THE SHOW OF OUR LIVES: CARAVAN AT THE BBC 1968-1975

Caravan The Show Of Our Lives: Caravan At The BBC 1968-1975 album cover

Buy CARAVAN Music
Live, released in 2007

CD1: (71:13)
1. Place Of My Own (4:12)
2. Ride (4:17)
3. If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It All Over You (2:45)
4. Hello Hello (3:10)
5. As I Feel I Die (6:23)
6. Love To Love You (3:12)
7. Love Song Without Flute (3:33)
8. In The Land Of Grey And Pink (3:43)
9. Nine Feet Underground (14:27)
10. Feelin' Reelin' Sqealin' (9:30)
11. Hunting We Shall Go (9:15)
12. Waffle (6:46)

CD2: (73:04)
1. Memory Lain Hugh (5:04)
2. Headloss (4:27)
3. Love In Your Eye (13:54)
4. Mirror For The Day (4:15)
5. Virgin On The Ridiculous (7:01)
6. For Richard (15:04)
7. Dabsong Conshirtoe (15:11)
8. Stuck In A Hole (3:14)
9. Show Of Our Lives (4:54)

Search CARAVAN The Show Of Our Lives: Caravan At The BBC 1968-1975 lyrics

- Steve Miller / keyboards
- Geoffrey Richardson / viola
- Jan Schelhaas / keyboards
- Mike Wedgwood / bass

2CD Universal/Decca 5301443 (2007)
recorded work for the BBC between 1968 and 1975

Thanks to Rivertree for the addition
and to brunosamppa for the last updates

CARAVAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CARAVAN The Show Of Our Lives: Caravan At The BBC 1968-1975 Music

