BBC SESSIONS

Proto-Prog

The Who BBC Sessions album cover

Buy THE WHO Music
Live, released in 2000

1. My Generation (BBC Radio 1 jingle) (0:57)
2. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (Townshend, Roger Daltrey) (2:44)
3. Good Lovin' (Rudy Clark, Arthur Resnick) (1:49)
4. Just You and Me, Darling (James Brown) (2:01)
5. Leaving Here (Holland-Dozier-Holland) (2:34)
6. My Generation (3:23)
7. The Good's Gone (2:59)
8. La-La-La-Lies (2:11)
9. Substitute (3:30)
10. Man with Money (Don Everly, Phil Everly) (2:31)
11. Dancing in the Street (William "Mickey" Stevenson, Marvin Gaye, Ivy Jo Hunter) (2:23)
12. Disguises (2:57)
13. I'm a Boy (2:39)
14. Run Run Run (3:16)
15. Boris the Spider (John Entwistle) (2:13)
16. Happy Jack (2:09)
17. See My Way (Daltrey) (1:50)
18. Pictures of Lily (2:34)
19. A Quick One, While He's Away (7:01)
20. Substitute (Version 2) (2:12)
21. The Seeker (3:04)
22. I'm Free (2:24)
23. Shakin' All Over / Spoonful (Johnny Kidd, Willie Dixon) (3:41)
24. Relay (4:56)
25. Long Live Rock (3:52)
26. Boris the Spider (BBC Radio 1 jingle) (Entwistle) (0:10)

Total time 71:07

- John Entwistle / bass
- Keith Moon / drums

Recorded in 1965 - 1973

CD MCA B00004D3DH (2000)

Due to publishing restrictions, the American version dropped "Man with the Money" and edited out the few lines from "Spoonful" contained in "Shakin' All Over"

Thanks to Eetu Pellonpää for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

THE WHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WHO BBC Sessions Music

