KAYLEIGH

Good, but non-essential

Buy MARILLION Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1996

1. Grendel (17:16)
2. He knows you know (5:22)
3. Jigsaw (6:50)
4. Punch and Judy (3:22)
5. Cinderella search (edited) (4:22)
6. Kayleigh (single) (3:32)
7. Lavender (single) (3:40)
8. Lady Nina (edited) (3:43)
9. Torch song (4:05)

- Fish / vocals
- Mark Kelly / keyboards
- Ian Mosley / drums
- Mick Pointer / drums, percussion (1)
- Steve Rothery / guitars
- Pete Trewavas / basses

Disky: DC 867182 (0 7243 4 86718 2 0)

Buy MARILLION Kayleigh Music

Marillion Kayleigh 7" EMI MARIL3 EX/EX 1985 picture sleeve, Kayleigh/Lady Nina USD $7.88 Buy It Now 3h 6m
MARILLION -"Misplaced Childhood"- Daily Mail Newspaper Promo 2008-Kayleigh- NEW USD $9.70 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Marillion - Kayleigh - 7" Record Single USD $4.54 Buy It Now 4h 7m
Marillion Kayleigh Alternative Mix 12" EMI 12MARIL3 EX/VG 1985 12 inch, Kayleigh USD $12.14 Buy It Now 7h 41m
MARILLION-KAYLEIGH/LADY NINA-RARE ORIGINAL GERMAN 7" 45rpm 1985 USD $3.99 Buy It Now 9h 45m
Marillion Kayleigh 7inch vinyl single USD $2.13 [0 bids]
Marillion : Kayleigh - the Essential Collection CD Expertly Refurbished Product USD $2.88 Buy It Now 13h 31m
MARILLION - KAYLEIGH 7" 1985 EMI FISH ROCK VG USD $2.42 [0 bids]
MARILLION, KAYLEIGH,2 MIXES+ LADY NINA,12 INCH,1985,VERY GOOD+ CONDITION USD $8.49 [0 bids]
MARILLION ( 2 ) U.K. PICTURE SLEEVE 45 set sale: KAYLEIGH / FREAKS live trax NM- USD $12.76 Buy It Now 15h 2m
MARILLION 1988 freaks(LIVE)/kayleigh(LIVE) ORGNL UK SHAPED PICTURE DISC NEWMINT USD $26.69 Buy It Now 22h 36m
MARILLION: Freaks (live)/Kayleigh (live) (1988). Near mint. USD $2.42 [0 bids]
MARILLION~KAYLEIGH~3 TRACK 12" VG~COVER VG~uk 1st press USD $3.64 [0 bids]
Marillion - Kayleigh 12" vinyl single 1985 USD $0.60 [0 bids]
EX MARILLION - Kayleigh / Lady Nina 7" single USD $5.34 Buy It Now 1 day
Vinyl Record 12" Single MARILLION KAYLEIGH USD $1.54 [0 bids]
1985 MARILLION Kayleigh Alt Mix US Promo 12" Capitol SPRO 9417/18 Hype NM/NM USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION Kayleigh 1985 UK 3-track 12" vinyl single,EXCELLENT CONDITION USD $9.10 Buy It Now 2 days
MARILLION MISPLACED CHILDHOOD CD FROM 1988 INC SMASH KAYLEIGH FISH USD $18.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MARILLION - KAYLEIGH - 12" Vinyl  USD $1.20 [0 bids]
CD MARILLION "KAYLEIGH". New and sealed USD $13.28 Buy It Now 3 days
Marillion: Kayleigh orig EX+ 7" USD $4.85 Buy It Now 3 days
MARILLION Kayleigh/lady Nina UK 7" Single EX Cond Paper Label USD $4.86 Buy It Now 3 days
DURAN DURAN SAVE A PRAYER MARILLION KAYLEIGH CD JEWEL CASE BRAZIL ONLY 1999 USD $35.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MARILLION , KAYLEIGH . 12" 45rpm VINYL EP RECORD . 1985 . ROCK . USD $4.85 Buy It Now 3 days
Marillion/Fish set of 2 CDs, Kayleigh and Kettle of Fish 88-98 USD $6.07 [0 bids]
Marillion - Kayleigh - 7" Record Single USD $4.57 Buy It Now 4 days
MARILLION 2 X 12" PICTURE SLEEVE MAXIS LAVENDER & KAYLEIGH EMI RECORDS 1985 USD $8.25 Buy It Now 4 days
FISH - THE COMPLETE BBC SESSIONS 2CD - KAYLEIGH MARILLION USD $13.35 [0 bids]
Marillion - Kayleigh Picture Disc Vinyl Record (1985) USD $27.19 Buy It Now 4 days
