IT'S HARD

3. Cooks County (3:35)
4. It's Hard (3:47)
5. Dangerous (3:15)
6. Eminence Front (5:39)
7. I've Known No War (5:46)
8. One Life's Enough (2:22)
9. One At A Time (2:55)
10. Why Did I Fall For That (3:18)
11. A Man Is A Man (3:49)
12. Cry If You Want (4:35)

Bonus tracks on 1997 remaster
13. It's Hard (live) (4:56)
14. Eminence Front (live) (5:37)
15. Dangerous (live) (3:48)
16. Cry If You Want (live) (7:12)

Search THE WHO It's Hard lyrics

- Kenney Jones / drums
- Andy Fairweather-Low (guest) / additional guitar and vocals
- Tim Gorman (guest) / additional keyboards

Remastered by Polydor in 1997 with 4 bonus tracks

Thanks to nuncjusz for the addition

THE WHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WHO It's Hard Music

Live at LeedsLive at Leeds
Remastered · Extra tracks
Mca 1995
CHAOS CONSPIRACY - WHO THE FUCK IS ELVIS? - ODR002 US $19.09 Buy It Now 29m 46s
Eurythmics Who's That Girl in San Francisco in May 1984 US $19.99 Buy It Now 30m 17s
Eurythmics - Who's That Girl (12208) RCA (1983) DA 3 - 7" Vinyl 45rpm US $5.44 Buy It Now 32m 38s
THE WHO "WHO`S NEXT" LP 1971 ROCK Album CLEAN Vinyl US $14.99 Buy It Now 33m 6s
MEN AT WORK who can it be now 7" b/w anyone for tennis (epca2392) pic sleeve uk US $8.10 Buy It Now 33m 34s
Adam Faith - Who Am I (12449) Parlophone (1961) R 4735 - 7" Vinyl 45rpm US $6.02 Buy It Now 34m 7s
Dollar - Who Were You With In The Moonlight (12601) Carrere (1979) CAR 110 - 7" US $6.02 Buy It Now 34m 7s
Erasure - Who Needs Love (Like That) (12192) Mute (1992) MUTE 150 - 7" Vinyl 45 US $6.02 Buy It Now 34m 7s
SOUL.IMPERIALS.WHO'S GONNA LOVE ME / CAN YOU IMAGINE.UK ORIG 7".EX US $4.46 Buy It Now 35m 24s
Who's Afraid of the Art of Noise? by The Art of Noise (CD, Jun-1990, Island... US $1.87 Buy It Now 35m 34s
El DeBarge - Who's Johnny ("Short Circuit" Theme) (13013) Gordy (1986) ELD1 - 7" US $5.97 Buy It Now 36m 52s
THE WHO THEY ARE ALRIGHT 2 cd set Feat Eddie Vedder Paul Weller Bryan Adams US $49.99 Buy It Now 37m 18s
Framing Hanley - The Sum Of Who We Are (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $27.58 Buy It Now 38m 12s
Dollar - Who Were You With In The Moonlight (11794) Carrere (1979) CAR 110 - 7" US $5.41 Buy It Now 38m 17s
THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT LAMINATED MINI POSTER_THE WHO_MODS US $4.04 Buy It Now 38m 41s
Classic R&B 45 Jessie Belvin "GUESS WHO" RCA 7469 US $9.99 [0 bids]
38m 42s
JESSIE J-WHO YOU ARE JAPAN PLATINUM EDITION-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK E75 US $26.50 Buy It Now 38m 59s
The Who - Squeeze Box (13245) Polydor (1975) 2121 275 - 7" Single EX US $5.97 Buy It Now 39m 25s
Wonder Stuff - Who Wants To Be The Disco King? 1989 7" Ex/Vg Polydor GONE6 US $6.48 Buy It Now 40m 58s
DOUG E FRESH KEEP- RISING TO THE TOP/ GUESS? WHO? US $14.99 Buy It Now 43m 48s
The Man Who Wasn't There - 2001 Original Soundtrack US $45.10 Buy It Now 46m 25s
WHO'S GOT THE PAIN? + CHEE CHEE-OO CHEE - The Gaylords, Mercury 70630, 78 RPM US $11.25 Buy It Now 47m 55s
DOORS Wishful Sinner /Who Scared You 45 ELEKTRA promo psych US $8.00 Buy It Now 48m 8s
CD "GREATEST HITS 1980-1994" Aretha Franklin/Freeway of Love/Who's Zoomin' Who/+ US $0.99 [0 bids]
48m 38s
COSMIC TRIP MACHINE THE WOMAN WHO TOOK 2LP COL ZONE SIX SERPENTINA SATELLITE US $55.99 Buy It Now 50m 38s
DC KICKS WHO'S LAUGHING NOW LP 1991 WITH INNER SLEEVE UK US $16.23 Buy It Now 54m 49s
CAMEO Cardiac Arrest / We All Know Who We Are NEW RARE FUNK SOUL CD SUPERBIRD US $13.78 Buy It Now 55m 56s
