IF

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

Repertoire 2007
Fibonaccis Number / More Live IfFibonaccis Number / More Live If
Import · Remastered
Repertoire 2010
If Sorrows Swim 0748252257833, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H US $20.91 Buy It Now 1h 32m
POCAHONTAS single IF I NEVER KNEW YOU love theme CD Jon Secada Shanice SPANISH v US $10.99 [0 bids]
Ac/Dc If you want blood record / album/ vinyl US $5.99 [0 bids]
George Clinton The P-Funk Allstars - If Anybody Gets Funked Up PROMO PARLIAMENT US $1.99 [0 bids]
SAM MOORE: If I Should Lose Your Love / Shop Around 45 Soul US $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 39m
PIEBALD If It Weren't for Venetian Blinds It Would Be Curtains for Us All CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
RCA Victor 78 LP They Say It's Wonderful / If You Were The Only Girl Perry Como US $2.99 [0 bids]
Wildchild (of Lootpack) - T.g.i.f. (thank God It's Funky NEW CD US $16.83 Buy It Now 1h 43m
PROMO* Spinners - If You Wanna Do A Dance *MODERN FUNK* Rare!! 1978 US $8.59 Buy It Now 1h 44m
FRIZZELL lefty/tv 20 song COUNTRY long black veil IF YOU'VE GOT THE MONEY new cd US $11.89 Buy It Now 1h 44m
TRINI LOPEZ MEXICAN EP KANSAS CITY/IF YOU WANT TO BE HAPPY/LONESOME TRAVELER US $2.99 [0 bids]
JOAN REGAN FADED FLOWERS & IF I GIVE MY HEART TO YOU DECCA F10373 US $3.90 Buy It Now 1h 51m
DOMENICK ALLEN / LIBERACE - I'll Play If You Sing - LP Signed DOMENICK ALLEN US $10.00 [0 bids]
HUEY LEWIS best HITS cd POWER OF LOVE heart rock n roll NEW DRUG if this is it US $10.99 [0 bids]
Static Jacks - If You're Wrong NEW CD US $14.21 Buy It Now 1h 57m
CHAMPAGME [KILL ME IF YOU CAN ] JAPAN DJ Promo CD 420 US $4.99 [0 bids]
2h
Hawthorne Heights : If Only You Were Lonely (Girl) CD (2006) US $4.72 Buy It Now 2h
Al Martino 45 "Hey Mama / If I Give My Heart To You" US $3.49 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Spinners 45 "Wake Up Susan / If You Can't Be In Love" US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 12m
MILLIE JACKSON DEEP SOUL PROMO 45 IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG I DON'T WANT TO BE RIGH US $2.99 [0 bids]
MEL CARTER NORTHERN SOUL 45 IF YOU LOSE HER (IMPERIAL 66183) US $2.99 [0 bids]
1M GPjr 104 DJ COPY GP LIBRE SOMETIMES I WONDER IF SHES WALKING SOUL BALADA US $49.99 [0 bids]
1K LOADSTONE SAN FRANCISCO WILLIE BAILEY WAYWARD GIRL IF YOU WERE BLUE R US $15.99 [0 bids]
1K NAVARRO PRIVATE LITTLE JOE NAVARRO EDDIE FOX IF HEARTS WERE MADE OF GLASS US $15.99 [0 bids]
If I Left the Zoo by Jars of Clay US $4.24 Buy It Now 2h 26m
AIDAN MOFFAT & BILL WELLS - IF YOU KEEP ME IN YOUR HEART NEW VINYL US $15.07 Buy It Now 2h 31m
If I Should Fall From Grace With God - Pogues (2006, Vinyl New) US $23.98 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Jennifer Hudson If this isn't love promo cd single US $3.12 [0 bids]
Vula If you want it four track promo CD single US $4.69 [0 bids]
JONNA GAULT....WHAT IF THEY GAVE A WAR & NO ONE CAME....RCA Promo-45 US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 43m
If I Stay: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack : Format: Audio CD US $12.54 Buy It Now 2h 45m
Sheryl Crow If It Makes You Happy Australian Card Sleeve CD Single Up for grabs US $7.81 Buy It Now 2h 46m
VARIOUS ARTISTS / IF I WERE A CARPENTER US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
