COMING UP FOR AIR

Good, but non-essential

Buy KAYAK Music
Studio Album, released in 2008

1. Alienation (3:55)
2. Man in the Cocoon (2:53)
3. Time Stand Still (3:21)
4. Freezing (3:50)
5. Medea (3:47)
6. Daughter of the Moon (3:41)
7. Undecided (4:09)
8. Sad State of Affairs (4:23)
9. About You Without You (3:16)
10. The Mask and the Mirror (4:45)
11. Selfmade Castle (3:33)
12. What I'm About to Say (4:24)
13. Wonderful Day (3:44)
14. Broken White (4:25)
15. Coming Up For Air (6:12)

Search KAYAK Coming Up For Air lyrics

- Rob Vunderink / (lead) vocals, electric guitar
- Joost Vergoossen / electric & acoustic guitar
- Jan van Olffen / bass

2008 Write On Productions, Marketed by SMH Recordings

Thanks to Niccollo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

KAYAK MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KAYAK Coming Up For Air Music

Universal Int'l 2002
EyewitnessEyewitness
Extra tracks · Import
Pidm 1999
KAYAK IVORY DENCE KEEP THE CHANGE USA NM UNPLAYED 45rpm VEI 13 ACL US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 54m
Kayak - Keep The Change + Ivory Dence - 1979 Janus 7" 45 RPM Single! US $6.99 [0 bids]
Kayak-Merilin Dutch prog cd US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 27m
Kayak-Eyewitness Dutch prog cd US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 28m
Kayak Phantom of the Night Kayak LP KSHE classic US $4.00 Buy It Now 9h 22m
1st Press 1A/1A 1975 KAYAK royal bed bouncer LP Mint- Promo Label JXS 7023 US $13.50 Buy It Now 10h 15m
KAYAK - Merlin - Bard Of The Unseen CD with OBI US $14.99 Buy It Now 12h 51m
Ton Scherpenzeel The lion's dream - 2013 Digipack / Kayak Camel US $24.99 Buy It Now 15h
KAYAK - PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT LP US $4.00 Buy It Now 17h 55m
Kayak-Eyewitness Dutch prog Japanese SHM-CD Mini lp US $34.99 Buy It Now 18h 31m
@ CD Ton Scherpenzeel - Heart Of The Universe MEGARARE KAYAK / CNR RECS 1984 ORG US $99.99 Buy It Now 19h 19m
KAYAK Phantom Of The Night 8 Track tape STILL SEALED US $8.88 Buy It Now 19h 49m
KAYAK Starlight Dancer 12" Record **UNTESTED** US $10.00 Buy It Now 21h
Kayak - 50 Jaar Nederpop [CD New] US $17.99 Buy It Now 22h 13m
Last Encore [IMPORT] by Kayak (May-2002, Universal/Mercury) BRAND NEW SEALED CD US $9.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Kayak - See See The Sun (NEW CD) US $18.02 Buy It Now 1 day
Kayak ?- Starlight Dancer LP Vinyl JXS 7034 US $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LP HOLLAND PRESS - KAYAK (THE LAST ENCORE) - 1976 - VERTIGO 6360 854 with insert US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
LP HOLLAND PRESS - KAYAK (STARLIGHT DANCER)- ALT.COVER - 1977 - VERTIGO 6360 856 US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT LP 1978 ORIGINAL DUTCH VERTIGO SPACESHIP US $16.02 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK - PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT - 1978 - STEREO - JANUS JXS-7039 - DUTCH GROUP US $14.00 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK - "The Last Encore" LP 1976 ORIG EARLY GERMAN PRESS - Vertigo US $22.88 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK starlight dancer LP Mint- JXS-7034 Vinyl 1977 Record US $6.75 Buy It Now 1 day
Kayak - 50 Jaar Nederpop CD US $19.11 Buy It Now 1 day
## KAYAK - STARLIGHT DANCER LP ROCK 1977 ####################################### US $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Kayak - Phantom Of The Night Import-EU Vinyl Record LP US $37.21 Buy It Now 1 day
Kayak - Kayak - ECLEC2336 US $16.88 Buy It Now 1 day
Kayak - See See The Sun - ECLEC2335 US $16.88 Buy It Now 1 day
EARTH AND FIRE "Atlantis" RM +3 Top 70's Dutch Mellotron prog psych Focus Kayak US $11.99 [0 bids]
EARTH AND FIRE s/t RM + 2 bonus Top 70's Dutch prog psych Focus Kayak US $11.99 [0 bids]
KAYAK phantom of the night LP VG+ Promo JXS 7039 USA Wlp 1978 Prog Rock US $18.00 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK Royal Bed Bouncer Prog Holland Record Bury The World You're So Bizarre US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK: I Want You To Be Mine (rock & pop vinyl 45) US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK - EYEWITNESS - BRAND NEW SEALED CD - SHIPS FROM NEW YORK US $9.98 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK - PERISCOPE LIFE / LAST ENCORE NEW CD US $21.68 Buy It Now 1 day
Kayak - Starlight Dancer CD US $6.40 [0 bids]
Kayak - The Last Encore CD US $6.40 [1 bids]
Kayak - Kayak CD (2012) Remastered + Bonus Tracks US $6.40 [0 bids]
1979 KAYAK 45 IVORY DENCE / DANCE MISSPELL ERROR NEAR MINT VINYL US $0.99 [0 bids]
KAYAK: Eyewitness LP (Netherlands '81 original, 'Jem' import stoc, inner sleeve US $20.00 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK LP STARLIGHT DANCER JANUS US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
RAY BROWN - KAYAK NEW CD US $23.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Kayak-Periscope Life 1980 US Mercury SRM 1-3824 cc SIS/M- A=dual label oddity!! US $15.99 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK "Royal Bed Bouncer" Original PROMO LP from 1975 (Janus JXS-7023). US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK "Phantom Of The Night" original STILL SEALED LP from 1978 (Janus JXS-7039) US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Kayak + Old Man And The Sea JAPAN MINI LP EMPTY PROMO BOX (no CD) US $49.99 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK Keep The Change b/w Ivory Dence STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
