If

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

Repertoire 2007
Fibonaccis Number / More Live IfFibonaccis Number / More Live If
Import · Remastered
Repertoire 2010
Nice Work If You Can Get It by Tom Grant (Jazz) (CD, 2004, Nu-Wrinkle Records) USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Mellow Man Ace - If You Were Mine - New Sealed Cassette USD $32.50 Buy It Now 1h 30m
If You Could Read My Mind - Carpenter,Cameron USD $10.24 Buy It Now 1h 34m
NEIL DIAMOND "IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN / STREET LIFE" 45 USD $2.00 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Rolling stones Got Live If You Want It Mono US Rare label USD $9.99 [0 bids]
If There's a Hell Below [Digipak] by Black Milk (Detroit) (CD, Nov-2014,... USD $9.30 Buy It Now 1h 36m
R.C. BANNON- IF YOU'RE SERIOUS ABOUT CHEATIN' 45 RPM LP USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m
The Dave Clark Five - Catch Us If You Can, EP, 7" 45RPM VG 1965, Pop Rock, Epic USD $3.99 [0 bids]
THE PROPHETS QUARTET . IF WE NEVER MET AGAIN . QCA LP USD $3.25 [1 bids]
THE HOLLIES - IF I NEEDED SOMEONE 7" 65 G+ USD $3.06 Buy It Now 1h 43m
CD - Silk - Tonight w/If You/Meeting In My Bedroom - 50¢ S/H For Each Extra CD USD $2.88 Buy It Now 1h 47m
RODNEY CROWELL- WHEN THE BLUE HOUR COMES/ I COULDN'T LEAVE YOU IF I.. 45 RPM LP USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
LP: Stevie Nicks - The Wild Heart (1983) If Anyone Falls","Enchanted","Nightbird USD $10.99 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Ruben Studdard 12" Single What If J Records #J1PV-60948-1 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 50m
JOE STAMPLEY 'SOUL SONG' & "IF YOU TOUCH ME"-DOT RECORDS 1973 12" LP USD $2.75 Buy It Now 1h 54m
PINKY: Call Me If You Want Me/ Tell Me Who OBSCURE CANADIAN GROUP 45 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Rare Rock N Roll Bobby Wood Joy 285 45rpm Boing If Im a Fool For Loving You NR USD $6.99 [0 bids]
STEVE SANDERS- I'M A BIG BOY NOW/ IF THAT AIN'T LOVIN' 45 RPM LP USD $4.99 Buy It Now 2h
THE RITES OF SPRING GETTIN' INTO A GOOD THING/ IF YOU LET ME MAKE LOVE TO ... USD $5.25 Buy It Now 2h 2m
THE DANDY WARHOLS - NOT IF YOU WERE THE LAST JUNKIE ON EARTH-CD USD $0.01 [1 bids]
LEMONHEADS If Only You Were Dead 2 x LP white vinyl RSD 2014 Evan Dando SEALED USD $38.99 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Vince Howard 45 IF YOU BELIEVE / MOONLIOGHT MOUNTAIN ~ VG++ USD $2.64 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Patrick Simmons So Wrong/ If You Want a Little Love 45 Elektra Asylum Sleeve USD $2.69 Buy It Now 2h 7m
LLOYD PRICE FOR LOVENO IF'S - NO AND'S 45 RPM ABC-PARAMOUNT RECORDS 45-10,102 USD $3.98 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Lanemeyer, If There's a Will: There's Still Nothing Audio CD USD $15.98 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Ruth Etting - COLUMBIA 2073-D - Crying for the Carolines & If He Cared USD $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Merle Haggard: Okie From Muskogee / If I Had Left It Up To You [Unplayed Copy] USD $9.97 Buy It Now 2h 15m
If Every Day Was Like Christmas [Limited] by Elvis Presley (CD, Sep 2003, BMG... USD $16.99 Buy It Now 2h 22m
45 rpm RSO RS 885, BEE GEE, If I Can't Have You & Stayin Alive USD $1.75 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Gene Allison 45 IF THINGS DON'T CHANGE / GOODBYE MY LOVE ~ G+ to VG- r+b USD $3.31 Buy It Now 2h 27m
The Four Tops (soul) 45 Indestructible / If Ever A Love There Was~ Casablanca M- USD $3.90 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Heart CD 1985 If Looks Could Kill, What About Love, Never, These Dreams, Nothin USD $3.50 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Staple Singers: Love Comes in All Colors / If You're Ready [Unplayed Copy] USD $6.97 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Chris Rea - Fool If You Think It's Over-Definitive Greatest [CD New] - Fast Ship USD $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 27m
