YESTERDAY IS A FRIEND

Buy BELIEVE Music
Studio Album, released in 2008

1. Time (6:18)
2. Tumor (6:03)
3. What they Want (Is my Life) (8:01)
4. Mystery is Closer (6:00)
5. You & Me (4:51)
6. Danny had a Neighbour (5:17)
7. Memories (7:22)
8. Unfaithful (6:14)
9. Together (2:35)

Total time: 52:54

Bonus tracks on digipack version:
10. I Wish I Could

- Vlodi Tafel / drums
- Satomi / violin

Additional musicians:
- Adam Milosz / keyboards
- Winicjusz Chrost / guitar (solo on 3)
- Karol Wroblewski / flute

Metal Mind Productions MMPCD0593

Thanks to easy livin for the addition
and to proglucky for the last updates

BELIEVE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BELIEVE Yesterday is a Friend Music

The Warmest Sun In WinterThe Warmest Sun In Winter
METAL MIND 2013
Yesterday Is a FriendYesterday Is a Friend
Extra tracks · Limited Edition
Metal Mind 2008
World Is Round/Yesterday Is A Friend: Special EditionWorld Is Round/Yesterday Is A Friend: Special Edition
Special Edition
METAL MIND 2013
e2576 / CD / THRILLER U - I BELIEVE - I'M NOT A KING - 4 tracks US $3.99 Buy It Now 52m 21s
MADRIGAL I BELIEVE IN SUNSHINE & LADY 1970 7" 45 EX+ RARE CANADIAN CLASSIC ROCK US $18.99 [0 bids]
57m 16s
Aeroplane Pageant : Even the Kids Dont Believe Me CD (2009) US $4.03 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Marcella Detriot (Shakespears Sister ) I Believe Australian Picture CD Single US $6.33 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Country's Got Heart: I Still Believe in You by Various Artists (CD, 2010, 2... US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Truckasaurus - I Can't Believe It's Not Better! [CD New] US $9.58 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Finbar Wright : Whatever You Believe CD (1992) US $7.57 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Maxine Nightingale - Right Back Where We Started / Believe In What You Do 45 US $1.59 Buy It Now 1h 38m
TEXAS WHY BELIEVE IN YOU Cd Single US $12.55 Buy It Now 1h 45m
WES HARRISON YOU WON'T BELIEVE YOUR EARS Cassette Tape US $13.81 Buy It Now 1h 46m
BAY CITY ROLLERS YOU MADE ME BELIEVE IN...1977 GER 7"PS US $12.29 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Elton John - Believe 3 Track CD Single US $8.35 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Lee Soo Young - 1st Album I Believe Korea Edition Brand NEW Sealed US $65.00 Buy It Now 1h 54m
ROGER WHITTAKER I DON'T BELIEVE IN IF ANY MORE Cassette Tape US $15.36 Buy It Now 1h 57m
I Still Believe in You by Vince Gill (Cassette, Sep-1992, MCA Nashville) US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Horne,D. - I Still Believe [CD New] US $15.01 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Freebo - Something To Believe [CD New] US $12.65 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Marinelli,George - Believe [CD New] US $14.98 Buy It Now 2h
Hill,Rosena M. - If You Believe [CD New] US $16.84 Buy It Now 2h
26west - I Cant Believe [CD New] US $13.15 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Cut Loose - "Hard way to live" 7" (1984) / "You've got to believe" / West 1 US $8.43 [0 bids]