Marillion ?- Kayleigh - Label: EMI Records 7 inch Vinyl 45 Single USD $12.14 [0 bids]
(HG644) Marillion, Kayleigh - 1996 CD USD $7.27 Buy It Now 4 days
Marillion ''Kayleigh Lady Nina'' 12'' Picture Disc Vinyl Record USD $30.06 Buy It Now 4 days
Marillion "Kayleigh/Heart Of Lothian" Picture Sleeve 45 RPM Record USD $5.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Marillion-Kayleigh 7" Vinyl Single USD $4.86 [0 bids]
Marillion Kayleigh 12" picture disk USD $25.00 [0 bids]
USD $35.00 Buy It Now
MARILLION -7"Single -Kayleigh/Lady Nina, EX+ USD $8.49 Buy It Now 5 days
MARILLION Kayleigh rare promo 45 from 1985 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Marillion - Freaks LIVE/Kayleigh LIVE 7" Vinyl Record Rock Single USD $12.13 Buy It Now 5 days
Marillion: Kayleigh 12" Vinyl Single - 1st 1985 UK Press Picture Sleeve 12MARIL3 USD $6.68 Buy It Now 6 days
MARILLION 'KAYLEIGH' UK 7" SINGLE USD $2.42 Buy It Now 6 days
MARILLION Kayleigh 7" B/W Lady Nina, Maril 3, Plain White Sleeve USD $4.85 Buy It Now 6 days
Marillion - Kayleigh (Alternative Mix & Extended) (UK 12") Excellent Vinyl USD $8.49 Buy It Now 6 days
Marillion Sympathy/Kayleigh 12" 33RPM Picture Disc IMPORT UK EMI 12MARILPD16 USD $15.26 Buy It Now 7 days
MARILLION kayleigh 12 MARIL 3 uk emi 1985 12" PS EX/EX USD $12.13 Buy It Now 7 days
Marillion 7" vinyl single record Kayleigh UK MARIL3 EMI 1985 USD $13.30 Buy It Now 7 days
Marillion 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) Kayleigh UK 12MARIL3 EMI 1985 USD $14.51 Buy It Now 7 days
MARILLION Rare 1985 Australian Promo / Demo : - KAYLEIGH/ LADY NINA 1985 USD $30.46 Buy It Now 7 days
Marillion ?- Freaks (Live)/Kayleigh (Live) (7") (VG-/VG-) USD $4.85 Buy It Now 7 days
Marillion - Kayleigh (Vinyl) USD $38.85 Buy It Now 7 days
MARILLION "KAYLEIGH / LADY NINA" 12" REMIXES 3 TRACKS 1985 EMI RECORDS SPAIN OOP USD $49.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Marillion ?- Kayleigh 12" Vinyl Rock Pop Rock 1985 12MARIL3 VG USD $7.27 Buy It Now 7 days
MARILLION - Kayleigh - Original 1985 7" Vinyl 45 USD $1.57 [0 bids]
Marillion ?-Kayleigh/Lady Nina 1985 1st UK Press Excellent/Excellent USD $17.00 Buy It Now 7 days
MARILLION - KAYLEIGH USD $0.67 [0 bids]
Marillion - Kayleigh 7" Vinyl Single Vg+ Con USD $6.06 Buy It Now 8 days
MARILLION kayleigh (picture disc) 12" EX 12 MARIL P 3, vinyl, single, uk, 1985 USD $39.00 Buy It Now 8 days
Marillion ex spain promo PS Kayleigh / Lady Nina USD $8.49 Buy It Now 8 days
MARILLION kayleigh (picture disc) 12" EX 12 MARIL P 3, vinyl, single, uk, 1985 USD $39.28 Buy It Now 8 days
KAYLEIGH - MARILLION - 7" SINGLE USD $1.20 [0 bids]
Music Postcard: MARILLION. Kayleigh. USD $9.70 Buy It Now 8 days
Marillion - Kayleigh - Marillion CD 0724348671820 USD $3.63 Buy It Now 8 days
MARILLION- SYMPATHY- RARE 2 CD SINGLE- (1992)- GATEFOLD SLEEVE- KAYLEIGH USD $2.42 [0 bids]
MARILLION Kayleigh 7" VINYL USD $4.85 Buy It Now 9 days
MARILLION Kayleigh 1985 UK magazine ADVERT/Poster/clipping 11x8 inches USD $12.08 Buy It Now 9 days
MARILLION . KAYLEIGH 7" PICTURE DISC USD $14.56 Buy It Now 9 days
NEW / MINT! MARILLION KAYLEIGH 12" VINYL PIC PICTURE DISC USD $33.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Marillion ?- Kayleigh EMI Records MARIL 13 UK Vinyl 7" Single USD $16.87 Buy It Now 9 days