Who Sell OutWho Sell Out
Remastered · Extra tracks
Mca 1995
Live at LeedsLive at Leeds
Remastered · Extra tracks
Mca 1995
JOHN BASSETTE John Who STILL SEALED Folk Private Press1978 Ohio Vanity Poetry LP US $10.00 [0 bids]
31m 36s
THE WHO ROGER DALTREY original 10x8 inch promo press photo photograph 4233-3 US $8.42 Buy It Now 31m 47s
THE WHO ROGER DALTREY original 10x8 inch promo press photo photograph 4233-2 US $8.42 Buy It Now 32m 40s
The Who-"Tommy" Soundtrack 2 1975 12" Lp's Vinyl Polydor "Thick Lyric Sleeves" US $3.50 [0 bids]
33m 58s
THE WHO ROGER DALTREY original 10x8 inch promo press photo photograph 4233-1 US $8.42 Buy It Now 34m 17s
Mr.Orange - Who can understand it - Japan CD J-POP OBI US $8.54 Buy It Now 35m 37s
Tom Jones 45 "i who have nothing w/" Picture Sleeve EX SHAPE WRAPPED IN PLASTIC US $7.01 Buy It Now 35m 45s
MADONNA "'WHO'S THAT GIRL" / "WHITE HEAT" 7" 45 PICTURE SLEEVE 1987 US $2.99 Buy It Now 37m 1s
Mankind, Dr. Who, Motor Records MTR-001/012, Blue Vinyl, 1978, 12" 45 Disco, NM US $9.99 Buy It Now 38m 6s
STAPLE SINGERS "MY MAIN MAN c/w WHO MADE THE MAN" MODERN SOUL LISTEN! US $10.11 Buy It Now 38m 48s
The Who Who's Next DL79182 Decca US $23.00 [0 bids]
39m 4s
Phil Collins Who Said I Would JAPAN 3"CD US $3.99 [0 bids]
40m 53s
John Powell "Horton Hears A Who " Score JAPAN CD OBI T794 US $3.99 [0 bids]
40m 54s
THE WHO my generation JAPAN CD OBI G46 US $3.99 [0 bids]
40m 54s
LP (ROOD VINYL) '' POP SOUND 70 ''/POLYDOR/ VARIOUS ARTISTS THE WHO JOHN MAYALL US $25.49 [0 bids]
41m 33s
Who You Are NEW US $8.42 Buy It Now 41m 55s
FRAMED THE WHO AUTOGRAPHED LP, "WHO'S NEXT" SIGNED, DALTREY, TOWNSHEND US $506.47 Buy It Now 44m 12s
Pete Townshend & Various Meher Baba With Love LP Ron Wood Lane 003-76 The Who US $129.99 Buy It Now 44m 21s
Roger Daltrey Ride A Rock Horse Japan Original Vinyl LP with OBI The WHO US $79.99 Buy It Now 45m 47s
WHO:Baba O'Riley 4:59-Don't Know Myself 4:26-Spain 7" 1971 Polydor NO RECORD PSL US $38.98 Buy It Now 46m 24s
Still Sealed LP- THE GUESS WHO "Artificial Paradise" US $7.68 [0 bids]
46m 52s
Doctor Who - The New Series: 1 - Volume 3 [UMD Mini for PSP] By Christopher Ecc US $34.46 Buy It Now 47m 18s
Black Moon, Who Got The Props/ F***k It Up (G) LP 12" US $13.96 Buy It Now 47m 20s
CASUALTIES - Who's In Control CD NEW PUNK ROCK US $16.99 Buy It Now 48m 35s
Austin Powers The Spy Who Sgahhed Me Movie Soundtrack Audio CD US $11.82 Buy It Now 49m 24s
Still Sealed LP- THE GUESS WHO "The Way They Were" Unreleased Recordings US $7.60 [0 bids]
49m 32s
Who - 30 Years/Maximum (Box) (1994) - Used - Compact Disc US $13.58 Buy It Now 50m 23s
Zz/Various Artists - Opera For People Who Hate... (1995) - Used - Compact D US $1.37 Buy It Now 50m 26s
(109M) Foxes, Who Klled Rob? - DJ CD US $5.05 Buy It Now 51m 20s
Lot of 12 45rpm Records - White Rabbit Eric Burdon The Guess Who - Item #B208 US $44.99 Buy It Now 51m 33s
Ray ParkerJr.&Raydio"For Those Who Like to Groove/Two Places at the Same Time"45 US $4.95 Buy It Now 51m 47s
Outrage / Who We Are JAPAN Metallica Casbah Sacrifice PROMO NEW!!! B US $29.99 Buy It Now 52m 41s
DeBARGE WHO'S HOLDING DONNA NOW / BE MY LADY 1985 GORDY 1793GF USA EX 45 US $1.47 Buy It Now 52m 54s
THE JAM Just Who Is The 5 O'Clock Hero Uk 12" US $14.99 Buy It Now 52m 56s
Plan B - Who Needs Actions When You Got Words 2011 (NEW CD) US $8.61 Buy It Now 53m 28s
The Who LP , It's Hard, WB 1- 23731, VG+ US $6.95 Buy It Now 53m 41s
CD Who Do U Think U R? Loose Cannon US $4.00 Buy It Now 55m 24s
KC AND THE SUNSHINE BAND "Who do ya love" 45 rpm US $3.00 Buy It Now 56m 42s
GILLIS, Don. Man Who Invented Music/ Portrait of a Frontier Town. London LL-176 US $20.00 Buy It Now 56m 52s
THE WHO BY NUMBERS ADVERT 8 NOV 1975 FULL PAGE US $16.87 Buy It Now 58m 32s
DEEP PURPLE - Cassette Tape 2 Albums Machine Head & Who Do We Think We Are US $7.99 [0 bids]
59m 4s
Punch Brothers - Who's Feeling Young Now? (NEW CD) US $21.51 Buy It Now 59m 44s
CHARLATANS WHO WE TOUCH CD2 NEW US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h
THE WHO ?- Who Are You - RARE EARLY CASSETTE TAPE - Paper Labels! US $5.99 [0 bids]
1h
Horslips "The Man Who Built America" On Lp US $9.99 [0 bids]
1h
Young Fresh Fellows The Men Who Loved Music rare LP great condition US $26.99 [0 bids]
Rare 1954 Doo Wop The Charms Deluse 6062 45rpm Hearts of Stone Who Knows NR US $5.99 [0 bids]
Charlatans - Who We Touch (NEW 2 x 12" VINYL LP) US $41.35 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Nick Swardson : Seriously, Who Farted? CD (2009) US $4.34 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Who's Afraid Of The ART OF NOISE Orig UK LP ZTT VG- US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
The WHO - Who's Greatest Hits - CASSETTE TAPE - MCAC-1496 - Excellent Condition! US $5.99 [1 bids]
Brenda Duncan & the VOP SEALED Lp He Opened My Eyes The Vietnam Vet Who Cries US $9.95 [0 bids]
