REAL TO REEL - BRIEF ENCOUNTER

Boxset/Compilation, released in 1997

Disc one (52:06)
1. Assassing (7:28)
2. Incubus (8:45)
3. Cinderella search (5:46)
4. Emerald lies (5:26)
5. Forgotten sons (10:36)
6. Garden party (6:32)
7. Market Square heroes (7:31)
Disc two (31:31)
1. Lady Nina (5:47)
2. Freaks (4:09)
3. Kayleigh (4:11)
4. Fugazi (8:32)
5. Script for a Jester's tears (8:52)

Search MARILLION Real to Reel - Brief Encounter lyrics

Search MARILLION Real to Reel - Brief Encounter tabs

- Fish / vocals
- Mark Kelly / keyboards
- Ian Mosley / drums
- Steve Rothery / guitars
- Pete Trewavas / basses

EMI

MARILLION MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MARILLION Real to Reel - Brief Encounter Music

Marillion : A Singles Collection CD (1992) US $6.22 Buy It Now 1h 53m
MARILLION - LAVENDER 7" 85 VG US $1.59 [0 bids]
MARILLION / SCRIPT FOR A JESTER'S TEAR JAPAN CD OOP US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 33m
MARILLION - See it like a baby (rare promo single) US $11.90 Buy It Now 2h 35m
MARILLION Rare UK 2001 CD Single BETWEEN YOU AND ME Map Of The World DiscMINT US $32.39 Buy It Now 2h 38m
MARILLION 'YOU'RE GONE' 2-TRACK CD SINGLE US $11.33 Buy It Now 3h 4m
MARILLION 'YOU'RE GONE' 3-TRACK CD SINGLE US $11.33 Buy It Now 3h 4m
FISH of MARILLION UK 1990 CD Single A GENTLEMAN'S EXCUSE ME MINT US $11.33 Buy It Now 3h 16m
MARILLION Rare UK 2008 PROMO CD Single Whatever Is Wrong With You DiscNEW US $8.08 Buy It Now 3h 17m
MARILLION Hooks in you 7" vinyl record single EXCELLENT CONDITION fish US $1.60 [0 bids]
MARILLION Uninvited Guest 1989 UK SHAPED PICTURE DISC w INSERT awesome!! US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 36m
MARILLION - REAL TO REEL - 12 in vinyl LP US $6.48 [0 bids]
Marillion - Incommunicado/ Going Under - MARIL6 7" VINYL RECORD VG/VG 26 US $4.03 Buy It Now 4h 44m
Marillion, No one can, NEW/MINT UK PICTURE DISC 12 inch vinyl single US $12.95 Buy It Now 5h 39m
MARILLION script for jester's tear ISRAEL ISRAELI MINT LP US $50.00 Buy It Now 5h 51m
MARILLION real to reel ISRAEL ISRAELI MINT LP US $50.00 Buy It Now 5h 51m
MARILLION 'LAVENDER' 1985 12" SINGLE VG/VG US $8.08 [0 bids]
MARILLION 'KAYLEIGH' 1985 12" SINGLE VG/VG US $8.08 [0 bids]
MARILLION 'PUNCH & JUDY' 1984 12" SINGLE EX/VG US $11.33 [0 bids]
KATATONIA Dethroned & Uncrowne BIG POSTER !!! Marillion/Steven Wilson/Anathema US $5.55 Buy It Now 6h 18m
MARILLION 'GARDEN PARTY' 1983 12" SINGLE EX/VG US $11.33 [0 bids]
Marillion - Anoraknophobia [Vinyl New] US $41.05 Buy It Now 6h 24m
MARILLION " LAVENDER / FREAKS " 7" SINGLE PIC SLEEVE 1985 VG+ US $3.22 Buy It Now 6h 40m
MARILLION 45 PICTURE SLEEVE SIGNED BY FISH LEAD SINGER US $3.99 [1 bids]
7h
LOT OF 3 EPs: MARILLION "Cover, Brief, Inncommunicado" US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 14m
CD Double: Marillion : The Glow Must Go On : Holland March 2011 2CDs US $28.26 [0 bids]
Slip Album: Fish : Suits Remastered Marillion US $23.88 [0 bids]
CD Box Set: Marillion : Happiness Is The Road Deluxe Campaign Edition 2 CDs US $68.76 [0 bids]
1986 * MARILLION * "MISPLACED CHILDHOOD" WORLD TOUR SOUVENIR PROGRAMME US $7.29 [0 bids]
