COMING UP FOR AIR

Good, but non-essential

Buy KAYAK Music
Studio Album, released in 2008

1. Alienation (3:55)
2. Man in the Cocoon (2:53)
3. Time Stand Still (3:21)
4. Freezing (3:50)
5. Medea (3:47)
6. Daughter of the Moon (3:41)
7. Undecided (4:09)
8. Sad State of Affairs (4:23)
9. About You Without You (3:16)
10. The Mask and the Mirror (4:45)
11. Selfmade Castle (3:33)
12. What I'm About to Say (4:24)
13. Wonderful Day (3:44)
14. Broken White (4:25)
15. Coming Up For Air (6:12)

Search KAYAK Coming Up For Air lyrics

- Rob Vunderink / (lead) vocals, electric guitar
- Joost Vergoossen / electric & acoustic guitar
- Jan van Olffen / bass

2008 Write On Productions, Marketed by SMH Recordings

Thanks to Niccollo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

KAYAK MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KAYAK Coming Up For Air Music

Vinyl$17.06
Last EncoreLast Encore
Universal Int'l 2002
KAYAK starlight dancer Lp RECORD 1977 US $9.75 Buy It Now 47m 43s
Kayak. Phantom of the night. Janus records JXS7039.~Vinyl NM~Shrink US $7.95 Buy It Now 6h 8m
Kayak- Eyewitness + 3 bonus tracks (SHM-CD) Mini Lp ((Camel, Earth and fire) US $36.99 Buy It Now 17h 38m
KAYAK I Want You To Be Mine VG+ 45 RPM US $0.05 [0 bids]
KAYAK - "Periscope Life" LP 1980 ORIG 1st US PROMO w/INSERT - No UPC US $22.88 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK - "Phantom Of The Night" LP 1978 US 1st WL PROMO - JANUS - w/INNER US $22.88 Buy It Now 1 day
Kayak - Eyewitness + 2 BT 1981 LTD cd Ton Scherpenzeel Earth and Fire Ayreon RAR US $22.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Kayak SEALED Picture Disc LP Phantom In The Night 1978 Prog Numbered Mint US $44.99 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK: Periscope Life (rock & pop vinyl LP) US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK / The OLD MAN & THE SEA - PROMO BOX SET w/4 JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD US $134.99 [0 bids]
KAYAK ( PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT ) 1978 ISSUED VG+ LP US $2.29 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK: Best Of LP (Netherlands, sl cw) Rock & Pop US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK 'PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT' US IMPORT LP US $33.15 Buy It Now 2 days
Kayak 45 I WANT YOU TO BE MINE / IRENE inst. ~ Janus VG+ prog pop rock US $3.28 Buy It Now 2 days
Kayak - Royal Bed Bouncer (NEW CD) US $18.64 Buy It Now 2 days
Kayak - Phantom Of The Night (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $34.81 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK LP PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT JANUS WHITE LABEL PROMO US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT VERTIGO 45 IMPORT FREE COMBINED U.S. SHIP US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK 'Ruthless Queen' 1978 Dutch 7"/45 vinyl single US $6.62 Buy It Now 2 days
Kayak: Ivory Dance / Keep the Change [Unplayed Copy] US $11.97 Buy It Now 2 days
? Kayak - Phantom of the Night (Janus 7039) (sealed) (a Dutch group) US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Kayak-Eyewitness + Merlin 2 cds in slipcase Dutch prog US $16.99 Buy It Now 3 days
KAYAK SEAGULL VERTIGO 45 & PS FREE COMBINED U.S. SHIPPING US $5.99 Buy It Now 3 days
CD-Kayak-The Very Best of dutch prog psych US $8.99 [0 bids]
Original Hits by Kayak -- NEW CD Import Rock Netherlands US $50.00 Buy It Now 3 days
KAYAK SEE SEE THE SUN RARE OOP CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Night Vision - Kayak New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $53.52 Buy It Now 3 days
KAYAK - Ass - 12" US $17.56 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK STARLIGHT DANCER LP 531 US $8.99 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK The Last Encore 2002 remastered CD NEW / UNPLAYED US $15.85 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK "PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT" 8 Track! Brand New!! Sealed US $5.00 Buy It Now 4 days
SEALED 1978 KAYAK Phantom of the Night LP Jonus Records US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK Phantom Of The Night LP 1979 Janus Records Made in Canada Vinyl VG+/VG US $6.29 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK ~ SAME S/T ~ UK HARVEST WHITE LABEL TEST LP - 1ST PRESS 1/1 ~ DUTCH PROG US $323.38 Buy It Now 4 days
Kayak - Phantom of the Night - Prog Rock/Pop NM-1978 Janus Rare Orig OOP US $2.99 [0 bids]
KAYAK LP PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT 1979 JANUS US $16.25 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK "Starlight Dancer" LP VG, Lyric sleeve! 1977 US $5.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Eyewitness by Kayak (Mar-1999,Pseudonym Records(Netherlands))/new cd/2 bonus trk US $9.79 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK Phantom Of The Night 1978 , Janus Record JXS - 7039, Sealed US $5.00 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK ROYAL BED BOUNCER 1975 LP JANUS JXS 7023 US $9.98 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK WANT YOU BE MINE IRENE UNPLAYED? 7 in 45rpm INTL SHIP DEALS p242 US $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Kayak "Phantom Of The Night" 1979 Janus Promo LP US $3.99 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK, 70s progressive rock DJ 7" 45 KEEP THE CHANGE on Janus US $7.00 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK - PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT - NEW, SEALED VINYL LP IMPORT 2012 US $40.99 Buy It Now 5 days