Agapesoul,Darryl Anders - Believe In Love [CD New] US $16.98 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Rocks,Marina - Believe In Love [CD New] US $16.98 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Leilah - Make Believe [CD New] US $11.73 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Frog Holler - Believe It Or Not [CD New] US $17.16 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Reverbed - Lies You Can Believe [CD New] US $13.34 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Máire Brennan CD - Máire (Against The Wind, Atlantic Shore, I Believe) Clannad US $3.59 Buy It Now 2h 7m
CD Dreams / Don't Cry Out Loud / I Believe Diana DeGarmo Single US $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 11m
BIG RIVERS....LAND OF MAKE BELIEVE....POP-LINE-45 US $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 16m
E'VOKE ~ I Believe ~ 12" Single PS US $13.51 Buy It Now 2h 31m
THE CIRCLE ~ Believe In Me / Keep On Chasing 12" Single US $13.51 Buy It Now 2h 35m
DUFF MCKAGAN BELIEVE IN ME Cassette Tape US $22.08 Buy It Now 2h 37m
LOUIS JORDAN cd I Believe in Music VG w/bonus tracks US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 38m
*VERY RARE*The Bachelors-I Believe:The Very Best-CD-25 Hits-Hard To Find!!! US $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 44m
LEON JACKSON - When You Believe (UK 3 Track CD Single) US $3.36 Buy It Now 2h 56m
TYRONE BRUNSON "Fresh" boogie funk soul '84 LP on Believe In A Dream~Servo-Go-Go US $8.98 Buy It Now 3h
LITTLE RICHARD - Keep A Knockin / Can't Believe You Wanna Leave 45-HL-0 8509 EX US $33.81 Buy It Now 3h 5m
CD Believe Cher Single US $4.00 Buy It Now 3h 18m
CD Believe Cher US $4.00 Buy It Now 3h 19m
TOTO - Make Believe - Scarce 1982 US 7" Vinyl Single US $16.89 Buy It Now 3h 35m
Reese Project I Believe 12" Network 1992 (K Saunderson) US $15.20 Buy It Now 3h 37m
Justin Bieber. Believe. DeLuxe Limited Edition.CD+76 pages book.Danish Edition. US $10.99 [0 bids]
Disturbed - Believe (CD 2002) Features "Prayer" US $6.74 Buy It Now 3h 41m
Justin Bieber. Believe. DeLuxe Edition.CD+DVD.3 extra tracks.Booklet US $10.99 [0 bids]
I BELIEVE IN COUNTRY X 6 TAPES~ A RARE FIND~ ~ US $27.97 Buy It Now 3h 43m
Nothing to Believe In cd -- compilation US $6.00 Buy It Now 3h 53m
DISTURBED - BELIEVE (KOREA) CD *SEALED* US $9.09 Buy It Now 3h 54m
JIMMY WAGES - TAKE ME FROM THIS GARDEN b/w TOMMY BLAKE - YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT US $11.82 Buy It Now 3h 58m
Sky Salt: I believe in fairy tales (CD) US $1.50 [0 bids]
POISON 'SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN' UK 10" SINGLE ON YELLOW VINYL US $11.82 Buy It Now 4h 7m
Believe by Cher (CD, Nov-1998, Warner Bros.) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Jackie Trent & Tony Hatch 7" 45 Aussie Vinyl Single - Don't You Believe It US $6.53 Buy It Now 4h 14m
Utah Saints/Believe In Me/1993 CD Single US $5.05 Buy It Now 4h 15m
Make Believe (ltd.pur Edt.) US $4.16 Buy It Now 4h 21m
Do You Believe in Love - Creation Records (CD) Ride, Primal Scream, My Bloody US $8.43 Buy It Now 4h 24m
CHER "BELIEVE" RARE AUSSIE CD SINGLE US $5.60 Buy It Now 4h 24m
MFSL1-043 CRYSTALE GAYLE " WE MUST BELIEVE "(MFSL-JAPANPRESSING-SERIES/NEARMINT) US $29.99 [0 bids]
CD Believe What You're Saying Sugar EP, Single US $4.00 Buy It Now 4h 26m
Josh Groban, I believe Promo CD Single US $3.36 Buy It Now 4h 30m
Cher - Believe (1998) 13 US $5.49 Buy It Now 4h 31m
TITA Believe In The Beat CD SINGLE Diva Dance Love Of My Dreams 4 trks MINT US $0.98 Buy It Now 4h 32m
EMF 12" vinyl record I BELIEVE US $18.58 Buy It Now 4h 32m
