 45 RPM USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 14m
If Every Day Was Like Christmas by Elvis Presley Collector's Edition 3D POP-UP USD $17.95 Buy It Now 2h 14m
BILLIE HOLIDAY "Ain't Nobody's Busines If I Do" 4 LP Box Set 1975 Columbia NM- USD $25.00 Buy It Now 2h 16m
Rock 45 Bread - If / Mother Freedom On Elektra Records USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 16m
If I Were A Boy [Audio CD] Beyonce USD $16.21 Buy It Now 2h 18m
BARBARA GEORGE ~ Send For Me (If You Need...)/Bless You ~ northern soul ~ SUE $ USD $36.66 Buy It Now 2h 18m
GALES Doo Wop BLUE WAX REPRO 45rpm Josephine b/w If I Could Forget LISTEN USD $12.00 [0 bids]
Damita Jo Epic 45 Record #10061 VG If You Go Away / When The Fog Rolls In To USD $6.00 Buy It Now 2h 19m
CADETS - DOO WOP 45 - IF IT IS WRONG b/w DO YOU WANNA ROCK - MINT MINUS REPRO USD $10.50 Buy It Now 2h 20m
Rock 45 Full Force - Let'S Dance Against The Wall / Girl If You Take Me Home On USD $3.00 Buy It Now 2h 20m
The Kaye Sisters - Paper Roses / If Only you'd Be Mine - Philips PB 1024 USD $3.26 Buy It Now 2h 20m
KEN DODD-LOT OF 4 UK 45s inc STILL,IF MY HEART,VIOLIN,ONCE IN EVERY TIME. USD $2.90 Buy It Now 2h 20m
Rock 45 Ink Spots - If I Didn'T Care / Whispering Grass On Mca Records USD $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 21m
The Sweet Three I Would If I Could/Don't Leave Me Now PROMO 45 USD $10.00 [1 bids]
Z.Z. Hill 7" 45 HEAR R&B SOUL If I Could Do It All Over KENT You Won't Hurt No USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 23m
NORTHERN SOUL Radiants - Voice Your Choice / If I only Had You LISTEN USD $5.99 [0 bids]
THE ICICLE WORKS If You Want To Defeat Your Enemy Sing His Song +inner sleeve USD $13.90 Buy It Now 2h 28m
SWEET SOUL Lovehorn - If LISTEN USD $7.99 [1 bids]
BUDGIE - IF SWALLOWED DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING (BONUS TRACKS) NEW CD USD $21.39 Buy It Now 2h 30m
HANK COCHRAN: JUST FOR THE RECORD / IF SHE COULD rare GAYLORD dj COUNTRY 45 mp3 USD $25.00 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Soul 45 Donna Summer - If It Makes You Feel Good / This Time I Know It'S For Rea USD $3.00 Buy It Now 2h 32m
80's Vinyl 12" Single Terence Trent D'Arby ?- If You Let Me Stay T1 1987 VG++ A1 USD $7.24 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Charlie Walker - I Don't Mind Goin' Under (If It'll Get Me (RCA LSP 4737) sealed USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 35m
What If Mozart Wrote I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa USD $16.72 Buy It Now 2h 36m
La Toya Jackson 12" PROMO HEAR SOUL FUNK If You Feel The Night Time Lover Latoya USD $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Blues 45 Little Johnny Taylor - If You Love Me (Like You Say) / First Class Love USD $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Northern Soul 45 Donnie Elbert - Where Did Our Love Go / That'S If You Love Me O USD $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Soul 45 - Teques - If I could - Mint- USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Soul 45 LINDA CLIFFORD If My Friends Could See Me Now on Curtom 7" USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Soul 45 LUTHER INGRAM (If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want To Be Right on Ko 7" USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Soul 45 ISAAC HAYES If We Ever Needed Peace on Polydor 7" 8 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 42m
GUY LOMBARDO golden earrings/where or when/if i had my way/how deep is ocean 45 USD $5.49 Buy It Now 2h 43m
Jimmi Cannon Even If Its Wrong mono/stereo PRO 45 From Publishing Co Vault MINT USD $2.24 Buy It Now 2h 44m
**45 RECORD BAY CITY ROLLERS: WHERE WILL I BE NOW, IF YOU WERE MY WOMAN USD $1.00 Buy It Now 2h 46m
Elvis 45rpm record & Picture Sleeve, If Every Day Was Like Christmas, RCA, 1966 USD $26.99 Buy It Now 2h 46m
TELEVISION PERSONALITIES do you think if you were beautiful CD EP UK psych L@@K USD $13.99 Buy It Now 2h 48m
(CM785) Hundred Reasons, If I Could - 2002 DJ CD USD $2.88 Buy It Now 2h 48m
JOHNNY RODRIGUEZ,"I Wonder If I Ever Said Goodbye" / "I Couldn't Be Me W/O You" USD $4.98 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Walter Scanlan Edison 50997 78 If A Picture I Could Paint In Old-Fashioned Town USD $7.46 Buy It Now 2h 52m
CITY AND COLOUR - IF I SHOULD GO BEFORE YOU GO CD NEW+ USD $22.16 Buy It Now 2h 52m
TOM JONES - DETROIT CITY / IF I HAD YOU - Decca F22555 USD $2.32 Buy It Now 2h 52m
VAL DOONICAN "If the Whole World Stopped Lovin' " 1964 UK 7" DECCA F.11982 USD $1.43 [0 bids]

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Review by apps79
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"