BLACK NIGHT/SPEED KING

- Jon Lord / organ, keyboards
- Ian Paice / drums

UK May 1970 Harvest HAR 5020 [7" single]
US June 1970 Warner Bros [7" single]

Thanks to easy livin for the addition

DEEP PURPLE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DEEP PURPLE Black Night/Speed King Music

Rhino Flashback 2011
Perfect StrangersPerfect Strangers
Remastered · Extra tracks
Mercury 1999
In Concert '72 (2012 Remix)In Concert '72 (2012 Remix)
Rhino/Parlophone 2014
BurnBurn
Rhino 2005
Made in JapanMade in Japan
Warner Off Roster 1990
GELENN HUGHES - FEEL - CD Japan ex Deep Purple US $13.00 Buy It Now 30m 42s
DEEP PURPLE Japan 1976 Version 600 Yen Marc NM 7"45 FIREBALL US $19.99 Buy It Now 33m 18s
DEEP PURPLE-THE HOUSE OF BLUE LIGHT NEW SEALED NO CUT OUTS rock LP US $11.00 [0 bids]
39m 4s
Deep Purple When We Rock, We Rock & When We Roll, We Roll CD US $6.50 Buy It Now 41m 18s
deep purple hush/one more rainy day tetragrammaton records 1ST ISSUE LISTEN!!!!! US $30.00 Buy It Now 45m 29s
DEEP PURPLE MARK I & II~ORIG 1976 GERMAN 2-LP~HYPE STICKER~BLACKMORE~GILLIAN US $16.00 Buy It Now 55m 7s
DEEP PURPLE - Made In Japan - 1972 - CD - 2701-2 - UPC 0 7599-27273-2 7 - 7 Trac US $5.99 [0 bids]
59m 36s
DEEP PURPLE - BOOK OF TALIESYN NEW CD US $18.18 Buy It Now 59m 36s
DEEP PURPLE LIVE IN LONDON LP 1974 RARE IMPORT NM RAINBOW WHITESNAKE US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h
DEEP PURPLE PERFECT STRANGER MERCURY RE-ISSUE LP / RECORD US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
DEEP PURPLE: The Best of (Rock & Pop Scepter CTN-18010 VG+ Vinyl LP) US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 7m
DEEP PURPLE Now What+1 bonus track CD US $7.49 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Lot 2 hard rock 7" DEEP PURPLE Kentucky Woman Hush EXC Tetragrammaton US $7.95 Buy It Now 1h 12m
DEEP PURPLE: 24 Carat Purple UK pressing rock vinyl US $14.00 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Germany Print Deep Purple Made in Japan C 188-93 915/916 33 Vinyl Double LP US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m
German Print Electrola Deep Purple Who Do We Think We Are C 062-94 140 33 Vinyl US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 14m
DEEP PURPLE: Who Do We Think We Are (rock vinyl LP BS-2678) US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 15m
w PICTURE SLEEVE Sarah Vaughan Deep Purple 1951 45rpm EP VG++ US $11.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE~THE BOOK OF TALIESYN 1968 TETRAGAMMATON LP T-107 US $8.87 [0 bids]
Billy Ward & Dominoes Stardust / Deep Purple 45 NM CR-6736 Canada US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Deep Purple Book of Taliesyn Original 1st Pressing London Record Album T-107 US $4.99 [0 bids]
Radio Show: FLASHBACK! 4/30/01 JIMI HENDRIX, DEEP PURPLE, RIDE RIDER, CARS, BAND US $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
deep purple in rock US $4.00 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE LISTEN LEARN READ ON / RIVER DEEP MOUNTAIN HIGH ORIGINAL 45 SLEEVE! US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Massive Classic Rock Cassette Lot The Doors, The Beatles, Deep Purple, 36 Tapes US $5.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - SHADES OF DEEP PURPLE - 1968 Import Vinyl / Prog.Hard Rock Metal US $12.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Shades Of Deep Purple Mono Purple Vinyl LP RSD 2014 LP NEW US $37.02 Buy It Now 1h 46m
RAINBOW Long Live '78 pre-DIO ex-DEEP PURPLE COZY POWELL ORIG US Pr MATTE cover US $11.99 [0 bids]
