BBC SESSIONS

Proto-Prog

The Who BBC Sessions album cover

Buy THE WHO Music
Live, released in 2000

1. My Generation (BBC Radio 1 jingle) (0:57)
2. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (Townshend, Roger Daltrey) (2:44)
3. Good Lovin' (Rudy Clark, Arthur Resnick) (1:49)
4. Just You and Me, Darling (James Brown) (2:01)
5. Leaving Here (Holland-Dozier-Holland) (2:34)
6. My Generation (3:23)
7. The Good's Gone (2:59)
8. La-La-La-Lies (2:11)
9. Substitute (3:30)
10. Man with Money (Don Everly, Phil Everly) (2:31)
11. Dancing in the Street (William "Mickey" Stevenson, Marvin Gaye, Ivy Jo Hunter) (2:23)
12. Disguises (2:57)
13. I'm a Boy (2:39)
14. Run Run Run (3:16)
15. Boris the Spider (John Entwistle) (2:13)
16. Happy Jack (2:09)
17. See My Way (Daltrey) (1:50)
18. Pictures of Lily (2:34)
19. A Quick One, While He's Away (7:01)
20. Substitute (Version 2) (2:12)
21. The Seeker (3:04)
22. I'm Free (2:24)
23. Shakin' All Over / Spoonful (Johnny Kidd, Willie Dixon) (3:41)
24. Relay (4:56)
25. Long Live Rock (3:52)
26. Boris the Spider (BBC Radio 1 jingle) (Entwistle) (0:10)

Total time 71:07

- John Entwistle / bass
- Keith Moon / drums

Recorded in 1965 - 1973

CD MCA B00004D3DH (2000)

Due to publishing restrictions, the American version dropped "Man with the Money" and edited out the few lines from "Spoonful" contained in "Shakin' All Over"

Thanks to Eetu Pellonpää for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

THE WHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WHO BBC Sessions Music

