BBC SESSIONS

Proto-Prog

The Who BBC Sessions album cover

Buy THE WHO Music
Live, released in 2000

1. My Generation (BBC Radio 1 jingle) (0:57)
2. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (Townshend, Roger Daltrey) (2:44)
3. Good Lovin' (Rudy Clark, Arthur Resnick) (1:49)
4. Just You and Me, Darling (James Brown) (2:01)
5. Leaving Here (Holland-Dozier-Holland) (2:34)
6. My Generation (3:23)
7. The Good's Gone (2:59)
8. La-La-La-Lies (2:11)
9. Substitute (3:30)
10. Man with Money (Don Everly, Phil Everly) (2:31)
11. Dancing in the Street (William "Mickey" Stevenson, Marvin Gaye, Ivy Jo Hunter) (2:23)
12. Disguises (2:57)
13. I'm a Boy (2:39)
14. Run Run Run (3:16)
15. Boris the Spider (John Entwistle) (2:13)
16. Happy Jack (2:09)
17. See My Way (Daltrey) (1:50)
18. Pictures of Lily (2:34)
19. A Quick One, While He's Away (7:01)
20. Substitute (Version 2) (2:12)
21. The Seeker (3:04)
22. I'm Free (2:24)
23. Shakin' All Over / Spoonful (Johnny Kidd, Willie Dixon) (3:41)
24. Relay (4:56)
25. Long Live Rock (3:52)
26. Boris the Spider (BBC Radio 1 jingle) (Entwistle) (0:10)

Total time 71:07

- John Entwistle / bass
- Keith Moon / drums

Recorded in 1965 - 1973

CD MCA B00004D3DH (2000)

Due to publishing restrictions, the American version dropped "Man with the Money" and edited out the few lines from "Spoonful" contained in "Shakin' All Over"

Thanks to Eetu Pellonpää for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

THE WHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WHO BBC Sessions Music

