IT'S HARD

3. Cooks County (3:35)
4. It's Hard (3:47)
5. Dangerous (3:15)
6. Eminence Front (5:39)
7. I've Known No War (5:46)
8. One Life's Enough (2:22)
9. One At A Time (2:55)
10. Why Did I Fall For That (3:18)
11. A Man Is A Man (3:49)
12. Cry If You Want (4:35)

Bonus tracks on 1997 remaster
13. It's Hard (live) (4:56)
14. Eminence Front (live) (5:37)
15. Dangerous (live) (3:48)
16. Cry If You Want (live) (7:12)

Search THE WHO It's Hard lyrics

- Kenney Jones / drums
- Andy Fairweather-Low (guest) / additional guitar and vocals
- Tim Gorman (guest) / additional keyboards

Remastered by Polydor in 1997 with 4 bonus tracks

Thanks to nuncjusz for the addition

THE WHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WHO It's Hard Music

Live at LeedsLive at Leeds
Remastered · Extra tracks
Mca 1995
1977 James Bond 007 The Spy Who Loved Me LP OBI Japan UAR FML-80 EX/EX w/ Insert US $36.25 [0 bids]
30m 14s
CONNIE FRANCIS WHO'S SORRY NOW? ORIGINAL E3686 LP 1958 YELLOW LABEL US $33.00 [0 bids]
30m 36s
The Who Tommy original MCA 2 disc MCAD2-10005 DIDX 157, DIDX 158 DADC (!) US $19.99 [0 bids]
31m 43s
DON GIBSON: Give Myself A Party / Look Who's Blue (country vinyl 45) US $12.00 Buy It Now 33m 15s
Who I Am by Jessica Andrews (CD, Feb-2001, Dreamworks SKG) US $0.99 [0 bids]
34m 26s
BACKTRACK 5 WHO HENDRIX; the who and Jimi Hendrix TRACK vg+ US $27.33 Buy It Now 36m 24s
* WHO - Quadrophenia - 2 CD SET US $5.00 [0 bids]
36m 53s
THE WHO WHO ARE YOU SUPER DISK SD 16610 LP MINT FACTORY SEALED LP US $40.00 [1 bids]
36m 58s
MAINSTAY - Become Who You Are - Christian Music CCM - Pop Rock CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 38m 38s
78RPM Broadway 1092 Broadway Revelers, Here I Am Broken, Hollywood Dance, Who V- US $13.95 Buy It Now 39m 7s
SMILEZ & SOUTHSTAR who wants this 12" RECORD PROMO US $8.75 Buy It Now 39m 45s
STAGE IV who do you think you are 12" RECORD PROMO 1989 US $9.99 Buy It Now 39m 46s
(DQ730) Tell Me Who To Be, Cosmo Jarvis - 2012 DJ CD US $5.07 Buy It Now 40m 23s
Tommy The Who / London Symphony Orchestra SEALED 2 LPs US $39.99 [0 bids]
46m 9s
The Man Who Lives for Love by Spencer Dickinson (CD, Aug-2006, Yep Roc) US $2.00 [0 bids]
48m 26s
The Who Who Are You 1978 MCA Records Red Vinyl MCA-3050 US $32.57 Buy It Now 51m 10s
The Who Who are you/had enough 7" vinyl MCA Records original outer sleeve US $3.99 Buy It Now 51m 17s
ROUGH TRADE - FOR THOSE WHO THINK YOUNG - SEALED LP RECORD US $4.25 [0 bids]
51m 59s
NEW! SEALED MADONNA WHO'S THAT GIRL 12" CARTOON PICTURE DISC POSTER+ POP UP US $74.95 [0 bids]
52m 31s
AC/DC Who Made Who cassette 1986 Albert productions US $4.99 Buy It Now 53m 50s
TODD SHARP - WHO AM I (MCA 5579) US 1986 "PROMOTION ONLY" LP WITH STAMPED COVER US $10.17 Buy It Now 57m 23s
Vintage THE GUESS WHO ROCKIN' RCA 1972 Album 8 Track Tape! LOOK! US $9.99 [0 bids]
57m 55s
The Guess Who Canned Wheat RCA LP US $9.99 Buy It Now 57m 56s
Ray Miller Black & White Boys COLUMBIA A3611 Stumbling/ Who Tied the Can--- US $5.99 Buy It Now 58m 10s
ANDY F who's to kill 12" RECORD US $9.99 Buy It Now 59m 12s
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me - Music from the Motion Picture US $4.98 Buy It Now 1h
The Who - Music Must Change / Noriaa Records CD - Silver CD- New US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h
Who's a Terrorist Now US $8.01 Buy It Now 1h
CRAIG BRATLEY deus ex machina THE MAN WHO MISTOOK HIS + 12" RECORD US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
