KAYLEIGH

Good, but non-essential

Buy MARILLION Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1996

1. Grendel (17:16)
2. He knows you know (5:22)
3. Jigsaw (6:50)
4. Punch and Judy (3:22)
5. Cinderella search (edited) (4:22)
6. Kayleigh (single) (3:32)
7. Lavender (single) (3:40)
8. Lady Nina (edited) (3:43)
9. Torch song (4:05)

Search MARILLION Kayleigh lyrics

Search MARILLION Kayleigh tabs

- Fish / vocals
- Mark Kelly / keyboards
- Ian Mosley / drums
- Mick Pointer / drums, percussion (1)
- Steve Rothery / guitars
- Pete Trewavas / basses

Disky: DC 867182 (0 7243 4 86718 2 0)

MARILLION MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MARILLION Kayleigh Music

Import · Remastered · Special Edition
Caroline 1998
Somewhere in LondonSomewhere in London
Madfish Records UK 2013
MARILLION LOTHIAN'S HEART RARE LIVE 2LP FRANKFURT 85 US $45.09 Buy It Now 2h 22m
MARILLION Fugazi LP EX! EMI 1984 US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 21m
Marillion Cover My Eyes (Pain And Heaven) Uk 12" with poster US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 37m
Marillion Freaks 4 live Uk 12" US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 37m
Marillion Incommunicado , Going Under Uk Picture Disc 12" US $25.99 Buy It Now 3h 37m
Marillion Uninvited Guest Shaped Picture Disc US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 37m
MARILLION (FISH) - "Lavender" 1985 12" Single 1st US PROMO ONLY (2 Versions) US $21.88 Buy It Now 4h 6m
MARILLION (FISH) - "Fugazi" LP 1984 1st US PROMO - ORIG Capitol - w/Inner Sleeve US $23.88 Buy It Now 5h
MARILLION-SCRIPT FOR A JESTER'S TEAR-JAPAN PROMO WL US $74.99 Buy It Now 5h 2m
MARILLION-REAL TO REEL-JAPAN ISSUE PROMO WHITE LABEL+OBI US $67.99 Buy It Now 5h 22m
MARILLION - Holidays In Eden -1991 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.30 Buy It Now 6h 28m
FISH INTERNAL EXILE 2 VERS / CARNIVAL MAN HOLLAND PS 12" NEAR MINT 91 MARILLION US $14.99 Buy It Now 6h 34m
MARILLION Strange Engine GATEFOLD Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $33.98 Buy It Now 7h 35m
CD - MARILLION - CLUTCHING AT STRAWS US $9.03 Buy It Now 7h 41m
Spirit/Marillion/Legion 1981 Friars, Aylesbury Flyer US $29.19 Buy It Now 8h 23m
Marillion Lavender 7" single MARIL4 EX US $6.49 Buy It Now 8h 33m
MARILLION real to reel FA 41 3142 1 uk emi fame reissue LP PS EX+/EX- US $14.66 Buy It Now 9h 9m
MARILLION real to reel JEST 1 A2U/B2U uk emi 1984 LP PS EX+/EX with inner sleeve US $15.83 Buy It Now 9h 9m
MARILLION - SOUNDS THAT CAN'T BE MADE [CD] [1 DISC] [4029759081692] - NEW CD US $16.77 Buy It Now 9h 19m
MARILLION Essential Collection CD (New) US $14.43 Buy It Now 9h 40m
MARILLION Script For A Jester's Tear CD (New) US $16.24 Buy It Now 9h 40m
MARILLION The Thieving Magpie Double CD (Near Mint) US $17.14 Buy It Now 9h 53m
MARILLION Misplaced Childhood CD (New) US $16.24 Buy It Now 10h 17m
MARILLION - KAYLEIGH P/S 7" SINGLE US $2.42 Buy It Now 10h 21m
MARILLION Dry Land 12" Picture Disc In Die Cut Sleeve, Orig 1991 Ltd Edition, 4 US $19.44 Buy It Now 10h 25m
MARILLION Incommunicado 12" Picture Disc, Orig 1987 Ltd Edition, 3 Tracks, Albu US $25.93 Buy It Now 10h 25m
MARILLION Kayleigh 12" Ps, 3 Tracks Inc Alternative Mix/Extd Version/Lady Nina- US $12.96 Buy It Now 10h 25m
MARILLION No One Can 12" Picture Disc+Backing Card, 3 Tracks Inc Cover My Eyes+ US $16.20 Buy It Now 10h 25m
MARILLION Sympathy 12" Picture Disc+Backing Card, 3 Tracks Inc Kayleigh+Dry Lan US $16.20 Buy It Now 10h 25m
MARILLION SEASONS END LP MINT 180GM US $32.42 Buy It Now 11h 26m
Marillion(Cassette)The Thieving Magpie-Very Good US $10.99 Buy It Now 11h 38m
V.A.1982 A Time to Remember 20 Songs w/Kate Bush,Marillion,Blondie,America. US $5.95 [0 bids]