ARASHI JAPAN LIMITED CD+DVD Believe / Kumori Nochi ? US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 32m
GOTTHARD - NEED TO BELIEVE [CD NEW] US $8.99 Buy It Now 4h 33m
Make Believe - Shock Of Being [CD New] US $13.74 Buy It Now 4h 39m
Zz/Various Artists - I Still Believe In America (2002) - Used - Compact Dis US $1.37 Buy It Now 4h 40m
7" YOUNG JESSIE "SHUFFLE IN THE GRAVEL/MAKE BELIEVE" RHYTHM AND BLUES REISSUE US $10.50 Buy It Now 4h 43m
STARCHILD You've Gotta Believe Ex+ The Fever Label 1985 USA 12" US $10.12 Buy It Now 4h 46m
CREMATORY - BELIEVE PROMO CD RARE MINT US $12.99 [0 bids]
Believe by Cher (CD, Nov-1998, Warner Bros.) US $1.00 [0 bids]
Crystal Gayle We Must Believe in Magic MFSL Japan JVC ULTRASONIC CLEANED, VG++ US $44.00 Buy It Now 5h 9m
LeAnn Rimes You Light Up My Life/I Believe CD 1997 CURB Records, Inc. US $1.20 [0 bids]
Kamahl I Believe In You And Me Rare Readers Digest CD - New US $23.30 Buy It Now 5h 10m
joey Scarbury 7" 45 Aussie Vinyl Single - Believe it or Not US $7.46 Buy It Now 5h 14m
Toto - Make Believe 45 Demonstration Not For Sale US $4.97 [0 bids]
CD Do You Believe Jon Secada Single US $4.00 Buy It Now 5h 21m
BELIEVE - Hope to See Another Day [Digipak] + 2 free bonus promotional CDs!!! US $14.90 Buy It Now 5h 22m
CHER Believe CD US $2.00 Buy It Now 5h 23m
CD Less We Believe Between the Wars EP US $4.00 Buy It Now 5h 23m
Crystal Gayle We Must Believe in Magic vinyl LP US $19.00 Buy It Now 5h 23m
Something to Believe In by Dream State (CD, Jan-2006, Indie) US $7.00 Buy It Now 5h 23m
1933 THE CHARLIE DANIELS BAND FULL ALBUM AMERICA I BELIEVE IN YOU MUSIC CD ROCK US $12.95 [0 bids]
Rare Swamp Dogg Do You Believe Elektra 45721 45rpm Creeping Away DJ Radio Statio US $4.99 [0 bids]
Scorpions(7" Vinyl P/S)Don't Believe Her-Vertigo-VER 52-UK-Ex/VG+ US $10.12 Buy It Now 5h 33m
The Reese Project(12" Vinyl)I Believe-Network-NWKTR63-UK-VG/Ex US $13.17 Buy It Now 5h 33m
LE BLANC & CARR - Falling / I Believe That We - 45RPM US $1.25 [1 bids]
YUGOSLAVIA / ELVIS PRESLEY , ONLY BELIEVE / LIFE , 1972 RARE YUGOSLAV 7"PS US $35.50 Buy It Now 5h 49m
Sheb Wooley - The Purple People Eater / I Can't Believe You're Mine (VG) #1247 US $7.00 Buy It Now 5h 54m
JOE McELDERRY - Framed CD Presentation Disc Display US $25.34 Buy It Now 6h 2m
JUSTIN BIEBER - Framed CD Presentation Disc Display US $25.34 Buy It Now 6h 2m
SPIN DOCTORS "You've Got To Believe In Something" CD US $5.95 Buy It Now 6h 9m
BUNNY SIGLER CAN'T BELIEVE THAT YOU LOVE ME PROMO 7" SINGLE CHEAP US $8.43 Buy It Now 6h 11m
CHRIS CHRISTIAN - I Want You, I Need You/ I Don't Believe You - 45 RPM US $1.25 [0 bids]
Rare Maurice Williams Zodiacs Herald 552 45rpm R&B Doo Wop Stay Do you Believe US $4.99 [0 bids]
I Still Believe in You by Vince Gill (CD, Sep-1992, MCA Nashville) US $0.99 [0 bids]
ORIANTHI - BELIEVE II (NEW CD) US $11.20 Buy It Now 6h 22m
Tears For Fears - I Believe 7" 1985 Ex Mercury IDEA1111 US $5.05 Buy It Now 6h 22m
THE HOLLIES 'WOULD YOU BELIEVE' ORIGINAL 1966 MONO LP FIRST PRESSING US $75.98 Buy It Now 6h 38m
FOGALORD-A Legend To Believe In CD NEW US $14.76 Buy It Now 6h 42m
LENNY KRAVITZ Believe In Me 1 Trk Promo CD Single 2002 Promotional (VUSCDJ 244) US $5.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy BELIEVE music online Buy BELIEVE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BELIEVE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BELIEVE Yesterday is a Friend ratings distribution

