If

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

Repertoire 2006
If 3If 3
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered
Repertoire 2007
Yin & Yan 7" vinyl single record If UK EMI2282 EMI 1975 USD $15.26 Buy It Now 31m 10s
3 CD Lot Partridge Family Brady Bunch Greatest Hits Best If I Were a Carpenter USD $11.95 Buy It Now 35m 15s
BOBBY TAYLOR AND THE VANCOUVERS- I AM YOUR MAN- IF YOU LOVE HER- 45RPM- RECORD- USD $11.07 Buy It Now 35m 58s
Rocky Sharpe & The R... If You Wanna Be Happy UK 7" vinyl USD $12.48 Buy It Now 36m 42s
TERENCE TRENT D'ARBY If You Let Me Stay 1996 AUSTRALIAN CD single darby USD $32.00 Buy It Now 38m 17s
LEON HAYWOOD If You're Lookin' For A Night Of Fun 7" Vinyl 20th Century Fox 1980 USD $5.83 Buy It Now 38m 23s
JOE HENDERSON Snap Your Fingers/If You See My Cry 7" 45 OOP early-60's Todd R USD $1.00 Buy It Now 39m 19s
Lieutenant - If I Kill This Thing We'Re All Going To Eat For A [CD New] USD $10.98 Buy It Now 40m 23s
If I Keep On Running - Calendar Sleeve John Alford UK CD single (CD5 / 5") USD $13.87 Buy It Now 40m 27s
Coope,Boyes & Simpson - As If [CD New] USD $19.53 Buy It Now 40m 56s
Mike Berry : If Only I Could Make You Care - One More Love Story : POSP 202 USD $2.91 Buy It Now 41m 21s
78rpm JOE PETERSEN if those lips could only speak / rustic bridge by the mill USD $21.93 Buy It Now 41m 32s
DIXIE DREGGS/STEVE MORSE-WHAT IF USD $4.37 [0 bids]
42m 5s
Japan CD w/OBI+bonus Tk GERI HALLIWELL SPICE GIRLS Scream if you wanna go Faster USD $19.99 Buy It Now 43m 12s
Fire Island If You Should Need A Friend 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) UK USD $13.80 Buy It Now 43m 45s
ESY MORALES - Jungle Fantasy / JIMMY SAUNDERS - If You Care For Me 78 rpm disc USD $5.83 Buy It Now 44m 35s
A WHISPER IN THE NOISE/IF THOUSANDS - 2D (LIM.EDITION) CD NEW+ USD $21.37 Buy It Now 46m 46s
If It Ain't One Thing It's Another by Duff Dorrough (CD, Oct-2012, CD Baby... USD $20.37 Buy It Now 47m 2s
MILLICENT MARTIN - IF I CAN HELP SOMEBODY/THE SUMMER OF HIS YEARS(10514) VG cond USD $3.00 Buy It Now 47m 35s
Barry Manilow If I Should Love Again inc Let's Hang On The Old Songs + LP USD $10.22 Buy It Now 48m 20s
The Rolling Stones - Got Live If You Want It! (Live Recording) (Japanese) (CD) USD $18.99 [0 bids]
50m 10s
78RPM Columbia 36894 Cab Calloway, If This Isn't Love / The Honeydripper V to V+ USD $14.95 Buy It Now 50m 11s
Budgie - If I Were Britannia I'd Waive The Rules (CD) USD $14.60 [0 bids]
50m 11s
Budgie - If Swallowed Do Not Induce Vomiting (CD) USD $14.60 [0 bids]
50m 11s
Pop Promo Nm! 45 Layng Martine - Find Out If She Likes Me / Find Out If She Like USD $5.00 Buy It Now 50m 20s
Hear! Doo Wop Promo Fort Worth 45 The Team Mates - You Must Pay / If Only I Had USD $15.00 Buy It Now 50m 20s
IF YOU CAN BELIEVE YOUR EYES AND EARS [DIGIPAK] NEW CD USD $14.98 Buy It Now 50m 24s
Dorothy Squires If You Love Me (I Won't Care) 7" vinyl single record UK PT330 USD $16.01 Buy It Now 51m 8s
If You Can't Give Me Love Suzi Quatro 7" vinyl single record Polish R-0839 USD $33.55 Buy It Now 51m 9s
SAMMY KERSHAW if you're gonna walk i'm gonna crawl/if you ever come this way 45 USD $2.49 Buy It Now 52m 25s
If You Only Knew - Dan Wilensky (CD Used Very Good) USD $13.24 Buy It Now 53m 35s
The Rolling Stones - Got LIVE If You Want It! Vinyl LP (London Records) Stereo USD $7.00 [0 bids]
USD $15.00 Buy It Now
53m 39s
If The Lights Don't Get You The Helots Will - Stanky Brown G (CD Used Very Good) USD $3.49 Buy It Now 54m 18s
ROGER WHITTAKER If I Knew Just What To Say b/w Love Lasts Forever STOCK 45 M- USD $7.99 Buy It Now 56m 29s
45 RPM RECORD/6A) KAY STARR / IF YOU LOVE ME ( REALLY LOVE ME ) USD $6.00 Buy It Now 56m 59s
