If

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

Import · Limited Edition · Remastered
Repertoire 2007
IfIf
Hangar 1018 2004
Soul 45 Kool & The Gang - If You Feel Like Dancin' / Ladies Night On De-Lite USD $5.00 Buy It Now 31m 18s
Soul 45 Kool & The Gang - Take My Heart (You Can Have It If You Want It) / Celeb USD $5.00 Buy It Now 31m 46s
Soul 45 Kool & The Gang - Take My Heart (You Can Have It If You Want It) / Just USD $5.00 Buy It Now 31m 50s
PORTER WAGONER & DOLLY PARTON if you go i'll follow you 7" VG Promo JH-12119 45 USD $10.00 Buy It Now 34m 20s
Soul 45 Licoln Chase The 4 Most & Mat Methew'S Quintet - If I Were A Countryside USD $5.00 Buy It Now 37m 8s
Soul 45 Little Milton - Mr. Mailman (I Didn'T Want No Letter) / If That Ain'T A USD $5.00 Buy It Now 39m 18s
I'm looking for a yorkie puppy please email me if you would like to give or sell USD $0.99 [0 bids]
41m 17s
Soul 45 Llyod Price - If I Look A Little Blue / Question On Abc USD $5.00 Buy It Now 41m 35s
If Tomorrow Comes USD $4.00 Buy It Now 45m 3s
Huey Lewis And The News - If This Is It - 4 Track EP Import - Free Shipping USD $10.04 Buy It Now 45m 40s
BOBBY DARIN, Moritat (Mack The Knife)-If I Were A Carpenter, 45" VG USD $7.50 Buy It Now 46m 44s
KOOL & THE GANG Ladies Night/If You Feel Like Dancin 45rpm De-Lite Records 1979 USD $2.00 Buy It Now 48m 23s
Lot of 4 Star Trek VINTAGE SPOCK WRATH IF KHAN VOYAGE HOME THE MOTION PIC NICE USD $24.99 Buy It Now 49m 9s
MAMAS AND THE PAPAS**IF YOU CAN BELIEVE..**CD USD $4.95 Buy It Now 49m 28s
FREE US SH (int'l sh=$0-$3) ~LikeNew CD Marieann Meringolo: Imagine If We Only H USD $8.87 Buy It Now 50m 19s
Dangerous Summer If You Could Only Keep Me Alive CD USD $8.18 Buy It Now 50m 22s
45 HOLIDAY Little Jimmy Osmond if santa were my daddy Polydor Canada EX HEAR USD $7.84 Buy It Now 54m 28s
Northern Soul 45 - David Dee Since I've Been Loving You/If You Had A Change MINT USD $5.49 Buy It Now 58m 2s
Reba McEntire 9 CD Lot #1's The Best Of So Good Together If You See Him What If USD $39.99 Buy It Now 59m 5s
Soul 45 Odessey - Never Had It At All / If You'Re Lookin' For A Way Out On Rca USD $5.00 Buy It Now 59m 13s
1968 Troggs British Invasion Rock 45 (You Can Cry If You Want To) USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1h
The Manhattans 45 If My Heart Could Speak DELUXE USD $10.00 Buy It Now 1h
UB40 IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN / NKOMO A GO-GO 7" SINGLE USD $4.68 Buy It Now 1h
Tony Rico 45 If You Were Only Mine MOON USD $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 2m
If It Leads Me Back * by Lindsay McCaul (CD, Jan-2012, Reunion Records) USD $12.09 Buy It Now 1h 3m
1977 Thelma Houston Soul 45 (If It s the Last Thing I Do) USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Kane What If CD USD $4.76 Buy It Now 1h 13m
MOTION CITY SOUNDTRACK - EVEN IF IT KILLS ME -13 TRACK CD- USD $4.93 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Carolyn Franklin 45 IF YOU WANT ME / CAN'T HELP FEELING BLUE ~ M sealed in bag USD $7.69 Buy It Now 1h 13m
If The Price Is Right - Bonnie Pointer 810736021800 (CD Used Very Good) USD $11.94 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Javier Mendoza - If You Dare [CD New] USD $15.07 Buy It Now 1h 15m
What If [CD 2], Lightning Seeds, Very Good Maxi, Single USD $1.47 Buy It Now 1h 18m
HAROLD MELVIN & THE BLUENOTES If You Don't Know Me By Now 1972 PHILADELPIA INT'L USD $2.00 Buy It Now 1h 18m
TOM JONES 45 RPM "Green Green Grass of Home" & "If I Had You" VG- condition USD $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
1981 BARRY MANILOW LP If I Should Love Again - Still FACTORY SEALED USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
