THE SHOW OF OUR LIVES: CARAVAN AT THE BBC 1968-1975

Caravan The Show Of Our Lives: Caravan At The BBC 1968-1975 album cover

Buy CARAVAN Music
Live, released in 2007

CD1: (71:13)
1. Place Of My Own (4:12)
2. Ride (4:17)
3. If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It All Over You (2:45)
4. Hello Hello (3:10)
5. As I Feel I Die (6:23)
6. Love To Love You (3:12)
7. Love Song Without Flute (3:33)
8. In The Land Of Grey And Pink (3:43)
9. Nine Feet Underground (14:27)
10. Feelin' Reelin' Sqealin' (9:30)
11. Hunting We Shall Go (9:15)
12. Waffle (6:46)

CD2: (73:04)
1. Memory Lain Hugh (5:04)
2. Headloss (4:27)
3. Love In Your Eye (13:54)
4. Mirror For The Day (4:15)
5. Virgin On The Ridiculous (7:01)
6. For Richard (15:04)
7. Dabsong Conshirtoe (15:11)
8. Stuck In A Hole (3:14)
9. Show Of Our Lives (4:54)

Search CARAVAN The Show Of Our Lives: Caravan At The BBC 1968-1975 lyrics

- Steve Miller / keyboards
- Geoffrey Richardson / viola
- Jan Schelhaas / keyboards
- Mike Wedgwood / bass

2CD Universal/Decca 5301443 (2007)
recorded work for the BBC between 1968 and 1975

Thanks to Rivertree for the addition
and to brunosamppa for the last updates

CARAVAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CARAVAN The Show Of Our Lives: Caravan At The BBC 1968-1975 Music