BRENDA LEE, Rusty Bells / If You Don't,1965 original 45rpm record! MINT! USD $5.50 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Sam And Dave - Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody / If You Got The Loving 1966 USD $1.79 Buy It Now 2h 30m
Ted Nugent - If You Can't Lick 'Em... Lick 'Em - LP 1988 vinyl record hard rock USD $0.99 Buy It Now 2h 31m
MICHAEL MCDONALD LP IF THAT'S WHAT IT TAKES 1982 USD $6.54 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Oscar Promo (FYC) ----- CATCH ME IF YOU CAN ----- JOHN WILLIAMS USD $10.50 [0 bids]
AC DC : If You Want Blood Vinyl VG+++ Record Hard Rock USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 34m
The Glass House (soul) 45 Touch Me Jesus / If It Ain't Love - Invictus VG++ USD $9.36 Buy It Now 2h 37m
If You Play Your Cards Right [Single] - LaTanya (CD ... USD $1.01 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Mario Lanza "If You are but a Dream" RCA stereo LSC2790 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 49m
REGINA "If You're Gonna Love Me" Columbia 4-43366, 45rpm White Label Promo, 1965 USD $29.99 Buy It Now 2h 52m
Richard Cocciante: When Love Has Gone Away / If I Were [Unplayed Copy] USD $6.97 Buy It Now 2h 52m
ANGELA BONFILL "(IF YOU WANNA LOVE ME) YOU'RE ON / TELL ME TOMORROW" 45 MINT USD $2.75 Buy It Now 2h 54m
Evelyn "Champagne" King-I Don't Know If It's Right-7",1977,RCA-45 RPM-Funk/Soul USD $1.99 [0 bids]
DINAH WASHINGTON - If You Don't Think I'm Leaving / I'm A Fool To MERCURY 78rpm USD $9.95 Buy It Now 3h 4m
The Best If The Dramatics VOS-9506 USD $20.00 Buy It Now 3h 5m
RICKY NELSON -IF YOU CAN'T ROCK ME - ORIGINAL CANADIAN. COPY MINT- 45 USD $143.00 Buy It Now 3h 6m
Elton Dean/Paul Dunmall-If Dubois Only Knew CD NEW USD $12.74 Buy It Now 3h 7m
Chantal Kreviazuk : What If It All Means.. CD (2003) USD $12.67 Buy It Now 3h 15m
CD Andru Branch "What If I Told You" roots reggae IMPORT SEALED USD $2.99 [2 bids]
Terri Clark Greatest Classic Country Anthology If I Were you Everytime I Cry USD $6.56 Buy It Now 3h 16m
Matt Ford If at First CD USD $12.67 Buy It Now 3h 17m
OLIVIA NEWTON JOHN if you love me / brotherly love 45 rpm vinyl MCA RECORDS USD $9.75 [0 bids]
BEE GEES stayin alive / if I can't have you 45 rpm vinyl staying RSO USD $10.75 [0 bids]
THE WORLD IS A BEAUTIFUL PLACE Whatever, If Ever 12" Brown Vinyl EXCLUSIVE /500 USD $22.95 Buy It Now 3h 25m
KOOL & THE GANG ladies night / if you feel like dancin DE-LITE 45 rpm dancing USD $9.75 [0 bids]
MEL STREET Country Pride / Even If I Have to Steal 45 rpm 7" Vinyl Record USD $9.75 [0 bids]
CLAUDJA BARRY - If I Do It To You - PROMO DISCO 12" USD $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 25m
MAGPIE: If It Ain't Love-M1986LP T. LEONNO/G. ARTZNER USD $9.49 Buy It Now 3h 26m
RICKY SCAGGS one way rider / i wouldn't change you if i could EPIC 45rpm Vinyl USD $8.75 [0 bids]
Amant If Theres Love 45rpm Record Promo 1979 USD $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 30m
If The Jukebox Took Teardrops [CD5/Cassette Single] [Single] by Danni Leigh... USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Hanson If Only Rare Australian 2 Part CD Single Includes Live Tracks USD $13.22 Buy It Now 3h 33m
RICKY NELSON - IF YOU CAN'T ROCK ME - ORIGINAL U.S COPY MINT- 45 P-S USD $179.00 Buy It Now 3h 40m
Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes - If You Don't Know Me By Now: Best of CD NEW USD $11.05 Buy It Now 3h 40m
Cameron Carpenter - If You Could Read My Mind CD NEW [2 Disc, CD + DVD] USD $17.07 Buy It Now 3h 40m
Mandisa - What If We Were Real CD NEW USD $17.71 Buy It Now 3h 40m
CLAIRE-HIGH ON LOVE / IF YOU'D ONLY COME BACK~DISCO 12" USD $5.99 Buy It Now 3h 41m