Who Are YouWho Are You
Extra tracks · Remastered
Mca 1996
Who Sell OutWho Sell Out
Remastered · Extra tracks
Mca 1995
THE WHO:PINBALL WIZARD/DOGS PART TWO:TRACK RECORD 1969 DISK EX (1ST PRESSING) US $23.86 [0 bids]
29m 50s
Death Sentence - Those Who Fear US $11.98 Buy It Now 32m 30s
One Cent CD THE WHO Endless Wire NMINT Bonus Tracks PeteTownshend Roger Daltrey US $0.06 [2 bids]
33m 18s
THE WHO (3 albums) Magic Bus, My Generation and Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy US $41.00 Buy It Now 37m 16s
CHASTAIN "For those who dare" ORG cd Roadrunner 90 US $34.99 Buy It Now 38m 7s
LISTEN - SOUL POPCORN - KOLETTES - JUST HOW MUCH - WHO'S THAT GUY US $34.99 [0 bids]
39m 50s
Tony Toni Tone/Who?/1988 Wing LP/EX US $11.92 Buy It Now 40m 28s
The Guess Who Power In The Music Vinyl LP US $7.00 [0 bids]
40m 52s
The Who Whos Next R VG- C VG (LP-12462) US $6.99 Buy It Now 42m 42s
BLACK FLAG - WHO'S GOT THE 10 1/2 ? NEW VINYL US $27.87 Buy It Now 43m 44s
The Who Live at Leeds MCA37000 R NM C EX+ shrink (LP-12568) US $6.99 Buy It Now 45m 51s
Korn Korn III Remember Who You Are 2010 CD Nu Metal Music Album Brand New US $11.92 Buy It Now 47m
THE GUESS WHO Anthology 2-CD 39-Track Best Of Greatest Hits 1964-1975 US $6.99 [1 bids]
48m 26s
THE WHO/THE WHO ORCHESTRA:SUBSTITUTE/WALTZ FOR A PIG:REACTION 1966 DISK VG US $23.86 [0 bids]
49m 25s
The Best of The Guess Who VG US $1.19 [0 bids]
50m 41s
78rpm DICKIE VALENTINE who`s afraid / finger of suspicion US $27.29 Buy It Now 50m 42s
THE JACKSON 5 I WANT YOU BACK / WHO'S LOVIN YOU 45 MOTOWN 1969 RECORD US $1.00 [0 bids]
51m 9s
3 lp lot QUADROPHENIA The Who Soundtrack SANTANA Festival ARRIVAL US $6.65 [0 bids]
55m 28s
INFERNAL MAJESTY - One Who Points To Death CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Sealed Star Trackin' 76 Ronco R 1976-2 The Who Abba Outlaws Jackson 5 US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
THE WHO MAXIMUM R&B HARD ROCK CONCERT TOUR T-SHIRT 2008-2009 BLACK 2XL US $21.75 Buy It Now 1h 4m
1981 Bill Gaither Trio BLESS THE LORD WHO REIGNS IN BEAUTY vinyl LP Word sealed! US $14.88 Buy It Now 1h 5m
PETE TOWNSHEND & RONNIE LANE Rough Mix LP the who related 1977 US $2.71 [0 bids]
The Who - Live at Leeds (Live Recording) (CD 1995) US $8.51 Buy It Now 1h 7m
HEART 7" PS Japan WHO WILL YOU RUN TO r8770 US $14.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Agaric - Who Made Up the Rules - 10 Track US $6.81 Buy It Now 1h 8m
The Who Collection CD 1985 Impression Records Ltd. Made In France 2 Disc Set US $25.00 [1 bids]
K C AND THE SUNSHINE BAND WHO DO YA LOVE T.K. RECORDS SEALED US $2.99 [0 bids]
THE GUESS WHO 2 lp lot American Woman & Share The Land US $3.00 [0 bids]
Alan Jackson lot of 2 A Lot About Livin' Who I Am Cassette Tape New Sealed US $5.99 [1 bids]
ROD BERNARD 45 RPM COLINDA/WHO'S GONNA ROCK MY BABY (HALL-WAY RECORDS 1902) 1962 US $5.99 [0 bids]
1960 THE MIRACLES 45~WHO'S LOVIN YOU/SHOP AROUND (TAMLA H-55546, H-55518) US $5.99 [0 bids]
1966 THE WOOLIES 45~WHO DO YOU LOVE/HEY GIRL (DUNHILL D-4052) MINT! US $5.99 [0 bids]
7" 45 RPM... TONY BENNETT: THE SHADOW OF YOUR SMILE & WHO CAN I TURN TO US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 16m
The Zutons - Who Killed...... (2004) US $4.95 Buy It Now 1h 16m
WHO~HAPPY JACK~NEAR MINT~DECCA~WHISKEY MAN`~ ROCK 45 US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 16m
JOHNNIE TAYLOR "WHO'S MAKIN' LOVE c/w TAKE CARE OF YOUR HOMEWORK" LISTEN! US $13.63 Buy It Now 1h 17m
THE WHO My Generation SINGLE LAYER SACD Near Mint condition! Deluxe OOP version US $27.50 [5 bids]
The Intruders(12"Vinyl)Who Do You Love-Streetwave-MKHAN 34-VG /VG US $10.22 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Jones, Mike, Who Is Mike Jones? (Screwed & Chopped) Audio CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Who's Got Trouble? by Shivaree (CD, Jan-2005, New Rounder)-USED US $0.99 [0 bids]
ISLEY BROTHERS Who Said b/w Can't You See What You Do To Me STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Soso Who's gonna love me CD Promo Single US $4.25 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Bonfire(7" Vinyl P/S)Who's Foolin Who-MSA-ZB 43 505-Germany-Ex/Ex US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
JEFF BECK Who Else! Sealed on Cassette Tape US $12.95 Buy It Now 1h 23m
THE GUESS WHO 45RPM "UNDUN"&LAUGHING" VICTOR STEREO 74-0195 US $4.24 Buy It Now 1h 24m
The Boy Who Trapped The Sun Home EP CD Promo Single US $4.25 Buy It Now 1h 25m
THE GUESS WHO - Hang On To Your Life/Do You Miss Me (Import) US $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 25m
philippines THE WHO 7" a legal matter 45rpm PROMO COPY DECCA US $140.00 [0 bids]
SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE - REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE (New & Sealed) CD Soul Funk US $3.39 Buy It Now 1h 27m