NEW RSD The Right Now 7" 45 If I Wanted To/I Am Who I Say I Am RECORD STORE DAY USD $17.58 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Rone ?- Bye Bye Macadam SEALED Infiné ?IF2049 VINYL 12" JUAN ATKINS/AQUARIAN RMX USD $13.71 Buy It Now 1h 24m
MICHAEL McDONALD, If That's What It Takes Doobie Sealed Mint Vinyl Ex Cover USD $10.99 Buy It Now 1h 25m
BARENAKED LADIES "IF I HAD $1000000" LP+LIVE VERS. 1996 UNPLAYED RADIO PROMO CD USD $6.95 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Jimmy Clanton If I'm A Fool For Loving You PHILIPS WITH JUKE BOX STRIP USD $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Soul 45 Ted Taylor - I'M Lonely Tonight / If I Thought You Needed Me On Ronn USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 30m
BODEANS If it Makes you RARE RADIO PROMO DJ CD single USD $0.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Razzy Baily 12" LP If You Had a Face MINT NEW SEALED SS FREE US SHIPPING USD $22.04 Buy It Now 1h 31m
If I Had One Chance To Tell You Something: Special Edition by Rebecca St.James USD $8.95 Buy It Now 1h 36m
John Cougar ?- Nothin' Matters And What If It Did, Vinyl LP Classic Rock USD $4.95 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Crystal Waters ?- Say...If You Feel Alright Vinyl, 12" Single USD $4.95 Buy It Now 1h 37m
SAUCE IF ANY /SPACEPOD OZ SCHMICKO MATTY WHITTLE GOD CRAIG MAUNDER SCOTT BILLING USD $6.81 [0 bids]
DANIEL AGUST - If You Leave Me Know - single (UK) SEALED CD Gus Gus USD $8.95 Buy It Now 1h 38m
Sonny Bebe - If I Could Turn Back Time CD-R [CD New] USD $10.10 Buy It Now 1h 40m
CD: Tonic - Lemon Parade / If You Could Only See Open Up Your Eyes Casual Affair USD $3.95 Buy It Now 1h 40m
If You Want to Defeat Your Enemy Sing His Song by Icicle Works CD made in the UK USD $11.96 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Studio All-Stars - If You Could Read My Mind CD-R [CD New] USD $10.10 Buy It Now 1h 45m
NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT (OCR) BY ORIGINAL CAST (CD) USD $22.77 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Waylon & Willie; If I Can Find a Clean Shirt on 45 USD $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 52m
BAREFOOT JERRY Promo "TWO MILE PIKE" 45 RPM Vinyl Record "IF THERE WERE ONLY... USD $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 53m
And If Only [Digipak] by Hot Club Sandwich (CD, Jun-2010, Hot Club Sandwich) USD $19.02 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Soul 45 The Stylistics - Funky Weekend / If You Are There On Avco USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Dino Desi & Billy ex 7 If You're Thinkin' what I'm Thinkin' / Pretty Flamingo USD $9.75 [0 bids]
JARS OF CLAY - IF I LEFT THE ZOO USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 59m
IF-THREE CD NEW USD $15.81 Buy It Now 2h 2m
"Humes, Helen"-Taint Nobodys Bizness If I Do Songs I Li CD NEW USD $11.38 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Oldies Vinyl 7" 45 - Webb Pierce - If You Were Me / Love, Love, Love - Decca USD $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Coldplay - What If/How You See The World (LIVE) - 2007 Picture Sleeve PS 7" USD $11.00 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Elvis Presley, Edge of Reality/If I Can Dream, black label, Aust. press USD $22.73 Buy It Now 2h 9m
LEE GREENWOOD "IF THERE'S ANY JUSTICE" (MY LOVER'S EYES +) LP RECORD - SEALED USD $2.95 [0 bids]
Freddie Hart If You Can't Feel It ( It Ain't There ) Record Capitol ST-11252#113 USD $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 9m
If - Maxine Braham (CD Used Very Good) USD $10.66 Buy It Now 2h 14m
