BBC SESSIONS

Proto-Prog

The Who BBC Sessions album cover

Buy THE WHO Music
Live, released in 2000

1. My Generation (BBC Radio 1 jingle) (0:57)
2. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (Townshend, Roger Daltrey) (2:44)
3. Good Lovin' (Rudy Clark, Arthur Resnick) (1:49)
4. Just You and Me, Darling (James Brown) (2:01)
5. Leaving Here (Holland-Dozier-Holland) (2:34)
6. My Generation (3:23)
7. The Good's Gone (2:59)
8. La-La-La-Lies (2:11)
9. Substitute (3:30)
10. Man with Money (Don Everly, Phil Everly) (2:31)
11. Dancing in the Street (William "Mickey" Stevenson, Marvin Gaye, Ivy Jo Hunter) (2:23)
12. Disguises (2:57)
13. I'm a Boy (2:39)
14. Run Run Run (3:16)
15. Boris the Spider (John Entwistle) (2:13)
16. Happy Jack (2:09)
17. See My Way (Daltrey) (1:50)
18. Pictures of Lily (2:34)
19. A Quick One, While He's Away (7:01)
20. Substitute (Version 2) (2:12)
21. The Seeker (3:04)
22. I'm Free (2:24)
23. Shakin' All Over / Spoonful (Johnny Kidd, Willie Dixon) (3:41)
24. Relay (4:56)
25. Long Live Rock (3:52)
26. Boris the Spider (BBC Radio 1 jingle) (Entwistle) (0:10)

Total time 71:07

- John Entwistle / bass
- Keith Moon / drums

Recorded in 1965 - 1973

CD MCA B00004D3DH (2000)

Due to publishing restrictions, the American version dropped "Man with the Money" and edited out the few lines from "Spoonful" contained in "Shakin' All Over"

Thanks to Eetu Pellonpää for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

THE WHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WHO BBC Sessions Music