SEMI DETACHED who da f 12" RECORD BREAKBEAT DJ BREAKS US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
PETE TOWSHEND EMPTY GLASS SOLO VINYL LP THE WHO WITH INNER SLEEVE ATCO US $7.50 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Ben Folds Five : Battle Of Who Could Care Less CD US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Deep Purple Who Do We Think We Are 1973 Record Green Label17) W/Song Sheet!! US $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
JUDY COLLINS -BOTH SIDES NEW/WHO KNOWS WHERE THE TIME GOES - 45 RPM - 1968 US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Who I Am by Alan Jackson (CD, Jun-1994) MINT US $3.20 Buy It Now 1h 8m
E Double A.P.M.C Who I Am CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Ben Folds Five : Battle of Who Could Care Less [CD 2] [CD 2] (1997) US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Unknown Artist Who Let the Dogs out CD US $4.49 Buy It Now 1h 10m
THE WHO Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B 4 CD Box Set MCA 11020 US $23.50 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Creative Source 7" Who Is He Sussex 45 Funk Soul Hear it US $8.64 Buy It Now 1h 13m
GUESS WHO Japan 1979 Promo NM 7"45 C'MON LITTLE MAMA US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m
The Who Tommy 1973 1973 USA 2LP Rolling Stones Kinks Beatles US $3.00 [0 bids]
DEAN MARTIN I'm The One Who Loves You 1965 VG+ stereo US $7.99 [0 bids]
10 Great Songs: Who Let the Dogs Out * by Baha Men (CD, Sep-2010, EMI Music D... US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
CREATIVE SOURCE: Who Is He, And What Is He To You / Instro 45 Soul US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 15m
MICHAEL JACKSON Who Is It /Rock With You JAPAN 3" CD SINGLE ESDA 7105 UNSNAPPED US $89.99 Buy It Now 1h 16m
MARY WELLS - ONE WHO REALLY LOVES YOU NEW CD US $12.49 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Who - Endless Wire 2 CD AND DVD Best Buy Exclusive - 3 DISCS Ebay Is Wrong US $11.89 Buy It Now 1h 16m
RITA MARLEY - WHO FEELS IT KNOWS IT NEW CD US $24.48 Buy It Now 1h 17m
THE WHO "NM DISC" Who's Better, Who's Best VAL-3863 LD AC2469 US $14.99 [0 bids]
WHO-DOGS-UK TRACK 604023. VG+. 1st issue. Listen US $33.95 Buy It Now 1h 17m
ALFIE DAVISON 'Who Is Gonna Love Me' disco soul DJ 45 '77 unplayed mint! mono/st US $6.98 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Mr. T Experience : And the Women Who Love Them CD (2002) US $4.90 Buy It Now 1h 19m
V.A. / Beat - Club British Invasion 1 SM048-3222 THE WHO OBI LD AC7162 US $14.99 [0 bids]
Guess Who "The Greatest of the Guess Who" 1975 vinyl US $6.99 [0 bids]
THE WHO 7" PS Japan THE RELAY r6944 US $40.00 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Quick One (Happy Jack) [Bonus Tracks] [Remaster] by The Who (CD) FREE SHIPPING US $13.95 Buy It Now 1h 23m
GEORGE THOROGOOD & THE DESTROYERS Who Do You Love? (Live) M- 45 RPM US $2.24 [2 bids]
MADONNA Who's That Girl Live in Japan 45P6-9017 LD AC3436 US $9.99 [0 bids]
JIMI HENDRIX SANTANA THE WHO Woodstock NJL-11762 OBI 2LD AC3439 US $9.99 [0 bids]
JIMI HENDRIX SANTANA THE WHO "NM DISC" Woodstock NJL-11762 OBI 2LD AC3426 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Vintage 1973 The Guess Who #10 Record Album Factory Sealed US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h 26m
45 RECORD RITA COOLIDGE: WHO'S TO BLESS & WHO'S TO BLAME B/W HIGHER AND HIGHER US $1.00 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Miracles The Tears Of A Clown / Who's Gonna Take The Blame 45 RPM Vinyl US $6.29 Buy It Now 1h 27m
