YOUNG MOUNTAIN

This Will Destroy You Young Mountain album cover

Buy THIS WILL DESTROY YOU Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2006

1. Quiet (4:53)
2. The World Is Our... (7:07)
3. I Believe in Your Victory (6:32)
4. Grandfather Clock (2:37)
5. Happiness: We're in This Together (8:36)
6. There Are Some Remedies Worse Than the Disease (6:18)

Search THIS WILL DESTROY YOU Young Mountain lyrics

Search THIS WILL DESTROY YOU Young Mountain tabs

- Chris King / guitar
- Jeremy Galindo / guitar
- Raymond Brown / bass, keyboard
- Andrew Miller / drums

Magic Bullet Records

Thanks to burritounit for the addition

THIS WILL DESTROY YOU MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THIS WILL DESTROY YOU Young Mountain Music

Young MountainYoung Mountain
Magic Bullet 2006
Young Mountain by This Will Destroy You (2006-06-06)Young Mountain by This Will Destroy You (2006-06-06)
Magic Bullet

More places to buy THIS WILL DESTROY YOU music online Buy THIS WILL DESTROY YOU & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THIS WILL DESTROY YOU DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THIS WILL DESTROY YOU Young Mountain ratings distribution

THIS WILL DESTROY YOU Young Mountain reviews

Review by TCat
4 stars Even though this is an E.P, it clocks in at 36 minutes of beautiful, blissful post-rock instrumentals. This was the band's debut recording and it was self-promoted and self-produced. However, the E.P. was getting a lot of buzz and great reviews, which, for a beginning band, were well deserved. They were soon signed on by a label and this E.P. was re-released by the label. The production is superb and sounds nothing like a debut album.

The band hails from the same place as the post-rock band "Explosions in the Sky", but to me the sound of this album is so much richer and varied then EitS. They do tend to follow the basic post- rock formula on this album, but I find it is more emotive and beautiful, especially in the softer sections. Probably more closer to Mogwai than EitS, they are also not afraid to use digital percussion at times, or, at least, that is what it sounds like.

The first track is "Quiet" and it sounds very much like a typical post-rock song. But "The World is Our _____" is so much better, with that pretty build up that climaxes a few times, and the build up isn't overly long. Again, the sound is so well textured that every sound is heard and the music isn't as dense and hard to access as it is in another post-rock band called "Pelican". This music is so much more penetrable and that works to a definite advantage. "I Believe in Your Victory" is another one similar to the 1st track except the climaxes are not as dense and the guitars have a nice ringing, chiming sound. On the second build up, there is a very strange percussion pattern that is definitely original, kind of a start/stop beat that helps to build tension.

The intermediate, short track called "Grandfather Clock" is a very nostalgic feeling song which doesn't have a build up, but it lovely nonetheless. It breaks up the formulaic feeling before it gets too repetitive and is well placed on the album. "Happiness" comes next and this one is an example of a post-rock symphony, so well layered and beautiful. Again the climaxes aren't overly dense but are lighter sounding than a lot of Post-rock music and that is what is so attractive to me. Such a well thought-out song with a lot of real emotion pouring out of the instruments. Very nice. Last but not least is the multi-part "There Are Some Remedies..." which is a little more harsh, but still not impenetrable. When the second build up comes in, the rhythm's change and build up to a very explosive climax this time which suddenly ends leaving you suspended in the middle of some special effects by the guitars. The ending is a little quick and even though the suspension at the end is a effective ending, it would have been nice to be allowed to shimmer a little longer. But that is a minor complaint really.

Overall, this is a vary good debut recording by the band and definitely leaves you wanting to explore more of their music. There really isn't anything ground breaking, but it definitely is post- rock that rises above the norm even with the formulaic structure. The emotion level is much higher than what I have heard in most cookie-cutter post-rock bands. I feel there is a lot of promise in this E.P. and as for myself, I want to explore more of their music. Even though I have had this excellent E.P. for a while, I still have the desire to listen to more of their discography. In the meantime, I will give this a 4 star rating, albeit a very strong 4 stars.

5 stars I already wrote a review for their self-titled album, and I gave it 5 stars, little after that I listened to their Young Mountain EP, and what can I say? I think I even like it more than the album! While their S/T was more about ambient soundscapes, really slow movements and little climaxes, this ... (read more)

Report this review (#246008) | Posted by JTP88 | Saturday, October 24, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THIS WILL DESTROY YOU "Young Mountain"