BELIEVE Yesterday is a Friend reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
5 stars You've got to Believe

I love this album!

Polish band Believe follow up their acclaimed 2006 debut Hope to see another day with another fine neo-prog collection. The line up remains unchanged, with ex-College guitarist Mirek Gil developing the style of his former bands (including Satellite) while absorbing the influences of the other members' backgrounds. The album has a loose concept being based, in the bands words, on love, happiness, freedom, truth, faith - the most important things in everyone's life. Virtually all the lyrics are provided by the band's lyricist Robert Sieradzki.

Right from the opening Time it is clear that the attention to detail here in terms of arrangement and performance is exemplary. There is an extraordinary precision to the playing yet the album manages to retain true warmth and emotion.

We turn towards a darker side with Tumor, the violin of Satomi contributing to the remorseful atmosphere painted by the troubled lyrics. At 8 minutes, What they want (is my life) is the longest track on the album. The piece is founded on some astonishingly atmospheric violin, the harmonised vocals being reminiscent of the softer side of Porcupine Tree. Guest lead guitarist Winicjusz Chrost adds some striking colours to the louder core of the track.

While there is a welcome diversity to the tracks on the album, it simultaneously benefits from a defined continuity. The instrumental diversity of the band is exploited through the varied leads on the instrumental breaks. Apart from the aforementioned violin and guitar, Mystery is closer (for example) has some fine organ sounds.

Elsewhere, Memories paints a bleak picture of better times, Tomek Rozycki giving possibly his finest vocal performance. His quivering voice has echoes of Roger Chapman of Family, while retaining a much smoother, less confrontational mood. Indeed, the track reminds me in some ways of Family's The weaver's answer. The lead guitar work of Mirek Gil is the highlight instrumentally here.

When it comes to Unfaithful, be warned that the track includes telephone ring tone noises. I sheepishly admit that I found myself answering a non-existent phone call! The closing Together is rather different to the rest of the album. This brief acoustic coda is lighter than its predecessors, and instantly accessible.

In all, Yesterday is a friend is a highly accomplished work. Believe have succeed in blending together strong melodies, diverse arrangements, and top-tier musicianship resulting in a supremely atmospheric and highly enjoyable album. As with the work of other top class neo prog and symphonic prog bands, the album only truly reveals itself after a number of listens. That said though, the initial impact of Yesterday is a friend is still one of unfettered delight. Strongly recommended.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#170892) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Review by erik neuteboom
4 stars

Two years after their debut CD Hope To See Another Day (2006) the Polish formation Believe (featuring guitarplayer Mirek Gil, known from Collage and Satellite) has delivered a second effort with the nostalgic title Yesterday Is A Friend.

To me the 9 songs (between 2 and 9 minutes) sound as a very pleasant blend of modern progrock and folk with an important role for the sensitive guitarwork and intense violinplay (reminding me of Japanese proggers Outer Limits). From the very first song Believe their music carries me away, it sounds as a 'warm bath': in general changing from dreamy with twanging acoustic guitars, violin and flute to compelling with moving electric guitar, at some moments you can enjoy a propulsive beat that contains fiery guitar. I am delighted about the contrast between the violin and the electric guitar, also the fair amount of emotion in the vocals (with that distinctive melancholical Polish undertone) gives the music an extra dimension. The short but wonderful final track Together brings acoustic Led Zeppelin (like on III) on my mind. The role of the keyboards is limited to beautiful pianowork in some songs, only in the track Mystery Is Closer the guest musician Adam Milosz shines on synthesizers and organ.

Gradually Poland turns into a prolific progrock country, after bands like Collage, Quidam, Riverside, Satellite, Osada Vida and Nemezis, here it is Believe that succeeds to make impression, especially the fans of modern progrock with folky elements will be pleased.

