WOVEN CORD

Iona Woven Cord album cover

Buy IONA Music
Live, released in 1999

1. Overture (5:01)
2. Bi-Se I Mo Shuil pt. 1 (2:33)
3. Man (13:01)
4. White Sands (4:15)
5. Murlough Bay (4:17)
6. Dancing on the Wall (5:27)
7. Encircling (12:24)
8. Lindisfarne (7:52)
9. Revelation (7:00)
10. Woven Cord (9:25)
11. Beyond These Shores (6:53)

Search IONA Woven Cord lyrics

Search IONA Woven Cord tabs

- Joanne Hogg / vocals, keyboard, acoustic guitar
- Dave Bainbridge / electric & acoustic guitars, keyboards, bozouki
- Troy Donockley / uilleann pipes, whistles, cittern, electric & acoustic guitars, vocals
- Phil Barker / bass guitar
- Frank Van Essen / drums, percussion, violin, vocals

GUESTS:
- Nick Beggs / chapman stick (Man & Revelation)
- Tim Harris / double bass
- Marlou Van Essen / backing vocal Lindisfarne, Dancing on the Wall, Revelation All Souls Orchestra / conductor: Noel Tredinnick)

CD Alliance Music (1999)
CD Open Sky Records OPENVP6CD

and to Grendelbox for the last updates

IONA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IONA Woven Cord Music

Heaven's Bright Sun - LiveHeaven's Bright Sun - Live
Forefront 1997
Tryst / Adam's Rib / Meditation On Iona Swensen Macmillan / Sc CD US $18.06 Buy It Now 11h 3m
David Fitzgerald-Lux Aeterna CD Celtic IONA RareUK Only Release Brand-New Sealed US $21.95 Buy It Now 12h 40m
Iona (CD New) US $10.33 Buy It Now 12h 48m
Iona CD US $13.49 Buy It Now 13h 8m
IONA - IONA - NEW CD US $13.50 Buy It Now 15h 10m
THE SKIDS uk 7" 45, IONA~BLOOD AND SOIL, Virgin 449, 1981 US $6.30 Buy It Now 15h 19m
1984 IONA BROWN Vivaldi Cello Concertos on Philips 411 1261, NETHERLANDS US $9.99 [0 bids]
OSSIAN Dove Across The Water LP Gaelic Iona 1982 US $25.00 Buy It Now 18h 51m
Hoffmeister Two Concertante Symphonies IONA BROWN KLÖCKER clarinet EMI LP MINT US $5.00 [0 bids]
Iona - Open Sky NEW CD US $20.29 Buy It Now 21h 58m
Iona [CD New] US $16.06 Buy It Now 1 day
Fireworks Music / Alexander's Feast, Iona Brown, Marriner, Handel, Good US $6.81 Buy It Now 1 day
IONA - BEYOND THESE SHORES - OPENVP3CD US $14.78 Buy It Now 1 day
IONA - JOURNEY INTO THE MOON - OPENVP9CD US $23.08 Buy It Now 1 day
A celebration of hymns golden songs of praise from Iona US $4.14 Buy It Now 1 day
Handel: Concerti Grossi Op. 6 Nos. 1-4, Iona Brown US $12.99 [0 bids]
Vintage 78 RPM Andy Iona And His Orchestra Lot of 5 Records Album US $9.99 [0 bids]
Classical  Mozart  Symphonies  No 33 K319  No 35 K385  Iona Brown   Sealed US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
78RPM Columbia 35524 Andy Iona HAWAIIAN WAR SONG / HAWAIIAN DRINKING SONG US $5.00 [0 bids]
78RPM Columbia 35525 Miulan & Andy Iona MAID OF HONOLULU / DO NOT FORGET ME US $9.00 [0 bids]
DECCA CD 4674322: VIVALDI Violin Concertos - Iona Brown, Loveday ++ 2008 CDA SS US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Father's by The Humpff Family (CD, 1994, Iona Records) US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Iona Live: Heaven's Bright Sun Iona CD US $24.62 Buy It Now 2 days
Bartok: Violin Concerto N. 2 Iona Brown Simon Rattle Argo US $10.00 [0 bids]
Iona CD US $16.87 Buy It Now 2 days
IONA "IONA" UK 12 TRACK TAPE 1990 ex US $3.06 Buy It Now 2 days
Open Sky - Iona (2006, CD New) US $11.91 Buy It Now 2 days
Iona - Songs For Luca (CD New) US $13.93 Buy It Now 2 days
Iona - Open Sky [CD New] US $17.69 Buy It Now 2 days
