REPEAT - THE BEST OF JETHRO TULL - VOL. II

Jethro Tull Repeat - The Best Of Jethro Tull - Vol. II  album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy JETHRO TULL Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1977

1. Minstrel In The Gallery (4:16)
2. Cross-Eyed Mary (4:11)
3. A New Day Yesterday (4:10)
4. Bourée (3:45)
5. Thick As A Brick Edit #4 (3:27)
6. War Child (4:36)
7. A Passion Play Edit #9 (3:32)
8. To Cry You A Song (6:13)
9. Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young To Die (5:41)
10. Glory Row (3:32)

- Ian Anderson / flute, mouth organ, saxophone, mandolin, acoustic guitar, vocals (plays on all tracks)
- Martin Barre / electric guitar, acoustic guitar (plays on all tracks)
- Barriemore Barlow / drums, percussion (plays on tracks 1, 5 - 7 and 9 - 10)
- Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond / bass (plays on tracks 1, 2, 5 - 7 and 10)
- Clive Bunker / drums, percussion (plays on tracks 2 - 4 and 8)
- John Glascock / bass, vocals (plays on track 9)
- Glenn Cornick / bass (plays on tracks 3 - 4 and 8)
- John Evans / piano, organ, synthesizer, mellotron, piano accordion (plays on tracks 1, 2, 5 - 7 and 9 - 10)

Guest musicians:
- David Palmer / orchestration and conducting
- Maddy Prior / backing vocals on track 9

Buy JETHRO TULL Repeat - The Best Of Jethro Tull - Vol. II Music

More places to buy JETHRO TULL music online Buy JETHRO TULL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

JETHRO TULL Repeat - The Best Of Jethro Tull - Vol. II ratings distribution

JETHRO TULL Repeat - The Best Of Jethro Tull - Vol. II reviews

Review by The Whistler
3 stars (A 3.5. I know, I know...)

Alright Mr. I Hate Compilations, what do you think of this one? Well, I still find it to be an unessential album when compared to its competition. However, I've got to admit, Repeat, the second volume of white-covered "best ofs," impresses me more than M.U. ever could.

First off, a more interesting selection. That is, there are less singles and unreleased stuff, but there's more diversity. We kick off with a "Minstrel in the Gallery" edit. Arguably the best part of the best Tull song, but still, I'd rather hear the whole thing. "Cross Eyed Mary" gives another Aqualung standard, but it's cool.

"A New Day Yesterday" and "Bouree" give us a refreshing look at the bloozy/jazzy side of Tull. The representative from Thick this time is the "I've Come Down From the Upper Class" movement, I've no qualms with that. We follow with the orchestral "Warchild," and "Passion Play #9," the "Flee the Icy Lucifer" bit. That's okay, I guess.

"To Cry You a Song" is here, this compilation's "Fat Man." A shame it's been forgotten. "Too Old to Rock 'n Roll" is represented in its entirety, and "Glory Row" is our unreleased Passion Play/Warchild fodder. It's a somewhat folksy rocker with groovy guitar noises and decent sax and mandolin. I guess you could call it the best, if you're not in for "Minstrel" edits.

So, there's less bonus stuff, singles et al, but there's more variety. Think, every album that was represented on M.U. is here, but so are Too Old, Minstrel (the most recent albums) AND Benefit, which wasn't here at all before. Plus, some blues Tull style are here, and that was truly missed on the first.

Beyond that, I actually approve of the flow of the songs on this album, which go together much better than M.U. Obviously I'm not going to call it an essential (or better than "good") album, but it's definitely more accomplished than M.U. It's also easier to find (for whatever reason), not that you'd want it.

Huh. A compilation I can actually listen to. Hmm. Better not think about that...

2 stars I would not call this anywhere near essential Jethro Tull. For one thing, there are the same problems with creating edits of longer tunes that was found on the first MU greatest hits album. "Minstrel in the Gallery" edit, "Thick as a Brick" edit, and "A Passion Play" edit. Why bother even putt ... (read more)

Report this review (#445809) | Posted by mohaveman | Wednesday, May 11, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of JETHRO TULL "Repeat - The Best Of Jethro Tull - Vol. II "