MARILLION Kayleigh / Heart Of Lothian rare 45 with PicSleeve from 1985 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Marillion - Kayleigh 7" single EX USD $1.82 Buy It Now 9 days
MARILLION - KAYLEIGH - 1985 - MUSIC PRESS ADVERT POSTER 16 X 11 in USD $6.68 Buy It Now 9 days
2 MARILLION RECORDSFREAKS LIVE/KAYLEIGH & INCOMMUNICADO 45 EX USD $10.92 Buy It Now 10 days
KAYLEIGH MARILLION LP MADE IN BRAZIL ONLY 1st PRESS 1990 Misplaced Childhood USD $35.99 Buy It Now 10 days
MARILLION 45 PROMO Kayleigh SOUTHAMERICA 7" Rare Split TALKING HEADS And She Was USD $44.99 Buy It Now 10 days
MARILLION - Kayleigh - Original 1985 UK EMI 3-track 12" vinyl single USD $10.92 Buy It Now 10 days
Marillion Picture Disc Record 7" - Kayleigh USD $15.73 Buy It Now 10 days
Vinyl 12 inch Record Single Marillion Kayleigh 1985 USD $12.14 Buy It Now 10 days
Marillion 'kayleigh'classic 7" Vinyl Single 45rpm USD $7.27 Buy It Now 10 days
MARILLION KAYLEIGH 7'' EMI MARIL 3 USD $5.45 Buy It Now 10 days
MARILLION - KAYLEIGH ADVERT Original Press Clipping approx 20x30cm USD $4.85 Buy It Now 10 days
MARILLION (12" LP) MISPLACED CHILDHOOD [1985 EUROPE PRESS GATEFOLD +KAYLEIGH] EX USD $24.00 Buy It Now 11 days
Marillion - Kayleigh (CD 1996) USD $8.50 Buy It Now 11 days
MARILLION Kayleigh 7" Single 45rpm Vinyl VG USD $2.37 Buy It Now 11 days
MARILLION - Kayleigh (12") (VG/VG+) USD $8.49 Buy It Now 11 days
Marillion - Kayleigh 12" Vinyl Record Rock Single USD $12.13 Buy It Now 11 days
Marillion - Kayleigh/Lady Nina- 7" vinyl single USD $6.78 Buy It Now 12 days
MARILLION, KAYLEIGH (4), 78, G/G, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, EMI USD $3.27 Buy It Now 12 days
MARILLION, KAYLEIGH, 8, VG/EX, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, EMI RECORDS USD $3.63 Buy It Now 12 days
MARILLION, KAYLEIGH, 27, EX/EX, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, EMI RECORDS USD $3.63 Buy It Now 12 days
MARILLION, KAYLEIGH, 59, EX/VG, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, EMI RECORDS USD $3.63 Buy It Now 12 days
MARILLION, KAYLEIGH, 33, EX/EX, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, EMI RECORDS USD $3.63 Buy It Now 12 days
MARILLION, KAYLEIGH, 82, EX/EX, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, EMI RECORDS USD $3.63 Buy It Now 12 days
MARILLION, KAYLEIGH (2), 78, G/G, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, EMI USD $3.27 Buy It Now 12 days
MARILLION, KAYLEIGH, 36, G/VG, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, EMI RECORDS USD $3.63 Buy It Now 12 days
MARILLION, KAYLEIGH, 52, EX/EX, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, EMI RECORDS USD $3.63 Buy It Now 12 days
MARILLION, KAYLEIGH (3), 78, G/G, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, EMI USD $3.27 Buy It Now 12 days
MARILLION, KAYLEIGH, 5, VG/VG, 2 Track, 7" Single, Picture Sleeve, EMI RECORDS USD $3.63 Buy It Now 12 days
MARILLION, KAYLEIGH 95, -/VG, 2 Track, 7" Single, Plain Paper Sleeve, EMI, MARIL USD $2.79 Buy It Now 12 days
MARILLION, KAYLEIGH 21, -/VG, 2 Track, 7" Single, Plain Paper Sleeve, EMI, MARIL USD $2.79 Buy It Now 12 days
MARILLION - Kayleigh - Inlcuded on 1985 3-track promo-only flexi-disc USD $18.20 Buy It Now 12 days

