IF

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

Repertoire 2007
Fibonaccis Number / More Live IfFibonaccis Number / More Live If
Import · Remastered
Repertoire 2010

Rolling Stones "Got Live if you want it" 2002 Remasters CD New USD $12.65 Buy It Now
Terence Trent D'Arby - Wishing Well / If You Let Me Stay, CBS 651115-6 Ex+ USA USD $10.12 Buy It Now
VARIOUS ARTISTS - If 6 Was 9: A Tribute To Jimi Hendrix ** Like New - Mint ** USD $48.95 Buy It Now
BILLY ECKSTINE If She Walked Into My Life LP Soul Jazz Stax Lovely copy USD $22.79 Buy It Now
MELISSA ETHERIDGE_If I Wanted To_used CD-s single_ships from AUS!_zz21_K6e USD $24.12 Buy It Now
JENNIFER LOPEZ If You Had My Love Unique!DJ PROMO REMIXES CD Single BRAZIL USD $69.99 Buy It Now
(C72) Naked & The Boys, If You Find Love - DJ CD USD $2.47 Buy It Now
WET WET WET - IF I NEVER SEE YOU AGAIN - CD - 4 TRACK SINGLE USD $2.52 Buy It Now
DAMAGE - SO WHAT IF I - CD - 3 TRACK SINGLE USD $2.52 Buy It Now
NORMAN NARDINI If You Don't Want Me VINYL 12 SINGLE RECORD Promo USD $5.00 Buy It Now
BRENDA LEE 7" PS Japan IF YOU LOVE ME ,I LEFT MY HEART IN SAN FRANCISCO x6888 USD $6.00 Buy It Now
ROD STEWART - Rod Stewart: If We Fall in Love Tonight - CD ** Brand New ** USD $25.49 Buy It Now
BUDGIE - If Swallowed Do Not Induce Vomiting - Vinyl (LP) USD $22.57 Buy It Now
MUSCLES: IF IT RELAXES YOUR MIND/MUSIC IS OUR MESSAGE 7" VINYL USD $3.80 Buy It Now
KIP ANDERSON: IF THAT DON'T MAKE YOU CRY & WITHOUT A WOMAN; 1966 CHECKER 1145 45 USD $11.00 Buy It Now
TYRONE DAVIS IF YOU HAD A CHANGE IN MIND / TRUE LOVE IS HARD TO FIND 7" SOUL USD $5.00 Buy It Now
George HamiltonIV"If YouDon't Know/A Rose&A BabyRuth"45 USD $4.95 Buy It Now
Peggy Lee - Blues Cross Country + If You Go - Peggy Lee CD SMVG USD $23.98 Buy It Now
CONNIE FRANCIS 7" PS Japan IF MY PILLOW COULD TALK x0420 USD $25.00 Buy It Now
REGINA BELLE - If I Could - CD USD $12.75 Buy It Now
ROBERT SCHIMMEL - If You Buy This CD, I Can Get This Car ** Like New - Mint ** USD $14.95 Buy It Now
WHITEY SHAFER "IF I SAY I LOVE YOU / I'LL BREAK OUT AGAIN TONIGHT" 1981 DJ HEAR! USD $6.00 Buy It Now
Wilson Pickett - If You Need Me - 1970 England - Joy - JOYS 181 - Vinyl LP USD $10.07 Buy It Now
JENNIFER LOPEZ - IF YOU HAD MY LOVE CD SINGLE B3 USD $2.52 Buy It Now
John Mcdermott - If Ye Break Faith - John Mcdermott CD KKVG USD $5.63 Buy It Now
Shine, Brendan - If You Ever Go Over to Ireland (UK ... - Shine, Brendan CD YAVG USD $3.85 Buy It Now
Charles Earland With Najee - If Only For... - Charles Earland With Najee CD VGVG USD $8.44 Buy It Now
If You Had My Love [Single] by Jennifer Lopez (CD, Jan-2004, CBS Records) USD $4.00 Buy It Now
Joe Papoose Fritz/If I Didn't Love You So-Cerelle/78 rpm/Peacock 1640/V+ USD $85.00 Buy It Now
Northern Soul 45 AMEN CORNER If Paradise Is Half As Nice 1969 UK Demo 7" USD $14.99 Buy It Now
The Korgis - If It's Alright With You Baby - Rialto - 1980 #749210 USD $2.52 Buy It Now
If It's Too Cute Set It On Fire By Not Waving But Drowning USD $12.98 Buy It Now
Caravan If i could do it all over again, i'd do it all for you - 1970 Metronome USD $19.99 Buy It Now
