If

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

McCoys - 45 - Up And Down & If You Tell A Lie USD $1.04 [2 bids]
32m 24s
INCUBUS If Not Now When? CD NEW USD $7.76 Buy It Now 32m 27s
Cher: If I Could Turn Back Time 12" Single USD $3.06 Buy It Now 33m 48s
If Every Day Was Like Christmas by Elvis Presley  HITS  Minty CD  New Case   USD $9.00 Buy It Now 40m 53s
Bunny The Bear - If You Dont Have Anything Nice (2011) - Used - Compact Dis USD $3.90 Buy It Now 41m 19s
david kersh - if i never stop loving you USD $6.28 Buy It Now 42m 13s
Mr. Big RARE Band Signed Limited Edition Vinyl LP Record What If... Paul Gilbert USD $399.99 Buy It Now 45m 22s
VG- Alabama ~ I'm Not That Way Anymore (mod) / If Your Going To Play In Texas USD $0.99 Buy It Now 45m 30s
PETER NERO if ever i would leave you LP PS EX/EX rca international INTS 1018 USD $14.42 Buy It Now 49m 8s
Kylie Minogue - Put Your Hands Up (If You Feel Love) SEALED Australian CD USD $13.00 Buy It Now 51m 25s
SILJE NERGAARD - IF I COULD WRAP UP A KISS CD $2.99 S&H USD $14.99 Buy It Now 56m 34s
DAVID CROSBY - IF ONLY I COULD REMEMBER MY NAME & JORMA KAUKONEN - JORMA. 2 x LP USD $19.99 Buy It Now 57m 17s
78 rpm AL JOLSON let me sing and i`m happy / if only i had a match USD $15.67 Buy It Now 59m 14s
JIMMY (BO) HORN: If We Were Still Together / Two People In Love (soul 45) USD $18.00 Buy It Now 59m 37s
Rolling Stones Got live if you want it! EP 7" 45 Holland USD $59.00 Buy It Now 59m 45s
Alannah Myles - Black Velvet / If You Want To, Atlantic Records A8742 Ex USD $6.25 Buy It Now 1h
Cher - If I Could Turn Back Time / Some Guys, Geffen GEF-59 Ex Condition USD $5.47 Buy It Now 1h
Bobby Darin If A Man Answers Original 1962 45rpm EP USD $6.99 Buy It Now 1h
Terraplane - If That's What It Takes / Living After Dark, Epic TERRA-1 Ex A1/B1 USD $5.47 Buy It Now 1h 3m
MAMA'S AND THE PAPA'S if you can believe your eyes and ears Japan MINI LP SHM-CD USD $29.00 Buy It Now 1h 8m
GERALDO & ORCH If Ever A Heart Was In The Right Place They Say 10" 78 HMV BD5448 USD $20.35 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Bucks Fizz(7" Vinyl P/S)If You Can't Stand The Heat-RCA-RCA 300-UK-VG/Ex USD $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Snow Patrol - If There's A Rocket Tie Me To It - Scarce UK promo only CD USD $7.82 Buy It Now 1h 11m
5020522406222 If.. (1992) Scorpio Rising CD QUALITY CHECKED & FAST FREE P&P USD $5.47 Buy It Now 1h 11m
If Every Day Was Like Christma - Elvis Presley (1997, CD New) USD $7.56 Buy It Now 1h 13m
My Music Loves You Even If I Don't - Mike Randle New & Sealed Compact Disc Free USD $21.11 Buy It Now 1h 13m
The Hummingbirds - If A Vow - Rare 1991 rooArt CD (Triffids Ratcat) USD $10.23 Buy It Now 1h 14m
If Its Not Love - Reg Mctaggart (2013, CD New) USD $15.16 Buy It Now 1h 16m
David Cassidy - If I Didn't Care - 7" single USD $2.17 Buy It Now 1h 18m
JIMMY CLIFF The Harder They Come/You Can Get It If... MANGO M- hear soundclips!! USD $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 20m
MIKE BERRY - IF I COULD ONLY MAKE YOU CARE - 7" VINYL 1980 POLYDOR USD $4.69 Buy It Now 1h 21m
PESSI GIOVANNA/S WALLUMROD - IF GRIEF COULD WAIT - 2777197 USD $21.75 Buy It Now 1h 24m
O`CONNEL TERRY AND HIS PILOTS - IF YOU GIVE ME ONE MORE TRY - ETCD6060 USD $19.09 Buy It Now 1h 24m
AMBROSE & HIS ORCHESTRA - If You Haven't Got Dreams 78 USD $6.25 Buy It Now 1h 27m
