SOMEWHERE FAR BEYOND

Blind Guardian

Blind Guardian Somewhere Far Beyond album cover

Buy BLIND GUARDIAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1992

1. Time What Is Time (5:45)
2. Journey Through the Dark (4:48)
3. Black Chamber (0:58)
4. Theatre of Pain (4:17)
5. The Quest for Tanelorn (5:56)
6. Ashes to Ashes (6:00)
7. The Bard's Song: In the Forest (3:10)
8. The Bard's Song: The Hobbit (3:53)
9. The Piper's Calling (0:58)
10. Somewhere Far Beyond (7:30)
11. Spread Your Wings (4:15)
12. Trial by Fire (3:44)
13. Theatre of Pain (classic version) (4:14)

Search BLIND GUARDIAN Somewhere Far Beyond lyrics

Search BLIND GUARDIAN Somewhere Far Beyond tabs

- Hansi Kürsch / vocals, bass
- André Olbrich / guitars, vocals
- "Magnus" Armin Siepen / guitars, vocals
- Thomen "The Omen" Stauch / drums

Thanks to MikeEnRegalia for the addition
and to Rune2000 for the last updates

BLIND GUARDIAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BLIND GUARDIAN Somewhere Far Beyond Music

Somewhere Far Beyond by Jvc JapanSomewhere Far Beyond by Jvc Japan
Jvc Japan
Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond CD USD $16.99 Buy It Now 2h 29m
BLIND GUARDIAN - SOMEWHERE FAR BEYOND NEW CD USD $24.87 Buy It Now 9h 13m
Somewhere Far Beyond - Blind Guardian (2009, CD New) USD $12.21 Buy It Now 11h 42m
Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond 2009 [CD New] USD $13.84 Buy It Now 20h 34m
Somewhere Far Beyond by Blind Guardian (CD, May-2000, Century Media (USA)) USD $3.00 [0 bids]
Blind Guardian ?- Somewhere Far Beyond Japan CD VICP-5178 OBI 1992 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Blind Guardian: Somewhere far beyond (1992) CD OBI TAIWAN USD $22.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Blind Guardian ?- Somewhere Far Beyond Vinyl LP 1993 USD $92.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Somewhere Far Beyond - Blind Guardian (CD Used Very Good) USD $11.84 Buy It Now 7 days
Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond (remastere NEW CD USD $10.72 Buy It Now 9 days
BLIND GUARDIAN SOMEWHERE FAR BEYOND NEW CD +2 BONUS TRACKS REMASTERED RARE OOP USD $20.00 Buy It Now 9 days
BLIND GUARDIAN - SOMEWHERE FAR BEYOND. / IMPORT. ( SAVATAGE , GAMMA RAY ). USD $8.40 Buy It Now 9 days
Blind Guardian: Somewhere Far Beyond CD 2007 Bonus Tracks Remaster Virgin EU EMI USD $12.95 Buy It Now 10 days
Blind Guardian: Somewhere Far Beyond CD 2009 Remaster Bonus Tracks CM 8552-2 USD $14.95 Buy It Now 10 days
Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond UPC 077778683124 Brazilian Release USD $19.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond / Japan CD / OBI / 1992 USD $16.99 Buy It Now 12 days
BLIND GUARDIAN - SOMEWHERE FAR BEYOND (UK) NEW CD USD $25.68 Buy It Now 13 days
BLIND GUARDIAN - Somewhere Far Beyond:T-shirt NEW - XLARGE ONLY USD $21.01 Buy It Now 14 days
Blind Guardian / Somewhere Far Beyond JAPAN+2 1ST PRESS!!!!! *Z USD $29.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Blind Guardian Somewhere Far Beyond 1996 Japan Mini LP CD W/Obi Slipcase OOP HTF USD $79.80 Buy It Now 16 days
BLIND GUARDIAN / SOMEWHERE FAR BEYOND USD $14.99 Buy It Now 18 days
BLIND GUARDIAN / somewhere far beyond /JAPAN LTD CD USD $12.14 Buy It Now 18 days
BLIND GUARDIAN / SOMEWHERE FAR BEYOND JAPAN CD OOP +3B/T USD $18.99 Buy It Now 19 days
BLIND GUARDIAN "SOMEWHERE FAR BEYOND" CD NEW+ USD $20.68 Buy It Now 22 days
Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond (2000) - Used - Compact Disc USD $3.90 Buy It Now 23 days
BLIND GUARDIAN SOMEWHERE FAR BEYOND CD JAPAN PROMO w/OBI +3 Bonus Track OOP NM USD $24.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond, 9 track, 1993 Korea LP. USD $120.00 Buy It Now 27 days
BLIND GUARDIAN / / SOMEWHERE FAR BEYOND " JAPAN " OBI USD $24.99 Buy It Now 27 days
Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond (Remastered) (NEW CD) USD $13.79 Buy It Now 28 days
BLIND GUARDIAN - SOMEWHERE FAR BEYOND - REMASTERED JAPAN IMPORT CD+2 USD $44.95 Buy It Now 28 days
Blind Guardian Somewhere Far Beyond Nightfall In Middle Earth SEALED 1st US pres USD $29.99 Buy It Now 28 days
Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond (+3 Bonus Track) Japan ver. USD $21.00 Buy It Now 28 days
9979272 - Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond USD $13.21 Buy It Now 29 days
Somewhere Far Beyond - Germany Blind Guardian Audio CD USD $17.66 Buy It Now 29 days
Somewhere Far Beyond [German Bonus Tracks] by Blind Guardian (CD, Jun-2007, EMI) USD $9.34 Buy It Now 29 days
Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond [CD New] USD $12.26 Buy It Now 29 days
Somewhere Far Beyond - Blind Guardian (2007, CD New) USD $11.04 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy BLIND GUARDIAN music online Buy BLIND GUARDIAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BLIND GUARDIAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BLIND GUARDIAN Somewhere Far Beyond ratings distribution

