THE SHOW OF OUR LIVES: CARAVAN AT THE BBC 1968-1975

Caravan The Show Of Our Lives: Caravan At The BBC 1968-1975 album cover

Buy CARAVAN Music
Live, released in 2007

CD1: (71:13)
1. Place Of My Own (4:12)
2. Ride (4:17)
3. If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It All Over You (2:45)
4. Hello Hello (3:10)
5. As I Feel I Die (6:23)
6. Love To Love You (3:12)
7. Love Song Without Flute (3:33)
8. In The Land Of Grey And Pink (3:43)
9. Nine Feet Underground (14:27)
10. Feelin' Reelin' Sqealin' (9:30)
11. Hunting We Shall Go (9:15)
12. Waffle (6:46)

CD2: (73:04)
1. Memory Lain Hugh (5:04)
2. Headloss (4:27)
3. Love In Your Eye (13:54)
4. Mirror For The Day (4:15)
5. Virgin On The Ridiculous (7:01)
6. For Richard (15:04)
7. Dabsong Conshirtoe (15:11)
8. Stuck In A Hole (3:14)
9. Show Of Our Lives (4:54)

Search CARAVAN The Show Of Our Lives: Caravan At The BBC 1968-1975 lyrics

- Steve Miller / keyboards
- Geoffrey Richardson / viola
- Jan Schelhaas / keyboards
- Mike Wedgwood / bass

2CD Universal/Decca 5301443 (2007)
recorded work for the BBC between 1968 and 1975

Thanks to Rivertree for the addition
and to brunosamppa for the last updates

CARAVAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CARAVAN The Show Of Our Lives: Caravan At The BBC 1968-1975 Music