In the Land of Grey & PinkIn the Land of Grey & Pink
Polygram UK 2005
Paradise FilterParadise Filter
Imports 2014
Show of Our Lives: Caravan at BBC 1968-1975Show of Our Lives: Caravan at BBC 1968-1975
Universal I.S. 2007
CaravanCaravan
Universal I.S. 2002
CARAVAN CUNNING STUNTS BTM VINYL LP 1975 PROG ORIG PRESS PLAYS GREAT! VG+/VG!! US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 51m
ORIG Caravan - Waterloo Lily LP Vinyl UK 1972 Deram King Crimson Archival MINT US $99.95 Buy It Now 3h
Barclay James Harvest CD 2 on 1 Other Short Stories / Baby Camel Caravan Nektar US $8.00 [0 bids]
1978 - ROBIN TROWER - Caravan To Midnight - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $14.68 Buy It Now 5h 42m
Caravan Cunning Stunts Japan Orig. LP OBI 1975 US $35.00 [5 bids]
7 Steps from the Border - Pocket Caravan - 11 Track US $9.78 Buy It Now 7h 58m
Canterbury Tales - The Best Of Caravan (2 x 12" Vinyl LP) Gatefold US $9.78 Buy It Now 8h
Ultra Rare OOP Greenlight Caravan Mother Earth Revival CD Rock GLC2008 NR US $16.99 [0 bids]
Ultra Rare George Jenkins Last Call on Tampa TP112 45 rpm Caravan RS11 NR NM US $9.99 [0 bids]
CARAVAN - WATERLOO LILY - RARE VINYL US $50.00 [0 bids]
CARAVAN - CUNNING STUNTS - RARE VINYL US $30.00 [0 bids]
Cause cd Joe D'urso & Stone Caravan US $2.99 Buy It Now 8h 36m
Peter White "Caravan Of Dreams" twice autographed CD US $19.99 [0 bids]
The Housemartins(7" Vinyl P/S)Caravan Of Love-Go Discs-GOD 16-UK-VG/VG US $6.51 Buy It Now 8h 39m
Caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump... LP orig. Still Sealed (London, 1973) US $69.99 Buy It Now 8h 57m
Big Joe Turner's Memphis Blues Caravan, featuring Eugene 'Hideaway' Bridges - CD US $1.62 [1 bids]
Caravan - DAY DREAM / Dynamo - Japan CD J-POP Sample US $8.99 Buy It Now 9h 11m
THE GOSPEL SINGING CARAVAN LP 555 Classic Gospel LP US $5.25 Buy It Now 9h 17m
CARAVAN " IN THE LAND OF GREY AND PINK" DERAM GFOLD (NM) US $48.96 [0 bids]
John McCabe - Rainforest 1; Rainforest 2; Les martinets noirs; Caravan US $17.94 Buy It Now 9h 42m
Les Martinets Noirs/Caravan/ - Angela Whelan New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Ship US $28.82 Buy It Now 9h 45m
The Mike Moran Band - CARAVAN - RARE LP US $19.90 Buy It Now 10h 5m
BENNY GOODMAN Camel Caravan Congress Hotel 1938 LP Bud Freeman Vol 2 US $14.97 Buy It Now 10h 16m
Madviolet : Caravan CD (2010) US $19.00 Buy It Now 10h 27m
DEODATO Caravan / Watusi Strut b/w Watusi Strut STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 43m
Machito & Flip Philipps 78rpm Mercury #11018 Caravan US $9.99 [0 bids]
11h
CARAVAN cunning stunts 1975 UK DECCA STEREO LP US $19.59 Buy It Now 11h 19m
Santana Vinyl LP Lot of 3/ Self Titled/ Caravan/ Buddy miles EX! Original LPS US $12.95 [0 bids]
Caravan - Ralph Marterie New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $24.08 Buy It Now 11h 39m
MADVIOLET - CARAVAN * [MADVIOLET] - NEW CD US $10.99 Buy It Now 11h 57m
EDDIE LAYTON caravan LP VG MG 20426 Vinyl Record US $14.40 Buy It Now 12h
Waterloo Lily (Remastered) Caravan (CD 2001) UK IMPORT US $12.00 Buy It Now 12h 51m
Live in Concert At Metropolis Studios - Caravan New & Sealed Compact Disc Free S US $24.91 Buy It Now 13h 3m
Caravan LP LONDON In The Land Of Grey And Pink HEAVY PROG ROCK ORIGINAL US $8.00 [3 bids]
Caravan - Live On Air [CD New] US $7.65 Buy It Now 13h 22m
Peter White - Caravan Of Dreams [CD New] US $12.14 Buy It Now 13h 23m
Buddy Rich SEVEN CLASSIC ALBUMS VOL 2 In Miami BLUES CARAVAN New Sealed 4 CD US $10.99 [0 bids]
Dance Caravan-Show Tunes-2 LP-Gatefold-Hector-HLPS 4322-Vinyl Record US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 51m
(LP) ''GLEN GRAY AND THE CASA LOMA ORCHESTRA / CASA LOMA CARAVAN / 1957 CAPITOL US $1.99 [0 bids]
RONALD SHANNON JACKSON live at the caravan of dreams LP Mint- CDP85005 Jazz US $9.60 Buy It Now 14h 31m
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers CARAVAN 180g HQ + MP3 Code NEW SEALED Vinyl LP US $25.99 Buy It Now 15h
Caravan: Waterloo Lily UK 1972 Stereo 1st Pressing LP US $65.28 [2 bids]
GOLDFRAPP - 2x 7" picture disc sealed Happiness & Caravan Girl US $27.67 Buy It Now 15h 23m
78 RPM Who? Me? & Foolish Years Sung By Tex Williams And His Western Caravan US $2.94 [0 bids]
CARAVAN PALACE - PANIC (UK) NEW CD US $31.28 Buy It Now 15h 40m
HOUSEMARTINS Caravan Of Love 12" GO! 1986 UK press *Tracks below US $13.06 Buy It Now 15h 45m
NEW - Back to Front (Reis) by Caravan US $219.49 Buy It Now 15h 54m
JOE VALINO GARDEN OF EDEN / CARAVAN 45 RECORD US $3.00 Buy It Now 15h 56m
GOATSNAKE - DOG DAYS DIGIPAK CD. ELECTRIC WIZARD, CATHEDRAL, SPIRIT CARAVAN US $3.00 [1 bids]
