IF

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

If 2If 2
Import · Limited Edition
Repertoire 2006

NEW If You Could Read My Mind (Audio CD) USD $18.57 Buy It Now
Brand New Elvis 'If I can Dream' with The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra CD USD $5.20 [0 bids]
David Crosby If I Could Only Remember My Name SEALED NEW REEL TO REEL TAPE,csny USD $96.99 Buy It Now
If I Ever Lose My Faith in You / January Stars by Sting USD $4.23 Buy It Now
TOM JONES Detroit City/If I Had You UK 7" VG+ Cond USD $5.20 Buy It Now
Flock of Dimes, If You See Me, Say Yes, Excellent Import USD $7.99 Buy It Now
TOM JONES If I Only KNEW AMCY-812 CD JAPAN 1995 USD $134.59 Buy It Now
KEN BOOTHE If I Had Known 12" VINYL 2 Track B/w We Are The People (gred122) Co USD $15.03 Buy It Now
ROD STEWART - If loving you is wrong - 7" Single EX Con USD $2.98 Buy It Now
IF YOU GOTTA MAKE A FOOL OF SOMEBODY - FREDDIE & THE DREAMERS USD $1.30 [0 bids]
The Rolling Stones Got LIVE If You Want It! FROM THE 60'S Japan SHM-CD LTD New USD $12.99 Buy It Now
EMBRACE If You'Ve Never Been VJCP-68331 CD JAPAN 2001 NEW USD $76.09 Buy It Now
If You Leave - Eleanor Mcevoy (CD Used Very Good) USD $15.37 Buy It Now
Joe Dolce ( Music Theatre ) : If You Want To Be Happy - Ain't Been Missing You USD $2.59 Buy It Now
Carlene Carter : Do Me Lover - If The Shoe Fits : BEAT : XX 16 : Picture Sleeve USD $2.59 Buy It Now
If Tomorrow Never Comes Pt.2 (Enhanced) [IMPORT] by Ronan Keating (Apr-2002,... USD $18.37 Buy It Now
Kane - What If (2004) 2CDS MINT USD $4.55 Buy It Now
TRINI LOPEZ LA BAMBA IF I HAD A HAMMER 7" SINGLE VINYL USD $3.91 Buy It Now
Edward Ball - If a Man Ever Loved a Woman - Music CD USD $6.45 Buy It Now
ROSETTA STONE - IF YOU COULD SEE ME NOW - N/MINT VINYL POWERPOP UK 7" SINGLE USD $6.50 Buy It Now
The Raunch Hands - Got Hate If You Want It CD 10 Tracks Alternative Rock NEW+ USD $24.04 Buy It Now
MANIC STREET PREACHERS - IF YOU TOLERATE THIS YOUR CHILDREN WILL BE NEXT - CDS USD $2.59 [0 bids]
JANET JACKSON * 45 * If * 1993 * UNPLAYED MINT * USA ORIGINAL VIRGIN * SUPREMES USD $4.80 Buy It Now
If I Could Only Remember My Name by David Crosby + 30% off original price USD $37.00 [0 bids]
USD $60.00 Buy It Now
Country Bound Various Artists Cassette If Loving You Is Wrong Stranger Heart USD $4.60 Buy It Now
SHAM 69 IF THE KIDS ARE UNITED 7" SINGLE VINYL RECORD USD $5.21 Buy It Now
If You Can't Lick 'Em?Lick 'Em Ted Nugent USD $12.96 Buy It Now
Smokey- if you think you know how to love me 7" vinyl record clock gift USD $13.01 Buy It Now
FREE US SH (int'l sh=$0-$3) USED,MINT CD Motion City Soundtrack: Even If It Kill USD $3.55 Buy It Now
Rod Stewart x 5 As Time Goes By Downtown Train Encore Human Best V2 If We Fall USD $12.99 Buy It Now
FAMILY TREE If we Abide LP XIAN CHRISTIAN FOLK 1975 still sealed!! USD $13.97 Buy It Now
New Girls Generation Catch Me If You Can JAPAN Ver CD DVD L/E SNSD w/ sticker FS USD $29.99 Buy It Now
Saucy Sylvia rare 45 If You've Never Been To Ireland/ Just To Be a Little Kid USD $10.89 Buy It Now
SUZI QUATRO - If you can't give me love - 7" Single EX Con USD $2.85 Buy It Now