For Girls Who Grow Plump in NightFor Girls Who Grow Plump in Night
Polygram UK 2005
CaravanCaravan
Universal I.S. 2002
If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do ItIf I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It
In the Land of Grey & PinkIn the Land of Grey & Pink
Polygram UK 2005
Caravan & The New SymphoniaCaravan & The New Symphonia
In the Land of Grey & PinkIn the Land of Grey & Pink
Universal UK 2011
Waterloo LilyWaterloo Lily
Polygram UK 2001
CARAVAN Cunning Stunts JAPAN MINI-LP CD OBI SEALED +3 1975 SHM-CD US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
LP Marsalis, Wynton "Marsalis Standard Time Volume Vol.1" CBS 451 039 1 Caravan US $15.32 Buy It Now 1h 51m
SOUNDTRACK MEDICINE BALL CARAVAN 1971 WARNER BROS DEMO US $25.00 Buy It Now 2h 8m
CARAVAN - CARAVAN & THE NEW SYMPHONIA NEW CD US $20.26 Buy It Now 2h 47m
CARAVAN & THE NEW SYMPHONIA (London Records) #PS 650 1974 ORIG 1st US Pressing US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 53m
78rpm PHILIP GREEN ORCH caravan , ellington / ruby US $34.08 Buy It Now 3h 9m
CARAVAN FEATURING ARIF ST MICHAEL promise 12" 3 trk deep south mix (hys005t) uk US $8.50 Buy It Now 3h 49m
Bob Crosby & The Bobcats 1939 Camel Caravan Shows CD Harlequin Recs US $12.78 Buy It Now 3h 54m
CARAVAN - PLACE OF MY OWN: THE COLLECTION CD ALBUM (March 31st 2014) US $6.80 Buy It Now 4h 9m
HAJI MIKE / DUB CARAVAN - VIRTUAL OASIS NEW CD US $18.71 Buy It Now 4h 16m
Tex Williams & Wester Caravan Ocean Waves / Texas Star Square Dance 12" 78 US $14.95 Buy It Now 4h 17m
Tex Williams Western Caravan Ocean A&E Rag / Rakes of Mallow Square Dance 12" 78 US $14.95 Buy It Now 4h 17m
CARAVAN (1st LP w/U.S. & UK Sleeves) JAPAN Mini LP/SHM-CD NEW/SEALED (16 Trax) US $29.99 Buy It Now 5h 17m
THE HOUSEMARTINS - Caravan of love 7" single - Excellent condition US $6.46 Buy It Now 5h 35m
Speed Caravan - Kalashnik Love [CD New] US $19.14 Buy It Now 5h 36m
Caravan - Caravan & The New Symphonia [CD New] US $15.17 Buy It Now 5h 37m
Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over Again Remas NEW CD US $8.37 Buy It Now 5h 46m
ISLEY JASPER ISLEY caravan of love A6612 uk epic 1985 7" PS EX/VG+ US $12.30 Buy It Now 5h 52m
JOE D'URSO & STONE CARAVAN - CAUSE NEW CD US $21.81 Buy It Now 5h 58m
CARAVAN - AND THE NEW SYMPHONIA 2001 REMASTERED JAPAN MINI LP CD US $34.07 Buy It Now 6h 16m
CARAVAN - CUNNING STUNTS 2001 REMASTERED JAPAN MINI LP CD US $34.07 Buy It Now 6h 16m
Vaugh Montow Caravan "45" US $9.99 [0 bids]
Robin Trower Caravan To Midnight SEALED USA LP NO BARCODE US $27.99 [0 bids]
Mike Hale - Lives Like Mine LP - Suburban Home / Hometown Caravan - Rock US $9.01 [0 bids]
If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It, Caravan, New Original recording remas US $14.16 Buy It Now 7h 32m
SIR CHARLES (Blue Monday Caravan / Cooking With Cook) JAZZ 78 RPM RECORD US $16.00 Buy It Now 7h 33m
KENT HARIAN: Echoes Of Joy 1956 Caravan LP 15611 Mono LP AL COHN GIL EVANS Rare US $250.00 Buy It Now 7h 36m
American Caravan Volume 4~4 Track 3 3/4 IPS Reel to Reel Tape US $13.59 Buy It Now 8h 11m
Caravan - Quartet Kronos CD Music US $11.95 Buy It Now 8h 11m
THE HOUSEMARTINS, CARAVAN OF LOVE / WHEN I FIRST MET JESUS. ORIGINAL 1986 SINGLE US $1.69 [1 bids]
American Caravan Volume 4 7" Reel to Reel 4 Track US $14.39 Buy It Now 8h 16m
CARAVAN Cunning Stunts vinyl LP 1975 US $12.00 Buy It Now 8h 51m
NEW JOHN HOWARD GOSPEL CARAVAN i want to be holy LP SEALED modern soul gospel US $12.00 Buy It Now 8h 57m
Tex Williams and his Western Caravan 4 Record 78 RPM Set # AD 56,Polka ! US $12.00 Buy It Now 9h 8m
Jazz 45 FLIP PHILLIPS & MACHITO CARAVAN / FLYING HOME MERCURY ORANGE VINYL US $9.99 [0 bids]
Jalousie - Caravan dick contino Horace Heidt MA 500 US $2.97 [0 bids]
Cathedral - Caravan Beyond Redemption / Japan + 1 US $3.50 [1 bids]
CARAVAN ORCHESTRA--JEROME KERN DANCE ALBUM--CARAVAN 45 EP W/ PIC SLEEVE (1949) US $15.00 Buy It Now 9h 48m
HOUSEMARTINS CARAVAN OF LOVE NM USA 7in 45rpm INTL SHIP SLSH 63 ACL US $2.99 Buy It Now 9h 59m
The Show Of Our Lives: Live At The BBC 1968-1975 Caravan Audio CD US $20.14 Buy It Now 10h 3m
Esquire Boys 45 w/Danny Cedrone "Caravan" on Rainbow Records, 1950s instrumental US $4.99 [0 bids]
Caravan-Same-Verve Forecast 3066-NICE PROG US $49.99 Buy It Now 10h 15m
CARAVAN: A Hunting We Shall Go: Live In 1974 (rock & pop vinyl LP) US $35.00 Buy It Now 10h 23m
CRYSTAL CARAVAN: Against The Rising Tide LP (Sweden, gatefold cover, w/ insert US $25.00 Buy It Now 10h 29m
MILTON CROSS-Little Black Sambo-Kids 10" 78rpm G/VG Caravan Records Red Single US $17.99 Buy It Now 10h 42m
THE HOUSEMARTINS caravan of love GODX 16 uk go discs 1986 12" PS EX/EX US $15.32 Buy It Now 10h 48m
CHARLES HARRISON Tenor Where my caravan has rested 78 HMV B351 US $22.14 Buy It Now 11h 4m
