KURKI

Kurki

Kurki Kurki album cover

Buy KURKI Music
Studio Album, released in 2008

1. Kaukaisen maan laulut (5:33)
2. Pilvilaivat (9:21)
3. Akasha (7:48)
4. Koti (6:15)
5. Perhosen siiven kuvioissa (5:46)

Search KURKI Kurki lyrics

Search KURKI Kurki tabs

Kaiti Kink / vocals
Jussi Heino / keyboards, guitar
Juho Järvensivu / guitar
Lauri Heikkilä / bass
Pasi Piitulainen / drums

available on 12" vinyl or mp3 download only
record label is Olo Levyt (OLOLP-001)

Thanks to Dean for the addition

KURKI MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KURKI Kurki Music

More places to buy KURKI music online Buy KURKI & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KURKI DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KURKI Kurki ratings distribution

KURKI Kurki reviews

Review by Prog-jester
4 stars As it frequently happens these days, young bands amaze me more than veterans, nevermind the genre. Finnish 'cranes', KURKI, lead by a gorgeous girl (yep, female vocals!), is a kind of such band too. I don't even know their names (and the exact number of musicians, too!), but all I know is that they're wonderful. Imagine a mix of late ANEKDOTEN, early LANDBERK, folksy ESPERS and post-trip- hoppy PAATOS, and you'll get the idea of KURKI's manner of playing music. As usual, there's more than this; lush arrangements, gentle melodies, top-notch musicianship, and the result is 35 minutes of a pure bliss! Besides, if you're lucky to get the vinyl version (there are no CDs, only vynil and digital download versions of KURKI's debut album), spot the artwork, it's nothing but brilliant! I'm happy to notice such good debuts this year from EQUUS, DAY WITHOUT DAWN (already defunct, ha-ha) and now KURKI, astonishing Finnish melancholic Modern Prog! 4,5 stars! Extremely recommended!!!

Send comments to Prog-jester (BETA) | Report this review (#189099) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 13, 2008

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars As soon as I overcame one personal problem (kurki means plural form of "edge of sliced bread, this darker and more thick part", which is quite laughable) and shook off happy mood, I was prepared to enter these dark Finnish waters (I wonder, is there something optimistic from this country ? Perfect music, indeed, but is there something happy, warm and pleasing ?).

This is probably Heavy Prog. Maybe blend of more types, but what's important, manages to bring mystery, energy-like style into my mind. Woman vocals are almost hypnotic, these are psychedelic traits. With ambient passages, or more like these "calm-to-maximum-extent" parts, where you can almost hear wind blowing, slow saxophone playing (Pilviaivat)

Oh, these names are quite hard to spell, or write, but Finnish language is pleasant to hear. I know this for some time because of other F. bands, but this is perhaps first modern bands from this country I'm listening, so I'm pleased. Of course, every female vocals in prog can please a soul of man, as they are rare here (as much as probably in every genre, except pop). I can guess that these songs, feeling I have about this album is, well, ambiguous, divided. I like it, but at the same moment I don't exactly know what I like (just non-certain bits), leaving me little bit unsatisfied. But (now comes this weird point) also satisfied, as I said, more meaning of this music, a lot of feeling you are put through at the same moment.

And that's good thing, so 4(+) with leaning towards five star.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#244511) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
4 stars It's six years since the release of this Finnish debut album - and that was that? Please, c'mon, there are already too many good prog bands with only one Long-Player! LP literally in this case; Kurki came out as a vinyl (containg a download code) but not on CD. By the way, KURKI is not a plural form of crane but a single form. The album - only about 35 minutes in total - consists of five tracks all sung in Finnish by a beautiful female voice.

The opening track (= Songs of distant Eartth; I see no connection to A. C. Clarke's SF novel of the same name) has the fastest tempo and it approaches the trippy Space Rock of e.g. HIDRIA SPACEFOLK, only with vocals. The 9½-minute 'Pilvilaivat' (= Cloud ships) has a melancholic, dreamy song in its core, which is at least for me the most memorable highlight. Kaiti Kink's vocals remind me of Jenni Vartiainen, one of Finland's best-selling female pop artists recently. And this is not a negative remark. In fact Kaiti is even better singer than Jenni who has turned her sigh-loaded mannerism into a trade mark. Anyway, this song is a wonderful fusion of accessible pop balladry and extended prog composing. The lovely, hazy sound has softly sparkling guitars, but it's really the vocals that crown this beauty. Also the esoteric, solace-seeking lyrics are fine, they would stand on their own as poetry.

The second side starts with 'Akasha', no idea what it is. The whole album's lyrics are indeed esoteric, and metaphoric. "Distant echoes, fragile images", and: "The spirit blows wherever it wants / the night can remove the barriers of time". Musically this track of just under 8 minutes shares some of the haziness of 'Pilvilaivat' but with darker edge. 'Koti' (= Home) continues in that melancholic and rather slow & dreamy direction, but in the halfway comes a heavier section à la PORCUPINE TREE. The powerful lyrics deal with domestic violence.

The last title means "In the patterns of butterfly wings". More or less similar mix of hazy and harder elements in a melancholic mood. Some Swedish bands such as PAATOS may come to mind. Perhaps this album remains too short and single-minded, that is, a wider variety in structures and moods would have done good. But it is full of emotionally strong beauty that could be enjoyed by many more listeners, also by those who don't care about the prog labeling. It's truly sad if this relatively hard-to-find band has been discovered by a small bunch of prog enthusiasts only, and if these gifted musicians haven't continued music-making in some form.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#1213777) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 15, 2014

3 stars Strange thing is how fast the music flows - the track lengths feel like they're half of the real length, though there isn't even notably very different phases. Kaukaisen maan laulut (1.) is much like Hidria Spacefolk, combined with somehow ethereal female vocals and some Kingston-Wall-like ins ... (read more)

Report this review (#185058) | Posted by progressive | Wednesday, October 08, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KURKI "Kurki"