14 FROM OUR PAST

Buy GENESIS Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 2007

1. The Knife (8:53)
2. Happy the Man (3:08)
3. Watcher of the Skies (7:19)
4. I know what I Like (In Your Wardrobe) (4:07)
5. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (4:51)
6. Squonk (6:30)
7. Your Own Special Way (6:18)
8. Follow You, Follow Me (4:01)
9. Turn It On Again (3:49)
10. Abacab (4:10)
11. That's All (4:25)
12. Land of Confusion (4:46)
13. Hold On My Heart (4:39)
14. Congo (4:03)

- Peter Gabriel / lead vocals, flute
- Steve Hackett / lead guitar
- Mike Rutherford / lead guitar, bass guitar, backing vocals

A Compilation made by Starbucks for their XM station HearMusic

Thanks to anoah for the addition

GENESIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GENESIS 14 From Our Past Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Turn It on Again: The HitsTurn It on Again: The Hits
EMI Europe Generic 2009
R-KiveR-Kive
Box set
Rhino 2014
Trick of the Tail (CD/DVD)Trick of the Tail (CD/DVD)
Rhino 2007
CD in the beginning ~ USD $8.67
LP the magic of time ~ USD $22.58
LP trespass ~ USD $23.56
CD yakta mama ~ USD $6.19

More places to buy GENESIS music online Buy GENESIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GENESIS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GENESIS 14 From Our Past ratings distribution

GENESIS 14 From Our Past reviews

Review by Gatot
1 stars These are NOT all the bests .!

This is another compilation by Genesis for commercial purpose only because the band has practically disbanded (although they just performed a reunion tour in Europe). As a die hard fan of Genesis, I find it very difficult to make a compilation CD because most songs that I like from the band are basically have long duration and they practically not feasible to fit into one or , in fact, two CDs compilation. The stuation is even worse with the fact that in typical Genesis albums especially during Hackett era, I find it difficult to select "the best" as most songs are excellent. So, I see no point having a compilation CD - sort of "The Best of" - from bands like Genesis, King Crimson, Yes, ELP. If this CD is intended for newbie, let me tell you .. you should not start with this one. Try "Selling England By The Pound" album and then move to "Foxtrot", Nursery Cryme", "A Trick of The Tail", "Wind and Wuthering", "Trespass" and then "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway". You would find it very enlightening to have that sort of sequence. I bet you that you would not feel any difference having Gabriel or Collins as lead singer - because Steve Hackett is the key diffrentiator. However, if you are keen with the band, I reckon that "Duke" is another excellent album followed by "And Then There Were Three". That's what you should buy from Genesis and you don't need to waste your maneys for "Abacab", "I Can't Dance" or "Genesis" (Mama).

Let's have a look on this "14 From Our Past" compilation. I think it's good to start with "The Knife" as you will grab the idea that Genesis can paly heavy music with powerful guitar riffs . The second track from "Nursery Cryme" should be "The Musical Box" or "The Return of Giant Hogweed" or "The Fountain of Salmacis" (you see there are many great tracks which are much much better than "Happy The Man" which was actually not in the original "Nursery Cryme" album even though was recorded at the same period. Track 3 should be the best Genesis track ever from "Foxtrot" album which is "Supper's Ready" (approx 23 minutes), or "Can Utility or The Coastliners". Track 4 from "Selling England by The Pound" should be "Firth of Fifth" or "Cinema Show" or "Dancing With The Moonlith Knight".

Applying the same approach, these are the tracks that should be taken to represent each album: 5. "Fly on a Windshield", or "In The Cage" , 6. "Squonk" is OK, 7. "One For The Vine", 8. "The Lady Lies" or "Down and Out" or "Burning Rope", 9. "Behind The Lines" or "Duke's Travel". For the rest, I do not want to comment because I do not favor much the albums after "Duke".

Overall, I do not recommend you to have this compilation that do not take the bests of each album but really take all the pop hits from the band for commercial only. If you are a prog head, DO NOT BUY this compilation!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#157859) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 05, 2008

Post a review of GENESIS "14 From Our Past"