MARILLION CASSETTE Afraid of Sunlight - Italy 1995 US $4.95 Buy It Now 13h 14m
MARILLION CASSETTE Holidays in Eden - France 1991 US $4.95 Buy It Now 13h 14m
Marillion - Kayleigh / Lady Nina, EMI MARIL-3 Ex Condition 7" Single US $5.66 Buy It Now 13h 15m
Marillion - Radiation (1998) UK CD (2001) NEW US $5.99 Buy It Now 13h 19m
Marillion - Assassin US $0.81 [0 bids]
(A5)*MARILLION Incommunicado UK 7" 45 Pic single EX+/NM US $9.41 Buy It Now 13h 23m
Marillion - Kayleigh US $0.81 [0 bids]
Marillion - Punch And Judy US $0.81 [0 bids]
MARILLION Brave ORIGINAL US CD 7243 8 28032 2 5 Steve Hogarth US $7.99 [0 bids]
Fish - 'State Of Mind' Limited 12" PICTURE DISC Vinyl [MARILLION] US $8.03 Buy It Now 13h 44m
Marillion Fish Picture Disc Suits, New MINT numbered limited edition US $19.46 Buy It Now 14h
Marillion - The Thieving Magpie (La Gazza Ladra) Live Recording, 2CD 1988 US $12.97 Buy It Now 14h 6m
Marillion - Brave (CD 1994) US $12.97 Buy It Now 14h 19m
MARILLION 45 PICTURE SLEEVE SIGNED BY FISH LEAD SINGER US $10.00 [0 bids]
Marillion Incommunicado 7" Single - VVG US $0.81 [0 bids]
MARILLION - A SUNDAY NIGHT ABOVE THE RAIN - 2 CD + 2 DVD PROMO + A4 PRESS 2014 US $197.85 [19 bids]
MARILLION Alone Again in 3 LIVE TRX UK CD Single USA Seller SEALED lap of Luxury US $34.99 Buy It Now 16h 17m
MARILLION Hollow man w/ ORCHESTRAL & UNRELEASE TRK CD Single USA Seller SEALED US $29.99 Buy It Now 16h 17m
MARILLION No One Can w/ REMIX & ACOUSTIC TRK CD Single USA Seller SEALED 1994 US $34.99 Buy It Now 16h 17m
MARILLION Alone Again in 3 LIVE TRX & EDIT UK CD single lap of Luxury USA Seller US $34.99 Buy It Now 16h 19m
MARILLION Sympathy w/ Kayleigh LIVE & Walk on Water 5 INCH MIX UK CD single 1992 US $34.99 Buy It Now 16h 19m
MARILLION Hollow man w/UNRELEASED Trx MAROUATTE JAM UK CD single USA Seller 1994 US $34.99 Buy It Now 16h 19m
MARILLION "UNINVITED GUEST" PICTURE DISC Import US $25.00 Buy It Now 16h 28m
MARILLION: Script For A Jester's Tear LP (v. sl cw, lite indents oc) Rock US $15.00 Buy It Now 17h 24m
Marillion Freaks live / Kayleigh live SHAPE UK US $49.00 [0 bids]
MARILLION - Script For A Jester's Tear - CD Album + Bonus CD *Remastered**2 CDs* US $14.58 Buy It Now 17h 51m
Fish ex. Marillion live concert very small mini poster print A5 size US $24.31 Buy It Now 18h 18m
MARILLION -1 PAGE PIN UP ADVERT POSTER FROM 80s No1 MAGAZINE MISPLACED CHILDHOOD US $8.09 Buy It Now 18h 30m
Marillion Live at the High Voltage Festival 2010 (2 CD) New & Sealed US $14.58 Buy It Now 18h 51m
FISH INTERNAL EXILE LP PROMOTIONAL BRAZIL 1991 WITH PRESS RELEASE Marillion US $99.99 Buy It Now 18h 52m
Marillion - Sounds That Can't Be Made, Japan +obi, 2 CDs incl. bonus live disc US $22.99 Buy It Now 19h 2m
Marillion - The Singles 1982-1988 - Greatest Hits (3CD 2009) NEW/SEALED US $21.05 Buy It Now 19h 50m
Marillion - Seasons End CASSETTE 1989 EMI TCEMD-1011 / 24HR POST US $5.50 Buy It Now 20h 3m
MARILLION -LESS IS MORE - 11 TRACK CD -2009 -UK FREE FASTPOST US $9.71 Buy It Now 20h 24m
MARILLION Misplaced Childhood Prog Rock Gatefold LP 1985 Made In England Issue US $19.00 Buy It Now 20h 47m
Marillion - Six of One, Half-Dozen of the Other (1992 CD QUALITY CHECKED US $6.47 Buy It Now 21h 50m
NEW - Marillion.Com by Marillion US $30.55 Buy It Now 22h 12m
Marillion Live From Cadogan Hall 2 CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 23h 24m
MARILLION-Script for a Jester's Tear Picture Disc LP UK original EMI #3429 Mint US $75.00 [0 bids]
MARILLION THE THIEVING MAGPIE LP US $5.99 [0 bids]
Fugazi by Marillion (Vinyl, 1984, EMI Catalogue) US $9.99 [0 bids]
B-Sides Themselves by Marillion LP 1988, Emi US $5.99 [0 bids]
MARILLION - RADIATION + 2. JAPAN.OBI US $5.99 [1 bids]