SWING SHIFT BAND CARAVAN 7" BUDDY EMMONS COUNTRY CANADIAN STEP ONE RECORDS US $15.00 Buy It Now 16h 2m
THE OBSESSED - INCARNATE CD. WINO, ST VITUS, SPIRIT CARAVAN, PROBOT, DOOM US $5.00 [0 bids]
Jimmy Caravan, Hey Jude, Muntz Stereo-Pak 4 Track Tape US $19.00 [0 bids]
Caravan "Waterloo" London '72 LP 6-1-72 US $29.99 [0 bids]
CARAVAN / RENAISSANCE - rare 1975 ticket stub NEWCASTLE CITY HALL US $21.53 Buy It Now 17h 57m
Vintage Caravan Record Music Babies TIMMIE'S BUSY MORNING 78 RPM US $17.99 Buy It Now 18h 26m
Last Caravan by Last Caravan (CD, Jan-2005, US $6.95 Buy It Now 18h 28m
LP-Caravan-Cunning Stunts~70's Canterbury UK ~Prog Psych US $14.99 [0 bids]
(DV440) The Painted Caravan, Children of the Rain - 2013 DJ CD US $3.25 Buy It Now 18h 48m
Inspiral Carpets - Caravan 7" single (Mute Records - 1991) US $4.88 [0 bids]
B. Bumble and the Stingers Bee Hive/Caravan Rendezvous US 1961 Promo Single 45 US $7.99 Buy It Now 18h 51m
BENNY GOODMAN 1937-1938 JAZZ CONCERT DJ 78 "Caravan / Clarinet Marmalade" US $9.95 Buy It Now 19h 7m
Caravan "Cunning Stunts" BTM '75 LP US $12.99 [0 bids]
RARE INSTRUMENTAL 45 - NO NAME BAND - GYPSY CARAVAN / ISRAELI STOMP- SCORPIO 472 US $9.99 Buy It Now 19h 24m
Quest by Gypsy Caravan (CD, Mar-2004, gypsy caravan) US $7.95 Buy It Now 19h 53m
Awakening by Gypsy Caravan (CD, Sep-2003, Gypsy Caravan Productioins) US $9.99 Buy It Now 19h 59m
The Gypsy Caravan - Caravan Rhythms [Audio cd] US $9.99 Buy It Now 20h 5m
LATIN LP: INTER-AMERICAN TRAVEL SEMINAR Venezuelan Touring Caravan 7 US $19.95 Buy It Now 20h 8m
In the Land of Grey & Pink Caravan MUSIC CD US $69.98 Buy It Now 20h 14m
Rush Caravan BU2B 7" PS Record Store Day RSD NEW!! VERY RARE!! US $49.99 [0 bids]
COZY COLE & HIS BIG SEVEN 7" 45 RPM EP G.A. EP2035 CARAVAN HONYSUCLE ROSE NR US $5.99 [0 bids]
STEVEN GROSSMAN - CARAVAN TONIGHT - 11 TRACK WHITE LABEL PROMO-LP/Vinyl/Record US $18.95 Buy It Now 20h 30m
CARAVAN'S ORCH.~CARAVAN POLKA~VG++~MOON WALTZ~SMART-NIK~RARE~~POLKA 45 US $19.99 Buy It Now 20h 37m
CARAVAN'S ORCHESTRA~CARAVAN POLKA~NEAR MINT~RARE~SMART-NIK~~POLKA 45 US $19.99 Buy It Now 20h 38m
ART BLAKEY: Caravan LP (2 200g 45rpm discs) rare Jazz US $60.00 Buy It Now 20h 39m
The New Sound Les Paul Box Set Capitol F15584 Brazil Hip Billy Boogie Caravan US $4.97 [0 bids]
Various - Comedy Caravan - LP ('56)Griffith, Yorgesson, Kari, Freeberg, Standley US $10.22 Buy It Now 20h 55m
Quincy Jones- Caravan Rare 33 RPM 7" Jazz Vinyl Record MERCURY 45 US $2.50 [0 bids]
CD / Caravan - Cunning Stunts 1992 / Deram 844 126-2 UK US $8.00 Buy It Now 21h 10m
Castaways(Bill Trader)"Caravan&Carol's Theme"Rare Garage Rock 45 Jim Dandy 1014 US $24.99 [0 bids]
THE GYPSY CARAVAN - 4 7" 45 RECORD SET '90S PUNK INDIE GYPSY RECORDS US $9.98 Buy It Now 21h 23m
spirit caravan jug fulla Sun double vinyl limited 500 pressed US $29.99 Buy It Now 21h 49m
Moondance, Van Morrison, CD 1986 Crazy Love, Caravan, Into The Mystic, Stoned Me US $1.99 [0 bids]
Pantera - Planet Caravan **SINGLE IMPORT** US $30.00 Buy It Now 22h 2m
Caravan To Midnight - Robin Trower LP IN SHRINK Procol Harum guitar rock US $5.99 [0 bids]
(AZ873) The Winter Kings, Black Caravan - DJ CD US $4.49 Buy It Now 22h 8m
Xhol Caravan- Electrip + 2 (Dennis, Embryo, M.T. Wizzard, Pinocchio, Virgo) US $19.99 Buy It Now 22h 15m
78 RPM 10" Columbia 80392 Wher My Caravan Has Rested Rosa Carmela Ponselle US $6.99 [1 bids]
Robin Trower Caravan to Midnight nm- about 400 Fairly priced LP's US $5.95 Buy It Now 22h 29m
ROBIN TROWER Caravan To Midnight ORIGINAL LP US $24.99 Buy It Now 22h 42m
Mighty Sparrow: Calypso Time LP VG++/NM Canada Caravan US $19.99 Buy It Now 22h 43m
SQUIRREL NUT ZIPPERS Christmas Caravan CD 1998 US $5.00 Buy It Now 22h 47m
Dance Caravan-Show Tunes-2 LP-Gatefold-Hector-HLPS 4322-Vinyl Record US $2.99 [0 bids]
CARUS THOMPSON - CARAVAN - NEW CD US $16.24 Buy It Now 23h 36m
JIMMY CARAVAN & TRIO Look Into The Flower TOWER 5103 EX LP ORGAN SOUL JAZZ US $14.90 Buy It Now 23h 52m
Todd Dillingham & Caravan Wilde Canterbury Dream SEALED UK CD Camel Bevis Frond US $32.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It All ... japan mini LP SHM CD US $26.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Bing Crosby Jascha Heifetz Lullaby / Where My Caravan Has Rested 10" 78rpm US $6.51 Buy It Now 1 day
Caravan Palace - Panic CD US $45.62 Buy It Now 1 day
CARAVAN-THIN LIZZY-ALLMAN BROTHERS- One More For The Road CD GREEK COLLECTION US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Duke Ellington Caravan EP -RCA Victor EPA-5054 45rpm MONO US $0.69 [0 bids]