Bromheads Jacket What If's + Maybe's CD single (CD5 / 5") UK CHACHA006 CHA CHA USD $25.57 Buy It Now 57m 42s
Primal Scream If They Move Kill 'Em CD single (CD5 / 5") UK CRESCD284 USD $18.26 Buy It Now 57m 44s
Thelma Houston If It's The Last Thing I Do USA 7" vinyl single record T-54283F USD $14.53 Buy It Now 57m 58s
Evelyn 'Champagne' King I Don't Know If It's Right 7" vinyl single record UK USD $14.53 Buy It Now 58m 1s
FREE US SH (int'l sh=$0-$3) USED,MINT CD Mr. Bigg: Only If U Knew Clean USD $6.33 Buy It Now 58m 36s
FREE US SH (int'l sh=$0-$3) NEW CD Mr. Bigg: Only If U Knew Clean USD $9.23 Buy It Now 58m 38s
OMD If You Leave UK 7" vinyl single record VS843 VIRGIN 1986 USD $17.45 Buy It Now 58m 48s
Religious Music - If We Dare to Hope - Bobby Fisher (Cassette,1994) USD $5.00 Buy It Now 59m 43s
JIM ED BROWN / HELEN CORNELIUS If World Ran Out Of Love Tonight STOCK 45 M- USD $7.99 Buy It Now 1h
FAB STAX 205 MABLE JOHN IF YOU GIVE UP / YOURE TAKING ANOTHER MANS PLACE HEAR USD $11.68 Buy It Now 1h
Dandy Warhols 2-CD single (Double CD single) Not If You Were The Last J... UK USD $17.75 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Theaudience If You Can't Do It When You're Young; ... CD single (CD5 / 5") UK USD $13.87 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Wet Wet Wet If I Never See You Again UK CD single (CD5 / 5") JWLCD29 MERCURY USD $13.87 Buy It Now 1h 3m
If I Can't Have You - Digipak Kim Wilde UK CD single (CD5 / 5") KIMTD18 M.C.A. USD $13.87 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Michelle Shocked CD single (CD5 / 5") If Love Was A Train UK LONCD212 POLYGRAM USD $15.33 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Tommy Conwell 3" CD single (CD3) If We Never Meet Again Japanese 10EP3060 USD $15.35 Buy It Now 1h 4m
X5-40 Vinyl Record Album 45 Abner Dee Clark Hey Little Girl If It Wasnt For Love USD $23.96 Buy It Now 1h 5m
A Flock Of Seagulls Wishing (If I Had A Photogra... 7" record UK USD $18.93 Buy It Now 1h 5m
DORIS DAY- IF I GIVE MY HEART TO YOU/ ANYONE CAN FALL IN LOVE "SINGLE" USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
If Everyday Were Like Christmas Day Thrum UK 7" vinyl single record BLAZE81 USD $9.41 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Huey Lewis & The News If This Is It UK 7" vinyl single record CHS2803 USD $10.14 Buy It Now 1h 7m
OUTLAWS "IF DREAMS CAME TRUE" / "HEARIN' MY HEART TALKIN'" 2 x PROMO 7" USD $6.56 Buy It Now 1h 7m
TRINI LOPEZ - Collection - "IF I HAD A HAMMER" "LEMON TREE" "LA BAMBA" + 5 More USD $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
AC/DC If You Want Blood You've Got It (CD 2003) Digipak Remaster 10 Songs USD $9.85 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Della Reese. Good Lovin / If It Feels Good Do It USD $1.45 [0 bids]
What If?/Real Time Open Music UK 10" vinyl single record OPR3 OUTPUT 1996 USD $16.72 Buy It Now 1h 11m
music cd Dandy Warhols, Not if you were the last Junkie on Earth / Genius USD $2.05 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Hanson If Only UK CD single (CD5 / 5") 562750-2 MERCURY USD $17.53 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Small Factory For If You Cannot Fly CD album (CDLP) UK QUIGD6 QUIGLEY RECORDS USD $16.79 Buy It Now 1h 12m
RICHARD ANTHONY IF I LOVED YOU 45 COLUMBIA 1964 USD $0.73 [1 bids]
Music CD, Ether, If you really want to Know / Julie / Romeo-yo USD $2.05 Buy It Now 1h 12m
A.M. If I Was The Sheriff UK CD single (CD5 / 5") STMCCDS6 STORM 2004 USD $9.49 Buy It Now 1h 13m
THE BEE GEES-STAYIN' ALIVE/IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU (GERMAN PRESS) USD $4.37 Buy It Now 1h 13m
If less is more - Kate Mcgarry New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping USD $18.89 Buy It Now 1h 13m
