IF

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

Import · Limited Edition · Remastered
Repertoire 2007
WaterfallWaterfall
Repertoire 2003
If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears - & the Papas Mamas New & Sealed CD Free S US $11.43 Buy It Now 43m 57s
3CD Sun Lu-If You Do Not You ?? ????? ????+ Free Postage US $23.99 Buy It Now 43m 59s
JUNIOR ~ YES (IF YOU WANT ME) ~ 12" Single PS US $5.08 Buy It Now 53m 19s
First National Nothing-If You Sit Real Still &...1970 Columbia C 30006 M-/M TOPS US $22.99 Buy It Now 55m 34s
Suzi Quatro - If You Can't Give Me Love / Cream Dream Japan 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h
John Williams - Catch Me If You Can soundtrack - 2002 U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $11.23 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Even If It Kills Me by Motion City Soundtrack Like New US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 16m
COUGAR, JOHN nothin' matters and what if it did VG/VG JAPAN P-109 | 14-0423-014 US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
BRUCE COCKBURN 45RPM IF A TREE FALLS/UNDERSTANDING NOTHING US $5.08 Buy It Now 1h 31m
CHICAGO - IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW & OTHER HITS NEW CD US $9.03 Buy It Now 1h 40m
BRUCE WILLIS / IF IT DON`T KILL YOU US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
GOODING - CLAP IF YOU LOVE VAMPIRES NEW CD US $17.89 Buy It Now 1h 40m
african museum 12":GREGORY ISAACS-if you see my mary (hear) US $42.42 Buy It Now 1h 41m
INSIDERS If You Had A Heart RCA WLP Northern Soul 45 US $50.00 Buy It Now 1h 44m
Ian Matthews - If You Saw Thro' My Eyes Asian LP RS-010 US $35.00 Buy It Now 1h 44m
I Can't Sleep Baby (If I) R. Kelly CD - 1 Disc - 3 Tracks (13:46) US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Four Tops & Aretha, If Ever a Love There Was ~ 1988 Arista 45 +PS US $2.77 Buy It Now 1h 50m
If I Should Love Again [Bonus Track] [Remaster] by Barry Manilow (CD 1998) US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Chicage - If You Leave Me Now 45 rpm Vinyl Columbia VG+ 1976 US $2.00 Buy It Now 1h 51m
KAPPA DANIELSON - IF I LET GO NEW CD US $27.15 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Bromheads Jacket - What if's and maybes UK 7" US $7.62 Buy It Now 2h
AC/DC IF YOU WANT BLOOD ULTRA RARE USA CASSETTE TAPE! US $17.89 Buy It Now 2h 16m
THE GAP BAND - I'm ready (if you're ready) - 1983 UK 2-mix 12" Vinyl Single US $13.56 Buy It Now 2h 16m
Jimmy Rushing - If This Ain't The Blues 12" LP on Vanguard VRS8513 Plays EX+ US $11.88 Buy It Now 2h 28m
GINNY OWENS - IF YOU WANT ME TO: THE BEST OF GINNY OWENS NEW CD US $17.11 Buy It Now 2h 38m
LESLEY GORE-2 LP'S-VINYL-THE GOLDEN HITS OF-I'LL CRY IF I WANT TO-US-MERCURY-MG US $11.03 Buy It Now 2h 39m
PHIL WOODS-2 LP'S-VINYL-US-RIGHTS IF SWING-IMAGES-MICHEL LEGRAND US $15.63 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Phoebe Snow - If I Can Just Get Through the Night PICTURE SLEEVE - 7" single US $1.87 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Yanni If I Could Tell You CD - Like New US $9.59 Buy It Now 2h 53m
AC/DC if you want blood LP 10 track (k50532) uk atlantic 1978 US $30.64 Buy It Now 2h 54m
The Swords - NEW - Entertainment Is Over if You Want It (2003) US $4.60 Buy It Now 2h 59m
Sting If I ever Lose My Faith in you Japan CD w/obi POCM-1022 US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h
CARL GREENSTREET: If You Only Say I Do (soul vinyl 45) US $12.00 Buy It Now 3h 8m
