COMING UP FOR AIR

Good, but non-essential

Buy KAYAK Music
Studio Album, released in 2008

1. Alienation (3:55)
2. Man in the Cocoon (2:53)
3. Time Stand Still (3:21)
4. Freezing (3:50)
5. Medea (3:47)
6. Daughter of the Moon (3:41)
7. Undecided (4:09)
8. Sad State of Affairs (4:23)
9. About You Without You (3:16)
10. The Mask and the Mirror (4:45)
11. Selfmade Castle (3:33)
12. What I'm About to Say (4:24)
13. Wonderful Day (3:44)
14. Broken White (4:25)
15. Coming Up For Air (6:12)

Search KAYAK Coming Up For Air lyrics

- Rob Vunderink / (lead) vocals, electric guitar
- Joost Vergoossen / electric & acoustic guitar
- Jan van Olffen / bass

2008 Write On Productions, Marketed by SMH Recordings

Thanks to Niccollo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

KAYAK MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KAYAK Coming Up For Air Music

Audio CD$49.98 (used)
Starlight DancerStarlight Dancer
Universal Uk/Zoom 2010
KAYAK:EYEWITNESS/PROG US $10.07 Buy It Now 3h 8m
KAYAK - Royal Red Bouncer (PROMO) 1975 Prog Rock GATEFOLD Janus US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 54m
KAYAK Royal Bed Bouncer 1975 Dutch pressed vinyl LP EXCELLENT CONDITION US $28.56 Buy It Now 4h 43m
Kayak - Coming Up For Air CD (2013 Renaissance USA) US $12.99 Buy It Now 7h 3m
? Kayak - Starlight Dancer (Janus 7034) (a Dutch group) US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 45m
Kayak - Close To The Fire (CD, 2013 Renaissance Records) US $12.99 Buy It Now 10h 6m
KAYAK LP STARLIGHT DANCER JANUS US $7.99 [0 bids]
Kayak - Royal Bed Bouncer 1975 Janus original LP Dutch Prog US $11.99 Buy It Now 13h 49m
KAYAK PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT NUMBERED ED 1978 12" PICTURE DISC JANUS XS 7039 RARE US $90.00 [0 bids]
KAYAK - Phantom of Night - Original 1979 US LP SEALED! US $9.98 Buy It Now 15h 8m
KAYAK - Starlight Dancer - Original 1977 US LP SEALED! US $24.98 Buy It Now 15h 8m
KAYAK - "Periscope Life"/"Astral Aliens" 1980 7" SEALED 1st HOLLAND (Vertigo) US $23.88 Buy It Now 21h
Kayak - Periscope Life/Last Encore CD US $27.79 Buy It Now 22h 21m
KAYAK Close to the Fire CD US $25.21 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK Letters From Utopia 2-CD 19 tracks NEW/UNPLAYED US $33.60 Buy It Now 1 day
MAX WERNER (KAYAK) "Rain In May" 1981 7" 1st US PROMO ONLY INDY (Radio Records) US $21.88 Buy It Now 1 day
Phantom of the Night Kayak Vinyl LP US $33.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Kayak Original Hits, Import from Netherlands, Dinky Comm. (BA 860342). US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Jan Akkerman Kaz Lux Focus Kayak 1977 Programme US $42.01 Buy It Now 2 days
CD-Kayak-The Very Best of dutch prog psych US $8.99 [0 bids]
KAYAK Phantom of The Night JAPAN LP RJ-7573 US $20.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Kayak - Phantom of the Night - Prog Rock/Pop NM-1978 Janus Rare Orig OOP US $2.99 [0 bids]
? KAYAK - STARLIGHT DANCER LP ROCK 1977 US $2.99 [0 bids]
@ CD Edward Reekers - Stages RARE DUTCH AOR KAYAK - SOUND PRODUCTS 1992 ORG US $49.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Phantom Of The Night - Kayak (CD 2009) US $8.99 Buy It Now 3 days
KAYAK - PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT (180GM) NEW VINYL US $47.02 Buy It Now 3 days
Ton Scherpenzeel The lion's dream - 2013 Digipack / Kayak Camel US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Kayak ROCK LP (Janus JXS 7039) Phantom of the Night STILL SEALED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! US $6.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Kayak-Phantom Of The Night-Sealed Lp Vinyl Record-Janus-9098-7039 Ruthless Queen US $8.99 [0 bids]
Kayak - Merlin +1 (SHM-CD) Mini Lp (Camel, Earth and fire) US $35.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Kayak / See See The Sun USA LP Promo Punch Dutch Prog Harvest ST-11305 US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Ton Scherpenzeel-Heart Of The Universe (Kayak keys)1984 Dutch CNR 655.202 M/M(-) US $23.99 Buy It Now 3 days
KAYAK PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT LP 1978 ORIGINAL DUTCH VERTIGO SPACESHIP US $20.15 Buy It Now 3 days
LP-Kayak-Royal Bed Bouncer~'75 Dutch PROG Killer LP ~Camel YES US $14.99 [0 bids]
45 rpm - KAYAK - I Want You To Be Mine / Irene - Janus 274 - MINT 1978 US $5.95 Buy It Now 4 days
45 rpm - KAYAK - Keep The Change / Ivory Dance - Janus 278 - VG 1979 US $4.95 Buy It Now 4 days
Kayak Ruthless Queen / Ivory Dance Holland 7" 45 PS Rare Prog Vertigo 6012961 US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Kayak-Merlin Dutch prog Japanese SHM-CD Mini lp US $35.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Kayak Periscope Life / Astral Aliens 7' 45 PS Vertigo 6017 061 Holland US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK Starlight Dancer 12" Record **UNTESTED** US $5.00 [0 bids]
Kayak Phantom of Night Vertigo Swirl Prog Holland 7" Pic Sleeve 45 Ballad For US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK-STARLIGHT DANCER WLP rock LP US $25.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Kayak holland LP Phantom of the Night US $9.75 Buy It Now 4 days