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN "LUCKY TOWN" CASSETTE 1992 BETTER DAYS IF I SHOULD FALL BEHIND USD $2.99 Buy It Now
MIRACLES-IF YOUR MOTHER ONLY KNEW+ EDDIE HOLLAND/DEBBIE DEAN PS NORTHERN ReIssue USD $13.01 Buy It Now
LAURA GREENE-MOONLIGHT MUSIC IN YOU/PEGGY MARCH-IF YOU LOVED ME OUTTA SIGHT DEMO USD $19.54 Buy It Now
Lisa Lisa and cult jam - I wonder if I take you home 7" vinyl near mint USD $3.26 Buy It Now
Five If Ya Gettin' Down Made In The EU CD Single Rare 1999 Everyday Invincible USD $6.32 Buy It Now
HARRY SECOMBE IF I RULED THE WORLD CD USD $1.30 Buy It Now
HAUSCHKA-WHAT IF-JAPAN CD E78 USD $22.50 Buy It Now
DENA BARNES IF YOU EVER WALKED OUT OF MY LIFE MADE IN DETROIT 1-sided Limited USD $19.54 Buy It Now
THE SMOKE IF THE WEATHER IS SUNNY FRENCH ORIG EP 45 PS 7" USD $99.00 Buy It Now
DENA BARNES IF YOU EVER WALK OUT OF MY LIFE / WHO AM I UK INFERNO/OUTTASIGHT USD $11.71 Buy It Now
DENA BARNES IF YOU EVER WALK OUT OF MY LIFE/WHO AM I UK OUTTASIGHT/INFERNO DEMO USD $19.54 Buy It Now
MAI KURAKI - IF I BELIEVE NEW CD USD $33.70 Buy It Now
If Tomorrow Never Comes Pt.2 (Enhanced) [IMPORT] by Ronan Keating (Apr-2002,... USD $21.71 Buy It Now
BUDGIE-If I were Brittania I'd Waive The Rules JAPAN 1st.Press w/OBI Metallica USD $99.99 Buy It Now
THE RUBINOOS-If I Had You Back/The Magic's Back 7" Made In Italy VG+ Cond USD $14.99 Buy It Now
TERRY JACKS-SEASONS IN THE SUN/IF YOU GO AWAY (UK PRESS) USD $5.20 Buy It Now
J.T PARKER IF YOU WANT TO HOLD ON / IT'S TOO LATE ACADEMY Re-Iss NORTHERN USD $13.01 Buy It Now
45 RPM RECORD/2) OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN / IF YOU LOVE ME ( LET ME KNOW ) USD $2.00 Buy It Now
WILSON PICKETT. IF YOU NEED ME. BRAND NEW CD ALBUM. USD $3.89 Buy It Now
Olivia Newton John - If You Love Me... - 7" single USD $1.86 Buy It Now
rc0011- Peter Nero-If Ever I would Leave You LP Record USD $4.88 Buy It Now
FIREHOSE - IF'N VINYL LP NEW+ USD $30.32 Buy It Now
ROLLING STONES - Got Live If You Want It - 1971 LP Reissue - EXCELLENT! USD $9.99 [0 bids]
USD $12.99 Buy It Now
2 HIT CD's by JARS OF CLAY: MUCH AFRAID & IF I LEFT THE ZOO - NEW & SEALED USD $11.24 Buy It Now
LITTLE ESTHER IF IT'S NEWS TO YOU /T'AINT WHATCHA SAY IT'S WHATCHA DO SAVOY RI USD $10.41 Buy It Now
ROD STEWART " IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG (I DON'T WANT TO BE RIGHT) " 7" SINGLE 1980 USD $3.24 Buy It Now
RUFUS THOMAS IF THERE WERE NO MUSIC VINYL LP USD $6.50 [0 bids]
Lenny Kravitz If I Could Fall In Love Australian 3 Track CD Single USD $7.58 Buy It Now
DESMOND DEKKER " YOU CAN GET IT IF YOU REALLY WANT IT " EX COND.IN OR. SLEEVE USD $6.37 Buy It Now
MIRACLES IF YOUR MOTHER ONLY KNEW / THATS THE WAY I FEEL UK OUTTA SIGHT USD $10.41 Buy It Now
MITTY COLLIER-DON'T LET HER TAKE MY BABY / BABY JEAN-IF YOU WANNA UK OUTTASIGHT USD $10.41 Buy It Now
BROKEN SOCIAL SCENE PRESENTS: KEVIN DR Spirit If... PCCY-01844 CD JAPAN 2007 NEW USD $113.70 Buy It Now
If I Ever Lose My Faith In You 7" Sting - 1993 USD $12.00 Buy It Now
PRECISIONS IF THIS IS LOVE (I'D RATHER BE LONELY) MADE IN DETROIT Ltd Edn DEMO USD $15.63 Buy It Now