MY DILIGENCE WHO KILLED THE DRIVER PRIV PRESS QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE WOLFMOTHER US $21.99 Buy It Now 58m 54s
Who I Am by Alan Jackson (CD, Jun-1994, Arista) US $0.98 [0 bids]
59m 53s
MIKE STOREY BAND WHO ARE YOUR PLAYING TO LP 1975 UK US $19.48 Buy It Now 1h
HOUSEMARTINS PEOPLE WHO GRINNED THEMSELVES TO DEATH LP WITH INNER SLEEVE UK US $19.48 Buy It Now 1h
Who I Am. 050087155490 US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Korn, Korn III - Remember Who You Are Audio CD US $10.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
KC And The Sunshine Band - Who Do Ya (Love) - US LP Vinyl Record Album - TK607 US $10.55 Buy It Now 1h 4m
PETE TOWNSHEND - WHO CAME FIRST - IMPORT GT. BRITAIN - 1972 - STEREO US $18.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
MADONNA WHO'S THAT GIRL SIRE DANCE 12" US $5.00 [0 bids]
HANK THOMPSON - WHO LEFT THE DOOR TO HEAVEN OPEN/WHEN MY BLUE MOON TURNS TO GOLD US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Rogues and the Women who Love them Cleveland Opera's 2004-2005 Season s19 US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
GNARLS BARKELY;ST ELSEWHERE;cd; crazy,CEE LO GREEN;SMILEY FACES;WHO CARES US $1.61 [0 bids]
My Generation [Universal] by The Who (CD, Nov-2012, Universal UK) US $8.91 Buy It Now 1h 10m
FRANKIE LYMON 45~WHO CAN EXPLAIN/I PROMISE TO REMEMBER (GEE GG-1018) US $6.99 [0 bids]
CONNIE FRANCIS WHO'S HAPPY NOW LP 1978 UK US $19.48 Buy It Now 1h 11m
The Who - Then & Now 1964-2004 CD w/ Real Good Looking Boy / Old Red Wine US $7.14 Buy It Now 1h 11m
INTRUDERS (80'S GROUP) who do you love 12" 3 track b/w radio edit and instrument US $8.10 Buy It Now 1h 13m
MADONNA who's that girl 12" 2 track extended version b/w white heat (w8341t) pic US $8.60 Buy It Now 1h 13m
WHO MY GENERATION UK 1ST LP IN MONO MIX + BONUS TRACKS SHM CD Released in Japan US $19.99 [0 bids]
THE WHO-YOU BETTER YOU BET/THE QUIET ONE-RARE ORIGINAL USA PS SINGLE 45rpm 1981 US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Just Who I Am: Poets & Pirates by Kenny Chesney (CD, Sep-2007, RCA) US $6.00 [6 bids]
THE WHO - WON'T GET FOOLED AGAIN 7" (USA COPY) 71 VG US $3.23 [0 bids]
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses [Maxi Single] by U2 (CD, Nov-1992, Polydor) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Cecilia Big Band Coleman - Who Am I [CD New] US $19.34 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Spit on the Face of People Who Don't Wan - Beets New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free US $20.48 Buy It Now 1h 19m
The Who Tommy (Cassette, 1969, MCA) Columbia House US $3.99 [0 bids]
The Who Live at Leeds (Cassette, MCA, 1970) Columbia House US $5.99 [0 bids]
CUTTY RANKS...A WHO SAY ME DONE...DANCEHALL REGGAE CLASSIC MINTY 12" SINGLE US $12.97 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Who's Next by The Who (Cassette, Jul-1985, MCA (USA)) US $2.99 [0 bids]
THE WHO "You better you bet"- rare 7" ITALY PROMO - P/S - UNPLAYED US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
JUDY COLLINS -BOTH SIDES NEW/WHO KNOWS WHERE THE TIME GOES - 45 RPM - 1968 US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 26m
7" EP P/S 45 - THE SPY WHO LOVED ME - ROGER MOORE - JAMES BOND - 007 - BRAZIL US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 26m
CINDY LEE BERRYHILL WHO'S GONNA SAVE THE WORLD WHITE LABEL LP + PRESS REL. PHOTO US $32.39 Buy It Now 1h 27m
18 greatest COUNTRY GOSPEL by LORETTA LYNN who says God is dead NEW CD US $8.89 Buy It Now 1h 29m