Phantom of the Night by Kayak [Vinyl VG++ | Cover VG+] US $10.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Kayak - Starlight Dancer - ORIGINAL 1977 Prog LP - SEALED! US $14.24 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT "SEALED" VINYL LP US $12.73 Buy It Now 4 days
Kayak Phantom of the night LP, VG play tested. US $2.63 Buy It Now 4 days
Kayak / Eyewitness +2 KOREA CD new SI WAN US $18.99 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK Royal Bed Bounder WHITE LABEL PROMO LP 1975 US $21.00 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK - Phantom Of The Night US $14.00 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK Children Of The Night Limited Coloured 180G Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED MOV US $38.58 Buy It Now 5 days
Kayak: Periscope Life 1980 Mercury SRM-1-3824 SEALED LP Vinyl Record US $19.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Sealed Kayak Phantom of the Night LP Record US $6.99 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK: I Want You To Be Mine/Irene (rock prog VG++ vinyl 45 CANADA) US $12.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Kayak Record LP Royal Red Bouncer Orig rock Janus Label gatefold VG++ US $8.50 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK nr mint vinyl lp PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT US $5.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Classics/Kayak/new cd US $10.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Kayak - phantom of the night 1979 US $0.99 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK Phantom of The Night JAPAN LP RJ-7573 US $28.00 Buy It Now 5 days
THE PRESIDENT By Appointment Of JAPAN 28.3P-516 / Kayak US $18.00 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK - KAYAK - NEW CD US $24.54 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK - Phantom Of The Night (reissue) - limited 180 gram coloured vinyl LP US $37.80 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK THE BEST OF IMPORT LP RECORD US $9.99 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK - Royal bed bouncer Dutch prog LP 1975 × LISTEN × early Genesis style US $25.00 [0 bids]
KAYAK - Starlight Dancer Dutch sympho prog LP 1976 × LISTEN × US $23.00 [0 bids]
KAYAK "Eyewitness" OOP! Remaster Top Dutch prog psych Focus Golden Earring US $8.99 [0 bids]
SUPERSISTER "Present Fram Nancy" REMASTER w/ 4 BONUS 70s Dutch prog FOCUS KAYAK US $13.99 [0 bids]
KAYAK Starlight Dancer/Phantom.." OOP 2-on-1 70s Dutch prog psych Golden Earring US $8.99 [0 bids]
KAYAK - ROYAL BED BOUNCER NEW CD US $30.40 Buy It Now 6 days
Kayak - Phantom of the Night LP 1979 Janus Records US $1.00 [0 bids]
Kayak - Starlight Dancer LP 1977 Janus Records US $1.00 [0 bids]
KAYAK DANZANTE DE ESTRELLAS LP ARGENTINA EX US $13.00 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK DANZANTE DE ESTRELLAS LP ARGENTINA NM US $16.00 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK FANTASMA EN LA NOCHE LP ARGENTINA NM US $17.00 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK FANTASMA EN LA NOCHE LP ARGENTINA VG++ US $14.00 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK GUARDATE EL / MANERAS COMPRADORAS 7" ARGENTINA US $13.00 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK MIRA MIRA EL SOL LP URUGUAY US $16.00 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK ROCK EN EL TIEMPO LP ARGENTINA ONLY US $19.00 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK STARLIGHT DANCER LP BRAZIL US $17.00 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK VIDA PERISCOPICA PRO LP ARGENTINA US $19.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Royal Bed Bouncer Kayak CD US $11.60 Buy It Now 6 days
Kayak / See See The Sun (rmst) CD US $11.78 Buy It Now 6 days
Kayak CD US $11.60 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK EYEWITNESS 1981 JAPAN CD OBI 2500yen KICP 1ST PRESS US $79.99 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK (DUTCH SYMPH/PROG/PSYCH) MAMMOTH (THEIR RARE 1973 2ND. 7"SINGLE) US $5.99 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK see see the sun 5C 056-24933 A/B dutch emi 1973 LP PS EX/VG+ with insert US $34.19 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK Phantom Of The Night 8 Track tape STILL SEALED US $8.88 Buy It Now 7 days
Kayak,Kayak,Matrix A-1 & B-2,LP US $23.52 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK - Royal Bed Bouncer - '75 Dutch band prog psych LP - USA Janus label - NM US $30.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Kayak - See See The Sun [CD New] US $14.58 Buy It Now 7 days
Kayak [CD New] US $14.58 Buy It Now 7 days
Kayak - Royal Bed Bouncer [CD New] US $14.57 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK - PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT LP US $4.00 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK - KAYAK (BONUS) (TRACKS) NEW CD US $30.40 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK - SEE SEE THE SUN (BONUS) (TRACK) NEW CD US $30.40 Buy It Now 7 days
Kayak 'Phantom Of The Night' LP US $3.99 Buy It Now 7 days