BLIND GUARDIAN Somewhere Far Beyond reviews

Review by Gatot
3 stars What a nice acoustic guitar fills in classical mode which opens this album through "Time What Is Time" which then flows beautifully in fast tempo accompanying Hansi Kursch's singing style. The guitar sound has emerged into what later became the trademark of Blind Guardian's music. "Journey Through The Dark" continues heavy riffs music with a faster speed than the opening track. "Black Chamber" starts mellow with lead singer and piano work. It's a nice opening with great piano notes. The lead vocal singing style is awesome. "Theater of Pain" starts with the sound of keyboard followed with drum and symphonic multi-layered keyboard. It's a nice song combining good guitar riffs and keyboard. "Ashes to Ashes" demonstrates true sound of Blind Guardian especially on singing style and guitar melody / solo.

"The Bard's Song" has become legendary track which comprises two tracks: "In The Forest" and "The Hobbit". It starts with excellent acoustic guitar work. The vocal and backing vocal harmonies are really good. The Hobbit is a true power metal song. "The Piper's Calling" sounds like a traditional (Scotland?) music melody which reminds me to "Braveheart" movie. It serves as a bridge to the title track "Somewhere Far Beyond". My CD contains two bonus tracks: "Trial By Fire" and "Theater of Pain" (Classic version).

This album is recommended for those who can appreciate power metal music. The overall album is more on power metal with no prog element at all. That's okay. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Review by UMUR
3 stars Typical German Power Metal with fantasy lyrics is what Somewhere Far Beyond is known for. Much like their three previous efforts this album don´t hold much of interest for prog fans.

The Album starts with the powerful tune Time What is Time which is rather fast paced, and continues with a mix of heavy songs and more folky slower songs. All delievered Blind Guardian style which is elaborate and bombastic, with lots of Guitar and vocal layers and choir ( their style was not fully developed yet, and would be more and more bombastic through the later albums).

I´ll have to mention the very weak track Spread Your Wings, which I find to be ridiculous, and I find it to be a really bad decision that Blind Guardian included this song on the album. What´s with that mood ? This is way too cheesy for me.

The production is not my cup of tea as I find it hollow. The musicians are brilliant and the ideas behind most of the compositions are terrific, but I think something is lacking, if I should give more than 3 stars.

This is an ok album, and if you like Power metal ( the german variant) this might please you more than it pleases me.

3 stars BLIND GUARDIAN are of course the legendary Power-Metal band from Germany. And while this isn't my favourite Metal sub-genre by a long shot, I must admit this release did impress me. This isn't Speed Metal from beginning to end either as they impliment some pleasant acoustic passages and tempo variations. The vocalist is also really good which helps a lot. It's kind of cool as well that they take 8 stories from 8 authors and present their take on them here. Notice the 8 guys on the front cover gathered around (in the woods) telling stories and playing music.

"Time What Is Time" opens with intricate and gentle acoustic guitar, which is flattened by a wall of heaviness. The heaviness pulls back some when the vocals arrive. Then it kicks back in. This really kicks ass! I really like his vocals when he's not yelling, but they're are great either way. A killer guitar solo before 3 minutes as drums pound relentlessly. Another guitar solo a minute later. The song ends with synths,reserved vocals and acoustic guitar. Nice. "Journey Through The Dark "absolutely smokes ! It hits the ground running and it's on fire. Some vocal harmonies in this one. A ripping guitar solo after 2 1/2 minutes.This is one of my favourites on the album. It doesn't let up.I have to say right here that the lyrics are very well done and are an interesting read. "Black Chamber" features vocals and piano melodies for about a minute. "Theater Of Pain" opens with some orchestral sounds before a beautiful guitar solo comes in. It's tasteful and one of my favourites on here. Vocals arrive and a great beat follows. Orchestral moments are sprinkled in throughout this song. Synths are prominant at times. Harmonies too.