THE WHO JIMI HENDRIX SANTANA "NM DISC" Woodstock NJL-11762 2LD AC4313 US $9.99 [0 bids]
BOBBY BLAND - WHO WILL THE NEXT FOOL BE / BLUE MOON - DUKE 1ST PRESS EXCELLENT - US $13.50 Buy It Now 1h 31m
FRANKIE VALLI & The FOUR SEASONS Original #5 HIT 45!-"Who Loves You" US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 34m
THE NEW SEEKERS: TIME LIMIT, PINBALL WIZARD SEE ME FEEL ME (WHO COVER) MV 10709 US $3.36 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Who Is Jill Scott?: Words and Sounds, Vol. 1 by Jill Scott (CD, Jul-2009, B12 US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 35m
EDWIN STARR "WAR" / "HE WHO PICKS A ROSE" 1970 GORDY VG+ HEAR!! US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Who Feels It Knows It by Rita Marley (CD, Dec-1987, Shanachie Records) US $12.41 Buy It Now 1h 36m
JARS OF CLAY-Who We Are Instead-RELIGOUS-Christian-WORSHIP-Pop-ROCK-Alternative US $7.49 Buy It Now 1h 37m
The Who Who's Better, Who's Best CD - Nice! US $4.95 Buy It Now 1h 39m
Left for Live by John Entwistle (CD, Jul-1999, J-Bird Records) The Who US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 44m
The Best of The Guess Who - LP US $1.50 Buy It Now 1h 45m
THE WHO From Lifehouse To Leeds Scorpio SILVER CD NOT TMOQ TAKRL US $19.99 [0 bids]
The Who Maximum BBC / 28 tracks / silver CD / NOT TMOQ TAKRL US $19.99 [0 bids]
Who : Endless Wire CD (2006) US $4.34 Buy It Now 1h 48m
MADONNA Who's That Girl Madonna Live in Japan 08WL-35 LD AB3479 US $7.99 [1 bids]
Doctor Who:series (ost) - Various Artists New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $20.16 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Guy Mitchell 45 "My Truly, Truly Fair / Who Knows Love" US $6.99 [0 bids]
THE WHO - WHO ARE YOU - VINYL LP ALBUM RECORD MCA-3050 US $4.99 [0 bids]
THE WHO - FACE DANCES - VINYL LP ALBUM RECORD HS 3516 VG+ US $4.99 [0 bids]
The Studio Albums by The Who (Vinyl, Nov-2012, 14 Discs, Universal) US $299.95 [0 bids]
Riva Who Do You Love Now Dbl 12" Vinyl Single US $11.88 Buy It Now 1h 54m
THE WHO - MEATY BEATY BIG AND BOUNCY - VINYL LP ALBUM RECORD MCA-37001 VG+ US $8.24 [7 bids]
WHO SINGLES KIDS ARE ALRIGHT JAPAN EMPTY PROMO STORAGE BOX FOR MINI LP CD NEW US $119.99 Buy It Now 1h 54m
ERNEST TUBB LORETTA LYNN Somewhere Between / Who's Gonna Take DECCA 32496 45 US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 56m
THE WHO "NM DISC" Who's Better, Who's Best VAL-3863 LD V2790 US $6.00 [2 bids]
THE WHO - LIVE AT LEEDS - VINYL LP ALBUM RECORD VG+ US $0.99 [0 bids]
MADONNA WHO'S THAT GIRL 1987 45 RPM SIRE 28341-7 US $3.98 Buy It Now 1h 58m
MADONNA Who's That Girl Madonna Live in Japan 45P6-9017 OBI LD V2818 US $5.24 [2 bids]
Dan Israel, Dan Who? Audio CD US $5.91 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Off The Record with Mary Turner LP Radio Show The Who, John Cougar, Steel Breeze US $49.99 [0 bids]
2h
45 RPM Who's Holding Donna Now Be My Lady Sleve US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Jill Scott Who Is Jill Scott? (CD-2009), Look!! US $0.99 [0 bids]
DeBARGE RHYTHM OF THE NIGHT & WHO'S HOLDING DONNA NOW MOTOWN 45 1985 US $6.00 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Sapphires, Who Do You Love Audio CD US $10.28 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Jay-Z - Who You Wit (4 versions) USA PROMO CD SINGLE from "Sprung" Soundtrack US $18.99 [0 bids]
CORNELL BLAKELY - WHO KNOWS 7" ORIGINAL US Berry Gordy US $60.00 Buy It Now 2h 10m