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#174526) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 20, 2008

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
4 stars The story of three of Poland's top prog bands - Riverside, Satellite, and Believe - appears to be one of 3 paths that converge in the wood. With Riverside's growls and more metallic aspects, not to mention their dotage to Porcupine Tree, they command a wider audience in the new millenium than a pure neo prog play such as Satellite. With "Into the Night", Satellite shifted into Riverside vein to considerable acclaim especially here, but it was a triumph of style over substance. Believe's debut was mostly a hard rock, grunge affair with distinct prog elements, and it largely failed to capture the prog audience even though it deserved far better.

Now we have Mirek Gil's band sounding like Riverside-lite on the first few dozen listens. I am not sure what has possessed me to play this non stop for the last month while cavorting about town, but it could be Gil's lovely and varied guitar work, Tomek Rozycki's versatile and powerful vocals, Satomi's often dominant and equally eclectic violin, the anthemic choruses, the pristine yet organic production, and the balance of acoustic and electric instrumentation. While "Hope to See Another Day" was a catharsis of pent up aggressive energy, "Yesterday is a Friend" adds an eclectic rainbow of emotions to the mix, which continues to challenge me and please me immensely. The hard rock elements are woven in, occasionally to some distraction, but mostly with taste and panache. If there is a general weakness to the work, it is that the track endings generally seem to occur without any inspiration or flourish at all. This may be intended as it seems to be characteristic of the whole CD.

The band has certainly toned down and incorporated a lot more folk elements, evidenced from the opening notes of "Time", whose chorus harkens back to the excellent and much softer Mr Gil album from 1997. "Tumor" begins harshly but mellows and features one of Gil's many ecstatic lead guitar solos, in which he evokes a romantic Robert Fripp, inducing purrs and chirps from his instrument and goosebumps from the listener.

The album picks up a notch in the middle, with 3 numbingly beautiful songs. Of particular note are the inspired flute sections on "What they Want", the indigenous chants and sublime organ lead on "Mystery is Closer" and the delicate acoustics of "You & me" ratcheted a few notches by yet another master display by Gil.

"Danny had a Neighbour" is the weakest number, and is disturbing on a variety of levels, but not in a good way. The album returns to strength with "Memories" that includes a buildup to yet another memorable chorus, and "Unfaithful", which reminds me of Opeth's softer moments. The closing track and its philosophical musings are a perfect bridge to the future, which promises to be as friendly as yesterday if we can just bring ourselves to believe.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#179271) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 09, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
4 stars The second efford by polish band Believe is a great step forward. While I liked their debut Hope To See Another Day, I really did not enjoy the way these guys handled the vocal duties. It was too ´grunge´ to my ears, even thought the musicanship was great. Fortunatly their sophmore release is an improvemnt over that. Sure, there are some Alice In Chains-like vocals here and there (like in Tumor), but vocalist Tomek Rozycki is now using a more natural, clean, register which fits the music much better, at least prog wise. Also new are the good inclusion of the acoustic guitar on some tracks and the more even use of the keyboards (done by guest musician Adam Milosz).

Of course Mirek Gil´s trademark guitar solos are a highlight too. Together with Satomi´s fine violin likcs, they give Believe a very distinctive sound. Still sometimes the songs remind me fo Gil´s former band Collage, which should be taken as a compliment, since I love that legendary outfit. You & Me ofr exemple, could easily be on Moonshine, it´s simply beautiful. The tracklist has some ups and downs, the band is clearly still finding their own sounding, but none is hack. In fact, only the aforementioned Tumor and Danny Had a Neighbor are not on the same league as the rest of the CD.

I´m realy glad to see how much this band has grown in such a short time. The arrangements are tasteful and varied, the production is top notch and the performances are very strong and emotional. This is the kind of CD that gets better with everynew listening. If you liked their debut album you´ll be delighted to see how they improved. If you don´t know this band yet, this is a good starting point. A nice surprise. Four stars.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#182094) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Review by Windhawk
4 stars Interesting follow up from this talented Polish band.

With crystal clear vocals, extensive use of violin and those atmospheric guitar solos only Polish acts manage to produce, Believe manage to weave some really compelling tunes here. The structure of the tunes are highly complex, containing multiple segments; at times the entire song will be an everchanging cycle of changing segments; but somehow the songs manage to sound cohesive still.