1979 KAYAK Keep The Change / Same 7" 45 rpm PROMO Janus J-278 NM Vinyl P/S US $3.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Kayak, Starlight Dancer/Janus JXS 7034/Picture Sleeve/LP 1977/In Shrinkwrap US $3.00 [0 bids]
KAYAK Periscope vinyl LP 1980 prog US $10.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Kayak Keep The Change bw Same WLP 45 promo single Janus J-278 US $4.97 Buy It Now 5 days
Kayak / Starlight Dancer White Label Promo Janus US LP Dutch Rock Vinyl Pressing US $4.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Kayak See the Sun LP Harvest ST 11305 Prog Folk US $12.00 [0 bids]
KAYAK/IRENE/I WANT YOU TO BE MIND/JANUS 45 RPM RECORDS US $1.99 [0 bids]
Kayak- Starlight Dancer- new/sealed 8 Track tape US $5.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Kayak - See See The Sun NEW CD US $16.15 Buy It Now 6 days
Kayak - Kayak NEW CD US $16.15 Buy It Now 6 days
Kayak - Royal Bed Bouncer NEW CD US $16.15 Buy It Now 6 days
Brown, Ray Great Big Band Kayak CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Kayak - Starlight Dancer (1977 Janus Records/GRT Music Tapes) Used 8-Track Tape US $3.50 Buy It Now 6 days
2- KAYAK nm, prog lp's, one price, BOTH IN SHRINK US $16.95 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK - I WANT YOU TO BE MINE - RARE - 7" - URUGUAY US $25.00 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK Merlin Rare Out Of Print Pseudonym Label Version New CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Max Werner Seasons Raido Records LP 1981 Kayak Progressive DJTS US $4.99 Buy It Now 6 days
LP-Kayak-Royal Bed Bouncer~'75 Dutch PROG Killer LP ~Camel YES US $14.99 [0 bids]
KAYAK - MERLIN: BARD OF THE UNSEEN - NEW CD US $15.61 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK total loss 7" b/w what's done is done (6017103) pic slv dutch vertigo 1980 US $8.28 Buy It Now 6 days
Kayak-Eyewitness Dutch prog cd 2 bonus tracks US $9.99 Buy It Now 6 days
CD-Kayak-The Very Best of dutch prog psych US $8.99 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT 180GM LP VINYL RECORD NEW US $43.99 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK "STARLIGHT DANCER" 33 RPM VINYL LP RECORD ALBUM US $9.95 Buy It Now 6 days
Kayak ?- Phantom Of The Night LP Vinyl JXS70398 Janus Records US $3.99 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK See See The Sun LP 9 Track Light Wear To Cover And Has Sticker On Front Of US $33.17 Buy It Now 7 days
Kayak - Phantom Of The Night [Vinyl New] US $29.35 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK: Starlight Dancer (rock & pop vinyl LP) US $15.00 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK THE LAST ENCORE RARE OOP CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK IVORY DENCE KEEP THE CHANGE USA NM UNPLAYED 45rpm VEI 13 ACL US $19.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Promo 45 rpm - KAYAK - I Want You To Be Mine - MINT DJ US $4.95 Buy It Now 7 days
Kayak-The Last Encore Dutch prog cd US $9.99 Buy It Now 7 days
JNS-7034- KAYAK Starlight Dancer OOP USED 12" Vinyl Record Rock US $12.99 Buy It Now 7 days
JNS-7039- KAYAK Phantom Of The Night OOP USED 12" Vinyl Record Rock US $7.99 Buy It Now 7 days
JNS-7023- KAYAK Royal Bed Bouncer OOP USED 12" Vinyl Record Rock US $18.99 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK - KAYAK - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $33.81 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK phantom of the night LP 10 track with inner sleeve (jxs7039) us janus 1979 US $8.81 Buy It Now 8 days
Phantom of the Night by Kayak [Vinyl VG++ | Cover VG+] US $10.00 Buy It Now 8 days
Kayak Wintertime b/w Alibi Rare France 7" PS 45 2C004-25.035 Single US $12.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Kayak Import EMI Best of LP Prog Psych US $9.99 Buy It Now 8 days
LP-Kayak-Royal Bed Bouncer~'75 Dutch PROG Killer LP ~Camel YES US $17.00 Buy It Now 8 days
KAYAK - PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT - NETHERLAND IMPORT LP - 1979 PHONOGRAM B.V. US $14.99 Buy It Now 8 days
1979 PROG ROCK Kayak Phantom Of The Night Ruthless Queen Vinyl LP @ US $1.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Brown Ray - Kayak CD Pop Jazz US $20.65 Buy It Now 9 days
KAYAK/TRIUMVIRAT harvest records presents advert uk harvest 1974 original newspa US $8.28 Buy It Now 9 days
KAYAK - ROYAL BED BOUNCER - VERTIGO DUTCH 1975 ORIGINAL N.MINT US $33.17 Buy It Now 9 days
Dutch Prog RaRe Import KAYAK Rock En El Tiempo Unique Comp LP Vertigo Space Ship US $14.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Dutch Prog RaRe Import KAYAK Periscope Life Promo LP on Vertigo Space Ship US $23.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Dutch Prog RaRe Import KAYAK Phantom Of Tthe Night LP +insert Vertigo Space Ship US $17.99 Buy It Now 9 days
KAYAK -ROYAL BED BOUNCER+ PERISCOPE LIFE----2 DUTCH ROCK ALBUMS!!! US $16.00 Buy It Now 9 days
KAYAK - MERLIN [PSEUDONYM] [REMASTER] - NEW CD US $22.02 Buy It Now 9 days
Jan Akkerman Kaz Lux Focus Kayak 1977 Programme US $21.48 Buy It Now 9 days
KAYAK Phantom of The Night JANUS LP '79 OG Progressive Rock US $2.99 Buy It Now 9 days
KAYAK The Universal Masters Collection Dutch 18-track CD NEW US $12.45 Buy It Now 9 days
KAYAK, See See the Sun [Harvest] USA 1st pressing EXCELLENT- LP US $15.99 Buy It Now 10 days
KAYAK see see the sun 5C 056.24 933 dutch emi 1973 LP PS EX/EX US $36.20 Buy It Now 10 days