For Girls Who Grow Plump in NightFor Girls Who Grow Plump in Night
Polygram UK 2005
In the Land of Grey & PinkIn the Land of Grey & Pink
Polygram UK 2005
In the Land of Grey & PinkIn the Land of Grey & Pink
Universal UK 2011
If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do ItIf I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It
Polygram UK 2001
John McCabe: Les martinets noirs; Caravan; Rainforests Nos. 1 & 2 (CD,... US $19.01 Buy It Now 31m 46s
JIMMY CARAVAN: Look Into The Flower (rare rock & pop LP) US $50.00 Buy It Now 48m 19s
CARAVAN**1968-1976: WORLD IS YOURS/ANTHOLOGY**4 CD SET US $46.95 Buy It Now 52m 25s
PETER WHITE CARAVAN OF DREAMS COLUMBIA JAZZ CD US $3.00 [0 bids]
53m 35s
Caravan BTM Records Prog Psych LP 1975 US $15.00 [0 bids]
56m 47s
Gospel Caravan - Acceptable US $3.70 Buy It Now 1h 14m
CARAVAN Blind Dog At St. Dunstans NM Arista AL-4088 album vinyl US $19.95 Buy It Now 1h 27m
CD Album: Caravan : And The New Symphonia Live 1973 US $20.98 [0 bids]
ROBIN TROWER - CARAVAN TO MIDNIGHT - CHRYSALIS CHR-1189 ORIG. CANADIAN PRESSING US $14.99 [0 bids]
CARAVAN PALACE-CARAVAN PALACE CD NEW US $15.39 Buy It Now 2h 5m
BLAKEY,ART-CARAVAN(KEEPNEWS COL CD NEW US $11.66 Buy It Now 2h 5m
GALACTIC CARAVAN-JOURNEY TO INDIA CD NEW US $15.39 Buy It Now 2h 5m
GALACTIC CARAVAN-BELLYDANCE ODYSSEY CD NEW US $15.39 Buy It Now 2h 5m
CHRISTMAS W/ THE GOSPEL SINGING CARAVAN GEO. YOUNCE Lp US $19.95 Buy It Now 2h 37m
The Peter Ulrich Collaboration - The Painted Caravan (CD 2013) US $3.43 [0 bids]
Journey To India by Galactic Caravan US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
Spirit Caravan Jug Fulla Sun lp gatefold IMPORT Saint Vitus WINO US $49.99 [0 bids]
Ornette Coleman IN ALL LANGUAGES Caravan Of Dreams NEW SEALED Vinyl 2 LP US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 30m
CARAVAN - BLIND DOG AT ST DUNSTANS NEW CD US $22.50 Buy It Now 3h 33m
CARAVAN All Over You and You Too 22 track 2 CD SEALED US $12.48 Buy It Now 3h 46m
DANNY HOCTOR "DANCE CARAVAN" LP MINT US $5.00 [0 bids]
CARAVAN - AMERICAN ANTARAI [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $9.73 Buy It Now 4h 22m
CARAVAN - HERE I AM (IMPORT) NEW CD US $16.33 Buy It Now 4h 23m
Jimmy Caravan Hey Jude Beatles Doors OtisRedding covers IsaacHayes organ soul US $9.99 [0 bids]
Rare Stereo LP : Hot Rod Caravan ~ Great cars from coast to coast ~ Battle 96130 US $30.00 [0 bids]
TED & RAY SONGS FOR THE ROAD 7" *NEW* P/S STEREOLAB STATIC CARAVAN US $8.99 Buy It Now 5h 16m
CARAVAN - RECORDED LIVE IN CONCERT AT METROPOLIS [REGION FREE] NEW DVD BOXSET US $14.14 Buy It Now 5h 41m
Art Blakey Jazz Messengers Caravan LP Original US Riverside Mono RM 438 US $29.95 [0 bids]
VINTAGE VINYL BOLLYWOOD RECORD OF THE PAST-CARAVAN US $19.99 [0 bids]
The Gospel Singing Caravan Blue Ridge Quartet w/GEORGE YOUNCE vinyl LP NM! US $18.88 Buy It Now 5h 56m
The Gospel Singing Caravan Vol. 4 Blue Ridge Quartet GEORGE YOUNCE vinyl LP NM! US $18.88 Buy It Now 5h 59m
CARAVAN: Blind Dog At St. Dunstans LP (promo label disc like new, cut corner, p US $15.00 Buy It Now 5h 59m
SCOTTY HOWARD & THE COUNTRY CARAVAN, VINYL LP, "NONE OTHER THA ME" US $0.99 [0 bids]
Ark Blakey & Jazz Messengers (3 CD's)-A Night in Tunisia (2 versions) & Caravan US $16.99 [0 bids]
The Quill - Voodoo Caravan (CD, Feb-2002, Steamhammer) US $7.90 Buy It Now 6h 49m
The Vintage Caravan - Voyage (2014) - New - Compact Disc US $11.98 Buy It Now 7h 46m
45 Keith & The Admirators on Columbia Dream Caravan 1st US $15.00 Buy It Now 7h 57m
Spirit Caravan - Last Embrace (2003) - New - Compact Disc US $14.08 Buy It Now 9h 6m
DANNY HOCTOR Dance Caravan Show Tunes LP Hoctor Records HLPS 4327 album US $22.39 Buy It Now 9h 36m
ART BLAKEY & THE JAZZ MESSENGERS - CARAVAN NEW VINYL US $34.82 Buy It Now 10h 14m
HODGES,JOHNNY-CARAVAN CD NEW US $12.70 Buy It Now 10h 24m
Caravan - Caravan Japan CD Mini LP UICY-9208 US $19.00 [0 bids]
PANTERA original CD "Planet caravan" 1994 on Atlantic US $24.99 Buy It Now 10h 49m
2 CD BOX DUKE ELLINGTON TAKE A TRAIN CARAVAN SOLITUDE US $11.98 Buy It Now 10h 52m
CARAVAN**WATERLOO LILY**CD US $13.95 Buy It Now 11h 22m
Caravan, Madviolet, Excellent Import US $4.71 Buy It Now 11h 34m
CARAVAN CUNNING STUNTS JAPAN LP K16P-9063 US $23.99 Buy It Now 12h
ALBERTINA WALKER-MISS CARAVAN-SOLOS BY-LP-VINYL-GOSPEL-SAVOY US $21.99 Buy It Now 12h 5m
Caravan - Blind Dog At St Dunstans 12" LP on Arista AL4088 Plays EX+ USA Issue US $12.00 Buy It Now 12h 31m