NEW If It Wasn't for the Irish and the Jews (Audio CD) USD $20.06 Buy It Now
MENTAL AS ANYTHING_If You Leave Me Can I Cum_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS_J2c USD $8.93 Buy It Now
Kellee Patterson If It Don't Fit, Don't Force It / Be Happy 7" Vinyl USD $4.23 Buy It Now
If Only My Heart Had a Voice by Kenny Rogers (CD) USD $2.99 Buy It Now
PHIL PARRY~IF THIS IS GOOD BYE~CRY BABY CRY~ST CLAIR 009~~ NORTHERN SOUL 45 USD $99.99 Buy It Now
HUEY SMITH~IF IT AIN'T ONE THING IT'S ANOTHER~TALK TO ME BABY~ACE~ R USD $14.99 Buy It Now
One Thousand Violins - If I Were A Bullet / Poet / Almost Dead Nigh on Forty 12" USD $6.51 Buy It Now
NAT "KING" COLE / IF I GIVE MY HEART TO YOU 1955 CAPITOL EMI AUSTRALIA EP USD $3.91 Buy It Now
If You Leave Me Now 7'' Single Chicago USD $5.83 Buy It Now
TOUSSAINT McCALL-I'LL LAUGH TILL I CRY/ NATURAL RESOURCES- IF THERE WERE NO YOU USD $11.71 Buy It Now
BIG PRODEJE If The Chucc Fits, Wear It! PCD-23711 CD JAPAN 2005 NEW USD $70.29 Buy It Now
MELISSA ETHERIDGE_If I Wanted To_used CD-s single_ships from AUS_zz21_A5 USD $8.93 Buy It Now
TOPOL_If I Were A Rich MAn_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS!_M8d USD $23.81 Buy It Now
(HB259) The Billy Shinbone Show, If You Think You'll Get Away... - 2015 DJ CD USD $3.19 Buy It Now
STING - IF I EVER LOSE MY FAITH IN YOU French 2 track CD single USD $2.98 [0 bids]
GROOVE ARMADA "If Everybody Looked Same/Remixes" (CD Maxi-Single 2000) 8-Tracks USD $9.88 Buy It Now
TELLY SAVALAS-RUBBER BANDS & BITS OF STRING/IF (BELGIUM PRESS) USD $5.20 Buy It Now
(HB331) Nance, If U Wanna Dance - 2003 CD USD $3.19 Buy It Now
(HB346) Sally Shapiro, If You Ever Wanna Change Your Mind - 2016 DJ CD USD $3.19 Buy It Now
Cheryl Lynn If This World Were Mine feat Luther Vandross 12" Single~1982 CBS USD $5.99 Buy It Now
STING - IF I EVER LOSE MY FAITH IN YOU promo CD single in digipak USD $3.72 [0 bids]
Shirley Bassey Portrait of A Song Stylist + If You Go Away Cassette Tape TESTED USD $6.51 Buy It Now
Fool If You Think It'S Over (The Definitive Greate TECI-24556 CD JAPAN 2009 OBI USD $73.26 Buy It Now
David Essex-If I Could-S CBS 3776-Vinyl-7"-Single-Record-45-1970s USD $4.56 [0 bids]
THE HOLLIES If I Needed Someone Orig UK PARLOPHONE 1965 R 5392 George Harrison USD $6.50 [0 bids]
BLAKE SHELTON IF I'M HONEST (2016) BRAND NEW SEALED CD GWEN STEFANI USD $18.60 Buy It Now
The Manhattans: Loneliness / If My Heart Could Speak 45 - Soul USD $3.37 Buy It Now
Billy Ocean - Stop Me (If You've Heard It All Before) - GTO Records GT-72 Ex USD $3.23 Buy It Now
U2 - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight EUROPEAON SINGLE CD NEW SEALED USD $47.99 Buy It Now
TERRY JACKS-SEASONS IN THE SUN/IF YOU GO AWAY (DUTCH PRESS) USD $5.20 Buy It Now
THE GARBAGE & THE FLOWERS - EYES RIND AS IF BEGGARS CD ROCK ALTERNATIVE NEW+ USD $25.11 Buy It Now
Huey Lewis & the News "If This Is It" CHRYSALIS Oz 7" USD $3.35 Buy It Now

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Review by apps79
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Review by Matti
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"