More places to buy KAYAK music online Buy KAYAK & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KAYAK DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KAYAK Coming Up For Air ratings distribution

KAYAK Coming Up For Air reviews

Review by friso
2 stars And what a surprise this was. I actually thought Kayak was pulling it's last breath. The new album Coming up for Air is the proof for me being wrong. Though I wouldn't consider it as very progressive, it's good music! Al nice crossoverprog songs presented in a speed which make it sound like a young band. Actually, the recording and mixing is one of the best mixes I heard lately. One song ends, directly starts the next. It makes Coming up for Air a fresh record, still keeping moments of relaxation because of the beautifull ballads. If pop wasn't so corrupted and brainless these days, this could have been a very high regarded album. As for me - I don't think its essential for prog, cause is just isn't very progressive, BUT... it's a very nice record to listen to! You might recommend it also to friends who don't very much like the complexity of prog. I did and had very positive reactions.

2 stars, but a very good record! ...and:... Kayak is alive!

Send comments to friso (BETA) | Report this review (#163749) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Review by laplace
1 stars Here's an album that presents the listener literally with nothing but clichés and convention, containing no songs as such, but simply funnelling half a century of rock foundation work through the fingers of musicians with little to add then slicing it into generic product of suitable length. The whole affair glistens slimily with an unpleasantly unironic sheen.

You already have a better version of this album in your collection. (and you should probably throw it out.)