Open Sky Iona CD US $14.70 Buy It Now 2 days
UK ASV GEMINIANI CONCERTI GROSSI OPUS 7 AOSMITF IONA BROWN NM US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Iona - Songs For Luca [CD New] US $21.78 Buy It Now 2 days
IONA - OPEN SKY NEW CD US $25.04 Buy It Now 2 days
IONA - SONGS FOR LUCA NEW CD US $29.24 Buy It Now 2 days
Mendelssohn Octet, Boccherini Quintet - Iona Brown Argo ZRG 569 NM US $14.00 Buy It Now 2 days
CD: The Buzz, A Show Of Hands Vol 5, (religious) Skillet Phatfish Downpour Iona US $3.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Telemann / Academy Of St. Martin In The Fields / Iona Brown / Philips Digital NM US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
IONA COMMUNITY coming and going LP 7 track (p105) uk action 0 US $8.39 Buy It Now 3 days
New Trident Blue Field ARPEGGIO OF BLUE STEEL CD Japan Anime Iona Takao Haruna US $30.00 Buy It Now 3 days
SEALED MOZART Violin Concerto/Sinfonia IONA BROWN/SUK Decca Digital US US $10.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Handel: The Conqu'ring Hero SIR NEVILLE MARRINER, IONA BROWN (4 CD, Philips) US $31.96 Buy It Now 3 days
PHILIPS Vivaldi FOUR SEASONS Iona BROWN Shrinkwrap 9500 717 NM/NM US $9.00 Buy It Now 3 days
The Eye of the Eagle by Dave Bainbridge, David Fitzgerals, D.Adam ~ New CD, Iona US $9.95 Buy It Now 3 days
7" Andy Iona/Sol Hoopi 33 rpm Microgroove Columbia 1-505 Hawiian War Song Leilan US $0.99 [1 bids]
ANDY IONA / SOL HOOPII - Rare COLUMBIA 33 1/3 7" record - HAWAIIAN STEEL GUITAR US $5.99 Buy It Now 3 days
~Suk Ruzickova Alain Brown Iona~RARE 2 LP ZDF PRIVATE MINT~Haendel Bach US $29.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Iona Beyond these Shores CD SEALED Treasure US $9.99 [0 bids]
Mozart-Serenade KV 250 "Haffner"-CD-Philips-416 154-2-Marriner-Iona Brown-ASMF US $14.45 [0 bids]
South Sea Island Magic 1936 Sheet Music by Lysle Tomerlin & Andy Iona Long US $4.50 [0 bids]
IONA/VARIOUS ARTISTS - SONGS FOR LUCA - NEW CD BOXSET US $21.78 Buy It Now 4 days
Haydn Cello Concertos D Major C Major Mstislav Rostropovich Iona Brown Angel LP US $10.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Baz Inq. "Something Everybody" Iona DJ-ONLY advance CD US $9.97 [0 bids]
The Accordion Artistry Of Nick Shigrov/ Iona/ SEALED US $22.95 Buy It Now 4 days
Mozart: Violin Concertos by Gerard Poulet, Iona Brown, Nobuko Imai Viola 2 CD's! US $11.99 Buy It Now 4 days
SKIDS Iona AUSSIE 7" w/PS Big Country US $17.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Journey into the Morn by Iona (CD, Feb-1996, Chordant) US $0.01 [0 bids]
DAVID BLAKE VIOLIN CONCERTO IONA BROWN IN PRAISE OF KRISHNA TERESA CAHILL ARGO US $29.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Wolfstone Unleashed CD 1991 Iona / Green Linnet Celtic Folk Rock US $2.99 [0 bids]
Wolfstone The Chase CD 1992 Iona / Green Linnet Celtic Folk Rock US $2.99 [0 bids]
MINT/M- CLASSICAL QUAD LP~MSTISLAV ROSTROPOVICH~HAYDN CELLO CONCERTOS~IONA BROWN US $19.99 Buy It Now 5 days
VINTAGE ANDY IONA HAWAIIAN MUSIC " ALOHA HAWAII " 78 RPM 4 RECORD ALBUM US $42.00 [0 bids]
David Fitzgerald-Light Eternal CD Brand New-Sealed-IONA US $5.99 Buy It Now 5 days
? DAVE BAINBRIDGE DAVID FITZGERALD Eagle CD Iona Christian Celtic TAIWAN MISSION US $3.99 [0 bids]
BROWN, Iona [Telemann: Violin Concertos] 83 PHILIPS US $17.99 Buy It Now 5 days