PETE TOWNSHEND EMPTY GLASS LP IN SHRINK THE WHO US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Who Let the Dogs Out by Baha Men (CD, Jul-2000, Artemis Records) US $2.00 [0 bids]
GEORGE OLSEN & ORCHESTRA Secrets MERCURY 78-5222 Who VG++/NMINT- US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 30m
The who who's next LP mca-2023 Classic rock and roll US $7.00 [0 bids]
NOT FRAGILE WHO DARES WINS LP 1988 STILL SEALED USA US $35.72 Buy It Now 1h 31m
One Hit Wonder - Who The Hell Is One Hit - Japan CD+2BONUS US $8.95 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Various Artists,Neil Young,The Who,McCartney,Jerry Maguire,Soundtrack,Jerry MaGu US $1.01 Buy It Now 1h 32m
NOT FRAGILE WHO DARES WINS LP 1988 UK US $35.72 Buy It Now 1h 33m
EMILE FORD MAN WHO'S GOT THE LOT (SIGNED) LP SIGNED ON BACK COVER BY EMILE UK US $22.73 Buy It Now 1h 35m
The Who: Quadrophenia Hooded Parka Bathrobe / Dressing Gown - New US $73.06 Buy It Now 1h 37m
The Eleventh Hour and Who We are Instead by Jars of Clay CDs US $5.00 [0 bids]
LETTERMEN (US GROUP) all the grey haired men 7" b/w anyone who had a heart (2196 US $8.10 Buy It Now 1h 38m
POINTER SISTERS who do you love 7" b/w turned up too late (pl12406) pic sleeve d US $8.10 Buy It Now 1h 40m
TOURISTS blind among the flowers 7" b/w he who laughs last (go350) writing on ba US $8.10 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Kenny Rogers & The First Edition 45 Someone Who Cares US $0.01 [0 bids]
BEATLES & TONY SHERIDAN My Bonnie / Sweet Georgia Brown CREAM The Who SWEDEN EP US $16.37 [2 bids]
THE WHO-MEATY BEATY BIG AND BOUNCY 1971 MCA RECORDS LP MCA-37001 EXC. VG+ US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 44m
BRENDA & HERB-I WHO HAVE NOTHING~TK DISCO PROMO 12" US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 46m
7" Pict Disc THE WHO Athena - A Man Is A Man NM! WHOP6 UK EB681 US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Beenie Man Who Am I 12" Greensleeves Records 1998 *NM* US $24.34 Buy It Now 1h 48m
the who Squeeze Box single 1st press US $0.81 [0 bids]
Whitney Houston, I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me), Arista, RIST1 12" US $8.75 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Holiday - Who's That Girl - CD Import - NEW US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Mystery Jets - The Boy Who Ran Away - Limited Edition 2 x 7-inch Single - G/F US $3.23 [0 bids]
1984 RAY GOODMAN & BROWN All About Love Who's Gonna Make The First Move SEALED US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 50m
THE JAM 7" JUST WHO IS THE 5O'CLOCK HERO + THE GREAT DEPRESSION 1982 POLYDOR LTD US $4.87 Buy It Now 1h 50m
TUNE-YARDS-WHO KILL-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK BONUS TRACK F23 US $28.50 Buy It Now 1h 52m
the who Squeeze Box single 1st press US $0.81 [0 bids]
LUCAS SANTTANA-THE GOD WHO DEVASTATES ALSO CURES-JAPAN CD F04 US $27.50 Buy It Now 1h 55m
the who im a boy single reaction label US $1.61 [0 bids]
THE WHO-QUADROPHENIA THE DIRECTOR'S CUT-JAPAN 2 SHM-CD I50 zd US $42.99 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Women Who Swing Chicago by Various Artists (CD, Dec-1998, Big Chicago) US $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 57m
the who im a boy single reaction label US $1.61 [0 bids]
Heart(7" Vinyl P/S)Who Will You Run To-Capitol-CL 457-UK-Ex/Ex US $8.10 Buy It Now 2h
Hazell Dean(7" Vinyl P/S)Who's Leaving Who-EMI-EM 45-UK-Ex/Ex US $8.10 Buy It Now 2h
2h
The Who(Vinyl LP)Tommy Part Two-T Rack-2406 008-UK-VG/VG US $16.22 Buy It Now 2h
SLIM DUSTY - WHO'S RIDING OLD HARLEQUIN NOW? CD ~ 80's AUSTRALIAN COUNTRY *NEW* US $10.82 Buy It Now 2h