More places to buy MARILLION music online Buy MARILLION & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MARILLION DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MARILLION Kayleigh ratings distribution

MARILLION Kayleigh reviews

Review by Trotsky
3 stars This is one of those budget best-ofs that I picked up when I was just switching to the CD format. It covers just Fish-era Marillion, and as it includes three great B-sides not available on the four original studio LPs (Scripts For A Jester's Tear, Fugazi, Misplaced Childhood and Clutching At Straws) the band put out during that golden period, I think I will hold on to it. Because of some glaring omissions, I have little doubt that a superior single CD compilation to cover this era could have been conjured up, but there really is some great neo-prog on here, and I'm sure it would make for a decent introduction to the band.

The greatest selling point (to proggers at least) has to be the 17 minute fantasy epic Grendel, which was initially issued only as part of an EP that showcased Marillion's first single Market Square Heroes. It is clearly influenced by early Genesis, although I feel the main part of the song suffers from a lightweight sound that doesn't match the epic tone of Fish's impassioned performance (the drum sound is really pathetic). Nonetheless there's enough class from guitarist Steve Rothery and keyboardist Mark Kelly to make sure this song is still one of the greatest prog moments of the 80s.

There are many fine songs here. The excellent ominous accusatory He Knows You Know, with some kick-ass Kelly synth lines that underpin the chorus, is one. Jigsaw which spends half its time being barely audible, and the other half soaring on a beautiful Fish chorus is another. Another B-side, Cinderella Search, is a memorable hard-rocker that drips with melancholy, while Lady Nina and Torch Song boast that massive Marillion sound I've come to love. There are also two classic slices of Marillion pop from the group's chart-topping album Misplaced Childhood ... Kayleigh and Lavender (which actually had to be extended to be long enough to be a single).

I don't quite like Punch & Judy, and the omission of early singles Market Square Heroes and Assassing, not to mention huge chuncks of the excellent Script For A Jester's Tear album as well as later efforts like the awesome Incommunicado and Warm Wet Circles, gives this compilation a pretty haphazard feel. Also Marillion fans who've bought B'Sides Themselves will have no use for this record. I have to admit though, that this is a convenient little pocket-sized snapshot of Marillion. ... 61% on the MPV scale

Send comments to Trotsky (BETA) | Report this review (#36940) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 19, 2005

Review by Tristan Mulders
2 stars Marillion - Kayleigh

In the mid 90s, several low profile record labels, "Disky" among others, decided to release compilation discs of Marillion's backcatalogue (with Fish). This release here is mostly a collection of singles, b-sides and a rare album track. Though the choices for the songs are obvious, I still do not have this release in high regard.

The fact that it is identical to the "Essential Collection" disc, except for the artwork, seems a bit like fanboy-exploitation to my ears. Surely most Marillion fans already own the songs included in this compilation and this release will therefore most likely only be bought by people who are totally unfamiliar with the band (Mainly buying it because it is so cheap, the average price is ? 5,-) or are die hard collectors of the bands output.

This album does not work as a singles collection, but also not as a brief overview of The Fish Years. I recommend to purchase another compilation on the Disky label instead. 2003's "Warm Wet Circles" is also a cheap compilation disc, but at least it features typical Marillion songs from the Fish era, mind you no Fugazi-related stuff included though.

Send comments to Tristan Mulders (BETA) | Report this review (#80214) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 03, 2006

Review by evenless
3 stars Cheap compilation or great introduction to the early Marillion?

I probably picked up this Marillion compilation disc some ten years ago for a couple of bucks. (guilders actually). I guess it got my interest because I wasn't too familiar with Marillion yet and who's going to miss 10 guilders (around 5 euros) anyway?

Of course I knew their hit single Kayleigh, but furthermore all tracks I was unfamiliar with. And I must say what a surprise was the opening track "Grendel" to me! Wow! This track was initially some B-side I believe and later on re-released in 1997 as a bonus disc for the Script Of A Jester's Tear album. This track has all Prog elements in it that make the genre so appealing: many shifting moods, soft vocals, loud vocals, great drumming and wonderful guitar play. I fell completely in love with this song and think it's one of Marillion's highlights.

