IF

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

Repertoire 2006
If 3If 3
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered
Repertoire 2007
ETTA JONES Dont' Go to Strangers/IF I HAD YOU Prestige 45 USD $7.99 Buy It Now 29m 6s
June - If You Speak Any Faster (2005) USD $2.90 [0 bids]
29m 33s
CERYS MATTHEWS AND THE BLOCKHEADS - IF I WAS A WOMAN - RARE PROMO ACETATE CDS USD $5.82 Buy It Now 30m 29s
EMMYLOU HARRIS- ASHES BY NOW / IF I NEEDED YOU 7" WBS49809 Townes Van Zandt USD $2.99 [0 bids]
USD $4.99 Buy It Now
30m 55s
FOUR PALS IF I CAN'T HAVE THE ONE ... M- $40.00 USD $40.00 Buy It Now 34m 55s
GORDON LIGHTFOOT *DJ COPY* "IF YOU NEED ME" 45 RPM USD $3.99 Buy It Now 35m 7s
Timi Yuro - If / Masquerade Is Over - Mercury MF 826 Soul Northern Crossover Mot USD $36.44 Buy It Now 35m 57s
AC/DC "IF YOU WANT BLOOD" 1978 Excellent Condition USD $15.00 [0 bids]
USD $20.00 Buy It Now
36m 2s
Petites - If You wanna Change The World / Dont Go Changing Your Mind - Cub DEMO USD $29.15 Buy It Now 36m 10s
78RPM 3 Ken Griffin on Rondo, Little Brown Jug, Sigma Chi, Doodle Doo Do, If wV USD $12.95 Buy It Now 37m 28s
78RPM Vitacoustic 10 Freddy Nagel, Sophisticated Swing E-/ If You Knew Susie V USD $9.95 Buy It Now 37m 40s
78RPM Decca 1967 Ella Fitzgerald, What Do u Know About Love /If U Only Knew V+E- USD $13.95 Buy It Now 39m 14s
78RPM Decca Lionel Hampton w Sonny Parker, Jelly Roll / If U Ever Learn sharp E- USD $13.95 Buy It Now 39m 15s
45RPM Torch 100 Franklyn MacCormak McCormack, Theme Love Story /If U Go Away EE+ USD $26.95 Buy It Now 39m 16s
78RPM Capitol 15276 Johnny Mercer, Winter Wonderland / If I Knew Then V to V+ USD $9.95 Buy It Now 39m 16s
78RPM Columbia 36756 Frank Sinatra, White Christmas /Theme, If UR But Dream V V- USD $11.95 Buy It Now 39m 16s
NEW Taiwan CD w/OBI+bonus 2-Trk JENNIFER LOPEZ On The 6-If You Had My Love USD $29.99 Buy It Now 41m 49s
Midge Ure 7" 45 rpm Picture Sleeve Vinyl If Was / Piano 1985 USD $1.82 Buy It Now 42m 9s
BANGLES - IF SHE KNEW WHAT SHE WANTS 7" VINYL PS USD $5.82 Buy It Now 42m 33s
The Pogues If I Should Fall From Grace With God CD Presentation USD $10.93 Buy It Now 44m 7s
HENRY LUMPKIN Soul Is Takin' Over/If I Could Make Magic 1967 BUDDAH 22 EX Funk USD $5.00 [1 bids]
44m 12s
GENE ALLISON You Can Make It If You Try/Hey Hey I Love 1957 VEE-JAY 589 EX Soul USD $5.00 [0 bids]
44m 13s
ROBIN LEE Dream Drifter/If Thats For Me 1962 REPRISE WL PROMO NM Country Western USD $5.00 [0 bids]
44m 14s
Brian James - Damned If I Do [CD New] USD $14.45 Buy It Now 44m 33s
BILLY OCEAN - STOP ME (IF YOU'VE HEARD IT ALL BEFORE) 7" VINYL USD $5.82 Buy It Now 44m 46s
CHARLIE SPIVAK - THE OLD DEVIL MOON / IF THIS ISN'T LOVE - RCA Victor 20-2065 USD $9.99 [0 bids]
45m 5s
RUBY WELLS "BACK UP BUDDY IF YOU DON'T WANT A WHIPPIN' " 45 RPM USD $5.99 Buy It Now 46m 42s
...If I Ever Fall in Love by Shai (CD, Dec-1992, Gasoline Alley/MCA) USD $5.00 [0 bids]
47m 14s
If You Have Ghost - B.c. Ghost New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping USD $10.16 Buy It Now 47m 21s
"RARE".FRANKIE FORD.YOU TALK TOO MUCH / IF YOU'VE GOT TROUBLES.UK ORIG 7".EX+ USD $24.41 Buy It Now 47m 35s
JOHN WAITE "IF ANYBODY HAD A HEART/Just Like" EMI AMERICA 8315 (1985) 45 USD $6.50 Buy It Now 48m 9s
NEW Taiwan CD w/OBI MELISSA ETHERIDGE Yes I Am I'm The Only One If I Wanted USD $19.99 Buy It Now 49m 5s
If Ever I Would Leave You [Audio CD] Bryn Terfel; English Northern Philharmonic USD $4.36 Buy It Now 50m 9s
GORDON MacRAE If She Walked Into My Life CAPITOL Mono NM! Shrink PROMO USD $6.83 Buy It Now 51m 34s