2h
WHITESNAKE 1987 LP US HAIR metal ORIGINAL US 1st press COVERDALE ex-DEEP PURPLE US $14.99 [0 bids]
2h
TOP RaRe Import DEEP PURPLE Powerhouse Unique Cvr 1978 Demo Cassette Paper Lbls US $34.99 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Hard Rock Lot #1 - 9 LP's Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Queen, Nugent US $31.00 [6 bids]
Radio Show: FLASHBACK! 9/13/04 WHO, ELO, QUEEN, GREG KIHN, DEEP PURPLE, CREAM US $15.99 Buy It Now 2h 20m
Deep Purple: Scandinavian Nights (Japan mini-LP CD) US $44.54 [0 bids]
Deep Purple Deepest Purple 1991 JAPAN WPCP-4545 with OBI US $10.99 Buy It Now 2h 26m
DEEP PURPLE MACHINE HEAD EXCELLENT CONDITION ROCK VINYL RECORD ALBUM US $3.99 [1 bids]
deep purple who do we think we are record US $1.99 [0 bids]
Roger Glover Elements LP 1978 US pressing Deep Purple US $14.97 Buy It Now 2h 36m
DEEP PURPLE, IN ROCK.1970 WS-1877. THIS IS LP ONLY! "G" US $1.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
DEEP PURPLE, SHADES OF DEEP PURPLE. 1968 T-102. VG/NM US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
DEEP PURPLE, CONCERTO FOR GROUP & ORCHESTRA. 1970 WS-1860. VG/VG US $17.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Take It:Sessions '63-'68 [Gold Disc]/Ritchie Blackmore /Deep Purple/Rainbow/new US $50.00 Buy It Now 2h 41m
JLT/Joe Lynn TurnerRainbow/Deep Purple/Malmsteen.new cd US $11.45 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Coverdale Page CD Shake My Tree Pride & Joy Led Zeppelin Deep Purple Whitesnake US $5.95 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Deep Purple "Purple Passages" Warner Brothers 2 LPs 1972, White Label Promo Copy US $18.95 [0 bids]
The Battle Rages On by Deep Purple (CD, Jul-1993, Giant (USA)) US $6.90 Buy It Now 2h 43m
DEEP PURPLE THE FRIENDS & RELATIVES ALBUM 2 CD SET NEW US $11.41 Buy It Now 2h 44m
DEEP PURPLE: 30: Very Best Of: CD NEW US $13.17 Buy It Now 2h 44m
DEEP PURPLE "Deepest Purple: The Very Best of Deep Purple" (CD 1989 Warner Bros) US $13.95 Buy It Now 3h 16m
Deep Purple "Fireball" US $16.99 Buy It Now 3h 28m
Deep Purple in Rock by Deep Purple 2009 Audio Fidelity Gold CD Limited #1341 HTF US $54.99 Buy It Now 3h 30m
Deep Purple in Concert, 70/72, 2-CD (Japan) US $25.99 [0 bids]
(DEEP PURPLE -Made in Japan: Live)-true institution of hard rock-F4-2xLP US $26.42 Buy It Now 3h 46m
Deep Purple - When We Rock We Rock and When We Roll We Roll - LP US $6.99 [0 bids]
Cassettes Mixed Lot Rock Classic Rock Deep Purple Eric Clapton scorpions Roxy US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h 2m
(RAINBOW -On Stage)-Deep Purple guitarist Ritchie Blackmore-F4-2xLP US $26.42 Buy It Now 4h 7m
Errol Garner "Deep Purple" LP Record Album US $0.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - 1990-1996 (IMPORT) NEW CD US $33.34 Buy It Now 4h 55m
FUNKY JUNCTION - PLAY A TRIBUTE TO DEEP PURPLE (REISSUE) NEW CD US $23.24 Buy It Now 4h 56m
= DEEP PURPLE, Progression CD excellent condition US $3.87 Buy It Now 5h 20m
DEEP PURPLE japan mail order only '76 LP sony family club unique edit POKORA6001 US $39.99 Buy It Now 5h 30m
Deep Purple In Rock - Anniversary Edition Dutch CD album (CDLP) 834019.2 1995 US $34.78 Buy It Now 5h 31m
DEEP PURPLE BURN W 2766 VINYL LP 1974 ORIG PRESS PLAYS GREAT COVERDALE VG++/VG!! US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 33m
PROMO WITH TOUR TICKET / DEEP PURPLE LAST CONCERT / WITH OBI US $349.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE-Come Hell or High Water DVD-Region Free-PAL-Brand New-Still Sealed US $13.17 Buy It Now 5h 44m