IF/JUNGIAN ARCHETYPE - Test Pilot Volume 1 (remastered) - 12" USD $16.42 Buy It Now 1h 28m
If (Blue) Then (Blue) - Sauer Heinz - If (Blue) Then (Blue) - Sauer Heinz - ACT9 USD $20.17 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Vintage Album - The Mama's and the Papa's - If You Can Believe Your Eyes USD $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 30m
MOLONEY MICK - IF IT WASN`T FOR THE IRISH AND - COM45252 USD $18.63 Buy It Now 1h 34m
James Bond Greatest Hits LP & The Pretenders 007 If There Was a Man Record Singl USD $3.12 [0 bids]
JERRY WALLACE Greatest Hits CD Primrose Lane, If You Leave Me Tonight I'll Cry USD $2.49 [0 bids]
SCOTT FITZGERALD_If I Had Words_used 45 VINYL_7"_ships from AUS_G1c USD $9.45 Buy It Now 1h 44m
HELLO PEOPLE: If I Should Sing Too Softly / Pray For Rain (rock USD $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 44m
Renée & Renato - Save Your Love / If Love Is Not The Reason 7" HWD 003 USD $3.13 Buy It Now 1h 51m
RODNEY CROWELL * WHEN THE BLUE HOUR COMES & I COULDN'T LEAVE YOU IF I TRIED USD $4.75 Buy It Now 1h 51m
New York Dolls - If Its Saturday This Must B (NEW CD) USD $10.56 Buy It Now 1h 52m
MELI'SA MORGAN Do You Still Love Me?: Best of CD Do Me Baby, If You Can Do It USD $3.99 [0 bids]
MIDGE URE - IF I WAS (URE 1) 7 INCH VINYL RECORD VG 30 USD $7.82 Buy It Now 1h 53m
ANTHONY NEWLEY - IF SHE SHOULD COME TO YOU - 7" VINYL 1960 DECCA USD $4.69 Buy It Now 1h 55m
If I Don't Stay the Night by Mindy McCready (CD, Nov-1997, BNA) USD $1.50 Buy It Now 1h 59m
JOHN COUGAR MELLENCAMP Nothin' Matters and What If It Did CD 1980 Album USD $2.49 [1 bids]
Alvarius B Sire Richard Bishop If you don't like it New Sealed vinyl LP RSD USD $22.99 Buy It Now 2h 5m
IF I KNEW YOU WERE COMIN I'D'VE BAKED A CAKE sheet music USD $15.67 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Rockabilly 45 George Jones Treasure Of Love / If I Don't Love You USD $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 8m
THE MACH V if i could/i want to stay 45 Garage Fuzz Grail MINT unplayed original USD $157.50 [2 bids]
BILLY OCEAN - STOP ME (IF YOU'VE HEARD IT ALL BEFORE) - 7" VINYL 1976 GTO USD $5.94 Buy It Now 2h 12m
THE BEST OF WHAM CD Album IF YOU WERE THERE - Orig 1997 14 trax Very Good Cond USD $4.70 Buy It Now 2h 13m
Franklin Baur VICTOR 19243 If The Rest Of The World Don't Want You USD $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 17m
DAVID CASSIDY 7" PS JAPAN IF I DIDN'T CARE promo i045 USD $9.00 Buy It Now 2h 23m
CHICAGO - If you leave me now - 1976 UK 7" Vinyl Single USD $7.83 Buy It Now 2h 23m
AALIYAH - IF YOUR GIRL ONLY KNEW - R&B CD SINGLE USD $3.12 Buy It Now 2h 25m
PAMELA STANLEY If Looks Could Kill b/w Instrumental STOCK 45 M- USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 25m
THE VIOLETTS - I Won't Cry If You Walkaway - DIAMOND - 7" Northern Soul USD $34.99 Buy It Now 2h 26m
SNSD Girls' Generation Catch Me If You Can First Press Edition CD DVD Japan F/S USD $38.00 Buy It Now 2h 26m
JUSTIN JONES-'IF YOU WERE THE ONLY GIRL' ON HALLMARK USD $16.92 Buy It Now 2h 27m
JIM ED BROWN if the world ran out of love tonight / blue ridge mountains NEW 45 USD $5.49 Buy It Now 2h 32m
NEW - Nice Work If You Can Get It by Michael Feinstein USD $6.96 Buy It Now 2h 34m
COLLIN RAYE * WHAT IF JESUS COMES BACK LIKE THAT & THE TIME MACHINE * 45RPM USD $6.00 Buy It Now 2h 39m
SUZI QUATRO~ IF YOU CAN'T GIVE ME LOVE ~ 1978 ~ RAK ~ U.K. 45 USD $1.55 [0 bids]