CD Album: Caravan : If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It All Over You US $13.31 Buy It Now 3h 13m
MR. BIG-WHAT IF... + BONUS TRACK NEW & SEALED US $15.99 Buy It Now 3h 13m
VIRULENCE if this isn't a dream LP 8 track unopened in original shrinkwrap (003l US $19.35 Buy It Now 3h 14m
ANTHONY NEWLEY- sheet music- IF SHE SHOULD COME TO YOU US $16.97 Buy It Now 3h 16m
TED NUGENT - If You Can't Lick Em + UK Tour - 1988 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.64 Buy It Now 3h 22m
TED NUGENT - If You Can't Lick Em....Lick Em - 1988 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.64 Buy It Now 3h 30m
MIDGE URE - IF I WAS 7" 45 (1985) URE-1 US $2.72 Buy It Now 3h 34m
DIXIE DREGS - WHAT IF - EXCELLENT CONDITION 12" VINYL ALBUM  US $6.77 Buy It Now 3h 37m
MILLIE JACKSON IF THAT DONT TURN YOU 7" NORTHERN SOUL US $10.17 Buy It Now 3h 42m
Alfie - If You Happy With You Need Do Nothing (CD 2001) US $3.38 Buy It Now 3h 45m
George Michael - Praying For Time / If You Were My Woman 45 rpm 1990 US $2.00 Buy It Now 3h 46m
TED NUGENT - IF YOU CAN'T LICK 'EM LICK 'EM 2009 US CD * NEW * US $10.17 Buy It Now 3h 49m
The Pogues - If I Should Fall from Grace with God CD New Factory Sealed US $13.56 Buy It Now 3h 54m
Greg Brown - If I Had Known-1980-96 Essential Recordings CD US $24.74 Buy It Now 3h 56m
Olivia Newton John - If You Love Me, Let Me Know - [ 8 Track Tape] US $3.25 Buy It Now 4h 10m
If You Want Blood, You've Got It US $16.69 Buy It Now 4h 20m
RUBY TURNER 'If You're Ready' 1985 UK 7" EP - Jonathan Butler - 3 Tracks US $4.70 [0 bids]
TERRY JACKS 'If You Go Away' 1974 German 7"/45 rpm vinyl single US $5.92 Buy It Now 4h 23m
MANIC STREET PREACHERS - IF YOU TOLERATE THIS YOUR CHILDREN WILL BE...CD SINGLE US $3.38 Buy It Now 4h 24m
The Saw Doctors - If This Is Rock'n'Roll, I Want My Old Job Back (CD 1994) US $15.26 Buy It Now 4h 26m
WESTLIFE IF I LET YOU GO ** CD SINGLE ** US $6.58 Buy It Now 4h 26m
Rod Stewart, If We Fall in Love Tonight Audio CD US $4.79 Buy It Now 4h 28m
YASHIN, Dennis - If You Loose It EP - white vinyl 12" US $17.98 Buy It Now 4h 37m
Michael McDonald - If That's What It Takes CD (Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan) US $4.71 Buy It Now 4h 37m
elvis presley - if you don't come back - very rare cd US $36.50 Buy It Now 4h 39m
COSMONAUTS - If You Wanna Die Then I Wanna Die - LP US $32.42 Buy It Now 4h 42m
JOHN COUGAR-NOTHIN' MATTERS AND WHAT IF IT DID-11 TRACK CD-WEST GERMANY-1980 US $11.29 Buy It Now 4h 54m
Nada Surf * If I Had a Hi-Fi * Vinyl Record 2LP US $17.99 Buy It Now 4h 56m
5 STAR - IF I SAY YES,12" SINGLE ON VINYL. US $1.68 [1 bids]
Julio Iglesias If I Ever Needed You (PS) 7" Vinyl US $9.74 Buy It Now 5h 3m
J J If This Is Love (PS) 7" Single US $11.44 Buy It Now 5h 3m
J J If This Is Love (PS)(Pic Sleeve VG) 7" Single US $8.05 Buy It Now 5h 3m
VTG LP "It's So Nice to Have a Man Around the House"/"If I Knew You Were Coming US $10.49 Buy It Now 5h 5m
CHRISTOPHER BRINSON - WHAT IF GOD IS UNHAPPY? - NEW CD US $14.84 Buy It Now 5h 6m
AC/DC - IF YOU WANT BLOOD, 2003 REMASTERED EU vinyl LP, NEW - SEALED! US $26.99 Buy It Now 5h 6m
Roy Orbison Crawling Back/If You Can't Say Something Nice 7" VINYL RECORD VG 25 US $6.26 Buy It Now 5h 19m
neil diamond - if there were no dreams cd single US $17.00 Buy It Now 5h 20m
JIGSAW - IF I HAVE TO GO AWAY 7" VINYL US $7.62 Buy It Now 5h 27m
Don Henley - The End Of Innocence / If Dirt Were Dollars 45 rpm 1989 US $2.00 Buy It Now 5h 28m
TOMMY SHAW WHAT IF 1985 JAPAN CD 32XB 1ST PRESS US $299.99 Buy It Now 5h 34m
