QUELQUE PART

- Martin Vanier / guitar, synthesizer guitar, 12 string guitar
- Mark DiClaudio / drums

CD Unicorn Digital 2008

Thanks to incognito710 for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

TALISMA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TALISMA Quelque Part Music

Vinyl$15.00 (used)
Ritmo E EmocoesRitmo E Emocoes
For All Music
Audio CD$14.90 (used)

More places to buy TALISMA music online Buy TALISMA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TALISMA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TALISMA Quelque Part ratings distribution

TALISMA Quelque Part reviews

Review by Slartibartfast
5 stars Yeah, I liked this one up until the Quelque part.

Just kidding. When you think of three piece progressive bands from Canada of course Rush comes to mind. Sorry Rush fans, these guys blow them out of the water. Granted they aren't really a vocal oriented band though they have had a female guest vocalist on a few tracks on their first Unicorn Records release and this one. Come to think of it Geddy does sing in a high register. Hmm.

These guys are French Canadian so most of the titles here are either in French or a play on French words or something. I don't understand French. I've put what seems to be the English translation for those that appeared to translate online in parenthesis.

Introssimo The opening melody is very similar to Vangelis' Antarctica. But the music is of course much more energetic. One thing about listening to Talisma is you get the sense of being taken on a journey.

Basse de Fou (Low of Insane) Another one of giddy up and go type songs the band does so well. Reminds me of some the things Mr. Bungle used to do. Who say's you can't dance to prog? Of course it would have to be with really insane hectic dance moves.

Ibliss A bit of a dark song with lots of changes and interesting samples worked into the music.

Iseult The first track with vocals, so I'm not entirely sure what guest Florence Belanger is singing, but she has a sweet voice and also contributes piano, though it's not specified on which tracks. A more acoustically oriented track than many here.

Quelque Part (Some Share) Another vocal piece, very haunting opening.

L'Aube (L' Paddle) After the somewhat light break of the last two tracks, things get a little spooky and more intense. Music like a soundtrack not needing a movie to go with it. Ends abruptly then.

Od More heavy and even more intense, frantic, manic, urgent. Music that happens when you take the d off of the end of odd? More likely short for odyssey. Reminds me a lot of the Dixie Dregs song of the same name in many ways. Then there's a weird Eastern European music-sounding ending.

Astromuz Just some intense synthesizing in a compact little track.

Modale (Modal) Why yes, it is and once again a lot of interesting music packed into one little track.

Cassiopeia Interesting relatively peaceful opening and then the song stops. After a moment it kicks into a whole different mood. I hear stuff reminiscent of Gentle Giant! Happy The Man! Another brief break and then final section. Upbeat yet a little wistful.

It's really hard to express in words what there is here to hear in the music. It's one of those albums where a good sit down and listen is richly rewarded. It's the kind of new progressive music that just might make those stuck in the past sit up and take notice.

Send comments to Slartibartfast (BETA) | Report this review (#174603) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 20, 2008

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars This Canadian trio already released two good to very albums prior this one. Both of them were seriously Crimson oriented and were (almost) instrumental pieces.

When I discovered ''Introssimo'', I found it quite symphonic during the first part, while KC got back later on: a darker and heavier feel floating on this music. This is a charming track which marvellously combines eclectic with symphonic. A highlight and one of their best track ever, IMO.

The band is also used to present short tracks, and is again the case here. But none of ''Bosse De Fou'' or ''Ibliss'' could draw my attention.

What's new with this album, is not only that several song titles are in French (this has already been the case: ''L'Empalé'' or ''Le Druide'' from their first album for instance) but that there are somle sung tracks.

''Iseult'' is the first of them, but even if I'm a native French speaker, I can hardly understand what is said here. It is due to the fact that the singer is using a vocalized style which makes it rather difficult to understand. Anyway, I far much prefer the second of those ''sung'' numbers: the title track actually. But, apart from the great opening number, I can't say that this album is on par with their earliest efforts.

It gets much, much better with the beautiful ''L'Aube'' (dawn). This is a remarkable and dramatic track: passion all the way through. Keys to start with and then a truly sublime guitar part. Very symphonic and poignant. As some Nordic bands can be (''Änglagård'', ''Anekdoten''). Another highlight. ''Astromuz'' is of the same vein as well (but waaay too short to my taste).

The frenetic ''Od'' is another Crimson little baby: wild rhythm, scary and oppressive atmosphere. This could perfectly fit as a soundtrack for a horror movie. A great track indeed, but very dark.

The symphonic side of the band is back with the closing and longest track from ''Quelque Part'' (somewhere) that is a fine way to end this album. I hesitate between three and four stars. I would have loved to rate it as seven out of ten. So, let's u!pgrade it to four stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#222404) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 22, 2009

4 stars "Quelque Part" is Talisma's third album. Created in 2000, Talisma is a Canadian instrumental progressive rock trio? But don't think of Rush since they come from Montreal and they have a very different style! They released two albums before, "Corpus" in 2003 and "Chromium" in 2005. I'm afraid I ... (read more)

Report this review (#266489) | Posted by Thierry | Tuesday, February 16, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TALISMA "Quelque Part"