1978 KAYAK I Want You To Be Mine 7" 45 rpm PROMO Janus J-2274 Stereo Mono NM- US $5.80 Buy It Now 2 days
Night Vision : Kayak JAPAN CD OBI K1165 US $7.99 [0 bids]
KAYAK Phantom Of The Night LP 10 Track With Inner Sleeve (jxs7039) US Janus 1979 US $12.78 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK See See The Sun LP 9 Track Light Wear To Cover And Has Sticker On Front Of US $30.38 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK Starlight Dancer LP 11 Track With Inner Seam Split On The Spine Of The Sle US $14.38 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK 'Ruthless Queen' 1978 Dutch 7"/45 vinyl single US $6.40 Buy It Now 2 days
Kayak Starlight Dancer / Phantom Of The Night SEALED 1988 German 2 on 1 CD Camel US $15.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Ray Great Big Band Brown - Kayak [CD New] US $16.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Kayak - Periscope Life/Last Encore [CD New] US $18.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Kayak - Eyewitness +2B CD *SEALED* SI WAN / RARE US $13.49 Buy It Now 3 days
JNS-7039 KAYAK Phantom Of The Night OOP NEW 12" Vinyl Record Rock US $8.99 [0 bids]
Kayak Starlight Dancer LP US $4.00 Buy It Now 3 days
KAYAK starlight dancer Lp RECORD 1977 US $9.75 Buy It Now 3 days
Kayak - Periscope Life/Last Encore CD US $19.79 Buy It Now 3 days
Kayak. Phantom of the night. Janus records JXS7039.~Vinyl NM~Shrink US $7.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Camel / Mirage (remaster) +4 bonus tracks 2002 Kayak - Caravan US $0.95 [0 bids]
Camel / Snow Goose (remaster) +5 bonus tracks 2002 Kayak / Caravan US $0.95 [0 bids]
Camel / MoonMadness (remaster) +5 bonus tracks 2002 Kayak / Caravan US $0.95 [0 bids]
Phantom of the Night - Kayak New & Sealed LP Free Shipping US $39.33 Buy It Now 3 days
Sealed Kayak Phantom of the Night LP Record US $5.99 [0 bids]
KAYAK Periscope Life '80 prog.rock ORIGINAL 1st US press LP US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
KAYAK Phantom Of The Night '78 prog.rock 1st press LP US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
KAYAK WANT YOU BE MINE IRENE UNPLAYED? 7 in 45rpm INTL SHIP DEALS p242 US $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Kayak- Eyewitness + 3 bonus tracks (SHM-CD) Mini Lp ((Camel, Earth and fire) US $36.99 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK - "Periscope Life" LP 1980 ORIG 1st US PROMO w/INSERT - No UPC US $22.88 Buy It Now 4 days
Kayak - Eyewitness + 2 BT 1981 LTD cd Ton Scherpenzeel Earth and Fire Ayreon RAR US $22.90 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK - "Phantom Of The Night" LP 1978 US 1st WL PROMO - JANUS - w/INNER US $21.88 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK Phantom Of The Night HOLLAND Original LP Vertigo 1978 Free/Safe Shipping ! US $35.95 Buy It Now 4 days
Kayak SEALED Picture Disc LP Phantom In The Night 1978 Prog Numbered Mint US $44.99 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK: Periscope Life (rock & pop vinyl LP) US $8.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Kayak-Starlight Dancer 1977 U.S. Promo Janus JXS 7034 cc EX--/M Immaculate vinyl US $5.00 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK ( PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT ) 1978 ISSUED VG+ LP US $2.29 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK: Best Of LP (Netherlands, sl cw) Rock & Pop US $15.00 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK - STARLIGHT DANCER -PROMO 33rpm LP BRS1 US $6.95 [0 bids]
KAYAK 'PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT' US IMPORT LP US $32.05 Buy It Now 5 days
Kayak 45 I WANT YOU TO BE MINE / IRENE inst. ~ Janus VG+ prog pop rock US $3.38 Buy It Now 5 days
Kayak - Royal Bed Bouncer (NEW CD) US $18.02 Buy It Now 5 days
Kayak - Phantom Of The Night (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $33.65 Buy It Now 5 days
TWP Helpless CD 4 Track UK Kayak 2000 US $8.40 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK LP PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT JANUS WHITE LABEL PROMO US $6.99 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK SEAGULL VERTIGO 45 & PS FREE COMBINED U.S. SHIPPING US $3.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Kayak: Ivory Dance / Keep the Change [Unplayed Copy] US $11.97 Buy It Now 6 days
? Kayak - Phantom of the Night (Janus 7039) (sealed) (a Dutch group) US $14.99 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK LP PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT 1979 JANUS US $4.75 Buy It Now 6 days
Kayak(Vinyl LP Gatefold)Royal Red Bouncer-Vertigo-6360 853-Netherlands-Ex/NM US $48.08 Buy It Now 6 days
Kayak-Eyewitness + Merlin 2 cds in slipcase Dutch prog US $16.99 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK Starlight Dancer 8 Track Tape US $12.88 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK Phantom Of The Night LP 1979 Janus Records Made in Canada Vinyl VG+/VG US $6.29 Buy It Now 7 days
Original Hits by Kayak -- NEW CD Import Rock Netherlands US $50.00 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK SEE SEE THE SUN RARE OOP CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK - Ass - 12" US $16.98 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK STARLIGHT DANCER LP 531 US $8.99 Buy It Now 7 days
17 TOP HITS - LP ARG. KISS STATUS QUO CHER GLORIA GAYNOR DIRE STRAITS KAYAK US $24.00 Buy It Now 7 days

