IF

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

Fibonaccis Number / More Live IfFibonaccis Number / More Live If
Import · Remastered
Repertoire 2010
If 5If 5
Imports 2016
Europe '72 By If (2002-06-17)Europe '72 By If (2002-06-17)
Repertoire
Repertoire 2007
If 2If 2
Import · Limited Edition
Repertoire 2006

Millie Jackson If Loving You Is Wrong/ The Rap, 1974 Spring Records SPR-155 USD $14.90 Buy It Now 1h 30m
CURTIS YOUNG & THE 5 SINGING SONS If You Love Me Way You Say You Do AIR Shrink USD $10.74 Buy It Now 1h 30m
If I'm Honest Blake Shelton (Format: Audio CD) USD $13.81 Buy It Now 1h 33m
If You're Going Through Hell by Rodney Atkins (CD, Jul-2006, Curb) USD $9.98 Buy It Now 1h 35m
The Troggs(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)You Can Cry If You Want To-Fontana-F 1622-US-Ex/Ex USD $11.10 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Manfred Mann(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)If You Gotta Go, Go Now-HMV-POP 1466-UK-Ex/Ex+ USD $7.83 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Ribeye Brothers If I Had a Horse CD USD $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m
THE RUBETTES_I Can Do It_If You've Got Time_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS!_ro1 USD $9.08 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Sarah Vaughan - If You Could See Me Now [2 CD Set] USD $4.82 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Vera Lynn IF I AM DREAMING & SONGS OF THE TUNEFUL TWENTIES USD $6.52 Buy It Now 1h 40m
SWEET CREAM (I Don't Know What I'd Do) If You Ever Left Me USA 7" EX Cond USD $9.14 Buy It Now 1h 42m
If You Leave Me Now by Chicago (CBS 1976) CBS 4603 USD $1.16 [0 bids]
THE MELLOW MOODS Tell Love Hello/If You See Him USA 7" EX Cond USD $13.06 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Creed What If CD USD $4.43 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Nields If You Lived Here Youd Be Home Now CD USD $3.93 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Severed Limb - If You Ain't Livin You're A Dead Man 12" Vinyl LP NEW USD $15.68 Buy It Now 1h 45m
A flock of seagulls - wishing , if I had a photograph of you great cond uk 7" USD $1.29 [0 bids]
JIMMIE PETERS Lipstick Traces & Even If It's Wrong Promo on 45 RPM Record USD $10.95 Buy It Now 1h 48m
If on a Winter's Night... [CD/DVD] by Sting (CD, Oct-2009, 2 Discs, Decca) USD $25.06 Buy It Now 1h 49m
DRAKE IF YOU'RE READING THIS IT'S TOO LATE (2015) BRAND NEW SEALED CD USD $15.13 Buy It Now 1h 53m
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $11.70 Buy It Now 1h 53m
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $26.14 Buy It Now 1h 53m
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $19.55 Buy It Now 1h 53m
? THE VACCINES If You Wanna ? song words poster art print - A1 A2 A3 or A4 USD $15.62 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Vinyl Record Petula Clark - If I had my way. Pye Record USD $1.29 [0 bids]
If These Trees Could Talk - Red Forest CD New & Sealed USD $15.48 Buy It Now 1h 56m
Incubus - If Not Now, When? CD New & Sealed USD $5.74 Buy It Now 1h 56m
Various - If I Stay (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) CD New USD $8.28 Buy It Now 1h 56m
Dickson, Amy - Catch Me If You Can CD New & Sealed USD $15.48 Buy It Now 1h 56m
If These Trees Could Talk - Above The Earth, Below The Sky CD New USD $15.48 Buy It Now 1h 56m
Mark OMalley : If I Can Dream CD USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 57m