SCOTT FITZGERAD & YVONNE KELLY IF I HAD WORDS 45 1977 USD $0.73 [1 bids]
Josh Rawiri - If You Need Love [CD New] USD $25.17 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Not If You Were The Last Junkie On E... Dandy Warhols CD single (CD5 / 5") UK USD $14.60 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Helloween If I Could Fly German CD single (CD5 / 5") 2736165322 NUCLEAR BLAST USD $16.06 Buy It Now 1h 16m
JOE STAMPLEY-Mint Vinyl PROMO 45 (1972)-If You Touch Me/All The Praises USD $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Jennifer Lopez If You Had My Love CD single (CD5 / 5") USA WPK-6672601 USD $13.87 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Lemonheads 2-CD single (Double CD single) If I Could I'd Tell You UK USD $17.75 Buy It Now 1h 16m
King Of The Hill If I Say + Patch / Sealed 7" vinyl single record UK KOTHS2 USD $16.01 Buy It Now 1h 16m
New Kids on the Block- If You Go Away Ltd Ed Poster Sleeve UK 7" *RARE* USD $2.50 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Rolling Stones Got Live If You Want It! - RSD 7" vinyl single record UK USD $33.53 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Bennet If You Met Me Then You'd Like Me UK CD single (CD5 / 5") RR-2316-3 USD $13.87 Buy It Now 1h 17m
NEW Honky If You Love White People FREE SHIPPING USD $20.21 Buy It Now 1h 17m
45 RPM RECORD -BOBBY DARIN 4 SONG EP RECORD -IF A MAN ANSWERS -CAPITOL 1962 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Donnie Elbert ?Where Did Our Love Go / That's If You Love Me 7" Vinyl 45 Single USD $4.33 [0 bids]
L.J.Waiters & The Electrifiers If You Ain't Getting Your Thing 7inch 45 Single USD $4.33 [0 bids]
If You Really Want To Meat Loaf UK 12" vinyl picture disc record WA3357 EPIC USD $30.62 Buy It Now 1h 21m
If It's Alright With You Baby Korgis 7" vinyl single record UK TREB118 RIALTO USD $17.10 Buy It Now 1h 21m
If Every Day Was Like Christmas by Elvis Presley (CD, Sep-2003, BMG Heritage) USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Jay Novelle "If This Ain't Love" 12" Single PROMO USD $4.95 Buy It Now 1h 23m
June - If You Speak Any Faster (2005) USD $2.91 [0 bids]
CD As if to Sleep - Andrew March - New and Sealed - Track Listing on Photo USD $2.19 [0 bids]
FRANKIE MARSHALL 45 If it's the last think i do / Song from my heart ATCO w5164 USD $18.00 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Olivia Newton John If Not For You - 4pr 7" vinyl single record UK 7N.25543 PYE USD $16.01 Buy It Now 1h 27m
If? If? (The Grid Remixes) UK 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) MCSX1531 MCA 1991 USD $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Olivia Newton John If You Love Me Let Me Know -... USA vinyl LP record USD $17.47 Buy It Now 1h 27m
If You Love Me Let Me Know - ... Olivia Newton John USA vinyl LP record USD $23.31 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Olivia Newton John If Not For You USA 7" vinyl single record 55281 UNI 1971 USD $18.93 Buy It Now 1h 27m
WHITNEY HOUSTON & GEORGE MICHAEL IF I TOLD YOU THAT CD SINGLE MINT USD $2.91 [0 bids]
PATTI LABELLE 45 RPM Promo Record "If You Don't Know Me By Now" VG+ condition USD $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Diana Ross If We Hold On Together - Part 2 CD single (CD5 / 5") UK CDEM257 USD $13.87 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Lightning Seeds 2-CD single (Double CD single) What If... UK 6638632/5 SONY USD $14.82 Buy It Now 1h 32m
LP 2
~ USD $12.99
CD if4
~ USD $14.13

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Review by apps79
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Review by Matti
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"