Live at LeedsLive at Leeds
Remastered · Extra tracks
Mca 1995
The Who, Face Dances, WB Records HS 3516 with lyrics on inner sleeve US $0.99 [0 bids]
31m 47s
Murder By Death - Who Will Survive and What will be left of Them? US $11.99 Buy It Now 32m 10s
The Who Tommy MCAD2-10005 US $9.99 [0 bids]
32m 47s
Rachel Sweet Stiff-Records 45 Record #44 NM PS 1979 I Go To Pieces / Who Does L US $12.00 Buy It Now 32m 56s
THE WHO Happy Jack LP NM- DL 74892 DECCA US $34.99 Buy It Now 33m 6s
THE WHO The Kids Are Alright 2xLP VG++ PROMO W/ Booklet & Inner Sleeves US $27.99 Buy It Now 34m
DAVID BOWIE LOT OF 35 LPS 45 CD MAN WHO SOLD PROMO PORTRAIT SEALED VELVETS T.REX US $227.50 [14 bids]
34m 7s
CRAZYTOWN Toxic + Darkside 1999 PROMO CD Who The "F" Is US $0.49 [0 bids]
34m 33s
Black Flag Who's Got The 10 1/2 USA Cassette Tape punk crust hardcore US $14.99 Buy It Now 35m 16s
Let's Pretend Snow White & Rose Red The Queen Who Couldn't 1970 CHILDREN'S SS LP US $10.00 Buy It Now 35m 33s
KOLETTES Who's That Guy GIRL GROUP NORTHERN SOUL 45 Rare DJ Promo CHECKER Hear US $40.00 Buy It Now 35m 43s
THE WHO "HOOLIGANS" GATEFOLD LP 1981 US $8.99 Buy It Now 36m 21s
UB40 - Who You Fighting For - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! Gold DJ Stamp US $9.72 Buy It Now 38m 35s
The Who Thirty Years Japan Issue 4CD Box Townshend MOD US $99.99 Buy It Now 38m 58s
CILLA BLACK, ANYONE WHO HAD A HEART, 1964 7" SINGLE, VG US $3.31 [0 bids]
39m 33s
PDHM - WHO KNOWS THE UNKNOWN (BRAND NEW ENHANCED CD) US $2.64 Buy It Now 39m 35s
HEAR! Country Bopper 45 COUNTRY MAMMA ANNIE Who Do You US $15.00 Buy It Now 39m 45s
NORTHERN SOUL 45-THE ROYAL PREMIERS-WHO AM I WITHOUT YOUR LOVE-TOY-DJ-LISTEN US $39.99 [0 bids]
42m 7s
MADONNA LOT 12'' LIVE TELL INTO GROOVE EROTICA WHO'S THAT GIRL CAUSING CO??????? US $35.00 Buy It Now 43m 2s
Deep Purple - Who Do We Think We Are music cassette tape US $4.99 [0 bids]
43m 11s
Live at Leeds [LP] by Who (The) (Vinyl, Dec-2003, PMS) US $75.00 [0 bids]
43m 14s
Rolling Stone 100th Anniversary Issue ~Special Collectors Edition 3D~ Who's Who US $2.95 [1 bids]
43m 26s
Used The Who Who's Better, Who's Best Music CD & Case US $2.00 [0 bids]
43m 49s
NEW! MADONNA WHO'S THAT GIRL 12" CLEAR VINYL PROMO DISC. ONLY 70 COPIES+POSTER US $129.00 Buy It Now 43m 58s
(DH377) Paul Moody, You Know Who You Are - 2007 DJ CD US $10.13 Buy It Now 44m 55s
CHARLY McCLAIN LOVE SCENES/WHO'S CHEATIN' WHO 45 RPM US $2.98 Buy It Now 45m 10s
DJ KAYSLAY Who Gives A...Where You From DJCD PROMO CD US $0.49 [0 bids]
45m 48s
Lot 2 Gordy 45s Edwin Starr Martha Reeves War He Who Picks a Rose US $12.00 Buy It Now 46m 13s
Brand New In Presentaion Box Official The Who Target Logo Ceramic Mug US $8.22 Buy It Now 46m 21s
G-MONEY - GHETTO DRAMA VOL 1 WHO CAN I TRUST CD 1999 US $7.99 Buy It Now 46m 21s
Dream Jungle by John "Rabbit" Bundrick/new cd/The Who/Free US $19.99 Buy It Now 46m 28s
The WHO YOU ARE WHO CD DIGIPAK DEMOS and OUTTAKES 76-78 WHO ARE YOU LP Rare OOP US $19.99 [1 bids]
46m 45s
Jessie J - WHO YOU ARE (Clean Version) CD - Used US $8.00 Buy It Now 48m 15s
THE WHO - Live In Amsterdam 2CD 1969/1989 The Swingin' Pig Records VGC RARE! US $35.99 [1 bids]
49m 7s
KEITH MOON Two Sides of The Moon 2CD 1975/06 Castle Deluxe SEALED RARE (THE WHO) US $39.99 [0 bids]
49m 35s
Colony - Who I Wanted To Be [CD New] US $5.95 Buy It Now 49m 58s
Easybeats - Who'll Be The One [CD New] US $13.93 Buy It Now 51m 25s
Beverley Knight Prodigal Sista/Who I Am 2-CD NEW SEALED 2012 US $9.95 Buy It Now 51m 34s
2 Connie Francis LP Albums/1958 Who's Sorry Now & 1961 Never on Sunday US $4.99 [0 bids]
51m 37s
THE MAN WHO LOVED WOMEN Soundtrack OST Varese Sarabande CD Henry Mancini SEALED US $69.95 Buy It Now 51m 56s
Great Cd Lot - Willie Nelson / Rolling Stones / Neil Young Crazy Horse / The Who US $19.99 [0 bids]
52m 5s
Turtle - Who Knows Ep [Vinyl New] US $15.43 Buy It Now 52m 24s
Tex Beneke & His Orchestra - Here's To The Ladies Who Sang With The Ban [CD New] US $16.41 Buy It Now 52m 25s
Who - Ultimate Collection [CD New] US $15.95 Buy It Now 52m 35s
Frankie Avalon TEEN 45 (Chancellor PROMO 1077) Gotta Get a Girl/Who Else But You US $4.66 Buy It Now 53m 6s
45 EL DEBARGE - LOVE IN A SPECIAL WAY B/W WHO'S JOHNNY SHORT CIRCUIT THEME US $1.18 Buy It Now 53m 9s
(BA778) Orange Blue, Can Somebody Tell Me Who - 2000 CD US $4.57 Buy It Now 53m 16s
ACCUSER "Who Dominates Who?" (REISSUE, RARE!!) Assassin,Shah,Deathrow,Coroner US $29.99 Buy It Now 53m 17s
Radio Show: FLASHBACK! 11/14/11 ZZ TOP, POLICE, CARS, WHO, FREE, BON JOVI, CSN US $15.99 Buy It Now 53m 28s
LOOKING GLASS - Who's Gonna Sing My Rock N Roll Song/Sweet Somethin' - DJ, 1973 US $7.99 [0 bids]
56m 13s
Travis The Invisible Band & The Man Who 2 CD Lot! US $1.00 [0 bids]
59m 21s
? The WHO - Tommy (Decca DL 75126) 2 LPs in tri-fold cover with a lyric booklet US $24.99 Buy It Now 59m 46s
