REAL TO REEL - BRIEF ENCOUNTER

Boxset/Compilation, released in 1997

Disc one (52:06)
1. Assassing (7:28)
2. Incubus (8:45)
3. Cinderella search (5:46)
4. Emerald lies (5:26)
5. Forgotten sons (10:36)
6. Garden party (6:32)
7. Market Square heroes (7:31)
Disc two (31:31)
1. Lady Nina (5:47)
2. Freaks (4:09)
3. Kayleigh (4:11)
4. Fugazi (8:32)
5. Script for a Jester's tears (8:52)

Search MARILLION Real to Reel - Brief Encounter lyrics

Search MARILLION Real to Reel - Brief Encounter tabs

- Fish / vocals
- Mark Kelly / keyboards
- Ian Mosley / drums
- Steve Rothery / guitars
- Pete Trewavas / basses

EMI

MARILLION MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MARILLION Real to Reel - Brief Encounter Music

Madfish Records UK 2013
Afraid of SunlightAfraid of Sunlight
Remastered · Special Edition · Import
EMI Europe Generic 1999
Vol. 2-Happiness Is the Road: the Hard ShoulderVol. 2-Happiness Is the Road: the Hard Shoulder
Racket 2008
Caroline 1999
Singles 82-88Singles 82-88
Emd Int'l 2009
Marillion - Somewhere In London (NEW CD+DVD) US $24.66 Buy It Now 2h 8m
MARILLION - "Market Square Heroes"/"3 Boats Down" 1982 1st UK 7" Sinlge A1/B1 US $23.88 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Marillion - Incommunicado - EMI - 1987 #234962 US $8.35 Buy It Now 3h 8m
MARILLION Punch And Judy 7" EX+ UK 1984 EMI Records US $10.02 Buy It Now 3h 12m
MARILLION Assassing 7" EX UK 1984 EMI Records US $10.02 Buy It Now 3h 22m
Marillion - Vol. 1-Happiness Is The Road: Essence CD US $13.91 Buy It Now 3h 46m
Marillion - Radiation - Cassette, NEW & SELAED!! Polish Press US $38.75 Buy It Now 4h 33m
Neal Morse: Testimony In A Coruņa 2011 (Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, Marillion) US $45.00 [0 bids]
Marillion The Best Of Both Worlds Mexican Edition 2CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 6h 5m
MARILLION - Holidays in Eden - 1991 EMI EMD 1022 LP EX+ US $50.19 Buy It Now 7h 8m
Marillion - Tales From The Engine Room NEW CD US $10.72 Buy It Now 7h 27m
MARILLION 'REAL TO REEL' UK LP US $13.37 Buy It Now 7h 27m
Marillion FUGAZI US $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 8m
Marillion - Assassing - 7" Single 1982 EMI Maril 2 US $10.04 Buy It Now 8h 29m
Marillion - This Strange Engine NEW CD US $14.51 Buy It Now 8h 31m
MARILLION 'NO ONE CAN' UK PICTURE DISC 12" SINGLE US $15.04 Buy It Now 8h 39m
Edison's Children EP CD w/ Keychain-Pete Trewavas Signed-Marillion/Transatlantic US $13.99 Buy It Now 8h 58m
Marillion - Marillion.com NEW CD US $16.53 Buy It Now 9h 27m
Marillion - Anoraknophobia NEW CD US $16.53 Buy It Now 9h 28m
Marillion - Radiation 2013 NEW CD US $16.53 Buy It Now 9h 28m
MARILLION LP-A1U/B1U MATRIX-" SCRIPT FOR A JESTERS TEAR " - EMC3429 US $2.07 [2 bids]
MARILLION - "HOLIDAYS IN EDEN" - 1991 ORIGINAL BRAZIL PRESS LP NM PROMO RARE! US $26.00 Buy It Now 9h 58m
Marillion, Misplaced childhood, Vinyl LP in gatefold sleeve (NEW!!) US $45.16 Buy It Now 10h 8m
Marillion(12"Vinyl)Cover My Eyes (Pain And Heaven)-UK-12 MARILP1 US $16.71 Buy It Now 10h 55m
MARILLION MISPLACED CHILDHOOD LP IN VG+ CONDITION US $8.37 Buy It Now 11h 28m
Marillion - Sugar Mice 7" Vinyl - 1987 EMI Records - Mint / Near Mint Condition US $6.68 [0 bids]
MARILLION FUGAZI UK PRESSED 1984 GATEFOLD SLEEVE VINYL LP*NEAR MINT PROG. ALBUM US $16.65 Buy It Now 12h 21m
MARILLION - LP Platinum Disc - MISPLACED CHILDHOOD US $166.47 Buy It Now 12h 33m