Stevie Wonder - Lately / If It's Magic Tamla TMG 1226 UK 1980 7" vinyl PS 1st US $10.17 Buy It Now 5h 36m
JIMMY SOUL - IF YOU WANNA BE HAPPY / SANTO & JOHNNY - SLEEPWALK 7" VINYL PS US $16.96 Buy It Now 5h 37m
GLADYS KNIGHT & PIPS - IF I WERE YOUR WOMAN/TRACKS OF MY TEARS US $10.17 Buy It Now 5h 38m
SIMON and McQUEEN~I'M DOWN IF YOU'RE DOWN~FUNK DISCO BOOGIE 12" *NM PROMO W/L* US $3.97 Buy It Now 5h 41m
Theaudience (Sophie Ellis Bextor) - If You Can't Do It When... - Rare promo CD US $8.47 Buy It Now 5h 41m
If You Leave Me Now (and Other Hits) by Chicago (CD, Feb-1995, Chicago Record... US $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 43m
If I Could Turn Back Time: Greatest Hits by Cher US $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 44m
THE TAMPERER Feat MAYA - IF YOU BUY THIS RECORD YOUR LIF - CASSETTE TAPE SINGLE US $7.96 Buy It Now 5h 50m
Olivia Newton-John-If Not For You/The Biggest Clown-UNI 55281 VG 45 US $4.99 [0 bids]
2000 Doggy's Angels Baby If You're Ready 12" NM Vinyl US $2.25 Buy It Now 5h 53m
Larsen,Marit - If A Song Could Get Me You [CD New] US $11.84 Buy It Now 5h 54m
Nugent,Ted - If You Can't Lick 'Em...Lick 'Em [CD New] US $7.91 Buy It Now 5h 54m
If You Need Me by Wilson Pickett US $3.99 Buy It Now 5h 54m
It Don't Mean a Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing by John Williams US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 54m
If Not Now, When? Incubus (Vinyl, Jul-2011, 2 Discs, Epic (USA) Collectors Item! US $1.04 [2 bids]
Mamas and the Papas If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears Reel To Reel Stereo US $5.00 [1 bids]
Faithless If lovin' you is wrong CD Single US $4.23 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Candee Jay - If I Were You (2003) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 5h 57m
The Manhattans Lot of 2 If My Heart Could Speak 45 RPM US $8.00 Buy It Now 5h 58m
JOHN DUMMER & HELEN APRIL - OWN UP (IF YOUR OVER 25) 7" VINYL US $7.62 Buy It Now 5h 59m
Cher(12" Vinyl P/S)If I Could Turn Back Time-Geffen-GEF 59T-UK-Ex/VG US $10.17 Buy It Now 6h 3m
Bobby Darin(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)If A Man Answers-Capitol-CL 15272-UK-Ex/Ex US $10.17 Buy It Now 6h 3m
Ronnie Carroll(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)If Only Tomorrow-Philips-326550 BF-UK-Ex/Ex US $8.47 Buy It Now 6h 3m
IF I WERE A CARPENTER - JOHNNY CASH & JUNE CARTER US $0.25 [0 bids]
ac/dc - if you want blood, you've got it cd AC / DC US $6.12 [1 bids]
Vocal Learning Record Background Instrumental Music Minus One If Lovelier Than US $6.99 Buy It Now 6h 10m
Solomon Burke 45 "If You Need Me / You Can Make It If You Try" US $6.74 Buy It Now 6h 10m

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Send comments to mystic fred (BETA) | Report this review (#132956) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 13, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#154431) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 06, 2007

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#159747) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 25, 2008

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#277890) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#428253) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#457953) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

Send comments to stefro (BETA) | Report this review (#708724) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 05, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"