Marillion ~Fugazi~ US $13.00 Buy It Now 9h 18m
Marillion 'Sympathy' 1992 EMI single in oicture sleeve US $1.60 [0 bids]
Marillion - Lavender / Freaks EMI MARIL-4 Ex Condition 7" Single US $6.46 Buy It Now 9h 36m
Marillion - Cover My Eyes (EMI 12" Vinyl EP-1991 + Poster) US $5.65 Buy It Now 9h 52m
MARILLION Misplaced Childhood (Gatefold) EMI 1985 US $14.57 Buy It Now 10h 3m
Marillion Live At Walsall Junction Limited Edition USED CD US $60.00 Buy It Now 10h 5m
FISH - Internal Exile (1991 4 trk CD single) Marillion US $4.84 [0 bids]
Marillion, Misplaced Childhood Audio CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 10h 20m
MARILLION - Grendel 12" Picture Disc (Record Store Day 2013 Limited Edition) US $24.29 [0 bids]
MARILLION Live from Cadogan Hall 2 CD amazing live CD US $10.95 Buy It Now 10h 35m
MARILLION Live from Cadogan Hall 2 DVD amazing live DVD US $10.95 Buy It Now 10h 38m
Marillion - Heart Of Lothian / Chelsea Monday (live) EMI MARIL-5 Ex- Condition US $8.08 Buy It Now 10h 41m
Marillion Real to Reel 1984 EMI UK Press NO JACKET Vinyl Record LP US $3.79 Buy It Now 10h 42m
MARILLION - LIVE FROM CADOGAN HALL [CD BOXSET] [2 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $13.04 Buy It Now 12h 48m
MARILLION - BEST LIVE NEW CD US $20.48 Buy It Now 13h 40m
MARILLION - Warm Wet Circles - PICTURE DISC US $10.00 [0 bids]
FISH (MARILLION).CREDO.12" EP.UK.w/PICTURE SLEEVE. US $13.95 Buy It Now 13h 44m
MARILLION Lavender Blue PICTURE DISC US $8.00 [0 bids]
MARILLION - LIVE FROM CADOGAN HALL [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $10.98 Buy It Now 14h 8m
The Thieving Magpie (La Gazza Ladra) by Marillion (CD, Mar-1989, 2 Discs,... US $20.00 Buy It Now 14h 16m
Marillion : This Strange Engine CD (2008) US $10.94 Buy It Now 14h 31m
MARILLION - SOMEWHERE IN LONDON (2PC) NEW DVD US $26.19 Buy It Now 14h 46m
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood Promo LP US $7.99 [0 bids]
Fish - Internal Exile CD - Original USA Edition Marillion US $6.99 Buy It Now 16h 46m
Marillion "Clutching At Straws" 1987/8 UK Programme + Ticket US $19.44 Buy It Now 19h 7m
Marillion - Sounds That Can't Be Made [CD New] US $6.74 Buy It Now 19h 43m
MARILLION - LIVE FROM CADOGAN HALL [CD NEW] US $10.99 Buy It Now 19h 47m
MARILLION - LIVE FROM CADOGAN HALL CD + DVD US $10.99 Buy It Now 19h 48m
MARILLION A Sunday Night Above The Rain 2 CD DOUBLE ( 2014 ) US $11.99 Buy It Now 19h 52m
MARILLION A Sunday Night Above The Rain DVD US $11.99 Buy It Now 19h 55m
MARILLION - THE THIEVING MAGPIE LA GAZZA LADRA - 2Tapes, Polish pressing US $14.00 Buy It Now 21h 29m
MARILLION - 1 PAGE ADVERT FROM 1980s No1 MAGAZINE. CLUTCHING AT STRAWS US $8.08 Buy It Now 22h 34m
Mick Pointer - Marillion's Script Revisited (2014) US $22.18 Buy It Now 22h 53m
Duran Duran / Wham / Marillion / Dead Or Alive / Israel Made Only Israeli LP US $12.99 Buy It Now 23h 23m
Marillion Don't Hurt Yourself UK CD single in Digipak (2004) US $8.66 Buy It Now 23h 31m