Marillion - Six of One, Half-Dozen of the Other CD 1992 US $7.59 Buy It Now 12h 44m
Marillion MARKET SQUARE HEROES 12" EP vinyl single from Portugal FISH GRENDEL US $39.99 Buy It Now 13h 10m
Marillion MARKET SQUARE HEROES 12" EP vinyl single from UK FISH GRENDEL US $34.99 Buy It Now 13h 10m
MARILLION - Freaks - Deleted 1988 UK EMI label UK 2-track 7" Vinyl Single US $13.37 Buy It Now 13h 35m
At High Voltage 2010 - Marillion New & Sealed CD US $27.53 Buy It Now 13h 37m
Marillion - Grendel 12" Rsd 2013 Limited to 750 copies LP US $31.87 Buy It Now 13h 41m
Marillion - Alone Again In The Lap Of Luxury 1994 UK 12" PICTURE DISC EMI US $9.22 [5 bids]
Marillion - Assassing 1984 UK 12" PICTURE DISC EMI US $6.68 [1 bids]
Marillion - Clutching At Straws 1987 UK LP PICTURE DISC EMI US $7.34 [2 bids]
Marillion - Freaks 1988 UK 7" SHAPED PICTURE DISC EMI US $6.68 [1 bids]
Marillion - Fugazi 1984 UK LP PICTURE DISC EMI US $9.22 [6 bids]
Marillion - Garden Party 1983 UK 7" SHAPED PICTURE DISC EMI US $7.01 [2 bids]
MARILLION Garden Party 12" Vinyl Single 12EMI5393 1983 US $11.69 Buy It Now 14h 18m
MARILLION Kayleigh 12" Vinyl Single 1985 EMI 12MARIL3 US $11.69 Buy It Now 14h 18m
MARILLION Lavender Blue 12" Vinyl Single 1985 12MARIL4 US $11.69 Buy It Now 14h 18m
Marillion - Heart Of Lothian 1985 UK 12" PICTURE DISC EMI US $6.68 [0 bids]
Marillion - Kayleigh 1985 UK 12" PICTURE DISC EMI SIGNED/AUTOGRAPHED US $6.68 [1 bids]
Marillion - Lavender 1985 UK 12" PICTURE DISC EMI SIGNED/AUTOGRAPHED US $6.68 [0 bids]
Marillion - Market Square Heroes 1983 UK 12" PICTURE DISC EMI US $35.13 [5 bids]
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood 1985 UK LP PICTURE DISC EMI US $33.46 [13 bids]
Marillion - Punch And Judy 1984 UK 12" PICTURE DISC EMI US $6.68 [1 bids]
Marillion - Real To Real 1984 UK LP PICTURE DISC EMI US $6.68 [1 bids]
MARILLION - Misplaced Childhood ~ GATEFOLD VINYL LP US $25.08 Buy It Now 14h 32m
Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear 1983 UK LP PICTURE DISC EMI US $36.81 [16 bids]
Marillion - Uninvited Guest 1989 UK 7" SHAPED PICTURE DISC EMI US $7.01 [2 bids]
Marillion - Warm Wet Circles 1987 UK 12" PICTURE DISC EMI US $6.68 [1 bids]
Marillion - Clutching At Straws CD 1987 Capitol EMI Fish prog US $14.99 Buy It Now 14h 47m
Marillion - Somewhere In London NEW CD US $20.61 Buy It Now 14h 52m
MARILLION No One Can UK PICTURE DISC 12" US $19.99 Buy It Now 14h 52m
Shadowland - Through The Looking Glass - CASSETTE (Arena, Pendragon, Marillion US $12.00 Buy It Now 14h 53m
Fish - Internal Exile - Cassette, Polish Press (Marillion) US $5.00 Buy It Now 14h 53m
Marillion - Real To Real - Cassette, Polish Press US $4.99 Buy It Now 14h 53m
Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear - Cassette, Polish Press US $8.66 Buy It Now 14h 53m
Marillion - Seasons End - Cassette, Polish Press US $5.66 Buy It Now 14h 53m
Fish (Marillion ) -CD 1997 - Sunsets on Empire (Porcupine Tree) US $6.63 [4 bids]
JADIS - ACROSS THE WATER - CASSETTE, NEW & SEALED!! (IQ, Marillion, Pendragon,) US $18.99 Buy It Now 14h 56m
Fish - Vigil In The Wilderness Of Mirrors - Cassette, Polish Press (Marillion) US $11.99 Buy It Now 14h 56m
Marillion - Brave - Cassette, Polish Press US $8.00 Buy It Now 14h 56m
VTG Vinyl LP Record 1984 MARILLION Real To Reel JEST 1 Progressive Rock UK US $30.00 Buy It Now 15h 10m
MARILLION - A Singles Collection - CD Album *Best Of**Hits* US $6.68 Buy It Now 15h 21m
