BLACK NIGHT/SPEED KING

- Jon Lord / organ, keyboards
- Ian Paice / drums

UK May 1970 Harvest HAR 5020 [7" single]
US June 1970 Warner Bros [7" single]

Thanks to easy livin for the addition

DEEP PURPLE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DEEP PURPLE Black Night/Speed King Music

Rhino Flashback 2008
NOW What?!NOW What?!
Deluxe Edition · CD+DVD · Extra tracks
Eagle Rock Entertainment 2013
In Concert '72 (2012 Remix)In Concert '72 (2012 Remix)
Rhino/Parlophone 2014
Machine HeadMachine Head
Rhino Flashback 2011
Hard Road: The Mark 1 Studio Recordings '1968-69'Hard Road: The Mark 1 Studio Recordings '1968-69'
Imports 2014
Made in JapanMade in Japan
Warner Off Roster 1990
Deep Purple machine Head SACD Super Audio CD Hybrid EXCELLENT CONDITION RARE OOP US $60.00 Buy It Now 35m 59s
Luis Arcaraz & His Orchestra 45 Deep Purple/Gelatine Merengue RCA Victor 476690 US $2.40 Buy It Now 38m 14s
Deep Purple - New Live & Rare Vol. 2 CD Mini LP Sleeve JAPAN NEW SEALED US $16.99 [0 bids]
38m 26s
David Rose- Deep Purple LP US $12.04 Buy It Now 39m 26s
Deep Purple Vinyl Records Lot US $55.00 [0 bids]
44m 8s
DEEP PURPLE In Concert 2 CD SEALED NEW US $13.98 Buy It Now 44m 54s
Deep Purple in Concert, 70/72, 2-CD (Japan) US $25.99 [0 bids]
52m 52s
Deep Purple vinyl LP album record Who Do We Think We Are - 1st + Insert GERMAN US $24.91 [0 bids]
52m 59s
PHENOMENA ? Dream Runner Japan CD OBI '94 Deep Purple Whitesnake Thin Lizzy US $20.50 [10 bids]
55m 47s
DEEP PURPLE: Who Do We Think We Are WLP PROMO LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h
Now What?! by Deep Purple (CD, 2013, Eagle Records (USA)) US $6.50 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Mk III: The Final Concerts by Deep Purple (CD, Aug-2011, 2 Discs, Eagle Rock... US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 25m
DEEP PURPLE perfect stranger LP Record 1984 VG US $24.98 Buy It Now 1h 25m
DEEP PURPLE Japan 400 yen Mark ORIGINAL NM 7"45 BLACK NIGHT US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Deep Purple in Rock LP, Near Mint Condition, WS 1877, WEA Music, NR US $21.00 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Japan 1974 NM 7"45 BURN US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Shades of Deep Purple by Deep Purple (CD, 2000, Eagle) US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m
DEEP PURPLE Japan 1975 NM 7"45 YOU KEEP ON MOVING US $59.99 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Live at Montreaux Audio Collection 2 CD Deep Purple Yes James Brown Dr. John New US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Deep Purple Lady double dealer Japan US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 58m
When We Rock, We Roll - Deep Purple Cassette 1978, Warner Bros. US $4.00 [0 bids]
Alice Cooper Deep Purple Edgar Winter Jefferson Airplane -qty 5- 8 track set US $4.49 [0 bids]
Billy Ward: Deep Purple / Do It Again 7" 45 VG+ Canada US $0.99 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Deep Purple Strange kind of woman Promo Blue Japan US $169.99 Buy It Now 2h 11m
When We Rock, We Rock & When We Roll, We Roll by Deep Purple (CD, Oct-1988,... US $2.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - PERFECT STRANGERS 12" PICTURE DISC #POLHP 16 w/NOT RESPONSIBLE US $29.99 [0 bids]
INSTRUMENTAL 45 RPM - EARL BOSTIC - KING 4674 - "DEEP PURPLE" + "SMOKE RINGS" US $7.50 Buy It Now 2h 35m
DEEP PURPLE MUSIC ALBUM , WHEN WE ROCK W/ COVER 1978 US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 45m
