VICARIOUS

Experimental/Post Metal

Tool Vicarious album cover

Buy TOOL Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2007

1. Vicarious [video] (7:06)

Search TOOL Vicarious lyrics

Search TOOL Vicarious tabs

- Adam Jones / Guitars, Synths & Video Co-Direction
- Justin Chancellor / Bass Guitar
- Danny Carrey / Drums, Additional Percussion
- Maynard James Keenan / Vocals, Keyboards
- Alex Grey / Video Co-Direction

Thanks to p0mt3 for the addition

TOOL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TOOL Vicarious Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
AenimaAenima
SalivalSalival
Explicit Lyrics · Limited Edition · CD+DVD
Volcano/Sbme 2000

More places to buy TOOL music online Buy TOOL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TOOL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TOOL Vicarious ratings distribution

TOOL Vicarious reviews

Review by Finnforest
3 stars Good, but not for the queasy set

Full disclosure up front, I don't know much about Tool. I have Lateralus and this is the first video I've seen from the band. Vicarious is the DVD-single release of the all-CGI video housed in cool, elaborate packaging. Some online comments have been critical that the band should be releasing a quality live DVD rather than CGI single videos but others have found this release very good. I'm in between. The video is extremely well done and imaginative with weird apocalyptic nightmare landscapes and images of strange humanoid bodies being invaded by parasites that look like giant fleas. It's all taste I suppose but to me the imagery was pretty ugly and negative and nothing that touched me in any way except some mild repulsion. And perhaps that was the intent. Not something I would ever wish to watch repeatedly like I would a great concert. The song is some pretty thunderous, edgy metal with great riffs and spectacular drumming cutting through the wall of noise. Definitely kicking me enough to want to hear the album which is a good thing. Extras include a "making of" mini-documentary, storyboards, and commentary. There is also a look at the Chapel of Sacred Mirrors featuring the amazing artwork of Alex and Allyson Grey-truly spectacular viewing if you are into the Tool artwork. It is a spiritual chapel and museum of sorts and they speak of having gatherings of people in the hopes of "opening the third eye." Pretty exciting and visionary stuff. I think the focus on a single track rather than a comprehensive collection of videos or live material make the purchase recommendation "for fans" but am still going 3 stars for the talents on display both musically and in the dark video. There's enough here with the video and extras to please most Tool fans I would guess. 6/10

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#181165) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 30, 2008

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'Vicarious' - Tool (Single)

I believe this was the first Tool song I ever listened to, and the first video I watched. The visual element of Tool has always been something that I've found very interesting and creative. This video is less trippy than some of the more obscure ones they have released in their time, but more of a commentary on war, and the way it is perceived. To that effect, it works with the song very well. Hearing a song about how people 'vicariously' experience things like war and devastation through their televisions without really understanding it works perfectly with the media footage of artillery shellings and tank advances.

Music alone, this was a great way to open up the album it belongs to, and a great song to get me into this band.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#280008) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 30, 2010

4 stars Many descriptions and reviews on the internet are misleading about the content of this Vicarious DVD, and for that reason I didn't purchase it until recently. What a mistake to wait! This DVD is essential for any Tool fan and an excellent find for any prog fan who likes the surreal, psychede ... (read more)

Report this review (#977467) | Posted by Earendil | Thursday, June 13, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TOOL "Vicarious"