More places to buy CARAVAN music online Buy CARAVAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CARAVAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CARAVAN The Show Of Our Lives: Caravan At The BBC 1968-1975 ratings distribution

CARAVAN The Show Of Our Lives: Caravan At The BBC 1968-1975 reviews

Review by Raff
4 stars Even though I find there is little to add to James's flawless review, I cannot resist the temptation of expressing my own opinion on this magnificent release from one of my all-time favourite bands. "The Show of Our Lives" captures some sterling performances by a band who - in spite of the frequent line-up changes - were at the peak of their creativity and musicianship, and is therefore worth every one of the 21 euros I spent on it.

CD One starts with a couple of songs from Caravan's charming debut album, and features an interesting, 9-minute-plus version of Soft Machine's hit "Feelin', Reelin', Squeelin'". All these songs clearly show how the legendary 'Canterbury Sound' took its cue from psychedelia before moving into a more complex, challenging, jazz-tinged territory. Unlike the Softs, though, Caravan never lost sight of their pop roots, and effortlessly blended ambitious compositions with melody and accessibility. This CD contains both sides of the band - the poppier gems like the delightful Hello Hello or the quirky "In the Land of Grey and Pink", and the longer, more intricate tracks, powered by David Sinclair's trademark organ sound, such as "Nine Feet Underground" or "As I Feel I Die".

Unfortunately, one of the band's best songs ever (and my personal favourite) has been omitted from this compilation, which is a great pity: I'm referring to "Winter Wine", one of Richard Sinclair's finest lyrical and vocal moments. If I had to nitpick, I'd say that there are not enough tracks featuring Richard S.'s fluid, elegant bass lines and inimitable voice - just listen to his performance on "...Grey and Pink" or at the end of "Nine Feet Underground", and swoon in delight! Caravan did weather his loss by releasing the magnificent "For Girls Who Grow Plump" in the Night (their last great album, in my humble opinion), but never did as well in the vocal department, as is rather evident in most of the tracks on CD Two.

