IF

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

Buy IF If Music

Fibonaccis Number / More Live IfFibonaccis Number / More Live If
Remastered
Repertoire 2010
$9.46
If 4 - German Tour Edition 72 + Bonus [UK Import]If 4 - German Tour Edition 72 + Bonus [UK Import]
$22.63
IF 3IF 3
Extra tracks
Body Heat 2007
$11.98
If 3If 3
2004
$29.30

45 RPM EP, Manny Lopez & Orch, Cha-Cha-Cha, If You Please, RCA EPA 1-1409 PS NM USD $21.00 Buy It Now 19s
Perfume If you wanna Maxi-Single Music CDs w/OBI Japan Used USD $17.32 Buy It Now 2m 43s
Perfume If you wanna CD/DVD LTD Maxi-Single Music CDs Japan Used F/S USD $24.25 Buy It Now 2m 47s
GIRL GROUP DOO WOP 45 RPM - THE CHANTELS - END 1030 - "IF YOU TRY" USD $30.00 Buy It Now 3m 20s
LEE GREENWOOD If There's Any Justice 1987 RARE Record Club Country 8 TRACK Tape USD $25.99 Buy It Now 6m 56s
CAPRICE 110 James Ray - If You Gotta Make A Fool Of Somebody VG/VG 7" EP USD $1.90 Buy It Now 7m 3s
Anakatacombo : If Once CD USD $3.89 Buy It Now 9m 54s
COG - WHAT IF -2 TRACK CD- (CARD SLEEVE) USD $2.07 Buy It Now 10m 2s
David Crosby Here If You Listen DIGIPAK CD NEW USD $14.46 Buy It Now 10m 8s
Bobby Sherman 45 rpm "Little Woman" b/w "La La La (If I Had You)" USD $2.00 Buy It Now 13m 42s
PERSUADERS: THANKS FOR LOVING ME & IF THIS IS WHAT YOU CALL LOVE 1972 VG++ 45 USD $11.00 Buy It Now 14m 5s
What If [Single] by Natural (Group) (CD, Sep-2003, Trans Continental Records) USD $3.49 Buy It Now 16m 55s
STING IF YOU LOVE SOMEBODY SET THEM FREE USD $2.99 Buy It Now 17m 30s
ODYSSEY - If You're Looking For A Way Out [Vinyl Single 7 Inch,1980] RCA 5 *VG+ USD $2.51 Buy It Now 18m 5s
DARYL BRAITHWAITE If You Walked Away 7" 45 rpm record NEW + jukebox title strip USD $13.08 Buy It Now 21m 8s
JIMMY LEE & JOHNNY MATHIS (If You Don't Somebody Else) COUNTRY 45 RPM RECORD USD $25.00 Buy It Now 21m 41s
KENNY ARCHER "If I Should Lose You!" BRAND NEW CD Country Gospel USD $10.33 Buy It Now 23m 26s
McCrea Adams : Damned if I Know CD USD $3.89 Buy It Now 24m 2s
Nefertiti - L.I.F.E. - (Living In Fear Of Extinction) '94 LP EU ORG!! DJ Pooh USD $9.99 [0 bids]
26m 52s
STANKY BROWN GROUP "IF THE LIGHTS DON'T.." LP '77 EXC!! USD $17.99 Buy It Now 27m 3s
John Cougar Mellencamp Cassette Lot Scarecrow/Nothing Matters & What If It Did USD $9.99 Buy It Now 27m 44s
Linda Clifford If My Friends Could See Me Now CUK 5021 1978 Record Vinyl LP R28 USD $3.00 Buy It Now 29m 50s
Jess Moskaluke - Catch Me If You Can [New CD] Canada - Import USD $7.78 Buy It Now 31m 41s
GLEN CAMPBELL "IT'S A SIN WHEN YOU LOVE SOMEBODY / IF I WERE LOVING YOU" 45 MINT USD $3.00 Buy It Now 33m 15s
LITTLE RIVER BAND - IF I GET LUCKY / PIECE OF MY HEART - 7" 45 VINYL RECORD 1990 USD $5.43 Buy It Now 34m 43s
OMD - IF YOU LEAVE - 7" 45 VINYL RECORD 1986 USD $6.81 Buy It Now 34m 43s
CHEAP TRICK - EVERYTHING WORKS IF YOU LET IT - RARE PROMO 7"45 VINYL RECORD 1980 USD $10.26 Buy It Now 34m 45s
CRYSTAL GAYLE - IF YOU EVER CHANGE YOUR MIND - PROMO 7" 45 VINYL RECORD 1980 USD $5.43 Buy It Now 34m 46s
MAVIS STAPLES IF ALL I WAS WAS BLACK DIGIPAK CD NEW USD $15.76 Buy It Now 34m 47s
Robert Goulet - One Life, One Dream / If There's A Way 7" VG+ Promo Vinyl 45 USD $6.00 Buy It Now 36m 4s
SIMPLY RED - IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME BY NOW Very rare 1989 OZ Single Release! M- USD $6.88 Buy It Now 39m 19s
DIGGY TAL & THE NUMBERS - if it's love that you want **NEW+SEALED** ORIG 1981 USD $29.88 Buy It Now 43m 2s
Exc. cond. RARE 1956 Betty Johnson:I Dreamed/If It's Wrong To Love You 45 BALLY USD $2.96 Buy It Now 44m 35s
KIM WIDE - IF I CANT HAVE YOU - 12" VINYL SINGLE USD $2.50 [0 bids]
46m 2s