CARAVAN - CANTERBURY SOUND (FR. CD) US $14.00 Buy It Now 13h
Smith Gregg A - Caravan Of Dreams CD US $13.28 Buy It Now 13h 9m
Joe d'Urso & Stone Caravan,NEW CD,rock and roll station US $14.99 Buy It Now 13h 34m
TOKOLOSH.SHAPESHIFTER.STATIC CARAVAN 7'' VINYL NEW US $6.84 Buy It Now 13h 38m
EDDIE LAYTON Caravan LP EX! Original Wing MONO US $14.99 Buy It Now 13h 44m
DON PAULL and the Canyon Caravan - Too Little Lovin' SUN 101 - 78rpm US $16.95 Buy It Now 13h 45m
TIAJUANA CARAVAN,CD,Tiajuana Caravan US $9.99 Buy It Now 14h 36m
David Sinclair-Moon Over Man 1976/1993 Austria VoiceprintVP119CD CARAVAN Keys US $16.99 Buy It Now 15h 25m
Barbara Dickson - Caravan Song - 7" PS 1979 - Ex - Italian Issue US $0.02 [0 bids]
PETER COLLABORATION ULRICH - PAINTED CARAVAN NEW CD US $17.87 Buy It Now 15h 28m
HIDE - tune up hide remixes - Japan CD Jazzy Soul Caravan Jungle Techno Valk US $14.50 Buy It Now 15h 49m
JEAN OSMONT - CARAVAN [JEAN OSMONT] - NEW CD US $8.73 Buy It Now 15h 53m
PAUL BLEY - CARAVAN SUITE NEW CD US $25.98 Buy It Now 16h 15m
Silk Road-A Musical Caravan [CD New] US $21.15 Buy It Now 16h 20m
Caravan - Blind Dog At St. Dunstan's [CD New] US $13.31 Buy It Now 16h 21m
CARAVAN s/t CD bonus 2002 Verve Forecast 8829522 17trks Hatfield US $7.46 Buy It Now 16h 43m
HATFIELD & THE NORTH 's't' CD 1992 Virgin CDV2008 Caravan/Egg/Gong/Robert Wyatt US $8.55 Buy It Now 16h 43m
CARAVAN-ALL OVER YOU TOO-9 TRACK CD-1999-ENGLAND US $9.40 Buy It Now 17h 11m
Caravan Palace 2011 [CD New] US $22.12 Buy It Now 17h 15m
CHARLY ANTOLINI - CARAVAN NEW CD US $23.27 Buy It Now 17h 55m
ALFONSO PONTICELLI - CARAVAN NEW CD US $31.37 Buy It Now 18h 24m
Rock and Roll Station by Joe d'Urso & Stone Caravan-CD-Schoolhouse Records US $3.99 Buy It Now 18h 34m
Jimmy Caravan-Hey Jude LP-OG US ISSUE-JAZZ FUNK BREAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! US $34.26 Buy It Now 18h 49m
Inspiral Carpets Caravan 12" Remix No'd NEW Madchester US $8.99 Buy It Now 18h 57m
The Silk Road: A Musical Caravan 2 CD Set Smithsonian; Burning Man 2014 Theme US $9.95 Buy It Now 19h 5m
1977 - CARAVAN - Better By Far - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $15.41 Buy It Now 19h 20m
CARAVAN Waterloo Lily, LP, Psychedelic Rock US $28.00 [0 bids]
CARAVAN - PARADISE FILTER (UK) NEW CD US $37.14 Buy It Now 20h 40m
Xhol Caravan-Talking to My Soul SWF 1970 NTSC/PAL DVD US $19.99 Buy It Now 20h 54m
STONE CARAVAN rockland 1993 15 track CD JOE D'URSO US $26.99 Buy It Now 21h
Caravan US $20.65 Buy It Now 21h 6m
Isley, Jasper, Isley - Caravan of Love - * EXCELLENT * - LP Vinyl Record US $8.48 Buy It Now 21h 7m
Orig ESY MORALES Rumba With Morales 4 Trk 78 10'' EP SLEEVE Latin Caravan CL-107 US $9.95 [0 bids]
CARAVAN - IF I'D DO IT ALL AGAIN I'D DO IT ALL OVER YOU (UK) NEW VINYL US $67.57 Buy It Now 21h 30m
Winter Kings-Black Caravan/Lullaby/Landmine CD Import New US $18.34 Buy It Now 21h 45m
1974 Original Steven Grossman Caravan Tonight LP Vinyl Record Folk/Rock 45RPM US $5.49 Buy It Now 21h 46m
Mojo - Heavy Mod - Small Faces, The Attack, Caravan, The Creation - music cd US $8.48 Buy It Now 21h 49m
CATHEDRAL - Caravan Beyond Redemption (CD, 1998, Earache Records) US $9.99 Buy It Now 22h 7m
Caravan - Here I Am [CD New] US $10.32 Buy It Now 22h 12m
Cathedral - Caravan Beyond Redemption / Japan + 1 US $9.50 [3 bids]
ISLEY JASPER ISLEY "CARAVAN OF LOVE" 45 MINT US $4.75 Buy It Now 23h 18m
cd + C3 JIMMY CARAVAN HEY JUDE US $25.99 Buy It Now 23h 21m
Voyage by The Vintage Caravan (CD, 2014, Nuclear Blast (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Housemartins Caravan Of Love b/w When I First Met Jesus Rock Picture Sleeve NM US $4.25 [0 bids]
CARAVAN for girls who grow plump in the night LP VG+ XPS 637 London 1973 USA US $36.00 Buy It Now 23h 48m
~~THE AMORY BROTHERS~~THERE IS NO BREEZE~~CARAVAN~~R&B~~DOO WOP~~RARE~~78 RPM~~ US $7.99 [1 bids]
CARAVAN - CUNNING STUNTS NEW CD US $16.73 Buy It Now 23h 54m
CARAVAN - CUNNING STUNTS NEW CD US $16.33 Buy It Now 23h 59m
BUDDY RICH - PLAYTIME/BLUES CARAVAN - NEW CD US $11.44 Buy It Now 1 day
Capitol 78/TEX WILLIAMS&His Western Caravan-"Smoke Smoke Smoke"!/E US $2.50 [1 bids]
The Housemartins Elektra 45 Record #69436 NM PS Caravan Of Love / When I First US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy CARAVAN music online Buy CARAVAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CARAVAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CARAVAN The Show Of Our Lives: Caravan At The BBC 1968-1975 ratings distribution