More places to buy THE WHO music online Buy THE WHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WHO It's Hard ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(3%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(16%)

THE WHO It's Hard reviews

Review by fuxi
2 stars Opinions are strongly divided on IT'S HARD, but in my opinion it's far preferable to its immediate predecessor, the indifferent FACE DANCES. Back in the early 1980s the Who were my favourite band. When FACE DANCES came out, it was obvious to all and sundry that Pete Townshend was saving his best songs for his solo albums. IT'S HARD came as a relief. It seemed as if the Who had been telling themselves: 'We're going to show the world we can still rock.' It's true that about half of the tunes on the album sound hopelessly boring, but let's not forget the other half!

"Athena" is an utterly charming opener, similar in spirit to "You Better You Bet" - the Who were obviously hoping for another minor radio hit. Two of John Entwistle's hard-rocking songs are captivating: one with rather flat lyrics ("Dangerous") and one with deeply poignant ones ("It's your Turn"). Townshend's ballad "One Life's Enough" sounds moving, but the highlight of IT'S HARD must be its energetic closer, at the end of which Townshend really lets rip on electric guitar, something he never even tried on FACE DANCES or WHO ARE YOU. I have always found it a magical moment. I'm surprised few other Who fans seem captivated by it - but I have a hunch they simply never made it to the end of the album.

Rating: IT'S HARD as a whole only merits two stars, but the tracks described above (as well as "Eminence Front", perhaps) firmly deserve three.

Send comments to fuxi (BETA) | Report this review (#130144) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars So, here we go for the last Who studio album...for over twenty years and the surprising "Endless Wire" (2006). What can you expect from this one ?

Some good rocking songs, trying to remind us from the good old days, like "It's Your Turn" and its "Substitute" mood. The title track, "It's Hard" is a very good song as well. Well in the tradition of the band : great rhythm, solid vocals and a pleasant melody. Do we need more ?

At this time of their career, while some other giants have completely change from musical direction, it is pleasant to hear that not all bands have sold their souls during those difficult eighties times (I won't refer to any bands, but I 'm sure you all know whom I am talking about).

The who remained loyal to their roots and only for tis reason, they should be regarded as a very distinct rock band. OK, "Eminence Front" has some disco / funky flavour, but its hypnotic riff is captivating though.

No real highlights on this album (but this has been more or less the case on their last ones), but no blunder either. A song like "I've Known No War" could have been written during the Who's Next sessions. You couldn't tell. Because most of The Who music is timeless (from "Tommy" onwards). Anyway it is one of my fave on this album. Very strong and convincing vocals from Roger.

The very subtle "One Lifes Enough" also indicates that Townsend is a very ecclectic songwritter. The croony style of "Why Did I Fall For That" reminds me of some Roxy Music songs. Not too great, I should say (the song I mean, not Roxy). The ballads are a bit too invading on this album. "A Man Is A Man" is not really what I'd expect form The Who. On the contrary, the closing number "Cry If You Want" is a great rock and violent number. Precisely the kind of track that makes you love The Who. It would have been great to hear what Keith would have achieved on the drums in this song. But we'll never know of course.