WHO STOLE THE KEESHKA AND OTHER POLKAS DS-2292 SKU: 1503 US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
GREAT MOVIE THEMES STARRING EDDIE FISHER WHO SINGS GIGI & TONIGHT-RARE LP WB3 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Crawford, Randy Look Who's Lonely Now K17978 7 INCH VINYL RECORD EX/EX 08 US $4.54 Buy It Now 1h 9m
The Who - You Better You Bet 7" Single 1981 US $13.51 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Guy Mitchell 78 RPM Record "My Truly Truly Fair/Who knows love" US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 11m
COLOSSEUM Those Who Are About to Die Salute You MINI LP CD US $16.99 Buy It Now 1h 11m
The One Who Sings Prays Twice - The Louder You Sing the Better We Sound (CD) US $9.95 [0 bids]
MADONNA Who's That Girl German 45PS 1987 US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Who - Who's Next (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $35.44 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Who Are You-The Who-1978-Vinyl LP-Very Good Used-Free Ship USA US $9.99 [0 bids]
It Wasn't God who mad Honky Tonk Angels Loren Becker Signed - Indian Love Call US $7.65 [0 bids]
Lot of 12 45rpm Records - Steppewolf Guess Who Hollies The Contours - Item #B207 US $44.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Rod Bernard 45 Colinda/Who's Gonna Rock My Baby Hall-Way Records #45-1902 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
THE WHO "MAGIC BUS" / "SOMEONE'S CALLING" 7" 45 MINT- US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Baby Buddah Heads Who Killed Acid Jazz SEALED TAPE MINT FREE US SHIPPING US $3.49 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Guess Who Chad Allen Sequel Canada LP Canada Randy Bachman Burton Cummings US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 25m
HURRICANE SMITH " WHO WAS IT ? / TAKE SUKI HOME " 1972 7" SINGLE VG US $3.36 Buy It Now 1h 26m
78 RPM Who? Me? & Foolish Years Sung By Tex Williams And His Western Caravan US $2.70 [0 bids]
Vintage 78RPM Ben Selvin and his Orchestra with vocal chorus. Baby Face/Who Woul US $5.94 [0 bids]
VINTAGE 78RPM PERRY COMO. I WONDER WHO'S KISSING HER NOW/WHEN TONIGHT IS JUST A US $1.08 [0 bids]
Castillo,Aj - Who I Am [CD New] US $15.01 Buy It Now 1h 29m
THE WHO - LIVE AT LEEDS CASSETTE MCAC-37000 IN MINT COND / ROGER DALTRY US $11.04 [0 bids]
Guess Who - These Eyes [CD New] US $6.62 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Mika - Boy Who Knew Too Much-Deluxe Edition [CD New] US $15.23 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Plan B - Who Needs Actions When You Got Words [CD New] US $8.80 Buy It Now 1h 30m
TOMMY the who DVD-A DVD AUDIO SURROUND SOUND 5.1 2004 2-Disc Set OOP US $59.99 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Who Let the Dogs Out by Baha Men (c10) US $2.75 Buy It Now 1h 33m
CD Who Let the Boys Out Various Artist Single US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 34m
CD Who Let the Girls Out Countdown Single US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 34m
THE WHO - Rock Band Logo EMBROIDERED PATCH US $5.91 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Poor - Who Cares - BAD120501 US $23.53 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Who: Sensation - The Story of Tommy DVD 801213064298 US $9.89 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Who's Better, Who's Best by The Who (CD, Nov-1988, MCA (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Of Montreal - Then Who Will Protect Big Oil Our Children - PRC144CD US $19.60 Buy It Now 1h 36m
THE WHO Wire & Glass: Six Songs From A Mini Opera CD UK IMPORT MINT CONDITION US $22.99 Buy It Now 1h 36m
The Who Face Dances LP with Poster Sealed US $18.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Lenny Smith - Who Was And Is And Is To Come - GCR004CD US $20.87 Buy It Now 1h 37m
FATHER'S CHILDREN Who's Gonna Save The World US 180g vinyl LP + 7" SEALED/NEW US $38.81 Buy It Now 1h 37m
WHO Isle Of Wight Festival 70 3xcol Vinyl MINT EU Imp US $59.99 Buy It Now 1h 38m
The Guess Who"Undun/Laughing"/45/Stereo US $4.95 Buy It Now 1h 38m
CINDY LEE BERRYHILL Who's Gonna Save The World? LP OOP late-80's Rhino folk US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 38m
Explosions in the Sky - Those Who Tell the Truth - TRR34 US $18.27 Buy It Now 1h 38m
Bo Diddley - Who Do You Love - 250337 US $12.65 Buy It Now 1h 38m
THE WHO - Let's See Action French PS Hard Rock Mods 1971 US $10.00 [0 bids]
EX/EX Die Cut Sleeve First Issue + Inserts !! The Who/Odds & Sods/1974 Track LP US $148.57 Buy It Now 1h 39m
The Who Live at Leeds Japan CD OBI P33P US $14.99 [0 bids]
TOMMY ROCK OPERA THE WHO 2 LPS ODE 99001 GATEFOLD ORIGINAL BOX BOOKL US $25.00 [0 bids]
The Guess Who-Running Back Thru Canada 2CD 2000 ViK/BMG/Canadian Rock/Live US $23.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m