LOVERS WHO WANDER - DION US $0.99 [0 bids]
OF MONTREAL If He Is Protecting Our Nation Who Will Protect Big Oil CD NEW Rock US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 28m
TRAVIS promo only cd and more INVISIBLE BAND The Man Who TURN LIVE CD US $85.00 [0 bids]
the who-had enough 7" single lp 1978 polydor US $0.99 Buy It Now 1h 32m
THE HOUSEMARTINS - THE PEOPLE WHO GRINNED THEMSELVES TO DEATH,12" ALBUM ON VINYL US $11.43 [8 bids]
EURYTHMICS 7" VINYL P/S WHO'S THAT GIRL ? RCA DA 3 1983 EX US $5.54 Buy It Now 1h 34m
ROGER DALTREY. THE WHO. DRESSING ROOM DOOR SIGN FROM TOMMY TOUR, BRISTOL, 2011. US $1.69 [0 bids]
MIKA-LIFE IN CARTOON MOTION, THE BOY WHO KNEW TOO MUCH-JAPAN 2 CD LTD D95 zd US $23.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
JOHN LENNON-INSTANT KARMA/WHO HAS SEEN THE WIND? APPLE 1818 UNPLAYED! NM 45 US $8.98 Buy It Now 1h 36m
I Know Who Killed Me [Soundtrack] by Joel McNeely (CD) BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED US $11.95 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Original Yellow Label 50's Pop LP: Connie Francis Who's Sorry Now on MGM 3686 US $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 39m
Hypnotize the Moon by Clay Walker (Country CD) "Who Needs You Baby" US $14.58 Buy It Now 1h 39m
THE FOUR LADS WHO NEEDS YOU IT'S SO EASY TO FORGET NEAR MINT SINGLE 1957 US $3.41 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Columbia 78 #35866 - "Yogi Who Lost His Will Power" Jerry Colonna US $9.99 [0 bids]
MEN AT WORK who can it be now JAPAN 7" it 07.5P-196 US $8.09 Buy It Now 1h 42m
The Who "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere" Decca promo Repro Garage Rock 45 NM US $20.49 [6 bids]
7" RICH MCQUEEN " I'M WAITING FOR MY BABY / WHO'S THAT UNDER MY BED " US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Decca 79175 The Who/"Live At Leeds"/With 11 Inserts/Gatefold/LP US $14.95 Buy It Now 1h 46m
The Who "Face Dances" LP US $4.95 Buy It Now 1h 46m
NEW - Do You Know Who I Be by Sinister Quin US $0.99 Buy It Now 1h 46m
The Who Live At Leeds LP Vinyl Decca US $10.00 [2 bids]
TONY BENNETT WHO CAN I TURN TO WALTZ FOR DEBBY EXCELLENT ORIGINAL 1964 US $3.41 Buy It Now 1h 49m
TONY BENNETT WHO CAN I TURN TO WALTZ FOR DEBBY EXCELLENT ORIGINAL PROMO US $3.41 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Solomon Burke Northern Soul 45 Promo MGM J C I know who you are things love will US $3.99 [0 bids]
The WHO High Numbers 1st complete rock opera 2 hour 2lp live show 1969 Amsterdam US $50.99 [0 bids]
THE WHO 45 RPM "Summertime Blues" & "Heaven and Hell" VG to VG+ condition US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 51m
CILLA BLACK 7" ANYONE WHO HAD A HEART-JUST FO argentina ID# 07483 ORIGINAL ODEON US $13.00 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Louie Louie: The Girl Who Seduced The World 12" VG++/NM USA Synthicide 71301-0 US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Victor 78 #1892 - "It's My Lazy Day" & "Who Told You That Lie?" - Vaughn Monroe US $5.95 [0 bids]
SWING OUT SISTER - SURRENDER - WHO'S TO BLAME 7/45 PORTUGAL MERCURY 1987 EX US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 56m
THE GUESS WHO - ONE DIVIDED - 8:15 - EP PORTUGAL RCA EX US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 56m
TAXI Who's to Blame ltd ed tour 7"/GUIDA US $4.98 [0 bids]
Who's Muddy Shoes by Elmore James & John Brim (Cassette, 1984, MCA) US $2.99 [0 bids]
2h
Who's Zoomin' Who? by Aretha Franklin (Cassette, 1985, Arista Records) US $2.99 [0 bids]
AMERICAN WOMAN - THE GUESS WHO 7" 45 RARE EXC PORTUGAL US $9.99 [0 bids]
2h
ICE (Zak Starkey) A2Z - JAPAN CD 1990 TECP-28252 Ringo Starr OASIS THE WHO rare US $24.49 Buy It Now 2h 2m
The Who Hooligans 2 Lp's EX+/NM Vinyl "Lyric Sleeves" US $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 2m
THE WHO Live At Leeds CD 1970 US 1995 Remaster US $6.00 [0 bids]
90s The Who PETE TOWNSHEND interview Rare UK Promo Cassette Tape US $8.51 [0 bids]
CASSETTE: THE WHO Who's next & Who by numbers ROCK POP US $10.22 Buy It Now 2h 4m
CASSETTE: THE WHO Live at Leeds & Who are you ROCK POP US $9.37 Buy It Now 2h 4m
The Who - The Who By Numbers 1975 Ex/Vg Polydor 2490 129 US $17.04 Buy It Now 2h 5m
The Who - Who Are You 1978 Vg/Ex Polydor WHOD 5004 US $17.04 Buy It Now 2h 5m
The Unauthorized Autobiography Of Howard Who? - LP Caedmon NEW US $1.99 [0 bids]
The Who - Who Rocks Harder? 1985 NrMint/Ex DGR 1007 US $17.04 Buy It Now 2h 5m
BRAND NEW + SEALED CD-4 QUAD LP: THE GUESS WHO #10 US $22.99 [0 bids]
JUDY COLLINS Who Knows Where The Time Goes ORIG 1969 EKS-74033 FoLk VG US $1.76 [0 bids]
THE GUESS WHO All This For A Song EXCELLENT ORIGINAL 1979 HILLTAK LP US $1.76 [0 bids]
THE GUESS WHO Share The Land VERY GOOD ORIGINAL 1970 RCA DYNAFLEX LP US $1.76 [0 bids]
THE HISTORY OF THE GUESS WHO EXCEPTIONAL ORIGINAL 1972 PRIDE VINYL LP BEAUTY US $1.76 [0 bids]