MARILLION Seaons End Limited Edition Gatefold 180gram Vinyl LP+Art Print US $41.81 Buy It Now 15h 27m
MARILLION - Sugar Mice - 7 inch vinyl Picture Disc (FF126). US $20.06 Buy It Now 15h 44m
? Marillion - 12" Sympathy / Kayleigh (Pic Disc) (UK) US $19.99 Buy It Now 17h 6m
MARILLION-UNPLUGGED AT THE WALLS-DOUBLE CD ALBUM-EXC US $30.10 Buy It Now 17h 11m
Marillion/Script For A Jesters Tear.UK EMI LP US $16.73 Buy It Now 17h 15m
FISH / MARILLION - 1 PAGE PIN-UP POSTER KERRANG! US $8.35 Buy It Now 18h 24m
Marillion - The Thieving Magpie - Audio Cassette Tape US $8.28 Buy It Now 18h 38m
MARILLION- MISPLACED CHILDHOOD (2CD)mnt & BEST OF BOTH WORLDS (2CD) promo US $19.99 [0 bids]
This Strange Engine MARILLION CD, Apr-1997 RAW POWER CASTLE SBM IMPORT US $6.55 [0 bids]
MARILLION * Holidays In Eden (CD 1991) VG ! free ship to lower 48 Steve Hogarth US $7.25 [0 bids]
21h
Internal Exile by Fish (CD, Jul-1992, Polydor) NM MARILLION PROG US $7.00 [0 bids]
NEW Radiation 2013 - Marillion US $12.49 Buy It Now 21h 59m
Prog Rock Classic NEW CD Marillion RICK WAKEMAN Brand X US $9.99 Buy It Now 22h 35m
Marillion Thieving Magpie Misplaced Childhood 2-CD in fat box + booklet + poster US $11.23 Buy It Now 1 day
* MARILLION forum, london, england 28 Apr. 1996 FRONT ROW CLUB FRC-009 2CD US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
* MARILLION academy, manchester, england 18 Nov.1999 FRONT ROW CLUB FRC-002 2CD US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
* MARILLION sala bikini, barcelona spain 12 Dec. 2000 FRONT ROW CLUB FRC-012 2CD US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
* MARILLION luxor, arnhem, netherlands 23 Jun.1995 FRONT ROW CLUB FRC-003 CD US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Marillion ?Misplaced Childhood Reissue, Gatefold, 180 Gram SEALED FREE SHIPPING! US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION garden party / margaret U.K. EMI SHAPED PICTURE DISC_1983 US $18.70 Buy It Now 1 day
CD Album: Fish : Sunsets On Empire Marillion US $20.90 [0 bids]
CD Album: Marillion : Happiness Is The Road : Volume 1 Essence US $11.78 [0 bids]
MARILLION -2 LP COVERS- ideal for framing & replacing US $8.35 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION cover my eyes 12" 3 track with limited poster b/w how can it hurt and US $11.13 Buy It Now 1 day
Marillion Clutching At Straws CD (1987) US $9.31 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION-Freaks (Live)/Kayleigh (Live) UK 7" VG+ Cond US $8.35 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION-Dry Land/Holloway Girl/After Me UK 7" EX Cond US $8.35 Buy It Now 1 day
Marillion The Thieving Magpie LP 1988 UK EMI Double Vinyl w/Inner Gatefold Fish US $49.95 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION - Seasons End + UK Tour Dates - 1989 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.53 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION - BEST LIVE [MARILLION] [CD BOXSET] [2 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $12.51 Buy It Now 1 day
Marillion - Hooks in you UK 7" US $6.68 Buy It Now 1 day
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood - Music CD - The Daily Mail Newspaper UK US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy MARILLION music online Buy MARILLION & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MARILLION DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MARILLION Real to Reel - Brief Encounter ratings distribution

