A LA CARTE

Collectors/fans only

Buy TRIUMVIRAT Music
Studio Album, released in 1978

1. Waterfall (4:58)
2. (Oh I'm) Late Again (6:48)
3. Jo Ann Walker (4:46)
4. For You (5:53)
5. I Don't Even Know Your Name (4:47)
6. A Bavarian In New York (5:38)
7. Original Soundtrack From The Movie (3:48)
8. Darlin' (3:46)

- Tommy Johnson / tuba
- Bob Hardaway / tuba
- Jene Cipriano / tuba
- Jules Chaikin / contractor
- Rob Stevens, Jon Osbrink, Jerry Whitman, Stan Farber, Walt Harrah, Larry Kenton, Fred Frank, Bill Brown, Gene Moredro, Gene Merlino, Allan Davies, Diana Lee, Sally Stevens, Terry Stilwell, Gloria G. Prosper, Linda Harmon, Susie McCyne, Darice Richman, Jackie Ward, Sue Allen, Peggy Clark, Myrna Matthews, Jan Gassman, Karen Kenton / singers
- Bill Cole / contractor
- Gordon Marton / conductor violins
- Israel Baker, Michelle Grab, Ken Yerke, Robert Lipsett, Brian Leonard, Robert Dubow, Spiro Stamof, Peter Kent, Mari Tsumura, John Wittenberg, Bonnie Douglas, Linda Rose / concert master
- Sam Bogossian, Denise Buffom, Linda Lipsett, Dan Neufels / violas
- Fred Seykora, Glenn Grab, Juliana Buffom, Gloria Strassner / cellos
- Steve Edelman, Buell Neiblinger / basses

LP Capitol ST 11862 (1978 Canada)
CD EMI Records 5351712CD (2002)(remaster)

TRIUMVIRAT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TRIUMVIRAT A La Carte Music

A La CarteA La Carte
Import · Remastered
EMI Europe Generic 2002
CD illusions on a double dimple ~ USD $7.32
CD old loves die hard ~ USD $7.32

More places to buy TRIUMVIRAT music online Buy TRIUMVIRAT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TRIUMVIRAT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TRIUMVIRAT A La Carte ratings distribution

TRIUMVIRAT A La Carte reviews

Review by greenback
1 stars Very poor album! Like GENTLE GIANT, they declined because they fell in love!!!!!!!!!!!! If you like "Spartacus" and "Old Loves Die Hard", then do not expect the same here!! No more prog here!

They completely became pop, but a very bad pop! Unbelievable! Well, it is music, no doubt, they all play their instrument correctly, but the compositions are common and less than ordinary! It has no personality! Barry Palmer has definitely a bad voice!! Fortunately, is appearance is rare on this record. The other singer is better. Their worst album by far!

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#11876) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 18, 2004

Review by slipperman
1 stars I'm new to the progarchives community--few of you know me from a hole in the ground. So before I get called a completely narrow-minded idiot, please know I very much like and defend Genesis' 'Abacab' often. That should be enough evidence that I can accept once- groundbreaking bands streamlining their sound. As long as the material still carries a good degree of depth and quality, I'm in. But 'A La Carte' by Triumvirat is possibly the worst album I've heard by an otherwise great prog-rock outfit. A disaster.

I gave it a chance. I really did! Given that the 5 previous albums are all essential prog albums to one degree or another (especially the massive 'Spartacus'), 'A La Carte' is a severe wrong turn. Sure, they were streamlining, sure, Jurgen didn't want to be trapped in the prog mold any longer...but that doesn't meaning anything if the songs are no good. And none of these songs are good. None. On first listen I kept waiting for the good songs to appear...by the second side I kept waiting for the one good song that just had to be there. I desperately tried to justify my purchase by giving it the chance it deserves--just because it is Triumvirat, or so they say--but I kept coming up empty. I would prefer to give the album a more in-depth analysis, any album deserves a quality review, regardless of the quality of the album itself, but I no longer own it. Life's too short to waste on really bad records. Hail 'Spartacus'!!!