Four live numbers from the album can be found on the remastered edition. This is of course how The Who sounds better and they all bring a plus to the original album.

What will be the future for The Who ? Well, lots of compilation albums, some punctual reunions, a drama (the death of John Entwistle), some great tours and finally a new studio album much, much later than this one which I would rate with three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#130366) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars Well could The Who have done another stinker like the previous Face Dances? Most likely not, but remember that we are in the early 80's and the music scene stunk badly and was invaded by new bands armed with then-modern digital synths that allowed anyone to "write" music without actually knowing how to play it, and "old-timers" groups were having a difficult time either surviving (many didn't) or adapting (Eehhhmmm!!!... like Genesis). So still in tow is Kenny Jones and his impossible task of filling Moon The Loon's shoes, The Who decided to call it a day after the release of this album and a farewell tour! Sporting a rather modern picture on the cover, one could fear the worst.

And indeed, their last statement was not exactly their better one, but neither was it their worst: it easily surpassed Face Dances! Not very hard to achieve, but one of the main point is that the production of this album is much better than the flat-faced previous "effort". Songwriting-wise, the album is again in great part unusually (historically) supplied by Entwistle, but in here, his worst tracks easily surpasses anything from FD. Somehow Jones' drumming is a bit more adapted to the rest of the group, but the group had also softened by now! Pulled by two singles, the correct title track and the very good Eminence Front (although not coming to the waist height of Who Are You?), the album goes by rather smoothly and there are few cringey moments. Another good moment is I've Known No War, which like Eminence Front share the honour of being the longest tracks on the album.

But retrospectively, even if this album has its moments, it was clear the band had lost its impetus and had missed its exit! They might have followed Zep's example! I can't really say this album should be avoided, because I still have some personal feelings of this being a great group's prepared farewell album, but it was certainly not Cream's Goodbye or The Beatles' Let It Be!

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#131027) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars Actually, nothing is truly stands out from this "It's Hard" album by The Who. But, if you have get used to the music, you still like this album, I think. From the opening track "Athena" which was pseudo-named for Theresea Russell, I still can grab a great sense of the Who sound and style. Not so interesting in terms of composition but the more I enjoy it, I like the music. At least, I like the Daltrey singing. "It's Your Turn" also bring significant colors of the band even though Keith Moon (who died) had been replaced, the drumming still sound similar. "Cooks Country" uses keyboard in the music.

The title track "It's Hard" starts something bluesy with nice guitar work followed with a straight forward pop rock style. "Eminence Front" has an interesting opening in ambient mode followed by stunning guitar solo. It's unusual that The Who starts the music with long intro. "I've Known No War" flows in similar vein like the previous one even though this one has better melody and energetic singing. "One Life's Enough" is a nice acoustic setup using piano, string section and mellow Daltrey's singing. "One at A Time" has an excellent drumming work right after the brass section. Townsend's guitar work during the song is also excellent.

One thing I like about this album is the live version as bonus tracks where on "It's Hard" Daltrey plays guitar. The song actually reminds me to Dutch's Golden Earring. The rest three tracks (bonus) : "Eminence Front (live)" (5:37), "Dangerous (live)" (3:48) and "Cry If You Want (live)" (7:12) are also excellent. I like "Eminence Front" in this live version.

Overall, this is a good album by The Who, even though not the best album from the band.

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#180160) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Review by Chicapah
3 stars The Who's last album for a very long time to come has all the earmarks of one assembled only to complete the terms of the contract with their label and many critics have dismissed it as a throwaway. However, I refuse to believe that Pete, Roger and John had such little respect for their amazing legacy that they would carelessly soil it by not giving it the old college try. The truth is that this is all they had left in the tank after 18 years of giving every ounce of their souls to the group and the Who's NASCAR race was over. The lyrics betray a bitter and jaded viewpoint of what rock & roll was turning into just as the MTV virus was spreading like swine flu through the industry unabated. I wish they would have gone out like the Beatles did with Abbey Road but it is what it is.

