IN THE ABSENCE OF PINK: KNEBWORTH 85

Live, released in 1991

Disc One:
1. Highway Star (6:57)
2. Nobody's Home (4:08)
3. Strange Kind Of Woman (8:47)
4. Gypsy's Kiss (6:20)
5. Perfect Strangers (6:54)
6. Lazy (7:03)
7. Knocking At Your Back Door (9:10)

Disc Two:
1. Difficult To Cure (9:23)
2. Space Truckin' (14:49)
3. Speed King (10:12)
4. Black Night (6:43)
5. Smoke On The Water (10:24)

Search DEEP PURPLE In The Absence Of Pink: Knebworth 85 lyrics

Search DEEP PURPLE In The Absence Of Pink: Knebworth 85 tabs

- Ritchie Blackmore / Guitars
- Ian Gillan / Vocals
- Roger Glover / Bass
- Jon Lord / Keyboards
- Ian Paice / Drums

Double Disc release. Recorded during the Knewborth music festival in 1985.
The title is taken from the words of Ian Gillan introducing a song. Referring to the rain and the technical problems that delayed the start of the set, he states "What we all need now is a tremendous amount of pink. But, in the absence of pink, here's some blues".

Thanks to Malve87 for the addition
and to Malve87 for the last updates

DEEP PURPLE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DEEP PURPLE In The Absence Of Pink: Knebworth 85 Music

