If

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

Repertoire 2007
If 2If 2
Import · Limited Edition
Repertoire 2006
JOHNNY WILLIAMS "IF LOVING YOU MEANS ANYTHING / HE WILL BREAK YOUR HEART" 45 NM USD $3.00 Buy It Now 34m 48s
Elvis 45, Good Rockin' Tonight, I Don't Care if the Sun Don't Shine 448-0602 USD $19.00 Buy It Now 34m 57s
THE EVERLY BROTHERS 45 RPM "Bye Bye Love" "I Wonder If I Care as Much" G+ cond. USD $2.50 Buy It Now 38m 4s
Smokie - If You Think You Know How To Love Me [CD New] USD $16.19 Buy It Now 39m 24s
Helen Humes - Tain't Nobody's Biz-Ness If I Do [CD New] USD $10.40 Buy It Now 39m 26s
Francesca Battistelli - If Were Honest [CD New] USD $14.98 Buy It Now 39m 41s
Miracles - If Your Mother Only Knew/That's The Way I Feel [Vinyl New] USD $15.73 Buy It Now 39m 45s
London Grammar - If You Wait: Deluxe Edition 2014 [CD New] USD $19.76 Buy It Now 41m 12s
FRANKIE MASTERS / HIS ORCHESTRA If You Knew Susie b/w Scatterbrain (U.S. 10inch) USD $37.49 Buy It Now 41m 18s
JON & ROBIN (If You've Got It, Flaunt It) Abnak 141 USD $4.20 Buy It Now 41m 24s
Vito Favara - Even If [CD New] USD $23.12 Buy It Now 42m 20s
Various Artist - If I Stay O.S.T. [Vinyl New] USD $36.98 Buy It Now 42m 28s
Chuck Cissel - Just For You/If I Had A Chance [CD New] USD $19.10 Buy It Now 42m 36s
Per Husby - If You Could See Me Now [CD New] USD $19.50 Buy It Now 42m 43s
Sarah Vaughan - If This Isn't Love-Jazz At The Concertgebouw [CD New] USD $32.99 Buy It Now 42m 49s
Patience Valentine/Barbara Dane - If You Don't Come (You Better Call [Vinyl New] USD $18.89 Buy It Now 43m 13s
Quentin Collins - If Not Now Then When [CD New] USD $22.49 Buy It Now 43m 14s
Skinny Lister - Plough & Orion/If The Gaff Don't Let Us Down [Vinyl New] USD $10.43 Buy It Now 43m 15s
Madison Violet - If I Could Love You [CD New] USD $11.69 Buy It Now 43m 24s
Iv Thieves - If We Cant Escape My Pretty [CD New] USD $11.54 Buy It Now 44m 7s
If Four Was One by T.J. Kirk CD 1996 Warner Bros. Compact Disc-Rare OOP Promo USD $11.80 Buy It Now 48m 17s
If 0656605324913, Vinyl Album, BRAND NEW FREE P&H USD $36.39 Buy It Now 50m 25s
As If We Existed - Solillaquists Of Sound (2006, Vinyl New) USD $23.95 Buy It Now 53m 56s
Billy Eckstine LP NEAR NEW If She Walked Into My Life FREE US SHIPPING USD $12.32 Buy It Now 57m 46s
STANLEY CLARKE (CD) "IF THIS BASS COULD TALK" 1988 PORTRAIT RECORDS USD $3.99 Buy It Now 58m 34s
Drake - If You're Reading This It's Too Late [CD 2015] PA Explicit Brand New USD $4.78 [0 bids]
Wiz Khalifa - O.N.I.F.C. [CD New] USD $12.60 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Wiz Khalifa - O.N.I.F.C. [CD New] USD $15.90 Buy It Now 1h 4m
If You See Him by Reba McEntire (CD, Jun-1998, MCA Nashville) USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
At The Close Of Every Day - If You Spoke To Me [CD New] USD $16.25 Buy It Now 1h 4m
If - If 2 + If 'Live In Liverpool' [CD New] USD $12.36 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Len - It's Easy If You Try [CD New] USD $13.70 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Bobby Wills - If It Was That Easy [CD New] USD $13.70 Buy It Now 1h 5m
AGATHOCLES - If This Is Cruel What Is Vivisection Then? (red 7") USD $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Julian Ovenden - If You Stay [CD New] USD $26.85 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Bt - If The Stars Are Eternal So Are You & [CD New] USD $15.83 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Peter Paul & Mary - If I Had A Hammer-The Legend Begins [CD New] USD $7.96 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Kansas City Jammers - Got Good (If You Get It) [CD New] USD $26.14 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Mgun - If You'Re Reading This Ep [Vinyl New] USD $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Bruce Ditmas - What If [CD New] USD $8.53 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Silje Nergaard - If I Could Wrap Up A Kiss (Silje's Christmas) [CD New] USD $26.58 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Elton/Paul Dunmall Dean - If Dubois Only Knew [CD New] USD $12.47 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Leech - If We Get There One Day Would You Please Open The [CD New] USD $25.10 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Pete Seeger - Definitive Pete Seeger:if I Had A Hammer [CD New] USD $6.77 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Solillaquists Of Sound - As If We Existed [Vinyl New] USD $21.61 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Wye Oak - If Children [CD New] USD $12.37 Buy It Now 1h 9m
If You Are Irish - Frank Quinn (CD Used Very Good) USD $13.96 Buy It Now 1h 10m
As If We Existed - Solillaquists Of Sound (Vinyl Used Very Good) USD $19.61 Buy It Now 1h 11m
IF-4 '72 UK WARNER BROS LP ORIG+INN. UK JAZZ PROG.BAND USD $78.02 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Beautiful People if 60's were 90's - Cassette Tape USD $3.35 Buy It Now 1h 19m
ROLLING STONES GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT MONO LL3493 MAROON LONDON LABEL USD $20.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Four Tops & Aretha Franklin ~ If Ever A Love There Was USD $8.95 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Funny People - If We Didn't Love [CD New] USD $17.80 Buy It Now 1h 26m