More places to buy THE WHO music online Buy THE WHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WHO It's Hard ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(3%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(17%)

THE WHO It's Hard reviews

Review by fuxi
2 stars Opinions are strongly divided on IT'S HARD, but in my opinion it's far preferable to its immediate predecessor, the indifferent FACE DANCES. Back in the early 1980s the Who were my favourite band. When FACE DANCES came out, it was obvious to all and sundry that Pete Townshend was saving his best songs for his solo albums. IT'S HARD came as a relief. It seemed as if the Who had been telling themselves: 'We're going to show the world we can still rock.' It's true that about half of the tunes on the album sound hopelessly boring, but let's not forget the other half!

"Athena" is an utterly charming opener, similar in spirit to "You Better You Bet" - the Who were obviously hoping for another minor radio hit. Two of John Entwistle's hard-rocking songs are captivating: one with rather flat lyrics ("Dangerous") and one with deeply poignant ones ("It's your Turn"). Townshend's ballad "One Life's Enough" sounds moving, but the highlight of IT'S HARD must be its energetic closer, at the end of which Townshend really lets rip on electric guitar, something he never even tried on FACE DANCES or WHO ARE YOU. I have always found it a magical moment. I'm surprised few other Who fans seem captivated by it - but I have a hunch they simply never made it to the end of the album.

Rating: IT'S HARD as a whole only merits two stars, but the tracks described above (as well as "Eminence Front", perhaps) firmly deserve three.

Send comments to fuxi (BETA) | Report this review (#130144) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars So, here we go for the last Who studio album...for over twenty years and the surprising "Endless Wire" (2006). What can you expect from this one ?

Some good rocking songs, trying to remind us from the good old days, like "It's Your Turn" and its "Substitute" mood. The title track, "It's Hard" is a very good song as well. Well in the tradition of the band : great rhythm, solid vocals and a pleasant melody. Do we need more ?

At this time of their career, while some other giants have completely change from musical direction, it is pleasant to hear that not all bands have sold their souls during those difficult eighties times (I won't refer to any bands, but I 'm sure you all know whom I am talking about).

The who remained loyal to their roots and only for tis reason, they should be regarded as a very distinct rock band. OK, "Eminence Front" has some disco / funky flavour, but its hypnotic riff is captivating though.

No real highlights on this album (but this has been more or less the case on their last ones), but no blunder either. A song like "I've Known No War" could have been written during the Who's Next sessions. You couldn't tell. Because most of The Who music is timeless (from "Tommy" onwards). Anyway it is one of my fave on this album. Very strong and convincing vocals from Roger.