MARILLION Real to Reel - Brief Encounter reviews

Review by Guillermo
4 stars I bought this double C.D. remastered versions in 1998, after recording both albums as L.P.s from a FM Radio station broadcast in a cassette in 1988 (from a series of programmes dedicated to Marillion), and later in 1993 I bought "Real to Reel" in a cheap "Fame/EMI" L.P.edition. The live version of "Kayleigh" was the first song I heard from Marillion in a FM station in 1986-87, and it led me to buy the "Misplaced Childhood" album. All the live versions of all songs are very good, particularly "Incubus", "Cinderella Search", "Forgotten Sons", "Script for a Jester`s Tear" and "Fugazi". Ian Mosley added more power to the drums in comparison to the original studio versions of songs played by Mick Pointer.I think that the studio recordings of "Lady Nina" and "Freaks" were previously released as B-sides of singles, and they are good songs too. These remasters of both albums sound very good.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#12496) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Review by Gatot
4 stars When this double CD was released I was totally in doubt to purchase it or not because I had the "Real to Reel" CD already and also the "Brief Encounter" separately in the format of cassette. "Brief Encounter" never been released in CD format before as it was introduced / marketed in the US and Canada with vinyl and cassette formats only. Quite honest also, "Brief Encounter" did not really favor me. But for Marillion - why not man?! Especially the price is actually for one CD, so I just purchased it for GBP 7.5 at that time. And I never regret owning this double CD while the Real To Reel CD is still with me, without any intention to let it go.

CD 1: Real To Reel

It's a great show by the band especially if you have been familiar with their first two albums: "Script for A Jester's Tear" and "Fugazi". In fact, I was still in a full enjoyment of "Fugazi" when this album was released in 1984. I still remember how I was able to sing almost all Marillion's lyrics on top of my head (two first albums and one EP). "Emerald Lies" was my favorite at that time. I kept repeating this track over and over especially I like the dazzling percussion style and also Fish's voice in a piece of lyrics " ...in a gallery of ....contempt!" - great man! I also love the title track "Fugazi" - the opening piano intro is killing "Vodka intimate on affair with isolation in a black heat cell ." oh man . what a great shot! To my surprise that the band released their first live album with excellent title "REAL to REEL". So innovative!

I love live albums because it is alive and able to create an atmosphere of rock concert. Even the intro of "Assassing" with a background of audience's hand clapping and shouting had set a "real" nuances. This track was performed much more dynamic than its original studio track. Marvelous! The most interesting track for me is the song for peace and it's called ..."Forgotten Sons!" Wow ......!! So lively! So stunning! So great! Fish sung emotionally in this track and I know why he did that. When I listened to this track I imagined that I watched the "Recital of the Script" DVD where he sung with a gun in his arms and pretending to shoot his enemies. What a nice shot, Fish! "Garden Party" and "Market Square Heroes" were performed seamlessly with great energy and serve the purpose of being the concert's encore.

Rating for CD 1 "Real To Reel": 5/5 stars.

CD 2: Brief Encounter

When I was waiting for the next release of Marillion's album after their seminal work "Misplaced Childhood" released in 1985, I was so afraid that the band would defunct because I had enjoyed their three albums plus one ep "Market Square Heroes". At the time, there was no internet connection or any other news with respect to new release. So I was just guessing what would happen next. It came out with "Brief Encounter" LP and cassette where it featured the band's two studio tracks "Lady Nina" and "Freaks". The rest of the tracks were live performance - each representing previous three albums: "Script For A Jester's Tear" - from the band's debut album with the same title, "Fugazi" - from second album with the same title and Kayleigh - the band's hit from "Misplaced Childhood" album (the third).

"Lady Nina" is an upbeat tempo music with pop / disco touch and keyboard-based rhythm section. It's probably quite accessible to introduce someone to the music of Marillion through this tune. "Freaks" is a nice rocking track with a good credo and Fish pondering vocals. "Kayleigh" played live was never heard before and it was truly a good treat as at the time I knew that this was the band's hit. "Fugazi" was performed similar with the version in "Real To Reel" album. "Script For A Jester's Tear" had never been played before and of course I did enjoy this version.