WHO'S THAT CHICK - Who's That Chick - 12" US $19.19 Buy It Now 31m 33s
ELTON JOHN-Nikita/The Man Who Never Died UK 7" EX Cond US $2.48 Buy It Now 32m 54s
Monotones - Who Wrote The Book Of Love CD US $15.78 Buy It Now 35m 31s
Urban Tribe - Who Is The Enemy? CD US $18.84 Buy It Now 35m 39s
Who - Greatest Hits & More CD US $22.16 Buy It Now 35m 42s
Classic Albums: Prodigal Sista/Who I Am US $11.78 Buy It Now 40m 6s
Rollo Tomasi-He Who Holds You CD NEW US $11.82 Buy It Now 45m 6s
BENNETT,TONY-WHO CAN I TURN TO CD NEW US $9.28 Buy It Now 45m 33s
Who Am I - Addictive Hip Hop Muzick - CD Album 1991 US $19.94 Buy It Now 47m 11s
THE GIRL WHO CAME TO SUPPER - ORIGINAL BROADWAY CAST - GATEFOLD VINYL LP 1963 US $4.99 Buy It Now 53m 54s
THE GUESS WHO....AMERICAN WOMAN....RCA-45 US $3.99 Buy It Now 55m 33s
Who-wire & glass.cd US $8.31 Buy It Now 1h
Running Back Thru Canada by The Guess Who (CD, Oct-2004, Vik) US $7.68 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Doctor Who - Original Television Soundtrack - Series 4, , New Soundtrack US $15.80 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Plan B - Who Needs Actions When You Got Words LP Vinyl Record US $29.53 Buy It Now 1h 3m
The Guess Who " Share the Land" "Bus Rider" 45 record US $0.99 [0 bids]
Tommy the Who Double LP US $0.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE - SUPERB 'ALIEN' - 'MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH' MUG. VERY LIMITED STOCK US $8.29 Buy It Now 1h 13m
DEEP PURPLE. WHO DO WE THINK WE ARE. GATEFOLD. WARNER BROS. 1973. HARD ROCK US $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Stone Cold & Crazy "Who's your Head" CD ruff'n 'roll 1991 (buy 4--- GET 5 !!) US $14.00 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Bolt Thrower - Who Dares Wins (NEW CD) US $14.52 Buy It Now 1h 26m
KEITH MOON Two Sides Of The Moon +8 JAPAN MINI LP CD NM w/OBI WAS-1091THE WHO US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 26m
QUADROPHENIA POSTCARD, BADGES & STICKERS. The Who, Mod, Scooter, Vespa. US $5.82 Buy It Now 1h 28m
THE WHO TOMMY - DECCA DXSW 7205 W/ INSERT RECORD VG+ SLEEVE GD US $7.00 [0 bids]
THE WHO - MAGAZINE CUTTING (FULL PAGE PHOTO) (REF H1) US $7.48 Buy It Now 1h 30m
THE WHO - MAGAZINE CUTTING (FULL PAGE PHOTO) (REF H5) US $7.48 Buy It Now 1h 30m
THE GUESS WHO. ROCKIN'. GATEFOLD. LYRICS INSERT. RCA. LSP-4602. 1972. BLUES ROCK US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 31m
DIDO - GIRL WHO GOT AWAY - NEW CD US $3.65 Buy It Now 1h 32m
The Who - Tommy and Quadrophenia Live, Good DVD, Jennifer Saunders, Joanna Lumle US $9.58 Buy It Now 1h 40m
THE WHO - WHO'S NEXT 16 track CD *AUSTRALIAN SELLER, FAST POSTAGE* US $7.95 Buy It Now 1h 46m
The Man Who by Travis (UK)  HITS  Minty CD  New Case US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 52m
TOMMY BY THE WHO 1969 DECCA REC [1ST PRESSING CASSETTE] VG 73-2500 US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 52m
THE ROBERT CRAY BAND Who's Been Talkin' 1986 US $15.77 Buy It Now 1h 53m
The Who NEW 3 VINYL LP WHO'S NEXT Gatefold Sleeve *FREE UK POST Pete Townshend US $49.67 Buy It Now 1h 54m
More Music from the Motion Picture Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (CD, Oc US $1.95 [0 bids]
Clinton Gregory - Who Needs It / The Jukebox Has A 45 45 rpm NM US $2.00 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Guess Who - Best Of-Running Back Thru Canada [CD New] US $10.61 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Monorchid - Who Put Out The Fire (1998) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Journey-who's crying now.7"promo US $13.29 Buy It Now 2h
Carl Marshall - Love Who You Wanna Love [CD New] US $13.54 Buy It Now 2h 3m
The Cooper Temple Clause Who needs enemies? CD Single in Digipack US $8.29 Buy It Now 2h 3m
THE WHO PETE TOWNSHEND "CHICAGO 1971" 2CD Rare Japan Killing Floor Import US $54.99 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Who Cares a Lot: Greatest Hits by Faith No More (CD, Dec-1998, 2 Discs, Slash... US $12.99 [0 bids]
THE WHO SUBSTITUTE 12" EXCELLENT US $13.28 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Doctor Who - The Early Years - US $5.32 [2 bids]
DARRELL BANKS "I'M THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU" CROSSOVER MONSTER SOUND LISTEN! US $14.94 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Eurythmics - Who's That Girl? 12" US $10.39 Buy It Now 2h 16m
The Who Greatest Hits 1983 MCA Press, ULTRASONIC CLEANED, VG++ US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 19m
KRIS KRISTOFFERSON - 'Who's To Bless & Who's To Blame (1975 LP)'. US $8.23 Buy It Now 2h 19m
UB40 - Who You Fighting For - 13 Track SEALED US $4.80 [0 bids]
Ben Folds Five - Battle of Who Could Care Less (CD) Mint - Fast Postage US $4.97 Buy It Now 2h 20m
Sealed LP DAVID RUFFIN Who I Am MOTOWN FROM 75-GOLDEN THROAT BEGGING LEAD VOCALS US $36.00 Buy It Now 2h 23m