Rocky Sharpe and the Replays - If You Wanna Be Happy - CD Album (49) US $12.53 Buy It Now 2h 54m
Wondermints - Mind If We Make Love To You CD DIGIPAK US $8.61 Buy It Now 2h 54m
ROD STEWART 7" P/S IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG I DON'T TO EX US $9.01 Buy It Now 2h 56m
Yanni - If I Could Tell You (Cassette) Russia SEALED US $16.50 Buy It Now 3h
SILJE NERGAARD - If I Could Wrap Up a Kiss (CD, 2010) JAZZ EU IMPORT US $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Junior Parker 45 RPM If You Don't Love Me US $1.99 [0 bids]
Tom Jones - If I Only Knew 4 Track CD Single US $5.17 Buy It Now 3h 30m
JO STAFFORD "It's Almost Tomorrow"/ "If You Want To Love" 78rpm 10" 1956 EXC US $14.68 Buy It Now 3h 41m
IF YOU TAKE ME BACK: DOCUMENT SHORTCUTS 2 / VAR NEW CD US $17.21 Buy It Now 3h 41m
DAVE BERRY - if you wait for love, Dutch Holland Decca F 12337 US $3.14 [0 bids]
Eddie Higgins If Dreams Come True Jay Leonhart Joe Ascione 24K GOLD MINI LP CD US $29.99 [0 bids]
cd-album, Amy Dickson - Catch Me If You Can US $10.39 Buy It Now 3h 49m
If That Don't Turn You On/You Can't Stand The Thou - Millie Ja (2008, Vinyl New) US $10.94 Buy It Now 3h 55m
PAGES-If I Saw You Again USA 7" EX Cond US $10.96 Buy It Now 3h 58m
O.N.I.F.C. - 2 DISC SET - Wiz Khalifa (2013, Vinyl New) Explic US $23.97 Buy It Now 3h 58m
Shayne Ward No U Hang Up / If That's OK With You CD Single US $3.90 Buy It Now 3h 59m
If - Self Indulg Mindless New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $19.25 Buy It Now 4h
GHOST-If You Have Ghost;EXCLUSIVE BUNDLE 12"CLEAR MAXI VINYL+2cd FREE SHIPPING US $150.00 Buy It Now 4h
FIVE SCALDERS....IF ONLY YOU WERE MINE....NM REPRO DRUMMOND-45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 2m
Geri Halliwell - Scream If You Wanna Go Faster (2001) US $2.34 Buy It Now 4h 7m
A Flock Of Seagulls-Wishing (If I Had A Phot..) 12" USp US $7.37 Buy It Now 4h 7m
BOBBY LANZ-IF THIS WORLD WERE MINE-ON BRIDGES 2201 US $12.54 Buy It Now 4h 7m
If I Could Only Remember My Name... 0075678141522, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P US $15.49 Buy It Now 4h 9m
If 2 4009910103821, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H US $18.83 Buy It Now 4h 9m
Barbra Streisand - As If We Never Said Goodbye 3 Track CD Single US $6.90 Buy It Now 4h 9m
Mr Bigg - Only If U Knew CD Pop Rap & Hip-Hop US $19.29 Buy It Now 4h 11m
Bob & Gene - If This World Were Mine CD US $15.99 Buy It Now 4h 11m
Marah - If You DidnT Laugh YouD Cry CD US $13.59 Buy It Now 4h 11m
If I Were A Bird: A Piano Aviary - If I Were A Bird: A Piano Avia CD US $21.89 Buy It Now 4h 11m
Stop Me If You Think YouVe Heard This One Before CD US $11.89 Buy It Now 4h 11m
What If 0731453635920, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P&H US $12.43 Buy It Now 4h 13m
KARUTETTO (Quartet) - L.I.F.E. 2 - Japan CD - NEW LIFE2 US $17.09 Buy It Now 4h 15m
Barry Manilow : If I Should Love Again : Vinyl Album + Original Inner Sleeve US $9.08 Buy It Now 4h 19m
Dire Straits : Twisting By The Pool - Two Young Lovers - If I Had You : DSTR US $3.12 Buy It Now 4h 19m
RUNNING FROM DHARMA - IF WE DON'T SPEAK Japan CD+2BONUS US $11.39 Buy It Now 4h 22m
TEDDY PENDERGRASS * TURN OFF THE LIGHTS & IF YOU KNOW LIKE I KNOW * 45 RPM US $7.00 [0 bids]
Dixie Dregs, What If Audio CD US $7.49 Buy It Now 4h 30m
Manic Street Preachers/If You Want Blood/cd album/hoddcd1 US $8.62 [2 bids]