Eddie Money If We Ever Get Out Of This CD Single Promo USD $2.49 Buy It Now 3h 43m
Jeffrey Osbourne- If My Brother's In Trouble - CD Single USD $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 43m
Step Inside This House, Lyle Lovett, 2 CDs 1998, If I Needed You, Lungs, TOWNES USD $5.50 Buy It Now 3h 44m
TED TAYLOR 45 RPM RareSoul I LOST THE BEST THING I EVER HAD / DARLING IF YOU... USD $49.99 [0 bids]
USD $69.99 Buy It Now
Catch Me If You Can (Ocr) - Various USD $14.28 Buy It Now 3h 48m
BROWN, Jim Ed; & Helen Cornelius (If The World Ran Out Of Love Tonight) PROMO USD $4.40 Buy It Now 3h 55m
Ekin Cheng / If The Sky's gonna Rain USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 56m
Lot of 4: Moody Blues Albums In Search If The Lost Chord Question Of Balance USD $14.95 Buy It Now 3h 58m
You Might Be a Redneck If... by Jeff Foxworthy (CD, Jun-1993, Warner Bros.) USD $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 58m
If You See Her by Brooks & Dunn (CD, Jun-1998, Arista) USD $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 2m
SANDI THOM WHAT IF I'M RIGHT? CD SINGLE cardboard case PROMO USD $7.77 Buy It Now 4h 2m
Rockabilly 45 Carl Dobkins Jr. Love Is Everything & If You Don't Want my Lovin' USD $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 5m
ASTRO 45 Lynda Kaye ^ If You're Bound To Go ^ Three Little Words^ STOL WOL USD $12.83 Buy It Now 4h 6m
MOD Soul Promo 45 Timmy Shaw If I Catch You Wand VG USD $15.00 Buy It Now 4h 6m
DECCA Promo 45 Jack Greene Ask Me To Stay ^ If You Ever Need My Love USD $16.00 Buy It Now 4h 6m
Dollar ($1.00) MERLE HAGGARD "IF WE MAKE IT THRU DECEMBER" 8 TRACK TAPE USD $1.00 Buy It Now 4h 6m
Funk 45 ATTITUDES If We Want To DARK HORSE Sweet Summer Music USD $28.49 Buy It Now 4h 7m
Brenda Lee Promo 45 If This Is Our Last Time Everybody's Reaching Out VG to VG+ USD $28.49 Buy It Now 4h 7m
Rockabilly 45 Carl Dobkins Jr. Love Is Everything ^ If You Don't Want My Lovin' USD $25.00 Buy It Now 4h 7m
KING SOLOMAN 45 RPM Funk I GOT A SWEET TOOTH/IF I WERE A STRONG MAN Mint USD $13.99 [0 bids]
USD $18.25 Buy It Now
EYDIE GORME, LP, If He Walked Into My Life (Headliner Series/Harmony KH 30319) USD $8.00 [0 bids]
The three chuckles-Foolishly/If you Should Love again-X-0095-Promo-Vg/VG+/1955 USD $19.95 Buy It Now 4h 14m
Bobby Bland-I'm To Far Gone/If You Could read My mind-Duke-393-VG/VG+/ USD $14.95 Buy It Now 4h 14m
Pat Boone-That's How Much I Love You/If Dreams Came TrueDot label-1958-VG+ USD $11.95 Buy It Now 4h 14m
R KELLY If I Could Turn Back The Hands Of Time (1999 US 2-track promo CD +CD ROM USD $8.00 Buy It Now 4h 19m
Melissa Manchester - If My Heart Had Wings - New Sealed CD Cutout Punch in UPC USD $13.00 Buy It Now 4h 21m
Anthony, Marc, Lopez, Jennifer, If You Had My Love / No Me Ames Audio CD USD $4.61 Buy It Now 4h 21m
FOUR TOPS - IF I WERE A CARPENTER "JUKEBOX" 45 COLLECTABLES UNPLAYED USD $8.00 Buy It Now 4h 22m
velocity girl i don't care if you go 7" on summershine records australia USD $11.99 Buy It Now 4h 27m
LP 2
~ USD $13.07
CD if4
~ USD $14.21

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Send comments to mystic fred (BETA) | Report this review (#132956) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 13, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#154431) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 06, 2007

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#159747) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 25, 2008

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#277890) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#428253) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#457953) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

Send comments to stefro (BETA) | Report this review (#708724) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 05, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"