FIVE - IF YA GETTIN DOWN - CD - 3 TRACK SINGLE USD $2.60 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Just Surrender If These Streets Could Talk CD USD $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 57m
AC/DC - If You Want Blood You've Got It CD New & Sealed USD $10.94 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Willie Nile - If I Was A River (NEW 12" VINYL LP) USD $29.13 Buy It Now 1h 59m
MARVIN GAYE Try It Baby If My Heart Could Sing TAMLA DJ MOTOWN NORTHERN SOUL 45 USD $24.84 [7 bids]
INCUBUS-IF NOT NOW WHEN (BONUS TRACKS) CD NEW USD $14.71 Buy It Now 2h
Catch Me If You Can by Rob Shaw (CD, Jun-2011, Ghostlight) USD $19.73 Buy It Now 2h
7" Elvis Presley Help Me / If You Talk In Your Sleep 1974 RCA Records USD $2.60 Buy It Now 2h 3m
If Lute Could Speak ... (CD, Apr-2004, Dux Records) USD $22.98 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Various Artists If You Make It So CD USD $4.43 Buy It Now 2h 4m
If You Could Read My Mind [Single] by Viola Wills (CD, Oct-2011) USD $18.23 Buy It Now 2h 5m
7"-Single PRINCE - If I Was Your Girlfriend / Shockadelica (1987) GERMANY PS USD $29.99 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Harry Secombe ?-If I Ruled The World- 12" Vinyl LP Compilation USD $1.29 [0 bids]
If There's a Will, There's Still Nothing by Lanemeyer (CD, Aug-2000, Too Hep) USD $16.01 Buy It Now 2h 10m
THE ILLUSION If it's so CANADA ORIG 1970 1st Press DOT label PSYCH LP Vinyl USD $19.18 Buy It Now 2h 13m
AFTER ALL - IF YOU NEED ME - PORTUGAL 45 SINGLE USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
MARIT LARSEN "IF A SONG COULD GET..." CD RE-RELEASE NEW+ USD $17.12 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Sting If I Ever Lose My Faith - Digipak CD USD $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 14m
SMOKEY ROBINSON & MIRACLES IF YOU CAN WANT 1st PRESS TMG 648 1968 EX+ COPY USD $31.37 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Sugar If I Cant Change Your Mind Bob Mould Husker Du USD $0.01 [0 bids]
USD $1.29 Buy It Now
" Barry Manilow-If I Should Love Again "RARE" Arista-204 050 "VINYL-LP-RECORD" USD $21.57 Buy It Now 2h 16m
THE ASTRONAUTS EP PS Japan IF I HAD A HAMMER A0491 USD $23.00 Buy It Now 2h 16m
If 3 by If (CD, Apr-2007, Repertoire) USD $21.08 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Not Tonight & The Headaches - If You We... - Not Tonight & The Headaches CD SALN USD $14.18 Buy It Now 2h 20m
I've Got to Know (If You Want My Love) [Single] by Urban Dance Orchestra (CD,... USD $13.48 Buy It Now 2h 21m
adam faith/if he tells you[1964] USD $1.31 [0 bids]
If You Should Ever Fall on Hard Times [Digipak] * by The Iguanas (CD,... USD $19.02 Buy It Now 2h 21m
The Bluetones Solomon Bites The Worm If CD Single Australian PolyGram 1998 Card USD $4.50 [0 bids]
USD $7.53 Buy It Now
CHICAGO - IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW - 7" VINYL 1976 CBS RECORDS USD $3.91 Buy It Now 2h 25m
2 GABRIELLE CD SINGLES 'BECAUSE OF YOU' & 'IF YOU REALLY CARED' USD $5.22 Buy It Now 2h 27m
BOBBY GOLDSBORO 7" PS Japan IF YOU GO AWAY x6360 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Heinrich I. F. Biber; Johann H. Schmelzer: 17th Century Music & Dance from... USD $20.54 Buy It Now 2h 30m
BILLY OCEAN-mystery lady/if i should lose you OZ JIVE 1985 USD $1.51 [0 bids]
THE TAMPERER FT MAYA - IF YOU BUY THIS RECORD 12" VINYL RECORD DJ 90S HOUSE USD $2.60 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Duke Danger : If It Aint One Thing Its Another - CD SEALED USD $3.35 Buy It Now 2h 31m
12" 45 RPM VARIOUS ARTISTS Land Of Africa MUSIC IF LIFE Shrink NM/NM- USD $11.00 Buy It Now 2h 33m