More places to buy KAYAK music online Buy KAYAK & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KAYAK DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KAYAK Coming Up For Air ratings distribution

KAYAK Coming Up For Air reviews

Review by friso
2 stars And what a surprise this was. I actually thought Kayak was pulling it's last breath. The new album Coming up for Air is the proof for me being wrong. Though I wouldn't consider it as very progressive, it's good music! Al nice crossoverprog songs presented in a speed which make it sound like a young band. Actually, the recording and mixing is one of the best mixes I heard lately. One song ends, directly starts the next. It makes Coming up for Air a fresh record, still keeping moments of relaxation because of the beautifull ballads. If pop wasn't so corrupted and brainless these days, this could have been a very high regarded album. As for me - I don't think its essential for prog, cause is just isn't very progressive, BUT... it's a very nice record to listen to! You might recommend it also to friends who don't very much like the complexity of prog. I did and had very positive reactions.

2 stars, but a very good record! ...and:... Kayak is alive!

Send comments to friso (BETA) | Report this review (#163749) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Review by laplace
1 stars Here's an album that presents the listener literally with nothing but clichés and convention, containing no songs as such, but simply funnelling half a century of rock foundation work through the fingers of musicians with little to add then slicing it into generic product of suitable length. The whole affair glistens slimily with an unpleasantly unironic sheen.

You already have a better version of this album in your collection. (and you should probably throw it out.)