THE TOBACCO TAGS My Own Iona BLUEBIRD Hillbilly 78-8420 I'm Sorry It Ended This US $5.99 [0 bids]
James MacMillan: Tryst; í (A Meditation on Iona); Adam's Rib; They Saw the Stone US $17.25 Buy It Now 6 days
Mozart Horn Concertos No 1-4 CD Tomothy Iona Brown US $4.99 [0 bids]
HAYDN / IONA BROWN - SYMPHONIES 44 45 & 49 NEW CD US $26.17 Buy It Now 6 days
IONA NEW CD US $23.11 Buy It Now 6 days
IONA - HEAVEN'S BRIGHT SUN NEW CD US $33.06 Buy It Now 6 days
Iona-Beyond These Shores CASSETTE (Brand New-Sealed)* US $4.99 Buy It Now 6 days
JULIAN BREAM and his friends GEORGE MALCOLM Iona Brown CECIL ARONOWITZ RCA US $13.43 Buy It Now 6 days
Iona-Journey Into The Mourn CASSETTE FREE SHIPPING Celtic (Brand New-Sealed) US $4.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Mozart Violin Concerto no 2 Iona Brown Josef Suk 411613-1 LP US $10.00 Buy It Now 6 days
On the Forefront "best of rock & rap" CD 1991, DC Talk, DeGarmo & Key, Iona, ETW US $9.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Best Loved Classics, Vol. 5 by Montserrat Caballé, Rudolf Buchbinder, Iona... US $1.99 Buy It Now 6 days
IONA - OPEN SKY - NEW CD US $14.71 Buy It Now 6 days
PHILIPS DIGITAL JS Bach HEINZ HOLLIGER Iona Brown 3 OBOE CONCERTOS 6514 304 NM- US $10.00 Buy It Now 6 days
IONA C PERROW multitudes in the valley of decisions LP VG+ Private Black Gospel US $32.00 Buy It Now 6 days
PHILIPS IMPORT LP VIVALDI LE QUATTRO STAGIONI IONA BROWN VIOLIN Shrink w/ Insert US $24.99 Buy It Now 6 days
THE GLASGOW PHOENIX CHOIR - Iona Abbey (UK 17 Tk CD Album) US $8.39 Buy It Now 6 days
TRULS MORK, IONA BROWN - HAYDN cello concertos SIMAX CD STILL SEALED US $14.99 Buy It Now 6 days
THE BARRA MACNEILS THE TRADITIONAL ALBUM iona records US $25.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Norwegian Chamber Orchestra - Iona Brown & The Norwegian C [CD New] US $15.61 Buy It Now 7 days
PHILIPS PHCP-9270 MOZART SINFONIA CONCERTANTE IONA BROWN NOBUKO IMAI JAPAN CD US $29.99 Buy It Now 7 days
78 RARE ANDY IONA AND EDDIE DUNSTEDTER SONG OF THE ISLANDS ALOHA OE US $9.99 Buy It Now 7 days
W.A.MOZART SYMPHONY #35/SERENADE NO.7 IONA BROWN US $1.99 Buy It Now 7 days
MOZART VIOLIN CONCERTOS * IONA BROWN & THE ACADEMY OF ST,MARTIN-IN-THE-FIELDS US $8.00 Buy It Now 7 days
1995 IONA Journey Into The Morn CD US $3.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Best Loved Classics, Vol. 5 by Montserrat Caballé, Rudolf Buchbinder, Iona... US $0.99 Buy It Now 8 days
IONA BROWN Bartok Violin Concerto 2 LONDON LP 414 531 1 NM nice US $13.95 Buy It Now 8 days
ANDY IONA & HIS ISLANDERS Hawaiian "My Rose of Waikiki" US $14.99 Buy It Now 8 days
ANDY IONA & HIS ISLANDERS Hawaiian "Indebted To You" US $14.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Iona Brown/ASMF: Mozart Violin Concertos Nos. 3 & 4 (r. 1979) - Decca 6.42407 US $27.16 Buy It Now 8 days
Serenade Famous Classical Works CD Iona Brown OOP NEW US $5.99 Buy It Now 8 days
SOMETHING FOR EVERYBODY Music From The House Of Iona CD Digipak US $9.29 Buy It Now 8 days
Skids(7" Vinyl)Iona-Virgin-VS 449-UK-Ex/VG US $11.99 Buy It Now 8 days
IONA BROWN**HANDEL/BOIELDIEU/DITTERSDORF: HARP CONCERTOS**CD US $11.95 Buy It Now 8 days
78 rpm ANDY IONA & HIS ISLANDERS minnehaha hawaiian stomp / war song ta-hu-wa-hu US $25.21 Buy It Now 8 days
PHILIPS Mendelssohn OCTET/STRING QUARET Iona Brown 9500 616 NM/NM US $9.00 Buy It Now 8 days