The very subtle "One Lifes Enough" also indicates that Townsend is a very ecclectic songwritter. The croony style of "Why Did I Fall For That" reminds me of some Roxy Music songs. Not too great, I should say (the song I mean, not Roxy). The ballads are a bit too invading on this album. "A Man Is A Man" is not really what I'd expect form The Who. On the contrary, the closing number "Cry If You Want" is a great rock and violent number. Precisely the kind of track that makes you love The Who. It would have been great to hear what Keith would have achieved on the drums in this song. But we'll never know of course.

Four live numbers from the album can be found on the remastered edition. This is of course how The Who sounds better and they all bring a plus to the original album.

What will be the future for The Who ? Well, lots of compilation albums, some punctual reunions, a drama (the death of John Entwistle), some great tours and finally a new studio album much, much later than this one which I would rate with three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#130366) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars Well could The Who have done another stinker like the previous Face Dances? Most likely not, but remember that we are in the early 80's and the music scene stunk badly and was invaded by new bands armed with then-modern digital synths that allowed anyone to "write" music without actually knowing how to play it, and "old-timers" groups were having a difficult time either surviving (many didn't) or adapting (Eehhhmmm!!!... like Genesis). So still in tow is Kenny Jones and his impossible task of filling Moon The Loon's shoes, The Who decided to call it a day after the release of this album and a farewell tour! Sporting a rather modern picture on the cover, one could fear the worst.

And indeed, their last statement was not exactly their better one, but neither was it their worst: it easily surpassed Face Dances! Not very hard to achieve, but one of the main point is that the production of this album is much better than the flat-faced previous "effort". Songwriting-wise, the album is again in great part unusually (historically) supplied by Entwistle, but in here, his worst tracks easily surpasses anything from FD. Somehow Jones' drumming is a bit more adapted to the rest of the group, but the group had also softened by now! Pulled by two singles, the correct title track and the very good Eminence Front (although not coming to the waist height of Who Are You?), the album goes by rather smoothly and there are few cringey moments. Another good moment is I've Known No War, which like Eminence Front share the honour of being the longest tracks on the album.

But retrospectively, even if this album has its moments, it was clear the band had lost its impetus and had missed its exit! They might have followed Zep's example! I can't really say this album should be avoided, because I still have some personal feelings of this being a great group's prepared farewell album, but it was certainly not Cream's Goodbye or The Beatles' Let It Be!

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#131027) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars Actually, nothing is truly stands out from this "It's Hard" album by The Who. But, if you have get used to the music, you still like this album, I think. From the opening track "Athena" which was pseudo-named for Theresea Russell, I still can grab a great sense of the Who sound and style. Not so interesting in terms of composition but the more I enjoy it, I like the music. At least, I like the Daltrey singing. "It's Your Turn" also bring significant colors of the band even though Keith Moon (who died) had been replaced, the drumming still sound similar. "Cooks Country" uses keyboard in the music.

The title track "It's Hard" starts something bluesy with nice guitar work followed with a straight forward pop rock style. "Eminence Front" has an interesting opening in ambient mode followed by stunning guitar solo. It's unusual that The Who starts the music with long intro. "I've Known No War" flows in similar vein like the previous one even though this one has better melody and energetic singing. "One Life's Enough" is a nice acoustic setup using piano, string section and mellow Daltrey's singing. "One at A Time" has an excellent drumming work right after the brass section. Townsend's guitar work during the song is also excellent.

One thing I like about this album is the live version as bonus tracks where on "It's Hard" Daltrey plays guitar. The song actually reminds me to Dutch's Golden Earring. The rest three tracks (bonus) : "Eminence Front (live)" (5:37), "Dangerous (live)" (3:48) and "Cry If You Want (live)" (7:12) are also excellent. I like "Eminence Front" in this live version.

Overall, this is a good album by The Who, even though not the best album from the band.

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#180160) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Review by Chicapah
3 stars The Who's last album for a very long time to come has all the earmarks of one assembled only to complete the terms of the contract with their label and many critics have dismissed it as a throwaway. However, I refuse to believe that Pete, Roger and John had such little respect for their amazing legacy that they would carelessly soil it by not giving it the old college try. The truth is that this is all they had left in the tank after 18 years of giving every ounce of their souls to the group and the Who's NASCAR race was over. The lyrics betray a bitter and jaded viewpoint of what rock & roll was turning into just as the MTV virus was spreading like swine flu through the industry unabated. I wish they would have gone out like the Beatles did with Abbey Road but it is what it is.