More places to buy KAYAK music online Buy KAYAK & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KAYAK DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KAYAK Coming Up For Air ratings distribution

KAYAK Coming Up For Air reviews

Review by friso
2 stars And what a surprise this was. I actually thought Kayak was pulling it's last breath. The new album Coming up for Air is the proof for me being wrong. Though I wouldn't consider it as very progressive, it's good music! Al nice crossoverprog songs presented in a speed which make it sound like a young band. Actually, the recording and mixing is one of the best mixes I heard lately. One song ends, directly starts the next. It makes Coming up for Air a fresh record, still keeping moments of relaxation because of the beautifull ballads. If pop wasn't so corrupted and brainless these days, this could have been a very high regarded album. As for me - I don't think its essential for prog, cause is just isn't very progressive, BUT... it's a very nice record to listen to! You might recommend it also to friends who don't very much like the complexity of prog. I did and had very positive reactions.

2 stars, but a very good record! ...and:... Kayak is alive!

Send comments to friso (BETA) | Report this review (#163749) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Review by laplace
1 stars Here's an album that presents the listener literally with nothing but clichés and convention, containing no songs as such, but simply funnelling half a century of rock foundation work through the fingers of musicians with little to add then slicing it into generic product of suitable length. The whole affair glistens slimily with an unpleasantly unironic sheen.

You already have a better version of this album in your collection. (and you should probably throw it out.)

