Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

- Travis Smith / Album Art

Released: October 27, 2008 in UK
Released: November 11, 2008 in Rest of the World
by Peaceville UK
1,000 special edition copies included a slip case (as shown), extended artwork, and 5 post cards featuring each of the band members.

Thanks to Jake Kobrin for the addition
and to progkidjoel for the last updates

OPETH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy OPETH The Roundhouse Tapes Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Pale CommunionPale Communion
Roadrunner Records 2014
Deliverance & Damnation RemixedDeliverance & Damnation Remixed
Imports 2015
Ghost ReveriesGhost Reveries
HiFi Sound
Roadrunner Records 2005
Deliverance & Damnation (2CD w/ 2DVD and Book)Deliverance & Damnation (2CD w/ 2DVD and Book)
The End Records 2015
Roadrunner Records 2011
The Candlelight YearsThe Candlelight Years
Box set
Candlelight 2009

More places to buy OPETH music online Buy OPETH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for OPETH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

OPETH The Roundhouse Tapes ratings distribution

OPETH The Roundhouse Tapes reviews

Review by Finnforest
3 stars Puts you in the room

"The Roundhouse Tapes" dvd finds Opeth filmed at the famous Camden Roundhouse live in 2006. The home viewer can expect to be treated to some beautiful camera work showcasing the band-talk about feeling like you are on the stage with the band! You are right there. The lighting was odd in that they keep the main room lights up most of the time, so the crowd is clearly visible during the whole show. This was done to show off the tenacity of the fans who are clearly having the time of their lives. So perhaps more than most dvds you really get the perspective of this entire show, band, fans, and venue right in your home. I didn't really notice any sound problems noted by other reviewers, the sound was pretty solid to me. The setlist included a decent overview of material from the band's long career. I also didn't notice the weariness in the members noted by other players, they seemed in fine form here despite the less than scintillating between-song banter offered by Mr. Akerfeldt. Musically we have the same Opeth two-trick pony I've come to expect. Very talented musicians flipping the switch back and forth from their angry thrash to their narcotic clean modes, filling around the edges with lovely little leads and odd chord progressions. Some of it can be amazingly beautiful, at other times it's really quite a yawn. I'm not yet one who has jumped on the bandwagon of this band's invincibility but there's no denying this is a good dvd experience and certainly valuable to fans. After the show they follow the fans out into the streets for comments and as you'd expect, there is much exuberance and determination to show off one's cursing skills. Extras include band interviews, more fan interviews, sound check footage, and still photos. Nice package.

Review by progkidjoel
3 stars A good live DVD with some smashing performances.

Opeth's followup to their moody 'Lamentations' DVD is a much higher energy show, featuring a career spanning setlist and much more up tempo light shows and band performances. Unfortunately, the recording quality doesn't really do the show justice - the audio quality could definitely be a lot better and the video is very patchy and low res.

Their are some fantastic performances here, specifically the second track 'Ghost of Perdition' (which is also my favourite Opeth track). The band explodes open with their signature sound and plays into folky interludes from death metal riffs flawlessly. Face Of Melinda is also stunning, although the bright lights at the softer, slower parts of the song kill the mood a little.

The choice of setlist is odd, but good none the less - with a selection of tracks from Orchid, Morningrise, My Arms Your Hearse, Still Life, Blackwater Park, Damnation and Ghost Reveries (their latest at the time of recording) there's a lot for any Opeth fan to listen to.

A great show, although hampered by poor production values and an odd, out of place choice of lighting.

3 stars.

Note: The 2CD option for the same show is much better; wonderful packaging for the 2 CD's, and much better recording audio reproduction.

4 stars Valuable music - Voluble Mike I'm a huge Opeth fan so I bought this release on spec. I'm not disappointed, oh no. Quite the opposite, it's one of the best live releases I've ever seen. Absolutely flawless execution, almost perfect sound, very good set list = fantastic DVD release! What is a ve ... (read more)

Report this review (#325838) | Posted by bartosso | Thursday, November 18, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Now I know that I have poorly peepers and deaf old tabs, but I fail to pick up on any video or any sound problems on this release, it all looks good and sounds good to me. The only quibble I have with the visuals is that occasionally the director sees fit to make it go all grainy, not to my ta ... (read more)

Report this review (#300056) | Posted by Nickslikk2112 | Wednesday, September 22, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of OPETH "The Roundhouse Tapes"