They don't do themselves any favors by opening with their most insipid single ever, the cream puff "Athena." First of all, it's a fantasy crush about here-today-gone-tomorrow movie actress Teresa Russell and secondly the repeated line of "she's just a girl - she's a bomb" solidifies this tune's position as the band's all-time bottom feeder. Skip it. John Entwistle's contributions are some of the highlights of the album, starting with "It's Your Turn." It has a big, cascading opening to take your mind off the previous cow patty and it has some heft to it. Kenney Jones' drumming is forceful and Pete Townshend's taut guitar lines lend a palpable tension. John's words offer a warning for those who envy him to be careful of what they wish for. "There's a stranger inside me somewhere/that shadow behind me don't even look like me/an echoed apology/he's a wolf in sheep disguise/I wake up in places I don't even recognize/pretender in paradise."

The most disconcerting trait about this record is that often they sound like trend followers instead of trend setters. The "New Wave" genre that was all the rage in the late 70s had just about petered out but its influence is substantial on "Cooks County" and The Who don't wear that cheap suit well at all. There's a pretentious, minimalist undertow lurking just beneath the surface and it comes off more like something The Knack would've done than the titans of arena rock. Pete tries to say something profound in his lyrics about the woeful suffering, hunger and loneliness rampant in the world but he gives away his true feelings with the line "this song is so long/it ends up where it begins." The album's namesake tune has a certain Elvis Costello & The Attractions slant to it but it's still a step upward. Singer Roger Daltrey's use of his lower register on the initial verses adds a mean edge to the number and Townshend's weary statement that "anyone can do anything/if they hold the right card/so I'm thinking about my life now/I'm thinking very hard/deal me another hand, Lord/this one's very hard." is very revealing but, taken as a whole, the tune still falls below their high standards.

Entwistle's "Dangerous" is one of his better compositions and I'm willing to bet it was inspired by Genesis' "Duke" LP. It has a grandiose intro that's repeated a few times, a pulsing guitar/bass platform and a convincing vocal performance by Roger. One gets a sense of foreboding from John's introspective lyrics when Daltrey belts "fences, we put up defenses/then we come to our senses/it may keep us out/but it keeps us in/and that makes us dangerous/we're all dangerous to ourselves." By far the most familiar cut (and with reason aplenty) is "Eminence Front" and I especially love the programmed synthesizer that bounces through the song. They allow the infectious groove to simmer patiently like a good Louisiana gumbo long before Pete begins to sing while his guitar jabs and stabs like an ice pick. Entwistle holds back until after the first verse but, to cop a dated phrase, just listen to what the man is puttin' down when he barges in. It's greatness. Pete captures the phoniness of the coke-crazed in-crowd of the day with words such as "the snow packs/as the skier tracks/and people forget/forget they're hiding/behind an eminence front." I'm pretty sure he was including himself in that gang, too.

The haunting "I've Known No War" features a chiming piano chord banging over slap-happy drums and my thoughts are "what would Moonie have done with this?" It makes me miss his unmistakable stamp even more. The most unusual part of the song comes in the middle when they let the wide-open spaces rule for 13 unembellished bars before a very subtle but excellent symphonic score creeps in like a fog bank. Methinks they kept the orchestra too far down in the mix but maybe that's just my symphonic prog monster demanding MORE. (Heel, Fido!) Penned amidst the constant atomic threat of the Cold War, Townshend reminisces about the brutal, hand-to-hand combat tactics employed by armies in previous generations and, tongue firmly in cheek, presents the bright side. "I'll never know war/and if I ever know it/the glimpse will be short/fireball in the sky/no front line battle cries can be heard/as the button is pushed by a soul that's been bought." Unfortunately he was wrong as enemies have just gotten slicker about how to kill/maim each other without resorting to nuclear annihilation. The calming "One Life's Enough" follows and it's a short but pleasant piece that starts in an operatic motif before evolving into a blues ballad. The lyrics are a sighing glance back at youthful romance as Townshend's skill on piano shines through.