More places to buy IONA music online Buy IONA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IONA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IONA Woven Cord ratings distribution

IONA Woven Cord reviews

Review by loserboy
PROG REVIEWER Honorary Reviewer
4 stars On May 29th, 1999 IONA performed a magical concert with the "All Souls Orchestra" at London's Royal Festival Hall marking a return not only to live concerts for IONA but the first time they combined a full orchestra with their spiritual progressive celtic rock. The end result is a highly uplifting live album which works exceptionally well from many perspectives. The sound quality on this CD is excellent with a nice micing job as the orchestra really fits in well and accents the music of IONA never outdoing or masking the talents of the band. Musically IONA are a mix of Celtic and progressive rock genres with highly compassionate music full of soul and inspriation. The music performed is a mix from their 4 studio albums and highlight for me is the 12 mins epic "Encircling" which is re- presented live here quite brilliantly. An excellent live album for sure and a unique way to hear IONA.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#16099) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 30, 2004

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
4 stars This was my first encounter (if PA's mp3's are not counted) with this Celtic Prog Folk band that I'm very willing to hear some more! IONA have a lot of folk elements - Uillean pipes, tin whistles, violin... even Gaelic language here and there - and a clean female voice, so the natural comparison is CLANNAD. Their main difference is of course that Clannad is not progressive (instead it's whole lot poppier) and IONA is. They have a Christian attitude which honestly isn't very much heard in their music. This one is a concert with All Souls Orchestra in 1999. The orchestral arrangements are carefully done by the other leading figure besides Joanne Hogg, guitarist Dave Bainbridge. I presume I'd prefer IONA without the presence of an orchestra.

In other words, I got a bit bored with, for example, tender instrumental 'Overture' and other orchestral moments. I don't much remember the individual songs after three listenings; though some tracks have more rock elements than others, the whole of it may lack some extra spice. Maybe it gets better with further listenings. There were some excellent guitar solos and the music is good all the way, but I guess there was not a track that I was DEEPLY charmed by. But as I said, I'm hoping to hear their studio albums. My feelings of this sounding perhaps too mild, edgeless and clean is after all not a reason enough to rate it less than 4 stars.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#143807) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 12, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars I have never liked these combinations between rock music and an orchestra. IMO, these genre do not sit well together. My experience with such works started in 1972 when I was offered the cassette of "Concerto For Group And Orchestra by Deep Purple". I was thirteen.

In between, I have listened to several of these ("Yes", "Tull" etc). And my perception has not drastically changed since then. One of the very few album I really like in this genre is "El Dorado" ("ELO"); but this is an integrant part of their style since the band has always used some chords.

My worries with this album were that the orchestra would have a prominent and invading role here. And this is fully confirmed during the "Overture". A pure orchestral track (just like "White Sands").

As far as the track list is concerned, there are several songs from their first two albums which I didn't like very much (two stars) "Iona" ("White Sands", "Dancing On The Wall"), and "The Book Of Kells" ("Revelation").

There are a few unreleased tracks featured as well. The obvious "Woven chord" which is an instrumental featuring a good guitar solo. This song is more attractive than most of the other numbers played; even if the orchestra is very much present during several parts.

"Man" is the longest number from this live album. It effectively combines an upbeat tempo (compared to the rest of the album), good guitar work and tranquil passages. A good résumé of their work. Joanne being perfect as usual. Only the middle part is a little weaker; but since it is only for a few moments, it is not too bad.

The closing number "Beyond These Shores" is the third one of that kind. A very soft song featuring some excellent vocals (but this is one of their TM even if their songs do have lots of instrumental parts).

The global mood of this album is rather monochord. Pleasant while you are doing another activity but rather difficult to grab your full attention while listening to it attentively (as I have done for this review).

There is one album I really appreciated in their discography. It is "Open Sky" which was released after this live one. So, if ever you would like to discover this band I rather recommend this one. In terms of live offerings, I preferred "Heaven's Bright Sun".

This one is for die-hard fans only. Some pleasant folk music, yes. But this is rather dispensable. Two stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#155221) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 12, 2007

5 stars Iona has become one of the mst intersting bands I know. Their intricate combination of tranquil musical passages with outbursts of guitar and Uillean pipes are, in my opinion, very attractive. But sometimes the song writing seems to be a little unclear, as if melodies and chords come to a point ... (read more)

Report this review (#159025) | Posted by Theo Verstrael | Saturday, January 19, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Simply stated, one of the best "live" cds that I have ever heard! Sort of a greatest hits collection. I bought this based on numerous critical and fan reviews that I read. I had not even heard a single note of Iona's music before I acquired "Woven Cord"! I have purchased more of their releases, bas ... (read more)

Report this review (#16098) | Posted by | Thursday, January 01, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IONA "Woven Cord"