1SW MERCURY 73839 MODERN SOUL FUNK WILLIAM BELL TRYIN TO LOVE TWO IF SEX WAS ALL USD $19.99 [0 bids]
53m 7s
IVAN NEVILLE IF MY ANCESTORS COULD SEE ME NOW ( 1988 VINYL LP ) USD $4.36 Buy It Now 54m 41s
Alicia Bridges If You Only Knew b/w Picture 45 From Publishing Company Vaul NM USD $1.99 Buy It Now 54m 47s
HOT If That's The Way You Want It.. 1978 BIG TREE BT-76005 LP EX Disco FUNK Soul USD $5.00 [0 bids]
54m 56s
45 RPM Record Bobby Darin If I Were A Carpenter / Rainin' Jukebox Title Strip USD $1.99 Buy It Now 55m 47s
SPECULUM If You Want Noize? 7" NEW green vinyl grind-gore Apocalyptic Visions USD $4.99 Buy It Now 56m 3s
If You Leave Me Now & Other Hits, Chicago, Good USD $4.99 Buy It Now 57m 15s
Vern Gosdin "If You're Gonna Do Me Wrong (Do It Right)" USD $7.19 Buy It Now 1h
PRINCE If I Was Your Girlfriend UK 12" picture isc WEA/Paisley Park 1987 USD $17.49 [1 bids]
1h
EDDIE HOLLAND - If Cleopatra Took A Chance - MOTOWN - 7" CANADA USD $35.87 Buy It Now 1h
If You Want Blood You've Got It [Remaster] by AC/DC (CD, Jul-2003, Epic (USA)) USD $6.83 Buy It Now 1h
SHAM 69 - IF THE KIDS ARE UNITED - A1/B1 - 7" VINYL USD $1.82 [0 bids]
ANDREW BROWN - IF WE TRY - 4 BROTHERS (NORTHERN SOUL - 45 RPM) USD $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
OF MONTREAL If He Is Protecting Our Nation Who Will Protect Big Oil CD NEW Rock USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
DUNHILL THE MAMA'S AND THE PAPA'S IF YOU CAN BELIEVE YOUR EYES & EARS LP RECORD USD $4.90 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Exuma "If It Feels Good, Do It" 45 Single Mono/Stereo USD $2.47 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Viola Wills "If You Could Read My Mind" 45 SIngle PROMO Mono/Stereo USD $2.47 Buy It Now 1h 6m
X5-78 Vinyl Record Album 45 Balboa Jerry Whitman If You Want Me To So Listen USD $24.95 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Jenny Jamison All in the Name of Love / If I Can Stay Away 1962 45rpm USD $10.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Mark Lopeman - Nice Work If You Can Get It [CD New] USD $19.52 Buy It Now 1h 9m
S'Il Suffisait d'Aimer (If It Is Enough to Love) by Céline Dion (CD, Oct-19 USD $1.00 [0 bids]
USD $6.99 Buy It Now
To be Frank - U (2015 New Release, Ft. If You Love Her) USD $16.44 Buy It Now 1h 14m
The Moments 45 IF I DIDN'T CARE / YOU MAKE ME FEEL GOOD ~ Stang VG r USD $3.00 [0 bids]
JOHN ROWLES - IF I ONLY HAD TIME / LEAPY LEE - LITTLE ARROWS 7" OLD GOLD VINYL USD $5.82 Buy It Now 1h 14m
PRECISIONS "IF THIS IS LOVE (I'D RATHER BE LONELY)" MONSTER NORTHERN LISTEN! USD $14.56 Buy It Now 1h 15m
HUNDRED REASONS cd single no case IF I COULD (cd gold colour) used USD $4.21 Buy It Now 1h 16m
KAY KYSER & HIS ORCH Boin-n-n-ng/If My Heart Had A Window 78 10" COLUMBIA 37338 USD $18.93 Buy It Now 1h 16m
WEAPON OF PEACE If b/w Misty Rhodes UK 7" PS 1981 near mint USD $5.82 Buy It Now 1h 16m
R.I.F. DA NATION, SOUL SURVIVORS / EP 1997 bee mo easy Rap USD $4.99 [0 bids]
NAS / IF I RULED THE WORLD 12" Lauryn Hill '96 Orig Rap USD $4.99 [0 bids]
IL The power of love Beyonce If I Were a Boy Taiwan CD USD $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
BOBBY DARIN, IF I WERE A CARPENTER / RAININ', ATLANTIC 7 INCH 45 RPM USD $1.44 [1 bids]
COLIN JAMES - If You Lean On Me - Excellent Con 7" Single Virgin America VUS 33 USD $5.82 Buy It Now 1h 22m
COLIN JAMES - If You Lean On Me - Excellent Con 7" Single Virgin America VUS 33 USD $5.80 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Ether 'If You Really Want To Know' Ltd blue 7" & 'She Could Fly' Ltd white 7" USD $5.10 [0 bids]