Rating for CD 2 "Brief Encounter": 3.5/5 stars.

Summary

It is recommended that you have listened to Marillion's first two albums if you really want fully enjoy this album. If this is your first consideration to purchase Marillion album, please do not start from here. It is recommended that you start from "Script for A Jester's Tear" studio album. Keep on proggin' ..!

Progressively yours, GW

"Peace on earth and mercy mild, mother brown lost the child - just another forgotten sons!"

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#41132) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 01, 2005

Review by Cygnus X-2
4 stars This compilation is a combination of the first Marillion live album Real To Reel (from the Fugazi tour) and the EP Brief Encounter (released after Misplaced Childhood). I feel that it is a good compilation because both of these releases are hard to find individually, and it's nice to have them both in one package. I'll go about reviewing both of these packages individually, since that is the way that they were originally conceived and released.

Real to Reel is a stellar live album, featuring a nice balance of Fugazi and Script for a Jester's Tear, and a heart pounding rendition of Market Square Heroes. The band is in full form on this one, Rothery plays his heart out on the solos, Kelly guns through the keyboard sections with precision and ease, the rhythm unit of Ian Mosley and Pete Trewavas are tight and keep the flow of the songs to their intended pace, and of course Fish is always brilliant live, often performing more in depth than in the studio. My favorite songs off of this live album are Assassing, Forgotten Sons, and Market Square Heroes, with Assassing and Market Square Heroes bookending the album. Forgotten Sons is a brilliant song performed live, with Fish getting his most cynical and aggressive vocally during the closing chant of "Ring around the rosie they all fall down". I would rate this live album a 4.5/5 if I was reviewing it as a single package.

Brief Encounter is a little EP that features two songs you won't find on any Marillion studio album, Lady Nina and Freaks. Lady Nina is a nice piece with a catchy chorus and some nice keyboard work from Kelly. Freaks gets more recognition because it is featured brilliantly on Marillion's final live album with Fish La Gazza Ladra- The Thieving Magpie. It has some nice guitar fills and a catchy chorus consisting of "All the best freaks are here/ All the best freaks are here/ Please stop staring at me". The remainder of the EP are live renditions of Kayleigh, Fugazi, and Script for a Jester's Tear. Kayleigh has the same feel as Misplaced Childhood, and Fugazi has more punch to it than the studio counterpart, but Script is utterly mindblowing on this one. Every live version of this song is always just utterly incredible, but this might be the best, with Fish singing his broken and shattered heart out on it. Rothery shines with a superb guitar solo that outdoes the studio one. I would rate this EP a 3.5/5 if I was reviewing it as a single package.

Overall, if you are one who likes to find rare commodities in compilations, then this one would be right up your alley. But if your the type who likes to be a completionist, then you might want to go for each of these packages individually. In the end, I feel that this is a strong package worthy of a purchase. It gets a solid 4/5 from me.

Send comments to Cygnus X-2 (BETA) | Report this review (#71520) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 09, 2006

Review by sleeper
4 stars In '97, when EMI was remastering Marillion's early albums, they decided it would be a good idea to put the live album Real To Reel and the mini-album Brief Encounter into a single double CD release. I personally find this to have been a rather good idea.

This album was actually my introduction to Marillion and to be honest, this is what the double album does best, introduce you to some of the best of Fish era Marillion without giving away all that the band has to offer from that period. My previous reviews for Real To Reel and Brief Encounter will tell you what I think of the albums in more detail, but here I will say that RTR is a very strong live album made up of pre-Misplaced Childhood material well worth getting whilst BE has some very strong live tracks with one good and one poor studio track not really making it worth buying on its own. Together they are a collection of brilliant live performances with only a few niggles and a couple of studio tracks that are a bit hit-and-miss.

This is a double album that gives an incite into the world of Fish-era Marillion. As I said earlier, his was my introduction to Marillion and that is what it does best, it contains some of the most standout tracks of the band earlier career, namely Incubus, Forgotten Sons, Garden Party, Fugazi and Script for a Jester's Tear, without giving away everything that the band has to offer. A worthy 4 stars.

Send comments to sleeper (BETA) | Report this review (#99618) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 20, 2006

Post a review of MARILLION "Real to Reel - Brief Encounter"