The next three tunes are a disappointment. John's one-man attempt at being the USC marching band is admirable during the onset of "One at a Time" but it gets to be way too frantic down the road. The synths on the bridge almost rescue the song but once they're gone it returns to its jarring, brittle ways. It's The Boss meets the Eagles on "Why Did I Fall For That?" but, despite some decent lyrics about naively believing political promises ("we're impotent and neutered like whining cats/we've found the piper but we've lost the rats"), Kenney's sloppy drum track in particular drags it down and they didn't bother to fix it. "A Man is a Man" is a gallant try at creating another memorable Who rock ballad but it sounds forced (even the stilted words) and, once again, much of the lack of drama can be blamed on Jones' loose stick work. At least they go out with a roar. The military snare approach on "Cry If You Want" actually works quite well. It marches underneath the band as they punch out this angry spit-wad of a tune with a vengeance. Here Townshend sums up his crushed ideals with "now you know your leaders lied/does it stop you acting snide?/or are you still a boy that cried/tears now surely long since dried/cry if you want." The capper comes when Pete takes out his frustration and pent up fury on his defenseless guitar as he blazes through the distorted power chords to the very end.

Despite its bothersome unevenness, "It's Hard" has its moments and is far from unlistenable but the trio of remaining survivors that had been there from the beginning surely knew this was their last rodeo together and it shows up in the uncharacteristic frayed edges. As the gruesome cover art conveys, the pinball wizard had been replaced with the Space Duel toggle-stick punk and it was time for them to journey on as individuals. 2.5 stars averaged upward for the captivating and still relevant "Eminence Front."

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#204052) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 22, 2009

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'It's Hard' - The Who (5/10)

The last album from The Who for a quarter of a century, it was clear by this point that the band was on their hind legs. After the tragic (yet foreseeable) demise of their drummer, a poor album and sure signs that the music industry was leaving them behind, The Who were wearing very thin, and 'It's Hard' does reflect this. Although it is not technically their swan song anymore, 'It's Hard' does end the saga of The Who on a fairly dull note. Although it is a step up from 'Face Dances', 'It's Hard' is nothing compared to their earlier, more lively days, although it does stand as a fairly good rock album for those who are looking for another dose of The Who.

To describe 'It's Hard' in the simplest terms, it may not rock, but at least it rocks harder than the album before it. 'Face Dances' was something of a pop album; absolving their grit for the sake of soft sounding tracks that might give them some more appeal to the ever more commercial realm of the '80s. 'It's Hard' still features some fairly lacking songwriting. Although the songs here are decent and sometimes even great, it is clear that the band members no longer had their hearts set on making great music with the band, instead saving their best material for solo material, as was the case for guitarist Pete Townshend. However, there are a couple of tracks here that stand out. The first of these is 'Athena', which is an upbeat rocker with a chorus that almost sounds like a precursor to Michael Jackson, or am I just dreaming? In any case, the real highlight here is 'Eminence Front', which is the album's claim to fame. A song that builds with a psychedelic electronic texture and some nice guitar grooves, the song is a really great Townshend-driven track.

The rest of the tracks here lack a memorable hook or solo for the most part, even after several listens to the album. The drums of Kenney Jones try to emulate Moon's work, and for the most part, it is a nice tribute, although there is still not the same ferocity that Moon commanded. 'It's Hard' is a decent album for fans of The Who that want a little more, and there are even a couple of songs here that are really great. As a whole though, this album is something of a disappointment coming from a band that was once creating some of the best music that rock had to offer.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#475663) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 04, 2011

2 stars Well, it at least is better than FACE DANCES. But, not by much. Along with many people, I believe that The Who lost their heart and soul with the passing of Keith Moon. This is pretty basic hard rock and AOR middle-of-the-road rock with little of interest. "It's Hard" was not bad, "Athena" was o ... (read more)

Report this review (#628341) | Posted by mohaveman | Tuesday, February 07, 2012 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Who ? The last of a long line of The Who album before the band made a comeback a quarter of a century later. What we get here is middle of the road rock which soaks up all sounds and whims of that era. A bit funk, a bit pop, a bit disco, a lot of AOR and a lot of what The Who were at their best. ... (read more)

Report this review (#570832) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Saturday, November 19, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE WHO "It's Hard"