Harold Melvin - If You Don't Know Me By Now 7" VG+ ZS7 3520 Vinyl 45 USD $7.00 Buy It Now 46m 4s
Harold Melvin - If You Don't Know Me By Now 7" VG+ ZS7 3520 Vinyl 45 Promo USD $15.00 Buy It Now 46m 18s
DON GIBSON - IF YOU EVER GET TO HOUSTON - VINYL LP -BUY 1 GET 1 LP FREE USD $5.99 Buy It Now 47m 28s
COWBOY COPAS 78 KING PROMO VG+ - DOLL OF CLAY/IF WISHES WERE HORSES RARE USD $10.00 [0 bids]
USD $20.00 Buy It Now
47m 51s
Terry Jack - 45 rpm Flashback 87: If You Go Away/Seasons in the Sun; Cond V+ USD $5.93 Buy It Now 48m 47s
45 rpm The Blue Notes - Josie 800 - If You Love Me USD $35.00 [0 bids]
50m 10s
James Ray If You Gotta Make A Fool Of Somebioody On Caprice Original 45 USD $9.00 Buy It Now 50m 27s
NRBQ If I Don't Have You U.S. promo cd USD $2.99 Buy It Now 53m 19s
HELEN REDDY If We Could Still Be Friends b/w Delta Dawn 3645 7" 45rpm Vinyl VG++ USD $4.99 Buy It Now 53m 32s
Cher-Heart Of Stone-Cassette-1989 Geffen Records-"If I Could Turn Back Time" USD $2.99 Buy It Now 54m 13s
DENNY LILE: Hear The Bang / If You Stay On Solid Ground 45 (few lite sleevemark USD $15.00 Buy It Now 57m 12s
Lot of 2 R&B Disco Soul PROMO LPs LINDA CLIFFORD If My Friends Could See LINDA USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1h
Johnny Rodriguez Louisianna/I Wonder If I Ever 45 RPM USD $7.00 Buy It Now 1h
ANNA KING COME AND GET THESE MEMORIES/IF SOMEBODY TOLD YOU SMASH 1858 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Victrola 74654 Edward Johnson - Elijah - If With All Your Hearts 1920 12" 78 RPM USD $18.73 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Sheryl Crow by Sheryl Crow [Canada - A&M Rec.1996 - If It Makes You Happy]- MINT USD $5.16 Buy It Now 1h 6m
McCoy Tyner Lp Lot If 5 Records Jazz USD $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
VARIOUS ARTISTS - GOT BLUES IF YOU WANT IT USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $7.31 Buy It Now 1h 8m
If ?- If LP ST-539 / 1970 Jazz, Rock USD $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Frank Sinatra - If I Had Three Wishes/Learnin' The Blues-45 RPM Capitol Records USD $3.79 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Joel Crouse 3 Promo CD DVD Lot Electronic Press Kit If You Want Some USD $5.00 [0 bids]
USD $7.00 Buy It Now
CD-1996-SHERYL CROW-SELF TITLED-POP ROCK-IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY+ USD $1.29 [0 bids]
Gordon Lightfoot - If You Could Read My Mind (Vinyl / LP) USD $4.49 Buy It Now 1h 17m
NEMAS - IF WE COULD PLAY FASTER, WE WOULD USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $15.40 Buy It Now 1h 18m
If You Give A Moose A Muffin By Laura J'offense Numberoff.Cassette Ships N 24h USD $12.98 Buy It Now 1h 19m
CD Chicago If You Leave Me Now 25 or 6 to 4 No Tell Lover Saturday in the Park USD $3.95 Buy It Now 1h 20m
CZAR - NO ONE IS ALONE IF NO ONE IS ALIVE USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $13.20 Buy It Now 1h 20m
RARE!! IF YOU KNOW THE LORD ORIGINAL VINTAGE LP BY JAMES R. MCCOY EXCELLENT CON USD $10.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
A Love Like Ours by Barbra Streisand CD 1999 Columbia If You Ever Leave Me USD $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Doggys Angels Baby If Your Ready 12 Inch Single Vinyl Record Snoop Dogg Toi 4 Tk USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 25m
LENNY WELCH "IF YOU SEE MY LOVE / FATHER SEBASTIAN" 45 MINT USD $6.75 Buy It Now 1h 25m
BOBBY DARIN "IF A MAN ANSWERS / A TRUE TRUE LOVE" 45 USD $3.50 Buy It Now 1h 26m
DIAN HART "IF'S A MIGHTY BIG WORD / JOHNNY ONE TIME 45 USD $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 26m
JOHNNY CASH / JUNE CARTER "IF I WERE A CARPENTER" 45 USD $4.50 Buy It Now 1h 29m