MARILLION 'KAYLEIGH' UK PRESSED PICTURE DISC 12" SINGLE US $24.29 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION ANORAKNOPHOBIA CD FIRST PRESS 2001 EMI 8 TRACKS - Rock US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Marillion - Less Is More (NEW CD) US $18.21 Buy It Now 1 day
Marillion - Kayleigh 7" 1985 Ex/Ex EMI MARIL3 US $6.46 Buy It Now 1 day
80s 90s Marillion FISH excuse me 1990 UK Picture Disc 12" Vinyl Single MINT US $9.70 [0 bids]
80s Marillion FISH big wedge 1989 UK Picture Disc 12" Vinyl Single MINT US $9.70 [1 bids]
MARILLION - SOMEWHERE ELSE [MARILLION] [022891101123] - NEW CD US $5.17 Buy It Now 1 day
Marillion - Lavender 7" 1985 Ex/Vg EMI MARIL4 US $4.84 Buy It Now 1 day
Marillion - Heart Of Lothian 7" 1985 Ex/Vg EMI MARIL5 US $6.46 Buy It Now 1 day
Marillion - Kayleigh UK 7" US $6.46 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION See It Like A Baby - 1 track Near Mint 2007 UK PROMO CDS US $8.79 Buy It Now 1 day
Marillion SOMETHING ELSE - PROMO DVD 2007 US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Marillion SOMEWHERE ELF fanclub Christmas CD 2007 US $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Fish CD Single Lady Let It Lie signed by FISH ex- Marillion US $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION freaks 7" live b/w kayleigh live (maril9) pic sleeve uk emi 1988 US $8.08 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION - Script For a Jester's Tear (LP, 1983) Very Good+ CANADIAN PRESSING US $9.99 [0 bids]
Marillion DVD SOMEWHERE IN LONDON Genesis CD Yes Fish Marbles US $13.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Yes DVD House Of Yes Live CD Genesis Asia Marillion Pink Floyd US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Mick Pointer Band - Marillion's Script Revisited (NEW 2 VINYL LP) US $34.01 Buy It Now 1 day
VINYL 7" SINGLE - MARILLION - KAYLEIGH - MARIL 3 US $11.33 Buy It Now 1 day
FISH (MARILLION) - BIG WEDGE - 1989 IMPORT CD SINGLE - VERY RARE - EXC COND. US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION Less Is More CD (2009) Intact Records US $14.58 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION & THE POSITIVE LIGHT Tales From The Engine Room CD Eagle label US $12.96 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION HOOKS IN YOU PS 45 US $0.81 [1 bids]
Marillion - Sympathy/Kayleigh/Dry Land 12" 3 Track Picture Disc NM 1992 EMI US $11.34 [0 bids]
MARILLION - PUNCH AND JUDY - 12" PICTURE DISC US $8.08 [1 bids]
MARILLION, The Thieving Magpie: Vinyl Double Album (1988) US $12.95 Buy It Now 1 day
SOFT ROCK COLLECTED INC THE WATERBOYS & MARILLION CD ALBUM US $3.08 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION, Fugazi: Vinyl LP (1984) US $7.70 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION - SINGLES BOXSET [MARILLION] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $19.89 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION - SOUNDS THAT CAN'T BE MADE [CD] [1 DISC] [4560329801192] - NEW CD US $45.82 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy MARILLION music online Buy MARILLION & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MARILLION DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MARILLION Real to Reel - Brief Encounter ratings distribution