More places to buy THE WHO music online Buy THE WHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WHO BBC Sessions ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(19%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(31%)

THE WHO BBC Sessions reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars This is a document of rock history, recorded for the Beeb. Like its counterparts from Deep Purple and Led Zep, this was released way after the actual recordings. In 2000. Most of the songs are gently rendered and are not really in-line with The Who's fame on stage. The version I have, features more songs than the ones listed on PA. Here they are.

The numbers were played between May 65 and January 1973. Lots of different shows were involved : Saturday Club for "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere", "Just You And Me, Darling", "Leaving Here". "Good Lovin" was recorded on June 15 for the Top Gear show. The last 65 session (Saturday Club) holds "My Generation", "The Good's Gone", "La La La Lies". The latter two not being real great I must say.

A little jump in time (March 66) for the next three number. "Substitute", "Man with Money" (a cover song from the Everly Brothers), "Dancing in the Street" which is another cover from Marvin Gaye (amongst others). No real big fuss about these (except "Substitute" of course). They were recorded for Saturday Club.

"Disguises" and "I'm A Boy" were taped at the BBC Playhouse Theater in September 66. Sound for the former is pretty bad while during the introduction of the latter, the speaker asked if there's a special meaning behind the latter. But the answer will be .... not at all even if lots of journalists were trying to find complex explanations for some Who songs like "Substitute" which had no meaning at all (dixit The Who).

Another jump in time (January 67) for the next four numbers again for Saturday Night. " Run Run Run", "Boris The Spider", "Happy Jack" and "See My Way". None belongs to my most estimated Who numbers. "Boris" is of course extremely psychedelic but has never been a fave of mine at all. At the end of the song, the speaker asked Pete about their reputation of smashing equipment on stage and if they knew the value of the instruments destroyed so far. Pete will say : about 6,000 £ ! Remember, we are in 1967 and The Who only had a short career behind them ! Jack is also better known but really too naïve to be interesting to me.

One of the most interesting sequence is the one recorded on the 10th of October for Top Gear, involving the extremely funny radio jingle of "My Generation" recorded to promote Radio One (Radio One is my favourite station), "Pictures Of Lilly" and "A Quick One (While He's Away)" their first mini-opera. Personally, I far much prefer their live version available on the Deluxe version of "Live At Leeds" which is really extraordinary.

We'll jump now seriously in time with the next recording taking place in April, 1970. It was broadcast in the Dave Lee Travis show. The fame of The Who after their Woodstock appearence and the release of Tommy is now enormous. Still, only one number from "Tommy" with "I'm Free" (a very positive song of course in a nice but gentle rendition). But why did they need to perform "Substitute" again ? "The Seeker" was their latest single at the moment, so it is quite logic to get it played while "Shakin' All Over" was a classic of their live performances at the time.

From the last session in January 73 (29th), we'll get "Relay" a great Who single that never appeared on an album (it was the year of Quadrophenia...). I am also biased with this song. I bought the single at the time of release and quite liked it. This live version, although over-extended at the end is rather good.

This album can not compete with some other ones recorded for the Beeb (Purple, Led Zep, Hendrix...). The performances of The Who here are far much too polished. They lack some craziness and wildness I guess. Therefore, I can only rate it with two stars. This is for die-hard fans only. The live reference for The Who still remains "Live At Leeds" (the double CD Deluxe edition).

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#130435) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 27, 2007

Post a review of THE WHO "BBC Sessions"