May'N - If You [CD New] USD $23.68 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Fate - If Not For The Devil [CD New] USD $20.18 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Spin Doctors - If The River Was Whiskey [CD New] USD $41.26 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Suzi Quatro - If You Knew Suzi [CD New] USD $10.80 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Jimmy Soul - If You Wanna Be Happy-Best Of [CD New] USD $14.35 Buy It Now 1h 28m
If You See Him [ECD] by Reba McEntire (CD, Jun-1998, MCA Nashville) USD $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Andreaz Heden & Gosta Rundqvist - If I Can Stop One Heart From Breaking [CD New] USD $15.33 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Skinny Lister - Plough & Orion/If The Gaff Don't Let Us Down [Vinyl New] USD $11.56 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Broken Social Scene Presents Kevin Drew - Spirit If [CD New] USD $10.95 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Of Montreal - If He Is Protecting Our Nation Who [CD New] USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Rod Mckuen - If You Go Away The Rca Years 1965-1970 [CD New] USD $189.32 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Willy Mason - If The Ocean Gets Rough [CD New] USD $9.24 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Bloody Hollies - If Footmen Tire You [CD New] USD $13.44 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Jars Of Clay - If I Left The Zoo [CD New] USD $10.74 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Suzi Quatro - If You Knew Suzi/And Other Four Letter Words [CD New] USD $14.63 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Sting - If On A Winter's Night [CD New] USD $15.67 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Japancakes - If I Could See Dallas [CD New] USD $14.19 Buy It Now 1h 31m
THE ANGELS-IF I DIDN'T LOVE YOU 7"-PROMO-RARE ROCK/SOUL USD $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Dawn Shipley & The Sharp Shooters - Baby If [CD New] USD $16.19 Buy It Now 1h 40m
John Lee Hooker - If Serve You Right To Suffer [CD New] USD $12.17 Buy It Now 1h 40m
John Lee Hooker - If You Miss I'm I Got I'm [CD New] USD $14.72 Buy It Now 1h 40m
If I Walked on Water - Hefko,Ted & The Thousandaires New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE USD $25.07 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Millie Jackson - If That Don't Turn You On/You Can't Stand The Thou [Vinyl New] USD $12.59 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Wonder Stuff - If The Beatles Had Read.. [CD New] USD $10.78 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Betty Davis rare 45- funk/soul if I'm in luck I might get picked up pic sleeve USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Serena Ryder - If Your Memory Serves You Well [CD New] USD $10.41 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Sahara Hotnights - What If Leaving Is A Loving Thing [CD New] USD $27.65 Buy It Now 1h 43m
David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name (LP 1971 Atlantic SD-7203) G-/VG USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God [CD New] USD $8.46 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Omd - If You Want It (2-Track) [New] USD $5.32 Buy It Now 1h 44m
Stanley Clarke If this Bass could only talk - Cassette Tape USD $3.35 Buy It Now 1h 44m
TOMMY SHAW: What If CD 1985 West-Germany Pressing MINT Original Version USD $49.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
O.N.I.F.C. Wiz Khalifa Vinyl LP 17 Tracks BRAND NEW SEALED USD $24.00 Buy It Now 1h 51m
If You Want It Come & Get It, Thomas, Irma, Very Good Original recording remaste USD $4.12 Buy It Now 1h 52m
Stylistics The - You'll Never Get To Heaven If You Break My Heart 45 VG / VG+ USD $0.99 Buy It Now 1h 53m
If You Wait - London Grammar (2014, CD New) USD $12.33 Buy It Now 2h
VINTAGE SHEET MUSIC * IF KNIGHTHOOD WERE AGAIN IN FLOWER * c.1910 USD $7.52 Buy It Now 2h 3m
GIBSON BROS QUE SERA MI VIDA [ IF YOU SHOULD GO ] HEAVEN VINYL 7" JUKE BOX USD $4.90 Buy It Now 2h 4m
GIBSON BROS QUE SERA MI VIDA [ IF YOU SHOULD GO] HEAVEN VINYL 4 PRONGED CENTRE USD $4.90 Buy It Now 2h 5m
PETER & GORDON If You Wish True Love Ways 45rpm RECORD USD $2.49 Buy It Now 2h 5m
JOHN ROWLES IF I ONLY HAD TIME NOW IS THE HOUR VINYL 7" SINGLE USD $5.77 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Benza - If [CD New] USD $21.59 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Pete Seeger - If I Had A Hammer (1944-50) [CD New] USD $9.94 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Brenda Lee - If You Love Me Japan 45 Special Sleeve USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Brenda Lee - If You Love Me Japan 45 Envelope cover USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 12m
King's Daughters & Sons - If Then Not When [CD New] USD $14.80 Buy It Now 2h 13m
Michael Bloomfield - If You Love These Blues Play Em As You Please [CD New] USD $15.37 Buy It Now 2h 13m
LP 2
~ USD $12.87
CD if4
~ USD $13.99

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Review by apps79
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"