LA FORESTA

Keyboards, Vocals - Carlo Riccardi
Written-By, Producer - Enrico Riccardi

Dischi Ricordi 1971

BMG 2003

Thanks to micky for the addition
and to Todd for the last updates

I LEONI MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy I LEONI La Foresta Music

More places to buy I LEONI music online Buy I LEONI & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for I LEONI DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

I LEONI La Foresta ratings distribution

I LEONI La Foresta reviews

3 stars I LEONI were a trio from Northern Italy who left us with only one album (surprise) back in 1971. The cover art is pretty intersting, but even more interesting is the fact that Enrico Riccardi wrote all the lyrics and all the music yet he wasn't even a performing member of the band ! I'm assuming that it's his brother Carlo on keys and vocals while we also have a drummer and bassist.There is some guest female vocals as well. My biggest complaint is that half the songs are ballad-like, and I understand they did release a couple of singles which doesn't surprise me because some of these are definitely radio friendly. On the other hand there is some really good music here where they branch out (haha) and offer up some proggy ideas and passages.

"L'Alba" opens with slowly played piano as accordion and drums join in. Reserved vocals a minute in.The tempo picks up before 2 minutes with piano leading the way. "Il Rinoceronte" opens with piano that builds quickly then stops as flute takes over. Fragile vocals and piano follow. A fuller sound 1 1/2 minutes in with drums and bass although it's still ballad-like. Organ befroe 2 1/2 minutes. Themes are repeated. Female vocal melodies later with organ is a nice touch. "Jena Ridens" is darker and heavier with some sinister organ and pounding drums. I like it ! Vocals come in with passion this time, and I like the drumwork here as well. "Lo Stregone" is a cool song with lots of percussion and organ. Some spoken words 1 1/2 minutes in. "L'Incendio" is another ballad-like tune with piano and vocals. Organ later.

"Le Scimmie" opens with what sounds like a party going on as percussion and guitar come in. Flute and bass follow. Some distorted keys on this one 1 1/2 minutes in. Trippy stuff man. "La Rugiada" is another ballad-like tune although it's pretty good. "La Giraffe" is one of my favourites with that good rhythm and the vocals sound better. Some fuzz too. It turns into an uptempo jam before 3 1/2 minutes and then ends abruptly. "Sesse" has this catchy beat with vocals. This is a fun song as he sings the letters of the song title in the chorus. Check out the percussion, flute and drums late. "Il Tramonto" opens with slowly played piano before female vocal melodies come in. Drums arrive as the sound gets fuller. Bass 2 minutes in followed by accordion.

This is a good album, I just wished they tried to be more adventerous and taken out most of the ballads. Still I can see this album getting a lot of 4 star ratings because it's fun and very well done.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#200098) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Review by Todd
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano!
3 stars Nice prog-inflected pop, early in the RPI timeline

"La Foresta" is a nice album from 1971, fairly early in the RPI evolution from beat bands to full-fledged progressive. When put into historical context, this album sounds even better. The artwork is very good and indicates some of the inclinations of the album?taking something familiar and putting an interesting spin on it.

As John (Sinkadotentree) indicates in his review, the album (ten songs, about 35 minutes) is about half composed of ballads, which are pleasant enough. There aren't any bad songs, but some are definitely more interesting and adventurous than others. My favorites are "Jena Ridens," "Le Scimmie," "Lo Stregone," and "Le Giraffe." "Jena Ridens" is darker and more sinister than the others. The drums are great, with some nice varied rhythms. Piano and organ excel on this song as well. "Le Scimmie" has a great groove with drums and bass (really strong rhythm section on this album) and also features wonderful flute playing. "Lo Stregone" is quite interesting, with some tribal drums underlying a church organ and plainchant type vocal. Over all of these are spoken words, which unfortunately I can't understand?I'm sure it would only add to the wonderful effect! "Le Giraffe" also features a great groove, almost funky?the bass line is especially interesting, which is a bit more angular than expected. Once the fuzzed electric piano comes in raining down jazzy dissonances, the effect is superb.

All in all this is a fine example of early RPI, recorded at a time when the music was transitioning from beat bands to the fully developed RPI we know and love. To put this album into context, this predates the releases by PFM and Banco and was released at about the same time as the debuts of Delirium, Osanna, and Il Rovescio della Medaglia. This album is also contemporary with Le Orme's "Collage," their first post-beat attempt and a nice precursor of things to come, but not fully developed. "La Foresta" is a nice album, with some great, lots of good, and just a few forgettable moments. Three stars for content, plus a half star added because of the release year (rounded down for the site).

Send comments to Todd (BETA) | Report this review (#242019) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars Huh, somebody recommended me this music to review, so here I am, thanks Mawertyn. Important things has been said. Even I, who likes to exaggerate ratings cannot do so much here. Pop music as far as I can tell with a lot of symphonic influences and some experimental (weird) stuff, like Lo Stregone full of tribal drumming and Ancient Roman atmosphere. It all is dripped in early sound full of finding their own way, so from historical point of view it's quite good. OK, these so called pop influences aren't as big as presented. There is a lot of higher rated albums (in my collection) that are rated better (than planned 3 stars for this album). Except this weird "flick", it's very melodic, so when you want to raise morale, mood, both or something completely different (like flag), this album is great help.

4(-), to be honest, this album is like lite version of RPI classics. Not as much prog, but not so weak to drown it to low ratings. That's me, taking care of alleged underdogs.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#267196) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 20, 2010

Post a review of I LEONI "La Foresta"