"The Quest For Tanelorn" is an amazing tune. It opens with gentle guitar and some faint crying guitar as as well.Vocals arrive. Heavy riffs a minute in. Yes! A guitar solo follows as vocals come back and the tempo picks up.Harmonies join in on the chorus. Nice. Guest guitarist Kai Jensen then comes in firing away on his guitar. He will deliver 3 more solos before this song ends. He's played with HELLOWEEN, IRON SAVIOR, PRIMAL FEAR and GAMMA RAY, and guested on ANGRA's "Angel's Cry". "Ashes To Ashes" is quite dark to open before a punishing sound comes in, including some ripping guitar. I really like when they sing "Ashes to ashes dust to dust" as the heavy, fast paced riffs are played. Check out the guitar before 4 minutes. "The Bard's Song : In The Forest" is the first part of the two part song. This one opens with beautiful guitar as vocals come in. Harmonies too. This is a great folk song. "The Bard's Song : The Hobbit" is crushingly heavy to open, but it doesn't stay that heavy. Nice guitar solo 2 1/2 minutes in. It ends as the first part began with some gentle guitar. "The Piper's Calling" is a very short Scottish bagpipe passage. "Somewhere Far Beyond" is the epic really. Fast paced drums and guitar as vocals come in quickly. Some fantastic guitar after 3 minutes. Some Irish bagpipes come in. More amazing guitar before 5 minutes. I like on the chorus when the backup singers sing "Somewhere far beyond" while the lead singer screams out his words at the same time. This song really rocks out ! It's relentless.

Lots to like here I just wish I was more into Power-Metal.

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'Somewhere Far Beyond' - Blind Guardian (81/100)

I think Somewhere Far Beyond would have been the perfect album to be introduced to Blind Guardian with. Like so many others, the first track I ever heard of theirs was "The Bard's Song", but when it came time for a more substantive experience of the power metal titans, I dove straight into Nightfall in Middle-Earth, where many of the threads introduced on this and Tales from the Twilight World would finally come full-circle. Considering they soon earned a spot as one of my must-listen metal bands, I don't think it was a misstep on my part, but there's something about this one that makes it the quintessential Blind Guardian album in my opinion. Somewhere Far Beyond may not be as biting or as consistently written as Tales, nor does it ascend to the ambitious heights of the output that followed it, but in good faith, could I really recommend a better album to someone who wanted to know what the Bards are all about?

Although I might call Somewhere Far Beyond the 'safest' of their classics, that's only in hindsight; the evolution between this and Tales from the Twilight World two years prior required a grand leap of faith. For all of the intelligence and literacy Blind Guardian demonstrated on their three earliest albums, they still had a coat of speed metal grime to hide behind, if ever their ambition outreached their grasp. Although "Time What is Time" and "Journey Through the Dark" are both speedy and aggressive enough to have fit on Tales snugly enough, there's a much greater emphasis on the finer facets of musicianship. Somewhere Far Beyond is the first album of theirs that sounds completely professional in its execution. And all of this without the sense of feeling overbearing, as much of Blind Guardian's latter material (as much as I love it) is blatantly guilty of. I've always thought Tales from the Twilight World as the album of their most significant artistic evolution, but it was on Somewhere Far Beyond where they truly found their voice.

Although the songwriting sessions for Tales from the Twilight World had greater energy and produced a wider array of standout tracks, I don't think there's a single weak song on Somewhere Far Beyond. The Blade Runner-inspired "Time What Is Time" is one of the best openers they ever had, and a perfect representation of their 'heavy metal Queen' style. While Hansi Kürsch had made a point of establishing his choral arranging/performing genius on their third album, Somewhere Far Beyond makes a strong point of showing André Olbrich's skill and character with the guitar. Ubiquitous comparisons to Brian May aren't unfounded; he has a similarly playful, futuristic sound to his leads, and though I doubt any seasoned rock listener won't have the reference pass through their heads when they first hear the band, I think Olbrich came onto his own as an exceptional, unique musician.

"Theatre of Pain" and "Ashes to Ashes" are better proof of the artistic evolution between albums. "Theatre of Pain" is one of my favourite cuts off the album, being an early adopter of their future 'symphonic' leanings, as well as an uncharacteristically melancholic power metal anthem. The latter goes a step further, taking a reprieve (however brief) from the band's fantasy imagery to explore the very real pain of Hansi having then-recently lost his father. While the two "Bard's Song" tracks are crafted from a much more typical Blind Guardian topic (Lord of the Rings-- what else?) the two combine to make one of my favourite BG songs ever. It's a real shame that the second, 'metal' half of the set gets overlooked in comparison with the acoustic tune; the first "Bard's Song" may be more iconic, but the second is one of the most exciting songs of theirs I've ever heard.