FREDDIE & THE DREAMERS - IF YOU GOTTA MAKE A FOOL OF SOMEBODY - 1963 VG+ USD $3.17 Buy It Now
Jesse Rose - What Do You Do If You Don't [New CD] USD $8.49 Buy It Now
38 Special If I'd Been The One / Twentieth Century Fox 7" 45 rpm 1983 A USD $6.00 Buy It Now
WHITNEY HOUSTON - If I Told You That / I'm Your Baby - CD ** Brand New ** USD $48.95 Buy It Now
WHITNEY HOUSTON - If I Told You That / I'm Your Baby - CD ** Like New - Mint ** USD $32.95 Buy It Now
Original 1966 LP THE ROLLING STONES Got Live If You Want It! London Mono LL3349 USD $19.95 Buy It Now
ARILD ANDERSEN - If You Look Far Enough - CD ** Like New - Mint ** USD $32.95 Buy It Now
If You Could Read My Mind USD $10.60 Buy It Now
CONNIE DOVER - If Ever I Return - CD ** Very Good condition ** USD $11.49 Buy It Now
CONNIE DOVER - If Ever I Return - CD ** Brand New ** USD $15.75 Buy It Now
If You'Re Reading This It's Too Late - Drake (EDITED) - CD Album Damaged Case USD $7.58 Buy It Now
45 R&B Laura Lee rip off-if you can beat me rockin Buddha USA NM- HEAR USD $3.78 Buy It Now
IF YOU'RE HAPPY AND YOU KNOW IT SING ALONG VOLUME 2 ABC  USD $22.58 Buy It Now
BILLY WALKER - If I'm losing you - US 1975 7" USD $4.43 Buy It Now
CASSETTE ERIC CLAPTON & THE YARDBIRDS GOT LOVE IF YOU WANT IT USD $5.05 Buy It Now
Incubus - If Not Now When CD - CD Album Damaged Case USD $7.58 Buy It Now
10" 78RPM - EDDIE FISHER - IF IT WERE UP TO ME (HMV B.10421) USD $3.80 Buy It Now
JASON DONOVAN 7" record two tracks EVERY DAY IF I LOVE YOU MORE USD $3.79 Buy It Now
Black Velvet/If You Want To [Single] by Alannah Myles (Cassette, 1992) USD $5.99 Buy It Now
R. Kelly - If I Could Turn Back the Hands of Time [Single] CD 1999 USD $2.63 Buy It Now
Pete Shelley - No One Like You / If You Ask Me - 45 PS USD $5.77 Buy It Now
Rihanna - IF IT'S LOVIN' YOU WANT REMIX 12" Single NM USD $4.99 Buy It Now
GENE ALLISON,"You Can Make It If You Try"/ BOB & EARL "Harlem Shuffle" NEW 45 USD $5.98 Buy It Now
Jack Nathan if Glen Miller played the hits of today Vinyl LP USD $3.79 Buy It Now
the tamperer | if you buy this record your life be better | Good condition USD $1.73 Buy It Now
MN8, IF YOU ONLY LET ME IN, M/M, 4 Track, CD Single, Picture Sleeve, COLUMBIA, 6 USD $3.79 Buy It Now
MICA PARIS ~ If I Love U 2 Nite ~ 12" Single PS USD $11.38 Buy It Now
DEACONS: You Can Make It If You Try-You Can Make From Here-U.S. 7" Camelot Recs. USD $158.98 Buy It Now
MNEK, IF TRUTH BE TOLD, EX/VG, 1 Track, Promotional CD Single, Picture Sleeve, USD $3.79 Buy It Now
MNEK, IF TRUTH BE TOLD, M/M, 1 Track, Promotional CD Single, Picture Sleeve, MO USD $3.79 Buy It Now
NEW - If You Don't Know Me By Now by Melvin, Harold USD $3.00 Buy It Now
GEORGE CLINTON P-FUNK ALLSTARS : IF ANYBODY GETS FUNKED UP Vinyl EP 33rpm EX USD $12.66 Buy It Now
ROLLING STONES / RONNIE WOOD - "IF YOU DON'T WANT MY LOVE" UK 7" M- VINYL USD $19.99 Buy It Now
IF HOPE DIES THE GROUND CD METAL THRASH HARDCORE MINT USD $5.00 Buy It Now
Huey Lewis & the News, If This Is It ~ 1984 Chrysalis 45 +PS USD $2.77 Buy It Now