MARILLION Real to Reel - Brief Encounter reviews

Review by Guillermo
4 stars I bought this double C.D. remastered versions in 1998, after recording both albums as L.P.s from a FM Radio station broadcast in a cassette in 1988 (from a series of programmes dedicated to Marillion), and later in 1993 I bought "Real to Reel" in a cheap "Fame/EMI" L.P.edition. The live version of "Kayleigh" was the first song I heard from Marillion in a FM station in 1986-87, and it led me to buy the "Misplaced Childhood" album. All the live versions of all songs are very good, particularly "Incubus", "Cinderella Search", "Forgotten Sons", "Script for a Jester`s Tear" and "Fugazi". Ian Mosley added more power to the drums in comparison to the original studio versions of songs played by Mick Pointer.I think that the studio recordings of "Lady Nina" and "Freaks" were previously released as B-sides of singles, and they are good songs too. These remasters of both albums sound very good.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#12496) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Review by Gatot
4 stars When this double CD was released I was totally in doubt to purchase it or not because I had the "Real to Reel" CD already and also the "Brief Encounter" separately in the format of cassette. "Brief Encounter" never been released in CD format before as it was introduced / marketed in the US and Canada with vinyl and cassette formats only. Quite honest also, "Brief Encounter" did not really favor me. But for Marillion - why not man?! Especially the price is actually for one CD, so I just purchased it for GBP 7.5 at that time. And I never regret owning this double CD while the Real To Reel CD is still with me, without any intention to let it go.

CD 1: Real To Reel

It's a great show by the band especially if you have been familiar with their first two albums: "Script for A Jester's Tear" and "Fugazi". In fact, I was still in a full enjoyment of "Fugazi" when this album was released in 1984. I still remember how I was able to sing almost all Marillion's lyrics on top of my head (two first albums and one EP). "Emerald Lies" was my favorite at that time. I kept repeating this track over and over especially I like the dazzling percussion style and also Fish's voice in a piece of lyrics " ...in a gallery of ....contempt!" - great man! I also love the title track "Fugazi" - the opening piano intro is killing "Vodka intimate on affair with isolation in a black heat cell ." oh man . what a great shot! To my surprise that the band released their first live album with excellent title "REAL to REEL". So innovative!

I love live albums because it is alive and able to create an atmosphere of rock concert. Even the intro of "Assassing" with a background of audience's hand clapping and shouting had set a "real" nuances. This track was performed much more dynamic than its original studio track. Marvelous! The most interesting track for me is the song for peace and it's called ..."Forgotten Sons!" Wow ......!! So lively! So stunning! So great! Fish sung emotionally in this track and I know why he did that. When I listened to this track I imagined that I watched the "Recital of the Script" DVD where he sung with a gun in his arms and pretending to shoot his enemies. What a nice shot, Fish! "Garden Party" and "Market Square Heroes" were performed seamlessly with great energy and serve the purpose of being the concert's encore.

Rating for CD 1 "Real To Reel": 5/5 stars.

CD 2: Brief Encounter

When I was waiting for the next release of Marillion's album after their seminal work "Misplaced Childhood" released in 1985, I was so afraid that the band would defunct because I had enjoyed their three albums plus one ep "Market Square Heroes". At the time, there was no internet connection or any other news with respect to new release. So I was just guessing what would happen next. It came out with "Brief Encounter" LP and cassette where it featured the band's two studio tracks "Lady Nina" and "Freaks". The rest of the tracks were live performance - each representing previous three albums: "Script For A Jester's Tear" - from the band's debut album with the same title, "Fugazi" - from second album with the same title and Kayleigh - the band's hit from "Misplaced Childhood" album (the third).

"Lady Nina" is an upbeat tempo music with pop / disco touch and keyboard-based rhythm section. It's probably quite accessible to introduce someone to the music of Marillion through this tune. "Freaks" is a nice rocking track with a good credo and Fish pondering vocals. "Kayleigh" played live was never heard before and it was truly a good treat as at the time I knew that this was the band's hit. "Fugazi" was performed similar with the version in "Real To Reel" album. "Script For A Jester's Tear" had never been played before and of course I did enjoy this version.

Rating for CD 2 "Brief Encounter": 3.5/5 stars.