Made in JapanMade in Japan
Warner Off Roster 1990
Machine HeadMachine Head
Warner Bros / Wea 1990
In Concert '72 (2012 Remix)In Concert '72 (2012 Remix)
Rhino/Parlophone 2014
StormbringerStormbringer
Remastered
Friday Music 2007
Who Do We Think We AreWho Do We Think We Are
Rhino 2002
DEEP PURPLE-"CALL OF THE WILD" 1987 U.K. ISSUE 12" SINGLE-NEAR MINT VINYL US $8.99 [0 bids]
32m 11s
DEEP PURPLE -Powerhouse TURKISH PRESSING LP US $50.00 Buy It Now 34m 52s
DEEP PURPLE-"PERFECT STRANGERS" SPECIAL MAXI VERSION-NEW 1984 GERMAN ISSUE 12" US $9.99 [0 bids]
35m 37s
~ DEEP PURPLE - PERFECT STRANGERS ~ MUSIC CD US $5.99 Buy It Now 39m 37s
DEEP PURPLE Mawazine Rabat CD US $25.00 [1 bids]
39m 39s
Fireball [Rhino 25th Anniversary Edition] [Remaster] by Deep Purple (CD,... US $5.99 [0 bids]
43m 41s
Alice Cooper,Deep Purple,Toto,Jethro Tull,Sweet,Billy Idol +More- SEALED U.S. cd US $8.97 Buy It Now 45m 48s
Deep Purple - Collection [EMI] (1997) US $4.08 Buy It Now 47m
DEEP PURPLE-"SHADES OF DEEP PURPLE" 1977 SWEDEN REISSUE LP-NEAR MINT VINYL US $8.99 [0 bids]
49m 51s
Deep Purple Machine Head 12" Vinyl LP (1972) Ex Copy Original US $26.90 [2 bids]
54m 36s
DEEP PURPLE & FRIENDS ~ SMOKE ON THE WATER CD NEW OOP US $9.99 Buy It Now 59m 41s
DEEP PURPLE ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA / JAPAN TOSHIBA ORIGINAL US $199.99 Buy It Now 1h
NINO TEMPO - DEEP PURPLE/SING THE GREAT SONGS - NEW CD US $9.45 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Deep Purple"Stormbringer" LP Rare Russian Press US $12.00 [0 bids]
Deep Purple "Smoke on the Water " LP NM- Rare Russian Press US $12.00 [0 bids]
Deep Purple "Machine Head" LP NM Rare Russian Press US $15.00 [0 bids]
Deep Purple "Smoke on the Water " LP NM- Rare Russian Press US $12.00 [0 bids]
Deep Purple "In Rock" LP UK Press NO EMI label US $20.00 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "Machine Head Burn" 2 in 1 CD US $9.99 [0 bids]
VG+ BILLY WARD DEEP PURPLE/STARDUST 45 RPM LIBERTY 54505 US $4.98 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Flyer: Deep Purple & Styx - 2007 UK Tour US $5.12 [0 bids]
DIO Lock Up The Wolves CD + 4 Bonus Rare RUS OOP Rainbow Elf Deep Purple US $11.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE 45 RPM "Hush" & "One More Rainy Day" G+ Condition US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Deep Purple - Dardanella The Three Suns RCA Victor 20-2357 US $2.97 [0 bids]
Deep Purple - Swing Low Sweet Charioy The Hi Lo's Columbia 9522 US $2.97 [0 bids]
WHITESNAKE Slip of the Tongue CD + 6 Bonus RUS OOP Rainbow Deep Purple US $11.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE IN ROCK 1ST PRESS ORANGE HARVEST SUPER RARE!!! LP ISRAEL US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
IAN GILLAN LARGE VINTAGE METAL PIN BADGE FROM THE 1970's DEEP PURPLE US $11.40 Buy It Now 1h 23m
KATIE MELUA Call Off The Search CD 3 Track B/w Shirt Of A Ghost And Deep Purple US $9.77 Buy It Now 1h 31m
URIAH HEEP Solisbury / Return To Fantasy RUS Rare OOP Deep Purple US $12.99 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP Demon and Wizards / High and Mighty RUS Rare OOP Deep Purple US $12.99 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP The Magician's Birthday / Innocent Victim RUS Rare OOP Deep Purple US $12.99 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP Look At Yourself / Firefly RUS Rare OOP Deep Purple US $12.99 [0 bids]
Last Kiss by Fandango (Joe Lynn Turner - Rainbow - Deep Purple, Demo LP) US $3.99 [0 bids]
URIAH HEEP Sweet Freedom / Fallen Angel RUS Rare OOP Deep Purple US $12.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE IN ROCK Recycled Vinyl LP Album Record Bowl (1970) US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Deep Purple Who Do We Think We Are Deluxe 180g Vinyl LP US $40.76 Buy It Now 1h 48m
DEEP PURPLE MADE IN EUROPE LP MADE IN BRAZIL ORIGINAL PRESSING 1976 GATEFOLD US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
DEEP PURPLE SINGLES A'S & B'S LP MADE IN BRAZIL FIRST PRESS 1971 US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
DEEP PURPLE WHO DO WE THINK WE ARE LP MADE IN BRAZIL 1st PRESS 1973 GATEFOLD US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Deep Purple Fireball Limited Edition Gatefold 180g LP++ US $40.76 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Deep Purple Slaves and Masters Limited 180gram Audiophile Vinyl LP US $40.76 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Deep Purple/House of Blue Light+ Led Zeppelin Coda Cassettes US $1.99 [0 bids]
BLACKMORE'S NIGHT Winter Carols CD Ritchie Blackmore Deep Purple New Sealed US $5.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE:BLACK NIGHT/SPEED KING:(HARVEST 1970) VGC/EX US $22.82 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Deep Purple The Early Years UK Advance 15-Trak Promo CD US $18.99 Buy It Now 1h 54m
DEEP PURPLE - When We Rock, We Rock and When We Roll, We Roll US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 57m
APRIL STEVENS~NINO TEMPLE Deep Purple '63 ATCO 1st PRESS ORIG ROCK JAZZ LP NMint US $18.74 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Deep Purple Nobody's Perfect 1988 Exc.Con. (2) LPS.LP Album Vinyl (234) LIKE NEW US $13.99 Buy It Now 2h