They don't do themselves any favors by opening with their most insipid single ever, the cream puff "Athena." First of all, it's a fantasy crush about here-today-gone-tomorrow movie actress Teresa Russell and secondly the repeated line of "she's just a girl - she's a bomb" solidifies this tune's position as the band's all-time bottom feeder. Skip it. John Entwistle's contributions are some of the highlights of the album, starting with "It's Your Turn." It has a big, cascading opening to take your mind off the previous cow patty and it has some heft to it. Kenney Jones' drumming is forceful and Pete Townshend's taut guitar lines lend a palpable tension. John's words offer a warning for those who envy him to be careful of what they wish for. "There's a stranger inside me somewhere/that shadow behind me don't even look like me/an echoed apology/he's a wolf in sheep disguise/I wake up in places I don't even recognize/pretender in paradise."

The most disconcerting trait about this record is that often they sound like trend followers instead of trend setters. The "New Wave" genre that was all the rage in the late 70s had just about petered out but its influence is substantial on "Cooks County" and The Who don't wear that cheap suit well at all. There's a pretentious, minimalist undertow lurking just beneath the surface and it comes off more like something The Knack would've done than the titans of arena rock. Pete tries to say something profound in his lyrics about the woeful suffering, hunger and loneliness rampant in the world but he gives away his true feelings with the line "this song is so long/it ends up where it begins." The album's namesake tune has a certain Elvis Costello & The Attractions slant to it but it's still a step upward. Singer Roger Daltrey's use of his lower register on the initial verses adds a mean edge to the number and Townshend's weary statement that "anyone can do anything/if they hold the right card/so I'm thinking about my life now/I'm thinking very hard/deal me another hand, Lord/this one's very hard." is very revealing but, taken as a whole, the tune still falls below their high standards.

Entwistle's "Dangerous" is one of his better compositions and I'm willing to bet it was inspired by Genesis' "Duke" LP. It has a grandiose intro that's repeated a few times, a pulsing guitar/bass platform and a convincing vocal performance by Roger. One gets a sense of foreboding from John's introspective lyrics when Daltrey belts "fences, we put up defenses/then we come to our senses/it may keep us out/but it keeps us in/and that makes us dangerous/we're all dangerous to ourselves." By far the most familiar cut (and with reason aplenty) is "Eminence Front" and I especially love the programmed synthesizer that bounces through the song. They allow the infectious groove to simmer patiently like a good Louisiana gumbo long before Pete begins to sing while his guitar jabs and stabs like an ice pick. Entwistle holds back until after the first verse but, to cop a dated phrase, just listen to what the man is puttin' down when he barges in. It's greatness. Pete captures the phoniness of the coke-crazed in-crowd of the day with words such as "the snow packs/as the skier tracks/and people forget/forget they're hiding/behind an eminence front." I'm pretty sure he was including himself in that gang, too.

The haunting "I've Known No War" features a chiming piano chord banging over slap-happy drums and my thoughts are "what would Moonie have done with this?" It makes me miss his unmistakable stamp even more. The most unusual part of the song comes in the middle when they let the wide-open spaces rule for 13 unembellished bars before a very subtle but excellent symphonic score creeps in like a fog bank. Methinks they kept the orchestra too far down in the mix but maybe that's just my symphonic prog monster demanding MORE. (Heel, Fido!) Penned amidst the constant atomic threat of the Cold War, Townshend reminisces about the brutal, hand-to-hand combat tactics employed by armies in previous generations and, tongue firmly in cheek, presents the bright side. "I'll never know war/and if I ever know it/the glimpse will be short/fireball in the sky/no front line battle cries can be heard/as the button is pushed by a soul that's been bought." Unfortunately he was wrong as enemies have just gotten slicker about how to kill/maim each other without resorting to nuclear annihilation. The calming "One Life's Enough" follows and it's a short but pleasant piece that starts in an operatic motif before evolving into a blues ballad. The lyrics are a sighing glance back at youthful romance as Townshend's skill on piano shines through.