GROUPER - The Man Who Died In His Boat (reissue) - LP + sticker US $25.51 Buy It Now 2h 26m
WHO Quadrophenia Live In London 2x CD 2014 NEW & SEALED US $20.69 Buy It Now 2h 28m
WHO JAPAN OBI AUDIOPHILE UNPLAYED LIVE AT LEEDS US $79.99 Buy It Now 2h 35m
THE CHARLATANS UK - WHO WE TOUCH [THE CHARLATANS UK] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $7.96 Buy It Now 2h 35m
ODDS someone who's cool CD 4 track b/w eat my brain, wendy under the stars and s US $8.29 Buy It Now 2h 36m
MADONNA - WHO'S THAT GIRL 12" CARTOON PICTURE DISC + POP UP SLEEVE + POSTER US $81.43 Buy It Now 2h 44m
MADONNA - WHO'S THAT GIRL 12" CARTOON COLOUR DISC + POP UP SLEEVE + POSTER US $81.43 Buy It Now 2h 51m
Creative Source 45 "Who Is He And What Is He To You" ~ (Vocal / Inst) VG++ US $6.74 Buy It Now 2h 53m
THE VERY BEST OF THE WHO BETTER 1988 JAPAN CD OBI P30P US $45.99 Buy It Now 2h 54m
Rough Trade For Those Who Think Young 1st 1982 USA Press SEALED MINT US $24.00 Buy It Now 3h
The Who It's Hard 1982 TML Master 1st Press, CLEAN, Sounds Great! VG+ US $12.00 Buy It Now 3h
Madonna Who's That Girl Soundtrack CRC ARCHIVE MASTER, Ultrasonic Cleaned US $44.00 Buy It Now 3h
Hank Snow 45 Who Will Answer? / I Just Wanted To Know US $3.00 Buy It Now 3h 2m
Lightning Love Girls Who Look Like Me CD US $4.03 Buy It Now 3h 3m
Who I am by Alan Jackson CD Classic Country Rock Music US $1.99 Buy It Now 3h 5m
THE WHO Endless Wire Deluxe Edition JAPAN 2CD w/OBI UICP-9015/6 US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 9m
BON JOVI Who Says You Can't Go Home 7" PICTURE DISC US $16.54 Buy It Now 3h 12m
The Who - Genuine Real Mint US Dollar Note US $12.81 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Jelly Bean(12" Vinyl)Who Found Who-Chrysalis-JELX 1-UK-VG/Ex US $11.62 Buy It Now 3h 16m
Gene Pitney(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)The Girl Belongs To Yesterday/Who Needs It-Ex/VG+ US $4.97 Buy It Now 3h 16m
George Hamilton(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)I Know Where I'm Going/Who's Taking Yo-Ex/VG US $4.97 Buy It Now 3h 18m
Tom Jones(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)Without Love/A Man Who Knows Too Much-Decca--Ex/VG US $4.97 Buy It Now 3h 18m
Tom Jones(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)Without Love/A Man Who Knows Too Much-Decca--Ex/VG+ US $4.97 Buy It Now 3h 18m
TONY ORLANDO/DAWN WHO'S IN STRAWBERRY PATCH/SALLY 1973 US $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 18m
LP RABBIT Dark Saloon JOHN BUNDRICK (THE WHO/FREE/ROCKY HORROR) NEAR MINT US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Max Bygraves(7" Vinyl 2nd State)Jingle Bell Rock/Who Made The Morning-Dec-Ex/VG US $4.97 Buy It Now 3h 19m
The Nolans(7" Vinyl P/S)Who's Gonna Rock You-Epic-EPC 9325-UK-VG/VG US $6.63 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Angie Gold(7" Vinyl P/S)Who Am I Kidding-CBS-KRL A2323-UK-VG+/VG+ US $6.63 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Dollar(7" Vinyl)Who Were You With In The Moonlight-Carrere-CAR 110-UK-Ex/Ex US $8.29 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Tony Bennett(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)If I Ruled The World/Who Can I Turn To-CB-Ex/Ex US $4.97 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Aretha Franklin(7" Vinyl P/S)Who's Zoomin' Who-Arista-ARIST 633-UK-VG+/VG US $6.63 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Z.Z. Hill 45 "Open House At My House / Who You Been Givin' It To" US $5.24 Buy It Now 3h 21m
Who Needs Actions When You Got Words. 5051011497926 US $7.29 Buy It Now 3h 22m
Who You are - Cary Brothers New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $16.21 Buy It Now 3h 23m
Who Needs Actions When You Got Words. 5051011497926 US $4.87 Buy It Now 3h 23m
Dark Saloon Rabbit Original SEALED LP John Bundrick Rocky Horror Who Keyboardist US $27.99 Buy It Now 3h 26m
THE WHO WHO'S NEXT VINYL RECORD DECCA BLK LABEL US $10.99 [0 bids]
Fingerprintz "Who's Your Friend?" BLUE VINYL PS 7" EP US $11.18 Buy It Now 3h 38m
XTC I'M THE MAN WHO MURDERED LOVE CD Single NEW US $4.97 Buy It Now 3h 39m
JOURNEY WHO'S CRYING NOW 7" P/S UK US $8.31 Buy It Now 3h 43m
ROGER DALTREY(THE WHO) "GIVING IT ALL AWAY" 1973 U.K.TRACK 45 RPM US $5.99 [0 bids]
JOURNEY WHO'S CRYING NOW 7" P/S FROM GREATEST HITS UK US $8.31 Buy It Now 3h 45m
Jorge Jaramillo of Who Da Funk - Girlz Rock (CD) Nr Mint - Fast Postage - Rare US $9.95 Buy It Now 3h 47m
Quadrophenia by The Who (Stereo 2 X Vinyl LP Record Album, MCA, 1973) US $6.65 [1 bids]
1970s Vinyl LPs: 1974 Adam VIII Ltd Various Artists Heavy Hits Rare Edit The Who US $7.99 [0 bids]
WENDEL STUART i am who i am on stage LP 9 track signed on the rear of the sleeve US $19.28 Buy It Now 3h 50m
John McCormack on 78 rpm Victor 64424: Who Knows? US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m

