IF

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

Import · Limited Edition
Repertoire 2006
WaterfallWaterfall
Repertoire 2003
Sting 45 Another Day/If You Love Somebody Set Them Free A&M Records 1985 US $9.99 Buy It Now 29m 57s
REBA & BROOKS & DUNN "IF YOU SEE HIM/HER" 1998 UNPLAYED COUNTRY PROMO CD SINGLE US $2.79 [0 bids]
30m 43s
Snoop Dogg Presenta Doggys Angels - Baby If Your Ready - Single Brand New Unused US $4.66 Buy It Now 31m 3s
Five - If Ya Gettin' Down - Single Brand New Unused US $9.31 Buy It Now 31m 3s
Westlife - If I Let You Go - Cd Single Brand New Un- Used US $4.66 Buy It Now 31m 3s
ASTERIX - EVERYBODY / IF I COULD FLY - French DECCA 7" P/S Heavy Psych HEAR US $21.62 Buy It Now 31m 6s
45 RECORD CHAD & JEREMY - IF I LOVED YOU B/W DONNA, DONNA PICTURE SLEEVE P/S US $2.98 Buy It Now 31m 13s
Rockabilly Repro: BOBBY LAWSON-If You Want My Lovin MRC US $10.95 Buy It Now 36m 14s
FRAGILE ROCK VALLEY: Be My Baby/If You Want Me NM ORIGINAL 45 US $14.99 Buy It Now 36m 36s
DICKIES - STILL LIVE EVEN IF YOU DON'T WANT IT NEW CD US $18.46 Buy It Now 37m 36s
THE PRECISIONS GREAT NORTHERN SOUL 45 ON DREW 1003! HEAR IT! IF THIS IS LOVE! US $24.99 [1 bids]
39m 49s
If I Could Turn Back Time: Greatest Hits [Geffen] by Cher (CD, Mar-1999, Geffen) US $2.78 [3 bids]
39m 59s
Harmful If Swallowed [PA] by Dane Cook (CD, Jul-2003, Comedy Central Records) US $7.99 [0 bids]
40m 50s
CONTROLLERS: I Gambled On Your Love And Lost / If Tears Were Pennies 45 Soul US $15.00 Buy It Now 42m 30s
DUKE ELLINGTON "NM WIt Don't Mean A Thing If It Ain't Got RJL-2569 OBI LP Ad1213 US $24.99 Buy It Now 43m 5s
Benny Goodman, Limehouse Blues/If I Had You, Marie, OKeh 6486 US $4.00 [0 bids]
44m 26s
BOBBY DARIN: If I Were A Carpenter NEAR MINT In Shrink Original Atlantic LP US $24.99 Buy It Now 45m 25s
You Might Be a Redneck If... by Jeff Foxworthy (CD, Jun-1993, Warner Bros.) US $0.99 [0 bids]
47m 50s
Elvis Presley - If Every Day Was Like Christmas - Rare w/ Graceland Pop-up 1 CD US $26.00 [0 bids]
47m 58s
AC/DC IF YOU WANT BLOOD YOU'VE GOT IT REMASTERED CD NEW US $16.75 Buy It Now 48m 5s
George Olsen, Just Another Kiss/If We Never Should Meet Again, Victor 22042 US $4.00 [0 bids]
48m 36s
Henry Thies/Nat Shilkret, If You Don't Care For Me/Roses Are For Get-Me-Nots US $4.00 [0 bids]
49m 10s
Johnny Hamp, If You Should Ever Need Me/Oh, How I Miss You, Victor 22650 US $4.00 [0 bids]
49m 28s
Johnny Hamp, Sunny Side Up/If I Had A Talking Picture Of You, Victor 22124 US $4.00 [0 bids]
49m 33s
NEW - If US $12.98 Buy It Now 49m 37s
Johnny Marvin, I'm A Dreamer Aren't We All/If I Had A Talking Picture Of You US $7.00 [0 bids]
49m 52s
INK SPOTS EP W SLEEVE 45 WALDORF RECORD IF I DIDN'T CAR US $49.99 Buy It Now 50m 12s
Les Brown, If You Please, Sounds of Yesteryear DSOY-915 US $8.00 [0 bids]
50m 44s
ROCK 45 - JAY RANDALL - IF I EVER NEEDED SOMEONE / CRAZY FACE - LANOR 558 VG++ US $12.99 Buy It Now 52m 1s
LITTLE ESTHER & BIG AL: YOU NEVER MISS YOUR WATER / IF YOU WANT IT Rare 45 Lenox US $14.99 Buy It Now 52m 2s
BILLY WILLIAMS QUARTET: If I Never Get To Heaven (vocal groups vinyl 45) US $20.00 Buy It Now 52m 37s
Rudy Vallee, I Love You, Believe Me, I Love You/If You Were The Only Girl US $4.00 [0 bids]
52m 46s
Rudy Vallee, Kitty From Kansas City/If I Had A Girl Like You, Victor 22419 US $4.00 [0 bids]
52m 55s
If It Ain't Broke, Break It! by Starwood (CD, Jul-2004, Metal Blade) US $8.00 Buy It Now 53m 24s
Wayne King, Sally/If I'm Dreaming, Victor 22240 US $5.00 [0 bids]
54m 5s