Etowah 1001 Ann Simmons And The Reptiles/Dixie Caravan/Rare Rockabilly US $9.95 [0 bids]
SEALED LP~STEVEN GROSSMAN~Caravan Tonight~[Original 1974 MERCURY Issue]~ US $13.90 Buy It Now 11h 40m
HIDDEN HAND mother teacher ORIG VINYL 2-LP saint vitus spirit caravan obsessed US $29.99 [0 bids]
HIDDEN HAND divine propaganda ORIG VINYL LP saint vitus spirit caravan obsessed US $29.99 [2 bids]
Kronos Caravan by Kronos Quartet US $0.99 Buy It Now 11h 56m
2 LPs GEORGE SHEARING ON STAGE & CARAVAN 33 RPM VG COND. US $9.00 [0 bids]
CARAVAN - WATERLOO LILY - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $20.26 Buy It Now 12h 16m
INSPIRAL CARPETS - CARAVAN UK MAXI CD SINGLE E.P W/RARE B-SIDES US $8.50 Buy It Now 12h 28m
LYN VERNON - WOODCHOPPERS BALL/ CARAVAN - ROCKABILLY/ MEMPHIS BLUES 45RPM US $7.99 [0 bids]
REGGAE *SOCA*BLUE RHYTHM COMBO*CARAVAN*7"*VG+*CANADIAN ORIG. PRESS US $19.99 Buy It Now 12h 37m
Duke Ellington, Azure/Caravan, Master 131 US $15.00 [0 bids]
LP Record Charles Magnane "Caravan/Dark eyes" US $4.99 Buy It Now 13h 5m
Duke Ellington The One & Only CD Jump For Joy Caravan Perdido Blue Skies 12 TRAX US $2.99 Buy It Now 13h 13m
45 - EP - MGM Records - George Shearing Quintet - Caravan US $19.91 [0 bids]
Inspiral Carpets Caravan Cd Single US $10.21 Buy It Now 13h 18m
Frequency [Digipak] by Naked Rhythm (Worldbeat) (CD, Oct-2007, Caravan Records) US $0.99 [0 bids]
INSPIRAL CARPETS caravan 12" 3 trk promo b/w skidoo (pdung13t) uk mute 1991 US $8.50 Buy It Now 13h 42m
INSPIRAL CARPETS caravan 12" 3 trk b/w what noise rethink version and skidoo (du US $8.50 Buy It Now 13h 42m
PANTERA import cd PLANET CARAVAN free US shipping US $13.20 Buy It Now 14h 7m
ROBIN TROWER Caravan To Midnight LP EX US $5.99 [0 bids]
DUKE ELLINGTON CD THE GREAT LONDON CONCERTS Take the "A" Train, Caravan, Perdido US $0.01 [0 bids]
Astro Can Caravan - Planet Caravan EU CD NEW 2010 Finland Space-Age Jazz US $18.00 Buy It Now 14h 29m
DEJA VU (MID 90'S GROUP) messages 12" 4 trk blue riot mix b/w caravan dub, grins US $8.50 Buy It Now 14h 30m
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messangers Caravan LP microgroove Nice Reissue US $9.99 Buy It Now 14h 39m
CARAVAN For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night 1st US Press LONDON LP STERLING US $19.99 [0 bids]
Caravan to Midnight by Robin Trower 8 track tape tested US $5.00 Buy It Now 14h 58m
CARAVAN Blind Dog At St Dunstan's. Repertoire CD US $12.49 Buy It Now 15h 4m
CARAVAN Blind Dog At St. Dunstans. Repertoire CD MLPS US $18.99 Buy It Now 15h 4m
CARAVAN Cunning Stunts. Repertoire CD US $12.49 Buy It Now 15h 4m
CARAVAN Cunning Stunts. Repertoire CD Mini-LP Sleeve US $18.99 Buy It Now 15h 4m
MEDICINE BALL CARAVAN: Music From The Motion Picture soundtrack vinyl US $11.00 Buy It Now 15h 6m
Rare Stereo LP : Hot Rod Caravan ~ Great cars from coast to coast ~ Battle 96130 US $30.00 [0 bids]
7"-45rpm- Lafayettes- Caravan of Lonely Men /I Still Do-1962 RCA 47- 8082 US $4.99 Buy It Now 15h 13m
play of colour - Symphonic Caravan - Japan CD - NEW US $17.99 Buy It Now 15h 16m
Caravan For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night 1973 Psychedelic Rock London 637 US $49.80 Buy It Now 15h 47m
Ultimate Silk Road Album - Caravan New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $20.16 Buy It Now 15h 50m
Pantera - Planet Caravan (CD, Single, 1994) 4 Tracks European Release Fast Ship US $24.99 Buy It Now 15h 50m
Santana Caravan LP RECORD US $19.99 Buy It Now 15h 51m
Bunny Berigan EP Caravan/Prisoner's Song/I can't get started/Frankie US $9.99 Buy It Now 15h 53m
Tommy Scott's Country Caravan 60's Request Records SRLP 6027 RV Caravan Cover US $9.70 Buy It Now 15h 54m
Robin Trower: Caravan To Midnight LP VG++/NM Canada Chrysalis CHR-1189 US $3.99 Buy It Now 15h 56m
Live at the Fairfield Halls, 1974 by Caravan/new cd US $6.39 Buy It Now 16h 25m
Caravan - Trip in the music - Japan CD - NEW J-POP US $18.04 Buy It Now 16h 37m
ROBIN TROWER Caravan To Midnight / Victims Of The Fury. BGO CD James Dewar US $17.99 Buy It Now 16h 48m
Original Soundtrack/ Medicine Ball Caravan/ Warner Bros/ 1971/ Psych US $0.95 [0 bids]
Tiajuana Caravan - Self Titled CD RARE OOP US $1.00 Buy It Now 16h 53m
+ Oscarlima - Desert Caravan CD near mint! US $4.49 Buy It Now 17h 54m
Up, Bustle And Out "The Dance Of Caravan Summer" 1996 Ninja Tune, ZEN 1242 VG+ US $29.99 Buy It Now 17h 58m
CARAVAN**AND THE NEW SYMPHONIA**CD US $14.76 Buy It Now 18h 35m
## HOCTOR RECORDS - DANCIN' AT THE CARAVAN VOL. 7 LP DISCO FUNK BREAKS HLPS-4310 US $6.99 Buy It Now 18h 38m
NATIONAL HEALTH, Of Queues and Cures UK 1st pressing A1 matrix LP Egg Caravan US $38.99 Buy It Now 18h 39m
## HOCTOR RECORDS - DANCE CARAVAN SHOW TUNES LP DISCO FUNK BREAKS US $9.99 Buy It Now 19h 5m
CARAVAN, Caravan [MGM] UK A1 matrix EXCELLENT- LP US $83.99 Buy It Now 19h 15m