If Corporations Are People Why Wont They Die - Albatwitch (CD Used Very Good) USD $12.77 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Casting Crowns #1 Christian Daywind Karaoke Style If We Are the Body CD+G New USD $13.94 Buy It Now 2h 14m
If I Can Dream by Elvis Presley/Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (CD, Oct-2015, RCA) USD $14.49 Buy It Now 2h 15m
RALPH FLANAGAN "IF I HAD A MAGIC CARPET / DOWN THE LINE" 45 NEAR MINT USD $3.75 Buy It Now 2h 17m
THE ALAN PARSONS PROJECT Damned If I Do Promotional 12" Vinyl Single VG++ Excell USD $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Double J- If It Ain't A Caddy (It Ain't A Car)- Cassette Single USD $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 22m
If I Had a Hammer 22 Legendary hits by Trini Lopez Cd Warner Special Products USD $25.99 Buy It Now 2h 23m
STATUS QUO IF YOU CANT STAND THE HEAT OZ VERTIGO SWIRL WHITE PAPER LABELS 1978 USD $9.85 [0 bids]
MGM 13410 Roy Orbison If You Can't Say Something Nice/Crawling Back 45 RPM USD $1.59 [0 bids]
Flying Burrito Bros CODY,CODY/IF YOU GOTTA GO~ A&M 1067 promo rock 45 rpm 7" USD $1.59 [0 bids]
RCA VICTOR~78~JAZZ PERRY COMO/RUSS CASE: IF I HAD ALL THE WORLD-/BECAUSE USD $14.99 [0 bids]
Nice Work If You Can Get It: Songs by the Gershwins by Michael Feinstein (CD,... USD $1.75 Buy It Now 2h 35m
If 3 [4009910109724] New CD USD $12.31 Buy It Now 2h 37m
George Beverly Shea If That Isn't Love CD Billy Grahams Hour Decision Favorites USD $23.99 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Rare new sealed Reba What if it's you cassette (1996) USD $15.22 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Patty Loveless Cassette "If My Heart Had Windows" 1988 MCA Country USD $1.95 Buy It Now 2h 43m
JOE HENDERSON "SNAP YOUR FINGERS / IF YOU SEE ME CRY" 45 NEAR MINT USD $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 43m
IF I HAD KNOWN / WITHIN MY HEART BY KEN JAMES USD $10.99 Buy It Now 2h 43m
Soul Nm! 45 Rufus Thomas - Blues In The Basement / If There Were No Music On Aor USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 43m
ROBIN HITCHCOCK & THE EGYPTIANS If You Were A Priest b/w Crawling 7" Soft Boys USD $7.13 Buy It Now 2h 44m
If on a Winter's Night... [Digipak] by Sting CD, Oct-2009, Decca USA USD $4.24 Buy It Now 2h 45m
AL B SURE "IF I'M NOT YOUR LOVER / SAME" 45 PROMO MINT USD $2.00 Buy It Now 2h 47m
Nat king Cole Capitol 45 A Fool Was I, If Love Is Good To Me USD $2.00 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Sealed! Nat King Cole Cassette Tape If I Give My Heart To You USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 49m
TEE SET * 45 * If You Do Believe In Love * 1970 #81 * COLOSSUS USD $4.50 Buy It Now 2h 51m
CELINE DION Unison CD 1990 Contemporary Pop If There Was Any Other Way USD $1.12 Buy It Now 2h 55m
HADES If At First You Don't Succeed CD ORG Cyclone Empire CYC 071-2 Thrash Metal USD $5.00 [0 bids]
Vintage JEFF FOXWORTHY You Might Be A Redneck If CD 212 USD $8.92 Buy It Now 2h 57m
SIGNED AUTOGRAPHED Letlive If I'm The Devil CD deftones glassjaw ticket lp USD $60.64 Buy It Now 2h 58m
BRUCE CHANNEL Number One Man / If Only I Had Known [45 Record] Smash S-1752 EX USD $5.00 Buy It Now 3h
Harry Secombe If I Ruled the World LP Still Sealed Contour Records 6870501 USD $19.95 Buy It Now 3h 3m
if Hitori Omou Renka Limited Edition Fire Emblem CD DVD Japan JBCZ-4016 Japan USD $36.70 Buy It Now 3h 5m
IF YOU SPOKE TO ME [USED CD] USD $10.96 Buy It Now 3h 5m
~ USD $13.33
CD if4
~ USD $14.49
More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Review by apps79
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Review by Matti
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"