DEEP PURPLE lot of 7 hard rock classic heavy metal music cassettes US $27.00 Buy It Now 2h 57m
RAINBOW - ON STAGE 2 X LP EXCELLENT DIO DEEP PURPLE US $12.00 Buy It Now 3h 3m
Smoke on the Water: The Best Of by Deep Purple (CD, Apr-2001, Flashback Records) US $3.57 Buy It Now 3h 25m
1998 Deep Purple Smoke On The Water Music CD Album Polygram Records 10 Tracks US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Deep Purple - Perfect Stranger - 12" Promo Single - LP Vinyl Record - VF US $11.65 Buy It Now 3h 35m
RAINBOW 'BENT OUT OF SHAPE' 1983 HEAVY ROCK VINYL LP + INSERT *DEEP PURPLE RLTD* US $9.35 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE the early years JAPAN MINI LP CD SEALED US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 39m
Deep Purple - Call Of The Wild/Strangeways - UK Picture Sleeve PS 7" US $6.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple - Burn/Might Just Take... - 1974 Japanese Picture Sleeve PS 7" US $19.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple - Lady Double Dealer - 1974 Japanese Picture Sleeve PS 7" US $29.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE 'Made In Japan' 2CD US $16.79 Buy It Now 3h 43m
DEEP PURPLE MACHINE HEAD SQ LP RECORD 12" GATEFOLD QUAD w/INNER US $37.40 Buy It Now 3h 51m
Deep Purple-Progression [Australian Import] CD Excellent US $11.83 Buy It Now 3h 52m
DEEP PURPLE 'Who Do We Think We Are' CD US $18.66 Buy It Now 3h 55m
Deep Purple - Highway Star/Strange... - Japanese Picture Sleeve PS 7" US $24.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - MADE IN JAPAN, 2014 SUPER DELUXE 4CD + DVD + 7" BOX SET, SEALED US $180.00 Buy It Now 4h 2m
DEEP PURPLE 'Come Taste The Band' CD US $15.85 Buy It Now 4h 4m
DEEP PURPLE 'Burn' CD 30TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION US $37.37 Buy It Now 4h 10m
BREAKING THE WAVES cd SOUNDTRACK elton john T-REX deep purple BACH roxy cohen US $8.99 [0 bids]
When We Rock, We Rock & When We Roll, We Roll by Deep Purple (CD, Oct-1988,... US $0.99 [0 bids]
78RPM Jamboree 903 Don Byas, Deep Purple / Them There Eyes strong V US $16.95 Buy It Now 4h 22m
Deep Purple - Black Night/Living Wreck - German 45 rpm 7" single US $4.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple - Highway Star/Lazy - Japanese 45 rpm Picture Sleeve PS 7" US $18.99 [0 bids]
CHILDREN OF MEN soundtrack CD deep purple DONOVAN john lennon JARVIS COCKER ost US $9.99 [0 bids]
Vintage Warner Deep Purple Promotion 45 'Never Before' 'When a Blind Man Cries' US $2.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple / The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra LP Original Stereo 1970 Opeth US $4.00 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE THE BOOK OF TALIESYN MEGA RARE WHITE LABEL TETRAGRAMMATON T-107 NM US $33.24 Buy It Now 5h 15m
Black Sabbath - Born Again LP Ian Gillian/Deep Purple US $10.00 [0 bids]
Huge 9 Lot DEEP PURPLE NEW DVDs, cassettes, LPs 1970s 1980s Unique collection US $43.00 [0 bids]
NINO TEMPO & APRIL STEVENS-DEEP PURPLE VG US $2.00 Buy It Now 5h 27m
DEEP PURPLE IN CONCERT LIVE IN LONDON NEW LIVE & RARE JAPAN 4 CD BOXSET 6000yen US $259.99 Buy It Now 5h 41m
JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR-GILLAN-DEEP PURPLE- 2 LP RUSSIAN MINT SUPERB! US $19.99 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Deep Purple Stormbringer Warner Bros. 2832 Sealed Stock Copy 1974 Pressing Mint US $75.00 Buy It Now 5h 46m
DEEP PURPLE - COME TASTE THE BAND. JAPAN.OBI US $11.50 [3 bids]
DEEP PURPLE gemini suite live JAPAN MINI LP CD RITCHIE BLACKMORE ROGER GLOVER US $17.99 Buy It Now 5h 57m