More places to buy MARILLION music online Buy MARILLION & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

MARILLION Kayleigh ratings distribution

MARILLION Kayleigh reviews

Review by Trotsky
3 stars This is one of those budget best-ofs that I picked up when I was just switching to the CD format. It covers just Fish-era Marillion, and as it includes three great B-sides not available on the four original studio LPs (Scripts For A Jester's Tear, Fugazi, Misplaced Childhood and Clutching At Straws) the band put out during that golden period, I think I will hold on to it. Because of some glaring omissions, I have little doubt that a superior single CD compilation to cover this era could have been conjured up, but there really is some great neo-prog on here, and I'm sure it would make for a decent introduction to the band.

The greatest selling point (to proggers at least) has to be the 17 minute fantasy epic Grendel, which was initially issued only as part of an EP that showcased Marillion's first single Market Square Heroes. It is clearly influenced by early Genesis, although I feel the main part of the song suffers from a lightweight sound that doesn't match the epic tone of Fish's impassioned performance (the drum sound is really pathetic). Nonetheless there's enough class from guitarist Steve Rothery and keyboardist Mark Kelly to make sure this song is still one of the greatest prog moments of the 80s.

There are many fine songs here. The excellent ominous accusatory He Knows You Know, with some kick-ass Kelly synth lines that underpin the chorus, is one. Jigsaw which spends half its time being barely audible, and the other half soaring on a beautiful Fish chorus is another. Another B-side, Cinderella Search, is a memorable hard-rocker that drips with melancholy, while Lady Nina and Torch Song boast that massive Marillion sound I've come to love. There are also two classic slices of Marillion pop from the group's chart-topping album Misplaced Childhood ... Kayleigh and Lavender (which actually had to be extended to be long enough to be a single).

I don't quite like Punch & Judy, and the omission of early singles Market Square Heroes and Assassing, not to mention huge chuncks of the excellent Script For A Jester's Tear album as well as later efforts like the awesome Incommunicado and Warm Wet Circles, gives this compilation a pretty haphazard feel. Also Marillion fans who've bought B'Sides Themselves will have no use for this record. I have to admit though, that this is a convenient little pocket-sized snapshot of Marillion. ... 61% on the MPV scale

Review by Tristan Mulders
2 stars Marillion - Kayleigh

In the mid 90s, several low profile record labels, "Disky" among others, decided to release compilation discs of Marillion's backcatalogue (with Fish). This release here is mostly a collection of singles, b-sides and a rare album track. Though the choices for the songs are obvious, I still do not have this release in high regard.

The fact that it is identical to the "Essential Collection" disc, except for the artwork, seems a bit like fanboy-exploitation to my ears. Surely most Marillion fans already own the songs included in this compilation and this release will therefore most likely only be bought by people who are totally unfamiliar with the band (Mainly buying it because it is so cheap, the average price is ? 5,-) or are die hard collectors of the bands output.

This album does not work as a singles collection, but also not as a brief overview of The Fish Years. I recommend to purchase another compilation on the Disky label instead. 2003's "Warm Wet Circles" is also a cheap compilation disc, but at least it features typical Marillion songs from the Fish era, mind you no Fugazi-related stuff included though.

Review by evenless
3 stars Cheap compilation or great introduction to the early Marillion?

I probably picked up this Marillion compilation disc some ten years ago for a couple of bucks. (guilders actually). I guess it got my interest because I wasn't too familiar with Marillion yet and who's going to miss 10 guilders (around 5 euros) anyway?

Of course I knew their hit single Kayleigh, but furthermore all tracks I was unfamiliar with. And I must say what a surprise was the opening track "Grendel" to me! Wow! This track was initially some B-side I believe and later on re-released in 1997 as a bonus disc for the Script Of A Jester's Tear album. This track has all Prog elements in it that make the genre so appealing: many shifting moods, soft vocals, loud vocals, great drumming and wonderful guitar play. I fell completely in love with this song and think it's one of Marillion's highlights.