78 rpm IF I WERE A BLACKBIRD / SONG OF THE MOUNTAINS ronnie ronalde DB 2654 USD $19.61 Buy It Now 2h 34m
INCUBUS : IF NOT NOW WHEN (CD) sealed USD $8.88 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Sugar 'If I Can't Change Your Mind' CD single/EP (Bob Mould) 1993 on Creation USD $3.91 Buy It Now 2h 40m
78rpm RONNIE RONALDE if i were a blackbird / song of the mountains DB 2654 USD $19.61 Buy It Now 2h 40m
DAVID ALLAN COE : LIVE: IF THAT AIN'T COUNTRY (CD) sealed USD $8.88 Buy It Now 2h 40m
BROOKS & DUNN : IF YOU SEE HER (CD) sealed USD $8.88 Buy It Now 2h 40m
TONY BENNETT : IF I RULED THE WORLD: SONGS FOR THE JET SET (CD) sealed USD $8.88 Buy It Now 2h 40m
BARRY MANILOW : IF I SHOULD LOVE AGAIN (CD) sealed USD $8.88 Buy It Now 2h 40m
HAROLD & BLUE NOTES MELVIN : IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME BY NOW: BEST OF (CD) sealed USD $8.88 Buy It Now 2h 40m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - IF I SAY YES - 5 STAR - PB40981 USD $9.14 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Fire Emblem Fates if & Awakening Kakusei CD Original Soundtrack Nintendo Japan USD $179.99 Buy It Now 2h 42m
NEW If This Is House I Want My Money Back 3 (Vinyl) USD $28.71 Buy It Now 2h 42m
30/11/85PN49 ADVERT: GREAT TRACKS 0N IF ITS NOT A HIT ILL EAT MY HAT 7X5 USD $6.52 Buy It Now 2h 42m
If You Leave Me Now [Single] by Stevie B (CD, Oct-2011) USD $18.23 Buy It Now 2h 43m
Lulu - Even If I Could Change - Atlantic K 10185 - 7-inch Vinyl Record USD $6.66 Buy It Now 2h 45m
1927 - If I Could - YZ402 - 7-inch Vinyl Record USD $5.54 Buy It Now 2h 47m
K's CHOICE If You're Not Scared RARE 2T U.S. REMIX Promo CD Single SARAH BETTENS USD $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Fire Emblem Fates if Original Soundtrack W / clear File CD Data DVD Booklet USD $199.99 Buy It Now 2h 50m
Hank Ballard And The Midnighters: Let's Go, Let's Go, Let's Go / If You'd 45 USD $4.25 Buy It Now 2h 51m
MERCURY REV: DESERTER'S SONGS [Opus 40,Pick Up If You're There,Endlessly++] USD $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 51m
If I Didn't Care [Hallmark] by The Ink Spots (CD, Apr-2003, Hallmark... USD $14.43 Buy It Now 2h 53m
If You Leave Me Now (And Other Hits) [2012] by Chicago (CD, Mar-2012, Rhino... USD $8.98 Buy It Now 2h 54m
If I Only Knew Your Name by Arthur Godfrey (CD, Mar-2005, Stampman Records) USD $19.63 Buy It Now 2h 55m
If Only You Were Lonely by Hawthorne Heights (CD, Feb-2006, Victory Records... USD $13.00 Buy It Now 2h 55m
If on a Winter's Night... [Digipak] by Sting (CD, Oct-2009, Decca (USA)) USD $15.87 Buy It Now 2h 56m
Rebecca St. James IF I HAD ONE CHANCE TO TELL YOU SOMETHING Christian Music CD USD $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 56m
Feldspar - If We're Still Together - 5 Track USD $5.22 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Nice Orig Riverside 45 DAVID THORNE If You Should Ever Need Me / I'll Be Here USD $6.93 Buy It Now 2h 57m
DARRELL BARNES - If I Could (CD 2000) USD $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 57m
MIDGE URE IF I WAS 1985 GERMAN PS NM COPY USD $6.52 Buy It Now 2h 58m
I Wonder If You Noticed I'm Sorry Is A Lovely Sound It Keeps Things From Gett... USD $29.41 Buy It Now 3h 2m
GERI HALLIWELL - SCREAM IF YOU WANNA GO FASTER - INDONESIAN CASSETTE USD $3.78 [0 bids]

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Review by apps79
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Review by Matti
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"