2005 Legends Deep Purple CD Philippines sealed US $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 3m
Deep Purple 1974 Japan Laser Disc Sealed ! Whitesnake US $49.99 Buy It Now 6h 11m
Whitesnake DAVID COVERDALE Love is EUROPE PROMO CD single USA Seller DEEP PURPLE US $24.99 Buy It Now 6h 39m
TOMMY BOLIN RECORD private eyes LP james gang Deep Purple VgVg SHIPS US FREE '76 US $12.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple Come Hell Japan Laser Disc Sealed w Sticker US $69.99 Buy It Now 6h 43m
Deep Purple - Machine Head: (VG), Vinyl Record, Rock, 1970's, Lp, 12" US $4.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple: Nobody's Perfect (CD, Mercury) US $7.95 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE-KNOCKINGáATáYOURáBACKáDOORá-áJAPAN CD Ltd/Ed B43 US $14.50 Buy It Now 7h 19m
DEEP PURPLE THE HOUSE OF BLUE LIGHT MELODIYA WHITE LABEL US $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 43m
Deep Purple - Sarah Vaughan 45 RPM Extended Play record 1951 Nice Cover! SEE! US $7.99 Buy It Now 7h 56m
DEEP PURPLE Self Titled CD 1996 Power Sound Records Black Sabbath Rainbow rock US $12.99 Buy It Now 8h 12m
* DEEP PURPLE THE BOOK OF TALIESYN / JAPAN MINI LP CD K2HD US $34.99 Buy It Now 8h 15m
DEEP PURPLE POWERHOUSE RECORD 12" LP US $19.63 Buy It Now 8h 22m
Deep Purple 4 Lp Lot! Purple Passages! Made In Japan!! US $18.00 Buy It Now 8h 26m
Blackmore's Night Dancer and the Moon (Deluxe Edition) CD+ DVD DEEP PURPLE US $11.99 Buy It Now 8h 36m
DEEP PURPLE In Rock Japan Obi MINT!!!! Earlier P-8020W!!! RARE US $40.00 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - IN CONCERT WITH LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA 2 CD - JAPAN CD !!! US $13.99 Buy It Now 8h 59m
This Time Around: Live in Tokyo '75 by Deep Purple - 2004 CD/ Hard Rock .. US $18.99 Buy It Now 9h 3m
DEEP PURPLE -MADE IN JAPAN [DELUXE EDITON]-JAPAN 2 CD G35 zd US $33.99 Buy It Now 9h 5m
DONNY AND MARIE OSMOND "DEEP PURPLE" EX COND. US $2.14 Buy It Now 9h 17m
Live at the Olympia '96 by Deep Purple (CD, Jun-1997, 2 Discs, Emi CD) US $14.62 Buy It Now 9h 42m
DEEP PURPLE Machine Head Japan Obi MINT!!!! Earlier P-8224W!!! RARE US $40.00 [0 bids]
Abandon by Deep Purple (CD, Jun-1998, EMI Switzerland, Made in Holland) US $6.99 [2 bids]
DEEP PURPLE In Rock UK 1st Harvest LP 1970 Rare No EMI Box A2/B1 Free Shipping ! US $119.95 Buy It Now 10h
DEEP PURPLE (Mk III) - LIVE IN LONDON LP - HARVEST RARE UK - SHSP 4124 - A1/B1 US $13.27 [0 bids]
NINO TEMPO & APRIL STEVENS 45 RPM ATCO 45-6281 DEEP PURPLE & CARRYING A TORCH US $3.25 Buy It Now 10h 2m
Deep Purple - Live In Paris 1975 CD UMGD/EAGLE RECORDS US $21.59 Buy It Now 10h 4m
Deep Purple - Last Concert In Japan 180gm Vinyl [Vinyl New] US $27.97 Buy It Now 10h 6m
DEEP PURPLE - DEEPEST PURPLE THE VERY BEST OF ROCK VINYL LP L@@K 13C US $4.97 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - SLAVES AND MASTERS (CD 1990) Very good condition, like new US $9.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple & Friends : Still Rockin at Their.. CD (2007) US $6.84 Buy It Now 10h 51m
DEEP PURPLE Total Abandon Live Australia 99 CD NEW US $9.88 Buy It Now 11h 37m
DEEP PURPLE - MADE IN JAPAN 1972 DOUBLE ALBUM US $33.20 [0 bids]
Roger Glover (Deep Purple) - Mask Vinyl Lp US $26.19 Buy It Now 12h 3m
DEEP PURPLE Machine Head "EX" Japan LP 1972 P-1030W US $7.14 [0 bids]
RAINBOW Death Alley Driver MEGA RARE DUTCH+ PS Deep Purple 7" 1982 US $99.95 [0 bids]
GILLAN GLOVER / DEEP PURPLE-ACCIDENTALLY ON PURPOSE 1988 ALBUM ROCK US $2.16 [0 bids]