Deep Purple "In Rock" 1970 Vinyl 12" Record Hard Rock US $0.99 [1 bids]
Rainbow - Finyl Vinyl CD 1986 West Germany 827 987-2 Deep Purple US $11.28 Buy It Now 5h 59m
Rainbow - Straight Between The Eyes CD Deep Purple German pressing 521 709-2 US $8.05 Buy It Now 5h 59m
DEEP PURPLE / ALICE COOPER - Milton Keynes - 2006 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.26 Buy It Now 6h 21m
DEEP PURPLE - Fireball CD MINI LP OBI US $15.99 Buy It Now 6h 25m
DEEP PURPLE Who Do We Think We Are 1973 LP BS 2678 EX US $10.95 Buy It Now 6h 42m
DEEP PURPLE - MACHINE HEAD - CD - NEW - US $14.07 Buy It Now 6h 58m
DEEP PURPLE-Lot of 2 vintage adverts US $4.82 Buy It Now 7h 30m
DEEP PURPLE 2013 AUS Tour Poster HUGE 100x140 lp cd dvd aerosmith acdc priest US $8.81 [0 bids]
Deep Purple - 3 CD US $53.34 Buy It Now 7h 56m
IAN GILLAN (Deep Purple) 2006 AUS Tour Poster HUGE 102x142 black sabbath dio ufo US $8.81 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "Stormbringer-Love don't mean.." RARE 7" PROMO ITALY for JUKE BOX US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 27m
EARTH SHAKING ROCK - NAZARETH, ASIA, URIAH HEEP, RICK WAKEMAN, DEEP PURPLE US $0.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "Might just take your life" -RARE ITALIAN HOLECOVER 7"PROMO for JB US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 42m
DEEP PURPLE "BLACK NIGHT" ORIGINAL 1970 SHEET MUSIC, US $13.17 [0 bids]
DIO/DEEP PURPLE LP COVERS- Sacred Heart/Stormbringer,Ideal for framing,replacing US $9.66 Buy It Now 9h
DEEP PURPLE - MADE IN JAPAN BLACK NIGHT (LIVE VERSION) 7" 2014 RSD NEW MINT US $20.96 Buy It Now 9h 7m
Deep Purple - Abandon (1998) RARE CD ALBUM US $16.13 Buy It Now 9h 12m
PURPLE RAINBOWS-16 TRACK CD-1991-DEEP PURPLE-WHITESNAKE-DIO-RAINBOW-G.BONNETT US $11.01 Buy It Now 9h 32m
DEEP PURPLE US LP Machine Head w/ Lyrics Poster Insert US $29.77 Buy It Now 9h 35m
DEEP PURPLE "Smoke On The Water" 7" RARE (Dutch Press) EX/VG+ Live PS Gillan US $17.82 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE "HUSH" MONSTER ROCK SOUND LISTEN! US $11.28 Buy It Now 9h 41m
The Battle Rages On... by Deep Purple (CD, Jul-1993, Giant (USA)) US $4.99 Buy It Now 9h 49m
Perfect Strangers [Remaster] by Deep Purple (CD, Jun-1999, Mercury) US $4.99 Buy It Now 9h 52m
DEEP PURPLE: Made In Japan (2WS 2701) (Warner Bros.-1973) VG+/VG+ US $8.75 Buy It Now 9h 54m
Made in Japan by Deep Purple (Rock) (CD, Sep-1988, Deep Purple (Rock)) US $4.99 Buy It Now 9h 55m
DEEP PURPLE - 1990-1996 - NEW CD US $25.58 Buy It Now 9h 55m
Deep Purple Battle rages on Japan 1993 CD /obi BVCP-650 US $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 57m
DEEP PURPLE - IN CONCERT 1970/1972 - NEW CD BOXSET US $9.37 Buy It Now 10h 10m
Deep Purple, Boston, Kingdom Come, Mr Big - Lot of 4 rock cassette tapes US $0.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE ~'Love Conquers All"~UK Ltd Ed RCA 12" 1990+POSTER+'24 CARAT PURPLE' US $32.25 Buy It Now 10h 36m
DEEP PURPLE SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE SCREAMING CD SINGLE WITHDRAWN ISSUE (EDIT AND US $9.68 Buy It Now 10h 40m
DEEP PURPLE THE UNIVERSAL MASTERS COLLECTION BEST CD Obi Japan RARE UICY-9913 US $8.99 Buy It Now 10h 43m
DEEP PURPLE - Slaves & Masters (remastered) - 180 gram vinyl LP US $27.99 Buy It Now 10h 46m
DEEP PURPLE 30 VERY BEST OF SEALED CD NEW GREATEST HITS US $3.77 Buy It Now 10h 55m
DEEP PURPLE SATIN TYPE CONCERT SCARF, VINTAGE US $11.28 Buy It Now 11h 4m