Ian Gillan Band - 2 x LPs - child in time + clear air turbulence - deep purple US $8.14 [0 bids]
40 Party Classics [2CDs] JAMES BROWN BAD COMPANY DEEP PURPLE LYNYRD SKYNYRD US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 11m
TOMMY BOLIN "Private Eyes" (CD, 2008 Columbia) [Deep Purple/James Gang/Zephyr] US $7.95 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Japan 45rpm 7" Single w PC / Deep Purple / Black Night / NM US $4.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE**FIREBALL (GATEFOLD/180 GRAM)**VINYL US $29.95 Buy It Now 2h 20m
DEEP PURPLE-Machine Head-LP-Purple/EMI Records Australian issue-G/Fold-TPSA 7504 US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Deep Purple-In Concert,1970-72 US $11.00 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Japan 33rpm G/F 12" Record With Obi / Deep Purple / Machine Head / Rainbow / NM US $10.50 [2 bids]
LP- Erroll Garner- Deep Purple- Pickwick- in shrink wrap US $3.50 [0 bids]
Japan 33rpm G/F 12" 2LP Records With Obi / Deep Purple / Live In Japan / NM US $9.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE DEEPEST PURPLE 1980 HARVEST EMTV 25 A-2 / B-3 EXCELLENT+ CONDITION US $19.56 Buy It Now 2h 25m
1968 ORIGINAL PRESSING SEALED! Deep Purple "Book Of Taliesyn" LP US $68.00 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Japan 33rpm 12" Record With Obi / Deep Purple / Made In Europe / NM US $9.99 [1 bids]
Japan 33rpm 12" Record With Obi / Deep Purple / Last Concert In Japan / NM US $10.50 [2 bids]
IAN GILLAN-Naked Thunder-HARD-Rock-HEAVY METAL-Black Sabbath-DEEP PURPLE-Guitar US $7.49 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Japan 33rpm 12" Record With Obi / Whitesnake / Saints An' Sinners / Deep Purple US $9.99 [1 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Golden Ballads 2013 2CD set NEW US $19.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE **MACHINE HEAD** RARE UK 1972 FIRST PRESSING A - 1U US $91.34 [17 bids]
Japan 45rpm 7" Single w PC / Rainbow / All Night Long / Deep Purple / NM US $4.99 [0 bids]
TOMMY BOLIN Private Eyes ROCK LP COLUMBIA 1B, 2D Matrix DEEP PURPLE US $3.00 [0 bids]
Live And Heavy (Deep Purple, Motorhead, Rainbow) - Vinyl LP NM US $13.99 Buy It Now 3h
RARE DEEP PURPLE **BURN** FIRST PRESSING PURPLE LABEL TPS3505 UK 1974 NEAR MINT US $6.85 [2 bids]
45 rpm Deep Purple "One More Rainy Day"/"Hush" US $8.56 [0 bids]
Shades of DEEP PURPLE 1968-1998 Rhino 1999 Deluxe Oop 4 CD Box 70s US $43.16 Buy It Now 3h 13m
DEEP PURPLE SMOKE ON THE WATER 2 CD US $29.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE-IN CONCERT 72 CD NEW US $13.50 Buy It Now 3h 22m
DEEP PURPLE-MADE IN JAPAN CD NEW US $13.50 Buy It Now 3h 22m
DEEP PURPLE 4DVD+Book Around The World Live Box Japan NEW VABG-1318/21 US $64.19 [0 bids]
Deep Purple Who Do We Think We Are LP sealed 180 gm vinyl FridayMusic RE US $26.98 Buy It Now 3h 26m
DEEP PURPLE "MACHINE HEAD" 1972 CLASSIC STEREO ALBUM WB RECORDS BS 2607 US $20.00 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE**MADE IN JAPAN (GATEFOLD/180 GRAM)**2 VINYL SET US $37.95 Buy It Now 3h 30m
Deep Purple - Friends & Relatives - New 2-CD Set in Original Wrap - Never Opened US $22.00 Buy It Now 3h 41m
DEEP PURPLE Machine Head Vinyl Lp TPSA 7504 A1/B1Matrix Purple Records Germany US $32.54 Buy It Now 3h 43m
IAN GILLAN ROGER GLOVER LP RECORD *ACCIDENTALLY ON PURPOSE*deep purple NM US $4.99 [0 bids]
WHITESNAKE LP- LIVE IN THE HEART OF THE CITY - NM! DEEP PURPLE! FREE DOM. S US $8.95 Buy It Now 3h 51m
DEEP PURPLE - WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE LP US $16.99 Buy It Now 3h 52m
DEEP PURPLE 3CD+T-shirt BOX Deepest Trilogy BOX Japan NEW Limited 500 Copies US $128.39 [0 bids]
Deep Purple~Deepest Purple:Very Best~lp vinyl record Warner Records PRK 3486 US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 20m
45 RPMBilly Ward and his Dominoes Do It Again/Deep Purple 092312EL US $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 23m
Deep Purple machine Head SACD Super Audio CD Hybrid EXCELLENT CONDITION RARE OOP US $60.00 Buy It Now 4h 27m
DEEP PURPLE Stormbringer Japan CD OBI '89 20P2-2609 1st press US $23.18 [9 bids]
Deep Purple 25th Japan Promo Press Release Blackmore US $99.99 Buy It Now 4h 35m
DEEP PURPLE Battle Rages On JAPAN CD NEW BLU SPEC 2 BSCD2 SICP-30386 US $20.99 Buy It Now 4h 37m
Jerusalem-same UK prog psych cd Deep Purple produced US $13.99 Buy It Now 4h 38m
Blackmore Night Japan Promo Press Release Deep Purple US $99.99 Buy It Now 4h 42m
DEEP PURPLE~Purple Passages 2 LP~1972~Orig Green WB Label~NM-!! US $7.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple~Who Do We Think We Are LP~1973~Orig Green WB Label~Insert~Nice! US $2.49 [0 bids]
MACHINE HEAD - DEEP PURPLE CD US $3.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE IN ROCK Original 1970 WS 1877 olive label gatefold 1st press LP US $19.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - Strange Kind of Woman 45 w/ PS - French Harvest - I'm Alone US $23.99 Buy It Now 4h 47m
Deep Purple Mark 1 & 2 w/ Hush /Hey Joe / Help / Speed King Vinyl LP US $12.75 Buy It Now 4h 48m