More places to buy DEEP PURPLE music online Buy DEEP PURPLE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DEEP PURPLE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DEEP PURPLE Black Night/Speed King ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(53%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(40%)

DEEP PURPLE Black Night/Speed King reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Now then guys and gals, here's a huge hit single

"Black night" was recorded during the sessions which resulted in the "In rock" album, but became a non album single when it was released in advance of the album (bizarrely, it was included on the Mexican release of "In rock"). Thus this was the first studio recording by the band's best know (mark II) line up to be made commercially available.

The song reflects the growing aspirations of Blackmore, Lord and Paice to move in a more rock orientated direction, a desire which led to the departure of Rod Evans and Nick Simper after the previous "Deep Purple" album. The new boys, Glover and Gillan add their stamp to the song the composition of which is democratically credited to all five band members. Gillan's vocals are far better suited to the heavy rock sound the band had adopted than Evans, the song being driven along by the newly formed Glover/Paice powerhouse. The basic riff of the song is as familiar as the legendary "Smoke on the water", the lyrics being suitably dark but irrelevant.

The band clearly captured the mood of the singles buying public at the time, the song bepoming a huge top 3 hit in the UK. It was around this time that bands such as Black Sabbath, Free, and 10 Years After all enjoyed significant singles chart success, consequently the UK airwaves were for a time full of fine music.

The B-side would become the opening track on the forthcoming LP, which quickly became the band's most successful album to date.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#143790) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 12, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
5 stars I usally do not review singles but this one is so special to me.

December 1970. Almost twelve years old.

"Parano´d", "Whole Lotta Love", "See Me, Feel Me" and "Black Night". These four singles were purchased on the same Wednesday afternoon (school finished at noon and I used to go and buy records before going home).

These songs are still ones of my favourites. Nothing prog here of course; but so great music.

I couldn't imagine how much Purple would influence my young life (as the other three bands of course). When the band had finished with the "In Rock" sessions, the managers of the Harvest label were very enthusiastic about what they had heard, but there was something missing, in their opinion. A song for a single release.

OK, said the band. You're going to get it. They sat together for about two hours but couldn't get anything. So, they went out to a pub and stayed there for a while. Roger & Ritchie went back to the studio and the latter started jamming. It sounded very good to Roger and Ritchie told him : "It is borrowed from Summertime - Ricky Nelson". "You can't use that" said Roger. Ritchie replied : "Why not? Have you ever heard of it" said Ritchie ? Roger said "No". And Ritchie to conclude : "Fine" !

Ian Gillan said later : "We borrowed the title from the words of an old Arthur Alexander song. We stole the tempo from On The Road Again (Canned Heat). Roger and I sat trying to write the most banal lyrics we could think of".

And here you go for "Black Night". Their highest ranking in the UK charts!

My original copy had a black cover with just the song name in white (while "Speed King" was written in yellow). It was more in line with the title of the song than the one featured here.

"Black Night" is of course one of the anthems of the band. They still play it during their concerts (the last time I saw them was in May 2007, some thirty four years after my first Purple concert). There is an excellent and longer version available on the 25th anniversary edition of "In Rock" with more guitar solo.

What is extraordinary about this single is also its B-side. I played it as much as the A-side actually. It was one of the first song of "In Rock" (October 69) in gestation, while the superb and heavy intro was first cut in November. The first version was with a piano (also available, but remixed on the fanstastic 25th year anniversary version of the album). The version available here is the organ one.

This song is another Purple jewel. They could extend it to over fifteen minutes during their live sets and it also belongs to my beloved Purple song.

The quotation for the "Black Night" story are available on the liner notes of the special "In Rock" edition.

As a single this one deserves five stars. Thanks Bob for the entry. It reminds me great souvenirs.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#157488) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Review by Guillermo
4 stars Yes. As a previous reviewer wrote, "Black Night" was added to the Mexican version of the "In Rock" album. But I also have it in a 45 R.P.M. Extended Play, also released in Mexico, which also includes "Speed King", "Living Wreck" and "Into the Fire" taken from the In Rock album.

"Black Night" is one of the signature songs from this band, I think. One of the earliest International hits of the band in their second line-up, it is powerful, with very good drums by Ian Paice, a very good guitar solo and a very good distorted organ solo, plus very good bass and great lead vocals. It has all the characterisitic ingredients of the second line-up of this band which was more heavy than the first line-up of the band. I played this song with a covers band in the early eighties. I have to recognize that it was hard to try to play all the drums parts like Ian Paice does!

"Speed King" is a faster song, still heavy and good. Here Gillan`s vocals are also very good. I don`t remember the lyrics very well, but maybe they could talk about the use of some substances...but I could be wrong!

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#161331) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 09, 2008

Review by Chris S
5 stars I cannot state highly enough as to the high class quality release this single release is! Coming off the Deep Purple in Rock album it is one of those rare singles that offer classic tunes ' both sides' of the border. Personally I think ' Speed king' is the better song but 'Black Night' is also a great song. Ian Gillan is in fine form. One of those classic releases that sadly has not stood up to the test of time in my 45rpm collective. For collectors of singles for this era, you will already have this.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#161611) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Post a review of DEEP PURPLE "Black Night/Speed King"