The Group, But You Know I Love You/If's a Mighty Big Word ~ Pete promo 45 USD $3.77 Buy It Now
IF HOPE DIES LIFE CD METAL THRASH HARDCORE MINT USD $4.00 Buy It Now
MO, IF YOU WANT MY LOVE, M/M, 4 Track, Promotional CD Single, Picture Sleeve, EM USD $3.79 Buy It Now
JENNIFER LOPEZ - If You Had My Love / No Me Ames - CD ** Like New - Mint ** USD $10.95 Buy It Now
SAMMY KAYE IF YOU GOT THE TIME USD $1.99 [0 bids]
USD $3.69 Buy It Now
JANE MORGAN If Only I Could Live My Life Again 7" VINYL Tri Centre Silver Top USD $6.32 Buy It Now
DAVE BERRY "IF YOU WAIT FOR LOVE" N.MINT DUTCH PS 7" UK BEAT MOD STOCKCOPY! USD $19.99 Buy It Now
GREG BROWN - If I Had Known: Essential Recordings Vol. 1, 1980-1996 - CD USD $20.95 Buy It Now
HOT ROD CIRCUIT - If I Knew What I Knew Then - CD ** Like New - Mint ** USD $17.75 Buy It Now
ROBINS, THE---IF IT'S SO BABY (DooWop 78's) USD $21.00 Buy It Now
78rpm - CHARLES KALEY w/ Clyde McCoy's Orch: I Would If I Could but I Can't: dsi USD $27.00 Buy It Now
If It Ain't Broke, Break It! by Starwood Hard Rock New & Sealed Free US Shipping USD $6.99 Buy It Now
JAMES RAY 45 - IF YOU GOTTA MAKE A FOOL OF SOMEBODY / IT'S BEEN A DRAG USD $3.95 Buy It Now
ROD STEWART IF WE FALL IN LOVE TONIGHT cassette tape album T1018 USD $5.05 Buy It Now
FAYE ADAMS,"Shake A Hand" / "If You Love Me No More" NEW 45 USD $4.98 Buy It Now
COUNTING CROWS - If I Could Give All My Love - CD USD $17.95 Buy It Now
PAUL NICHOLAS IF YOU WERE.. Original 1977 RM Trade Press Advert Poster Size ## USD $9.67 Buy It Now
JIMMY & JOHNNY If You Dont Somebody Else Will ROCKABILLY BOPPER 45 RPM RECORD USD $25.00 Buy It Now
BULLDOG BREED - IF TEARS WERE ROSES - RARE GERMAN 60'S PS 45 USD $19.99 Buy It Now
THE TROGGS - YOU CAN CRY IF YOU WANT TO - SOUTH AFRICA '68M PS 7" ULTRA RARE USD $24.99 Buy It Now
Crooklyn Clan - If Y'all Don't Give A F***! 12" vinyl single - party/mix track USD $6.99 Buy It Now
23449 Harry Secombe If I Ruled The World CD (1989) USD $6.24 Buy It Now
Diana Ross "IF WE HOLD ON TOGETHER / CHAIN REACTION" 7" vinyl single - LOOK! USD $3.79 [0 bids]
Olivia Newton John - If You Love Me Let Me Know CD MCAD-31018 Japan manufactured USD $119.99 Buy It Now
embrace cds,outof nothing,drawnfrom memory,the goodwill out,if youve never,firew USD $6.32 [0 bids]
MINT CONDITION (ARTIST) - If You Love Me - CD ** Like New - Mint ** USD $18.95 Buy It Now
THE DAVE CLARK FIVE "Catch Us If You Can"... 45 rpm w/sleeve... EPIC... 9833 USD $2.49 [1 bids]
FOURMOST: A Little Bit Of Loving-If You Cry-U.S. 7" 1964 Atco Records 45-6307 DJ USD $64.98 Buy It Now
Columbia 10" 78/Buddy Clark/If I Had My Life To Live Over/It Might Have Been... USD $3.00 Buy It Now
CURTIS MAYFIELD If I Were Only A Child Again 45 from 1973 THE IMPRESSIONS USD $4.99 Buy It Now
GENE PITNEY If I Only Had Time Norwegian 45PS 1969 USD $9.07 Buy It Now
Pop 45 Billy Ocean "There'll Be Sad Songs/ If I Should Lose You" Jive 1986 NM USD $3.00 Buy It Now

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Review by apps79
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Review by Matti
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"