Then of course there's "Kayleigh", but the other 7 tracks are all really worth it as well. So what is my final conclusion/rating on this compilation disc? Difficult! As to Marillion fans this release is completely irrelevant and abundant. But to people who aren't or weren't familiar with the Fish-era Marillion yet, I would highly recommend it! But as from 1997 I my recommendation would probably go out to the re-issue of the 1983 Script . album.

So probably 2 stars for Marillion fans, but 4 stars for newbie's.

Send comments to evenless (BETA) | Report this review (#114997) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars From my early reviews onwards, you know that I am almost working chronologically. This means that I'll review whatever is possible of the great Fish Marillion era before starting with their second period.

I am an old dirty freak. Having experienced all major rock influences during the last thirty five years. You can easily know where my roots are in terms of prog, should you just ckick on my reviewer nickname and have a look at my reviews.

I have already said that I discovered Marillion only a few years ago (2001). A colleague of mine introduced me to "Misplaced". And here we go.

I was just nuts about the band (although I belong to the "No More Heroes" generation). I started a crazy Marillion quest, wanting to grab whatever was possible (official releases or not - and believe me, there are an awful lot of great unofficial releases) from the Fish era of course.

Some will argue that he is trying to emulate Peter (I guess you all know whom I am talking about). Yes, you are right. So, what ?

I spent fabulous years listening to one of the most fanstastic and creative band on earth : Genesis.

I was only 15 at that time (1974) and emotion was already a major theme for me. For lots of reasons (which I soon will outline in my reviewer profile), I put a hold to any prog music in 1978. Little by little my enourmous love for this this music grew back. And all of a sudden, I discovered Marillion.

Very few times in my life I will be transported to such a level of souvenirs. It seemed that "Script" almost reverted me into the glorious days (you know, the early seventies ones).

I am EXTREMELLY thankfull to Marillion to have brought me back there.

There will be lots of compilation works from the Fish era. I have to say that this is a good one. It features some of the most achieved Marillion songs (although lots of progheads are reluctant when listening to it). Yes, "Grendel". I do not know how many friends I turned into a Marillion fan thanks to this one.

Thanks to the liner notes, you will discover some useful informaton about the band and their charting history.

All the songs featured here are extremely catchy and belong to the poppiest early Marillion repertoire. Except "Grendel" of course. I bought this one several years ago in London (city to which I use to go every year with my brother to buy some interesting stuff and attend great concert like "The Musical Box" in 2005 as well as 2007 (at the Royal Albert Hall).

Even if several songs are edited, they belong to the classic early Marillion repertoire. As such I would rate this compilation with four stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#123518) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 26, 2007

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars I only got hold of this for 'Grendel' and it was a nice budget way of grabbing this ecletic immortal epic track. All the other tracks are simply easy to get Marillion from their best albums to this point. Kayleigh is such a brilliant track I could listen to it as infinitum however I missed that beautiful intro 'Pseudo Silk Kimodo' so I recommend the CD 'Misplaced Childhood' over this of course.

Back to 'Grendel' - it is 17 minutes of pure prog bliss and simply one of the greatest epic length tracks I have heard along with Genesis' Suppers Ready or Caravans' Nine Feet Underground.

The other tracks on this compilation are all fan favourites so grab this out of the bargain bin and enjoy the best of these masters of neo prog.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#224284) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 02, 2009

Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
2 stars I've made the mistake of buying this album after having already bought B'Sides Themselves. What EMI has done is just replacing a couple of songs respect to B'Sides and propose almost the same package giving it a title that should have been more attractive. Kayleigh was and probably is still the only big success that Marillion had with the mainstream consumers, recognisable also by those were not aware of an album called Misplaced Childhood.

Even if almost identical to B'sides I can't give it the same rating as it came after and doesn't add anything to the previous.

Marillion fans can stay away as they already have all the music inside, non-fans can start from anything else.

An useless album released only to make some cash with old material. Very bad that the same material has been used twice for the same purpose.

I see no reasons to buy it, neither the sleeve design which includes shots from the first albums with the exception of the one which gives the title that's replaced by B'sides, like it was considered an official one from which making a compilation. I think Torch Song was actually unreleased, but this doesn't change the rating.

Send comments to octopus-4 (BETA) | Report this review (#457612) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 06, 2011

4 stars A range of old (Fish-period) songs for a very low price (about seven euro in Holland), but NOT POP-ORIENTATED! Even people who just want to buy the popular Kayleigh-song, are immediately confrontated with Grendel, one of the strongest progressive songs after the seventies. That makes this album grea ... (read more)

Report this review (#12344) | Posted by Eb.Eb. | Monday, December 22, 2003 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MARILLION "Kayleigh"