The Rolling Stones Got LIVE If You Want It LL 3493 Lp Record USD $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Belle and Sebastian If you're feeling sinister - CD Compact Disc USD $7.30 Buy It Now 1h 37m
BARRY MANILOW - IF I SHOULD LOVE AGAIN - ORIGINAL VINYL LP USD $1.11 [0 bids]
Rolling Stones Got LIVE If You Want It Lp Record #2 USD $49.99 Buy It Now 1h 42m
William Morgan & The C's 45 If You're Looking For A Fool Baby You've Been Cryin USD $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 44m
MISHAP'S: If I Were A Carpenter / Come On Up 45 Hear! rare Rock USD $100.00 Buy It Now 1h 44m
CARAVAN - IF I COULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN + 4. JAPAN.OBI.MINI-LP SLEEVE USD $9.38 [2 bids]
BUDDY THOMAS: All Around Me / If Only Tomorrow 45 (dj, wol) Country USD $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
TOMMY GRAHAM: If These Walls / Ode To Spade 45 (interesting spoken word intros) USD $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Joe Alexander - 78rpm single 10-inch - Capitol #372 If I Had A Chance With You USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Clarence Carter and Candi, If You Can't Beat 'Em - Lonesomest, Atlantic 45-2875 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 49m
The Carlisles Mercury 70405 Moody's goose / if you dont want it E+ USD $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
The Escorts Essex 360 Yes Indeed / if you took your love from me E USD $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
CULTURE CLUB / DON'T MIND IF I DO JAPAN CD OOP W/OBI USD $21.99 Buy It Now 1h 50m
MARTI WEBB - IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW NEW CD USD $7.45 Buy It Now 1h 50m
TELLY SAVALAS if / rubber bands and bits of spring SPANISH 45 MCA 1975 USD $11.18 Buy It Now 1h 52m
UB 40 If It Happens Again / Nkomo to go-go's UK 45 DEP 1984 USD $11.18 Buy It Now 1h 52m
UB 40 If It Happens Again / Nkomo to go-go's UK 45 DEP 84 USD $11.18 Buy It Now 1h 52m
ELKIE BROOKS givin it up for your love / fool if you UK 45 A & M 1981 USD $10.59 Buy It Now 1h 52m
JOE DOLAN make me an island / if you care UK 45 PYE 1969 USD $10.59 Buy It Now 1h 52m
Rolling Stones Got LIVE If You Want It Lp Record #2 USD $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 53m
2LP Various If It's Not 100% U.k. Hip-hop, You Can Have SSR222 SSR Belgi USD $11.96 Buy It Now 1h 53m
John Cougar Nothin' Matters And What If It Did Album LP USD $17.95 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Rolling Stones Got LIVE If You Want It Lp Record 3 USD $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 55m
FONTANE SISTERS "SEVENTEEN / IF I COULD BE WITH YOU" 45 USD $2.00 Buy It Now 1h 56m
Unknown Artist : M - If You...(韓国盤) CD USD $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Rolling Stones Got LIVE If You Want It PS 493 Lp Record 4 USD $39.99 Buy It Now 2h
FREDDY FENDER If Your Ever In Texas LP ABC Rec. 1976 SEALED M 5E USD $6.49 Buy It Now 2h
Evelyn "Champagne" King 45 rpm I Don't Know If It's Right We're Going To A Party USD $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Rolling Stones Got LIVE If You Want It Lp Record 5 USD $69.99 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Bobby Darin "If I Were A Carpenter"/ "Rainin" 45 ATCO Label 60's POP in VG+ USD $2.50 Buy It Now 2h 7m
BELLAMY BROTHERS make me over / if I said HOLLAND 45 WARNER 1979 USD $10.59 Buy It Now 2h 8m

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Review by apps79
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Review by Matti
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"