LISTEN - TEEN GIRL POPCORN - BABS TINO - IF ONLY FOR TONIGHT - MY FIRST LOVE USD $49.99 Buy It Now 2h 43m
June Carter Johnny Cash If I Had A Hammer CBS Mono PROMO 45 1972 USD $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 52m
Cootie Williams - Ooh La-La /If It's True 78 Jazz Record Majestic 1165 E (at) USD $5.95 Buy It Now 2h 55m
VIC HORNE ~ Has Been Has Been / If It Wasn't For You ~ {Obscure C USD $2.50 Buy It Now 2h 57m
REPRO CA garage Ken & The Fourth Dimension STAR-Burst 128 ( HEAR ) See if i care USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 57m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - NEIL REID - IF i COULD WRITE A SONG - F 13264 USD $10.95 Buy It Now 2h 58m
7"-Single AMEN CORNER If Paradise Is Half / Hello Suzie USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 59m
If You Re Irish CD NEW USD $17.14 Buy It Now 3h
H.I.F. Biber: Fidicinium Sacro-profanum SACD NEW USD $17.36 Buy It Now 3h
Conquest: Give It To Me (If You Don't Mind) 12" USD $8.50 Buy It Now 3h 6m
Eleanor McEvoy-If You Leave... CD NEW USD $16.52 Buy It Now 3h 6m
If You Can Dream - Earl,Robert New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping USD $25.07 Buy It Now 3h 7m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - YVONNE ELLIMAN - IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU - RS 884 USD $10.95 Buy It Now 3h 8m
PAT BENATAR * IF YOU THINK YOU KNOW HOW TO LOVE ME STEREO & SAME/ MONO 45 RPM USD $9.00 Buy It Now 3h 10m
The Icicle Works If You Want To Defeat... RARE promo vinyl LP '87 - NEVER PLAYED USD $12.00 Buy It Now 3h 10m
GIL OFARIM Here I Am 1998 Taiwan w/box 14-Track CD+8-P MOFFATTS If You Only USD $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Magnum - The Lights Burned Out / If I Could Live Forever / Sacred Hour - 3 track USD $4.70 [1 bids]
MARCIA ROUTH "IF I NEEDED YOU" 1977 RARE PROMO-HEAR!! USD $3.00 Buy It Now 3h 12m
Randy- I'm Stepping Out If We Unite/ If We Unite-PUNK Fat Club P/S NM USD $15.95 Buy It Now 3h 13m
wishing ( if i had a photograph of you ) by a flock of seagulls USD $21.29 [1 bids]
If You Could Read My Mind - 2 DISC SET - Cameron Carpenter (2014, CD New) USD $14.47 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Vintage Edison Diamond Disc - 51748 Golden Days / If I Knew I'd Find You USD $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 21m
Gary Smith Mint Vinyl Promo 45(1975)-If You Don't Write A Hit Song About Me USD $7.00 Buy It Now 3h 22m
DANIEL SCHELL & KARO If Windows They Have MADE TO MEASURE Vol. 13 VINYL LP USD $14.00 Buy It Now 3h 23m
SPINNERS * THE RUBBERBAND MAN & IF YOU WANNA DO A DANCE * 45RPM USD $4.75 Buy It Now 3h 25m
IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME BY NOW 12 INCH (12" VINYL) UK WEA 1989, Simply Red,Very Goo USD $11.71 Buy It Now 3h 26m
CAROUSELS: If You Want To (vocal groups vinyl 45) USD $30.00 Buy It Now 3h 26m
BRYN TERFEL IF EVER I WOULD LEAVE YOU.DEUTSCHE GRAMMOPHON CD ALBUM.FREE UK P USD $4.69 Buy It Now 3h 31m
Drake - If You're Reading This It's Too Late (CD 2015) PA Explicit Brand New USD $4.78 [0 bids]
PIROUETTES: If You See My Baby 45 (dj. brown wax) rare Soul USD $100.00 Buy It Now 3h 35m
Britney Spears - If U Seek Amy CDr PROMO 2009 4 tracks Bimbo Jones MINT USD $17.61 Buy It Now 3h 40m
LP 2
~ USD $12.74
CD if4
~ USD $13.85

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Review by apps79
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"