The second CD opens with the upbeat, light-hearted "Memory Lain Hugh/Headloss", and includes songs up to 1975's "Cunning Stunts". In spite of Richard Sinclair's departure, the band's instrumental power remained intact, and the addition of Geoff Richardson's viola proved to be a definite asset to their sound, as shown by the superb version of their classic "For Richard" (recorded in 1974), as well as two later masterpieces such as "A Hunting We Shall Go" (one of my all-time favourite instrumentals, and one of the highlights of the record) and the 15-minute-plus "The Dabsong Conshirtoe", with its energetic, driving finale.

To my mind, Caravan represent the triumph of songwriting at its best as opposed to the technical brilliance for its own sake which is so widespread in 'modern' prog. As this compilations proves, they could do 15-minute epics as well as 3-minute catchy, flawlessly crafted pop songs - something not many other bands of the Seventies could pull off equally well. "The Show of Our Lives" is a must for fans of the Canterbury sound, and a great introduction to the band for those who haven't yet had the pleasure of listening to them. All in all, a more than worthy addition to any prog record collection.

Send comments to Raff (BETA) | Report this review (#159134) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 19, 2008

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars The amazing thing about Caravan is just how much they recorded for the BBC, whether in radio sessions or live concerts, but even more amazing is that they keep on belting a few sessions every now and then. Released in 2007, TSOOL is yet another one of those release, a double disc affair for that matter, and still no overlapping from sessions and no sessions with doubtful (even if admitted and revealed) origins, such as the Green Bottles For Marjorie release. But if there are no repetition of sessions, I wouldn't exactly say that these recordings are absolutely essential if you already own one or two live records from the For Girls/Stunts era or own the other sessions from the original four.

I'm not going to go through all of the tracks, but it's quite pleasant to hear three from their debut album, including a rare Wilde Flowers/Soft Machine stunning tidbits Feelin, Squeezin' from a 71 session. Other rarities are the rarely heard Love To Love You, a vastly different Love Song With A Flute (Sinclair on electric piano) and an unfortunately abridged Grey & Pink track and 9 Ft Underground. The only thing not right about this first CD is the inclusion of a For Girls session. Why didn't they wait for the second dic as there was enough space.

That very second disc offering us a bunch of Richardson-era sessions, but not past the Stunts album. Of interest is the Love In Your Eyes with violin and the two new for the New Symphonia gig tracks as well as a For Richard, but most of these can be heard on the Fairfield Hall concert. Hell we even hear Pye answering Geoffrey's great violin runs in For Richard. One of the best versions of Dabsong Conshirtoe is also present on this disc.

Surprisingly, these BBC sessions are issued by Decca label instead of the HUX label, which has been handling BBC stuff for the last years. Anyway, those of you reading me for years now know I have a soft spot for Caravan, but this doesn't mean a fanboy and that I'm buying everything from them; quite on the contrary, I tend to be even more difficult with my fave artistes. So when I saw this, I hesitated less than 10 seconds, told myself, WTF and took it home, knowing I'll only have limited mileage on it. While I wouldn't call this essential at all for general progheads, if you're a Caravan fan, this is an absolute must for all of the great surprises.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#160128) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2008

4 stars 4.5 stars. This is a live double disc compilation recording of tracks done for the BBC. We get tracks from the debut right through to "Cunning Stunts" plus some that are from "Caravan & The New Symphonia" live album. Also we get a cover of a SOFT MACHINE track. The tracks are pretty much in chronological order. I have to say that the first disc is without a doubt a 5 star affair. It's freaking perfect really, every song is incredible. The second disc I would rate as a solid 4 stars record with a couple of tracks taken from the "Caravan & The New Symphonia" being simply average, and two songs from "Cunning Stunts" album that are also just okay.The rest of the second disc is amazing though.

I don't even know where to start with the first disc because I love every track on it. I have to mention the distorted organ which I guess is a trademark of the Canterbury sound, but it's nasty on these songs. It's interesting as me move along towards the end of the disc to hear the viola from Geoffrey Richardson, it certainly adds a new dynamic. I think the biggest surprise for me was the song "The Dabsong Conshirtoe" from "Cunning Stunts". I don't have that studio album and this song impressed me quite a bit, even if the other two from that album that are on here didn't.

For CARAVAN fans this is a must, for everyone else I would still highly recommend this live 1968-1975 live overview.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#481548) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Post a review of CARAVAN "The Show Of Our Lives: Caravan At The BBC 1968-1975"