With an emphasis on melodies and atmospheric sounds, the tunes are slick in expression; but even so darker elements are incorporated into the soundscapes without sounding out of place; especially drawn out guitar chords add a darker tinge to the compositions.

Mixing in elements from symphonic rock, hard rock and pop music in compelling and captivating tunes, fans of modern progressive rock in particular should find this release to be highly interesting.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#183164) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 22, 2008

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars I was waiting for this sophomore release from Believe with a certain amount of trepidation, having thoroughly enjoyed their debut and being a big fan of Mirek Gil's guitar skills. I had a hard time comprehending the "grunge" comments from some of the other reviewers but I can state unequivocally that this effort is way "proggier" than their in initial disc, the vocals are much improved and way more polished (no pun intended!), with a more elaborate delivery set in a less commercial musical pasture. The lyrical content remains bleak, dealing again with loneliness, deceit, memories and pain. Most of the new tracks are still in the 6 minute mould but are way more intricate and ornate, "Time" opening up the breach with a superlative melody, great singing and a positively blistering Gil solo that devastates unflinchingly. The dark and brooding "Tumor" provides some shimmering violin courtesy of Satomi, weird goblinesque vocal effects, screeching guitar, whimpering orchestrations and capped off with a sublime lead vocal. Drummer Vlodi Tafel keeps the stitches nice and taut. Some most welcome piano gives this not only prog credibility but also a warmth that is only paralleled by Mirek's delightful propensity for simple and effective notes. Acoustic guitar leads "What They Want", the longest track here clocking in over 8 minutes with sullen simplicity, entirely brooding and overtly melancholic, a lead vocal to gently crawl for and a suave violin foray that squeeze out so many emotions, contrasting with the harsher electric guitar. A delicate flute, a debonair piano and some bass conductors adds some more detailed colorings to the whole. Next up is "Mystery is Closer", with proto-African beats and chanting rapidly evolving into a typical Believe composition, with all the usual suspects in fine form, the memorable chorus is just spell-binding while Gil's growling fretwork rages in the background, dabs of crystalline piano and smoking violin adding to the er. mystery. The instrumental section here has a finely restrained organ solo and a repeat chorus finale. "You & Me" is one of the classic tracks on this offering, a simple prog-pop song full of natural melodic beauty with little trappings featuring a stellar vocal with discreet violin and piano backing, humming backing vocals echoing in the distance, some intricate bass and a fragile, precious, unpretentious Gil solo. Impressive track! "Danny Had a Neighbour" is a tonal departure that needs some time to blossom from its bizarre and rather morbid lyrical content but does feature a soaring guitar solo that ultimately cannot push this into the fabulous. Average. "Memories", on the other hand, is a return to the violin-drenched melancholia that qualifies Polish prog in general and Believe in particular, an ominous feeling of Slavic disenchantment or even "ennui" that is so prevalent in their art. Satomi infuses some serious classical licks, while Tomek Rozycki recalls his better vocals exhibitions (as in "Pain" from the previous album) with a passionate evocation of the pain from the past, this is my favorite track here by far. Beautifully sad as Mirek wails forcefully, I am such a sucker for this kind of music, Pfff! Another winner, "Unfaithful" deals again with a Believe preferred subject matter (Lies) and hence, does not disappoint, a fittingly adroit companion to "Liar" from the debut with strange Gentle Giant like violin spots and some ragingly irate vocal bile from Tomek, odd telephone beeps effects abound in the background. A painful guitar squall ends this stunning piece of expressive loneliness. "Together" is brief ditty about trust and closes up the basic album. My digi-pack version offers up three bonus tracks that are well worth the hunt. The Polish sung and short "I Wish I Could" is a pleasant affair that gently breezes along. "Holy Night" is a gem that deserves lofty praise, all the Believe ingredients are here, an almost Collage-like tune, dealing again with the feeling of desperate solitude on Christmas Eve (a holy night for all Poles), loaded with various effects and some brilliant violin, suave guitar and stellar piano. "Best Wishes for Robert Fripp" is an unabashed tribute to Prog's greatest innovator and it goes way beyond dross outtakes from sessions, a playful instrumental that shows clearly that these are serious proggers and not grunge /alternative wannabes. I Believe ...You should too ....4.5 lonely hunters.