Then of course there's "Kayleigh", but the other 7 tracks are all really worth it as well. So what is my final conclusion/rating on this compilation disc? Difficult! As to Marillion fans this release is completely irrelevant and abundant. But to people who aren't or weren't familiar with the Fish-era Marillion yet, I would highly recommend it! But as from 1997 I my recommendation would probably go out to the re-issue of the 1983 Script . album.

So probably 2 stars for Marillion fans, but 4 stars for newbie's.

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars From my early reviews onwards, you know that I am almost working chronologically. This means that I'll review whatever is possible of the great Fish Marillion era before starting with their second period.

I am an old dirty freak. Having experienced all major rock influences during the last thirty five years. You can easily know where my roots are in terms of prog, should you just ckick on my reviewer nickname and have a look at my reviews.

I have already said that I discovered Marillion only a few years ago (2001). A colleague of mine introduced me to "Misplaced". And here we go.

I was just nuts about the band (although I belong to the "No More Heroes" generation). I started a crazy Marillion quest, wanting to grab whatever was possible (official releases or not - and believe me, there are an awful lot of great unofficial releases) from the Fish era of course.

Some will argue that he is trying to emulate Peter (I guess you all know whom I am talking about). Yes, you are right. So, what ?

I spent fabulous years listening to one of the most fanstastic and creative band on earth : Genesis.

I was only 15 at that time (1974) and emotion was already a major theme for me. For lots of reasons (which I soon will outline in my reviewer profile), I put a hold to any prog music in 1978. Little by little my enourmous love for this this music grew back. And all of a sudden, I discovered Marillion.

Very few times in my life I will be transported to such a level of souvenirs. It seemed that "Script" almost reverted me into the glorious days (you know, the early seventies ones).

I am EXTREMELLY thankfull to Marillion to have brought me back there.

There will be lots of compilation works from the Fish era. I have to say that this is a good one. It features some of the most achieved Marillion songs (although lots of progheads are reluctant when listening to it). Yes, "Grendel". I do not know how many friends I turned into a Marillion fan thanks to this one.

Thanks to the liner notes, you will discover some useful informaton about the band and their charting history.

All the songs featured here are extremely catchy and belong to the poppiest early Marillion repertoire. Except "Grendel" of course. I bought this one several years ago in London (city to which I use to go every year with my brother to buy some interesting stuff and attend great concert like "The Musical Box" in 2005 as well as 2007 (at the Royal Albert Hall).

Even if several songs are edited, they belong to the classic early Marillion repertoire. As such I would rate this compilation with four stars.

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars I only got hold of this for 'Grendel' and it was a nice budget way of grabbing this ecletic immortal epic track. All the other tracks are simply easy to get Marillion from their best albums to this point. Kayleigh is such a brilliant track I could listen to it as infinitum however I missed that beautiful intro 'Pseudo Silk Kimodo' so I recommend the CD 'Misplaced Childhood' over this of course.

Back to 'Grendel' - it is 17 minutes of pure prog bliss and simply one of the greatest epic length tracks I have heard along with Genesis' Suppers Ready or Caravans' Nine Feet Underground.

The other tracks on this compilation are all fan favourites so grab this out of the bargain bin and enjoy the best of these masters of neo prog.

Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams
2 stars I've made the mistake of buying this album after having already bought B'Sides Themselves. What EMI has done is just replacing a couple of songs respect to B'Sides and propose almost the same package giving it a title that should have been more attractive. Kayleigh was and probably is still the only big success that Marillion had with the mainstream consumers, recognisable also by those were not aware of an album called Misplaced Childhood.

Even if almost identical to B'sides I can't give it the same rating as it came after and doesn't add anything to the previous.

Marillion fans can stay away as they already have all the music inside, non-fans can start from anything else.

An useless album released only to make some cash with old material. Very bad that the same material has been used twice for the same purpose.

I see no reasons to buy it, neither the sleeve design which includes shots from the first albums with the exception of the one which gives the title that's replaced by B'sides, like it was considered an official one from which making a compilation. I think Torch Song was actually unreleased, but this doesn't change the rating.

4 stars A range of old (Fish-period) songs for a very low price (about seven euro in Holland), but NOT POP-ORIENTATED! Even people who just want to buy the popular Kayleigh-song, are immediately confrontated with Grendel, one of the strongest progressive songs after the seventies. That makes this album grea ... (read more)

Report this review (#12344) | Posted by Eb.Eb. | Monday, December 22, 2003 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MARILLION "Kayleigh"