More places to buy CARAVAN music online Buy CARAVAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CARAVAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CARAVAN The Show Of Our Lives: Caravan At The BBC 1968-1975 ratings distribution

CARAVAN The Show Of Our Lives: Caravan At The BBC 1968-1975 reviews

Review by Raff
4 stars Even though I find there is little to add to James's flawless review, I cannot resist the temptation of expressing my own opinion on this magnificent release from one of my all-time favourite bands. "The Show of Our Lives" captures some sterling performances by a band who - in spite of the frequent line-up changes - were at the peak of their creativity and musicianship, and is therefore worth every one of the 21 euros I spent on it.

CD One starts with a couple of songs from Caravan's charming debut album, and features an interesting, 9-minute-plus version of Soft Machine's hit "Feelin', Reelin', Squeelin'". All these songs clearly show how the legendary 'Canterbury Sound' took its cue from psychedelia before moving into a more complex, challenging, jazz-tinged territory. Unlike the Softs, though, Caravan never lost sight of their pop roots, and effortlessly blended ambitious compositions with melody and accessibility. This CD contains both sides of the band - the poppier gems like the delightful Hello Hello or the quirky "In the Land of Grey and Pink", and the longer, more intricate tracks, powered by David Sinclair's trademark organ sound, such as "Nine Feet Underground" or "As I Feel I Die".

Unfortunately, one of the band's best songs ever (and my personal favourite) has been omitted from this compilation, which is a great pity: I'm referring to "Winter Wine", one of Richard Sinclair's finest lyrical and vocal moments. If I had to nitpick, I'd say that there are not enough tracks featuring Richard S.'s fluid, elegant bass lines and inimitable voice - just listen to his performance on "...Grey and Pink" or at the end of "Nine Feet Underground", and swoon in delight! Caravan did weather his loss by releasing the magnificent "For Girls Who Grow Plump" in the Night (their last great album, in my humble opinion), but never did as well in the vocal department, as is rather evident in most of the tracks on CD Two.