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#192371) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 08, 2008

4 stars BELIEVE's second album is as tszirmay suggests "proggier" than the debut, and the lyrics are more positive as well, although there is still some dark lyrics and music here. I'm sure i'm the only one on this site who would prefer the more Alternative and heavier sounding debut to this one.This is more to do with my background in music then anything else, but for me the debut is more enjoyable.

"Time" opens with acoustic guitar as synths, drums then violin comes in. Vocals a minute in then the tempo starts to pick up and the sound gets fuller. An atmospheric calm before 3 1/2 minutes. Ripping guitar 5 minutes in as it kicks into gear again. Great opening track. "Tumor" builds fairly quickly. This is darker. Some atmosphere and violin after 2 1/2 minutes. Interesting that a line from the opening track is repeated on this one. Piano 4 1/2 minutes in followed by guitar. "What They Want (Is My Life)" opens with strummed guitar as violin and vocals join in quickly. The violin sounds so good on this one. Drums and vocals start to lead the way. Aggressive guitar 3 minutes in. Flute and piano after 4 1/2 minutes. It kicks back in after 7 minutes. "Mystery Is Closer" features percussion and chanting before the vocals take over with some piano. Love the chorus on his one. Excellent vocals. The keys and minor riffing sound so good after 3 1/2 minutes.

"You & Me" opens with acoustic guitar and reserved vocals. Violin a minute in followed by piano. Guitar after 3 minutes and a fuller sound. "Danny Had A Neighbour" is my favourite, I especially like his vocals. This is darker lyrically as well. Love the guitar solo 4 minutes in. Amazing tune. "Memories" is mellow with acoustic guitar and violin early.The lyrics are rather haunting. The sound gets fuller and heavier. Check it out after 2 minutes. Love when he sings the chorus "I am lonely all in my memories, from the moment you're gone". The guitar just goes on and on from before 5 minutes until it settles after 6 minutes with piano. "Unfaithful" doesn't do a lot for me lyrically but it's still a good one. Lots of piano and violin. "Together" is the positive ending with acoustic guitar and violin early. Spoken words in this one too.

I really like "Time", "Tumor", "Danny Had A Neighbour" and "Memories" a lot. These make this album a must have all by themselves. Hey the rest is good too.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#192658) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 11, 2008

Review by progrules
4 stars There were already signs by what I read and heard that this successor band of Collage would be better than Mr. Gil, the short single project by Mirek Gil. I didn't really like his album Alone back then so I wanted to make sure that this was something better before I took my shot at it. The other successor of Collage is of course Satellite and for several years now I consider that band one of the best ever.

I will not describe every song this time but will give a rating for each song and an evaluation in the end. 1. Time 3,5* 2. Tumor 3,75* 3. What they want (is my life) 3,75* 4. Mystery is closer 3,25* 5. You & me 3,25* 6. Danny had a neighbour 3,5* 7. Memories 4* 8. Unfaithfull 4* 9. Together 3,25* (three bonustracks not counting for the total score: 10. I wish I could 3,25* 11. Holy Night 3,75* 12. Best wishes for Robert Fripp 3,25*).

All in all a positive score for Believe's second album. The violin gives a special atmosphere to the songs and makes it sound completely different than Collage. What remained is the almost folkish Polish sound and is in Believe stronger present than in most other Polish bands. What I miss on this album is a highlight, some mindblowing song that makes you really eager to play the album. It's more of a consistent album with nice songs in a recognizable, typical style. Still I'm surprised that so far all the prog reviewers really love this album and value it highly. Because although I'm also postive and will give it 4 stars in the end I can't really say I'm ecstatic about it (3,6).

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#194576) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 21, 2008

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars Who's not touched by violin on Tumor please raise your hand. Nobody ? As I supposed. Strange thing is that even Poland and Czech Republic are neighbors, their new prog scene has many masterpieces, while ours has literally nothing, except few unoriginal death metal bands (you can love it, but they sounds basically the same).