CLEO LAINE "NM WAX" If We Lived on The Top of A Mountain SFX-10506 LP Ad3114 US $24.99 Buy It Now 55m 14s
5 ROYALES ~ I'm Gonna Tell Them/If You Don't Need Me ~ '61 MOD R US $7.00 [1 bids]
55m 18s
CD - EMERSON HART - IF YOU'RE GONNA LEAVE [SINGLE] US $1.59 [0 bids]
55m 27s
FRANK TURNER If Ever I Stray promo cd Xtra Mile punk folk billy bragg US $1.50 [0 bids]
55m 36s
Harmful If Swallowed [PA] by Dane Cook (CD, Jul-2003, Comedy Central Records) US $2.99 [0 bids]
55m 59s
hear WOLFGANG MULLER w/ FRANKIE YANKOVIC'S BAND~ If You Can't Do The Polka Dont US $3.00 [1 bids]
56m 22s
CD SINGLE.PANIC AT THE DISCO,BUT IT,S BETTER IF YOU DO. US $13.92 Buy It Now 56m 46s
RONALD COLEMAN Original Radio Broadcasts Lost Horizon & If I Were King US $10.80 Buy It Now 58m 3s
Margie Rayburn 45 RPM "If You Were/I'm Available" US $0.99 [0 bids]
58m 36s
Lee Greenwood If There's Any Justice Still Sealed LP US $7.99 Buy It Now 59m 13s
If There Was a Way by Dwight Yoakam (CD, Oct-1990, Reprise) US $0.99 [0 bids]
59m 23s
BARRY MANILOW "MINT / NEW SEALED" If I Should Love Again AL 9573 LP Ad8130 US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h
Kirk Stuart 45 "Franternity Pin / If Love's Not Ours" US $5.24 Buy It Now 1h
OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN If You Love Me Let Me Know LP MCA 1974 IN SHRINK US $6.95 Buy It Now 1h 2m
NEW - I Wonder If by Gunn, Rhonda US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Five Star; If i Say Yes on 45 + PS US $3.19 Buy It Now 1h 4m
RARE ROCKABILLY Grant Grieves BIG K Shake It Baby KC Mo Label If I Ever Stop.. US $3.99 [0 bids]
ADAM WADE-As If I Didn't Know (1961) COED 45 w/PS US $5.70 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Billie Jo Spears-If You Want Me-LP-United Artists-UA LA784 G-Vinyl Record-VG+ US $2.99 [0 bids]
Rod Stewart, If We Fall In Love Tonight/Tom Traubert's Blues (Matilda) 45 1996 US $4.00 [0 bids]
The Barron Knights - Pop Go the Workers - what if pop singers had to get jobs? US $3.50 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Mindless Self Indulgence If 2X LP ( RIYL mariyln Manson nine inch nails US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
1970 Gordon Lightfoot If You Could Read My Mind Sit Down Young Stranger LP @ US $3.99 [1 bids]
If He Is Protecting Our Nation... Then Who Will Protect Big Oil, Our... Import US $0.98 [0 bids]
Ink Spots IF I DIDN'T CARE / KNOCK KNEED SAL 78 RPM US $4.99 [0 bids]
NEW - If You Can by Race US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Maximum Balloon CD 2010 DGC Groove Me Young Love If you Return MORE small crack US $1.29 [0 bids]
PURE PRAIRIE LEAGUE: IF THE SHOE FITS LP, RCA APL1-1247, 1978 US $3.00 [0 bids]
Freddy Fender Think About Me / If That's The Way You Want It 7" 45 rpm Dot NM US $4.12 Buy It Now 1h 14m
MERLE HAGGARD ALBUM LOT OF 3 IF WE MAKE IT THROUGH DECEMBER, ETC US $6.00 [0 bids]
CARL SMITH - I've Changed/If You Do Dear COLUMBIA US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Hear {60's R&B Soul} BOBBY BLAND ~ I''m Too Far Gone / If You Could Read My Mind US $0.75 [0 bids]
SEALED Black Gospel CHICAGO MASS CHOIR Right Now If You Believe 1990 LIGHT LP US $7.99 [0 bids]
Female Jazz Vocal GOGI GRANT If You Want To Get To Heaven - Shout! LIBERTY MONO US $5.99 [0 bids]
SEALED BLACK GOSPEL EDWIN HAWKINS If At First You Don't Succeed 12" SINGLE US $7.99 [0 bids]
CHEAP TRICK "IF YOU NEED ME" 1990 W/MICK JONES STILL SEALED FROM "BUSTED" US $2.79 [0 bids]
BROWNSTONE "I CAN'T TELL YOU WHY" & "IF YOU LOVE ME" 6TRX.1995 STILL SEALED OOP US $2.79 [0 bids]