More places to buy DEEP PURPLE music online Buy DEEP PURPLE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DEEP PURPLE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DEEP PURPLE In The Absence Of Pink: Knebworth 85 ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(17%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(25%)

DEEP PURPLE In The Absence Of Pink: Knebworth 85 reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars For obvious reasons, Purple was one of the first bands I reviewed on PA together with Genesis and Yes (Led Zep was not yet available.).

To experience a live set of the band is always quite an experience (and I have seen them quite a few times in the last thirty-five years). As Ian will say after a couple of songs: It has been quite a long time. Indeed. Some twelve years between the end of Mark II and this Knebworth concert.

The band is in excellent shape: Gillan sounds very enthusiastic, Paice is as great as always, Blackmore is inspired, Glover is sustaining as much as he can and Lord is pumping these great sounds out of his organ as he has always done in the past. A keyboards machine, really.

This was the supporting tour of their very good reunion album Perfect Strangers released in 1984. But of course, the core of this live release is made of old songs as Gillan said.

This double CD set is clearly identifiable: the first one holds four new songs (out of seven) while the second one is made up of good old tunes. You might be surprised though about my feeling about the whole set.

Things start awesomely of course with Highway Star (one of my top three fave from Purple as you might know). Most of the new songs played are an excellent choice to keep the audience hot for older things to come.

Still, Gypsy's Kiss and Perfect Strangers belong to the best of this live album. There are of course two giant tracks from earlier times as well: Lazy with no Lord's fantasy to start with. It is more in the vein of the studio track in comparison with most live Purple performances.

The second old song has been made famous with Made In Japan. From a very good hard-rock single, Purple made a live anthem out of it. Strange Kind Of Woman is one of the best live call and response I have ever seen between guitar and vocals. The other one is of course the mighty Led Zep in several exercises of the same type. IMHHO, none have been equalled.

Even if a good chunk of this special passage is dedicated to Jesus-Christ Superstar and some sort of karaoke (at this time of their career, this call & response was better known in the UK than in 1972 by the Japanese audience who discovered the band for what became one of the major live album of the rock history). This is always a great live moment.

Now, when you look at the track list of the second CD, you might think: let's skip the first CD and get concentrated on the second one. Well, I would say that it is the wrong feeling after you have effectively listened to it.

This part of the set is the most self-indulgent one. Over-extended solo (like they used to play in the early seventies) and a very shouting Gillan (too much actually).

Since MIJ, we were used to a long Space Truckin which was not really my cup of tea. This version is only fourteen minutes long, but the jam which takes place after the official part is just noisy IMO. And the same applies to half of the great Speed King from In Rock. There is a rare wink to a non- Gillan song in here: a short riff from Burn which Gillan always refused to sing (unfortunately).

Half of this Black Night could have been skipped and the closing Smoke. is an example of what it is going to be for the next twenty years: a long Karaoke exercise which has never been of my liking. I usually just shut up while attending.

In all, it is pleasant to hear that the band is happy again to be on stage together but I can't be laudatory about it. It remains a good live album, but there are many better Purple ones.