Aidan Smith and His Indulgent Friends - Phone Me if You're Bored - CD (44) US $6.26 Buy It Now 4h 31m
A Flock of Seagulls Wishing (if I Had a Photograph of you) 7" Single Jive Label US $5.49 Buy It Now 4h 36m
Cher If I Could Turn Back Time US $1.55 [0 bids]
Five Star If I Say Yes US $1.55 [0 bids]
HOG HEAVEN 'If It Feels Good - Do it' unplayed 1970 Rock Promo 45 LISTEN! US $7.99 Buy It Now 4h 39m
THE 8TH DAY 'If I Could See The Light' unplayed Soul 45 HEAR! US $7.99 Buy It Now 4h 39m
CHEAP TRICK 'If You Need Me' Rare Unplayed US CD PROMO ONLY single 1990 US $16.99 Buy It Now 4h 40m
Whang Bo Ryung - As if nothing ever happened KOREA CD *SEALED* US $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 43m
HARRY SECOMBE If I Ruled The World LP US $3.12 Buy It Now 4h 49m
BARRY MANILOW If I Should Love Again LP US $3.12 Buy It Now 4h 49m
Equals - Funky Like A Train / If You Didn't Miss Me (Rare 7" Mercury) 1976 US $31.36 [0 bids]
7" THE RHYTHM ADDICTS "HOT-ROD/IF YOU'RE SQUARE" ROCKABILLY REPRO US $9.50 Buy It Now 4h 51m
MERLE HAGGARD If You've Got The Money Rare 1 Track CD! US $3.12 [0 bids]
HATCHAM SOCIAL----DANCE AS IF 7" SIGNED US $4.69 [0 bids]
1961 ADAM WADE 45 RPM & PICTURE SLEEVE AS IF I DIDN'T KNOW / PLAYIN' AROUND US $24.00 [0 bids]
TAMMY FAYE BAKKER 45 IF IT HAD NOT BEEN PICTURE SLEEVE US $2.50 [0 bids]
EDDIE KENDRICKS - JUST MEMORIES / IF YOU LET ME..U.S TAMLA US $9.39 Buy It Now 4h 57m
The Rolling Stones - Got Live If You Want It! (Live Recording) [Digipak] (SACD) US $23.50 [0 bids]
NOFX 'SO WHAT IF WE'RE ON MYSTIC EP' 7" , GOLD VINYL , limited edition US $31.99 Buy It Now 5h 5m
CHAD & JEREMY 45 RPM WORLD ARTISTS 1965 IF I LOVED YOU US $2.50 [0 bids]
*(JD) Jimmy Soul If You Wanna Be Happy Uk Stateside 7 " 45 Excellent US $18.81 Buy It Now 5h 10m
Amen Corner - If Paradise Is Half As Nice - RARE OOP 15 Tracks (5 Live) CD EX US $14.24 Buy It Now 5h 11m
CLAUDE GRAY 45 RPM IF I EVER NEED A LADY BECAUSE OF HIM US $2.50 [0 bids]
Blue - If You Come Back 4-Trk (ECD Single) US $5.47 Buy It Now 5h 13m
Alexander O'Neal - If You Were Here Tonight - UK 7" Single - A6391 vg/ex US $4.45 Buy It Now 5h 15m
FATS DOMINO 45 RPM IF YOU NEED ME / COUNTRY BOY IMPERIAL X5645 VERY GOOD++ US $2.50 [0 bids]
?KOREA CD/2BiC & Davichi - If It's Like Tonight US $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 16m
Tony Toni Tone If I had No Loot Japan 3" CD Single swing beat new jack PODP-1077 US $19.99 Buy It Now 5h 19m
MARY LOVE: The Hurt Is Just Beginning / If You Change Your Mind 45 Soul US $15.00 Buy It Now 5h 21m

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Send comments to mystic fred (BETA) | Report this review (#132956) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 13, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#154431) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 06, 2007

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#159747) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 25, 2008

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#277890) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#428253) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#457953) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

Send comments to stefro (BETA) | Report this review (#708724) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 05, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"