CARAVAN The Show Of Our Lives: Caravan At The BBC 1968-1975 reviews

Review by Raff
4 stars Even though I find there is little to add to James's flawless review, I cannot resist the temptation of expressing my own opinion on this magnificent release from one of my all-time favourite bands. "The Show of Our Lives" captures some sterling performances by a band who - in spite of the frequent line-up changes - were at the peak of their creativity and musicianship, and is therefore worth every one of the 21 euros I spent on it.

CD One starts with a couple of songs from Caravan's charming debut album, and features an interesting, 9-minute-plus version of Soft Machine's hit "Feelin', Reelin', Squeelin'". All these songs clearly show how the legendary 'Canterbury Sound' took its cue from psychedelia before moving into a more complex, challenging, jazz-tinged territory. Unlike the Softs, though, Caravan never lost sight of their pop roots, and effortlessly blended ambitious compositions with melody and accessibility. This CD contains both sides of the band - the poppier gems like the delightful Hello Hello or the quirky "In the Land of Grey and Pink", and the longer, more intricate tracks, powered by David Sinclair's trademark organ sound, such as "Nine Feet Underground" or "As I Feel I Die".

Unfortunately, one of the band's best songs ever (and my personal favourite) has been omitted from this compilation, which is a great pity: I'm referring to "Winter Wine", one of Richard Sinclair's finest lyrical and vocal moments. If I had to nitpick, I'd say that there are not enough tracks featuring Richard S.'s fluid, elegant bass lines and inimitable voice - just listen to his performance on "...Grey and Pink" or at the end of "Nine Feet Underground", and swoon in delight! Caravan did weather his loss by releasing the magnificent "For Girls Who Grow Plump" in the Night (their last great album, in my humble opinion), but never did as well in the vocal department, as is rather evident in most of the tracks on CD Two.