There are days I might argue that this album's slower approach resulted in less memorable songwriting, but as a whole, Somewhere Far Beyond comes off as far more confident than any of its predecessors. If anything may be said for this album, it's that I think Blind Guardian were finally making the kind of music they dreamed of creating. Everything I associate with them-- the intelligent, fantasy-inspired lyrics, the complex vocal arrangements, the Brian May-influenced guitar leads, the grand scale of composition; the works! -- come to pass on Somewhere Far Beyond. What's more; the album gave us some of their best songs; "Time What Is Time", "Theatre of Pain, and the "Bard's Song" duology chiefly among them. There's no way they could rightly be described as a speed metal band by this point-- even calling them a power metal band does little to convey their depth and personality. It's far from my favourite of their albums, but I can't think of another time in their history where they sounded so much like... themselves.

Review by Prog Leviathan
3 stars High energy, razor sharp riffing, and screamiing vocals make this an enjoyable, if overall lightweight entry into the early prog-metal genre. It might be more accurate to describe Blind Guardian as prog-speed metal, since the group's songs here are built around precise twin guitar riffing which burns a speedy pace through most of the album. While Somewhere Far Beyond is definitely a guitar lovers' record, the group flexes its song writing skills somewhat with the inclusion of acoustic interludes with a medieval feel, as well as the occasional dynamic shift mid-song, which adds an element of artistry that elevates it above the group's more conventional peers. Technically speaking, this album is par for the course when compared to other prog-metal releases, but the band's sound is unique enough to keep things exciting.

The main attraction here is the energy, punctuated in the killer display of instrumental skill in the opener, the non-stop shredfest of "Jouirney Through the Dark", and the spooky mood in "Ashes to Ashes". There is an epic feel to most of these songs, giving it an air of power metal. The vocalist, Hansi Kürsch, adds a lot to the feel of the band as well, his powerful voice consisting mostly of a gravelly scream that is relentless in its delivery.

However, the album's schtick wears thin by the halfway piont, with the second "Bard's Song" sending the record into a nose dive that crashes with the bizzare "Spread Your Wings"-- which sounds like the group is covering an Elton John tune. This, and the general feeling of sameness which blasts through most of the first half, makes Somewhere Far Beyond an entertaining if flawed experience. A good metal album, but clearly missing something to make it a great one.

Songwriting: 2 Instrumental Performances: 3 Lyrics/Vocals: 3 Style/Emotion/Replay: 3

Review by Warthur
4 stars Somewhere far beyond takes the approach of Tales From the Twilight World, diversifies the sound a little, and continues down the usual Blind Guardian path of endearingly dorky fantasy fiction references wrapped in power metal riffs. This time around, the band sound more confident than ever - perhaps at points verging on the pretentious, but power metal is one of those genres which benefits from time to time from a little bit of megalomania - and the inclusion of some elements of folk metal makes it a bit less homogeneous than previous albums from the group. On the whole, the early 1990s was a very exciting time to be a Blind Guardian fan, thanks precisely to albums like this.

2 stars Somewhere Far Beyond ? 1992 (2.4/5) 9 ? Best Song: Bard Song (The Hobbit) You know what artistic growth equals to in the world of heavy metal? You look at the guy who made the most money in the last few years then do what he did. In this case you have Blind Guardian's first real album (the ot ... (read more)

Report this review (#441408) | Posted by Alitare | Sunday, May 01, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Often regarded as a classic, “Somewhere Far Beyond” represents also an important transitional point for Blind Guardian, from the relatively straight-forward speed metal music they were playing, in the beginning, to the more ambitious path they went through with this record and all it ... (read more)

Report this review (#180429) | Posted by Nhorf | Thursday, August 21, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is Blind Guardian's Magnum Opus. Somewhere Far Beyond takes their euro-teutonic power metal one step further from "Tales..", their previous also excellent album... But, this time they managed to minimise their -more than obvious- Helloween influences and find a more personal sound. They ... (read more)

Report this review (#148445) | Posted by toolis | Thursday, November 01, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A Brilliant album and only hints what's to come. Very poweful choruses and guitar licks. The fantasy lyrics are also very cool to read especially the ''Dark Tower'' one . ( Somewehre far Beyond). For any fan of progressive metal. A bit of prog here and there but if Rhapsody is in the archives, ... (read more)

Report this review (#127968) | Posted by Winter_is_Comin | Monday, July 09, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BLIND GUARDIAN "Somewhere Far Beyond"