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#183480) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Review by tarkus1980
4 stars A much better live album than surrounding circumstances would have suggested this should have been. There are four tracks from PS, but at least two of them are "Knocking at Your Back Door" and the title track (here called "Perfect Street Rangers"), which are done extremely well (the other two are "Nobody's Home" and "Gypsy's Kiss," neither of which are done extremely well, though at least the latter has a bluesy intro). As for the older stuff, there are some of the expected problems, but they're much less prominent than you'd think (in other words, Nobody's Perfect this is not). Gillan, for instance, sounds surprisingly decent; he sounds a bit like a yelping dog in "Strange Kind of Woman," but he manages the high notes in "Highway Star" alright, and his vocals overall manage to sound way, way less creaky than they did on PS.

It's not just a competent Gillan that makes me give this a very good grade. The band is extremely tight, and furthermore shows that it hadn't lost the spirit of its peak 70's performances. In other words, whereas in a few years, "Space Truckin'" would be reduced to a five-minute "greatest hits" runthrough, here it's a good fifteen minutes, with a snippet of Ravel's "Bolero" thrown into the extended coda for good measure. "Speed King" also gets a surprising extension, with Ritchie pulling out the riffs to "Burn" and "Land of a Thousand Dances" (!) while Ian sings "Not Fade Away." Heck, they even do an instrumental version of an old Rainbow number ("Difficult to Cure"), and while I'm largely unfamiliar with Rainbow and thus am not completely sure which parts are faithful to the number and which parts are the band goofing around, I'm moderately amused at the way it's based around "Ode to Joy."

Sheesh, and did I mention yet that Ritchie is on fire in this concert? I don't mean it in the technically great but sterile way of Nobody's Perfect either, I mean on a level that's at least, I dunno, 80% of the intensity level found on Japan, which is sufficient to make this one hell of a Ritchie performance. And heck, this is the second best "Lazy" I've ever heard (first is from the In Concert double CD), not in the least because of Ritchie (it also helps that the obligatory Paice solo is short, heh).

Basically, this is just a fun, spirited performance. Ian can't keep a straight face, for instance, when he tries to introduce "Speed King" as a ballad and as the slowest, most agonizingly depressing song they'd ever done; that feeling of goofy levity, staring in the face of non-stop rain and gloomy weather, is something I can feel throughout the concert, and that's a positive. What it kinda reminds me of, actually, is a bootleg I have of the first Yes concert of the Rabin era; the band is mildly uncertain and on edge, but this translates into the band working its collective tail off, and that ever-present sense of effort makes the album a very fun listen. Undoubtedly, this is my favorite post-70's release of the Mk 2.x lineup, and I happily recommend it.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#573735) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Review by Gatot
3 stars It has always been my habit whenever I had so many things to listen with prog music, I sometimes swithced to Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath for a change. This time I pick this live album by Deep Purple for one simple reason: I want to experience what it's like to have Difficult to Cure being played here with Made In Japan line-up - for most people this line-up is the best for the band. As usual, whenever I listen to the vintage rock music my mind always return back to the glory days of rock music in the seventies especially when I spin the first three tracks of Disc 1. The first track is quite different with any live setup the band made i.e the inclusion of Beethoven's The Fifth at the opening of Highway Star. Well, it sounds funny but it gives new experience to me, it's like listening to Deep Purple with Yes nuance because it connects me to having an experience listening to Yessongs where it has Firebird Suite at the opening of the show.

At the third track Strange Kind of Woman I find something really similar with the one the band performed in Made In Japan on the beginning part of the song. But when the music flows, it has portion of Jesus Christ Superstar with Gillan singing on it combined with legendary solo guitar by Ritchie and Paice drumming. Then it came the duo of vocal and guitar with Gillan's scream and Ritchie's guitar work. It creates great listening experience as the live vibes sound like around us while listening to this record.

'Difficult to Cure' is an adaptation of Beethoven's 'Ode to Joy' from the 9th Symphony and was recorded by Blackmore's Rainbow some years earlier. It makes this record special as it was more on Rainbow stuff than Deep Purple. But I am not surprised as Ritchie also brought together with him the blues rock guitar solo he performed in Rainbow On Stage record here under Gypsy's Kiss on Disc One as well.

Well, it's a very good live record and it reminds me back to the glory days of rock in the seventies even though the audio quality is not that good It's OK as I only need the live vibes and excellent performance by the band. There are many improvisations demonstrated by the band members especially Ritchie, Jon and Ian. Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#752667) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 13, 2012

Post a review of DEEP PURPLE "In The Absence Of Pink: Knebworth 85"