Send comments to laplace (BETA) | Report this review (#168394) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
3 stars I was looking for something able to remind me the Camel. I knew they awere the group of Ton Scherpenzeel so I purchased this album. It really surprised me. Laplace is right saying that it's just prog-pop, but for a reason that I can't understand, this album is running in my car stereo since 3 weeks and I'm unable to stop listening to it. The first track, Alienation, is based on a nice keyboard riff and the vocals are strong and warm at the same time. Man in the Cocoon is technically speaking, probably the best track of the album. What I find really remarkable is the sequence of songs that starts with Freezing to Death, falls into the Camel style Daughter of The Moon and ends in the most commercial track of the album: Undecided. This last is just a pop-rock song, but it's well played, it includes some variations in the pitch and most of all, the vocals are incredible. This song trasmits a lot of energy. The following track Sad State of Affair reminded me the Beatles. About You Withouy You is effectively weak, but not so bad. Selfmade Castle is another pop-rock song (remember GTR ?) What I'm about to Say is a slow love song. Wonderful Day could have been taken from Camel's Breathless or Rain Dances, pure Canterbury style. Broken White is one of my favourite, again in Camel's style. Coming Up For Air is probably the only real progressive song of the album. It's only rock and roll, but I like it.... not worse than GTR not great like Camel, three stars and half, really.

Send comments to octopus-4 (BETA) | Report this review (#218324) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars After two "musical" albums (Merlin's remake as well Nostradamus), the band seems to pursue the same musical direction. I have to admit that this one is not on par with its predecessors (at least the Merlin one).

The music pictured here sounds more metal oriented (some sort of a soft approach to "Ayreon" during "Man In The Cocoon") combined with their pop-rock and easily accessible music ("Time Stand Still"). Some "Mostly Autumn" or even "Renaissance" feel as well while "Freezing" caresses your ears. Excellent vocal part from the lady in charge (Cindy Oudshoorn who has already appeared on earlier "Kayak" recordings).

I quite prefer while she sings: she is much more convincing than her male counterparts (especially when the mellowish "Daughter Of The Moon" is being played). But that's only how I feel. I guess that this album might work better if you could see it (like a musical as they have done for "Merlin"). As such, this album is not really exciting.

There are some attempts to combine and produce better arranged song à la "10CC" but the model doesn't need to be worried: they have quite a leading here even if "Sad State Of Affairs" is one of my fave songs on this album. Probably due to this relationship I assume. On the other hand, I quite dislike the polyphonic approach of "The Mask & The Mirror" which is only saved thanks to a very good guitar solo. Same applies to the poor "Wonderful Day" (but with no guitar break).

The vocal performance from Cindy is a definite highlight during her parts; just figure out how great she sounds during the title and closing song. She is just great.

IMHHO, it is one of their weakest effort to date. I know that I have been rather gentle with the band so far, but after all I found their music quite joyful and good. This "Coming Up For Air" is not on par and won't rate higher than two stars. An average and conventional album. Well produced, performed by skilled musicians but lacking in good song writing.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#247381) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 30, 2009

3 stars 3.5 stars ... Really! I see this album has a low rating. I respect the opinions / ratings of others. We all hear different things and have different tastes. The same album(s)/song(s) speak differently to many of us. What makes the world interesting is people can see different things ... (read more)

Report this review (#1060485) | Posted by progbaby | Tuesday, October 15, 2013 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Generic and boring. Nothing catchy, nothing prog. Just another band from the 70s trying to return. And it was really bad. Coming Up For Air is something poor, filled with slow pop ballads. The vocalist (male) sounds sad, but that kind of boring sad people, that want to cry to you and you ca ... (read more)

Report this review (#967653) | Posted by VOTOMS | Friday, May 31, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Well quite long years since Nostradamus, Not as good as their before album,but good too,with the freshness of their female vocalist. There are quite similarities to last Magenta, M.Autumn and Karnataka. Songs could have been longer and that's the most important thing i miss. All the rest is OK. ... (read more)

Report this review (#163359) | Posted by robbob | Friday, March 07, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Descent progrock from the Netherlands. Female singer Cindy Oudshoorn steals the show with her classy and passionate sound. It directly made me think of Kaipa's Keyholder. I have only listened to the disk one single time, but no doubt it'll need some more turns for me to really catch up with the b ... (read more)

Report this review (#162836) | Posted by Niccollo | Thursday, February 28, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KAYAK "Coming Up For Air"