Ed Ames RCA Victor 45 Record #9400 NM PS Who will answer/My love is gone from me US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h
The Who ; The Who By Numbers on LP US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h
Burton Cummings - Dream of a Child 1978 LP EX+ The Guess Who w/ inner lyric US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h
Tom Jones LP I (Who Have Nothing) * Parrot XPAS-71039 US $3.35 [0 bids]
1h
Classical Music For People Who Hate Classical Music, Vol. 1 (CD, May-2001, Direc US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 2m
The Who Won't Get Fooled Again I Don't Even Know Myself Decca 32846 45 RPM US $2.00 [0 bids]
Aretha Franklin Who's Zoomin' Who? Arista AL8 8286 Freeway Of Love LP US $2.00 [0 bids]
Tom Jones I (Who Have Nothing) Parrot XPAS 71039 LP US $2.00 [0 bids]
Grouper "The Man Who Died In His Boat" NEW LP (dragging dead deer up hill) US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Huge Rock Vinyl Album Collection! Rolling Stones The Who The Pretenders US $25.00 [1 bids]
Freddy Martin And His Orch. 45 The Song Is You/Who RCA Records #3167 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Clyde McPhatter 45 Who's Worried Now/Hold On,I'm Coming Shag Records #AR-107 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
RAINBOW - Long Live Rock N Roll CD Remaster Ritchie Blackmore Dio Who Hendrix US $4.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - Very Best Of CD Black Sabbath AC/DC Rainbow Led Zeppelin Dio Who US $4.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - Made in Japan CD Black Sabbath AC/DC Rainbow Led Zeppelin Dio Who US $4.99 [0 bids]
RAINBOW - On Stage CD Remaster Dio The Who Hendrix Black Sabbath AC/DC Motorhead US $4.99 [0 bids]
Rare 1954 Doo Wop The Charms Deluse 6062 45rpm Hearts of Stone Who Knows NR US $5.99 [0 bids]
Rare The Who Track Records 60106 45rpm See Me Feel Me Overture From Tommy MCA NR US $5.99 [0 bids]
Rare Northern Soul Little Milton Whos Cheating Who? Checker 1113 45rpm Aint No US $9.99 [0 bids]
Silk-E - Urban Therapy (CD) Hard Times, My House, 10, Who's Gonna Pay?, Respect US $0.99 [0 bids]
Rare Charlie Rich Phillips 3566 45rpm Caught In The Middle Who Will Be Next NR US $7.99 [0 bids]
1950s R&B Nappy Brown Savoy 1569 45rpm For Those Who Love This Is My Confession US $9.99 [0 bids]
Tom Jones : I (Who have nothing) : Original Record / Album US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Rare Mike Tiger R.P.I. 12570 45rpm Louisiana Archie Who At L.S.U. Hey Fighting US $19.99 [0 bids]
The Who - Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy (Vinyl, 1971) VG US $4.99 [0 bids]
The Who, Who's Next, Decca DL 79182 US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE WHO - THE BBC SESSIONS [THE WHO] [CD] [1 DISC] [008811196028] - NEW CD US $9.48 Buy It Now 1h 15m
THE SAPPHIRES~"Who Do You Love" ~ SEALED" CD!!! US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Who I Am by Alan Jackson (CD, Jun-1994, Arista) US $0.49 [0 bids]
McVICAR Original Soundtrack LP.The Who Films Starring Roger Daltry NM US $6.50 [0 bids]
WHO - DANGER! OVER HEAD LIVE WIRES - VERY RARE - 2 CD US $69.99 [0 bids]
WHO - BRIDGE BENEFIT REUNION 1999 - VERY RARE - 2 CD US $69.99 [0 bids]
WHO - LOUDER THAN LIVE - VERY RARE - 2 CD US $69.99 [0 bids]
John Lennon & Yoko Ono -- Instant Karma b/w Who Has Seen The Wind 7" US $1.59 [0 bids]
The Catalinas 45 "Who's That Knocking / That Lucky Old Sun" ~ Doo-Wop US $3.49 Buy It Now 1h 17m
PETE TOWNSHEND Face the Face / Won't Get Fooled Again 12" Promo ATCO The Who US $8.98 [0 bids]
FRED RICH ORCH/ SAM LANIN ORCH CAMEO WHO WOULDNT/ BLUE ROOM US $6.00 [0 bids]
RAHEEM DEVAUGHN Guess Who Loves You More 12" Jive/Zomba JDAB-62662-1 (2004) NM US $4.79 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Who Pays the Ferryman?-Yannis Markopoulos plus Free UK Post US $14.94 Buy It Now 1h 18m
OZOMATLI (Who Discovered) America? 2004 PROMO CD US $1.99 [0 bids]
EDDIE FLOYD - Guess Who / Something to Write Home About 45 Stax soul r US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Eddy Howard 78 RPM "Ask anyone who knows/I Wonder I Wonder I Wonder" US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Doctor Who Series 4 - Various US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Who Made Who [Remaster] [HyperCD] - AC/DC (CD 2003) US $7.02 Buy It Now 1h 22m
1987 Ronnie Spector Who Can Sleep 45, promo, picture sleeve US $4.99 [0 bids]
ELLA MAE MORSE - CAPITOL 2343 DEMO - THE GUY WHO INVENTED KISSIN' US $19.99 [0 bids]
EDWARD MEEKER. - EDISON 50970 - WHO TIED THE CAN ON THE OLD DOG'S TAIL US $19.99 [0 bids]
Bruce Broughton, THE BOY WHO COULD FLY Original Score/Soundtrack CD (VCD47279) US $34.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy THE WHO music online Buy THE WHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WHO BBC Sessions ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(19%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(31%)