But here, my secret passion (heavy instruments, guitars, style of playing drums, strong vocal without growling + strings) came through. Same thing I heard on latest maudling of the well album and was excited by it. There's something unnatural about this combination, so beautiful, that it exceeds Earth limits. And who knows what's beyond. But this sound fits there. It basically like records which reached this perfection without using unnatural (and forcefully uneasy) distort sounding music. Is it a crime to like those, which are pleasant and at the same time masterpieces/good pieces more than those, where I don't feel safe when listening them, which are uneasy for me to listen ?

This record sounds fresh, mostly due to piano, not synths under each track. Guitar sounds differently in each track, vocals are fine for me (maybe not so good for others, this is very personal thing, same as with languages) Only weird thing (but OK, just for me weird) is that Polish language sounds like Russian to me, similar sounding use of ?č, y and accents. But that can't influence anything, it wouldn't be fair.

5(-), because I was deciding if to give 4-5 and finally good feelings overweighted the bad ones (by bad here I in fact mean 4 star). Very pleasant surprise.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#238792) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 12, 2009

Review by Warthur
5 stars There's plenty of Polish bands known for dazzling neo-prog musicianship, but few are quite as original as Believe get on their incredible Yesterday Is a Friend. Showing the least reliance on the 80s-era greats of any Polish neo band I've ever heard, and with the violin of Satomi and the David Gilmour/Steve Rothery guitar mastery of Mirek Gil acting as the band's secret weapons, they produce a fascinating sound which shows a great level of technical accomplishment. What's particularly fascinating is the lesser emphasis on keyboards compared to many other neo-prog bands, with the other instruments instead playing a greater role (and the band members proving adept at getting a greater than average range of sounds out of them). This one blows me away every time I listen to it.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#732054) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars The Prog world received more than warmly the new project of Mirek Gil and quickly a second album was among the plans of Believe.Robert Sieradzki still appears as a member of the group with no vocal but only lyrics' contributions, while Adam Milosz now appears as a guest musician, despite playing all the keyboard parts in the new album.Additionally the entitled ''Yesterday is a friend'' was released in 2008 on a new label, the Polish Metal Mind Records.

Gil's inspiration not only seems endless, but with this second work he tries to propose an even more personal sound for Believe.Imagine a more upbeat SATELLITE and a more melodic PORCUPINE TREE and add these lovely violin beats and the typical Polish atmospheres to get a close look to an album, that speaks about the highest values of the human being, such as love, happiness, freedom, truth and faith.So, it's not a surprise that ''Yesterday is a friend'' moves among different emotional states and deep atmospheres, always led by the band's musicianship and depending on each track.But the basic characteristics remain Gil's unmet guitar solos and sometimes sharp riffs, Satomi's unique violin plays, shifting from dreamy tunes to melancholic textures and the deep, background keyboards of Milosz.The album has always a huge sense of melody with very good guitar moves and very sensitive vocal lines by Tomasz Rozycki and easily puts Believe among the finest entries of the Polish Prog scene.Some front keyboard plays and a careful presence of acoustic passages make the style even more charming and diverse.The tracks are accesible, without missing the aim of demanding and proggy arrangements, the production is top notch and the themes are very tight with a nice flow.

The debut of Believe was good, this one is propably even better.Great melodies, great singing, great emotions.Another nice proposal from Poland, strongly recommended...3.5 stars.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#993664) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 09, 2013

4 stars Yesterday is a Friend is truly a magical album. This project of Collage and Satellite guitarist, Mirek Gil, achieves to give you an excellent perspective of what the Polish scene is giving to the world, well arranged music, a well produced album, excellent musicians and individual performances ... (read more)

Report this review (#1009473) | Posted by Memo_anathemo | Thursday, August 01, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is one of few albums on the archives with 10+ reviews and not a single rating below 4 stars. I think this near-universal praise is well-deserved - Believe is a modern classic, and perhaps the best album to come out of the Polish wing of neo-prog since Abraxas' Centurie, a decade earlier. ... (read more)

Report this review (#588971) | Posted by 1791 Overture | Friday, December 16, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A fine sophomore effort from Mirek Gil's Believe. If you enjoyed their first outing I am sure this new album won't disappoint. The Cd is a marked progression from the debut, both in terms of the band's writing and playing. An album that ought to put to rest any lingering doubts that they shou ... (read more)

Report this review (#194475) | Posted by barp | Saturday, December 20, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BELIEVE "Yesterday is a Friend"