Send comments to laplace (BETA) | Report this review (#168394) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
3 stars I was looking for something able to remind me the Camel. I knew they awere the group of Ton Scherpenzeel so I purchased this album. It really surprised me. Laplace is right saying that it's just prog-pop, but for a reason that I can't understand, this album is running in my car stereo since 3 weeks and I'm unable to stop listening to it. The first track, Alienation, is based on a nice keyboard riff and the vocals are strong and warm at the same time. Man in the Cocoon is technically speaking, probably the best track of the album. What I find really remarkable is the sequence of songs that starts with Freezing to Death, falls into the Camel style Daughter of The Moon and ends in the most commercial track of the album: Undecided. This last is just a pop-rock song, but it's well played, it includes some variations in the pitch and most of all, the vocals are incredible. This song trasmits a lot of energy. The following track Sad State of Affair reminded me the Beatles. About You Withouy You is effectively weak, but not so bad. Selfmade Castle is another pop-rock song (remember GTR ?) What I'm about to Say is a slow love song. Wonderful Day could have been taken from Camel's Breathless or Rain Dances, pure Canterbury style. Broken White is one of my favourite, again in Camel's style. Coming Up For Air is probably the only real progressive song of the album. It's only rock and roll, but I like it.... not worse than GTR not great like Camel, three stars and half, really.

Send comments to octopus-4 (BETA) | Report this review (#218324) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars After two "musical" albums (Merlin's remake as well Nostradamus), the band seems to pursue the same musical direction. I have to admit that this one is not on par with its predecessors (at least the Merlin one).

The music pictured here sounds more metal oriented (some sort of a soft approach to "Ayreon" during "Man In The Cocoon") combined with their pop-rock and easily accessible music ("Time Stand Still"). Some "Mostly Autumn" or even "Renaissance" feel as well while "Freezing" caresses your ears. Excellent vocal part from the lady in charge (Cindy Oudshoorn who has already appeared on earlier "Kayak" recordings).

I quite prefer while she sings: she is much more convincing than her male counterparts (especially when the mellowish "Daughter Of The Moon" is being played). But that's only how I feel. I guess that this album might work better if you could see it (like a musical as they have done for "Merlin"). As such, this album is not really exciting.

There are some attempts to combine and produce better arranged song à la "10CC" but the model doesn't need to be worried: they have quite a leading here even if "Sad State Of Affairs" is one of my fave songs on this album. Probably due to this relationship I assume. On the other hand, I quite dislike the polyphonic approach of "The Mask & The Mirror" which is only saved thanks to a very good guitar solo. Same applies to the poor "Wonderful Day" (but with no guitar break).

The vocal performance from Cindy is a definite highlight during her parts; just figure out how great she sounds during the title and closing song. She is just great.

IMHHO, it is one of their weakest effort to date. I know that I have been rather gentle with the band so far, but after all I found their music quite joyful and good. This "Coming Up For Air" is not on par and won't rate higher than two stars. An average and conventional album. Well produced, performed by skilled musicians but lacking in good song writing.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#247381) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 30, 2009

3 stars 3.5 stars ... Really! I see this album has a low rating. I respect the opinions / ratings of others. We all hear different things and have different tastes. The same album(s)/song(s) speak differently to many of us. What makes the world interesting is people can see different things ... (read more)

Report this review (#1060485) | Posted by progbaby | Tuesday, October 15, 2013 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Generic and boring. Nothing catchy, nothing prog. Just another band from the 70s trying to return. And it was really bad. Coming Up For Air is something poor, filled with slow pop ballads. The vocalist (male) sounds sad, but that kind of boring sad people, that want to cry to you and you ca ... (read more)

Report this review (#967653) | Posted by VOTOMS | Friday, May 31, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Well quite long years since Nostradamus, Not as good as their before album,but good too,with the freshness of their female vocalist. There are quite similarities to last Magenta, M.Autumn and Karnataka. Songs could have been longer and that's the most important thing i miss. All the rest is OK. ... (read more)

Report this review (#163359) | Posted by robbob | Friday, March 07, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Descent progrock from the Netherlands. Female singer Cindy Oudshoorn steals the show with her classy and passionate sound. It directly made me think of Kaipa's Keyholder. I have only listened to the disk one single time, but no doubt it'll need some more turns for me to really catch up with the b ... (read more)

Report this review (#162836) | Posted by Niccollo | Thursday, February 28, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KAYAK "Coming Up For Air"