ARGUS THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS

Buy WISHBONE ASH Music
Studio Album, released in 2008

1. Time Was (9:59)
2. Sometime World (7:43)
3. The King Will Come (6:40)
4. Leaf And Stream (4:16)
5. Warrior (5:57)
6. Throw Down The Sword (5:54)
7. Blowin' Free (5:24)

- Rob Hewins / drums & percussion and vocals
- Danny Willson / lead guitar and vocals
- Keith Buck / lead guitar and vocals

Special Guests
- John Wetton / harmony vocals (track 6)
- Geoff Downs / hammond organ (track 6)

CD Mystic Records MYS CD 201
Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash - 35th Anniversary remake of the acclaimed Argus album

Thanks to DocB for the addition

WISHBONE ASH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy WISHBONE ASH Argus Through The Looking Glass Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
ArgusArgus
PilgrimagePilgrimage
Island UK 1991
Trance VisionaryTrance Visionary
Resurgence UK 1999

More places to buy WISHBONE ASH music online Buy WISHBONE ASH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for WISHBONE ASH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

WISHBONE ASH Argus Through The Looking Glass ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(12%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(18%)

WISHBONE ASH Argus Through The Looking Glass reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars A pretty fair forgery

..so Mr Waters described "A momentary lapse of reason" when the other three members of Pink Floyd decided to carry on without him. That too is what we have here. I quite understand that original bassist Martin Turner wanted to include the "Argus" album in his version of the band's live set. I understand too, that this meant rehearsals in a studio, and that the temptation to record the album in the studio again would have been tempting. What I do not understand is why these recordings were released as an official album. Is this a tribute to the lead guitarists he will not now work with? Is it some misguided rites of passage? Is it an attempt to claim more than a due share of the credit for the masterpiece which stunned us all in 1972? Who knows! The only person who played on both the original and this version though is said bassist/vocalist Martin Turner.

There is no denying the magnificence of the music which is the foundation of this album. There is no denying either the competence of the musicians who play on it. There is therefore no denying that this is a very enjoyable recording. What it is though, is nothing more than a tribute album. In the same way as The Musical Box, The Australian Pink Floyd Show, and many more emulate their heroes note for note, so "Argus through the looking glass" emulates the 1972 original. While listening to this version, I find myself constantly comparing it to the original, and finding it to be slightly inferior every time. That inferiority is probably as much to do with a familiarity with the original ingrained over almost 40 years as it is with any actual shortcomings.

I do find her though that the vocals are generally less satisfactory, sounding rather dull and technical. Likewise for me, while the twin lead guitars, the essence of the album, are played impeccably they lack the emotion instilled by those who wrote and recorded the tracks. When we are reminded that one of the lead guitarists here is a former member of Showaddywaddy, he may well love the music he is participating in but he is simply mimicking someone else's music.

There are minor variances here, one track is about a minute longer, another a bit shorter. The track sequence is bizarrely altered too, so that "Throw down the sword" is no longer the finale. Talking of "Throw down the sword", the organ here is played by guest Geoff Downes, while John Wetton also pops by to add harmony vocals to the same track. I have to say though that the pre-vocal guitar part of this track sounds awful here, it is tantamount to sacrilege!

I find it hard to assess an album such as this. I thoroughly enjoy listening to it, as it is close enough to the original to be all but immune from criticism on that level. For me though, it is not quite as good, and is therefore something of a pointless exercise. Why bother with this album when remastered versions of the original are readily available? To that extent, this album is simultaneously essential and totally redundant.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#454827) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 30, 2011

4 stars Argus In Wonderland: While rehearsing for their Argus Tour, Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash (MTWA) decided to rerecord the Argus album using the latest studio technology. Do we need a new Argus album? Perhaps not. We have the 30th anniversary remastered edition with bonus live tracks. We have the 35 ... (read more)

Report this review (#186913) | Posted by DocB | Saturday, October 25, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of WISHBONE ASH "Argus Through The Looking Glass"