COLLISION COURSE...PARADOX2

Royal Hunt

Royal Hunt Collision Course...Paradox2 album cover

Buy ROYAL HUNT Music
Studio Album, released in 2008

1.Principles of Paradox (5:43)
2.The First Rock (4:47)
3.Exit Wound (6:30)
4.Divide and Reign (5:25)
5.High Noon at the Battlefield (3:58)
6.The Clan (4:39)
7.Blood In Blood Out (6:05)
8.Tears of the Sun (6:00)
9.Hostile Breed (5:07)

- Marcus Jidell / guitars
- Allan Sorensen / drums
- Per Schelander / bass
- Andre Andersen / keyboards

Album released on March 14th by the following companies: Frontiers Records (Europe), Marquee/Avalon (Japan and SE Asia), Magna Carta (N. America), CD Maximum (Russia and C.I.S).

Thanks to henkdee for the addition
and to Tarcisio Moura for the last updates

ROYAL HUNT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ROYAL HUNT Collision Course...Paradox2 Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
A Life to Die forA Life to Die for
Frontiers Records (Universal) 2013
Show Me How to LiveShow Me How to Live
Frontiers Records 2011
xx
101 DISTRIBUTION 2010
Life to Die forLife to Die for
Imports 2013
20th Anniversary - Special Edition (3CD+DVD) - IMPORT20th Anniversary - Special Edition (3CD+DVD) - IMPORT
FRONTIERS 2013
Imports 2006
Moving TargetMoving Target
Ronde 1996
Audio CD$15.00 (used)

More places to buy ROYAL HUNT music online Buy ROYAL HUNT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ROYAL HUNT DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROYAL HUNT Collision Course...Paradox2 ratings distribution

ROYAL HUNT Collision Course...Paradox2 reviews

Review by The T
3 stars When I learned that ROYAL HUNT's new album would be named "Paradox Part II" I was surprised and quite afraid of what I would find. After all, my last experience with this excellent Danish band had been a disaster (the utterly atrocious "Paper Blood"). Then I came to know that the album would feature a new vocalist, replacing John West. My fears were growing in my mind. Not only the predecessor was an awful album, but this one wouldn't even have a great asset as West's vocals were for the band. And, of course, the number 2. Sequels in movies are usually of dubious nature and quality, but in music they're quite a rare phenomenon. I haven't heard of a "The Wall 2" or "Images and Words 2". My most immediate memory of a sequel was QUEENSRYCHE's "Operation Mindcrime 2", an album that, while not bad, was not even close to match the quality of the original masterpiece.

Here, the task was also hard. The original "Paradox" was a progressive-metal masterpiece, an album rarely criticized, with great music, catchy music, a fantastic singer (D.C. Cooper) and even a great lyrical theme. So how would ROYAL HUNT do a decent job of writing a sequel if they didn't have the same great singer or at least his very good successor, and the last we heard of them was a complete uninspired fast-metal bore fest?

Well, the answer is: don't try too hard and just copy/paste. That's the philosophy that seems to transcend from my listening sessions of "Collision Course".

The first thing to notice is that the album starts with the same notes as "Paradox." The same music opens the record and from that point on, the music will remain generally very similar to that of the 1997's magnum opus. In fact, the music is so strikingly similar that even Boals' vocals, at times, sounds similar to DC Cooper.

But that's only an illusion. The first element that hurts this album is the vocalist. Don't get me wrong: he's good. He's a very capable singer with good pipes and range. But he lacks that uniqueness factor that made Cooper the star he was. Cooper's voice may not be the best ever, but the tone of his voice is definitely unique and imposing, and in such a dark, ominous album as "Paradox" was, his voice sounded outright creepy. Boals doesn't have that kind of power nor does he have the power and epic reach of John West. Maybe Boals would have sounded much better with happier, lighter metal music. He may sound better in ANGRA or even in other ROYAL HUNT's albums where the tone of the work doesn't demand a dark voice. But in an album about the nefarious influence of religion, Boals' vocals sound too optimistic.

The music itself is quite an improvement over the atrocious "Paper Blood." Finally, it seems Andersen has realized that one can play music at different speeds and with some melody. We have good choruses here, we have some good melodies, songs with different tempos, and typical classical- influenced ROYAL HUNT keyboards with ascending and descending scales, the main element that was lost in the guitar-dominated predecessor.

But, ultimately, the good points about "Collision Course" are also the ones that hurt it most. The album is too similar to "Paradox", the melodies and the ideas in general seem literally taken from that record and pasted onto this one with just a few changes in harmonies and tonalities. It wouldn't be crazy to call this record, paraphrasing immortal classical works' titles, "Variations on a theme by Royal Hunt for Metal Ensemble and Singer."

We understand that, for a part 2 to be a true sequel, it has to share elements with its correspondent part 1. The use of some themes and melodies from the original piece is not only correct but necessary. But we can't justify a whole record made of the same sound. The similarities transcend the singular to go into the general. Not only a few melodies sound the same, the music as a whole sounds the same.

After I've said that, my rating can't be as high as it would be for the original album. "Paradox" would obtain 5 stars with no hesitation. If that album didn't exist, I would give this newer one 4 stars (the music is not as memorable anyway). But as the 1997 masterpiece is a reality, I have to bring down the rating a little bit to a 3. It's still a big success after the 1-star music-murder that was "Paper Blood."

This album sounds very similar to a masterpiece, and that's actually its biggest flaw. Isn't that a Paradox?

Send comments to The T (BETA) | Report this review (#172974) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 03, 2008

4 stars Well, to judge only by the first listening this album it would be something certainly unfair, why do I say that?. "Collision Course... "Paradox II" (I'll try to ignore this little detail on the title of this record through this review) basically tried to be the sequel of great "Paradox" from 1 ... (read more)

Report this review (#588588) | Posted by Epsilon | Thursday, December 15, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars After the first listening of this long-awaited CD from Royal Hunt, I felt myself a little kid who heard his top 10 favorite tracks. From the first note to the last, this masterpiece can't be compared to any other group - the only thought comes into your head - it's Royal Hunt. The album itself ... (read more)

Report this review (#198333) | Posted by A3000 | Saturday, January 10, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ROYAL HUNT "Collision Course...Paradox2"