Send comments to laplace (BETA) | Report this review (#168394) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Review by octopus-4
COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
3 stars I was looking for something able to remind me the Camel. I knew they awere the group of Ton Scherpenzeel so I purchased this album. It really surprised me. Laplace is right saying that it's just prog-pop, but for a reason that I can't understand, this album is running in my car stereo since 3 weeks and I'm unable to stop listening to it. The first track, Alienation, is based on a nice keyboard riff and the vocals are strong and warm at the same time. Man in the Cocoon is technically speaking, probably the best track of the album. What I find really remarkable is the sequence of songs that starts with Freezing to Death, falls into the Camel style Daughter of The Moon and ends in the most commercial track of the album: Undecided. This last is just a pop-rock song, but it's well played, it includes some variations in the pitch and most of all, the vocals are incredible. This song trasmits a lot of energy. The following track Sad State of Affair reminded me the Beatles. About You Withouy You is effectively weak, but not so bad. Selfmade Castle is another pop-rock song (remember GTR ?) What I'm about to Say is a slow love song. Wonderful Day could have been taken from Camel's Breathless or Rain Dances, pure Canterbury style. Broken White is one of my favourite, again in Camel's style. Coming Up For Air is probably the only real progressive song of the album. It's only rock and roll, but I like it.... not worse than GTR not great like Camel, three stars and half, really.

Send comments to octopus-4 (BETA) | Report this review (#218324) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars After two "musical" albums (Merlin's remake as well Nostradamus), the band seems to pursue the same musical direction. I have to admit that this one is not on par with its predecessors (at least the Merlin one).

The music pictured here sounds more metal oriented (some sort of a soft approach to "Ayreon" during "Man In The Cocoon") combined with their pop-rock and easily accessible music ("Time Stand Still"). Some "Mostly Autumn" or even "Renaissance" feel as well while "Freezing" caresses your ears. Excellent vocal part from the lady in charge (Cindy Oudshoorn who has already appeared on earlier "Kayak" recordings).

I quite prefer while she sings: she is much more convincing than her male counterparts (especially when the mellowish "Daughter Of The Moon" is being played). But that's only how I feel. I guess that this album might work better if you could see it (like a musical as they have done for "Merlin"). As such, this album is not really exciting.

There are some attempts to combine and produce better arranged song à la "10CC" but the model doesn't need to be worried: they have quite a leading here even if "Sad State Of Affairs" is one of my fave songs on this album. Probably due to this relationship I assume. On the other hand, I quite dislike the polyphonic approach of "The Mask & The Mirror" which is only saved thanks to a very good guitar solo. Same applies to the poor "Wonderful Day" (but with no guitar break).

The vocal performance from Cindy is a definite highlight during her parts; just figure out how great she sounds during the title and closing song. She is just great.

IMHHO, it is one of their weakest effort to date. I know that I have been rather gentle with the band so far, but after all I found their music quite joyful and good. This "Coming Up For Air" is not on par and won't rate higher than two stars. An average and conventional album. Well produced, performed by skilled musicians but lacking in good song writing.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#247381) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 30, 2009

3 stars 3.5 stars ... Really! I see this album has a low rating. I respect the opinions / ratings of others. We all hear different things and have different tastes. The same album(s)/song(s) speak differently to many of us. What makes the world interesting is people can see different things ... (read more)

Report this review (#1060485) | Posted by progbaby | Tuesday, October 15, 2013 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Generic and boring. Nothing catchy, nothing prog. Just another band from the 70s trying to return. And it was really bad. Coming Up For Air is something poor, filled with slow pop ballads. The vocalist (male) sounds sad, but that kind of boring sad people, that want to cry to you and you ca ... (read more)

Report this review (#967653) | Posted by VOTOMS | Friday, May 31, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Well quite long years since Nostradamus, Not as good as their before album,but good too,with the freshness of their female vocalist. There are quite similarities to last Magenta, M.Autumn and Karnataka. Songs could have been longer and that's the most important thing i miss. All the rest is OK. ... (read more)

Report this review (#163359) | Posted by robbob | Friday, March 07, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Descent progrock from the Netherlands. Female singer Cindy Oudshoorn steals the show with her classy and passionate sound. It directly made me think of Kaipa's Keyholder. I have only listened to the disk one single time, but no doubt it'll need some more turns for me to really catch up with the b ... (read more)

Report this review (#162836) | Posted by Niccollo | Thursday, February 28, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KAYAK "Coming Up For Air"