The second CD opens with the upbeat, light-hearted "Memory Lain Hugh/Headloss", and includes songs up to 1975's "Cunning Stunts". In spite of Richard Sinclair's departure, the band's instrumental power remained intact, and the addition of Geoff Richardson's viola proved to be a definite asset to their sound, as shown by the superb version of their classic "For Richard" (recorded in 1974), as well as two later masterpieces such as "A Hunting We Shall Go" (one of my all-time favourite instrumentals, and one of the highlights of the record) and the 15-minute-plus "The Dabsong Conshirtoe", with its energetic, driving finale.

To my mind, Caravan represent the triumph of songwriting at its best as opposed to the technical brilliance for its own sake which is so widespread in 'modern' prog. As this compilations proves, they could do 15-minute epics as well as 3-minute catchy, flawlessly crafted pop songs - something not many other bands of the Seventies could pull off equally well. "The Show of Our Lives" is a must for fans of the Canterbury sound, and a great introduction to the band for those who haven't yet had the pleasure of listening to them. All in all, a more than worthy addition to any prog record collection.

Send comments to Raff (BETA) | Report this review (#159134) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 19, 2008

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars The amazing thing about Caravan is just how much they recorded for the BBC, whether in radio sessions or live concerts, but even more amazing is that they keep on belting a few sessions every now and then. Released in 2007, TSOOL is yet another one of those release, a double disc affair for that matter, and still no overlapping from sessions and no sessions with doubtful (even if admitted and revealed) origins, such as the Green Bottles For Marjorie release. But if there are no repetition of sessions, I wouldn't exactly say that these recordings are absolutely essential if you already own one or two live records from the For Girls/Stunts era or own the other sessions from the original four.

I'm not going to go through all of the tracks, but it's quite pleasant to hear three from their debut album, including a rare Wilde Flowers/Soft Machine stunning tidbits Feelin, Squeezin' from a 71 session. Other rarities are the rarely heard Love To Love You, a vastly different Love Song With A Flute (Sinclair on electric piano) and an unfortunately abridged Grey & Pink track and 9 Ft Underground. The only thing not right about this first CD is the inclusion of a For Girls session. Why didn't they wait for the second dic as there was enough space.

That very second disc offering us a bunch of Richardson-era sessions, but not past the Stunts album. Of interest is the Love In Your Eyes with violin and the two new for the New Symphonia gig tracks as well as a For Richard, but most of these can be heard on the Fairfield Hall concert. Hell we even hear Pye answering Geoffrey's great violin runs in For Richard. One of the best versions of Dabsong Conshirtoe is also present on this disc.

Surprisingly, these BBC sessions are issued by Decca label instead of the HUX label, which has been handling BBC stuff for the last years. Anyway, those of you reading me for years now know I have a soft spot for Caravan, but this doesn't mean a fanboy and that I'm buying everything from them; quite on the contrary, I tend to be even more difficult with my fave artistes. So when I saw this, I hesitated less than 10 seconds, told myself, WTF and took it home, knowing I'll only have limited mileage on it. While I wouldn't call this essential at all for general progheads, if you're a Caravan fan, this is an absolute must for all of the great surprises.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#160128) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2008

4 stars 4.5 stars. This is a live double disc compilation recording of tracks done for the BBC. We get tracks from the debut right through to "Cunning Stunts" plus some that are from "Caravan & The New Symphonia" live album. Also we get a cover of a SOFT MACHINE track. The tracks are pretty much in chronological order. I have to say that the first disc is without a doubt a 5 star affair. It's freaking perfect really, every song is incredible. The second disc I would rate as a solid 4 stars record with a couple of tracks taken from the "Caravan & The New Symphonia" being simply average, and two songs from "Cunning Stunts" album that are also just okay.The rest of the second disc is amazing though.

I don't even know where to start with the first disc because I love every track on it. I have to mention the distorted organ which I guess is a trademark of the Canterbury sound, but it's nasty on these songs. It's interesting as me move along towards the end of the disc to hear the viola from Geoffrey Richardson, it certainly adds a new dynamic. I think the biggest surprise for me was the song "The Dabsong Conshirtoe" from "Cunning Stunts". I don't have that studio album and this song impressed me quite a bit, even if the other two from that album that are on here didn't.

For CARAVAN fans this is a must, for everyone else I would still highly recommend this live 1968-1975 live overview.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#481548) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Post a review of CARAVAN "The Show Of Our Lives: Caravan At The BBC 1968-1975"