Send comments to slipperman (BETA) | Report this review (#11879) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars FROM ELP TO SUPERTRAMP

Very bizarre change of direction for this once good German trio. From a pure ELP sound they switched to a pop sound a la Supertramp. One of the problems, is that they are only the shadow of a sub-par Supertramp. What you'll find here is rather poor music, overwhelmed with orchestrations (viloins, cellos, trumpets and lots of choirs). Not really my cup of tea.

We'll travel from poor to worse here. The latter being "For You", by no doubt. An insipid and syrupous ballad (on par with the closing number "Good Bye". Truely awful and difficult to imagine how low "Triumvirate" has evolved. In this aspect "I Don't Even Know Your Name" just looses by an inch the highest step of the podium.

The least boring numbers being the ones that will sound the most to the Tramp : "Waterfall" and "Late Again". But don't expect too much. But of course, compared with "A Bavarian..." and the funky-oriented "Original Soundtrack...", they sound like masterpieces.

"Darlin' " is also a good joke. But a bad song with stupid chorus and trumpets.

It is really a poor album and I can only recommend to stay away from this "work". One star of course and nothing prog to be found.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#134630) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 23, 2007

Review by Tarcisio Moura
1 stars Oh, I skipped this album for decades. Somehow I knew I would not like it and now that I finally had a chance to hear it I found out I was right all along... I´m glad I did not hear this CD at the time, it would have been a huge disappointment. It is ok that Pompeii was not Triumvirat´s best, but it was good and certainly a prog record. This one is anything but. Try to imagine Genesis releasing Invisible Touch after A Trick Of The Tail! The difference is the fact that A La Carte is way worse than Invisible Touch.

Not that this album is too bad per se: obviously all the musicians are skilled and the arrangements are well done. But it is pure pop and the songwriting is simply mediocre at best. Sometimes very poor as in the case of tracks like For You (I never believed a band like this would release such a lame song). The better tracks are A Bavarian In New York (good overall arrangement) and Goodbye (even if it sounds like an Elton John rip off). And this was released only an year after Pompeii!!! Unbelieveble!

One of worst and fastest cases of a great band downfall. Unless you´re a fan of third rate pop, avoid at all costs.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#186124) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 17, 2008

3 stars Triumvirat's A La Carte is a quite nice pop-rock effort. Though nothing like the previously heralded progressive masterpieces from the band's past, and that something that a lot of listeners held against this record, if you want tasty pop-rock for a change, (and even a progressive ... (read more)

Report this review (#626898) | Posted by presdoug | Sunday, February 05, 2012 | Review Permanlink

1 stars From ELP to Supertramp and then to some overblown Las Vegas ballads. Or is it the casinos in Dortmund, Monaco or Manchester this band is aiming for with this album ? God knows, but not even the worst gamblers should be exposed to this album of Supertramp like ballads and pop. This album is pomp ... (read more)

Report this review (#623713) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Tuesday, January 31, 2012 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I was surprised to see so many 1-star reviews for this album. So is it really that bad? Please be aware though that I do like some of the mid-late 70's AOR stuff. I love this web- site and enjoy spending hours at a time reading the many thoughtful/awesome reviews. I've come to the conc ... (read more)

Report this review (#230087) | Posted by progbaby | Wednesday, August 05, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars like many groups of this era,the changes of direcction in his music are evidents,triumvirat are not a eception.in 1978 made an album like MEDITERRANEAN TALES is a suicide comercial. ... (read more)

Report this review (#77842) | Posted by antonio | Thursday, May 11, 2006 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Well, it`s sad to see such a talented band go down the toilet. Triumvirat goes from worse to the unthinkable. An attempt at pop songs which has nothing to do with their previous glories on albums like, Illusions On A Double Dimple, Spartacus and Mediterrenean Tales. Take this one out to the skeet s ... (read more)

Report this review (#11874) | Posted by Vibrationbaby | Thursday, March 04, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TRIUMVIRAT "A La Carte"