The next three tunes are a disappointment. John's one-man attempt at being the USC marching band is admirable during the onset of "One at a Time" but it gets to be way too frantic down the road. The synths on the bridge almost rescue the song but once they're gone it returns to its jarring, brittle ways. It's The Boss meets the Eagles on "Why Did I Fall For That?" but, despite some decent lyrics about naively believing political promises ("we're impotent and neutered like whining cats/we've found the piper but we've lost the rats"), Kenney's sloppy drum track in particular drags it down and they didn't bother to fix it. "A Man is a Man" is a gallant try at creating another memorable Who rock ballad but it sounds forced (even the stilted words) and, once again, much of the lack of drama can be blamed on Jones' loose stick work. At least they go out with a roar. The military snare approach on "Cry If You Want" actually works quite well. It marches underneath the band as they punch out this angry spit-wad of a tune with a vengeance. Here Townshend sums up his crushed ideals with "now you know your leaders lied/does it stop you acting snide?/or are you still a boy that cried/tears now surely long since dried/cry if you want." The capper comes when Pete takes out his frustration and pent up fury on his defenseless guitar as he blazes through the distorted power chords to the very end.

Despite its bothersome unevenness, "It's Hard" has its moments and is far from unlistenable but the trio of remaining survivors that had been there from the beginning surely knew this was their last rodeo together and it shows up in the uncharacteristic frayed edges. As the gruesome cover art conveys, the pinball wizard had been replaced with the Space Duel toggle-stick punk and it was time for them to journey on as individuals. 2.5 stars averaged upward for the captivating and still relevant "Eminence Front."

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#204052) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 22, 2009

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'It's Hard' - The Who (5/10)

The last album from The Who for a quarter of a century, it was clear by this point that the band was on their hind legs. After the tragic (yet foreseeable) demise of their drummer, a poor album and sure signs that the music industry was leaving them behind, The Who were wearing very thin, and 'It's Hard' does reflect this. Although it is not technically their swan song anymore, 'It's Hard' does end the saga of The Who on a fairly dull note. Although it is a step up from 'Face Dances', 'It's Hard' is nothing compared to their earlier, more lively days, although it does stand as a fairly good rock album for those who are looking for another dose of The Who.

To describe 'It's Hard' in the simplest terms, it may not rock, but at least it rocks harder than the album before it. 'Face Dances' was something of a pop album; absolving their grit for the sake of soft sounding tracks that might give them some more appeal to the ever more commercial realm of the '80s. 'It's Hard' still features some fairly lacking songwriting. Although the songs here are decent and sometimes even great, it is clear that the band members no longer had their hearts set on making great music with the band, instead saving their best material for solo material, as was the case for guitarist Pete Townshend. However, there are a couple of tracks here that stand out. The first of these is 'Athena', which is an upbeat rocker with a chorus that almost sounds like a precursor to Michael Jackson, or am I just dreaming? In any case, the real highlight here is 'Eminence Front', which is the album's claim to fame. A song that builds with a psychedelic electronic texture and some nice guitar grooves, the song is a really great Townshend-driven track.

The rest of the tracks here lack a memorable hook or solo for the most part, even after several listens to the album. The drums of Kenney Jones try to emulate Moon's work, and for the most part, it is a nice tribute, although there is still not the same ferocity that Moon commanded. 'It's Hard' is a decent album for fans of The Who that want a little more, and there are even a couple of songs here that are really great. As a whole though, this album is something of a disappointment coming from a band that was once creating some of the best music that rock had to offer.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#475663) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 04, 2011

2 stars Well, it at least is better than FACE DANCES. But, not by much. Along with many people, I believe that The Who lost their heart and soul with the passing of Keith Moon. This is pretty basic hard rock and AOR middle-of-the-road rock with little of interest. "It's Hard" was not bad, "Athena" was o ... (read more)

Report this review (#628341) | Posted by mohaveman | Tuesday, February 07, 2012 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Who ? The last of a long line of The Who album before the band made a comeback a quarter of a century later. What we get here is middle of the road rock which soaks up all sounds and whims of that era. A bit funk, a bit pop, a bit disco, a lot of AOR and a lot of what The Who were at their best. ... (read more)

Report this review (#570832) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Saturday, November 19, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE WHO "It's Hard"