The second CD opens with the upbeat, light-hearted "Memory Lain Hugh/Headloss", and includes songs up to 1975's "Cunning Stunts". In spite of Richard Sinclair's departure, the band's instrumental power remained intact, and the addition of Geoff Richardson's viola proved to be a definite asset to their sound, as shown by the superb version of their classic "For Richard" (recorded in 1974), as well as two later masterpieces such as "A Hunting We Shall Go" (one of my all-time favourite instrumentals, and one of the highlights of the record) and the 15-minute-plus "The Dabsong Conshirtoe", with its energetic, driving finale.

To my mind, Caravan represent the triumph of songwriting at its best as opposed to the technical brilliance for its own sake which is so widespread in 'modern' prog. As this compilations proves, they could do 15-minute epics as well as 3-minute catchy, flawlessly crafted pop songs - something not many other bands of the Seventies could pull off equally well. "The Show of Our Lives" is a must for fans of the Canterbury sound, and a great introduction to the band for those who haven't yet had the pleasure of listening to them. All in all, a more than worthy addition to any prog record collection.

Send comments to Raff (BETA) | Report this review (#159134) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 19, 2008

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars The amazing thing about Caravan is just how much they recorded for the BBC, whether in radio sessions or live concerts, but even more amazing is that they keep on belting a few sessions every now and then. Released in 2007, TSOOL is yet another one of those release, a double disc affair for that matter, and still no overlapping from sessions and no sessions with doubtful (even if admitted and revealed) origins, such as the Green Bottles For Marjorie release. But if there are no repetition of sessions, I wouldn't exactly say that these recordings are absolutely essential if you already own one or two live records from the For Girls/Stunts era or own the other sessions from the original four.

I'm not going to go through all of the tracks, but it's quite pleasant to hear three from their debut album, including a rare Wilde Flowers/Soft Machine stunning tidbits Feelin, Squeezin' from a 71 session. Other rarities are the rarely heard Love To Love You, a vastly different Love Song With A Flute (Sinclair on electric piano) and an unfortunately abridged Grey & Pink track and 9 Ft Underground. The only thing not right about this first CD is the inclusion of a For Girls session. Why didn't they wait for the second dic as there was enough space.

That very second disc offering us a bunch of Richardson-era sessions, but not past the Stunts album. Of interest is the Love In Your Eyes with violin and the two new for the New Symphonia gig tracks as well as a For Richard, but most of these can be heard on the Fairfield Hall concert. Hell we even hear Pye answering Geoffrey's great violin runs in For Richard. One of the best versions of Dabsong Conshirtoe is also present on this disc.

Surprisingly, these BBC sessions are issued by Decca label instead of the HUX label, which has been handling BBC stuff for the last years. Anyway, those of you reading me for years now know I have a soft spot for Caravan, but this doesn't mean a fanboy and that I'm buying everything from them; quite on the contrary, I tend to be even more difficult with my fave artistes. So when I saw this, I hesitated less than 10 seconds, told myself, WTF and took it home, knowing I'll only have limited mileage on it. While I wouldn't call this essential at all for general progheads, if you're a Caravan fan, this is an absolute must for all of the great surprises.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#160128) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2008

4 stars 4.5 stars. This is a live double disc compilation recording of tracks done for the BBC. We get tracks from the debut right through to "Cunning Stunts" plus some that are from "Caravan & The New Symphonia" live album. Also we get a cover of a SOFT MACHINE track. The tracks are pretty much in chronological order. I have to say that the first disc is without a doubt a 5 star affair. It's freaking perfect really, every song is incredible. The second disc I would rate as a solid 4 stars record with a couple of tracks taken from the "Caravan & The New Symphonia" being simply average, and two songs from "Cunning Stunts" album that are also just okay.The rest of the second disc is amazing though.

I don't even know where to start with the first disc because I love every track on it. I have to mention the distorted organ which I guess is a trademark of the Canterbury sound, but it's nasty on these songs. It's interesting as me move along towards the end of the disc to hear the viola from Geoffrey Richardson, it certainly adds a new dynamic. I think the biggest surprise for me was the song "The Dabsong Conshirtoe" from "Cunning Stunts". I don't have that studio album and this song impressed me quite a bit, even if the other two from that album that are on here didn't.

For CARAVAN fans this is a must, for everyone else I would still highly recommend this live 1968-1975 live overview.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#481548) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Post a review of CARAVAN "The Show Of Our Lives: Caravan At The BBC 1968-1975"