ERIC CLAPTON~IF I HAD POSSESSION OVER JUDGEMENT DAY ~SINGLE CD~RARE~HARD TO FIND US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
See If I Care by Gary Allan (CD, Sep-2003, MCA Nashville) US $0.99 [0 bids]
What If It's You by Reba McEntire (CD, Nov-1996, MCA Nashville) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Gwen Carter 45 TCS 1015 V+ Condition If I Can Help Somebody/Oh How I Love Jesus US $11.50 Buy It Now 1h 20m
JURASSIC 5 If you BEATNUTS INSTRUMENTAL 3LIVE CD Single US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
VG++ LEFTY FRIZZELL LUCKY ARMS/IF SHE JUST HELPS ME GET OVER YOU 1973 45 RPM ABC US $5.98 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Michael McDonald ?- If That's What It Takes / Warner Bros. Records ?- 1-23703 US $7.00 [0 bids]
B. BROWN - IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG I DON'T WANT TO BE RIGHT - DOWN TOWN 7" ~ VG- US $9.99 [0 bids]
Picture Sleeve Only GARY PUCKETT & THE UNION GAP Over You~ If The Day Would Come US $7.99 [0 bids]
Michael McDonald - If That's What It Takes US $7.00 [0 bids]
BARBARA MASON "IF YOU KNEW/RAINDROPS" 1970 NATIONAL GENERAL DJ RARE HEAR US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 24m
If The Bomb Falls: A Recorded Guide to Survival LP [1961] US $18.00 [0 bids]
TIMI YURO If / (I'm Afraid) The Masquerade Is Over 45 rpm MERCURY 1964 US $8.95 Buy It Now 1h 25m
If You Had My Love [CD 2], Jennifer Lopez, Good Maxi, Single US $4.53 Buy It Now 1h 26m
VIRULENCE - IF THIS ISN'T A DREAM 1989-1989 NEW CD US $19.22 Buy It Now 1h 27m
If Ever I Would Leave You: The Songs Alan Jay Lerner (CD, Oct-1998, DG Deutsche US $6.50 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Modern Soul TYMES If You Love Me Baby COLUMBIA PROMO 45-4-44917 w/ Find My Way US $7.99 [0 bids]
NEW - If You Believe... A Scrapbook of Songs US $7.22 Buy It Now 1h 28m
If We Fall in Love Tonight - Rod Stewart - CD - 1996 - Warner Bros US $1.04 [2 bids]
Seger Ellis -- COLUMBIA 1571-D - I Never Thought & If I Lost You US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Vern Gosdin, If You're Gonna Do Me Wrong (Do It Right) / Favorite Fool Of All. US $2.99 [0 bids]
Staple Singers, If You're Ready / Love Comes In All Colors US $2.99 [0 bids]
Stylistics, If You Are There / Funky Weekend. US $2.99 [0 bids]
Chicago, If You Leave Me Now / Together Again. US $2.99 [0 bids]
NEW - If I Run, single US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Pure Prairie League-If The Shoe Fits-LP-RCA Victor-OG Sleeve-Vinyl Record-NM US $2.99 [0 bids]
Ozark Mountain Daredevils If You Wanna Get To Heaven 45RPM Record Vintage Rare US $4.99 [0 bids]
Sweet Cream ?- I Don't Know What I'd Do (If You Ever Left Me) US $4.95 [0 bids]

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Send comments to mystic fred (BETA) | Report this review (#132956) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 13, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#154431) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 06, 2007

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#159747) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 25, 2008

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#277890) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#428253) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#457953) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

Send comments to stefro (BETA) | Report this review (#708724) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 05, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"