THE WHO BBC Sessions reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars This is a document of rock history, recorded for the Beeb. Like its counterparts from Deep Purple and Led Zep, this was released way after the actual recordings. In 2000. Most of the songs are gently rendered and are not really in-line with The Who's fame on stage. The version I have, features more songs than the ones listed on PA. Here they are.

The numbers were played between May 65 and January 1973. Lots of different shows were involved : Saturday Club for "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere", "Just You And Me, Darling", "Leaving Here". "Good Lovin" was recorded on June 15 for the Top Gear show. The last 65 session (Saturday Club) holds "My Generation", "The Good's Gone", "La La La Lies". The latter two not being real great I must say.

A little jump in time (March 66) for the next three number. "Substitute", "Man with Money" (a cover song from the Everly Brothers), "Dancing in the Street" which is another cover from Marvin Gaye (amongst others). No real big fuss about these (except "Substitute" of course). They were recorded for Saturday Club.

"Disguises" and "I'm A Boy" were taped at the BBC Playhouse Theater in September 66. Sound for the former is pretty bad while during the introduction of the latter, the speaker asked if there's a special meaning behind the latter. But the answer will be .... not at all even if lots of journalists were trying to find complex explanations for some Who songs like "Substitute" which had no meaning at all (dixit The Who).

Another jump in time (January 67) for the next four numbers again for Saturday Night. " Run Run Run", "Boris The Spider", "Happy Jack" and "See My Way". None belongs to my most estimated Who numbers. "Boris" is of course extremely psychedelic but has never been a fave of mine at all. At the end of the song, the speaker asked Pete about their reputation of smashing equipment on stage and if they knew the value of the instruments destroyed so far. Pete will say : about 6,000 £ ! Remember, we are in 1967 and The Who only had a short career behind them ! Jack is also better known but really too naïve to be interesting to me.

One of the most interesting sequence is the one recorded on the 10th of October for Top Gear, involving the extremely funny radio jingle of "My Generation" recorded to promote Radio One (Radio One is my favourite station), "Pictures Of Lilly" and "A Quick One (While He's Away)" their first mini-opera. Personally, I far much prefer their live version available on the Deluxe version of "Live At Leeds" which is really extraordinary.

We'll jump now seriously in time with the next recording taking place in April, 1970. It was broadcast in the Dave Lee Travis show. The fame of The Who after their Woodstock appearence and the release of Tommy is now enormous. Still, only one number from "Tommy" with "I'm Free" (a very positive song of course in a nice but gentle rendition). But why did they need to perform "Substitute" again ? "The Seeker" was their latest single at the moment, so it is quite logic to get it played while "Shakin' All Over" was a classic of their live performances at the time.

From the last session in January 73 (29th), we'll get "Relay" a great Who single that never appeared on an album (it was the year of Quadrophenia...). I am also biased with this song. I bought the single at the time of release and quite liked it. This live version, although over-extended at the end is rather good.

This album can not compete with some other ones recorded for the Beeb (Purple, Led Zep, Hendrix...). The performances of The Who here are far much too polished. They lack some craziness and wildness I guess. Therefore, I can only rate it with two stars. This is for die-hard fans only. The live reference for The Who still remains "Live At Leeds" (the double CD Deluxe edition).

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#130435) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 27, 2007

Post a review of THE WHO "BBC Sessions"