COMING UP FOR AIR

Good, but non-essential

Buy KAYAK Music
Studio Album, released in 2008

1. Alienation (3:55)
2. Man in the Cocoon (2:53)
3. Time Stand Still (3:21)
4. Freezing (3:50)
5. Medea (3:47)
6. Daughter of the Moon (3:41)
7. Undecided (4:09)
8. Sad State of Affairs (4:23)
9. About You Without You (3:16)
10. The Mask and the Mirror (4:45)
11. Selfmade Castle (3:33)
12. What I'm About to Say (4:24)
13. Wonderful Day (3:44)
14. Broken White (4:25)
15. Coming Up For Air (6:12)

Search KAYAK Coming Up For Air lyrics

- Rob Vunderink / (lead) vocals, electric guitar
- Joost Vergoossen / electric & acoustic guitar
- Jan van Olffen / bass

2008 Write On Productions, Marketed by SMH Recordings

Thanks to Niccollo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

KAYAK MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KAYAK Coming Up For Air Music

Coming Up for AirComing Up for Air
Smh Records Nl 2008
CD kayak ~ USD $15.01
LP phantom of the night ~ USD $23.45
CD see see the sun ~ USD $15.01

More places to buy KAYAK music online Buy KAYAK & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KAYAK DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KAYAK Coming Up For Air ratings distribution

KAYAK Coming Up For Air reviews

Review by friso
2 stars And what a surprise this was. I actually thought Kayak was pulling it's last breath. The new album Coming up for Air is the proof for me being wrong. Though I wouldn't consider it as very progressive, it's good music! Al nice crossoverprog songs presented in a speed which make it sound like a young band. Actually, the recording and mixing is one of the best mixes I heard lately. One song ends, directly starts the next. It makes Coming up for Air a fresh record, still keeping moments of relaxation because of the beautifull ballads. If pop wasn't so corrupted and brainless these days, this could have been a very high regarded album. As for me - I don't think its essential for prog, cause is just isn't very progressive, BUT... it's a very nice record to listen to! You might recommend it also to friends who don't very much like the complexity of prog. I did and had very positive reactions.

2 stars, but a very good record! ...and:... Kayak is alive!

Send comments to friso (BETA) | Report this review (#163749) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Review by laplace
1 stars Here's an album that presents the listener literally with nothing but clichés and convention, containing no songs as such, but simply funnelling half a century of rock foundation work through the fingers of musicians with little to add then slicing it into generic product of suitable length. The whole affair glistens slimily with an unpleasantly unironic sheen.

You already have a better version of this album in your collection. (and you should probably throw it out.)

Send comments to laplace (BETA) | Report this review (#168394) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
3 stars I was looking for something able to remind me the Camel. I knew they awere the group of Ton Scherpenzeel so I purchased this album. It really surprised me. Laplace is right saying that it's just prog-pop, but for a reason that I can't understand, this album is running in my car stereo since 3 weeks and I'm unable to stop listening to it. The first track, Alienation, is based on a nice keyboard riff and the vocals are strong and warm at the same time. Man in the Cocoon is technically speaking, probably the best track of the album. What I find really remarkable is the sequence of songs that starts with Freezing to Death, falls into the Camel style Daughter of The Moon and ends in the most commercial track of the album: Undecided. This last is just a pop-rock song, but it's well played, it includes some variations in the pitch and most of all, the vocals are incredible. This song trasmits a lot of energy. The following track Sad State of Affair reminded me the Beatles. About You Withouy You is effectively weak, but not so bad. Selfmade Castle is another pop-rock song (remember GTR ?) What I'm about to Say is a slow love song. Wonderful Day could have been taken from Camel's Breathless or Rain Dances, pure Canterbury style. Broken White is one of my favourite, again in Camel's style. Coming Up For Air is probably the only real progressive song of the album. It's only rock and roll, but I like it.... not worse than GTR not great like Camel, three stars and half, really.

Send comments to octopus-4 (BETA) | Report this review (#218324) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars After two "musical" albums (Merlin's remake as well Nostradamus), the band seems to pursue the same musical direction. I have to admit that this one is not on par with its predecessors (at least the Merlin one).

The music pictured here sounds more metal oriented (some sort of a soft approach to "Ayreon" during "Man In The Cocoon") combined with their pop-rock and easily accessible music ("Time Stand Still"). Some "Mostly Autumn" or even "Renaissance" feel as well while "Freezing" caresses your ears. Excellent vocal part from the lady in charge (Cindy Oudshoorn who has already appeared on earlier "Kayak" recordings).

I quite prefer while she sings: she is much more convincing than her male counterparts (especially when the mellowish "Daughter Of The Moon" is being played). But that's only how I feel. I guess that this album might work better if you could see it (like a musical as they have done for "Merlin"). As such, this album is not really exciting.

There are some attempts to combine and produce better arranged song à la "10CC" but the model doesn't need to be worried: they have quite a leading here even if "Sad State Of Affairs" is one of my fave songs on this album. Probably due to this relationship I assume. On the other hand, I quite dislike the polyphonic approach of "The Mask & The Mirror" which is only saved thanks to a very good guitar solo. Same applies to the poor "Wonderful Day" (but with no guitar break).

The vocal performance from Cindy is a definite highlight during her parts; just figure out how great she sounds during the title and closing song. She is just great.

IMHHO, it is one of their weakest effort to date. I know that I have been rather gentle with the band so far, but after all I found their music quite joyful and good. This "Coming Up For Air" is not on par and won't rate higher than two stars. An average and conventional album. Well produced, performed by skilled musicians but lacking in good song writing.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#247381) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 30, 2009

3 stars 3.5 stars ... Really! I see this album has a low rating. I respect the opinions / ratings of others. We all hear different things and have different tastes. The same album(s)/song(s) speak differently to many of us. What makes the world interesting is people can see different things ... (read more)

Report this review (#1060485) | Posted by progbaby | Tuesday, October 15, 2013 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Generic and boring. Nothing catchy, nothing prog. Just another band from the 70s trying to return. And it was really bad. Coming Up For Air is something poor, filled with slow pop ballads. The vocalist (male) sounds sad, but that kind of boring sad people, that want to cry to you and you ca ... (read more)

Report this review (#967653) | Posted by VOTOMS | Friday, May 31, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Well quite long years since Nostradamus, Not as good as their before album,but good too,with the freshness of their female vocalist. There are quite similarities to last Magenta, M.Autumn and Karnataka. Songs could have been longer and that's the most important thing i miss. All the rest is OK. ... (read more)

Report this review (#163359) | Posted by robbob | Friday, March 07, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Descent progrock from the Netherlands. Female singer Cindy Oudshoorn steals the show with her classy and passionate sound. It directly made me think of Kaipa's Keyholder. I have only listened to the disk one single time, but no doubt it'll need some more turns for me to really catch up with the b ... (read more)

Report this review (#162836) | Posted by Niccollo | Thursday, February 28, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KAYAK "Coming Up For Air"