More places to buy THE WHO music online Buy THE WHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WHO BBC Sessions ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(19%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(31%)

THE WHO BBC Sessions reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars This is a document of rock history, recorded for the Beeb. Like its counterparts from Deep Purple and Led Zep, this was released way after the actual recordings. In 2000. Most of the songs are gently rendered and are not really in-line with The Who's fame on stage. The version I have, features more songs than the ones listed on PA. Here they are.

The numbers were played between May 65 and January 1973. Lots of different shows were involved : Saturday Club for "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere", "Just You And Me, Darling", "Leaving Here". "Good Lovin" was recorded on June 15 for the Top Gear show. The last 65 session (Saturday Club) holds "My Generation", "The Good's Gone", "La La La Lies". The latter two not being real great I must say.

A little jump in time (March 66) for the next three number. "Substitute", "Man with Money" (a cover song from the Everly Brothers), "Dancing in the Street" which is another cover from Marvin Gaye (amongst others). No real big fuss about these (except "Substitute" of course). They were recorded for Saturday Club.

"Disguises" and "I'm A Boy" were taped at the BBC Playhouse Theater in September 66. Sound for the former is pretty bad while during the introduction of the latter, the speaker asked if there's a special meaning behind the latter. But the answer will be .... not at all even if lots of journalists were trying to find complex explanations for some Who songs like "Substitute" which had no meaning at all (dixit The Who).

Another jump in time (January 67) for the next four numbers again for Saturday Night. " Run Run Run", "Boris The Spider", "Happy Jack" and "See My Way". None belongs to my most estimated Who numbers. "Boris" is of course extremely psychedelic but has never been a fave of mine at all. At the end of the song, the speaker asked Pete about their reputation of smashing equipment on stage and if they knew the value of the instruments destroyed so far. Pete will say : about 6,000 £ ! Remember, we are in 1967 and The Who only had a short career behind them ! Jack is also better known but really too naïve to be interesting to me.

One of the most interesting sequence is the one recorded on the 10th of October for Top Gear, involving the extremely funny radio jingle of "My Generation" recorded to promote Radio One (Radio One is my favourite station), "Pictures Of Lilly" and "A Quick One (While He's Away)" their first mini-opera. Personally, I far much prefer their live version available on the Deluxe version of "Live At Leeds" which is really extraordinary.

We'll jump now seriously in time with the next recording taking place in April, 1970. It was broadcast in the Dave Lee Travis show. The fame of The Who after their Woodstock appearence and the release of Tommy is now enormous. Still, only one number from "Tommy" with "I'm Free" (a very positive song of course in a nice but gentle rendition). But why did they need to perform "Substitute" again ? "The Seeker" was their latest single at the moment, so it is quite logic to get it played while "Shakin' All Over" was a classic of their live performances at the time.

From the last session in January 73 (29th), we'll get "Relay" a great Who single that never appeared on an album (it was the year of Quadrophenia...). I am also biased with this song. I bought the single at the time of release and quite liked it. This live version, although over-extended at the end is rather good.

This album can not compete with some other ones recorded for the Beeb (Purple, Led Zep, Hendrix...). The performances of The Who here are far much too polished. They lack some craziness and wildness I guess. Therefore, I can only rate it with two stars. This is for die-hard fans only. The live reference for The Who still remains "Live At Leeds" (the double CD Deluxe edition).

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#130435) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 27, 2007

Post a review of THE WHO "BBC Sessions"