Manic Street Preachers 'If You Tolerate This.......' CD1 & CD2 USD $5.83 [0 bids]
If On A Winter's Night..., Sting, Very Good USD $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Amen Corner - (If Paradise Is) Half As Nice - Immediate 1969 7 Inch Vinyl Single USD $1.44 [0 bids]
Drumsound & Simon Bassline Smith ?- Friday / If U Need Someone : C.I.A.Drum Bass USD $7.27 Buy It Now 1h 27m
NIKKI rare IF YOU WANNA promo 1 track CD single 1989 lp version Geffen records USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
*INCUBUS - FUNGUS AMONGUS* 1996 CD If Not Now When? Light Grenades Morning View USD $3.88 Buy It Now 1h 28m
JACK TEAGARDEN & The VDisc All Stars If I could be with you 12" 78RPM V-DISC 418 USD $43.71 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Jimmy Clanton 1961 Ace 45rpm If I b/w What Am I Gonna Do cLEAn! TeeN USD $6.30 Buy It Now 1h 32m
EVELYN CHAMPAGNE KING - I DON'T KNOW IF ITS RIGHT 12" INCH SINGLE RECORD VINYL USD $13.10 Buy It Now 1h 32m
If I Don't Stay The Night Mccready, Mindy Audio CD USD $3.89 Buy It Now 1h 33m
IF? - Open Up Your Head - Excellent Condition 7" Single MCA MCS 1583 USD $5.82 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Grace If I Could Fly 12" Perfecto PERF127T 1996 Vinyl USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 34m
If... by Bill Ryder-Jones (CD, Jan-2012, Domino) USD $7.49 Buy It Now 1h 34m
CHUCK JACKSON If I Didn't Love You UK 45 USD $18.93 [0 bids]
ROLLING STONES Got Live if you want MONO 4500 Made 7 INCH Vinyl Black Friday RSD USD $28.49 Buy It Now 1h 36m
SAM & DAVE - IF YOU GOT THE LOVING (I GOT THE TIME) 7" VINYL USD $10.92 Buy It Now 1h 36m
MEL STREET * IF I HAD A CHEATING HEART & MEMORY ERASER * 45 RPM USD $6.50 Buy It Now 1h 39m
BONNIE TYLER - MARRIED MEN / IF YOU EVER NEED ME AGAIN - RCA PB 5164 USD $1.46 Buy It Now 1h 40m
1964 IF I'M A FOOL FOR LOVING YOU - JIMMY CLANTON USD $3.50 Buy It Now 1h 41m
TAMMI TERRELL & MARVIN GAYE - KEEP ON LOVIN' ME HONEY / IF THIS WORLD WERE MINE USD $11.65 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Dobby Dobson - If Only I Had Time [CD New] USD $15.07 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Merle Haggard "If We Make It Through December" USD $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 42m
WILL OSBORNE If It Rains Who Cares There's Honey On The Moon Tonight DECCA 1849 USD $18.93 Buy It Now 1h 43m
BORIS GARDINER-OH IF I LOSE YOUR LOVE / DON'T LOOK BACK - LOVER ROCK - 45 7" USD $26.99 Buy It Now 1h 46m
AC/DC IF YOU WANT BLOOD YOU'VE GOT I LP Vinyl Album RECORD NEW USD $33.99 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Paul Carrack - When You Walk In The Room / If You See Her Walkin' 45 rpm 1988 NM USD $2.00 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Johnny Mathis NM 45 rpm "If We Only Have Love" on Columbia USD $1.50 Buy It Now 1h 48m
OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN.....IF NOT FOR YOU (BOB DYLAN) & THE BIGGEST CLOWN..CAN HEAR USD $2.24 [2 bids]
JOHNNY HUMBIRD If I Could Come Back/I THOUGH I'D NEVER SEE THE DAY USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1h 50m
VINTAGE RECORD MICHAEL MCDONALD IF THAT'S WHAT IT TAKES LP VINYL RECORD VTG 1982 USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Malaguena, Music if Cuba by Percy Faith and His Orchestra-Original LP USD $5.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Review by apps79
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"