More places to buy DEEP PURPLE music online Buy DEEP PURPLE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DEEP PURPLE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DEEP PURPLE Black Night/Speed King ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(56%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(38%)

DEEP PURPLE Black Night/Speed King reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Now then guys and gals, here's a huge hit single

"Black night" was recorded during the sessions which resulted in the "In rock" album, but became a non album single when it was released in advance of the album (bizarrely, it was included on the Mexican release of "In rock"). Thus this was the first studio recording by the band's best know (mark II) line up to be made commercially available.

The song reflects the growing aspirations of Blackmore, Lord and Paice to move in a more rock orientated direction, a desire which led to the departure of Rod Evans and Nick Simper after the previous "Deep Purple" album. The new boys, Glover and Gillan add their stamp to the song the composition of which is democratically credited to all five band members. Gillan's vocals are far better suited to the heavy rock sound the band had adopted than Evans, the song being driven along by the newly formed Glover/Paice powerhouse. The basic riff of the song is as familiar as the legendary "Smoke on the water", the lyrics being suitably dark but irrelevant.

The band clearly captured the mood of the singles buying public at the time, the song bepoming a huge top 3 hit in the UK. It was around this time that bands such as Black Sabbath, Free, and 10 Years After all enjoyed significant singles chart success, consequently the UK airwaves were for a time full of fine music.

The B-side would become the opening track on the forthcoming LP, which quickly became the band's most successful album to date.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#143790) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 12, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
5 stars I usally do not review singles but this one is so special to me.

December 1970. Almost twelve years old.

"Parano´d", "Whole Lotta Love", "See Me, Feel Me" and "Black Night". These four singles were purchased on the same Wednesday afternoon (school finished at noon and I used to go and buy records before going home).

These songs are still ones of my favourites. Nothing prog here of course; but so great music.

I couldn't imagine how much Purple would influence my young life (as the other three bands of course). When the band had finished with the "In Rock" sessions, the managers of the Harvest label were very enthusiastic about what they had heard, but there was something missing, in their opinion. A song for a single release.

OK, said the band. You're going to get it. They sat together for about two hours but couldn't get anything. So, they went out to a pub and stayed there for a while. Roger & Ritchie went back to the studio and the latter started jamming. It sounded very good to Roger and Ritchie told him : "It is borrowed from Summertime - Ricky Nelson". "You can't use that" said Roger. Ritchie replied : "Why not? Have you ever heard of it" said Ritchie ? Roger said "No". And Ritchie to conclude : "Fine" !

Ian Gillan said later : "We borrowed the title from the words of an old Arthur Alexander song. We stole the tempo from On The Road Again (Canned Heat). Roger and I sat trying to write the most banal lyrics we could think of".

And here you go for "Black Night". Their highest ranking in the UK charts!

My original copy had a black cover with just the song name in white (while "Speed King" was written in yellow). It was more in line with the title of the song than the one featured here.

"Black Night" is of course one of the anthems of the band. They still play it during their concerts (the last time I saw them was in May 2007, some thirty four years after my first Purple concert). There is an excellent and longer version available on the 25th anniversary edition of "In Rock" with more guitar solo.

What is extraordinary about this single is also its B-side. I played it as much as the A-side actually. It was one of the first song of "In Rock" (October 69) in gestation, while the superb and heavy intro was first cut in November. The first version was with a piano (also available, but remixed on the fanstastic 25th year anniversary version of the album). The version available here is the organ one.

This song is another Purple jewel. They could extend it to over fifteen minutes during their live sets and it also belongs to my beloved Purple song.

The quotation for the "Black Night" story are available on the liner notes of the special "In Rock" edition.

As a single this one deserves five stars. Thanks Bob for the entry. It reminds me great souvenirs.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#157488) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Review by Guillermo
4 stars Yes. As a previous reviewer wrote, "Black Night" was added to the Mexican version of the "In Rock" album. But I also have it in a 45 R.P.M. Extended Play, also released in Mexico, which also includes "Speed King", "Living Wreck" and "Into the Fire" taken from the In Rock album.

"Black Night" is one of the signature songs from this band, I think. One of the earliest International hits of the band in their second line-up, it is powerful, with very good drums by Ian Paice, a very good guitar solo and a very good distorted organ solo, plus very good bass and great lead vocals. It has all the characterisitic ingredients of the second line-up of this band which was more heavy than the first line-up of the band. I played this song with a covers band in the early eighties. I have to recognize that it was hard to try to play all the drums parts like Ian Paice does!

"Speed King" is a faster song, still heavy and good. Here Gillan`s vocals are also very good. I don`t remember the lyrics very well, but maybe they could talk about the use of some substances...but I could be wrong!

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#161331) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 09, 2008

Review by Chris S
5 stars I cannot state highly enough as to the high class quality release this single release is! Coming off the Deep Purple in Rock album it is one of those rare singles that offer classic tunes ' both sides' of the border. Personally I think ' Speed king' is the better song but 'Black Night' is also a great song. Ian Gillan is in fine form. One of those classic releases that sadly has not stood up to the test of time in my 45rpm collective. For collectors of singles for this era, you will already have this.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#161611) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Post a review of DEEP PURPLE "Black Night/Speed King"