Summary

It is recommended that you have listened to Marillion's first two albums if you really want fully enjoy this album. If this is your first consideration to purchase Marillion album, please do not start from here. It is recommended that you start from "Script for A Jester's Tear" studio album. Keep on proggin' ..!

Progressively yours, GW

"Peace on earth and mercy mild, mother brown lost the child - just another forgotten sons!"

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#41132) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 01, 2005

Review by Cygnus X-2
4 stars This compilation is a combination of the first Marillion live album Real To Reel (from the Fugazi tour) and the EP Brief Encounter (released after Misplaced Childhood). I feel that it is a good compilation because both of these releases are hard to find individually, and it's nice to have them both in one package. I'll go about reviewing both of these packages individually, since that is the way that they were originally conceived and released.

Real to Reel is a stellar live album, featuring a nice balance of Fugazi and Script for a Jester's Tear, and a heart pounding rendition of Market Square Heroes. The band is in full form on this one, Rothery plays his heart out on the solos, Kelly guns through the keyboard sections with precision and ease, the rhythm unit of Ian Mosley and Pete Trewavas are tight and keep the flow of the songs to their intended pace, and of course Fish is always brilliant live, often performing more in depth than in the studio. My favorite songs off of this live album are Assassing, Forgotten Sons, and Market Square Heroes, with Assassing and Market Square Heroes bookending the album. Forgotten Sons is a brilliant song performed live, with Fish getting his most cynical and aggressive vocally during the closing chant of "Ring around the rosie they all fall down". I would rate this live album a 4.5/5 if I was reviewing it as a single package.

Brief Encounter is a little EP that features two songs you won't find on any Marillion studio album, Lady Nina and Freaks. Lady Nina is a nice piece with a catchy chorus and some nice keyboard work from Kelly. Freaks gets more recognition because it is featured brilliantly on Marillion's final live album with Fish La Gazza Ladra- The Thieving Magpie. It has some nice guitar fills and a catchy chorus consisting of "All the best freaks are here/ All the best freaks are here/ Please stop staring at me". The remainder of the EP are live renditions of Kayleigh, Fugazi, and Script for a Jester's Tear. Kayleigh has the same feel as Misplaced Childhood, and Fugazi has more punch to it than the studio counterpart, but Script is utterly mindblowing on this one. Every live version of this song is always just utterly incredible, but this might be the best, with Fish singing his broken and shattered heart out on it. Rothery shines with a superb guitar solo that outdoes the studio one. I would rate this EP a 3.5/5 if I was reviewing it as a single package.

Overall, if you are one who likes to find rare commodities in compilations, then this one would be right up your alley. But if your the type who likes to be a completionist, then you might want to go for each of these packages individually. In the end, I feel that this is a strong package worthy of a purchase. It gets a solid 4/5 from me.

Send comments to Cygnus X-2 (BETA) | Report this review (#71520) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 09, 2006

Review by sleeper
4 stars In '97, when EMI was remastering Marillion's early albums, they decided it would be a good idea to put the live album Real To Reel and the mini-album Brief Encounter into a single double CD release. I personally find this to have been a rather good idea.

This album was actually my introduction to Marillion and to be honest, this is what the double album does best, introduce you to some of the best of Fish era Marillion without giving away all that the band has to offer from that period. My previous reviews for Real To Reel and Brief Encounter will tell you what I think of the albums in more detail, but here I will say that RTR is a very strong live album made up of pre-Misplaced Childhood material well worth getting whilst BE has some very strong live tracks with one good and one poor studio track not really making it worth buying on its own. Together they are a collection of brilliant live performances with only a few niggles and a couple of studio tracks that are a bit hit-and-miss.

This is a double album that gives an incite into the world of Fish-era Marillion. As I said earlier, his was my introduction to Marillion and that is what it does best, it contains some of the most standout tracks of the band earlier career, namely Incubus, Forgotten Sons, Garden Party, Fugazi and Script for a Jester's Tear, without giving away everything that the band has to offer. A worthy 4 stars.

Send comments to sleeper (BETA) | Report this review (#99618) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 20, 2006

Post a review of MARILLION "Real to Reel - Brief Encounter"