More places to buy THE WHO music online Buy THE WHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WHO BBC Sessions ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(19%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(31%)

THE WHO BBC Sessions reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars This is a document of rock history, recorded for the Beeb. Like its counterparts from Deep Purple and Led Zep, this was released way after the actual recordings. In 2000. Most of the songs are gently rendered and are not really in-line with The Who's fame on stage. The version I have, features more songs than the ones listed on PA. Here they are.

The numbers were played between May 65 and January 1973. Lots of different shows were involved : Saturday Club for "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere", "Just You And Me, Darling", "Leaving Here". "Good Lovin" was recorded on June 15 for the Top Gear show. The last 65 session (Saturday Club) holds "My Generation", "The Good's Gone", "La La La Lies". The latter two not being real great I must say.

A little jump in time (March 66) for the next three number. "Substitute", "Man with Money" (a cover song from the Everly Brothers), "Dancing in the Street" which is another cover from Marvin Gaye (amongst others). No real big fuss about these (except "Substitute" of course). They were recorded for Saturday Club.

"Disguises" and "I'm A Boy" were taped at the BBC Playhouse Theater in September 66. Sound for the former is pretty bad while during the introduction of the latter, the speaker asked if there's a special meaning behind the latter. But the answer will be .... not at all even if lots of journalists were trying to find complex explanations for some Who songs like "Substitute" which had no meaning at all (dixit The Who).

Another jump in time (January 67) for the next four numbers again for Saturday Night. " Run Run Run", "Boris The Spider", "Happy Jack" and "See My Way". None belongs to my most estimated Who numbers. "Boris" is of course extremely psychedelic but has never been a fave of mine at all. At the end of the song, the speaker asked Pete about their reputation of smashing equipment on stage and if they knew the value of the instruments destroyed so far. Pete will say : about 6,000 £ ! Remember, we are in 1967 and The Who only had a short career behind them ! Jack is also better known but really too naïve to be interesting to me.

One of the most interesting sequence is the one recorded on the 10th of October for Top Gear, involving the extremely funny radio jingle of "My Generation" recorded to promote Radio One (Radio One is my favourite station), "Pictures Of Lilly" and "A Quick One (While He's Away)" their first mini-opera. Personally, I far much prefer their live version available on the Deluxe version of "Live At Leeds" which is really extraordinary.

We'll jump now seriously in time with the next recording taking place in April, 1970. It was broadcast in the Dave Lee Travis show. The fame of The Who after their Woodstock appearence and the release of Tommy is now enormous. Still, only one number from "Tommy" with "I'm Free" (a very positive song of course in a nice but gentle rendition). But why did they need to perform "Substitute" again ? "The Seeker" was their latest single at the moment, so it is quite logic to get it played while "Shakin' All Over" was a classic of their live performances at the time.

From the last session in January 73 (29th), we'll get "Relay" a great Who single that never appeared on an album (it was the year of Quadrophenia...). I am also biased with this song. I bought the single at the time of release and quite liked it. This live version, although over-extended at the end is rather good.

This album can not compete with some other ones recorded for the Beeb (Purple, Led Zep, Hendrix...). The performances of The Who here are far much too polished. They lack some craziness and wildness I guess. Therefore, I can only rate it with two stars. This is for die-hard fans only. The live reference for The Who still remains "Live At Leeds" (the double CD Deluxe edition).

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#130435) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 27, 2007

Post a review of THE WHO "BBC Sessions"